CNN source: Darren Wilson didn’t suffer an eye socket fracture

posted at 4:41 pm on August 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

I want to make sure after yesterday’s post that everyone knows it’s still in dispute whether Wilson’s eye socket was actually fractured in his altercation with Michael Brown.

What’s apparently not in dispute is that Wilson somehow emerged from the incident with part of his face swollen.

The extent of the injury matters insofar as the worse it is, the stronger Wilson’s defense will be that he reasonably feared serious injury from Brown when he allegedly charged at him. But it probably doesn’t matter that much: Obviously, the complexion of a case in which an unarmed man is shot dead changes if the defendant was attacked just moments before, especially if that attack involved going for the defendant’s gun. If the victim’s intent to harm is proved, establishing that Wilson’s fear of Brown was reasonable, then he’s one-third of the way to self-defense. He’d also have to show that Brown was advancing on him, a claim the prosecution will try to disprove, and further that Brown was so dangerous that Wilson was justified in using lethal force in bringing him down. Not an easy task given that Brown had no weapon of his own, but then that’s why the injury is important.

Incidentally, Patterico points out that the news about the swelling in Wilson’s face isn’t new. It was new to me when Jim Hoft first wrote about it earlier this week and probably new to you too, but it turns out that Ferguson’s chief of police mentioned it — at a press conference — all the way back on August 13th. Reuters flagged it at the time but I hadn’t seen a single other major source mention it despite its obvious relevance to Wilson’s looming defense. And I’m following the Ferguson story reasonably closely as part of my bloggy duties. How come? How come the injury isn’t a standard fact mentioned whenever the media’s recounting what may or may not have happened between Brown and Wilson when they encountered each other?

Via RCP, here’s CNN noodling the credibility of witnesses in the case. Brooke Baldwin makes a fair point: A population that’s afraid of its police force might be reluctant to come forward in a case like this and tell the police things they don’t want to hear. One virtue of the Ferguson protests is that they may have emboldened some witnesses with facts that incriminate Wilson to speak up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Oh, and by the way, so the cops eye wasn’t broken….. since f*cking when did an assault on a cop have to result in broken f*cking FACIAL BONES before idiots like AP will just admit that they were assualted??

WTF?!

Fathom on August 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM

There is a thing called “reasonable response”. As a bouncer – I get assaulted all the time. The Cops expect me to take the first punch – then I’m allowed to defend myself. However – if I get clocked in the face, get off the floor and pull out a gun and shoot the guy … the Cops will …

A. Arrest me for using unreasonable force to defend myself.

B. Also charge me for having a weapon.

Rules that … magically – Police Officers are exempt from.

HondaV65 on August 22, 2014 at 2:17 AM

There is a video from about five months back of a guy assaulting a cop in a subway station.

BIG guy … goes after a black cop saying … “Shoot me with your gun!”

Keeps coming after the Cop. Cop DID have a gun.

Cop backs up … while spraying pepper spray at the assaulter.

Guy blocks the pepper spray with his hat and keeps coming.

When the guy gets close – Cop pulls out metal baton and starts hitting him. Pretty good licks too.

They struggle a bit – but some other cops apparently come in by this time and the issue is resolved.

A gun isn’t the first line of “self-defense”.

Now – it may be for a home-owner, who may not be in the physical shape required to take on an attacker physically – but it shouldn’t be for a soldier or a cop who SHOULD be in the physical shape and have the fighting skills to take on an unarmed attacker.

But … you know – there are a lot of fat-boy cops out there who wouldn’t last five seconds with an attacker – so for them, they have one resort – a gun.

And that’s pretty lame.

HondaV65 on August 22, 2014 at 2:24 AM

This is a statement that can only be made by a white person…period. It says a lot that in a country where black people from governors, even the attorney general, and myself, a doctor have said that we have been stopped and harassed for no reason that somebody

Chudi on August 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM

In addition to revealing your racism, that statement reveals your fantastical antisocialism.

Lourdes on August 22, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Chudi on August 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM

“The police” are human beings. They’re individuals. They are not required, nor should be, to be of one race out of all others. Being “stopped by the police” involves some cause — and it’s not, contrary to what racists assume, because a cop’s race is White or otherwise “not dark”.

It’s because a driver or the vehicle the driver is operating displays some unusual behavior when compared to other non-problematic vehicles, other drivers.

When you assume, as you have, that you’re driving and being questioned by a cop who is of a different race than yours, that it’s because of YOUR race, you’re really missing the conscientious point of what it means to drive well and safely.

Lourdes on August 22, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Another thing and that is, I read the same false pretense from others as what “Chudi” wrote, as to shopping, service situations, etc., as to driving.

Some claim they’re “followed in stores because (they’re) Black” but people are followed around in stores, or more closely monitored in them, when they behave unusually. It’s not because someone’s Black but because their behavior is suspicious by one thing or another.

Persons with baby-carriages, big bags in tow, in groups, in stores REGARDLESS OF THEIR RACE, are “followed” by security or monitored.

But it gets a lot of attention on a melodramatic, and quite racist, level, to claim one is being regarded with suspicion based on race. Persons who do so reveal their own obsession with their race in an antagonistic level with the race of others.

I’ve lived among predominantly Asian populations for many years and I can tell you with assurance that being “not Asian” in such populations does get me a closer look-over, if and when I’m walking about making racially-defined judgements of others.

People of all racial types are sometimes prejudiced racially. They’re individuals. It’s a case of having good intentions toward others and maintaining your own self respect when going about daily activities and not exuding, or otherwise practicing, prejudicial, judgemental negativity toward others while doing so.

For those you encounter who are “racist,” then limit your involvement as much as possible with them — cops aren’t racist in my experience so much as they’re towing a big responsibility on an hourly basis where their own safety is concerned, and they should be respected.

Lourdes on August 22, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Chudi on August 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM

And I’d be willing to bet that Eric Holder, who is now “attorney general,” was as obnoxious in his past and with just about everyone else, as he is today. So his bad attitudes were apparent when he had interactions with others and I bet those he DID have bad interactions with were almost always White.

Holder instead fails that standard of self-examination and projects his own racialist animosity onto others, and those others he projects onto are almost always White.

Lourdes on August 22, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Chudi, I’ve encountered extremely racially prejudiced persons who were Asian, Black, White, Brown, any and all. It’s not an indication of their race overall but an indication of their individual problems.

Lourdes on August 22, 2014 at 3:15 AM

If Obama had a son:

“Just kids…”

Lourdes on August 22, 2014 at 3:18 AM

AP, you consistently amuse me with your penchant for asking questions to which you already know the answer.

Lamont Cranston on August 22, 2014 at 3:20 AM

And somehow we are trusting Obama’s mouthpiece to present the facts? If you are dumb enough to attack a cop with a gun, don’t expect him to give you a lollipop.

Brock Robamney on August 22, 2014 at 5:51 AM

am i the only person who has google? cnn had this on august 11th.

The officer was taken to an area hospital where he was treated for a “swollen face,” Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said, adding he had not personally seen the officer’s injury.

dbilly76 on August 22, 2014 at 5:54 AM

If youre a conservative of color. Make sure you read these comments.

These are the people youre aligning yourself with.

Your political leanings may change over time. Your skin color wont.

Politricks on August 22, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Good to see you’re okay, Politricks. We’d all worried something bad had happened to you when you quit responding to posts once you realized what they did to the crumbling narrative you’d worked so hard on:

Say, I wonder if we should issue a similar “If you’re an independent voting against those racist (R)s because you’ve been told how racisty they are but consider yourself an honest, intelligent, and morally consistent person, these are the people you’re aligning yourself with, and while political leanings may change over time, your morals most likely won’t” sort of post.

rogerb on August 22, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Gateway pundit broke the story. I read it a day before I saw it on Fox.

CNN is the ONLY source who says it is false. CNN stands alone.

The Washington Post checked it out and still say it is true.

Because of privacy laws, no one can show the actual medical tests, so CNN can say anything it wants.

But whether the bone is actually broken is not the story!!!!

CNN admits Michael Brown attacked the Officer and that is the thing that matters in whether Darren Wilson should be indicted for murder. That makes it self-defense. And defense of the public. He couldn’t allow a man that dangerous to escape arrest.

So all your hyperventilating about whether the bone is actually broken or not is a side story.

Michael Brown committed at least two violent felonies that led to his death.

petunia on August 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Well if Gateway pundit broke the story then they need to come out and stand by their story and call out CNN for misleading their viewers.
Anything else and they are nothing but bold face liars.

Any reputable site would have clarified things by now.
Conservative media were desperate for contrast in the MSM coverage that’s why this lie was put out there.

“Egg on face” for every site that published it.

weedisgood on August 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Rules that … magically – Police Officers are exempt from.

HondaV65 on August 22, 2014 at 2:17 AM

It’s quite simple, really. As a bouncer, you can retreat and let someone else more qualified handle the situation (or you can even find a new line of work).

A police officer responding to a call or an incident cannot retreat and let somebody else handle the situation.

Why can I say this? I spent 25 years in law enforcement working in a large upstate NY city (population of 500,000)and believe me, I’ve had my share of incidents and shooting scenarios.

Cherokee on August 22, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I forgot to mention, HondaV65,…if you’re still confused about the difference between a police officer’s and a civilian’s use of deadly physical force, the answers will be in your state’s penal law section under….ready? The Use of Deadly Physical Force. Good luck.

Cherokee on August 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I live in a small town. I have to make a drive to the bank to store our company data backup tapes every day.

Because it is such a small town, and I drive down Main Street, it isn’t unusual for a police car to be right behind me – on average, once every four or five days.

I don’t speed. I stop at pedestrian crossing. I observe the traffic signal. Not once have I ever been pulled over.

Now my question to the race-baiters out there is this:

Is obeying the law really that difficult for you?

Turtle317 on August 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM

weedisgood on August 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Please provide a corroborating source for CNN’s BS story.

Oh, and put down the bong and move out of Mom’s Basement, while you’re at it.

kingsjester on August 22, 2014 at 9:09 AM

LOL, good one.

Oh wait, that looks like a serious question; wtf?

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM

BIG guy … goes after a black cop saying … “Shoot me with your gun!”

Keeps coming after the Cop. Cop DID have a gun.

Cop backs up … while spraying pepper spray at the assaulter.

Guy blocks the pepper spray with his hat and keeps coming.

A gun isn’t the first line of “self-defense”.

And that’s pretty lame.

HondaV65 on August 22, 2014 at 2:24 AM

There is no obligation on the part of law enforcement, to ensure the safety of ANY assailant (being unarmed is irrelevant), coming at police officers with intent to attack.

There is no obligation on the part of the United State’s non-black citizens, to relate to today’s “black” U.S. citizens, with with some extra degree of “diplomatic tactfulness” and/or “sensitivity”, or otherwise “understand their rage.”

There IS an obligation on the part of EVERYONE to obey the law as much as you understand the the law.

Making any claims to the contrary, is “pretty lame.”

listens2glenn on August 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM

This isnt even a CNN story, its one of its employees, Julian Cummings, tweeting a very carefully worded tweet, trying to stoke up the fires. Notice he says sources say “X-ray shows no bruises/fracture” and “X-rays are negative”

Thats because X-rays often dont show that injury. Very easy to claim he was being truthful if later tests prove officer Wilso did have a eye socket fracture. He will just say, my sources just saw the x-ray and I was reporting what they told me.

geramy2012 on August 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM

A. Arrest me for using unreasonable force to defend myself.

B. Also charge me for having a weapon.

Rules that … magically – Police Officers are exempt from.

HondaV65 on August 22, 2014 at 2:17 AM

LOL, man, I don’t even know where to start.

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM

NO. NO. NO. You are not required to prove INTENT on the part of the attacker at all! “Reasonable fear” doesn’t require ANY INTENT. It only requires that you believed there was an intent.

Please, AP, stop opining on things if you don’t grasp them. You have been such a danged squish on this! The above is not an opinion, it is the legal fact for a self-defense claim.

And, re being a threat:

Really? You think Brown couldn’t be a threat if he was “unarmed”? Hows about you and I go out back and I prove to you how dangerous an “unarmed” person can be? If you’re not willing to do that (and I certainly don’t stand 6’4″, ~300#) then you should stop making the claim that Brown being “unarmed” has CRAP to do with any perceived threat.

GWB on August 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Chudi on August 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Could be the chip on your shoulder you can see from space..

BTW, when I was a teen I drove a car that could easily pass for a car that a gang member would drive. 80 Buick Regal- pretty blue paint job, good rims– I also worked late hours in a bad part of town. I got stopped all the time. I am a 5 foot nothing white girl. My car, the time of night, and the area fit a profile. Was I getting stopped because I was white? Was I getting harassed because I was white? Pretty soon the cops in the area stopped me enough, and knew who I was, and who I wasn’t and no more stops.

Furthermore, I hear black people complain all the time about being watched and followed in stores. I get watched and followed all the time. Even at 40, when I put my hair up in a ponytail- I can pass for really young. Guess who shoplifts? Really young.

It is all in YOUR perception. You think because you have been stopped, that YOU are the ONLY person who has ever been stopped in the history of stops, and it must be because of your color. Take your racial glasses off, and stop seeing things through YOUR colored perception.

melle1228 on August 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM

melle1228 on August 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM

THIS! It’s all about the self-centered life. Mopey teen guys get this when they think they’re the only one that has ever gone without a date for prom. Once you grow up a bit, you realize differently. But, we no longer require people to grow up.

GWB on August 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Point of order. The Defendant doesn’t have to prove anything. The Prosecutor has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer was not shooting in self defense.

Conservative in NOVA on August 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM

You are beclowning yourself, Allahpundit

An equally valid observation would be that the violence around Ferguson, and the near-universal community demands for the cop to be punished, are intimidating any witnesses who have accounts supporting a self-defense claim.

I’d suggest that your decision not to acknowledge that possiblity, answers the question you yourself raised:

Answer: because it doesn’t fit the writer’s preconceived bias.

paladinofthelosthour on August 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Bottom line? Here’s what killed Mike Brown… and Trayvon Martin:
Black Culture. THe culture that makes black males feel like they have to act like thugs, or be thugs. Looking and acting angry all the time. The culture that makes them take what they want because they feel like they deserve it. The culture that makes them take any sideways glance as an insult that must be attacked. The culture that makes them have no respect for others, be they parents, teachers, store clerks or police.

Wanna not get shot? How about not committing strong arm robbery. How about not assaulting police officers. How about not taunting or threatening the police. How about not being a thug.

Dexter_Alarius on August 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM

A six foot four inch three hundred pound man bum-rushing a police officer that he has just been in a physical altercation with, did not want to shake the officers hand. He was intending to finish the fight. This raging bull of a man was a huge threat of immediate and life threatening danger. He chose to make this stupid decision and the officer chose to live. He was totally justified in ending the life threatening threat with deadly force. The officer fired several times and the threat was still coming fast at him. He fired until the threat was eliminated as he was trained to do. The idiot fell about THREE FEET from the officer!
Why is it wrong to look at racial make up of the people involved instead of looking at the facts? Answer this for me and maybe you will see the truth instead of racist reasons for looting which is never right.

harvey1 on August 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM

weedisgood on August 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM

NOW THERE ARE FOUR SOURCES: Officer Darren Wilson Suffered Fractured Eye Socket

Jason58 on August 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM

The whitewash coverup of a murder from a dirty PD continues.If they had any real information, they would have had a press conference with the hospital and doctors. THEY HAVE NOTHING BUT LIES!

earlgrey on August 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

With all due respect Allah – you are woefully naive to agree with Baldwin and this point.

The “fear of cops” isn’t what keeps black folks from giving eye witness testimony to cops – its the fear of reprisal within their own community. “Snitches get stitches” isn’t some cliche meme – it’s accurate and true. And considering the immediate “witnesses” who did not side with the cops and in fact gave bogus accounts, disproves the entire premise. The so-called “12 witnesses who agree with Wilson” – yet to be named also disproves this premise; that fear of cops leads to giving an account in favor of Wilson.

This phenom carries over to black on black violence – whereas eyewitnesses remain silent.

The “fear of cops” is a myth concerning witness accounts against any cop activity. It’s almost as if some white folks who never stepped foot in a black American community are agreeing with this bogus opinion.

Odie1941 on August 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

melle1228 on August 22, 2014 at 10:06 AM

GWB on August 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I’m absolutely sure that the only reason the police have pulled me over and given me speeding tickets (about 7 times in my life) is because I’m a cleancut white guy driving a decent car or truck – so I must have enough money to pay their fine for “driving while white”. It’s the only answer. It couldn’t possibly be because I was driving too fast. Uh uhhhhh – All those cops were clearly racist against white males with short haircuts – and they were all out to get ME and only me – I just know it…..

dentarthurdent on August 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM

The phrase “keep f*cking that chicken” comes to mind.

You know, a downside might also be that the protests have frightened some witness with facts that exonerate Wilson to shut up.

Quit cheerleading, AP. Why are you so clearly vested in the cop being a bad guy?

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Odie1941 on August 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

And maybe if certain people weren’t committing so many crimes, they wouldn’t be “targeted” so much by the cops. Look at the FBI crime statistics and tell with a straight face there isn’t a pattern there. Criminals (of all races) tend to get paranoid about cops – “fear of cops?” – because they know dam well they’ve done something wrong and figure the cops are looking for them.

I personally fear cops with radar guns – but not firearm type guns. And why would that be? Maybe cuz I tend to drive fast, and when they catch me I have to pay a fine. And my wife keeps telling me if I slow down I wouldn’t have to worry about it. Duhhhh.

dentarthurdent on August 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM

earlgrey on August 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I may have unfairly neglected to pay attention to you the other day, if I did, let me just say that I apologize, and would like to make up for it now.

Go f*ck yourself.

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Go f*ck yourself.

Midas on August 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

LOL.

dentarthurdent on August 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

dentarthurdent on August 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Now you’re getting it, Dent!

GWB on August 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Let’s put our money where our mouth is.

they lie on August 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Now you’re getting it, Dent!

GWB on August 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Should I have put a sarc tag on that?
I thought about it.

“Just cuz you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re NOT out to get you.”

dentarthurdent on August 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM

earlgrey on August 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Don’t hurt yourself stamping your little feetsies, there, Earl.

F X Muldoon on August 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM

FOUR SOURCES NOW On Wilson Fractured Orbital Eye Socket

Rush Limbaugh said on the radio a minute ago that something is going on over at CNN. He said it like something has let the air out of their Mike Brown propaganda. This might me it.

The Gateway Pundit may have the last laugh on those attacking him for reporting that Officer Wilson suffered an orbital fracture.

conservativeBC on August 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM