Video: Mitt Romney takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge

posted at 4:01 pm on August 22, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate I give you the ultimate Romney video. Even here, in an act of pure self-effacing silliness, he’s stiff and too formal — but also sweet and endearing. And he’s no stranger to charity, needless to say.

Now we have ice-bucket video of the last Republican president and the next one. Oh yeah:

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) dodged questions about his 2016 plans Wednesday but said he would be a big backer of Mitt Romney if he were to make another run for the White House.

“I’d drive his bus if he asked me to,” Ryan, who ran alongside Romney for vice president in 2012, said in an interview with Bloomberg Television.

Ryan said that he believed that a lot of voters now had “buyer’s remorse” about giving Obama a second term.

“A lot of the things [Romney] said in the campaign, projections he made … were true,” he said.

Is America ready to get back on the bus? Er, not really:

yg

His favorable rating, a measure of his personal popularity, is also negative at 36/44, which may be an artifact of partisanship from the 2012 election or evidence that a lot of Americans don’t find a guy they remember for his comments about “the 47 percent” so sweet and endearing after all. Interestingly, Paul Ryan went out of his way in his new book to disclaim the “makers” and “takers” rhetoric he himself has used in the past. If you’re looking for tea leaves that he’s running, whether next year or down the line, there you go.

As of Wednesday, when Bush’s video appeared, the Ice Bucket challenge had raised a little more than $30 million in donations. By Thursday, it was $41.8 million. Today it’s $53.3 million. They’re doing $10 million a day. Has any charity ever raised money like that, not including relief funds after a major disaster? It’s mind-boggling. Exit question: Mitt Romney for Treasury and HHS secretary? The dream is alive, my friends.

Comments

Ummm…where’s the ice?

kcewa on August 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Ummm…where’s the ice?

kcewa on August 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Mormons can’t use ice. The effect is too much like caffeine.

EricW on August 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I would have no problem with that. Romney could be a very valuable member of the next President’s cabinet. But we can do better than him in terms of candidates.

On that subject though, last night at the gym they had his and Ryan’s interview with Megyn Kelly on one of the TVs. It was depressing to think that instead of those two(despite their drawbacks) that we’re stuck with Obama and Bite Me. I imagine well over half of this country feels the same way.

Doughboy on August 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Mitt Romney takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge

And there friends is the moment when this fundraising fad jumped the shark. BTW, Obama refuses to do it and Dept. of State actually sent out a memo forbidding their employees from doing it. I guess state doesn’t have anything more pressing to worry about.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

2 oldish Republicans can do it, but the young, cool” Messiah win’t.

Make him look like too much of a fool or afraid he’ll melt?

formwiz on August 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Mitt is very handsome, intelligent, attractive man. He looks like Matthew Fox’s, from Lost, distinguished, older brother. Plus it’s kinda sexy that he can speak French…..ooh la la!

sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

portlandon on August 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM

So far – among the politicians – I would have to give GW the best of class vote for The Challenge.

Well done Mitt – nice cause for everyone – and it is working

jake-the-goose on August 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Ummm…where’s the ice?

kcewa on August 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Romney got a bucket with ice but determined that it would be more profitable to break it down to its component parts. He sold off the ice, recycled the water, and is currently seeking a merger with a shovel to deal with the bucket.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Make him look like too much of a fool or afraid he’ll melt?

formwiz on August 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Neither. He knows he’s so evil that they would have to treat the water as hazardous waste. That would be bad optics, don’t cha know?

platypus on August 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

“I’d drive his bus if he asked me to,”

Sounds good – but only if Mitt has the wherewithall to throw him under it, that is.

whatcat on August 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM

sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

portlandon on August 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM

That description could equally be applied to John Kerry.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM

There was ice in that bucket, you can see and hear them.

Awesome for Romney to do it in his blue suit and red tie.

Still like the guy. Would have been a great POTUS, not perfect, but dam^ good IMHO.

aquaviva on August 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM

That description could equally be applied to John Kerry.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Well, as long as you put a bag on that horseface.

platypus on August 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Ummm…where’s the ice?

kcewa on August 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

It’s a stimulant, so they can’t have ice.

right2bright on August 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

portlandon on August 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Where the heck do you get these blasts from the past…it cracks me up.

I like the libfreeordie the best…but these are right up there.

right2bright on August 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM

“Colder than the election night results.”

Defenestratus on August 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Still not as good as Trey Gowdy’s. But that guy’s got icewater in his veins anyway, so it barely counts.

Sgt Steve on August 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Of course the first thing he does is try to fix his hair.

Mark1971 on August 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Doesn’t ALS ” research” use embryonic stem cells ?

burrata on August 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Before I said the ice bucket challenge is dumb.

Well, yesterday across the river in Kentucky, a ladder truck participating in a mass ice bucket challenge dumping got too close to a power line and injured 4 firefighters, one seriously. Another is in fair condition.

LashRambo on August 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Lol! Really good. :)

Cody1991 on August 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Um, what’s with this “Mormons cannot have ice” bit? No one, and I mean, no one, has ever suggested that as a prohibition to Mormons. And I’ve read most of the literature out there.

The prohibitions are alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, abusing prescription drugs, coffee, and tea. Grey areas are caffeine and herbal tea.

Ice is found nowhere.

That said, I’m glad Mitt has done this.

As for the Messiah (in his own mind), he’d get too much dirt on the golf polo to do it.

Vanceone on August 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Show the rest of the video. Romney proceeds to kick his dog clear across the parking lot, then uses a C-note to light a cigar while his Mexican valet delicately sweeps the ashes from Mitt’s expensive Italian shoes using a whisk made from the feathers of endangered Golden Eagles.

Bishop on August 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, he’s pretty stiff. The makings of an easy caricature on SNL.

And NO to a Romney/Ryan redux. If you couldn’t win the first time around, it ain’t happening the second time.

conservative pilgrim on August 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Um, what’s with this “Mormons cannot have ice” bit?
Vanceone on August 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

It’s a joke.

Nick_Angel on August 22, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Doesn’t ALS ” research” use embryonic stem cells ?

burrata on August 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Some, perhaps, but not all. A young woman just posted a video of taking the challenge just after explaining that she opposes ESCR but still obviously supports finding a cure for ALS through other means.

bmmg39 on August 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Boy, that was quite a risk for him; what if he had short-circuited?

Kensington on August 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Yes, Mitt’s a good sport and a fine family man and a talented businessman.

He’s also a dreadful candidate, he’s not going to win a Presidential race, and Ryan is not going to be VP. Or P. Can we stop, pleeez?

Dolce Far Niente on August 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM

This challenge has already gone into self-aggrandizement mode. Celebs want to be seen doing noble things and this allows them to do that for a minimal cost. The majority of them won’t give ALS another thought.

echosyst on August 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t drink iced tea.
He’s running. Heaven help us.

HornetSting on August 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Where the heck do you get these blasts from the past…it cracks me up.

I like the libfreeordie the best…but these are right up there.

right2bright on August 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I for one am sick and tired of the gratuitous Mitt GQ handsome posts…if you hate good looking people I hate you!

freakin commies

windansea on January 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Remember that Hot Air was bought out a couple of years back? Yeah, I think it was a Christian media place. Which does explain all the Romney hate here now doesn’t it?

I guess they know who makes out the checks.

petunia on October 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM

BakerAllie- I say this with all sincerity- I think Romney is going to be a better president than Reagan.

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

if Sarah Palin had backed the only candidate with a prayer of defeating Obama and the Primary had ended after Florida Mitt Romney would likely have won.

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

portlandon on August 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Will Paul Ryan reach the age of 75 and still look boyish?

And, isn’t Mitt Romney just Ned Flanders brought to life?

Esaus Message on August 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Let’s really diss the msm, race pimps, Holder and Obama off.

Let’s put our money where our mouth is.

they lie on August 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM

If you truly listened to the man – Mitt Romney – the Man – you could see what a truly great man he is and a great President he could’ve been.
But you don’t have to worry, he has said he will not run and I believe him.
BTW, this rich man does not play golf!

Bambi on August 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I don’t know what this is about, but from what I’ve seen, it’s a 10 on the stupid scale.

Alabama Infidel on August 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t short circuit.

lorien1973 on August 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

All this media craze to express our desire to find a cure for ALS is great. But where are the checks? I know two people fighting the disease right now. I don’t expect them to be cured, but please send money to fund the research to discover a cure.

SC.Charlie on August 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Nancy Pelosi takes the ice bucket challenge.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I’ve pretty much had enough with the ice bucket challenge. Why do people have to have ice water dumped upon them in order to make a contribution?

cajunpatriot on August 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM

stupid

corona79 on August 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Weird Al Yankovic Takes Ice Bucket Challenge, Then Calls Out Three Religios Leaders: The Pope, The Dalai Lama, and Obama.

Christien on August 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I’m not hep…what happens if you refuse the challenge and don’t donate?

Christien on August 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM

He’s a good sport.

bernzright777 on August 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I love Mitt. We lost out big time in 2012.

BettyRuth on August 22, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Mormons can’t use ice. The effect is too much like caffeine.

EricW on August 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM

While I’m unaware of any stimulatory similarities vis-a-vis caffeine…………….I do have in person live experience buying beer in Utah – one can NOT purchase COLD beer – You must travel home and chill it (unless I suppose you’re British?)

Katfish on August 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM

cajunpatriot on August 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Cmonnnn it’s all in good fun – heck put a Cajun ‘spin’ on the deal and dump a bucket of mudbugs over your head – then EAT em!!

Katfish on August 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Will someone nominate Trump? I wanna see his hair get wet.

lonestar1 on August 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM

If not Mitt who? Ryan? I have yet to see anyone who comes close to Mitt. But he says he isn’t running. And I don’t want to go through anther primary with a candidate people hate. I bet he is tired of being hated too.

So the country gets some stupid mediocre career politician and everything continues on the same path as the last 15 years.

Yipee.

petunia on August 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Yipee.

petunia on August 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Ahh, the irony.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I appreciate Mitt taking the challenge. My Dad died of ALS and it was horrible watching him waste away and not being able to do anything, so I donate for research and I took the challenge in honor of my great Dad. (even if my Dad was a staunch Democrat- ha)

I wish this was a video of President Romney taking the challenge. America got it wrong the last election.

WyoMike on August 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Have we really sunk so low, where we will now subject ourselves to accept YouGov.com bullcrap to further any case we want yo make? Un- freakin believeable.
What, was HuffingtonPost polling not available for this fluffy?

FlaMurph on August 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM