Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border

posted at 8:41 pm on August 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Signal. Easy prediction: This soundbite will inspire lots of scoffing and sneering without even a bare attempt at an argument on the merits for why he must be wrong.

“There’s the obvious great concern that because of the condition of the border from the standpoint of it not being secure and us not knowing who is penetrating across, that individuals from ISIS or other terrorist states could be [crossing the border] — and I think there is a very real possibility that they may have already used that,” he said…

He’s fearmongering! ISIS poses no direct threat to the U.S. (yet)! Is that right? Here’s Mike Morell, former deputy director of the CIA:

After explaining what he thought needed to be done to defeat the terrorists (more targeted strikes and better intelligence), he said that “if an ISIS member showed up in a mall in the United States tomorrow with an AK-47 and killed a number of Americans I would not be surprised.”

“Over the long-term, I worry that this group could present a 9/11-style threat,” he added, noting the group presents both a short-term and long-term threat.

ISIS has every incentive to do it, too. Nothing would lift their prestige in the jihadiverse more than an attack on American soil. They have nothing to lose at this point by holding off either; quite rightly, we’re going to bomb them whether they do it or not. They have the motive and they most certainly have the means, flush with cash to pay traffickers handsomely for smuggling them across and well supplied with men who can melt into the U.S. population more easily than the average ISIS neckbeard. If you want to knock Perry for something, knock him for understating the threat: Why would ISIS send a jihadi to cross the border, where he might be caught, when they could put one with a British passport on a plane and have him waltz into the United States instead?

Two clips here, the second of which has Perry conspicuously calling for all military options against ISIS — hint hint — to remain on the table. That’ll help polish his hawkish credentials for the 2016 primaries, but I’m not sure how it would play in a general election. Although who are we kidding? Obama will have long since put American boots on the ground in Iraq himself by then.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There are unaccompanied toddlers coming accross the border and you think it is an extraordinary claim that well funded terrorists with the stated intention of killing all Americans and destroying the United States have taken advantage of our non-existent Southern border?

There was a story about a month ago, on Blaze and Drudge, about islamic materials that were found by a rancher along the border. I don’t know exactly what you want as evidence.

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM

As I said before, it seems to me to be an odd choice to cross the southern border if a terrorist wanted to enter this country illegally. We have two borders and we don’t police them equally; we’ve got one agent in the south for every thousand feet of border, and one in the north for every 15 miles of border. If you can afford passage from the Middle East to North America it seems wiser to me to go through Canada than through Mexico. Do you disagree?

I assume the “islamic materials’ you’re speaking of is the Urdu-English phrasebook that some rancher claims he found on his property. The book always seemed a bit strange to me because it looks like it was written for English speakers; I’ve seen a photo of the inside cover and what’s there is written in English. If someone had purchased the book in Pakistan and carried it all the way from there to Texas I would expect it to be written in Urdu. The book is also in remarkably good condition for something that someone carried from Pakistan to Mexico, then across the desert where it was dropped and subjected to the elements for as long as it took the rancher to find it. Now far be it from me to suggest this rancher bought the book himself and then “found” it on his property as a means to advance whatever political agenda he might have so I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to the veracity of the claim.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I’m betting before Election day.

formwiz on August 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

At least sometime before Ozero has to leave office. “Don’t let a crisis go to waste.”

IrishEyes on August 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM

The anniversary of 9/11 is coming up fast. Might be a good day to avoid malls, major cities or other potential terrorist targets.

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

These days I do most of my panicking about the thought of President Warren. :-)

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Warren? Ha-Ha I doubt that will happen since she’s about unqualified as some others.

Remember that Gov. Perry used the words “could be” and ““We have no clear evidence of that but your common sense tells you when we’ve seen the number of criminal activities that have occurred — and I’m talking about the assaults, the rapes, the murders — by individuals who have come into this country illegally over the last five years, the idea that they would not be looking at [the border] … is not a good place to be,” he said.

Imo, since we know what this group is and what they are doing in the world, we should not think that everyone except them would try to and we should be on guard.

Also I would think anyone, including Gov. Perry if having evidence would not put that info out in the public. They would report to the proper authorities.

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I agree. Not that the TSA or the NSA could catch a cold but why take the chance?

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

LOL

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

The NSA and the CIA are all busied up digging dirt on any possible 2016 Republican nominee.

slickwillie2001 on August 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Truth? He’s speculating about hypotheticals with no evidence to support it beyond personal supposition…
alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I’m not understanding what you’re asking to be done here. When anyone plans for preventative measures they normally don’t seek out evidence before the fact.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I am sure his fear mongering is going to down smoothly with all the wusses who can’t wait to believe the worst about everything they are being told as long as it involves the Mexican border. Nothing bad ever comes through the Canadian border. Lol

coolrepublica on August 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM

You are obviously completely ignorant of the situation. My neighbors were tied up and robbed by illegals north of the TX/Mexico border. Millions of dollars of drugs have been smuggled across our ranch. We don’t leave the house without guns now. My friend whose family has a ranch near Laredo has professional, as in Blackwater-type, security now. No kids leave the house without security along–I’m talking automatic weapons. When I used to visit her in the 70s and 80s we would run all over the place freely, only watching out for rattlers and the one alligator in the big tank.

It’s a totally different ballgame now. I posted up thread about my aunt and uncle having some Ukrainians on our property arrested.

When I was a kid, illegal Mexican men regularly came to our ranch looking for work, or for food and water. They committed no crimes, other than being here illegally. Sometimes they would break into buildings, but they would only take food. Now everything has changed.

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

For fiscal year 2013, 62,998 unaccompanied minors (0-17 were apprehended illegally crossing the US/Mexico border.

What does that have to do with ISIS?

Do you believe Islamic terrorists wish to attack the US?

Do you think they would try to get into the US to do so?

Probably.

Do you think that they are aware of the ease of crossing the US/Mexico border, especially given the amount of on-line coverage this issue has gotten?

Do you think they’re aware of the ease of crossing the US/Canada border? We’ve got 9000 agents on the Mexican border and fewer than 500 on the Canadian. Do you think they just miss that?

Do you think Islamic terrorists are too stupid to take advantage of the weak border?

Do you?

Afraid?

Underfinanced?

They’re neither.

I can’t think of a single reason to assume that ISIS has not already crossed into the US via our Southern border.

How about the fact there’s no evidence that they have?

Why wouldn’t they? If 62,998 people under 18 did it this year alone and were apprehended (with the dreadful punishment of food, shelter, medical care and transportation to a city of their choice)-on this side of the border-how many thousands of determined terrorists could easily have crossed? Why wouldn’t they?

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Because the northern border is way easier to cross, unless of course the have a British passport and can just fly directly here.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Seriously, do you have ANY IDEA how easy it is to cross our border? Not completely locked down would be a freaking dream of security.

It’s pretty easy, and some borders are easier than others. As far as American borders go the southern one is actually more difficult.

A key component of our “border security” is for the BP to drag a harrow along the dirt roads that parallel the fences near the border, and check them for footprints periodically.

So?

We worked oil rig gates near the border, and we had so many illegals walking through I had to leave gallon jugs of water outside near the gate so the illegals wouldn’t try to come in begging for it.

And the northern border is defended even more lightly.

A friend owns a ranch about 80 miles from the border, and he gets what he calls 20 or more “bail-outs” a week, where the illegals are dropped off by the coyotes and come climbing over his fences.

I didn’t say the southern border wasn’t very crossable; it’s the unsupported assertion that ISIS is doing it that I took exception to.

When he knows they’re around he calls, the BP comes, and they catch maybe a quarter of them, and I’m pretty sure they turn most of them loose. He’s found 4 corpses on his land so far in 2014.

None of which is relevant.

Its a 2000 mile border, and the part in Texas goes through some of the most hellish brush country you can imagine. Its not only not “locked down”, but we’ve taken the doors off the hinges.

Dolce Far Niente on August 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM

And we know ISIS has crossed it how?

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Wholeheartedly disagree. You are far more likely to remain undetected of your intentions and/or undetected of your presence altogether entering from the south. Detection of either seems to decrease the likelihood of mission success. Do you really disagree with that proposition?

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I’m asking for either evidence to support Perry’s supposition that ISIS may have crossed the southern border, or for Perry to stop saying stupid stuff that’s readymade for the media to beat up conservatives with.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM

talkingpoints on August 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I always get a little nervous on that day, though not for myself. So far, the tangos only seem to be interested in attacking the odd military complex plus northeastern landmarks, maybe California–the places that mass media care about. The media complex don’t care about flyover country where I live.

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Um, yes. There are 9000 agents on our 2000 mile long Mexican border and about 500 agents on our 5000+ mile Canadian border. There have been news stories about unmanned border crossing stations along the north where you stop on the honor system and declare your entry. So if your goal is to evade detection you tell me which option you’re going to take.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM

They are actually apprehending people from all over the world on our southern border. This claim isn’t based on one book that someone found.

I see part of your point though. A female CBP agent on our northern border thwarted an actual AQ plot that was to take place in Los Angeles. I think a couple of the 9-11 attackers came across the Canadian border at one point too.

But how are we to know that these old patterns will continue? everything has changed, in just a few years. I can’t tell you how I was gobsmacked hearing about those weird Ukrainians showing up at our house the other day. It’s bizarre and unsettling. My mom has always been very complacent about this stuff (as a girl, I used to get her shotgun and stand behind the door when she was giving them food, but she didn’t want me to do that), and after decades of dealing with illegal Mexicans, she is finally telling us not to go away from the house without guns, because the new situation is so strange and frightening.

juliesa on August 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Being unqualified didn’t stop Odumbo from being elected.

And I’m absolutely in favor of better border security for those reasons. We’ve seen violent Latin American drug gangs get into this country as well. Where Perry starts to lose me is when he throws Middle Eastern terrorists into the mix in the absence of evidence.

Of course we should stay vigilant.

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

But that’s the thing. In bringing up the possibility of ISIS crossing the border Perry has set himself to be asked about evidence to substantiate what he said. If the evidence exists, he knows about it but can’t say it – something that, like ISIS having already crossed the border, is entirely possible – then he shouldn’t have gone there in the first place because it raises questions. If there is no evidence to suggest ISIS is already here then his statement was baseless and he’s going to be pilloried for comparing illegals to terrorists. The point is Perry doesn’t gain anything by saying what he said, which is the reason I said Perry isn’t ready from primetime. I like the guy, but liking most of his positions isn’t the same thing as thinking he’s a good campaigner.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM

hmmm, looks like AP pegged alchemist19 when he was writing the post…

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I’m going to exploit the chaotic situation where it’s also easier to blend in.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

hmmm so you’re saying the border is secure??

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 11:00 PM

hmmm, looks like AP pegged alchemist19 when he was writing the post…
chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM

And when, not if, it’s proven that some came across, alchemist19 will no longer post here. Count it….

AH_C on August 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM

“It’s entirely possible…”–Rick Perry

So you’re asking for evidence although that’s not really a proper question since he did not claim “there has undoubtedly been…”. The question should really be, “what reason do you have to believe this could happen?”. The readily easy answer would be to describe the chaotic situation going on down here.

In other words, he posed a highly plausible scenario and your asking for evidence that it happened or face the wrath of the media. Respectfully, that’s kind of goofy.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM

hmmm, looks like AP pegged alchemist19 when he was writing the post…

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I didn’t say he must be wrong, I said I hadn’t seen any evidence he was right and as Perry is the one making the claim/engaging in the supposition the onus is on him to offer up the evidence in support of it if we are to take him seriously. That’s arguing on the merits, dear.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM

hmmm so you’re saying the border is secure??

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I have said several times that it is not. But having an insecure border does not mean that ISIS has already crossed same.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM

AH_C on August 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Should it be proven then I’ll take Perry more seriously.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:07 PM

The only reason al qaeda or isis wouldn’t be flooding in across the southern border right now is if they are for some reason choosing not to.

Buddahpundit on August 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM

nope, your post did everything you could to show how ISIS/ISIL couldn’t get across and now your backtracking. as for perry needing evidence, why? as others have posted he never said it has happened only that its possible. I bet if he cared to, he could show plenty of evidence that it is in fact possible.

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM

“It’s entirely possible…”–Rick Perry

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Which gets to my point in my very first post about Perry not being ready for primetime. I’ve said from the beginning that it is within the realm of possibilities that ISIS has indeed already crossed the southern border. It’s also entirely possible that Hamas has come here on a boat from Cuba. It’s entirely possible that Odumbo and BiteMe will wake up tomorrow, realize they’re both destroying the country and resign from office immediately and give us President Boehner. The question is how realistic are those entirely possible events.

Perry’s statement is going to catch the attention of the LSM; the media is out to destroy conservatives and will pass up no opportunity to do so. So they’re going to push him on this, asking him to defend his statement. They know well from 2008 and 2012 how effective race-baiting is (the Democrat Party has been race-baiting for over 60 years and they’re very very good at it) so they’re all chomping at the bit to make Perry look anti-Hispanic. Now Perry himself has given them the ammunition they crave to do that because they can twist this into Perry comparing illegals to ISIS. Of course the comparison is BS, but being BS never stops the media. Our job as conservatives is to make the media’s job of character assassination as difficult as possible. Perry saying what he said makes their job easy.

That’s why Perry’s not ready for primetime.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM

You are wrong about the scoffing and sneering, AP. They will not even talk about it because they can’t afford to scoff and sneer at it. They don’t want to and can’t explain why it’s not right and when we suffer another 9/11, they would lose all the credibility they think they have.

Buddahpundit on August 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Should it be proven then I’ll take Perry more seriously.
alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Again, you asking for evidence that something has already happened to a claim which was made about the plausibility of something being possible is a complete misunderstanding of what was said.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM

chasdal on August 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Quote me where I said that.

I said the northern border is easier to cross but the northern border being easier to cross does not mean they couldn’t get across the southern border.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM

You’re now also confusing possibility and plausibility. If you want to argue the plausibility of the above vs the plausibility of Perry’s scenario reason will undoubtedly side with Perry’s claim.

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM

anuts on August 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Perry’s scenario is more plausible than Jug Ears resigning, but both are entirely possible. Perry never said anything about plausibility, and that’s part of why he’s going to get into trouble over this. If he says plausibility of ISIS crossing the southern border is low then he’s scaremongering; if he tries to cast it as highly plausible he’s going to be asked for supporting evidence, and he had best be ready to deliver.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Do you think they’re aware of the ease of crossing the US/Canada border?

I don’t know, are the Chinese, Africans, Russians, Middle Easterners, etc, who pay people to take them across the SOUTHERN border aware of it? And they use that route because it is easier to cross the southern border for many reasons(near lawlessness in that part of Mexico for example), but especially now when most are being distracted by the poor children.

Now for a reality check…if terrorists….ISIS or anyone else…haven’t taken advantage of the current situation and crossed the southern border, then we have been lied to about the war on terror and the entire terrorist threat is a made up concern.

xblade on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Alchemist,

The Canadian border is nowhere near as insecure as you claim. CBSA agents are at every international airport and seaport in the country. Yes, the American/Canadian border has a very low number of agents. However, it is also patrolled by technology. We actually have motion sensors along large stretches of the border, even when there is no crossing for miles, and agents relatively close. Y’all might actually want to consider this on the southern border. For example, my mother was on a guided horseback ride in eastern BC, where the only Port of Entry is only open between the hours of 8-6, they went near the border, and within minutes a CBSA agent was at the location. We stop thousands of shipments of drugs and weapons every single day. Even if it was an easy go of it crossing from Canada into the USA, in terms of enforcement (Which it isn’t, at least on our side, as part of our war on drugs), parts of our shared border are some of the toughest terrain on earth. Anyone who tries to go in eastern BC is contending with huge mountains, which is also the case just east of the Abbotsford/Sumas border crossing. West of that is no bueno, as there is constant patrol. BC interior is mountainous and almost as dry as Texas in the summers, and gets to -30 in the winters. Manitoba/Alberta are the only provinces with any hope of getting across easily, but then they have to be here already.

starsfaninvan on August 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM

You’re missing a key difference. There is already a massive human smuggling operation for individuals at the southern border so if you’re a Russian or Chinese national who wants to enter the US and have no idea how to do it then the southern border does have the “benefit” of having people you can hire to sneak you across in order to give you a better chance than you would have on your own. If you’re talking about ISIS or al-Qaeda or some other large, well-financed terrorist organization then you’re less dependent on an existing human trafficking network to get you into the country. In fact, if you’re coming to America to commit acts of terror you probably want as few people as possible to know you’re there, so it would be in your interest to stay as far away from the known trafficking lanes as possible; like, say, on the opposite side of the country.

xblade on August 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM

If – IF – the threat of terrorists crossing the southern border has been overblown then it doesn’t mean the entire threat of terror in general is made up, it would just mean the threat of terrorists crossing the southern border is overblown.

alchemist19 on August 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM

starsfaninvan on August 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM

They have motion sensors and surveillance drones along the southern border as well. Of course we have surveillance in place along both borders but as far as manpower goes we’re a lot stronger along the southern border than the northern one. “Easier” is a relative term. :-)

alchemist19 on August 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM

starsfaninvan on August 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM

James O’ Keefe illustrated, without prejudice, how insecure our southern border is. What isn’t shown in his video is that he crossed back and forth between Mexico and the U.S. at least 5 times. His video literally showed a section of the Rio Grande border that can easily be crossed by anyone in the world.

UnstChem on August 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Canada is not Mexico. They take their national security somewhat seriously, although they are not immune from the socialist and bureaucratic stupidity you see everywhere. There are many from Pak-India, but that is a result of the British Empire. Try getting into Canada from a legitimate port of entry if you don’t have a good reason. Bribery does not always works. Not Mexico.

Oh, and as for sneaking in, they have millions of kilometers of unsecured border up north. It’s all frozen in July, but still…

bbhack on August 22, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Here’s my sneer. Read Michele Malkin’s article on the full citizen jihadi who murdered four strangers in his attempt to make American feel a death toll for invading muslim areas. Read about Lackawanna.

I’m sorry, we don’t need to be afraid of jihadis crossing the southern border. There are plenty born here who are citizens of the United States.

unclesmrgol on August 22, 2014 at 1:55 AM

unclesmrgol on August 22, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Bee on August 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM

I’m not gonna lie. I live in DC and I’m scared.
Annie21LA on August 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Get out! The total destruction of DC is inevitable, probably by an islam delivered WMD, but even if not, historical forces doom it (and basically all major cities).

ConstantineXI on August 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM

the glasses may make him look smarter but the words coming out of his mouth are as dumber as ever..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM

It’s fun listening to the trolls, with their heads stuck in the sand, trying to wish away the trouble their precious savior is bringing right to our doorstep.

They’ll be the ones crying in a fetal position when the sh-t hits the fan, waiting desperately for help that won’t get there in time.

They’re liberals. They don’t know how to help themselves.

CurtZHP on August 22, 2014 at 7:20 AM

When Perry says the border is not secure, he’s not limiting it to people wading across the Rio Grande into South Texas. He’s not even limiting it to Canada. He’s talking about our airports, people using faked passports and visas, people overstaying legitimate visas.

Esaus Message on August 22, 2014 at 7:44 AM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Just for the fun of it: Why not both? You act as if one is used, the other can’t be as well. This is not a zero-sum game.

Hello?

Since I live in Texas, I’m more consumed with what I may find in MY back yard/alley.

avagreen on August 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM

What’s YOUR excuse with or without glasses?

Of the two……..I’d pick him………..judging from your words.

avagreen on August 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM

There always seems to be at least one, doesn’t there?

Cleombrotus on August 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM

When DC and New York vanish in nuclear destruction delivered across our open borders by islam, open border advocates will be lucky to escape with their lives.

This outcome is inevitable (because islam is determined to do it, and Obama and other “leaders” are determined to do NOTHING about it), which is why I believe the word “Obama” will end up as reviled as “Hitler”.

ConstantineXI on August 22, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Mug

Bmore on August 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Not nearly as “dumb” or revealing as your blatant ignorance and irrational hate.

rplat on August 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Bmore on August 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM

You mean man.

That could go viral.

cozmo on August 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

You keep harping on this north/south border thing, and the British ISIS member just coming in legally with a passport.

Would it be easier/safer for someone to come in legally with British passport? Possibly, but if someone does do this, there would be a record of him coming into the country. I think coming across the border may be more appealing because of this fact. Anyone, even a known terrorist, could come across the border illegally, because there would be no record of their arrival.

And yes, the northern border is more lightly patrolled. But,the “Border Patrol” on the southern border, at this point, is really doing nothing to stop people coming in, and is really acting more as a welcome wagon. Also, a “person of color” crossing the northern border would certainly stand out more than one crossing on the southern border.

The point is (and what I think Perry was trying to say), is that we have a very porous border with Mexico right now, and we have thousands of people streaming in every day, and have no idea who they are or where they came from. We also have enemies that would very much like to get into our country and harm our citizens. I hardly think it’s fear mongering to suggest that the situation could lead to some less than positive outcomes. We can worry more about the border with Canada when we start seeing thousands of people streaming across that border….

billboy89 on August 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM

There is absolutely no way we have a Border Patrol agent stationed every 1000 feet through Arizona. Miles and miles of the border are unprotected. Illegals are so bold they’re even crossing through Fort Huachucha, an Army base in southern AZ. It’s well documented through the media and testimony to Congress that terrorists have entered our country through the southern border. If Hezbollah and other others have been caught, it’s naive to think ISIS wouldn’t take advantage of the open borders also.

According to Mr. Taylor, a Muslim cleric, Abdullah al-Nafsi, said that “there is no need for airplanes and planning; one man with the courage to carry a suitcase of anthrax through the tunnels from Mexico to the United States could kill 330,000 Americans in one hour.”

GrannySunni on August 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM

That could go viral.

cozmo on August 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Iowahawk had requested it. Took me too long to do. Working with a bum hand. Not my best stuff. Wish I could have done a bit more with it. ; )

Bmore on August 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM

As far as American borders go the southern one is actually more difficult.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

wow. Mister, you gotta whole lotta rough learning ahead of you.

squint on August 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM

bluefox on August 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Nice :)

Thanks.

WhirledPeas on August 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM

CNN Not Sure If We Should Call ISIS “Evil”…

‘Cuz, like, um, ya know, CNN reserves that label for the Tea Party, libertarians, and Republicans.

Resist We Much on August 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Well there’s a lotta good arguing going on here but the bottom like is that all kinds of miscreants can cross an unsecured border.

We have an unsecured border.

IS is 100% miscreants.

So…

Akzed on August 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Good reading this morning.
I’d be shocked if Perry’s “probably” is not turned into a definitely by the end of the year.
I’d think we’d all be a little nervous. They are screaming their threats and we are inviting them in.

ORconservative on August 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border.

Yes, entirely likely too.

petefrt on August 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM

ISIS

Open borders

It’s all one now, and obama owns both.

They are in the US and they will harm you. Wake up already.

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM

petefrt on August 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Did he miss the whitehouse ISIS selfies? (NY and San Fran too)

“Osama Bin Laden” crossed the border with no issues (James O’Keefe dressed up) so a few islamic crazies would also not have a problem.

The real question is; Where are they holed up and what are they planning?

dogsoldier on August 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM

The dems see this too and they MUST be freaking out. The dems will ALL OWN WHATEVER happens.

dogsoldier on August 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM

So, Perry and others “wouldn’t be surprised if ISIS has not already slipped across the border”. That’s one of those, “NO SHIT DICK TRACY!” moments. Why wouldn’t they walk across an open border? Along with millions of others? There’s probably thousands of ISIS terrorists here. Just one more reason to be armed and carrying where ever you go.

they lie on August 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

they lie on August 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

HA needs a “like” button. We use “No Shit Sherlock” up heah.

dogsoldier on August 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Taxpayers, work harder. You sustain these charlatans.

ISIS laugh their collective barbarian azzes off.

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Saw that earlier. It’s sheer madness.

dogsoldier on August 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM

alchemist19 on August 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM

You are completely missing the point about a lot of things (obviously don’t live in Texas), but let’s take a moment to address the ease of crossing the northern vs. southern borders. The borders themselves are not the issue as much as being able to gain access and to travel freely through the bordering nation. It is much more difficult to get into and travel through Canada than Mexico. Virtually anyone can waltz right into Mexico and travel at will. If you get caught once in the interior, you just bribe your way out of it.

Claiming the southern border is more secure than the northern one is absolutely laughable to the average Texan. We have basically 2 types of illegals: those who want to be caught and those who do not. The BP is completely tied up with the ones who want to be caught. The ones who do not want to be caught are streaming across by the thousands. It is both possible and plausible that terrorists are exploiting that weakness.

If I were a terrorist, I would absolutely try to cross through Mexico rather than Canada.

stvnscott on August 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM

alchemist19 on August 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM

There is another part to your questions about which border to cross. What also comes into play is which country is it easier to first get into. Canada or Mexico? Lots of easy entry points into Mexico than into Canada.

Now if ISIS is entering on a passport and staying on via a visitor’s visa, then yes Canada. What is the chance ISIS or other types will be entering with a valid passport?

Just spit-balling here.

HonestLib on August 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Rick Perry is all but done for 2016. The progressive referees have already thrown him out of the game.

MT on August 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM

MT on August 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM

If that is true, then how will any conservative have a chance. Can’t they (progressives) them throw all conservatives they don’t like out of the game?

HonestLib on August 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Perry and Cruz need to meet and decide which one is going to be the conservative candidate. We don’t need both of them destroying each other. They have a future in conservative politics. We need one good conservative to compete against the rest of the “It’s my turn RINOS. We do not need to split our votes in the primary. Cruz is young and has a bright future. Perry also has a future as a Senator from Texas. I can also see Cruz as one hell of an Attorney General or SCOTUS nominee. I could see Perry as a great FBI Director, DHS Director, SEC. Of State, any number of cabinet level positions or Director jobs.

they lie on August 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Maybe it’s easier for them to get into Mexico illegally than it is to get into Canada illegally to begin with? Maybe Canada enforces their entry by illegals better than Mexico – do you disagree?

Just saying.

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Mug

Bmore on August 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Love it.

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM

alchemist19 on August 22, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Just spit-balling here.

HonestLib on August 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Just saying.

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Hey, we agree and like minds and all that! Chuckle.

Wish you well. I see another block quote failure on me part.

HonestLib on August 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Let’s try this again.

Here’s noted liberal rag The Washington Times explaining that if your real concern is terrorist infiltration that the northern border is a bigger problem than the southern one.

If the Times isn’t to your liking then here’s the communists at Cybercast saying the same thing.

Look, I’m not trying to say we don’t have massive problems at the southern border. It’s blatantly obvious that we do, and the dereliction of duty of the federal government to enforce our border is close to criminal, if not all the way there. What Perry is doing though in invoking terrorism is a stalking horse. The very real problems of drug smuggling, of the burden on state welfare systems and on down the line that are associated with our porous southern border don’t seem to be enough to get Washington motivated to do anything about it, so what Perry is doing here is trying to up the ante and thereby scare people into action. I thought what he was doing was transparent enough that more people would see through it so I guess I’ve learned something.

As to the accusation that I don’t live in Texas, not that it matters but I’m guilty as charged on that one. I do not now, nor have I ever lived in the great state of Texas. The thing is the Mexican border isn’t just in Texas and I did spend about half the Bush years living less than 100 miles from Mexico, albeit in another border state. When I would go to the range I would pass signs that I was entering an area of high immigrant trafficking and to be on my guard. And I’ve got very close friends who still live in rural areas even closer to the border than I did. So if the Texans trying to take me to task live in El Paso or Brownsville I might give that some credence, but if you’re up in Houston or Austin or around Dallas over 500 miles away then you don’t have anything on me for living with it in my own backyard. Or rather you wouldn’t have anything on me if it mattered where you live, which it doesn’t.

alchemist19 on August 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I will be posting this on every HA topic. We need to put our money where our mouths are.

they lie on August 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Hey, we agree and like minds and all that! Chuckle.

Wish you well. I see another block quote failure on me part.
HonestLib on August 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

That’s why Perry’s not ready for primetime.

alchemist19 on August 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I agree…they already have picked up on it and running wild. Perry should be smart enough to realize that a sophisticated terrorist group ISIS is not ‘coming across the MX border’ Until the GOP gets off the crazy train and offers real solutions to the serious issues our country is facing…Dems will win forever.

Redford on August 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Fmr. Homeland Security Adviser: ‘Very, Very True’ ISIS May Have Crossed Border

Akzed on August 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM

AQ’s list of target cities in the US was NYC, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I’d imagine that ISIS will use the same list. Unfortunately for these ‘progressive’ cities in deep bleu states and the leftist/liberal/’progressive’ enablers of radical Islamism who live in them they will find that the reaction of the majority of American citizens to one of those cities being attacked will be quite different than the reaction to 9/11. It will be more in tune with the reaction of the rest of the world which will be “They asked for it.”

Nahanni on August 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM