Video: The shooting of Kajieme Powell

posted at 11:21 am on August 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Horribly tragic but I don’t think I’ve seen so much as one op-ed or blog post calling for the cops to be prosecuted for it. Powell is the man who was killed a few days ago by cops in St. Louis, with national media right next door in Ferguson. He was, witnesses say, behaving erratically and had a knife on him; he allegedly had stolen a couple of drinks from a convenience store, at which point the cops were called. When they pulled up, Powell started screaming at them, “Shoot me now!” Watch the first video below to see what happened next. (The clip is edited so that it freezes before he drops.) After the shooting, the chief of police claimed that Powell had come at the officers holding his knife menacingly high, with an overhand grip. Not true. His arms were at his side when he was shot. The knife itself is small enough as to be not obviously visible in the video.

And yet, as you’ll see the chief explain in the second video below, a man with a knife is no small threat to a cop with a gun. Conor Friedersdorf, while troubled by the shooting, felt obliged to post a police training video showing how quickly a man with a blade can reach and injure a man with a firearm. The rule of thumb is that a knife is a lethal weapon within 21 feet. Powell was much closer than that. The flurry of shots is explained by the same logic. When you’re shooting to stop a man who’s coming at you with a knife, you do just that — shoot to stop him. Aiming for an extremity raises the odds that you’ll miss, and if you miss, you may end up dead. You aim for the torso, center mass, and you pull until your goal of stopping the man is achieved. You’ll likely hear that point made again down the road, when Darren Wilson is finally forced to explain why an unarmed man who had allegedly busted his eye, tried to take his gun, and was advancing on him needed to be shot six times.

The objections to what the cops did have less to do with legal culpability than with ways they might have avoided killing Powell. What about a taser? The problem there, said the police chief, is that Powell was wearing a sweatshirt. True, it was open at the chest, but that’s a small target to aim at. If they had hit him with the stun gun while he was advancing and the probes ended up embedded in his clothes rather than his skin, he might have kept coming with no time for the cop with the taser to reach for his gun. Okay, but there were two cops there; if the taser didn’t drop him instantly, the other officer had his gun already trained on Powell and could have taken him down. (If neither cop had a taser handy, why didn’t he?)

Another objection, made by Friedersdorf and Ross Douthat, is that the cops should have put more distance between themselves and Powell and tried to talk him into surrendering. That would have reduced the ambiguity of Powell’s actions in the video too: Maybe he was about to charge them right before they shot him — or maybe not. If there had been 30 feet between them instead of, say, six feet, they might have been better able to judge. All true, but what about the bystander in the red cap who’s briefly visible in the video? He looks to me to be maybe 15 feet or so from Powell at one point, within the lethal zone for a knife attack. If the cops backed off and then Powell turned around, rushed the bystander, and stabbed him in the gut, the cops would have had maybe one second to hit him from a distance. If they missed, what would the headlines have been then? Right: “Man dies after cops refused to engage violent suspect.” It would have become an instant contrast with Michael Brown, where an unarmed man dies because one cop is too quick to shoot while an armed man is allowed to kill an innocent because police are suddenly too gun-shy.

My weak, easy hope when faced with a moral quandary like this is that technology will help solve it. Tasers will be refined, they’ll become cheaper and more reliable, and more cops will have them as a means to stop a violent perp without killing him. Of course, that’ll end up posing a different problem, as some irresponsible cops end up overusing the new technology. Better that than overusing a gun, though.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The key to a successful mugging is not to appear to be a mugger as you approach your target.

Joseph OHenry on August 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM

You should see some of the “usual suspects”.

Vanity Fair

Meanwhile, the incident report on Powell’s killing lists the officers—who were completely unharmed—as the “victims” in the incident. Eric Holder told Americans he understands why they sometimes distrust the police that are tasked with protecting them, a point two St. Louis officers had just underscored with at least nine pulls of a trigger.

DJ Rick on August 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Retreating in the face of an armed man? Ever tried backing up with a pistol on-target when you can’t so much as use your peripheral vision to scan the ground for obstacles, not to mention that backing up increases the distance and thus the likelihood of a missed gunshot.

This perp chose his path, he got sent on his way for his trouble.

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Yeah. That’s the ticket. Let a crazed man with a knife run the situation.

What if he just took off toward a house, kicked the door in and attacked whoever was in the house, killing them? The public would have said, “Why didn’t you try and stop this? Why didn’t you shoot him?”

The cops were right, and so would anyone who was in that situation. You don’t have to wait to get stabbed to defend yourself.

Patriot Vet on August 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Good grief, AP. Powell got himself killed. Likely the same thing with Brown. People like this are playing with fire and they got burned.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Once upon a time, we raised kids that were smart enough to know that just because Daffy Duck got away with it, you wouldn’t in real life. That if you did yell SHOOT ME, SHOOT ME NOW, you really would be dead.

MNHawk on August 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Of course that pie-in-the-eye thinking ignores the fact that the perps will also end up with cheaper and more reliable tasers.

Nevertheless, I’m tired of cops being called irresponsible and second-guessed whenever they end up dropping a threat by the use of a fire arm.

Happy Nomad on August 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

The video will be the difference. All cops should wear a body camera. Period. For everyone’s protection. Cops should not be allowed to turn off said camera as was the case recently when one was turned off just before the officer shot someone!

LeftCoastRight on August 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

This video is still pretty shocking. Talk about bad optics during a tense time. Unhelpful, and it’s hard not to think two armed cops didn’t have another option to take him down in what was clearly staged by the perp to draw attention to (perceived) cop abuse in the MB shooting. He got what he asked for, literally.

It just makes me sick to watch.

Bee on August 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Better that than overusing a gun, though.

Well, you better decide pretty quick. At the rate New York City is regaining its bad old days crime rate, that decision might be valuable

butch on August 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Anyone, black, white or green, who arms themselves and proceeds to taunt, threaten or advance on an armed law enforcement officer deserves to suffer the consequences of such actions.

What was that song by the late, great Jim Croce?

You don’t tug on Superman’s cape
You don’t spit into the wind
You don’t pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don’t mess around with the cops

bimmcorp on August 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Meh. Completely justified action by the police imho.

Norwegian on August 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

What?! A falsehood uttered by the boys in blue! Say it ain’t so, Joe.

corona79 on August 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

What the hell kind of name is “Kajieme”?

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

So I guess the scene in Dirty Harry, with Eastwood
standing over Scorpio on the football field on his leg,
saying he could’ve Splattered his Brains all over isn’t
happening by Police??

Damn. Because there sure as hell are people who
should have that happen to them….

ToddPA on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Better that than overusing a gun, though.

Most people do not intentionally “overuse” a gun. It’s primarily bought and kept in possession for purposes of self-defense, but with the hope that it never has to be used.

If a cop is being assailed by an armed and dangerous person, they don’t have the luxury of pinpointing gunfire, deciding which number of shots is appropriate to use, etc. Any individual utilizing a firearm for self-defense is going to worry first and foremost that the threat with which they’re confronted is neutralized and that bystanders aren’t injured.

Maybe I’m making too much of this, but that “overusing a gun” line bothered me a bit.

Aizen on August 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Some of these “journalists” need to get out of their cubicles and do a ride along for a week to get a better perspective….

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

What the hell kind of name is “Kajieme”?

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

You ought to go and read the rosters of about 10 NFL teams, and y’all will have your answer.

bimmcorp on August 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

What?! A falsehood uttered by the boys in blue! Say it ain’t so, Joe.

corona79 on August 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

falsehoods uttered every day by Democrats and thugs (but I
repeat myself)?

Say it ain’t so Corona!!

ToddPA on August 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

The police do NOT back up to allow a man with a knife to take their police cruiser which will end in a high speed chase. He had a knife. He advanced on the officers with said knife. Only shooting him with a gun until he stops is the right course of action. Use of Force Continuum.

I suggest you study it Allah. It will make your moral quandaries easier to overcome and your writing in police actions will improve.

Conservative4Ever on August 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Powell is the man who was killed a few days ago by cops

This does not comply with the AP style guide. Corrected:

Dr. Powell is the young, angelic historically-oppressed Black teenager who was killed murdered in cold blood a few days ago by a racist white pig.

faraway on August 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Okay, maybe I’m behind the times, but it would never even occur to me to approach two armed officers, with a knife, shouting “Shoot me now”, and expect anything different that the outcome of this video.

SailorMark on August 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. That being said the good guys could saved themselves some grief if they utilized a 12 gauge with a bean bag round in it.

ewyattstorch on August 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Call me crazy, but if two men (cops or not) have guns trained on me, I’m going to behave myself.

But that’s just me.

CurtZHP on August 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

The most dangerous situation a cop can encounter is responding to a domestic, how exactly do they “increase the distance” when they need to knock on the front door and actually see what’s occurring?

I wouldn’t turn my back on a guy with a knife, if for no other reason than I’m not going to wind myself if the dude decides to run after me, why would a cop be expected to retreat when their job is deal with thugs like Kajimwajejeyay?

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

AP is becoming intimately familiar with his naval because he gazes at it constantly. Not only beta but naive.

Vince on August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

All these questions about why the police did what they did and no one is bothering to look at their SOP? AP, stop trying to frame this in a “What would you do scenario?” This is about police tactics, training, and department standard operating procedures. If the officers violated those, then it’ll be quite clear to their Internal Affairs division.

BKeyser on August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

What the hell kind of name is “Kajieme”?

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

What leftist moron would name himself after a crappy Mexican beer?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Several years ago, here in Jax, there was a robbery and a carjacking outside a bank and a fast food restaurant. The suspect knocked the woman into the passenger seat and took off, flooring it, heading right toward where several cops were parked with guns drawn. Five police officers opened fire some 42 times. The woman was shot in her leg as she dove out of the car and the suspect was shot and killed. What made this such a sensational national news story is the fact that the woman’s two year old son was in the backseat riddled with bullets. He survived (barely) and they got an undisclosed settlement. However, the controversy was over the number of times the police fired their weapons, the fact that they should have used caution since they didn’t know their was a kid in the car, etc. I bring this up because it made me realize that police work is not black and white. If I were in the same situation, I would have done the exact same thing as I’m sure many of you would. When we read a lot of these stories, we tend to think, well the cop overacted. Try putting yourself in their shoes for a while and you may see things a little differently.

joekenha on August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Unarmed + White: Why I Won’t Be Shot By The Police

I’ve never been pulled over by the cops when I hadn’t done anything wrong. I’ve never been asked for identification for no apparent reason. I’ve never been stopped and frisked. I’ve never been asked to empty my pockets. I’ve never been followed by the police so they could “run my plates.” And certainly I’ve never been shot 6 times. I’ve never had to worry about the police at any point during my 36 years of life. And there’s only one reason for that. The color of my skin. I’m white.

Before I continue, let me address some of my fellow white people, who are already saying I’m wrong. Sure, there have been times in this country when a white person has been abused by the power vested in the job of a police officer, some that even have led to tragic deaths. Times that cops didn’t do what they were supposed to do. We agree that it has happened before, and it might have even happened to you or someone you know. But the relationship we have with the cops, in general, is one where the police officers are our “friends.” They are protecting and serving our communities. We do not fear them because they do not fear us.

I would also like to address any police officer or family member of a police officer who is reading this and already shaking their head. An overwhelming number of police officers do their jobs without any incident or complaint. The difficulty of the job of men and women in uniform is often understated. There is no doubt in my mind that the job is tough. However, my personal reflection is not about all officers, but about a few that have a dramatic effect on the rest of their departments and the rest of our nation. And certainly about a system that institutionalizes an unequal treatment of people of color in police departments through culture and policies that encourage an “us vs. them” mentality.

In Ferguson, MO, where an unarmed, black teenager was gunned down by a white officer just 11 days ago, sadly it wasn’t an uncommon occurrence in the United States. The people on the ground in Ferguson who have protested since his death are deeply inspiring, as they have been fighting selflessly not just for their own community, but for the future of our entire nation. According to a report released byUSA Today, every week from 2005 to 2012, white police officers have killed two black people. And that number, according to the article, could be under-reported. According to a study done by the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement, a black person is killed every 36 hours by a police officer, a security guard or a self-appointed law enforcer.

So when I think how I relate to the death of Mike Brown, I don’t. In fact I don’t relate at all. Because the circumstances he found himself in on the day he was killed don’t happen to people like me. I will never understand what it is like to walk down the street and fear when a police car passes me by. I will never understand what it is like to have a police officer pull up behind me at a red light, fearful of what they might do to me if they pull me over (and I am not talking about giving me a ticket because I made an illegal turn). I will never understand what it is like to have guns pointed at me while I exercise my first amendment right and peacefully protest against my government.

These are the privileges that are pre-packaged with the color of my skin that come with an inheritance of benefits the moment I was born. The moment I entered this world. And now they have been passed on to my son. Even though his mother is Latina, the Skolnik genes were quite strong, and he has my skin color and my auburn hair…so the world will perceive him as white, and he will receive the same privileges I have been given.

However, acknowledging our white privilege is no longer good enough. It is simply the first step to realizing that the death of Mike Brown is not an isolated incident, nor are the protests that have ensued since. The question we have to answer, as white people, is how much are we going to challenge each other to no longer abuse our privilege? The fact that our lives matter more in this country than those who have a darker skin color is a fact that will hold our progress back, until it is remedied. This must be our fight. Not just equality, but equity. Not just fairness, but justice. Not just peace, but safety.

So, as solutions to the policing problem in this country are offered by members of the Ferguson community and black communities around the country, we must listen. We must listen and do everything we can to spread these ideas to help force a change in policy, as if we are to be true allies, we will follow the lead of those who have suffered these injustices for years and understand what is like to be Mike Brown.
~Michael Skolnik

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

But that’s just me.

CurtZHP on August 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

You and every other rational human being with a desire to draw breath for the remainder of the day…

bimmcorp on August 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I’m with the police on this. He was walking towards them not running but moving quickly right at them… with a knife. It looked like he was less than 6 feet away… if they had not fired and he had lunged he could have planted that knife into a chest or neck no problem.

JellyToast on August 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Why the exhausting analysis? The fool approached the cops with a weapon in a threatening manner. They followed protocol and took him out before he could harm them.
Good grief.
Good riddance.

FireBlogger on August 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

This video does answer one question that has been raised concerning the Michael Brown shooting…would anyone rush at a policeman that has a gun drawn and aimed at them?

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Further evidence that drunk and stupid can be fatal.

HatfieldMcCoy on August 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Cops are no longer going to be able to help folks in these areas. Sad. Those knife wielding, strong arm robbers are being defended over cops. Goodbye law & order in the inner city. Hope they like it

southernms on August 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Ned Pecker on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Once again, no original thought. That is what is lacking with your posts, Ned. It is just empty up there. Just like the suit occupying the WH.

Patriot Vet on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

RINO!////

Seriously, though, AP, religion has been answering moral quandaries for 2 millenia (and even longer for Judaism and other religions.) Technology is not a replacement and doesn’t deal with morality.

sauldalinsky on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

For all the differences here, one of the most significant is the Police Chief. He’s direct and forthcoming. Just seems miles above the guy in Ferguson (who would only talk to Sean Hannity).

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I forgot. Is Neddie lester?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

southernms on August 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Maybe we can build walls around the inner cities and let them police themselves ala Escape From New York.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Looks like he got what he wanted.

Where do people get the idea that police aren’t going to shoot? Or aren’t supposed to shoot?

Bigbullets on August 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Just my opinion, AP…I don’t think you are going to make it as a police officer…LOL.

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

bimmcorp on August 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Now that’s funny.

celtic warrior on August 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

great column AP, lets take bullets away and give the cops beanbags. or maybe they should just drive away from calls involving armed perps??? are you trying to be Ace and play devil’s advocate here? cause you’re not as good at it and he sux at doing it to begin with!

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Generally, it’s considered good form to source when you c&p

butch on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I have never approached an officer with a knife, punched a cop in the face or anything resembling that kind of behavior and amazingly I have never been shot by a cop

rik on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I would agree with that.

One other difference, though, is that this shooting is on video wher it’s easy to see the justification (unless you’re AP). The Brown shooting is till a matter of corroborating witness accounts, which could account for the lack of information coming out so far.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

You know.. lots of crazies out there. And in today’s world… you feel like your only chance to be something great is to maybe be the guy that sparks the next great revolution or something. So, you already feel like a failure but instead of throwing yourself off a roof.. you throw yourself into a hail of police bullets. Fantasizing in death you’ll achieve what you never could have in life.

People will memorialize you. Women will cry over you. Mobs will protest, loot and pillage all because of you. Celebrities will even cry on national TV.. and they’ll all be speaking your name.

JellyToast on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

What leftist moron would name himself after a crappy Mexican beer?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I just googled it. It is a beer. Didn’t know that.

Anyway, in my family, I am “Grandfather” or “Grandpa.” In the native language here, that’s “Lolo.”

And . . . “leftist”?

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

What?! A falsehood uttered by the boys in blue! Say it ain’t so, Joe.

corona79 on August 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

He probably made some furtive movements, too.

BobMbx on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I forgot. Is Neddie lester?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Right down to the windowless white van, puppy, and bag of candy.

CurtZHP on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Or a night in Chicago.

socalcon on August 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

LOL Michael Skolnik? LOLOLOL

The same guy that referred to 6’4″ 290LB little Mikey as a boy?

Michael Skolnik, beta male and libtard? LOLOLOL

weak stuff, HAL.

HumpBot Salvation on August 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

In 100 years cops will be able to set their phasers to stun with a flip of the thumb, but until that day arrives they need to use deadly force.

Wigglesworth on August 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

HuffPost. Where else.

But look at the first two who posted comments had to say.

Timothy Devereux · Top Commenter
Three days ago, I would’ve believed every word in this article save for white privilege. I think now that new facts are brought to light the fact that you are trying to make a national issue out of a non-issue is absurd. Mike Brown was a bad kid who assaulted Officer Wilson. The cop, with a damaged orbital lobe, was immobilized and unable to drive away. To avoid another vicious assault, Wilson took down Brown the only way he could. End of story.

—–

JJ JJ
It is not the color of ones skin that draws attention to him, but ones actions and attitudes.

Patriot Vet on August 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Red pecker thinks that if you have been frisked before, you should rob people, beat up policemen, bumrush them, burn down stores, and riot.

faraway on August 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

The cop wasn’t left with any options as the guy kept advancing on him.

forest on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Horse shlt.

bimmcorp on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

AP, what is it about all of this that makes you utterly unable to second-guess, hypothesize, wonder aloud, speculate, and otherwise fantasize about what might’ve, could’ve, should’ve happened?

ffs

Midas on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

~Michael Skolnik

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I wonder if the esteemed Mr. Skolnik ever felt a twinge of angst about working on behalf of a guy who used the term “typical white person”, or another guy who said “the first really clean and articulate African American”.

Skolnik [] He also served on Vice President Biden’s task force on gun violence.[28] And in 2012, Skolnik joined the Obama re-election campaign as an official surrogate, campaigning across the country and engaging with young people through traditional and social media.

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I watched the video, and I can’t find myself conjuring much sympathy.

Had he dropped the knife, nothing would have occurred.

Douthat and Friedersdorf need to stop with the concern trolling. Dealing with criminals is not like reasoning with kindergarteners.

blatantblue on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

rik on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Interestingly enough, a lot of black people fall into this same category. And yet we’re supposed to believe that white cops just shoot blacks for the fun of it.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I forgot. Is Neddie lester?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

HotAirLib

everdiso is lester the molester

HumpBot Salvation on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

You can’t expect Verbie to be bothered with that minutiae!

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I was referring to that fool Corona. Not you.

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

s/b utterly unable to *not* second-guess, etc…

Midas on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

+1.

I bet the department even still has all their hard drives.

rogerb on August 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Keep in mind…Chris Hayes made his bones the other night. Now, we will suffer interminably for the rest of his broadcast career about the time he was assaulted and narrowly escaped with his life.

BobMbx on August 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

That’s nice Ned. Is this your explanation of your ignorance?

Vince on August 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

HotAirLib

everdiso is lester the molester

HumpBot Salvation on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Dangit! I Can’t keep these past/present trolls straight w/o a program!

So Neddie is HAL eh?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

HotAirLib

everdiso is lester the molester

HumpBot Salvation on August 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ah, right you are. I stand corrected.

CurtZHP on August 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Is the language Tagalog, by chance?

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

+1.

I bet the department even still has all their hard drives.

rogerb on August 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Verbie says he scrolls past you, Del and NotCoach. So he doesn’t see his day to day errors/falsehoods/parsing/etc. He says you’re not nice people or something.

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Well, he was wearing a hoodie…?

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Michael Skolnik, the guy on the board of the Trabon Martin Foundation?

LOLOLOL

HumpBot Salvation on August 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

JellyToast on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Yeah, I think most of us are fine if they want to sit in the village square, douse themselves with accelerant and light themselves up, if they feel that strongly about something.:) Do it solo!

butch on August 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

It would have become an instant contrast with Michael Brown, where an unarmed man dies because one cop is too quick to shoot and while an armed man is allowed to kill an innocent because police are suddenly too gun-shy.

And you know this, how?

Barred on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

A rookie San Diego cop forgot the 21 foot rule. Kind and caring, he kept his weapon holstered and kept talking. The suspect crossed the distance and planted scissors right in his chest. The cop died right there, with his weapon partially out of it’s holster.

As for the suspect in this shooting; don’t bring a big mouth and a knife to a gun fight.

BTW Allah, in this particular incident, forget the Taser, better to use a ‘bean-bag’ shotgun round….only problem is that it’s lethal under 10 feet away.

GarandFan on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

The Ferguson Chief should have taken the 5th, I mean if it’s good enough for federal-level government employees than certainly it’s good enough for a burg city guy.

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

it should be a matter of policy to shoot out the knees first…..if a policeman can’t hit somebody in the knees at 7 yards then they need to practice until they can

clandestine on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Unarmed + White: Why I Won’t Will Be Shot By The Police]
Ned Pecker

Unarmed + White = Shot By Black Plainclothes Officer

According to an eyewitness at the scene of the shooting death, Randy Edwards, Whitehead was shot in cold blood at the hand of off-duty Orange officer Capt. Robert Arnold.

I could see (off-duty Orange police captain Robert) Arnold was out of control,” Edwards recounted of the events July 26, 2010, when Whitehead was killed. “He came at James (Whitehead) with the intent to kill him and that is exactly what he did. It was all just so crazy to get to that point. There was a yelling; then there was a shooting. Then (Whitehead) was dead.”

Whitehead, a decorated Marine called a “hero” by the men whose lives he saved on the battlefield, was shot once at point-blank range and succumbed to his injuries almost instantaneously. His last words, said Edwards, were directed at the man who pulled the trigger to end the young soldier’s life.

“James stood up and said, ‘You shot me,’ while looking Arnold in the face,” Edwards remembered in detail. “Arnold just looked at him and said, ‘I damn sure did.’ Then, James just fell back in the truck and died.”

A detailed report penned by then-police-chief Sam Kittrell, 38 pages to be exact, listed numerous instances where Arnold showed lacking judgment in the handling of the incident that occurred in July 2010. Kittrell stopped short of calling the shooting a murder, but did opt to indefinitely suspend Arnold as a result of the police chief’s internal investigation into the facts of what transpired in the moments leading up to the Marine’s death.

Right, wrong skin color.

Patriot Vet on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

clandestine on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

The earlobes, always go for the earlobes; they bleed a lot which discombobulates the bad guy but the wound itself is non-lethal.

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

How would he know if he was followed by police and have his plates run? If he was legal, they would have come back clean and the police would have moved on.
The rest of Mikeys rant is delusion leftist boilerplate and logical fallacies with no basis in objective reality.
Obama voter.

Mimzey on August 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I would agree with that.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

It’s certainly easier to see the justification.
Also, these officers are responding to a report of a crazed man wielding a knife. I can’t say for sure other options weren’t available to them – and AP seems to be curious about that as well.
But they’re the ones faced with making the decision. And these are decisions that get made inside chaotic seconds.
I’m sure even they in hindsight wonder how it might have been handled and ended differently.

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I forgot. Is Neddie lester?

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Right down to the windowless white van, puppy, and bag of candy.

CurtZHP on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

You missed the Farley quote.

“I live in a Van down by the River!!”

ToddPA on August 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I’ve never been pulled over by the cops when I hadn’t done anything wrong.

I have and I’m a middle aged white guy

I’ve never been asked for identification for no apparent reason.

I have and I’m a middle aged white guy

I’ve never been stopped and frisked.

I haven’t either because when I’ve been stopped I’ve been courteous and understanding and did what the law enforcement officer asked of me

I’ve never been asked to empty my pockets.

See above

I’ve never been followed by the police so they could “run my plates.”

I have and when pulled over I was courteous and understanding and did what the law enforcement officer asked of me. In return he was courteous and the whole event concluded quickly.

And certainly I’ve never been shot 6 times.

I’m sure if I went up to the officer, punched his face in, reached for his gun, then went after him again I might have been.

Or I can just obey the law because that works too.

bsinc1962 on August 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I just googled it. It is a beer. Didn’t know that.

And . . . “leftist”?

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

He wasn’t referring to you, Lolo, but corona79.

I also did not know Lolo was a beer (but it is a pass and a national forest in Montana)

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Why didn’t they just shoot the knife out his hand…? said elite media types.

d1carter on August 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

There was a Cops program with a woman with a knife in the back of a car. One cop tried to distract her from one door while the other snuck up behind her from the other door. All of a sudden she jumps out at the first cop and chases him. I couldn’t believe how fast she was. The only thing that saved him was her slipping and falling on the cement. Unfortunately, she fell on her knife and needed an ambulance.

Blake on August 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

We’ve already learned tasers can be lethal too and people griped about them when that happened.

You just can’t please everyone, so go with what you know works.

Shoot them. Shoot them dead.

The resolution to not becoming dead when interacting with police is to not aggravate the situation.

ButterflyDragon on August 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Also, if you shoot for the shoelaces or things held up by velcro, the prep would most likely trip and fall creating an opportunity for the police to pounce (gently) and subdue the perp safely and kindly.

Mimzey on August 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Obama voter.

Mimzey on August 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

What kind of horsesh*t is that? I’M white and I’VE been followed and had my plates run MANY times. And I drive a standard vehicle not some hooptie that begs “Look at me!!!”
I’ve had cops put me and my white friend on the pavement more than once.
I had one deputy literally drag me out of my car because he thought I gave him the finger.
Some were white cops. Some were black cops. All they ever got from me was “yes sir” and “no sir”.

Judge_Dredd on August 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

CNN: “Why didn’t the police surrender?”

faraway on August 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

What about the civilians in the area? If he took off after them, does the cop shoot him in the back, maybe hitting a bystander?

Oh, the howling!!!

Blake on August 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Shorter version:

Allahpundit, patron saint of violent felons, thinks police should be armed with rainbows and butterfly kisses.

Master Shake on August 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Bishop on August 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

The Ferguson Chief should just watch the STL chief here – and maybe learn something. And anyone who assumes the Ferguson Chief is at all representative of professional LEOs should also watch this.

verbaluce on August 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Ned Pepper on August 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I think Mr. Skolnik will find that if he rushes a police officer with aggressive intent and a sufficiently threatening weapon (in Brown’s case, actual physical size. Btw. did you know “Unarmed” assailants kill twice as many people a year as those with firearms? It’s the “personal weapons” statistic), he will indeed be shot even though he is white.

This privilege BS is just leftist posturing to mask blunt trauma level stupidity with intellectualism.

BKennedy on August 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

What the hell kind of name is “Kajieme”?

Lolo on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

It stands for “My parents hate me” in Swahili.

RickB on August 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Maybe, Allahpundit, Friedersdorf and Doughnut should take a taser course? Learn all about it and when and when it is not effective. Try shooting it and hitting what you are aiming at. Hell, you don’t even have to do the OBLIGATORY being tased yourself. (though it would be funny).

Blake on August 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

You really are an awful squish, AP.

GWB on August 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM