It’s come to this: The War on Bacon is real

posted at 9:21 pm on August 26, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Capitulation is not the answer when it comes to these neighborhood narcs. Whether they’re ratting out your kid’s lemonade stand to regulators or sniffing at your choice of fescue, or demanding local businesses remove their totally innocuous advertising, don’t give in.

BURLINGTON, Vt. — A Winooski restaurant’s decision to take down a bacon advertisement has become the center of an online backlash.

“It’s blown up beyond all imagination,” City Manager Katherine “Deac” Decarreau said in an interview Monday.

Last week, Sneakers Bistro and Cafe removed a sign reading “Yield for Sneakers Bacon” from a garden at the Winooski Rotary after a woman who described herself as “a vegan and a member of a Muslim household” called the sign offensive in a post on Front Porch Forum.

“Given the large number of Muslim families in Winooski, as well as many others who do not eat pork for a variety of reasons, it seems unnecessary for this insensitive business sign to be at the city’s main crosswalk,” she wrote. The woman also complained that the sign “clutters an already dangerous crosswalk.”

Sneakers owner Marc Dysinger replied that the sign was meant to be fun and to show that the restaurant cares about Winooski and the gardens, but that it had lost its “relevance” due to recent traffic changes at the rotary. He apologized for the controversy.

This person is a miserable little local dictator on a power trip and we needn’t indulge him or her in American society. The word bacon is not insensitive. There is no way it can be characterized as such. There have always been plenty of people in Burlington, Vt. who don’t eat meat or pork and yet remain admirably able to countenance the English language within their line of sight. On one hand, I have sympathy for the store owners who were trying to get out of a pickle as soon as possible, and are no doubt surrounded by PC bullies on all sides because they’re in Burlington, Vt. But they have simply emboldened such complainers in the future, whose anonymous whinging can be deployed to trump the rest of our rights— first among them the right to amply advertised bacon specials, obviously.

I’m being a bit flip, but this is actually pretty serious. If the word bacon can be deemed offensive by one person— a single member of one’s community— and thus eliminated from the public discourse, there will be plenty of other formerly innocuous words deemed the same, and then exactly how free is your speech?

Take this last moment to revel in the supreme irony of the City Manager’s lofty idea of her city compared with the reality on the ground. it is rich:

“Winooski is a diverse community, and we like it that way,” Decarreau said. “It’s uncomfortable, but discomfort can be a source of growth, not just a source of anger and frustration. I think as a community we’ll work through this. It’s unfortunate that the country seems to be reacting to reports that are blown significantly out of proportion and don’t represent what actually happened.”

Yes, encountering opposing viewpoints can be uncomfortable and lead to growth. But no one in Winooski is in any danger of encountering anything they disagree with because the aim of the community appears to be to remove even the most innocuous messages to prevent such discomfort. So, the discomfort is felt only by those who were perfectly comfortable with diversity to begin with and had the temerity to believe tolerance in a famously liberal city might extend to advertisements for pork products.

“We welcome a rich and respectful dialogue among the people that live, work and dine here,” Decarreau added in the statement. “We believe that diversity and dialogue is a critical part of what makes us a truly desirable place to be.”

No, you don’t. You welcome eliminating words from the public square because one person finds them offensive. You are left with stifled, shallow adherence to an ever-changing standard of acceptability. That is the exact opposite of rich and respectful dialogue.

And, in a somewhat related story, health experts and government officials have been preaching nonsense about salt for years. I will fight this fight to the bitter end.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hate effin Flo.

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM</blockquot

If anyone has a right to be offended by bacon, it's you.

itsacookbook on August 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Tell the barbarian dogs their moon god is really Satan and we use their holy books for toilet paper.

Any business that kow-tows to such heathen intimidation will never see a penny of my money.

Adjoran on August 26, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Cripes. Sounds as bad as Portland (either one.) What is it with these northern edge-of-the-country cities? Oh wait, white libtards.

Moron Labe on August 26, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Despite Burlington, Vermont really is a pretty nice place.

fragglerock61 on August 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Which elects a socialist to represent them in the U.S. Senate.

Jaibones on August 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Sadly yes, although I never understood how. And yet at the same time we also have the most lax gun laws in the country. Go fig.

fragglerock61 on August 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Who wants to go in with me to purchase a billboard in that town which shows and advertises bacon? :)

Theophile on August 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I’d be more than happy to shove a piece of bacon up that woman’s ass!

OR is that too insensitive?

GarandFan on August 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Theophile on August 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Actually billboards are illegal in Vermont, and signs of any sort are highly regulated. Honestly I am surprised this business got their sign up in the first place.

fragglerock61 on August 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I worked for a time at a merchant bank in London whose management decreed that bacon sandwiches were banned as certain managers were offended by the smell. The day after the decree someone put half a pound of bacon in a microwave set for 15 minutes. This happened every morning until the decree was reversed.

lexhamfox on August 27, 2014 at 1:28 AM

“The woman also complained that the sign “clutters an already dangerous crosswalk.”
Been to Europe lately? You can’t walk a few blocks that you don’t have to step over smelly muslims on dirty prayer rugs. They’re offensive, and dangerously block the sidewalks and crosswalks.
Unless they smell like bacon, they should be removed…permanently?

AppraisHer on August 27, 2014 at 1:30 AM

#LGBT Lettuce, guacamole, bacon, tomato. The best vegetarian sammich ever invented. Well, almost veggie.

#bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon #bacon

Did I mention #bacon???

bbhack on August 27, 2014 at 3:28 AM

The thing I don’t like about the diversity creed is how monocultural it is. Also it creates a very hostile environment for people who don’t follow it. And as for Vegans, well I love all living things, not just cuddly ones. I always say, that lettuce you’re eating is alive. Plants can feel too. They never have an answer.

On another note, I’ve gone back to eating pork because it seems in Europe most of our meat is Halal (it’s cheaper because it doesn’t have to follow strict animal welfare rules). So I figure the way to avoid that is eat pork.

Esperanza on August 27, 2014 at 3:41 AM

Esperanza on August 27, 2014 at 3:41 AM

I have to disagree. Halal meat is as good as any other. The fact of the matter is America is bacon poor. Give me a European rasher over that American SHITE any day.

lexhamfox on August 27, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Seriously… Americans don;t even know what bacon is. Canadian do.. Brits do, Danes do. Americans know nothing about bacon. It’s a crying shame. Living in the US is like living in Mecca or Tel Aviv when it come to bacon.

lexhamfox on August 27, 2014 at 4:07 AM

So, a mere picture of bacon is offensive to Muslims?

Hmmmmmmmmmm….

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 27, 2014 at 5:17 AM

We should drop bacon bombs on the Mideast and install bacon air fresheners in Toyota Prius’.

kregg on August 27, 2014 at 6:19 AM

People need to boycott this restaurant and drive them out of business to prove a point. Would the worthless, putrid, vile piece of human garbage that pretended to be offended object to watching Footloose since Kevin Bacon appears in it? It’s time for real Americans to extend both middle fingers to all things leftist and Demoncrat. They are truly a disgusting parasitic plague.

acetylene420 on August 27, 2014 at 6:26 AM

It’s time to employ our most powerful weapon against Muslims – the pig. Crop dusters spraying mosques. A syringe of freshly drawn pig blood will strike fear in the heart of the most hardened Mohammed sycophant. A simple announcement by the military that henceforth all bullets and explosives will not be stored in silicon based grease, but pig grease, would scare the Prophet out of every scum that confronts the US military. Why don’t we have the stones to take the gloves off and hit these a-holes where it hurts them?

Count Mahdrof on August 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Borders, language, culture. Eventually this multicultural disuniting brings destabilization, conflict, ethnic cleansing, and catastrophe. In the end, whose villages will be shelled and razed with bulldozers?

Kenosha Kid on August 27, 2014 at 6:44 AM

What we need is an advertising campaign aimed straight at Winooski and Burlington VT that echoes the famous Chick Filet ad, Eat More ChiK’n.”

EAT MORE BACON!

mountainaires on August 27, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Dear Ms. Ham,

Any chance we can amend the 2nd and add bacon?

Tsar of Earth on August 27, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Political agitators win again under the guise of made up personal offense.

lexhamfox on August 27, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Epic. I would have loved to have been there everyday to see that.

Badger40 on August 27, 2014 at 7:49 AM

When the mere word BACON is offensive you’ve lost your mind to remove it.

The word is not the thing.

Silence is the virtue of fools.
Sir Francis Bacon

Wander on August 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Maybe they should stop serving it. That’ll mean more for me.

Kissmygrits on August 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM

They can have my bacon when they pry if from my cold, dead fingers.

myiq2xu on August 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Can’t eat bacon, but support beheading people????? Hmmm, sounds pretty insane….

chai on August 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM

So if I find the words Muslim, Allah, Muhammad, or Koran offensive, they’ll remove them from my public view?

conservative educator on August 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM

The good people of Smithfield, Virginia were unavailable for comment.
They were too busy makin’ bacon!

Galtian on August 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Kevin Bacon, it’s time to change your name, to Beef or some other politically correct name. The muslim, said so! (sarc)

Ship the muslims out, let the crusades begin!

Bacon, bacon, bacon!

Pork, the other white meat, love it.

woodhull on August 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM

In the “War on Terror” I think we are sadly underestimating the usefulness of pork.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Galtian on August 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM

All profits to benefit China.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I wonder if that restaurant has a “gun free zone” sign in the window…

ladyingray on August 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Not as much as I hate that damn Geico pig!

myiq2xu on August 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Weeeee!

The pig stays, Flo needs to go.

Fallon on August 27, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Not as much as I hate that damn Geico pig!

myiq2xu on August 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Weeeee!

The pig stays, Flo needs to go.

Fallon on August 27, 2014 at 9:06 AM

“Time to get back to vacation.”

Boots n’ pants boots n’ pants boots n’ pants boots n’ pants…….

BillH on August 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I even put salt on my bacon!!

Yum!

MaggiePoo on August 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I don’t believe that the person who complained and got the sign removed is actually a Muslim. This is classic lefty/vegan activist behavior. Muslims would certainly ban bacon in a society where they dominate but until they plant the flag, they have no interest in whether or not you eat bacon or advertise it.

Leftists, on the other hand, are very concerned with what other people eat and advertise and are eager to ban what they don’t approve of.

dkmonroe on August 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Muslim walks into a diner, recoils at the unexpected sight of bacon being served. Screams, “Would it kill you to put up a sign?”

Barnestormer on August 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Is this woman also offended by signs referencing dog crap, or is that something she eats?

Pablo on August 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM

…You welcome eliminating words from the public square because one person finds them offensive. You are left with stifled, shallow adherence to an ever-changing standard of acceptability. That is the exact opposite of rich and respectful dialogue.

Perfect.

rlwo2008 on August 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM

fragglerock61 on August 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Let’s see. This sign was in the garden of the local Rotary Club.

What I find offensive is not how the restaurant acted in the face of this criticism — if the woman complained to them and they took it down, that’s great. But when the mayor of the city chimes in with some hypocritical words on diversity of thought — not even realizing the surreal aspect of what he was saying.

unclesmrgol on August 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Count Mahdrof on August 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM

The nuclear option for them: a giant water balloon, filled with pig blood, aimed at that monument in Mecca.

TMOverbeck on August 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Here’s some primary source information. The full comment of the restaurant owner as on Front Porch Forum:

Marc Dysinger • Main St
Posted to: Winooski

Hello Neighbors. Thank you for alerting us to the insensitivity of our sign. We are sad to be the source of any person’s receipt of hurtful emails, and apologize for the controversy caused. After nearly 10 years of sponsoring and planting a garden spot on the rotary, we thought we’d let the community know (as other business’ now do) that we care & participate in the gardening efforts made in the rotary. The sign was born out of the irony that our garden had been run over & replanted twice this season. It was meant to be fun & give folks a giggle during their commute. Unfortunately, the sign lost it’s relevance & connection to the garden with installation of the new (much needed!) orange safety barriers & the height of it’s re-installation on the newly replaced lamp post. With those changes, we sense the sign looked like a simple “ad” rather than the intended token showing that Sneakers cares about Winooski & the gardens. Again, we regret any harm or damage caused & the sign has been removed. Our goal is to bring joy to Winooski as a community gathering place – never a source of stress or drama. We always appreciate any advice or input to help us achieve that goal. Thank you neighbors!

unclesmrgol on August 27, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Here’s a second comment from the woman who commented about the bacon being hurtful:

Sneakers Sign – a Response by the Poster
Bess Perry • Shepard St
Posted to: Winooski

To those who felt it appropriate to personally email me hurtful messages condemning my beliefs/my person and promoting how much they love meat and bacon, thank you for once again showing me how difficult it is for a minority, non-judgmental viewpoint to be expressed without others immediately dismissing it as insincere, invalid, and incomprehensible. I knew these types of responses would come and am not surprised, given how ubiquitous bacon is in the dominant American culture. I also suspected that people would get so riled up by that part of my post that they would focus on that solely, rather than the totality of my post, and thus respond emotionally instead of rationally. To you, I sincerely wish you the best and hope that you’re able to someday really think through a response before automatically turning on your rude switch.

To the posters who have responded on the forum, thank you for sharing your responses publicly. I appreciate the time you took to craft a transparent and honest response. I agree that I do not have a right to not be offended. Everyone finds something(s) offensive; everyone has to tolerate that people will use their personal property and voice to express what they find important. Totally agreed and would not suggest otherwise.

However, where I think this case differs is that this is a sign that is on public property and installed by city personnel, not on personal property and/or by private individuals (e.g., lawn signs, business properties, private citizens attaching flyers to telephone poles). That implies a different set of considerations for appropriateness and review. Also, I never tried to place my request into a hierarchy of what Winooski needs to be a better city. Of course there are other issues that are higher priority, but does that mean that lesser issues should not be expressed by engaged citizens? Don’t we all want Winooski to be more welcoming and impartial in any way it can be? Furthermore, I did not imply that “offense” should be given more weight than “safety,” merely that I found the signage unnecessary from both a personal and communal standpoint. Given that this is not an official road sign, promotes a private business on city property, is not necessary from a community-building viewpoint, is not necessary (and potentially a hindrance to) safety in the city’s main busy crosswalk, and would take minimal time to remove, I still believe that this sign should be removed.

I will ignore the comments of what identities I am “able” to represent or where my family chooses to eat, as those questions detract from the nature of my request and are unnecessary considerations/intrusions.

Thank you for your time and input; I appreciate this forum and hope that we’re able to continuously improve our city through dialogue here.

unclesmrgol on August 27, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Here’s the original comment by “Bess Perry”:

Please Remove “Sneakers” Sign from Circle Crosswalk
Bess Perry • Shepard St
Posted to: Winooski

There is a sign on the lamp post at the crosswalk downtown that says “Yield for Sneakers Bacon.” I strongly believe and request that this sign be removed. I will express my concerns to the city about this, but I wanted to post here as well for more people in our community to know. It should be removed because of two main reasons:

First, it’s insensitive and offensive to those who do not consume pork. As a vegan and a member of a Muslim household, this sign personally offends me twice a day as I go to-and-from the bus stop. Given the large number of Muslim families in Winooski, as well as many others who do not eat pork for a variety of reasons, it seems unnecessary for this insensitive business sign to be at the city’s main crosswalk. Moreover, it creates barriers in making our community inclusive to the diverse people who live here, as well as likens pedestrians to dead pigs (is that what the cars are supposed to be stopping for?!).

Second, it clutters an already dangerous crosswalk. This signage for a business’ food distracts from the purpose of that area: for pedestrians to safely cross and for drivers to safely enter the circle. What is the additive safety factor of this sign being there? I fail to see what benefit it affords people in that intersection and why the city put it up. The only appropriate signage would be standardized official road signs pertaining to the crosswalk and circle.

Although I love Sneakers and the delicious food they serve, I strongly believe this sign is unnecessary, offensive, insensitive, and should therefore be taken down.

unclesmrgol on August 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM

As a vegan and a member of a Muslim household…

Perpetually aggrieved x2.

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Here’s a resident commenting on the city manager’s comment on the sign. No city officials commented in this forum:

Good Quote from the City Manager
Jodi Harrington • West St
Posted to: Winooski

Good day- I think our City Manager’s comment in today’s Burlington Free Press deserves to be repeated. We are truly lucky to have such intelligent leadership in this city to help us be models of what a civilized diverse town looks like in America. Thank you, Deac!

“Winooski is a diverse community, and we like it that way,” Decarreau said.

My take: The country is reacting to something that wasn’t blown out of proportion. “Bess Perry’s” number one complaint was the word “bacon” appearing in the sign and the fact that the sign was on city property, and that said word personally offended her. And part of the country that was putatively blowing this out of proportion was the vast majority of neighborhood commenters on the Front Page Forum itself. Their comments were respectful and certainly indicated that they thought that “Bess Perry” had diversity issues of her own.

unclesmrgol on August 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Grrr. Regrets that the headline doesn’t refer to this.

22044 on August 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM

And if you’re ANYWHERE NEAR Roanoke, Virginia you gotta visit this:

Galtian on August 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Real Nazis are the wurst worst.

Alien on August 26, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I meant in a contemporary sense. PC Nazis are the ones that can exist and thrive below the radar, masquerading as “concerned citizens” who only care about equality and not offending anyone.

Aizen on August 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM

“This war is lost”

Gunlock Bill on August 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Here’s an average local comment on the sign:

Sneakers Sign
Kiki Leech • Park St
Posted to: Winooski

Seriously remove a sign because you don’t eat meat??? I respect your choice but please explain why your decisions supersede mine.
A) for future reference not ALL bacon comes from pork (ie: turkey)
B) while you are a vegan not all Muslims are so to infer that all Muslims would be offended by a sign with the word bacon on it also presumes you have been given a position to speak on the their behalf.
C) my feeling is that if the word bacon is that offensive that the City of Winooski ban it’s use (both in spoken or visual forms).

Sounds silly but if the sight of a word that describes a food item is so offensive then we become a population of zombies. We will not be able to speak, nor write for fear that someone will be upset.

I reiterate I appreciate your position and had you focused on the Sneakers sign that appears to have a safety impact I would have supported your request for removal. Sadly you turn the discussion into a them and us. To imply that there actually was insensitivity and mean spirited thinking in the posting of the sign feels like you are trying to bully people into agreeing with you.

If a “real” safety issue then it should be removed otherwise if that offensive I would look elsewhere when walking.

unclesmrgol on August 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

The only use for “a vegan and a member of a Muslim household” is as feed for pigs.

Wallythedog on August 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM

This is where I draw the line, it is time to form a pro-bacon militia and take our bacon back!

Sven on August 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Ham and bacon. It’s what’s for breakfast.

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Maple Bacon Ice Cream

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Chocolate covered bacon

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Some things are endemic to American culture. Yes, America has her own unique culture. One is the right to free speech.

This woman is certainly entitled to her opinion. But one person is not entitled to drive what a community does, says or in this case eats.

Sorry if it is “insensitive” for those if us who eat pork, to say so or even advertise that fact. But you’ve voluntarily entered a community where eating bacon is a practice of the majority.

The issue is, to people like you “coexist” means acquiesce to your demands. That fortunately for us, the majority of Americans, is superseded by a right to live as we please within the boundaries of our Constitution.

That includes eating bacon.

Marcus Traianus on August 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Welcome to Winooskistan.

Ward Cleaver on August 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Who among us isn’t offended by the current use of “progessive” (except of course by Flo when whe promotes auto insurance)?

Ira on August 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM

It’s called Progressive because it was started by a leftie.

Ward Cleaver on August 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM

It’s come to this: The War on Bacon is real
posted at 9:21 pm on August 26, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Congratulations, MKH…no egg on your face with this one!

I’m toast for doing this, aren’t I.

Newtie and the Beauty on August 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM

That’s a gritty article.

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM

With all due respect to the author, I believe Ms.Ham needs to recuse herself as her last name is evidence of bias in this matter.

PleaseFlyOver on August 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

PleaseFlyOver on August 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

She’s like a dog after a bone with this topic.

/uga humor, don’t hate me

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Not just no, h@ll no. Bacon is the most important food group. Can I get a witness Ms Ham ?

Brock Robamney on August 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Congratulations, MKH! This article is part of “Rush’s Stack of Stuff” at rushlimbaugh.com :-D

Newtie and the Beauty on August 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

when did liberals get the POWER OF CENSORSHIP just by claiming they are OFFENDED.

that is just plain wrong and if a word on a sign offends someone tough noogies.

sniffles1999 on August 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM

i am offended by the word allah

therefore it must be banneed from print or speech.

ok?

sniffles1999 on August 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Hmmm, perhaps Kevin Soybean or Kevin Algae. The muslims, PETA and vegans should appreciate the change. :)

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Is there anything offensive to the majority ethnic group that is flooding our southern border?

That I would put on a sign.

davidk on August 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

The islamic center near my house offends me.
The town should have it taken down.

freedomfirst on August 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

It should be banned.

davidk on August 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM

“Yield for Sneakers Bacon pork bellies

Is that better?
Tough. The sign should read whatever the owner wants it to read.
Bacon it is!

freedomfirst on August 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

It offends me.

Oldnuke on August 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

The word ‘Winooski’ offends me. I prefer Loserooski. Make the change now or I’ll sic Moochelle on you and anything over .004 calories will be outlawed.

vnvet on August 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If I lived there I’d be really tempted to set up my griddle at that location and cook bacon all day long.

sumpnz on August 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM

MKH, I wouldn’t go there if I were you unless you change your surname.

freedomfirst on August 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

It should be banned.

davidk on August 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Any substitute isn’t really bacon and doesn’t taste like it no matter how hard you try to convince your taste buds. If you must have bacon, eat the real thing.

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Here’s how a town just north of me handled a similar complaint…

Pig races during evening prayers!!!

PS The Katy mosque was funded by the Muslim Brotherhood.

WhirledPeas on August 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Additional words soon to be removed from public discourse in Winooski:

Jew, Israel, Christian, Christ, Jesus, Ham, Catfish, Budda, Shakti, Vishnu, Shiva, Yahweh, Dog, et al.

s1im on August 27, 2014 at 2:15 PM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

It should be banned.

davidk on August 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM

The worst failing of all the bacon substitutes is you don’t get that essential byproduct that is such an important ingredient for lots of southern cooking recipes – bacon grease!

s1im on August 27, 2014 at 2:19 PM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

It should be banned.

davidk on August 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM

That’s a bit of heavy-handed, bloated, D.C. government legislation I could actually get behind.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

The word “Winooski” offends me and it’s also offensive to any number of other people. If you are at all sensitive to the feelings of others please remove the name of your town from the surface of this planet.

Fred 2 on August 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I think I will have a wrap made to turn my car into a package of Oscar Meyer bacon and dare one of them to be insulted. The Constitution says nothing about a right not to be offended, in fact I think I have the right to offend them as much as I want.

namvet6869 on August 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I don’t eat pork because I’m a Jew. If I go into a restaurant and see pork dishes on the menu…I.Don’t.Order.Them. I order something else.
See how easy that is.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 26, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I don’t eat pork because I’m a vegetarian. I wish everybody was. But I just order something else and I don’t go lecturing people at their tables.

bmmg39 on August 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM

“Given the large number of Muslim families in Winooski…”

What?

Colony14 on August 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM

What about turkey bacon?

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

THAT is offensive – but not nearly as offensive as tofu bacon.

dentarthurdent on August 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I hate effin Flo.

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM

She can be a little annoying at times, true, but you gotta admit: she’s smokin’ hot…

affenhauer on August 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM