Burger King: Enemy of the people

posted at 10:41 am on August 25, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Comrades, there are wreckers in our midst. The industrialist reactionaries at Burger King have declared their intention to abandon the struggle and join the ranks of the enemy in rightist Canada.

That’s right. The traitorous corporation Burger King plans to take advantage of the fact that America’s English-speaking neighbor to the north maintains the second-lowest corporate tax rate of any G-7 nation. How dare they?

“The iconic American fast-food brand is in talks to buy coffee-and-donuts chain Tim Hortons and move its headquarters to Canada,” Forbes reported. If concluded, this deal would create the world’s third-largest restaurant company and allow Burger King to take advantage of a tax inversion deal and relocate their headquarters to Canada.

Earlier this summer, the Obama administration threatened to use the power of executive action to limit the ability of American companies to avoid paying America’s corporate tax rate by, as the president said, “renouncing their citizenship.” According to Business Insider’s Joe Weisenthal, Burger King’s move is a direct challenge to the White House.

“So much for the theory that Treasury could chill future inversion deals by hinting of possible action,” Potomac Research’s Greg Valliere told Weisenthal.

“[T]he news gives Democrats another talking point,” the Business Insider analyst wrote. “The potential departure of an iconic American company because of ‘corporate greed’ will be trotted out on the campaign trail.”

Oh, we are well past denouncing “corporate greed.” The time has come for populist rage to hit the streets!

“They’ll keep their money and we all will have to pay their taxes,” an outraged Joe Scarborough said on Monday. “So, you know what I’m going to do so I can afford to pay Burger King’s taxes? I’m just not going to ever go to Burger King again.”

“I think a lot of American should not go to Burger King again if they’re going to cheat,” he added. “It’s wrong for them to do this. They are stealing money from us.”

“Boycott B.K.,” Scarborough’s sidekick, Mika Brzezinski, concurred. “The reason they’re doing this is because you can.”

Brzezinski offered the most constructive suggestion of the group, though she filed to denounce the vrag naroda Burger King with what the White House would likely deem an appropriate level of idealist zeal. She said that Congress should be encouraged to strike a deal which lowers America’s corporate tax rate (at 35%, the highest rate in the industrialized world) and creates incentives for American corporations to repatriate.

Her proposal did not set MSNBC panel on fire. Impotent expressions of populism are all the rage, you see. It is entirely beside the point to propose policy solutions aimed at resolving situations which inspire well-timed outbursts of righteous angst among Democrats. The idea is to get Democratic voters all worked up to head to the polls in November, so those novel and untested prescriptions like creating economic incentives for companies to stay in the U.S. will have to wait.

Meanwhile, get ready to engage in some virtuous self-deprivation while we all boycott our way to prosperity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sign me up for a Double Whopper combo once a week, forever.

Because **** you, IRS and well done, Burger King.

orangemtl on August 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM

They like firing walls also.

RickB on August 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

True, that.

GWB on August 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM

“They are stealing money from us.”

You know damn well those two “cheat” on their taxes and “steal” from us taxpayers. Ask any accountant worth his salt and he could probably rattle off a dozen or so things Scarborough and Brezezinki, commies both, do that “steals money from us”.

Dusty on August 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I almost feel like buying a Whopper in solidarity. But then I remember why I don’t go to Burger King anymore.

Their food really, really sucks.

Rusty Nail on August 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Burger King would still be required to pay US taxes on profits earned within the US. A tax inversion merely allows them to pay the Canadian tax rate on profits generated outside the country.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Don’t bother the outrageously outraged progressives with details.

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I love the Whopper.

However, I do not like that BK is pushing a gay political agenda on me when all I want is a great tasteing burger.

Last thing I want is a discussion of how and where people should be allowed to use/put their genitalia while I am eating.

mechkiller_k on August 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I thought we were supposed to be upset that corporations were considered people.

If corporations aren’t people…how can something that is not a human be expected to exhibit an emotion like patriotism?

Or are they just not-human when they do something you don’t like?

ChrisL on August 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Everyone’s outrage here over the Scarborough line, “It’s wrong for them to do this. They are stealing money from us.”, is justified and valid. I’m concerned that the commentary, which is appropriate, just slightly misses the bedrock reason why it is outrageous, so that those who don’t understand liberty as we do might miss the message.

The concept that any part of one person’s (or business’s) revenues should be considered “everybody’s” money via tax revenues and redistribution, is completely un-Constitutional and anathema to the Founding principles of the United States. The first responsibility of any business is to turn a profit (the corollary responsibility of those who engage with them is to only permit them a profit if their product/service is viable and proper for society), and any measures they take to retain the highest profit possible are reasonable, where not malicious.

For the government to threaten a business in any way because they make a self-interested decision, is illegal and tyrannical. It is not merely politics, it is despotism, the exact sort from which the Founders Declared the necessity to separate. The government is not designed to control the money of the citizenry, and any supposition that this is a normal mode of operation is prima facia flawed.

The Gadsden flags are going to be getting might popular now. . .

Freelancer on August 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Wendy’s owned Tim Horton’s for a while back in the 90′s.

Bertram Cabot Jr. on August 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I’d renounce my citizenship in a heartbeat. Thanks to 60 million low information morons and a cabal of media serving as a palace guard, I am truly embarrassed to be an American.

pdigaudio on August 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Burger King on Monday , Chik-fil-a on Wednesday, Masterpiece Cakes on Friday — there goes my diet!

AesopFan on August 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Sign me up for a Double Whopper combo once a week, forever.

Because **** you, IRS and well done, Burger King.

orangemtl on August 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Your arteries will thank you. /

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I thought Burger King was owned by a British conglomerate. If so, then I don’t know why they would have any patriotic concern.

Buddahpundit on August 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Buddhapundit,

John the Libertarian on August 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM

How do you say “Burger King” in French?

unclesmrgol on August 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

“They are stealing money from us.”

Really Joe? Burger King is taking money out of your wallet? Because it looks, to me, that BK is trying to keep as much of their money as they can in their own wallet. The exact same thing you do when you exploit the tax laws as best as one can.

raz0r on August 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Not to Joe: Following the rules / the law is not CHEATING you moron.

deadrody on August 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

And I’m definitely going to have to get to BK more often.

deadrody on August 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM

They sell those traitorous French Fries.

faraway on August 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM

How do you say “Burger King” in French?

unclesmrgol on August 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

“Burger King”

Midas on August 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Stealing from us, huh? That is like arguing that the guy who fights off the mugger is stealing from tax payers because now the mugger will have to continue to get public assistance because he can’t steal enough to pay his bills.

I absolutely support Burger King in their proposed action.

deepdiver on August 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Their food really, really sucks.

Rusty Nail on August 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Amen. I can’t remember the last time that I ate at a Burger King.

As for the “stealing from us” line. I hate that vapid, spurious logic. If I don’t hand my money over to the government for redistribution, I am not stealing from anybody because the money is inherently mine, not the government’s and not anybody else’s.

It’s the logic akin to, if we stop giving welfare recipients money, the left claims that we are “taking money from them”. No, we are not taking anything from them, we are simply no longer giving them anything. It was ours to give, not theirs for us to take.

You just keep showing what a RINO you are, Scarborough.

Theophile on August 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM

AesopFan on August 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM

You and me both.

jawkneemusic on August 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM

That is what happens when you try sticking it to people with the tax code. The money leaves. Thank you Dems. Keep up the great work and we will be the next great 3rd world country.

Southernblogger on August 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Elsewhere in the British Commonwealth, White House demands (and gets) an apology from the British Crown… for a Twitter gag today.

…when the British embassy in Washington tweeted a perfectly innocuous photograph of a commemorative cake – a mini White House surrounded by sparklers – accompanied by the line: “Commemorating the 200th anniversary of burning the White House. Only sparklers this time”, the result was immediate. Once again Brits were accused of lacking taste and tact, almost as if we’d broken into the place once again.

Terp Mole on August 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM

They’re probably making this move to make the money back they lost pandering to the homosexual Mafia with their gay Whopper.

catmman on August 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Your arteries will thank you. /

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Fortunately, everyone will have Obamacare….

Blaise on August 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Interesting how we were always told we needed to structure the culture, politics, and governance around certain themes to keep businesses here.

Essentially: choose capitalism and jobs, or choose safety net and unemployment/shortages.

Now we see companies going overseas to the very places with safety nets and national health care we were told never to emulate. Its hilarious. Choose A or B, and we got neither in the end.

antisense on August 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Think about the Scarborough argument, that by moving headquarters outside the US, any company can do business in the US and pay no taxes. Jeez, this is the level of understanding of business that we have in the Congress/Overall Government.

JoeHop on August 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Excellent point. I really hope conservative media picks up on this and shows how uneducated people like Scarborough are on this issue.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

How do you say “Burger King” in French?

unclesmrgol on August 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

“Burger King”

Midas on August 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Le Burger Roi, actually. ;)

GWB on August 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Good for Burger King, if they move I will be buying some of their stock as they seem to believe in their corporate obligation. You do what is best for your investors not what makes you a better door mat for the White House. McDonalds doesn’t under stand it is bad business to get close to the White House and they will throw you and your investors under the bus. I say go Putin get your country rid of McDonalds. All your people will be better off with out them.

pwb on August 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM

antisense on August 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

No, stupid. US operations will still be taxed as US operations. Canadian operations will still be taxed as Canadian operations. What won’t happen is that profits from Canadian operations will not be taxed at US rates.

Learn something before you comment next time.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

you don’t pay taxes on profits, you pay taxes on revenue. profits are what is left after EVERY expense is paid. and they wont pay Canada any tax on revenue generated outside of Canada I believe. that’s the biggest reason companies are doing this. if they bring in money made and taxed in other countries they then do have to pay US taxes on that money, and I think we are the ONLY country to punish business in this manner.

chasdal on August 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Burger King is not cheating anyone out of money, and the freedom to move is a right of every Western country. Taxes are the highest in the free world under Obama and Burger King is majority owned by a Brasilian company so where they locate is the shareholders business. If you really want to help American companies demand that the Obama administration lower the super high corporate taxes they demand of every American.

leader4hru on August 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM

you don’t pay taxes on profits, you pay taxes on revenue

Sorry, wrong answer. While some states collect a “fee” based on revenue, only profits are taxed under the US code, while losses may be carried back or forward to generate a tax refund.

If BK shows a profit, based on all operations, it will pay Canadian taxes on those profits.

Lord Whorfin on August 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM

you don’t pay taxes on profits, you pay taxes on revenue.

chasdal on August 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Are you confusing income taxes with sales taxes? The US doesn’t have a sales tax, and income taxes (which is the issue here) are paid on profits – not revenues.

they wont pay Canada any tax on revenue generated outside of Canada I believe.

My point was that they would be subjected to Canadian tax law regarding this issue – not US tax law. The biggest issue is making people realize that Burger King would still be forced to pay income tax on income (pre-tax earnings) generated by US operations.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Their food really, really sucks.

Rusty Nail on August 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

This is just blasphemy. Burger King has best burgers and fries anyway in the world…and trust me, I’ve done the research. If I could eat there every single day, I would.

Chudi on August 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Their food really, really sucks.

Rusty Nail on August 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

My thoughts, exactly. Well done, Rusty.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Isn’t it interesting how all these liberals suddenly become flag-waving nationalists whenever they see a possible loss of tax revenues?

It is worth pondering whether there is anything they like about the US aside from: 1) Tax revenues, and 2) The free-speech rights they have to enumerate all of the things they hate about the USA.

s1im on August 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

So, does Joe believe all Canadian-based companies should pay the U.S. corporate tax rate, or just Burger King?

xblade on August 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Spoken like a true liberal.

tommer74 on August 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I’d be upset about this if…..wait…..nope, no reason to be upset at all. I don’t care if every business in the country leaves, takes their money and jobs with them.

Eventually it would lead to a landslide of realization that liberal progressive CRAP does not now, never did, and never will work. Perhaps we can start edging our way back to sanity then. Either that or all the liberal drooling slob fascist progressive r-tards will die in the revolution.

Either or…..

Diluculo on August 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Spoken like a true liberal.

tommer74 on August 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

They take pride in their ability to visually assess the condition of their prostate at any given time.

Diluculo on August 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM

How dare Burger King duck their fair share of payments for Ferguson riots and Obama country club fees?

MaiDee on August 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Those lefties have no idea what they are talking about. The tax rate in Canada of federal combined with Ontario’s tax is over 26% – not 15%. And Bk is not paying 35% now, they are paying an effective tax rate of 27.5S% due to their overseas operations. This move will only net them a 1 – 1.5% reduction.

HugoDrax on August 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Diluculo on August 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM

LOL – that was good.
“cranial-rectal inversion syndrome”.

Diplomacy – the art of telling someone to go to he11 in such a way that they look forward to the journey.

dentarthurdent on August 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I believe that is called FREEDOM.
Structure the tax rates differently and you’ll find they’ll come back.

I have not had a whopper in a while . . . . might just get one. Join me Mika? I’ll even pay.

Bubba Redneck on August 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM

This move will only net them a 1 – 1.5% reduction.

HugoDrax on August 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Only?

GWB on August 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Learn something before you comment next time.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 1:33 PMist hell” Canada.

I forget more on a daily basis than you ever “done learnt” in your one-room schoolhouse, Grandpa.

The move by BK is simply to avoid paying taxes, whether that reduces them entirely or removes a portion. Doesn’t matter.

antisense on August 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I’m switching from McDonalds to Burger King.

mixplix on August 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Once again, life imitates South Park.

BLAME CANADA!

connertown on August 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

As a Canadian, I certainly welcome any business that wants to relocate their hq here, although I worry about what BK might do to the chain I frequent the most, Tim Hortons.

Tims is a great place, it was started by a retired hockey player, it’s more successful than McDonald’s in Canada, it was parodied in the movie Waynes World, and the Ice Cap is my greatest addiction. If you are in Canada and you are more than a few meters away from one, chances are that you’ve wandered back into the states.

Johnny 100 Pesos on August 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM

“They are stealing money from us.”

Spoken like a true kleptocrat, Joe!!!

landlines on August 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM

…Mika Brzezinski, concurred. “The reason they’re doing this is because you can.”
LOL Wut?

ExpressoBold on August 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

“Vrag naroda” means enemy of the people, according to my Rothman-to-English dictionary.

cbenoistd on August 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I declare that statement Wonton Abuse! Opalogize!

ExpressoBold on August 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Wait a sec…i thought canada was a socialist paradise?

What with their healthcare and whatnot?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM

So companies have citizenship that can be renounced.
That means corporations are citizens.
Only people can be citizens.
That means corporations must be people, right?

Mr. President?

JCoulter on August 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Doesn’t matter.

antisense on August 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Except for the fact that it does matter. Your claims made it obvious that you’re uneducated about the issue. Burger King will still pay taxes on US operations. You’re just angry that you don’t get to tax them on offshore operations anymore.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Wait a sec…i thought canada was a socialist paradise?

What with their healthcare and whatnot?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM

You’re just as stupid as anti-sense. Read my response to him. BK will pay market value for the business (which is already discounted for the cost of doing business in the socialist country). Then, BK will simply be subjected to Canadian tax law for offshore profits. The inability of liberals to understand this issue is amazing.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Burger King: Enemy of the people my bowels.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Now Burger King is trying to duck US taxes by merging with Canadian company? When will Congress put a stop to this?

Business acumen of a CFL. How about just before Canadian companies start buying their American counterparts.

WryTrvllr on August 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Amazing that canada can be both a capitalist haven and a socialist paradise!

How is this possible, conservatives?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

How is this possible, conservatives?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Pretty much the same way Bush II was told by the CIA that Iran had given up their nuclear ambitions, or the way Lois Lerner had a job, say, 10 years ago.

Next question.

WryTrvllr on August 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM

But not to fear, everdiso, with the College Board revising US history, we can be assured that none other than William Cody was on the board of Burger King at the countries founding, lobbying for the buffalo to be poisoned into extinction, starving all those enslaved Chinese.

Reparations are in order.

WryTrvllr on August 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Amazing that canada can be both a capitalist haven and a socialist paradise!

How is this possible, conservatives?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Because socialism is supported by the fruits of capitalism.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 25, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Amazing that canada can be both a capitalist haven and a socialist paradise!

How is this possible, conservatives?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

You mean a socialist paradise *and* in ways, more capitalist than the US? This is possible when the US loses its mind and elects shitwits and economic morons that think remotely like you do.

Midas on August 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Sorry, but I don’t go for Homosexual Whoppers.

I’ll pass on the Rainbow burgers Burger King, but you go ahead and focus on that HUGE Whopper of a market by sexualizing fast food.

Robert Jensen on August 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

307wolverine

Syzygy

Thanks. :)

Ironically enough, there was one close to where I used to work that was in a more sketchy area of Chicago, and it was decent. The crazy thing is that I used to live quite close to a small market BK quite a ways out there, and got so fed up with that that we stopped going. I think it was independent, so they took coupons forever & gave all the kids dining inside mini ice cream cones but oh my goodness were they slow! Furthermore, they didn’t follow the kids meals toys, but they had old stickers still posted from some time when they did, so the kids would see those and think they were getting Care Bears or something, and were disappointed that that was never in the boxes. Oh my goodness, were they slow, though! Seriously, to get an order in less than 10 minutes was unusual. Went there for breakfast with the family one Saturday, and almost every item was absolutely disgusting (undercooked, etc., plus they got orders mixed up) , and we said we were done with it, and from that point on, we’ve tried to avoid them.

It’s sad though, because in Germany, the Burger Kings are fantastic, and they even have (or had) one of my favorite vegetarian fast-food things, the Country Burger. Why they couldn’t bring that over to the US for their vegetarian selection as opposed to the Morningstar veggie burger is beyond me.

Katja on August 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Johnny 100 Pesos -

As I like to joke – in Canada, wherever two or three are gathered, there’s going to be a Tim Horton’s nearby. :)

A few months ago, my husband ended up driving up to Canada without me, and I still give him grief (jokingly) that he didn’t even bring me a Tim Horton’s doughnut back with him!

Katja on August 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I think Burger King should go to Canada, it makes sense. Progressive liberals are chasing business away with their taxes and regulations. Every dime if revenue that is lost is the fault of Democrats, liberals and Harry Reid. Fact. Money flows where it is welcome

Whitey Ford on August 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM

you don’t pay taxes on profits, you pay taxes on revenue.
chasdal on August 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Looks like theres a GAAP in that thar thinking.

Was going to wax on about the difference in book income tax and actual tax differences and then slide into a discussion about the correct way to disclose/compute deferred income taxes, but nay…why humour meself.

Lets see…Assets minus Liabilities minus Equity (Stockholders Thingies and Retained Earnings) equals…ZERO. Now I feel better. Chuckle.

HonestLib on August 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Amazing that canada can be both a capitalist haven and a socialist paradise!

How is this possible, conservatives?

everdiso on August 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I addressed this already and already made you look stupid.

corkie on August 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

If you’re not hungry enough for a double Whopper, order a double cheeseburger and have it made like a Whopper. Half the price of a Double Whopper Junior.

You’re welcome.

SansJeux on August 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Joe has been hanging around those loonies at MSNBC too long.

Karmashock on August 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM

“They are stealing money from us.”

Idiocy.

Anyone with business understanding at the 101 level knows no business ever pays taxes.

Taxes are included in the price of the goods/services.

WE pay those taxes, not the business.

Rebar on August 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Congrats to BK!

CW on August 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Burger King’s next move should be to convert all locations to an A&W franchise. This would please me immensely. ;)

c4 on August 25, 2014 at 9:40 PM

“Vrag naroda”

Hey Noah….

BierManVA on August 25, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Starve

Bmore on August 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I’m not sure this is some sort of boon to Dems. So Democrats are going to demagogue against Burger King? Seems the ready made GOP response is that it’s ridiculous that all-American icons like BK have to flee our oppressive taxes. Maybe our economy would not be mired in the sh_tter had Obama spent his two terms making America a more attractive place to do business instead of blowing billions on imaginary shovel ready and green jobs, passing job-killing regulations and haranguing hard work and accomplishment. Burger King didn’t build America’s inhospitable business climate, somebody else – Democrats – made that happen.

hamiltmc on August 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Sounds like Burger King has finally decided that arranging matters to minimize their taxes is worth it. There are costs, and lots of them, associated with what they are planning on doing, so they probably thought long and hard about whether to do it. On net then, they figure it will benefit the company and the stockholders.

Russ808 on August 25, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Sorry, but I don’t go for Homosexual Whoppers.

Robert Jensen on August 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I feel no urgent need to support a concern that I own no stock in and derive no financial benefit from…beyond the general aspect of supporting free market capitalism.

Same goes for Hobby Lobby, Chick-Fil-A and others. They’re big boys and girls and have their lawyers and ad agencies to defend and to cheerlead for them.

Funny how these companies seek public support from the heavy hand of government when the Socialists in power are coming down on them.

Where were they over the last several decades as America has slowly but surely slid into the arms of Socialism? They couldn’t be bothered about that…their focus was solely to make a buck and the Republic be damned.

So, Fluke ‘em all as far as I’m concerned.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM

BK is welcome to move their headquarters up here. May I suggest Alberta instead of Ontario? Probably a little more business friendly than Ontario. In Fort McMurray which is 5 hours north of Edmonton, the median income is around $90,000/year. Seriously.

Timmies is an okay place for a quick lunch or a cheap hot drink. It’s not fancy, but it does the trick. My favourite things are their chicken wraps and their chili. The donuts are pretty decent too.

Stephen Harper is probably the sole reason all this has happened from the Canadian perspective. He’s not a perfect leader, but he does like him some business.

Anyway, Timmies is pretty much a Canadian institution and as long as BK doesn’t mess with the clearly winning formula, they are welcome to it.

mjk on August 26, 2014 at 12:31 AM

I don’t blame them. Our government is killing us by the death of a thousand taxes, ever increasing.

sadatoni on August 26, 2014 at 9:34 AM

What??? A boycott??? What about the rainbow wrappers and all that progressive lovin’?? Dont they count for something? /s

PatHenry on August 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I eagerly await the government-ordered takeover of Burger King restaurants across the nation, so they can be converted into the federally-run “People’s Burger” outlets, headquartered in Bethesda, where everything is made of tofu and served in gutten-free wraps, and are taxpayer-supported through the Food and Drug Administration.

jon1979 on August 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Yes. It is coming.

I haven’t gone to BK for a long time. Their food quality went down and those freakish commercials they kept putting out gave me the jitters. But, I might go buy something from them if they do this just to support their effort to increase their profit margin. That’s the American way!

TerryW on August 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM

They ought to create a new burger and name it the IRS special–made of cooked goose, of course. Put a lost hard drive in each one.

Don L on August 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM

All they had to do to get us peeved is return that bust of Churchill to Obama….

Don L on August 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM

When the Morning Joe crew found out today that their favorite liberal, multi billionaire Warren Buffet, was making this merger possible you could hear the tears drop.
Missing from this panel was Joe, who has never had a bad word to say about Buffet. Making a fool of himself yesterday he utilized a bathroom break disappearance during the segment, to keep himself in the good graces of Warren.

coca on August 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Laws have consequences… If Congress chooses to make business’ unable to compete or be profitable then Congress needs to expect companies to retreat to other places.

Money always goes to where it is treated best… End of story! That’s why Texas is getting many companies to move into their state. The taxes and regulations allow a business to keep more of their profits – which they use to grow and create more jobs. That’s why Texas has created half of all new jobs in America over the last 5 years.

I am working as a consultant for a group of imvestor’s that want to open a 100,000 sqft reclining furniture manufacturing company. There prefered location would be in either Los Angeles, Ca or Phoenix Arizona. Both have about an $8 minimum wage law but Arizona’s is tied to the cost of living and can go up yearly. The real cost of an $8 dollar an hour employee to his employer is about $15 per hour or $22.50 to $30 for overtime pay. The cost of leasing a building that size in either location is about the same. So at the end if the day when you factor in the labor and manufacturing cost to make a dueling reclinging sofa in LA or PHX you have to figure it will cost you… Very close to $150 per piece to manufacture a duel reclining sofa… The you have to add the cost of materials, general overhead, sales and marketing cost.

However… You can start a maquiladora in Tijuana, Mexico and produce the exact same piece of furniture for $50 in labor and manufacturing overhead. Again the cost of leasing that size of building is about the same as it would be in LA or PHX. Nafta make it all legal and encouraged. That why Tijuana has become the manufacturing capital of flat screen TV’s… Not China. They have good skilled worker and they work 48 hours per week before you are required to pay them overtime.

You tell me… These people are going to invest $4,000,000 of pretaxed money. What would you advise them to do?

wartface on August 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Why is it that the more “liberal” and socialist the country, the more barriers have to be erected to prevent people from leaving?

Couple more years and we’ll have solved the immigration issue: all the illegals will have fled back south, and we will have a completely militarized border, guns aimed in. We’ll call it the “Canadian Wall” and the coast guard will be under orders to shoot anyone seen fleeing, just like Cuba does.

When Ike was president, we had people looking to America as a beacon of Freedom. By the time Obama is done, the world will be looking at Putin as a great champion of freedom.

Vanceone on August 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM

———-

Im canadian and I already do… (look at Putin as maybe not a champion of freedom, but a better bet than Chicago Jesus…)

Come to Canada, flee the USSA !
Jean

Gauthijm on August 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM

There is no greed like the greed of a liberal politician buying votes with your money!

RJL on August 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Not to burst everyone’s bubble, but…

Burger King’s (BKW) Chief Executive on Tuesday said the decision to merge with Canadian firm Tim Hortons (THI) was not an effort to avoid U.S. corporate taxes by moving the fast-food giant’s headquarters north of the U.S. border.

In a posting on Facebook in response to growing criticism of the deal, CEO Daniel Schwartz said: “We hear you. We’re not moving, we’re just growing and finding ways to serve you better.”

Schwartz said the two companies will continue to operate as independent brands, just under common ownership, and that Burger King’s headquarters will remain in Miami.

Stoic Patriot on August 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM