About those “jobs Americans won’t do”

posted at 5:01 pm on August 24, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

One of the worst examples of Republicans mimicking Democrat talking points, particularly when it comes to immigration policy, is when some GOP officials employ the phrase doing the jobs that Americans won’t do. Rich Lowry echos my frustration with this particular bit of nonsense this weekend.

At the NR/Heritage event on immigration yesterday, I said the next Republican politician or consultant who says that there are “jobs that Americans won’t do” should be shot, hanged, and wrapped in a carpet and thrown in the Potomac River.

Not only is it not true that there are jobs that Americans won’t do, it is a sentiment that betrays contempt for those Americans who do the kind of jobs they aren’t supposed to be doing. So, it is the last thing anyone associated with what should be a party of work should say.

Lowry is right, and this highlights what is particularly wrong with some of the GOP messaging these days. Not everyone can get out there and crawl around under a house or swing a pick ax – particularly as we approach the end of our working years – but for many it is still a very viable, and honorable, option. I was reminded of a long time friend of mine who lost his job as a mechanical engineering technician back during the crash of 2007 – 2008. He was fully eligible to go on unemployment and stay there for a couple of years, thanks to the continually extended benefits being offered through federal programs.

But while there were no jobs in his current field available, and relocating wasn’t an option due to family considerations, he began applying for pretty much anything that was advertised. Within a couple of weeks he was offered a job with a local businessman who refurbished commercial properties. His job was to go in a pickup truck with a couple of other guys and empty out abandoned buildings – frequently with a shovel and a dust mask – and clean them up well enough for construction crews to come in and begin preparing them for new tenants. The money was probably 30% less than he was making before, and he came home filthy and physically exhausted every day. But when I talked to him over a couple of beers at our dart league he told me that, in some ways, he was happier than he’d been in a while.

The work was much lower stress mentally, he’d lost about fifteen pounds in the first couple of months and he was in better shape than he’d been in years. The job was also productive, producing immediate satisfaction. He related to a scene from the movie Bruce Almighty, where “God” tells Bruce that no matter how dirty something is, you can always clean it right up. He got to see that immediate result as the product of his labor.

When things picked back up in the local economy, he found another engineering job and went back to what he’d done before. But he reminded me recently that he had no regrets about taking that job. He’d had to tighten his belt a bit, but he took care of his family and never had trouble looking himself in the eye in the morning while shaving. That’s something for the GOP to keep in mind. If you are the Party of Work, you should go back back and watch a few episodes of Dirty Jobs, and you definitely shouldn’t shy away from the idea of people actually working.

Comments

Colonel Potter: HORSE HOCKEY!

rottenrobbie on August 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

When one can take an easy Minimum Wage job instead and live like they make $60,000 it is not surprising they don’t take THOSE jobs.

CW on August 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I too have had to take that route in the last 20 years. I have been back at my chosen profession for ten years now. Never regretted a moment when I had to pick up a shovel, mix stucco, carry it to the plasterers, set scaffoldinding then tear it down and unload at the yard. It was nearly the best shape I was in. Except for when I was in sports 19-20 yo.

jake49 on August 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Yes to jobs.

No to fascism and militarized police.

coolrepublica on August 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Yes to jobs.

coolrepublica on August 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Then no to illegal immigration.

talkingpoints on August 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM

It’s not that they won’t do these jobs, it’s just that they’re making too much on welfare to bother.

JimK on August 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM

When it pays more to stay home and not work, of course there will be folks who choose not to work. But almost every time they advertise these jobs, there are plenty of applicants. Maybe if they cut the ever extending benefits, there would even be more applying for these jobs.

Tinker on August 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM

The whole argument in a nutshell:

For example, granting that it’s not literally the case that Americans will categorically refuse to work as seasonal farm laborers, what is it that we think will happen if all the immigrant farm workers vanish? Very few Americans, after all, are willing to work as seasonal farm laborers at currently prevailing wages. So the wages for fruit picking go up. But there’s not some God-given quantity of land that needs to be dedicated to agricultural pursuits and then land owners just pay whatever it costs to cultivate the land. Most land isn’t cultivated at all. Increase the cost structure and we’ll grow less fruit domestically and import more from abroad, worsening America’s terms of trade and broadly lowering incomes across the country. Building a thriving professional basketball industry based in part on highly paid foreign labor is good for America, and building a thriving agricultural sector based in part on low-paid foreign labor is also good for America. Recall that even though the specific people doing the farm work have bad jobs doing hard labor for little pay, they themselves would certainly not benefit from being kicked out of the country. The way to help the immigrants is to make the terms of immigration more generous. Restriction will raise the incomes of some farm workers, lower the incomes of other farm workers, and lower the income of everyone else.

The maids are a similar issue. CIS tells us half the maids in America are immigrants. If they all vanished tomorrow, the primary impact is going to be fewer maids, not higher wages, as middle-class people (primarily women) shift their time budget away from leisure and higher-value work and into housecleaning. Underuse of women’s professional skills is already a problem in America (PDF), and exiling foreign domestic workers would exacerbate it while devastating the living standards of the exiled workers themselves.

So, the return argument is: Do you want to do those jobs yourself? If so, be prepared for a big pay cut and higher costs.

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Yep, Republicans using Democrat talking points. Not surprising or new.

And give them teddy bears and all the welfare bennies they can get while they are doing those jobs “Americans just won’t do.”

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Jobs that don’t pay as well as the lavish social benefits. When being on the dole is roughly equivalent to making $40 K/yr. Low skill people won’t work. Not to mention that all those EBTers make everything else more expensive for those of that do work. Lower the benefits and watch the people start to work.

1. No free phones.
2. EBT carders can only get certain kinds of food.
3. Section 8ers have to double up. In my city Section 8 will pay up to $1650/month. That doesn’t make it cheaper for producers.
4. Make EBTers do community service a few days a week. Cleaning and picking up would be good.
5. Make it just as hard to get on all the welfare programs as it is to get a doctor appointment at the VA. No more of “if you are on this program you get to be on another program.”
6. Vigorously check for illegal citizens on the dole. Remove them.
7. No more money for more kids.
8. Drug test every month. No test, no money. Bad test, No money for a year and then can resign up. Also see No. 5.
9. Have clinics and ONLY real emergencies go to the ER. California has closed tens of ERs because of over use. That too is not good for the producers.
10. Reduce the number of agencies and programs by 50%. There is too many and they are administered poorly by government union employees. Incentivize (bonuses) to reduce the number of people on a program. They do it at the VA so union employees know how to do this.

jukin3 on August 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Yes, the idea that illegals are “doing the jobs other people won’t do” is utter baloney. Look at CA now where it’s overflowing with illegals, and there’s no way that they are just doing jobs others won’t do.

What this HUGE influx of illegals causes is the wages go down somewhat for the all kinds of jobs that other Americans actually would do. All of these jobs would get done without millions upon millions of illegals turning the country upside down. Like housekeeping. Normal Americans have done that for centuries, as well as legal immigrants, and the idea that this is beneath the dignity of legal citizens is ridiculous.

Even farm working would get done. There’s just no reason to sacrifice our country for a few cents of the price of tomatoes. A lot of Americans would actually do farm working but there is now a stigma saying that it’s beneath our dignity. Ridiculous. Further, farmers would adjust to the situation if there were not a flood of illegal labor available. By paying more. By adjusting to more profitable less labor intensive crops. To using robotic and other systems that reduce labor costs. Quit throwing our country down the tubes because of the farm and Chamber of commerce lobbies. Enough is enough!

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Make sure it’s filmed and piped on TV.

Indeed

Amnesty and the open borders harm the American legal minorities, the poor, the middle class and all the taxpayers, while the politicians exploit all and stuff their pockets, from the left to the right.

Pitchfork them all, politically.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM

This is not just about maids and farm workers. Every field that can export jobs or import foreign labor is doing so. Hitech jobs? Import foreign workers from India who have lower expectations of pay and benefits or outright export the positions to other countries. Many of these same companies for example, Microsoft, will lobby local and federal gov for special treatment.

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Speaking of robotic systems that are replacing a lot of labor, including on the farm, what will happen is that this massive flood of people doing the “jobs no one else will do,” especially with the rising minimum wage, will find that robots are happy to do these jobs. And we are going to be left holding the bag on this, having welfare and Obamacare and other services to provide to these poor millions that have lost their low skilled occupations to automation.

What, are we to outlaw these robots so we can pointlessly support hafl of third world through outmoded labor? Stop the flood of illegals now before it becomes an even greater headache!

Bonus link today: http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/08/21/Romney-Helping-Ryan-Promote-Pro-Amnesty-Book

And this: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/30/Mitt-Romney-Not-Healthy-Congress-Hasn-t-Passed-Amnesty

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

In the state where I used to live those jobs were closed to anyone who didn’t speak Spanish, even if they were willing to work for illegal alien wages and put up with the harassment regularly doled out to non-Hispanics by coworkers.

Shay on August 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I’ve always pointed out that the northern tier of states, typically fairly free of illegal alien labor, still manages to have plenty of landscape companies, houses get built, hotels have maids and housekeepers, kids still get looked after by nannies…

I wonder how they do it?

Dolce Far Niente on August 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

There is not, and never has been any dishonor in manual labor. Unless, of course, you’re of the effete elite intelligentsia.

GarandFan on August 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I don’t care if my oranges are grown in CA or Guatemala.

faraway on August 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Being hungry is a great incentive to work.

CW on August 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

You’re arguing with an idiot.

CW on August 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

My first job was picking blueberries at the commercial farms in our area. My second job was cleaning hotel rooms.

And yes, I’m a white, native-born citizen whose first (and only) language is English. Who knew?

CJ on August 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM

This just chaps my hide.

During the housing boom, there were Mexicans everywhere… and I mean, EVERYWHERE. Doing framing, carpentry, brick laying, installing plumbing systems, hanging drywall, painting, concrete, you name it. Their skill level was about 3 out of 10.

American men and women build our cities, houses and towns. The influx of Mexicans here illegally caused literally thousands of on the job injuries and deaths, not to mention the spike in lawsuits for construction defects.

The Chamber of Commerce and the Republican Party are for cheap labor. Screw em both.

Key West Reader on August 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM

As to talking points, the Whigs sold out to the Demos a long time ago, so what else is new?

formwiz on August 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Per the above, jobs may be divided into two categories:
a) Jobs which can be done overseas as easily as here. Farm work and manufacturing are examples.
b) Jobs which must be done here. Maid service, gardening, and the construction trades are examples.

I live in Los Angeles, so that’s the perspective I bring. I don’t have the time to do gardening (in my case cutting the grass and pulling weeds) so I contract that out to a gardener. The guys who show up all speak Spanish. Big question why? I’m not contracting with small fry — this guy has lots of trucks with his name on them. My guess is that the pay is minimum wage. Why aren’t a bunch of high school dropouts doing this work? I don’t know. Would they if they could? I don’t know.

I had remodelling work done on my house. The construction crew were a bunch of Israeli foremen leading a bunch of Spanish speakers. Again, I assume minimum wage — these guys were licensed contractors — I checked it out with the State. so why aren’t there a bunch of English speakers doing the work? I don’t know. What I do know is that my neighbor can go down to Home Depot and rent a laborer who will work all day for less than minimum wage, and that when I drive by, I don’t see anyone other than Spanish speakers standing around waiting for work. Where are the English speakers — especially in this economy?

Maid service. I don’t use a maid, because I’m too lower class to think that cleaning is beneath me. But the lawyer next door certainly does hire a maid — and she speaks Spanish. You see those VWs labelled “Molly Maid” tooling around LA, and the inhabitants are always Hispanic looking. So where are the English speakers, so to speak?

The LA Times has not covered the construction trades here nor the maids nor the gardeners, but they have covered the farm industry, and they have interviewed farmers who say something like “Well, I’ve hired guys from the city but they rarely last more than about five or six hours the first day before wanting to give up and go home, while the rest of us are working 12 hour days to get the harvest in. When they give up, they never return. I need reliable labor…”

So, if I am to believe the farmers, they are deliberately not being picky about where they get their labor. And we know that Cesar Chavez and the Farm Workers Union hate illegal immigrants to the point that they did “Project Wtbck” to prevent illegals from reaching the US.

So, the claim that illegals drive down wages is entirely correct, if you take the UFW at its word — which I do.

So, I get to ask myself — am I willing to pay a “living wage” for my farm produce, or do I want to be able to afford it?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Illegal immigrants are taking a lot of jobs that Americans WOULD do. I work in DC, and there’s construction going on everywhere (hmmmmm….wonder why DC is so flush with cash?). Anyhow, you can’t find a construction worker that isn’t Hispanic. Statistically, there’s got to be a significant percentage of these workers who are here illegally. Meanwhile, there’s plenty of African Americans panhandling at the metro stops that probably could be working construction if it weren’t for….

…And it will only get worse as the Bamster allows illegals to flood into the country.

olesparkie on August 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

One of the worst examples of Republicans mimicking Democrat talking points, particularly when it comes to illegal immigration policy, …

FIFY, although I suspect the irony is lost on Jazz …

ShainS on August 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Once I advertised a entry level position at my furniture factory. A guy came in to apply for the job and he was wearing pajama bottoms and a shirt that was turned wrong-side-out that had ketchup on it. He asked for an application and we gave him one. Then he started asking questions like, “What do you guys do here?” I looked out the window and saw whoever brought him was parked in the middle of the street with the passenger door still open. They didn’t even bother pulling into parking place. Obviously, the guy thought we’d take one look at him and send him on his way…checking whatever box he had to in order to say that he applied for a job so he could get his “entitlements.”

So, I turned things around on him. I said, “Can you today?” His mouth about hit the floor as I pulled him by his arm into the employee restroom and told him to get busy on the toilets. He then told me that he had to get his phone out of the car and the next thing I heard was him speeding off. These are the games we are forced to play as people choose to sit on their arse and collect money from the people that actually work for a living.

ReaganWasRight on August 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I’m quite aware of that use of the visa system. We aren’t talking about illegal aliens here — we are talking about Tata and its methods of bypassing US wage laws. My own brother in law suffered that one — Tata is prepared to offer a holistic solution to a company’s IT needs by manning call desks in India and importing crews of IT professionals to do the in-house maintenance work.

OK, I’m all for not having temporary work visas and demanding that anyone coming to this country to work be prepared to settle here and raise their children here. In return, I would expect that they will file their income tax forms like good Americans do, and dutifully sign on the dotted line each year.

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM

You’re arguing with an idiot.

CW on August 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Tried to bite my ankle but couldn’t quite reach up far enough?

Here, let me squat lower over your trashed up inability to argue with anything other than ad hominems, and say “hope the hair isn’t getting in your face”.

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Been working on a project up in Canada the past couple years. They don’t have the illegal immigrants that the US does, but their crops get picked, their hotel rooms get cleaned, their lawns get mowed.

I deeply resent the sentiment of “jobs that Americans won’t do.” It’s pure self-serving crap, trotted out as a BS justification for exploitative wages. It is a slave-holder mentality that we should find offensive in the extreme. I know that I do.

I also deeply resent that these slave-holders are depriving American teenagers of the chance to develop an abiding work ethic.

ss396 on August 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I’ve been out of work almost 7 1/2 months, and I have totally lost count of the resumes that I have sent out, many of them I am over qualified for and will never pay me what I was making (not that that will happen anyway, in this “employer” job market).

Every interview I go on, I know the employer has probably received 100s of resumes, so I guess I’m lucky to even get an interview. But I want to work. I need to work, and I don’t mean just because I need a paycheck. I was raised to work, and I have a very strong work ethic I learned from my Daddy.

This cry about jobs Americans won’t do is BS.

ladyingray on August 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM

This is not just about maids and farm workers.

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I agree. But quite a bit of it is about maids and farm workers.

I’ve already indicated my inability to understand why every construction crew — both the ones who did my house and the ones I’ve seen working other houses up and down the street — are all Spanish speakers? What advantage is there to a licensed and bonded construction company to hire them? Whatever advantage there might be is the root of the problem. Have liberals priced American labor out of the equation? Or is it greedy people like myself wanting good work done at a good price?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

A caveat on this — there is a subset of “Jobs Americans Won’t Do Because They Don’t Want To Move Away From Where They’re Currently Living“.

Case in point — Our local hospital here in West Texas had to go recruit nurses from the Philippines to handle the growth in patient census, due to the oil drilling boom. The hospital CEO said he tried to recruit RNs and LVNs from other parts of the country with higher unemployment rates that had nurses without jobs, but they would rather stay where they live and hope the economy improves then uproot their lives and move 1,000-1,500 miles away (and the current level of government benefits offered allows more people to take an ‘I’ll wait it out” stance than in the past — they don’t have to think about uprooting their lives and moving to a strange part of the country as long as they can financially hold out where they are. And that, in turn leads to foreign workers being hired to fill the void).

jon1979 on August 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

FIFY, although I suspect the irony is lost on Jazz …

ShainS on August 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Actually, you didn’t fix it. NWConservative has brought up the matter of easily obtained technical visas, which involve completely legal workers from overseas undermining (?) the labor market.

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

jon1979 on August 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

That 99 weeks of unemployment sure does help the economy, does it not?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I face this every day. It is not that Americans won’t do some jobs, it is that they don’t do them as well or for what they pay.

Ellis on August 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

LA County is approaching 60% Hispanic, and LA itself, even higher. So virtually everything that gets done around LA is going to be done by a “Hispanic looking” person. If we hadn’t opened our borders to his non-English speaking flood then it would have been done by a non-Hispanic looking person.

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

ss396 on August 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

What do they grow up there in Canada? Wheat and other grains? Grain farmers don’t have to hire illegals, because their equipment is so high tech. By the time the truck reaches the barn, the content is ready for sale.

Livestock? No illegal alien problem down here either.

Now, where does Canada get its citrus, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, etc etc etc? The United States, right? So they really do hire illegal aliens — they just don’t know it.

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

So why aren’t the other 40% well represented in the construction trades in my area? Where are the blacks, whites, asians?

Could it be that the trade schools don’t exist to produce them?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Ellis on August 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I think I could do many of these jobs as well as the next person, regardless of race, creed, or national origin. That said, would I take the pay they are paid?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Industrial (not commercial building and highway) construction workers have been in short supply since 2000 and it has gotten worse every year. Dopers cannot get these jobs, not even a joint on a weekend types. I’m talking about $100K+ per year jobs that have gone unfilled for almost two decades.

One company had to import 4,000 from India and the Philippines to Butte, MT because they couldn’t find qualified welders at $180 per hour.

Kermit on August 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Great post, Jazz. Your friend’s story is very similar to mine. I lost an engineering and planning job in 2007, when the recession was entering its initial frame.

I ended up taking a construction management job, donning boots, a hardhat and other personal protective gear on projects at the end of the world, Louisiana.

The work was hot, long, tiring and difficult, but it paid the bills and kept the roof over my family’s heads.

Like your friend, I later found work in my chosen field and left the construction business. But I will always look back on that time as one of the most instructive and important year and a half of my life.

No matter how bad things are, they’re always gonna get better. Sooner or later, this too shall pass and you will emerge stronger than before. Conservatism is, by its nature, an optimistic ideology.

Conservative Mischief on August 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Dolce Far Niente on August 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

You don’t have to pass a drug test for any of those jobs.

Kermit on August 24, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Numbers vary depending on where you get them but the sector with the highest percent of illegal workers is agriculture. The highest number I’ve seen for that is somewhere around 30%. This means that most of our vegetables are picked by legal workers. The idea that there are jobs Americans won’t do is ludicrous. Pay well enough and you can find good workers who are legal.

hopeful on August 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM

A lot of these skills were taught by family members in the trade. My neighbor was a painter for about 20 yrs. Small business. Taught his son the business.

Got to where they couldn’t compete with the low wages. It’s all about the money.

Barred on August 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM

he was happier than he’d been in a while.

Wow, that’s me. Used to be an engineer with Northrop Grumman. I’m driving a truck now. Hard work especially since I just took a shuttle driving job, but it’s less stress, and now I’m home every night. I’m also making about 1/3 what I used to make, but darn it, I’m happier. At the end of the day, I can look at what I’ve accomplished and know I did a good job. It could take months/years to finish a single project before.

I wouldn’t mind getting paid more (who wouldn’t?), but no way would I go back to the stress.

Kraken on August 24, 2014 at 6:27 PM

CJ on August 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Speaking only 1 language is not something to boast about.

Sweden and Norway are full of the whitest people on the planet and they strive to know at least 3 languages. What’s your excuse?

coolrepublica on August 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM

ladyingray on August 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM

{{{{{ L.I.G}}}}}

I’ll be praying for you to find a job….

Key West Reader on August 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Per the above, jobs may be divided into two categories:

Your being willfully ignorant. Your contractor is most likely hiring illegal immigrants (in California it is almost certain that they are) who will accept below minimum wage labor because they will also get welfare benefits on the side. They are making an equivalent of over 40-50k a year just in those benefits. Many, if not all, illegals who work use illegal soc sec numbers or ones stolen from American citizens. They also risk being deported by their employer ratting them out to ICE, so it keeps them in line.

You assume minimum wage, unless you see the tax records and have expense reports from the contractors, you don’t know anything. They could very well be paying them under the table. Either way, you are subsidizing illegal labor. Did you give them teddy bears too?

Secondly, I would assume, since we seem to be *big* on assuming, that the people standing on the corner at this Home Depot are standing there because they can’t get work with employers and so have to do it under the table in the black market.

If they are hiring them at below market rates, how can native born Americans compete with that?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM

75% of all sales in the US are grown by 5.6% of US farmland. They have enjoyed an average annual profit increase of 80% from 1997-2007.
The average labor cost for native vs illegal aliens would increase labor costs by about 10% for most farms.

American citizens are being shoved out of these sectors because they are undercut by people who have less than a middle school education and who will work for nearly nothing for these unscrupulous employers preying on them.

These agribusinesses are not hurting, they don’t have a worker shortage, they are making record profits, and they are increasingly reliant on machines rather than illegal labor. So what happens after they are finished dumping these people for machines who do everything they did, except for free? Americans get to fully subsidize an entire class of people who are: low skilled, not native english speakers, refuse to assimilate culturally, get welfare benefits, increase crime, and get to influence our elections illegally in many states.

So in the end we become: France, England, the Netherlands, etc. We all see how well that is working for them.

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

hopeful on August 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM

The Agriculture industry under GWB allowed foreign workers to come in and work seasonally. That meant that up North they’d pick bluberries and down here they’d pick strawberries.

GWB set up a program where these people couldn’t be used as slave labor, i.e., their employers HAD to pay minimum US wage and not house them in slums outside their farms and then charge them to stay there. Under GWB they came in seasonally, made their money and went back home until the next season’s harvest. Win-Win.

Then… Obama got elected and here we are.

Key West Reader on August 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Whatchoo tawkin bout, Willis? We are ALREADY funding these low skilled, non English speaking “immigrants” that Obama opened the borders to.

Make no mistake on Obama’s intentions. The Dems need more voters so he opened up the borders, rolled out the red carpet, gave them free money, free phones, free shoes, free toys, free bus rides, plane rides and a brand new voter ID card for the baby momma’s that made it.

The man should be impeached and put into prison not ONLY because he has no interest in protecting America’s interests, but because he has caused the deaths and human slavery of likely hundreds of thousands of humans.

Key West Reader on August 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Overindulged children, too busy being catered to by parents, lazy like water. The welfare state is to blame as well. Wasted generations of folks who haven’t managed to find their worth. Growing up poor was the best thing that ever happened for me. Never shyed away from work or hard work. Was always happy to have what work could be had. That ethic continues on through the good years. I was lucky along the way as well. Life will take you places you never dreamed, if you are willing to simply take part in it, too many don’t.

Bmore on August 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Could it be that the trade schools don’t exist to produce them?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM

There are vocational schools in Mexico geared straight for training Mexicans in construction and other trades and how to work in the US. It is a thriving industry down in Mexico and some other countries. Especially since many of those illegal immigrants who stay here to work send huge amounts of the money they make BACK to their home country.

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

P.S. Best advice my Mom ever gave me. “Get out and get some for yourself son.”

Bmore on August 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Wasn’t John McCain the originator of the “jobs Americans won’t do” canard?

sirpatrick on August 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Key West Reader on August 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I agree he should be impeached. But it didn’t start under Obama. He has continued and made worse that which started after the disastrous bill from Ted “The Lion of the Senate” Kennedy in 1965.

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

How about THESE jobs???

All the official CAL-OSHA documents are there detailing safety and sanitary violations, not to mention not reporting the cash wages!!

CA state agency raids 20 pallet factories in Nancy Pelosi’s backyard, finds all were paying workers $4 to $5 per hour cash, no toilet paper, no water, power saw safety guards removed for “efficiency”, and then charged workers $5 a day to sleep on the factory floor at night.

Yeah, there ARE some jobs American won’t do — and illegal aliens scared of being deported are just what unscrupulous employers want.

I bugged ICE for 3 years, but they never investigated.

fred5678 on August 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Check out the headline on Mediaite for what I assume is the same speech.

National Review Editor: Republicans Who Advocate Legalizing Immigrants ‘Should Be Shot,’ ‘Hanged’
By Eddie Scarry | 03:23 pm, Saturday

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I agree. There is an argument that farm production will shift overseas if we get rid of illegals. I have a hard time believing that. Sure, if labor costs are higher then there will certainly be an economic impact as demand will drop somewhat. However, labor is just one part of the total cost of production. I seriously doubt that farmers will throw in the towel. They may automate more and we may import a little more, but it won’t go away altogether.

Besides, in many instances imported produce is just not as good as that produced in the US. They grow varieties that will fare better under more extreme transportation conditions and I really hate a lot of the produce grown in South America and even some from Mexico. I have yet to have a good strawberry that was not grown in the US. I’m willing to pay a little more to get vegetables that actually taste good.

ReaganWasRight on August 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM

ss396 on August 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Fair question. There is orchard country in British Columbia that mirrors ours in Washington, ditto New York and Ontario (?). Their veggie growing season is shorter, but I’m sure there is one.

Who picks fruit in Canada? Anyone know? Who mows their lawns and services their hotel rooms? Who works in the construction industry doing framing, concrete, etc?

slickwillie2001 on August 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM

My mom said that when she was in high school, the boys would be absent from school during the harvest.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Dirty deeds

THUNDER CHIEF!”

Christien on August 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Check out the headline on Mediaite for what I assume is the same speech.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I was thinking lol but it’s not a laughing matter, as these business or agri-shills are traitors to the party. But hanging and shooting? (Both) I’m not sure if that would be legal.

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

The story is correct by the headline is ridiculous. And, for me, the difference means a lot.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Folks,

Don’t forget here that there are two other insults to injury that have been inflicted on the employment market by the Obama administration and Democrats:

1. The push for ever higher minimum wages effectively knocks out the bottom rungs of the job progression ladder, ensuring that employers cannot hire as many workers as they would like to with constrained resources, and therefore are much less likely to be able to grow their businesses. Over time, the throttling of growth stifles employment. But you knew that, because higher structural unemployment = more people clamoring for govt benefits, which in turn benefits the party of higher govt (establishment Republicans being the party of only “not quite so high govt as Democrats”, rather than the “party of work”); and

2. PPACA comes riddled through with incentives, directly and indirectly, that throttle employment opportunities. The worst one is an active incentive that pushes larger companies to relocate labour-intensive operations outside of the US. Not making this up.

Democrats do not want people to succeed on their own because it means that people then do not need higher govt to succeed.

Republicans whore after big business political donors who want to run around a broken system by looking the other way when illegal immigrants come in and are willing to work for less than the minimum wage. This allows them to reduce costs in a way that allows them to make a Faustian bargain with Democrats. After all, legislatin’ these days is just too hard for Republicans.

My two cents.

-Wanderlust

Wanderlust on August 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I don’t see how ultimately this won’t be construed as another period of slavery in the US.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Some say Rich Lowry was being “hyberbolic,” but you can feel what he is feeling. An excerpt:

Lowry said the Republican Party cannot claim to support American workers if they also advocate legalizing unskilled workers currently in the U.S. illegally.

“The next time I hear a Republican strategist or Republican politician say that there are jobs that Americans won’t do,” Lowry said, “that person should be shot, he should be hanged, he should be wrapped in a carpet and thrown in the Potomac River.”

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Oh, and Mexico’s incentive to push its citizenry to work illegally in the US comes with over $23bn/year in transfer payments back to Mexico, in the form of funds wired from illegal workers in the US back to their families.

This is why Mexico loves it some illegal US immigration even as it tells foreigners from south of its border to piss off or go to jail.

Wanderlust on August 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Mike Rowe is all over this subject. He has a wonderful facebook page too… smart, funny guy.

MT on August 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

It’s amazing how unidentifiable WHO these particular GOPe officials are for the Hot Air editors …

… they are ALL the GOPe politicians, officials and GOPe-media personnel bowing down to the National Chamber of Congress & GOPe Donor Class agenda.

PolAgnostic on August 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

MT on August 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I love what Rowe has done, he’s apolitical and just wants to push people to work. For my part, I tell kids these days that they should learn a trade and only go to college if their chosen profession in a STEM degree track has a good employment record for graduates. Otherwise, a college degree these days isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

Wanderlust on August 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I agree with him, I think Republicans should be on the side of working. I just think it was interesting that Mediaite was so disingenuous with their headline. No surprised, interested.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Americans will do manual labor. They just won’t do it for undermarket wages. The Democrats want the votes and the Chamber of Commerce crowd want the cheap labor, with health care and everything else for illegals subsidized by the US taxpayer. The illegals live in the shadows with no realistic hope of providing their children with a better life than their own, which is pretty much the most basic formulation of the American dream.

Our current immigration policy is completely immoral. It exploits both foreign laborers and the US taxpayer.

It would be nice if a GOP politician would be willing to tell the truth and take on the Chamber. What they are doing is disgusting, immoral and unpatriotic.

hamiltmc on August 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Speaking only 1 language is not something to boast about.

coolrepublica on August 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM

So what? Wtf this have to do with anything?

Stray Cat on August 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Mext question: In a marketplace driven by price — where people buy their groceries at the place with the lowest prices — would you, as an American farmer, price your stuff above that grown in Peru, or Brazil, or Mexico, or any of a dozen other countries whose names I see upon my produce?

And would you expect some poor penny pincher to buy your “overpriced” produce?

No matter the profit, your average farmer is going to do his or her best to keep their costs down and their prices below their competitors. And if they don’t, they will soon be out of business — even given they could convince the city slickers to work more than six hours….

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I bugged ICE for 3 years, but they never investigated.

fred5678 on August 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You make the illegal aliens into Americans and — problem solved!

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Speaking only 1 language is not something to boast about.

coolrepublica on August 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Good Grief. Point was he would do the work and this is what you focus on?

wifarmboy on August 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Barred on August 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM

In the end, it is price. They were competing against an underground economy — that’s my thought.

There are two ways to surface an underground economy, and one involves finding and deporting the millions upon millions who are in it, and fining and imprisoning anyone who attempted to profit from it.

Another method is to make the underground economy be above ground with the same citizenship incentive which was offered to my grandparents — or better if we’ve finally grown up past the nativist aspect which infests much of conservatism at this point.

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Americans will do manual labor. They just won’t do it for undermarket wages.

hamiltmc on August 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM

The farmers here tried paying the slickers minimum wage (which is what most farmworkers earn), and they couldn’t get any to stay on the job more than a day. Remember, California is entirely peopled by liberals, and I doubt most liberals have done an honest day’s work in their entire lives. When you have 99 weeks of unemployment available, why try harder?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Shay on August 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

In my opinion one of the easiest ways they can get away with discrimination is by requiring bilingual candidates only . I would bet my bottom dollar a non Hispanic would never get a job over a Hispanic no matter how well they speak Spanish.

sortssux on August 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Wanderlust on August 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Totally agree. Places like THIS are the ticket vs a generic liberal arts degree without a specific occupational target.

MT on August 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

The fix is fine the employers caught using law breaking foreign workers so much that it costs far more than it would cost to hire legal workers.
Also strip welfare benefits of the law breaking foeigns. They will leave on their own accord with no means to support themselves.

wifarmboy on August 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

And that needs to be fixed too. It’s the nature of animals and people to find the easiest food source to exploit.

wifarmboy on August 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM

But 6.0 isn’t very big. Especially for CA that should just be a hiccup. Like the 9.0 quake that hit Japan was 1000 times stronger. Or am I wrong?

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Wrong thread. Sorry. My bad.

anotherJoe on August 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM

There is no such thing as a job an AMERICAN won’t do.

For below market wages, illegally competing against foreigners that will.

ConstantineXI on August 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

And would you expect some poor penny pincher to buy your “overpriced” produce?

unclesmrgol on August 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You are distorting the market by bringing in foreign citizens. You don’t have a market on even terms here. These FOREIGN citizens are not encumbered by paying for welfare benefits, regulations, taxes, permits, insurance, levies, etc. Our citizens cannot compete with someone who can outbid them at every level.

Secondly, since farming corporations are making over 80% annual profits year to year, a 10 percent increase in labor costs for hiring ACTUAL US CITIZENS is not going to bankrupt these large farming corporations.

What you are advocating is letting our entire economy run on a black market with a permanent underclass which will be fed by ever increasing welfare benefits. We cannot even come close to affording our existing welfare state. That is the natural conclusion of your line of thought.

NOT to mention the national security implications that this is creating.

NWConservative on August 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM

“Jobs that Americans won’t do,” is as fallacious a statement that ever was. They are jobs that Americans CAN’T GET! Those are most likely jobs that have been taken by an illegal alien for a wage below the minimum wage that a business would have to pay to a legitimate citizen. The fault lies with the criminal businesses.

Woody

woodcdi on August 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM

You’re arguing with an idiot.

CW

Bingo.

xblade on August 24, 2014 at 11:54 PM

“But but but: Nobody at OUR country club would take a job like that!”

–McConnell, Rove and the rest of the Country Club Republican traitors

orangemtl on August 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I can point you to a lot of jobs Americans won’t do. Look at the labor shortage for California central valley farmers and then look at the unemployment rates in those towns. Younger people won’t do field work and the Mexicans are going home (most of the immigrants coming in to California are from south of Mexico, China, and India). Farmers have 20% to 30% shortages of workers for such jobs as manual pickers while surrounding towns have double digit unemployment rates.

crosspatch on August 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM

A very well connected guy I know tried to use that line on me to promote his RINO view of open borders.

I corrected him immediately, ” They are doing jobs Americans like YOU won’t do ”

I doubt politicians like Paul Ryan have any clue what us commoners do to feed our families at certain times.

Exninja on August 25, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Slickwillie,

For some reason the quote option isn’t available, but as a Canadian (Vancouver, southern BC) I can field that question.

Here in BC we grow quite possibly the best blueberries anywhere in the world, some of the best corn (Chilliwack corn is known all around these parts), tons of potatoes (PEI actually grows almost all the potatoes for McCain’s and Lays, to name two), we have some of the best wineries in North America (second only to California Napa Valley region), most of the worlds canola, huge amounts of wheat and other grains. Just about any non-citrus fruit is grown in the BC Okanogan region, which produces some of the very best cherries, peaches and apples that are available. Our agriculture is absolutely world class, even if the growing season is shorter, and that doesn’t seem to have much impact on quality. Through the winter months we do import many things, but if we would do the traditional method and switch to more root vegetables and minimal fruit come winter (pears, apples and a select other few cellar well enough to naturally store), that wouldn’t be the case.

Many of our farm workers are Sikh, and have come legally from the Punjab region of northern India near the Pakistan border.

Construction has two sides to who is doing the work. I am, currently, a carpenters apprentice. The options seem to be either dirt cheap, which is generally speaking Mexican or Indians from the primary body of the continent that is a largely Hindu population, or high quality, which is typically the Canadian trained and ticketed tradesmen, of whatever ethnicity (although predominantly white). The concrete finishers I am more accustomed to seeing are Mexican, although the Italian guys that come around once in awhile are far superior quality wise. The prices of the good tradesmen are being driven down, slowly but surely, as more prime contractors are going for the cheapest possible route and sacrificing the extra quality. There are different scams that the cheap routes run here, but they are all ways to get working people onto the dole and sucking our system dry. We have the same situation developing, except we have allowed legal status to these people, and we aren’t as far down the road as y’all are, yet.

starsfaninvan on August 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I’m sick to death of hearing the old canard of “how much you think you’d pay for tomatoes if Americans were picking them”.

How much do you think you’re paying for tomatoes with Mexicans picking them??? Don’t just look at the hourly rate, look at the bottom line: hourly rate + salary subsidies, welfare, section 8, health care, EBTs, WIC, SSI and disability…and don’t believe for a minute that liberal states aren’t giving these bennies out to illegals, because they are.

Your cheap tomatoes aren’t really so cheap after all, are they?

AppraisHer on August 25, 2014 at 3:22 AM

We have known this is a lie for a long time. Remember what happened after Smithfield meat packing got caught using illegals?

After all the illegals got booted, the company advertised 600 jobs. All low paying and menial, but a line of US citizens four across and a quarter mile long showed up to apply for the jobs.

Thousands of people.

Reality is, big business profits from slave wages, stagnant wages and wages that they collude and conspire to reduce. Apple, Intel and others got caught doing just that.

dogsoldier on August 25, 2014 at 5:29 AM

dogsoldier on August 25, 2014 at 5:29 AM

And then the Chinese bought it.

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

In my city Section 8 will pay up to $1650/month.

jukin3 on August 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Holy moly! That will pay my mortgage! How do I sign up for it in your city?

GWB on August 25, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I don’t care if my oranges are grown in CA or Guatemala.

faraway on August 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Then you have no taste buds.

Fruit imported from Central and South America may be as good as ours when it’s picked, but by the time it’s in a store here it is utterly devoid of flavor and nutrition. Up to 15 weeks in various refrigerated vessels, with multiple opportunities to thaw, and the imported produce rots much faster, meaning it has a very narrow window for sale in the store before it must be tossed. Maybe the stores handle them well enough to avoid losing all profit difference for buying cheaper foreign-grown produce, but that doesn’t make them taste any good.

Freelancer on August 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM