Watch: Liberal gun control advocates fire a weapon for the first time

posted at 12:01 pm on August 19, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Here is a fun video via BuzzFeed Yellow.

“There should definitely be harsher gun control,” said one advocate for stricter gun laws.

“It’s just an antiquated thing,” another said of the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

“There’s a national embarrassment at how many people are killed by gun violence,” a third professed.

Well, their conviction was put to the test recently when these gun control advocates were given a firearm and taught to shoot it (Mild language warning):

“I fired once and I wanted to take a nap,” one of the gun control advocates confessed.

“I’m not as scared as I was,” another added.

“I felt kind of badass,” the third individual said of the process of cocking and firing a shotgun.

While none of these individuals have probably changed their minds about the need for new gun control legislation, the impression one gets from watching them fire a weapon suggests that they may have fewer illusions about the ease of pulling the trigger.

“It was kind of enjoyable, but then I was getting sickened at me feeling enjoyable about it,” one of this experiment’s subjects confessed.

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Exactly. So why go F up a fun thing that IS legal?

Doughboy on August 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM

but I thought mass shootings only occurred in gun-free zones?!

nonpartisan on April 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

As she rushed off to her NORML meeting.

HumpBot Salvation on August 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Liberal idiocy.

Penn & Teller once did a presentation on their Showtime program about “violent video games” and gun violence. It ended with a video-game-enjoying young kid being brought to tears after being taken to a gun range and firing a weapon, as some nutjob gun control/anti-video game activist kept claiming that kids who play video games will eventually pick up guns and start going on killing sprees.

Because it’s enjoyable and quite thrilling, people are smart enough to be more careful with something like a shotgun or rifle. Man, leftists really get dumber by the day, it seems.

Aizen on August 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

But…free birth control for all…

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Forgot the Duhhhh – guns are legal, dummies.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Watching this at least makes one feel good about not being a gun control advocate!! What a bunch of clueless people!

Deano1952 on August 19, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Here is something illegal to focus on, for you dummies from the Left.

But, it’s not PC…because the dummies in China…think it’s an aphrodisiac.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

That was cute

rob verdi on August 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

If just one liberal douchebag can get her mind right about guns it was worth it.

cornbred on August 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

That’s OK, we won’t tell anyone. ;-)

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

That’s OK, too. Guns are legal.

Patriot Vet on August 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Oh, Lawdy… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on August 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM

When our oldest daughter turned 21 what did she want? My SIG 228 and CHL. She got both. Did she give me back my SIG 232 I let her borrow? No. Smart girl.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM

God did not make men equal.

Sam Colt did.

formwiz on August 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM

“There should definitely be harsher gun control”

And when someone breaks into your home at 2AM?
#gunsense

Torcert on August 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Sounds like something Jake Tapper and/or Chris Hayes (or just about any CNN or MSNBC ‘journalist’) might have said last night in Ferguson.

tanked59 on August 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Oh, Lawdy… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on August 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Hello mam, I know this nice guy I want you to meet. Little old and worn, but harmless. He goes by HonestLib. Let me know if you want to meet the perv him?

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Here is something illegal to focus on, for you dummies from the Left.

But, it’s not PC…because the dummies in China…think it’s an aphrodisiac.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

But the Chinese are such enlightened, civilized people who don’t believe in sky beings.

– Dork Current

HumpBot Salvation on August 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I enjoyed that video. The reactions were well shown. Pretty cool.

jake-the-goose on August 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM

“OMG! I fired a gun! That makes me a murderer! Ewww!”

CrustyB on August 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM

“I’m not as scared as I was,” another added.

Perhaps you’ll rethink your gun control stance and consider you’re own self-defense.

Bitter Clinger on August 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

It is in Colorado and Washington.

RickB on August 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Bunch of morons. Surprised nobody got hurt.

southsideironworks on August 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM

What a bunch of absolute clueless pinheads. I hope each and every one of them get the opportunity to face an armed intruder in their home. They could then write “gun law” on a piece of paper and wave it at the intruder. See how that works out for you.

sharpshooter on August 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I’m sure Abe slipped on his onesie and wrapped himself around some cocoa after that.

Chuck Schick on August 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Oh the stories that Pajama Boy will be able to tell while enjoying hot cocoa now that he’s shot a gun.

Flange on August 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM

My son is about the same age as the dude in the video and I showed him the video (he came to work with me today). Only thing my son said was “Winnebago Man”? and gently shook his head. I did not notice the shirt until he pointed it out.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Dang it, who showed ‘em which end to hold?

Tsar of Earth on August 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

And there is another fun thing that is legal that kills 10′s of thousands every year because of people lack of responsibility when engaging in the activity. Far more than those harmed by a gun.

wifarmboy on August 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Pretty revealing — every single reaction was about “how this makes/made *me* feel.” Yep, I believe every one of those people was a very committed liberal.

Did they not express any thoughts about, how might this skill be useful to me in stopping a threat to myself or my kids? Or did BuzzFeed edit those out? Hmmm….

Eviva on August 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM

But…free birth control for all…

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I dunno. The people in that video might make me reconsider my stance on handing out free birth control…

Shump on August 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM

C’mon, folks, it’s not appropriate to wish harm [home invasion] on these guys. Like most anti-gunners, they’re misinformed and ignorant, not malicious.

Even if they haven’t (yet) changed their minds about gun control, they’re no longer completely ignorant. You can see a small spark of understanding beginning to form.

Go ahead and attack politicians who call for gun control–they should (and often *DO*) know better. But by and large, we’re fighting ignorance. Take away the mystique of guns, take away the fear of the unknown, and a lot of people will drop their objections.

Mohonri on August 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM

fairly sure i saw 3 orgasms in that clip….

drballard on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Wow. The lack of safety training in this video is cringe-worthy. It was plainly obvious they had received virtually NO safety instruction prior.

I think the idea behind the video is laudable…but their “instructor” failed miserably.

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Gun and ammo sales are waaaay up since Ferguson.

Actions always have consequences.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

knowing the men they date, probably their first ones…

drballard on August 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

In fairness to the instructor these were morons. They may have ignored, forgot or simply thought they knew better.

Flange on August 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Liberal gun control advocates fire a weapon for the first time

Did they cut Noah from the video?

faraway on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Republicans Back Off Using Obamacare as Issue

“Republicans seeking to unseat the U.S. Senate incumbent in North Carolina have cut in half the portion of their top issue ads citing Obamacare, a sign that the party’s favorite attack against Democrats is losing its punch,” Bloomberg reports.

“The shift — also taking place in competitive states such as Arkansas and Louisiana — shows Republicans are easing off their strategy of criticizing Democrats over the Affordable Care Act now that many Americans are benefiting from the law and the measure is unlikely to be repealed.”

“The party had been counting on anti-Obamacare sentiment to spur Republican turnout in its quest for a U.S. Senate majority, just as the issue did when Republicans took the House in 2010. Now, Republicans are seeking a new winning formula for an election less than three months away.”

Ned Pepper on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Mohonri on August 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I agree with this. Definitely.

Shump on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Two out of the five will be future Three Gun Competition competitors….

d1carter on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

My sentiments exactly.
Did he not go over Col. Cooper’s Rules?
I would have taken the guns away til they learned Rule 3 at least.

Sweep me with the muzzle? That might have ended the lesson right there.

Overall tho, pretty good idea. Sometimes converts are the biggest zealots.

soundingboard on August 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

As urban elitist helpfully pointed out

Compared to HIV/AIDS, 70 million more people are potentially exposed to gun violence by the ~115M “have guns” population each year (how timely, eh (D)s?).

And, even with 70,000,000 MORE people exposed, 115M “have guns” folks still kill 1400+ FEWER other people than the 1/2 of 1% with HIV/AIDS (only 1.1M of the total pop.) who risk exposing a mere 245 million people having sexual contact* annually.

Thanks again for your numbers, urban elitist. It truly is amazing to realize how remarkably safe the “have guns” population is, isn’t it?

* Yes, I know he was including children and not all of those contacts involve fluids, but let him have it. We’re trying to help their numbers as much as possible.

rogerb on August 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Abortions are more dangerous than guns

faraway on August 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

IMHO – you may well be “short sheeting” the instructor a bit (unless you were there LIVE and IN PERSON – which I highly doubt)………and YES I agree there were several instances of not keeping the muzzle downrange at ALL times – which could just as easily be TERRIFIED of guns Libtards not paying attention to specific instructions as it could be a lack of instructions……….

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Well I see were the problem is with these gun control people, they’ve never been taught that owning guns is legal. LOL

DDay on August 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Awesome video, and a right step in the right direction.

Most of the “city” people, do not understand guns…and a lot of women, once they get introduced, they “get it”.

Women are afraid of guns because they are “powerless” in a man’s world (at least that’s their feeling), put a gun in their hand, teach them, and they begin to see it as an equalizer…they have the power.

And I think that one gal begin to see the light…my wife never fired a pistol or any kind of firearm, until she fired a shotgun.

Good luck on taking that sport away from her…she and her friends, addicted. And the confidence they show, also addicted and the vibe is strong.

Thugs, bully’s pick on the weak…you can bet a woman who handles a gun proficiently, is not seen as weak.

right2bright on August 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Mohonri on August 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Shump on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Seconded.

soundingboard on August 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Ned Pepper on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Ned you useless moron, what does this have to do with the article? At lease start is off with OT. “Calling Ned Pepper, Calling Ned Pepper, you’re wanted at the Daily KOS to copy and paste something on a more conservative blog!!” Idiot.

Deano1952 on August 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Anybody else cringe at 2:18?

justltl on August 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Oh and I forgot, Bless their Little Hearts.

DDay on August 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Now they should go to a PPP clinic and perform an abortion.

You know, to get some experience with actually killing a person.

BobMbx on August 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

No, that happens all the time with these kind of newbies, I see it alot.

The instructor was right there with them, but remember, these are real beginners, not “beginners” whose parents or friends are shooters…these people have probably never even been close to a gun, or even seen one fired.

right2bright on August 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM

right2bright on August 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Dems are always trying to keep the women down. #WarOnWomen

faraway on August 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM

right2bright on August 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Exactly. Fearing a gun is like fearing a car. It’s a dangerous tool when used irresponsibly, but when you understand it and are trained in its use…….

And you’re right, women understand they are not helpless victims, that there’s an alternative to liberal solutions of not resisting.

itsspideyman on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I see that some already posted re ‘cringeworthy’. Sorry.

justltl on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

The brunette who muzzle-swept the instructor came closer to hurting someone with a gun than I ever have in my 6 years as a concealed license holder. I winced.
I’d still foul the hell out of her bore after a generous application of Hoppes No. 9, IYKWIM.

3.14159 on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Ned Pepper on August 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Is this a good thing for the country as both Medicare and Social Security have unfunded liabilities of 107T (SSI 18T…Medicare 89T)?

Hey, what’s another non means tested entitlement when we can’t meet our promises. Yep, sounds good to me.

You are so silly.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM

This is step one to correct their miseducation. The next step is when they put 2 and 2 together by realizing that a personal weapon can protect them from harm. Do not despise the day of small beginnings.

paul1149 on August 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Deano1952 on August 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Leave him alone, Obama’s back in town, he just zipped him up when they asked him to post for them.

itsspideyman on August 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Responsibility needs to be exercised or else it atrophies. Like it has in these gun-grabbing liberals. If they had never driven a car in their life they’d want to ban those, too.

Socratease on August 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM

But tyrants, criminals and the willfully ignorant always seem to be in fashion.

It’s pathetic that you even give a sh1t what the rest of the world thinks about our domestic issues and our Constitution.

RadClown on August 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I think basic firearms safety (including a turn at the shooting range) should be a requirement for high school graduation. Perhaps we would have fewer ignorant people afraid of guns and worried that the gun will get up on it’s own and shoot them. At the very least, if those graduating went off to be leftist lemming journalists, we would not have to endure the ignorance of hearing magazines called “clips”, seeing reenactment videos of full cartidges flying out of the barrel of a gun, or have to tell idiot journalist via twitter that the rubber bullets they “found” were actually foam ear plugs.

billboy89 on August 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM

It must be nice to lead a pampered life where you never have to fear someone wanting to kill you and are too lame to protect yourself. Liberalism is a mental illness.

mcgilvra on August 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM

3.14159 on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I start out my kids with a John Henry .22 and then onto a .410. Then something small like a .380 when their hands are big enough for a sidearm.

After that, whatever they like. They usually go for the Class III stuff and I cry at the use of ammo!

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Only thing I “feel” is recoil. Go figure.

GarandFan on August 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Please don’t encourage Ned to continue to hijack the thread.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

3.14159 on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I almost jumped out of my chair!

That poor guy must have had to swallow hard to put his nuts back after that little move.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Flatterer… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on August 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Well, after a massive orgasm I like to go for a nap, too.

Humph.

Lickmuffin on August 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Good for them for being willing to try it and actually go through with it.

dpduq on August 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM

You’re right, I shouldn’t go off of the gun range employees.
Bottom line – it is the instructors duty to impart the knowledge, skills, and attitude for safely handling and operating a handgun upon the student. And honestly, their trainers may have only been employees (or RSOs) of the gun range, and not certified instructors.

What I noticed in this short vid made me cringe though. It’s not just about always keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction. It’s about making sure the students always keep their finger off the trigger until ready to shoot (and not in between shots nor while chambering a load). I’d also recommend single-load for beginners, instead of what they obviously did here.

My point is that I am all for getting everyone out to the range – old, young, novices, experts. But from just watching a short video, it was fairly apparent that their training was lacking in several areas.

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM

This needs to be done with millions more people.

UnstChem on August 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM

The dude said he “felt bad azz”after pumping.He knows,yes he does.

docflash on August 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Check back with them after they get mugged while waiting for someone (without military gear) to respond to a 911 call.

rhombus on August 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Meanwhile

Bmore on August 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Sorry. Should have linked it this way. Not sure why tweety gives me such trouble.

Bmore on August 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Please don’t encourage Ned to continue to hijack the thread.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Your advice is understood, appreciated, and accepted. Thanks.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM

The dark haired dolly just needs a real man to take her out to the range; she’ll be flying a Gadsden flag from her car on the way home.

Jaibones on August 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Liberal logic: Police are evil and racist. Only police should have guns.

eMatters on August 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM

The blond woman will never convert. Same story with the black woman.

The heavy-set woman with brown hair needs some more convincing. My guess is that she’s single, and that may not change. When she thinks about it over time, I suspect she might trade in her cats for a handgun.

The gay guy/beta male is a possible convert, despite what he says. Especially if he’s a beta male who’s trying to drop that label after having too many alpha males kick sand in his face, he could become that gun-toting badass deep down he really wants to be.

No question that the younger brunette will be getting a gun. She’s hooked.

BuckeyeSam on August 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM

You know their inner voice was screaming “git some…git some…” every time they pulled the trigger.

BobMbx on August 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM

From the way the woman said, “Oh, sorry” I got the impression that she had already been told to keep the muzzle down range. But you’re right, her finger was on the trigger the entire time.

photom on August 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

You’re right, I shouldn’t go off of the gun range employees.

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM

You are 100% correct on everything but what I struck out. There is NO WAY that instructor should have allowed any gun in the hands of those dolts before he gave them thourough, stern instruction.

1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. .
4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Those four rules ARE Gun Control, and those pansies should have been made to understand that.

NOMOBO on August 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Jaibones on August 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I agree. Her liberal friends are going to go berserk when she goes over to the dark side.

BuckeyeSam on August 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM

When a fool can’t ignore the conflict between prejudice and reality, cognitive dissonance is the result. Unlikely to result in any introspection though, just ratcheting up the denial and retreating from the uncomfortable reality, back into the soothing cocoon of the progressive fantasy.

novaculus on August 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Just got back from hosting my liberal NJ sister & brother-in-law at my cabin in WV last weekend. It was their second time down and second time shooting at my mountain-side gun range. They love it. They also know that just because I carry I don’t go around thinking I’m Yosemite Sam – quite the opposite.

First hand experience is the first step toward changing opinions. The people in this video are all hardened Marxists, but you can tell that their opinions started to soften even as they became even a little more comfortable with the weapons.

crrr6 on August 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Jaibones on August 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Lolz! ; )

Bmore on August 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM

rhombus on August 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Your post got me thinking.

It seems that taken as a whole, we have a 16 in 1,000 chance per year to be a victim of a violent crime. It of course varies by sex, race, age, and location.

We have a 83% chance of being the victim of crime over our lifetime.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

dugan on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Doesn’t matter, those were just harmless skeet guns. They weren’t designed to kill.

Harbingeing on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Leftist’s hypocritical guilt at work here.

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Leftist stupidity at work here because what stupid leftist was doing was perfectly legal.

Leftards will evolve into Eloi.

earlgrey on August 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM

NOMOBO on August 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I tell my kids that more folks are killed in gun accidents by unloaded guns than loaded ones.

Takes a few seconds then the light blub comes on.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Harbingeing on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I don’t care if they were bb guns. They are not harmless. It’s your kind of attitude that gets people inadvertantly injured or killed.

NOMOBO on August 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM

DO NOT give liberals guns, dammit!

SailorMark on August 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Paraphrasing here, trying to remember what the young man said exactly:

I think it’s fine to have guns in a controlled environment, here at the LA Gun Club, but that’s not the real world.

Yes! Exactly! You understand that they are ALREADY OUT THERE, so why do you want to take mine away?

ConservativeLawStudent on August 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

“I’m wrong, but I’m too arrogant to admit it to you hicks.”

Good Lt on August 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Why does that one girl have so much facial hair?

Red Cloud on August 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM