Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge

posted at 8:41 pm on August 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

I toyed with a “Bush gets waterboarded” headline but even my hackery has its limits, my friends.

I’ve gone from thinking the challenge is dumb to brilliant in the span of about a week. It’s dumb on its face: The gimmick is that you either submit to having a bucket of ice water dumped on you or you make a donation to ALS research, and then you challenge a few people you know to do the same. Which seems like an odd way to raise money. What kind of charity drive invites would-be donors to do something in lieu of donating, especially when that something is silly, fun, and tailor-made for viral video? But it’s working: They’ve raised more than $30 million so far. As the ice bucket videos draw in bigger and bigger names, it’s turned into a megawatt celebrity ad campaign for the charity. And of course not everyone who’s choosing the bucket is keeping their wallet in their pocket; the Bushes are a perfect example of a family that’s doing both. The only downside is that copycat charity drives are bound to follow. Does America need a “pie-in-the-face for cancer” movement? We’re going to find out.

Because nothing Bush does can escape criticism, including free publicity for a charity that aims to cure a fatal illness, The Week gently notes that his bucket of water appears to have contained no ice. I blame the neocons.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

CORRECTION!!!

war “was” so …

lol

hawkdriver on August 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM

CORRECTION!!!

“precedent”

lol

hawkdriver on August 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Is this thing on?

(Tap, Tap, Tap)

Haven’t read the new posts yet but I’ll try to check in later. Gonna go over and see what http://www.smirkingchimp.com/ is babbling about. In their 15th year now, and still going strong!

Del Dolemonte on August 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Hawkdriver,

You don’t get to take your inferences and assign them to assertions “Herr Private”.

I entered civilian life as an E-5, and I earned those additional chevrons ! Herr Sergeant, please.

I merely stated the fact that you were wrong about your claim that the war so greatly affected by an impossible OPTEMPO put before us.

You didn’t state a fact. You tried to win the argument by referring to your personal military experience, which was irrelevant to the larger question.

That simply is not the case. Never was. I wouldn’t expect a private to fully comprehend that though.

The generals seemed to understand it just fine. Maybe mushy-headed mid-level officers were the only ones left out of the discussion.

From the Washington Post article:

The Marine Corps’ ability to train for potential conflicts has been “significantly degraded,” said Gen. Robert Magnus, assistant commandant of the Marine Corps.

He said that although Marine Corps units involved in the troop increase last year have pulled out, new demands in Afghanistan, where 3,200 Marines are headed, have kept the pressure on the force unchanged.

“There has been little, if any, change of the stress or tempo for our forces,” he said, calling the current pace of operations “unsustainable.”

BTW, the phrase “military operational tempo” is a perfectly acceptable term to the DoD.

Pincher Martin on August 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Yeah, Del, you might want to check out the new BLS website I provided for you before you lie down for your evening nap.

Pincher Martin on August 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

. . . The Week gently notes that his bucket of water appears to have contained no ice.

It’s this sort of thing that invites me through open windows.

Axe on August 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That’s how far I made on the enlisted side until I went to Flight School. Good job.

There wasn’t an argument going on. You were wrong.

Took you a day to find that article. Great. It’s from 2008 and discusses a specific period of time.

The 2008 surge which ended the month of April when General Cody was arguing to add an additional airborne brigade. I’ve flown for Cody and I like him. But he argued for an additional airborne in the same period discussions began to deactivate the 82ND Airborne from an Airborne Division. That now happens in 2015. Okay? He also called for an additional Stryker Brigade when they were determined to be fighting in the least effective and most vulnerable fighting vehicle deployed. Facing the same IED threat MRAPs were being blown off the road by. Okay? With the “Heavy Brigade” Cody answer to augmentation was just three brigades. Do you understand that 30K was supped to included the RC South Bridging Plan and was executed at the request of our allies? That accounts for 10K of the increase that obama ultimately took credit for. 30K extra troops were never accurately sent and your period linked to was at the end of troop reduction.

Read here and learn.

hawkdriver on August 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM

PS, even Obama conceded The Surge succeeded.

hawkdriver on August 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Yeah, stupid.

corona79 on August 21, 2014 at 10:17 PM

That orgnization(the ALS group) supports fetal stem cell research.
I will not be doing anything for/donating anything to them.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM

My fiancee died from complications brought on by ALS, hon. I would have appreciated the research had it been sooner and brought possibility of a cure. He*l, I appreciate it now. But you go right ahead with your false outrage if it makes you feel better.

Oh, and by the way, don’t bother with the sympathy, prayers, or pity. I don’t need it and it won’t bring Vickie back.

BillH on August 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM

BillH on August 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Personally, I wouldn’t want a cure if I knew it was produced by the taking of an infant life. That’s just me. Adult stem cell, fine. Fetal stem cell research and imagined cures, the absolute low point in human history.

Sorry for your loss.