posted at 8:41 pm on August 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Signal. Easy prediction: This soundbite will inspire lots of scoffing and sneering without even a bare attempt at an argument on the merits for why he must be wrong.

“There’s the obvious great concern that because of the condition of the border from the standpoint of it not being secure and us not knowing who is penetrating across, that individuals from ISIS or other terrorist states could be [crossing the border] — and I think there is a very real possibility that they may have already used that,” he said…

“We have no clear evidence of that but your common sense tells you when we’ve seen the number of criminal activities that have occurred — and I’m talking about the assaults, the rapes, the murders — by individuals who have come into this country illegally over the last five years, the idea that they would not be looking at [the border] … is not a good place to be,” he said.

He’s fearmongering! ISIS poses no direct threat to the U.S. (yet)! Is that right? Here’s Mike Morell, former deputy director of the CIA:

After explaining what he thought needed to be done to defeat the terrorists (more targeted strikes and better intelligence), he said that “if an ISIS member showed up in a mall in the United States tomorrow with an AK-47 and killed a number of Americans I would not be surprised.”

“Over the long-term, I worry that this group could present a 9/11-style threat,” he added, noting the group presents both a short-term and long-term threat.

ISIS has every incentive to do it, too. Nothing would lift their prestige in the jihadiverse more than an attack on American soil. They have nothing to lose at this point by holding off either; quite rightly, we’re going to bomb them whether they do it or not. They have the motive and they most certainly have the means, flush with cash to pay traffickers handsomely for smuggling them across and well supplied with men who can melt into the U.S. population more easily than the average ISIS neckbeard. If you want to knock Perry for something, knock him for understating the threat: Why would ISIS send a jihadi to cross the border, where he might be caught, when they could put one with a British passport on a plane and have him waltz into the United States instead?

Two clips here, the second of which has Perry conspicuously calling for all military options against ISIS — hint hint — to remain on the table. That’ll help polish his hawkish credentials for the 2016 primaries, but I’m not sure how it would play in a general election. Although who are we kidding? Obama will have long since put American boots on the ground in Iraq himself by then.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This from the guy who opposed and mocked a border fence.

Jon0815 on August 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I give it 6 months tops until he’s proven right.

gophergirl on August 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

The Democrats will go all-in to Palinize Perry before 2016. they have already started.

myiq2xu on August 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Nadal Hassan (he doesn’t deserve the rank of a US Army officer) was already in country.. There are others out there. ISIS is well funded, the can do an attack here.

rbj on August 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I’m not gonna lie. I live in DC and I’m scared.

Annie21LA on August 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Act of love.

Mark1971 on August 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM

The indicted Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border

Fixed it for the Lame stream media….

Back benchers as Mark Levin calls them…

Electrongod on August 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I anticipate a Beslan like event on a school. It’ll create maximum pain to us, but, public demand will then weaken administration resistance to the B-52 carpet bomb in response. This is going to escalate rapidly.

butch on August 21, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Headline in tomorrow’s paper: “Rick Perry compares Latino immigrants to ISIS.”

Yes, that line is a completely inaccurate load of crap but that’s never stopped the media before. If you’re a Republican you know they entire media-industrial complex is just waiting for any quote they can twist to fit their stereotypes in order to mischaracterize conservatives and Perry’s out making their job that much easier. He’s created attack ad fodder which will do him little good in the mean time; this is Politics 101 stuff and he’s flubbing it.

There’s a lot to like about Perry as a person, but as a candidate he looks like he’s still not ready for primetime.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Fixed it for the Lame stream media….

Electrongod on August 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM

LSM does that and our side needs to start referring to the impeached Bill Clinton and held in contempt of Congress Holder

de rigueur on August 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Not going to happen. The One always doubles down on his dogmas and is incapable of error. Just ask him, he’ll tell you.

Note how he tried to bury the failed Foley rescue. Unlike Jimmy Carter, he isn’t going to put up with a highly visible Desert One botch. That would call his “narrative” into question.

The electorate may have stopped believing in The Lightworker’s magic, but he still believes in it himself. Don’t expect him to change course, on anything.

clear ether

eon

eon on August 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I do blame Bush for not doing more to secure the border. He played his own amnesty game and dragged his feet on building a fence.

Of course, Obama has done the same plus pissed off a lot of Mexicans with the Fast & Furious mess.

I fear this won’t end well.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Obama can only hope

The Notorious G.O.P on August 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM

clear ether

eon

eon on August 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Actually, I believe just the opposite. I believe they leaked the failed rescue so that they could spin a “hey, it’s terrible what happened to Foley but we did try to rescue him” line.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Well, an ISIS “supporter” has already displayed a sign outside of the White House:

And an ISIS “supporter” marched in Ferguson with a sign:

There is no reason to think that ISIS operatives have not entered America, and no reason to think that they are not currently plotting / coordinating with the millions of mohammedans in the U.S. to launch some sort of terrorist attack.

It is a simple fact that the ‘death cult of islam’ wants to destroy America – Perry is wise to ring this bell.

Pork-Chop on August 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM

To do the jobs Americans wont!

Chuck Schick on August 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

We know Chavez was training Arabs to pass as Mexicans for the last 10 years.

IIRC, about 10% of all non-Mexicans detained at the border were from the Middle East.

Even the stats on the people coming across now show a significant number of Asians.

I give it 6 months tops until he’s proven right.

gophergirl on August 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I’m betting before Election day.

formwiz on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I fear this won’t end well.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Where is that fence going on the Rio Grande.

RickB on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Yes, the most important thing is to never say anything that your ideological enemies in the media can distort, which is probably anything not concerning how much you love kittens.

Best idea- say nothing! Smile and say we have nothing to fear from an Obama Hillary! Liz Warren presidency. Go into a presidential debate and say you agree with the incumbent!

That’s the ticket.

Great advice, alchemist.

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

This from the guy who opposed and mocked a border fence.

Jon0815 on August 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I mock a border fence when the border is a river. How exactly do you want that fence to work?

But I get your point, Perry has been sold by Haters as embracing illegal immigration. I understand facts are trumped by emotion and demagoguery, nonetheless, it seems stupid on your part to criticize anyone who comes to see the light.

I can’t understand those who find it more noble and honorable to irrationally stick to being wrong rather than having the character to willingly admit being wrong and change for the better.

I guess Haters got to hate.

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I could see a younger kid, happy to give his life, coming across the border, being given food and shelter but the people he plans to attack. He wouldn’t have to worry about having his passport matched to a reputation.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I’m not gonna lie. I live in DC and I’m scared.

Annie21LA on August 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

DC is a greater threat to liberty and freedom than ISIS.

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM

They could carry exact, armed replicas of Fat Man and Little Boy across that “border” in broad daylight and our illustrious authorities wouldn’t have a clue.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Where is that fence going on the Rio Grande.

RickB on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Get the fence built where there isn’t a river and you can put more Border Patrol manpower along the part where there is a river.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM

That’s the ticket.

Great advice, alchemist.

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Reread what I said again. It’s a given that the LSM is going to try to distort anything they can to make conservatives look bad. Given that – and it is a given – conservatives should endeavor to make their jobs as difficult as possible. Perry is making it easy with lines like this.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Perry-hatin’ nutballs are a special breed.

cozmo on August 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM

It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border

They probably just want free soccer balls and teddy bears. And a hug from Glenn, of course.

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I’m not gonna lie. I live in DC and I’m scared.

Annie21LA on August 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

DC is a greater threat to liberty and freedom than ISIS.

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM

We have our Winner…you can all enjoy some Deep Fried
Tequila Shots now….well, as soon as Newtie gets here…

ToddPA on August 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Gov. Perry is right, after all who is going to stop them? The entire world knows our border is wide open.

If Gov. Perry chooses to run, he will have more opposition from the Karl Roves/Romney/Jeb Bush and the other Establishment R’s than the MSM/Dems imo.

Speaking of Romney, he’s joined Ryan to tour on the latter’s Pro Amnesty book.

Oh, my Fav mugshot of the Guv:-)

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Around the time of the “workplace violence” attacks on Fort Hood, I vaguely recall that political correctness led to the removal of any references to Islamic terrorism in Homeland Security training materials. Does anyone know if that is the case?

If so, has there been any indication from the federal government or the Department of Homeland Security that they now recognize Islamic terrorists as a significant threat? (and might possibly include this in their training, and try to defend the US against jihadists)

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 9:18 PM

One thing I’ll say is that it seems that a “leader” is finally “emerging” on the Republican side. No, he’s not my first choice but I’ll take him.

Marcus on August 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I heard last night that my aunt and uncle called the sheriff on a couple of Ukrainians that came up to the ranch house in West Texas. They seemed non-violent, but we were all shocked to hear that someone not from Mexico approached, wanting to phone their contacts in the US.

The signs along the Texas border that tell the illegals how to get help are now in Chinese as well as Spanish. People from every nation on earth are coming across now in large numbers.

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Why would ISIS want to attack the U.S. directly and make Hussein Obama look bad? For all we know, our government is still running guns to them, though perhaps no longer though Ben Ghazi’s Bargain Bunker Arms Emporium.

ROCnPhilly on August 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM

No shit Perry. I’m locked, loaded, and ready to spin any turban coming down my driveway.

I just hope enough of the rest of the country is too, because being the sunni that he is, obama won’t do a damned thing to stop it. It’s up to us.

But for God’s sake people, don’t call 9-11 when it happens. Just kill them and ditch the bodies, or burn them in a pyre. Don’t look for recognition, just do it to get it done and that’s it.

Diluculo on August 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM

To hell with that. When he’s right, he’s right. No GOP candidate is going to get anywhere by crafting every phrase to please the NYT and WaPo, either. And I say this as a commenter who’s been accused from time to time of being “soft on immigration” myself.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

The democrat party owns the future for what crawled across our border while they looked the other way.

trs on August 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I’m not gonna lie. I live in DC and I’m scared.

Annie21LA on August 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

DC is a greater threat to liberty and freedom than ISIS.

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I, too, would be very concerned if I lived in DC, NYC, Boston or Chicago. They may strike elsewhere, but if they are going to do something like a dirty bomb, or a mall attack, that is likely where they will go.

DC is a threat to our way of life, but I think the threat of jihadists to our life and limb has increased exponentially during Obama’s tenure.

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM

You mean surrender? Truth doesn’t need defending, just spoken.

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I burned KKKarl Rove in effigy 4 months ago. He does not exist to me.

Diluculo on August 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM

You can pretty much say you are anybody coming in. And since we have no longer have a southern border (except on maps) there’s not much of a problem just waltzing in. Why bother dealing with with airline terror watch lists and such?

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Remember when the MSM & Obamie viciously mocked Sarah Palin for saying Russia/Putin would be the next international challenge?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Tard on August 21, 2014 at 9:27 PM

On my top 10 list of type of politician I despise are politicians who use fear mongering to further their political careers.

Hey perry to go with your new glasses may I advise you get some hearing aid. If IS members come to America they are flying 1st class. With their nice European passports.

I am sure his fear mongering is going to down smoothly with all the wusses who can’t wait to believe the worst about everything they are being told as long as it involves the Mexican border. Nothing bad ever comes through the Canadian border. Lol

coolrepublica on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Have you seen the gunboats that Texas has put into the Rio Grande?

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

This from the guy who opposed and mocked a border fence.

Jon0815 on August 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM

If you spent any time riding along, and dodging floods on the Rio Grande, you’d see how silly it is to try to build a fence along the entire river. I used to mock Gingrich and Romney for PROMISING in the 2012 primary that they would have a complete fence built right after they got elected. They were lying. Fencing is appropriate in most areas, but not all, and they’re easily breached. They still have to be patrolled 24-7.

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

The USA should use the Mexican model for border security. They seem to handle their borders very well. Look what they do to people when they cross illegally, and they don’t seem to care about world opinion.

garydt on August 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

coolrepublica on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

You would’ve hated Churchill in the 1930s as well. But he was still right in his “fear-mongering”, wasn’t he?

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I’m sure Perry is gonna’ take the advice of an ignorant idiot like CR.

cozmo on August 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I burned KKKarl Rove in effigy 4 months ago. He does not exist to me.

Diluculo on August 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I bet you regret not having done it a few years ago:-) Better late than never for backstabbers.

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I agree. Not that the TSA or the NSA could catch a cold but why take the chance?

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Still need materiel, and the stuff that goes “boom” or radiates won’t make it on board aircraft.

Reuben Hick on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I fear this won’t end well.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Bush is to blame. He lobbed Obama a softball to open the border and facilitate an invasion. The US is being conquered and nothing can be done to stop it. A GOP congress won’t do it, and if the GOP miraculously wins 2016, he/she won’t be able to secure it either.

El_Terrible on August 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I’ve always said the best time for a major attack with big weapons would be at 8 pm on the third Monday in January in Washington DC. During the State of the Union address. that would essentially cripple the country for a while.

deimos on August 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM

This soundbite will inspire lots of scoffing and sneering

This from the guy who opposed and mocked a border fence.

Jon0815 on August 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Indeed. Okay, so, Perry is making an argument that ISIS has infiltrated the USA via the unsecured southern border.

And?

Is this the first Perry has held of people — terrorists, even — infiltrating the USA via the unsecured southern border? Why didn’t Perry care more about this in 2012? In 2010? Because there was no ISIS back then?

No — because Perry’s Team 2016 handlers are telling him to care about it now.

Put Perry in a debate and ask him (again) about illegal aliens getting in-state tuition (and a host of other entitlements) — that’s the real Perry, and that’s the man who cares so much about the southern border.

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM

coolrepublica on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

By the way, I’ll bet you don’t have any problem at all with fearmongering for political benefit as long as the fearmongers harp on, say, the Koch Brothers or Rupert Murdoch or insurance companies or them thar Nazi Tea Partiers, now do you? The whole f*ing Dem party is built on fearmongering and antagonism.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Too many forget just how evil those like Thomas Jefferson – correctly so – found the muzztards.

“Leaders” make mistakes, try to correct them. Cheap, decadent opportunists do not, and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. Today’s secular nazis forget that greater underlying principles are the only things we have to hang hang our hat on in the storm of said petty secularism – even to where we make mistakes. Those who “make no mistakes” are those so unprincipled as to change the rules, move the goalposts, at every opportunity – and get the infantile media babies to support them at every turn.

RL on August 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

garydt on August 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Mexico is helping illegal aliens. Their laws are “draconian” but they’re actually helping illegal aliens cross their country so they can reach the US.

El_Terrible on August 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

You mean surrender? Truth doesn’t need defending, just spoken.

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Truth? He’s speculating about hypotheticals with no evidence to support it beyond personal supposition, all the while handing the media a club to beat conservatives over the head with. That’s stupid on his part. Can you really not understand that?

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

yeah you tell em!! no chance ISIL/ISIS would try to cross that border. 0bama’s mouthpiece has stated they are not at war w/ us and don’t want to harm us. who can doubt him??

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

And the state of the southern border. It’s a pretty likely hypothetical.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

LOL

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

^ And as the governor of Texas he’s probably in a pretty good position to know.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I supported Perry in 2012, and accepted his support for the Dream Act, with the thought being that kids shouldn’t be punished for what their parents did.

However, our sympathy for the kids is clearly being exploited, so I’d say its time to phase it out. We accepted that some kids had no choice, but its become a huge incentive and loophole in our system.

El_Terrible on August 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I understand there are “hundreds” of Americans who have joined ISIS. All ISIS need do is send them ‘home’ to commit any act of terrorism ISIS might choose.

Meanwhile, here at home, our President is set to use that ‘pen and a phone’ to grant another 800,000 work visas for the first year, more to follow, for foreign labor as a pay off to big business in exchange for their support for his using that ‘pen and a phone’ again to grant amnesty to millions of illegal aliens and grant them work permits, too.

thatsafactjack on August 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Yes and while the TSA has more than it’s share of crooks, it’s much easier to deal with the assorted Central American-Mexican cartels that will do anything for the right money.

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Not!

Walter L. Newton on August 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Depends on whether or not he’s implying it’s within the realm of theoretical possibilities, or that it’s already happened. If we’re talking about what’s theoretical then it’s entirely possible that Hamas already came here on a boat from Cuba. But if he means to warn it’s realistic to believe ISIS is already here thanks to our too-pourous Southern border then Is there specific evidence to indicate that it happened or is about to happen, or is he just bending over and talking out his backside?

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Yeah….same exact issue.

Enforcing out of state tuition would really toughen up border security.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I haven’t listened to the clip yet, honestly, but reading the story here he’s saying that it’s likely to have happened. It wouldn’t entirely beyond the realm of possibility, you know.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM

It’s probably as much trouble to find a TSA crook as it is one that is competent. At least you know where you stand with the cartel.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

And the state of the southern border. It’s a pretty likely hypothetical.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

That’s an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It’s certainly not beyond the realm of theoretical possibilities ISIS has crossed the southern (or northern) border already but if you or Perry or anyone else is going to say it’s likely that it has either already happened or will likely happen sometime soon then I’m going to need to see some evidence of that.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I’ve seen people in full on burkas with just the eyes showing, here at the Irvine Spectrum. It gives my girlfriend and and I the creeps.

newportmike on August 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Didn’t the guys from 9/11 wander around here on expired VISAs?

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Which is riskier?

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

“Extraordinary”? Are you aware of what’s been going on down there?

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Yeah….same exact issue.

Enforcing out of state tuition would really toughen up border security.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Congratulations — that’s not what I said.

But hey, if you want to pretend that Perry is SUPER SERIAL U GUISE about an unsecured border, why didn’t he care pre-ISIS?

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

coolrepublica on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

“Gonna put y’all back in chains” ring any bells?

formwiz on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

British Woman Vows To Become First Female To Behead A Western Prisoner In Syria

And urges other British women to follow her to Syria and join ISIS, too.

thatsafactjack on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I don’t know why this would be understating the threat, the public is aware with the clusterfark going down at the border – they could easily believe someone could walk across with zero trouble.

You talk about people flying in here… I have a suspicion this would be used by the TSA to charge more fees and require even more ridiculous and useless procedures.

Ukiah on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Exactly.

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

More British Muslims Fight In Syria Than In UK Armed Forces

Reports say there are “hundreds” of American Muslims fighting in Syria, too.

thatsafactjack on August 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Shall we discuss that Urdu-to-English dictionary a south Texas rancher found in the brush?

Cuz its just silly of Perry or anyone to think a wide open southern border (and babies, it is so freaking open your head would spin- we are under siege down here)would be a way to sneak in a bunch of young dark-complected black haired men who smile and don’t speak english. Not to mention some trucks with a bit of contraband aboard.

Silly. You bet. Good to know.

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Maybe Rick Perry can cut a “BUILD THE DAMN FENCE” ad with Senator Juan McCain (D-MEXICO) for the 2016 primary.

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Diluculo on August 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

In other words, apply the 3-S rule.

8 weight on August 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I give it 6 months tops until he’s proven right.

gophergirl on August 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Yet another reason to avoid the local hellhole known as Mall of America…

Bruno Strozek on August 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM

American Muslims Fighting With ISIS “Jihad Cool”

This article details 15 Somalis from Minnesota who have traveled to Syria and are under investigation by the FBI, suspected of joining ISIS.

thatsafactjack on August 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

There’s a chance they have, but then again there’s a chance they crossed the northern border – which, if they were going to cross one is the one I would choose if I were them since it’s so much more lightly protected compared to the southern border – there’s a chance they snuck in on a boat along the coast somewhere and there’s a chance they’ve recruited American citizens who don’t need to worry about sneaking into the country. It’s all a matter of how realistic those chances are. Like I said, if Perry’s got some evidence this has happened or is imminent threat then let’s see that evidence, and if not then he’s only giving the media fodder.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

This is what I’m sayin’ :D

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM

In the 2012 primary, it was Gingrich and Romney lying about building the fence. Perry didn’t make that false promise.

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Why do they have to be patrolled? Dig a deep concrete footing and put razor wire on top.

8 weight on August 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

The problem with that is neither of them were border Guvs. Perry was, and is, though he didn’t get “tough on the border” until just the last few months.

whatcat on August 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

“Extraordinary”? Are you aware of what’s been going on down there?

ddrintn on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Yes. Having a border that’s not completely locked down does not mean it’s likely ISIS has crossed it though. Where’s the evidence?

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I understand what your concern is, but disagree with your reason for Gov. Perry to not speak out. I’m sure you would or should agree this is a very real possibility.

Don’t worry about the Media, they will be too busy with other matters. Be concerned about the GOPe, you know those Enablers like Boehner/McConnell et al:-)

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

In state tuition is not indicative of how much someone cares about border security and what may or may not be passing through.

The ISIS reference is because it’s topical.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

There are unaccompanied toddlers coming accross the border and you think it is an extraordinary claim that well funded terrorists with the stated intention of killing all Americans and destroying the United States have taken advantage of our non-existent Southern border?

There was a story about a month ago, on Blaze and Drudge, about islamic materials that were found by a rancher along the border. I don’t know exactly what you want as evidence.

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM

thatsafactjack on August 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Geez, what an aspiration!

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Jedditelol on August 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM

You DO know that Perry signed the in-state tuition bill that was PASSED by the Texas Legislature and approved of by a majority of Texas voters? Twice?

You know this, correct? Because you sure sound like you think Gov. Perry did this on his own, and that somehow it means he’s for amnesty or against securing the border.

Its clear you’re not a Texan, because you would be aware that this is not a new issue for our State or our Governor. We spend millions of our own tax dollars on the border and we have to fight with the Feds constantly over it.

You know that border fence you love? A big chunk of it was built along the river near Brownsville- only we had to leave big gaps in it by order of the Army Corps of Engineers. That’s the Federal contribution to our border security.

Or lets talk about that famous “Perry mocks border fence” video/Hannity interview, where he mocks, not the fence but the I’ll build an even bigger, manlier fence! rhetoric of the other candidates.

Fences are good, in places, and armed men are good everywhere. I believe the Governor gets it.

You, not so much.

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I’m betting before Election day.

formwiz on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

At least sometime before Ozero has to leave office. “Don’t let a crisis go to waste.”

IrishEyes on August 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I don’t dispute it’s within the realm of realistic possibilities; what I question in the absence of evidence is the likelihood. With nothing to back up his claims it looks like Perry is fearmongering – “Undocumented Mexicans coming to this country doesn’t scare you? Well what about undocumented Mexicans AND TERRORISTS!” – while making statements that the media can easily cast in a very negative light.

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

These days I do most of my panicking about the thought of President Warren. :-)

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Having a border that’s not completely locked down

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Seriously, do you have ANY IDEA how easy it is to cross our border? Not completely locked down would be a freaking dream of security.

A key component of our “border security” is for the BP to drag a harrow along the dirt roads that parallel the fences near the border, and check them for footprints periodically.

We worked oil rig gates near the border, and we had so many illegals walking through I had to leave gallon jugs of water outside near the gate so the illegals wouldn’t try to come in begging for it.

A friend owns a ranch about 80 miles from the border, and he gets what he calls 20 or more “bail-outs” a week, where the illegals are dropped off by the coyotes and come climbing over his fences.

When he knows they’re around he calls, the BP comes, and they catch maybe a quarter of them, and I’m pretty sure they turn most of them loose. He’s found 4 corpses on his land so far in 2014.

Its a 2000 mile border, and the part in Texas goes through some of the most hellish brush country you can imagine. Its not only not “locked down”, but we’ve taken the doors off the hinges.

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM

For fiscal year 2013, 62,998 unaccompanied minors (0-17 were apprehended illegally crossing the US/Mexico border.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Do you believe Islamic terrorists wish to attack the US?

Do you think they would try to get into the US to do so?

Do you think that they are aware of the ease of crossing the US/Mexico border, especially given the amount of on-line coverage this issue has gotten?

Do you think Islamic terrorists are too stupid to take advantage of the weak border?

Afraid?

Underfinanced?

I can’t think of a single reason to assume that ISIS has not already crossed into the US via our Southern border. Why wouldn’t they? If 62,998 people under 18 did it this year alone and were apprehended (with the dreadful punishment of food, shelter, medical care and transportation to a city of their choice)-on this side of the border-how many thousands of determined terrorists could easily have crossed? Why wouldn’t they?

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM