Watch: Liberal gun control advocates fire a weapon for the first time

posted at 12:01 pm on August 19, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Here is a fun video via BuzzFeed Yellow.

“There should definitely be harsher gun control,” said one advocate for stricter gun laws.

“It’s just an antiquated thing,” another said of the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

“There’s a national embarrassment at how many people are killed by gun violence,” a third professed.

Well, their conviction was put to the test recently when these gun control advocates were given a firearm and taught to shoot it (Mild language warning):

“I fired once and I wanted to take a nap,” one of the gun control advocates confessed.

“I’m not as scared as I was,” another added.

“I felt kind of badass,” the third individual said of the process of cocking and firing a shotgun.

While none of these individuals have probably changed their minds about the need for new gun control legislation, the impression one gets from watching them fire a weapon suggests that they may have fewer illusions about the ease of pulling the trigger.

“It was kind of enjoyable, but then I was getting sickened at me feeling enjoyable about it,” one of this experiment’s subjects confessed.

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When instructing new shooters first they get:
The Fundamental Rules of Firearms Safety.
They don’t see a firearm until they know them by heart and UNDERSTAND THEM COMPLETELY.
When they reach the stage of ‘live firing’ … the instructor is at ARMS LENGTH to the shooter AT ALL TIMES. The instructor is to anticipate the shooters actions AT ALL TIMES.
MUZZLE CONTROL is emphasized first, last, ALWAYS. They are told to never point a firearm at anything they are not willing to DESTROY.
The students are also told that we (the instructors) will be ‘low key’ and polite UNLESS … they VIOLATE any of the FUNDAMENTAL RULES.
If they do they will be vituperated in close quarters PUBLICLY.
Any future violation and you will be sent home.
Final words of wisdom: Once the bullet leaves the barrel, it has NO FRIENDS.

Missilengr on August 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

C’mon, folks, it’s not appropriate to wish harm [home invasion] on these guys. Like most anti-gunners, they’re misinformed and ignorant, not malicious.

Mohonri on August 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM

You have no idea if they are malicious or not, but I can guarantee you they are dangerous to your safety.

earlgrey on August 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Maybe they’ll try abortion next.

HopeHeFails on August 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Your post got me thinking.

It seems that taken as a whole, we have a 16 in 1,000 chance per year to be a victim of a violent crime. It of course varies by sex, race, age, and location.

We have a 83% chance of being the victim of crime over our lifetime.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I watched the world trade center collapse from the window of my NYC office building. I watched the Virginia Tech shooter murder people in the dorm where I used to live and in the classroom building where I used to take classes. I now live about half a mile away from and shop about once a week at the Home Depot where the Beltway Sniper murdered someone in the parking lot.

$hit has its way of finding you. I don’t leave the house without my gun now unless I’m traveling to hostile states or “gun free” zones, in which case I just carry my knife. If I fly, I carry my TSA-friendly tactical pen. You only have to be wrong once.

crrr6 on August 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

The instructors clearly told them to hold their weapons with the barrel facing the wrong way.

A pity, really. An opportunity missed to improve the world, one round at a time.

orangemtl on August 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Why does that one girl have so much facial hair?

Red Cloud on August 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Carnivals sideshow bearded lady.

RickB on August 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Sorry. Should have linked it this way. Not sure why tweety gives me such trouble.

Bmore on August 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM

The dark haired dolly just needs a real man to take her out to the range; she’ll be flying a Gadsden flag from her car on the way home.

Jaibones on August 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM

That “dark haired dolly” looks like my kind of girl, from way back, when I was that age.
Was Alex Halpern ever a registered commenter, here at Hotair ?

listens2glenn on August 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM

How much you want to bet that at least one of them becomes a gun enthusiast.

Ward Cleaver on August 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Your post got me thinking.

We have a 83% chance of being the victim of crime over our lifetime.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I’m having a problem with your maths. What age are you using for life expectancy? Using age 75 I come up with just over 70% chance.

NotCoach on August 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

The brunette who muzzle-swept the instructor came closer to hurting someone with a gun than I ever have in my 6 years as a concealed license holder. I winced.

3.14159 on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I used to instruct kids in beginner rifle shooting. You always have to be ready for that to happen, and be ready to block it if it does, the safety sense is just not there yet.

First hand experience is the first step toward changing opinions. The people in this video are all hardened Marxists, but you can tell that their opinions started to soften even as they became even a little more comfortable with the weapons.

Funny how that sometimes happens when blinkered intellectual certainty meets cold hard experience.

It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so.

Socratease on August 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

orangemtl on August 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

It’s like the old joke where the Aggie is in basic training, at the rifle range, and asks the instructor how to point the weapon – at the target, or at himself. The instructor says, “Either way, you’ll be doing your country a great service.”

Ward Cleaver on August 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Hillary was kinda cute, after they put the safety glasses on her.

Ward Cleaver on August 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM

OT, but super … PerryPAC’s new vid.

pambi on August 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I don’t care if they were bb guns. They are not harmless. It’s your kind of attitude that gets people inadvertantly injured or killed.

NOMOBO on August 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Uh oh. Someone did not get the joke.

stvnscott on August 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM

3.14159 on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM

The instructor reacted pretty quick to it, though.
My first couple of years hunting, I more than once had one of our older hunting partners (friends of my dad) seemingly “outta-the-blue”, say to me, “I see you’re using #4 shot, today” (we were hunting turkeys).

Me : “Yup . . . . . how’d you know ?”
Them : “I just looked right down your barrel, and saw it.”
I was dumfounded . . . . . all I could think was, “Well that was dumb … why did he do that? … He should’ve known better than to look down the barrel of a loaded gun.”

It took a few seconds to sink in . . . . .

listens2glenn on August 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Why didn’t they wear their pajamas?

WhatSlushfund on August 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Doesn’t matter, those were just harmless skeet guns. They weren’t designed to kill.

Harbingeing on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Good LORD – were you born that naive & ignorant OR did you have to attend classes to achieve such?

You MIGHT have noticed just a couple of holes in those targets from the shotgun blasts – those rounds (IMHO) were loaded with SLUGS

ANY “so-called HARMLESS” shotgun is capable of firing many DIFFERENT types / loads of shells – and even a skeet load can KILL

give yourself a Capt. Picard DOUBLE FACE PALM

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Here is something illegal to focus on, for you dummies from the Left.

But, it’s not PC…because the some dummies in China…think it’s an aphrodisiac.

Schadenfreude on August 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM

China needs to crack down a lot harder on the ivory trade. Maybe start selling the heads of traffickers to trophy collectors.

DarkCurrent on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Hmmm… I bet they are less judgmental now. What can they say after they were so opposed, the fact that some admitted anything else is proof that, opposition to guns, is a lack of education about guns!

Everyone should not have guns. But it isn’t the gun itself that is dangerous. It is the individual using it.

We need to monitor mental illness better. And there will be less gun violence.

petunia on August 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM

How much you want to bet that at least one of them becomes a gun enthusiast.

Ward Cleaver on August 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The guy. And two of the girls. Are well on their way. I hope they take their friends.

petunia on August 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM

HumpsNot on August 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

If you’re referring to my paternal twin Dork he’s off suffering the sub-tropical heat of Xiamen this week.

DarkCurrent on August 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Harbingeing on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I will not jump on the bandwagon and call you ignorant. But you did just learn the value of the /sarc tag.

photom on August 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I kind of chuckled though when the chick hit the hanger because it reminded me of this one time that I went to this really cheap range in Florida many years ago, and, to be honest, I’d had a few beers, and with the first shot of my 357 magnum, I missed the target entirely and blasted apart the whole target-pulling system, which then collapsed into the range. Thankfully, I was the only person in there at the moment, so I quickly packed up my s*it and bolted. lol. I’m sure they were pissed when they found out. I never went back to that range.

WhatSlushfund on August 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Got a friend who showed me her AR-15, fully loaded. First time I’ve ever fell in love with an inanimate object.

NewyoricanInTheSouth on August 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM

photom on August 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

The /sarc tag ruins sarcasm.

DarkCurrent on August 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM

photom on August 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Sarc tags are for the weak, and this is a long running joke based on the idiotic ramblings of one of our resident trolls.

from my understanding, a skeet gun would lack killing power as its not built to kill

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

NotCoach on August 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM

NotCoach on August 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I missed the source of the original quote. I’m well aware of her. So… never mind.

photom on August 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM

liberal mindset in action. feels good, gets guilty

archer52 on August 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM

crrr6 on August 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

You’re a man after my own heart.

Do the best you can, all the time, and you may be ready if something happens. Half a$$ it, and you won’t.

applebutter on August 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM

The over and under on this? Probably three out of the five come to understand firearms and appreciate both sides’ positions.

(1) The chunky brunette in the brown top is definitely gonna own a couple of .38s (in addition to the ones she already has), an M1911A1, an AR-15, and will attend an AK-47 build before she’s a granny.

(2) The black-haired girl and (3) the black girl are leaners.

(4) The blond will probably snooze her life away until she is raped.

(5) Pajama boy guy will continue trolling the Santa Monica beaches’ restrooms for “companionship”.

The War Planner on August 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM

In the lede picture, that shot of Hillary reminds me of Michelle Duggar. I’m sure she’d be horrified.

Ward Cleaver on August 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Uh…. lady, this fun thing IS legal.

Der!

RUexperienced on August 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I wish we could stop calling them “liberals”. They’re statist authoritarians who don’t believe in the power of the individual, ranging from social/economic welfare to something as fundamental as defense of one’s own life. Calling them “liberals” is an insult to the English language.

Ettanin on August 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 19, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Jaibones on August 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I agree. Her liberal friends are going to go berserk when she goes over to the dark side.

BuckeyeSam on August 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM

lol, yes I think we are all in agreement. She just needs some proper direction by a nice conservative type and she will be on our side. Hopefully.

arnold ziffel on August 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

NotCoach on August 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Yep, she’s never going to live that down. Pity she’s too stupid to ever understand the joke.

Oldnuke on August 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I am shocked, shocked, that that guy has never shot a gun before. He looks like your typical masculine American male. A real meat and potatoes guy. /s

The Notorious G.O.P on August 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM

When my son was in college he brought his then current girlfriend home for a weekend visit. Little Japanese girl about 80lbs soaking wet. Being from Japan she had never even seen a gun, much less fired one. She asked if I would let her shoot one of mine, she wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I said, “Of course”. I chose a Colt .45 auto just for effect. Took her to the range gave her the safety course, showed her the basics of the pistol, loaded one round. She picked it up took the stance as I had showed her and fired away. Mouth fell open, eyes went wide stunned look on face. She then put the gun down turned to me and said “Ooohh, I do again?”

Oldnuke on August 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Hey, don’t just roll over and go to sleep. What about the gun’s needs?

hawksruleva on August 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM

The one lady didn’t really seem to understand that gunpowder was a thing.

hawksruleva on August 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Hey, don’t just roll over and go to sleep. What about the gun’s needs?

hawksruleva on August 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM

What? The gun got off.

But they do like a good rub-down with oil afterwards….

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM

And we missed a chance to have them ‘shoulder fire’ a .50 cal rifle… darn! Hehehehe

OregonPolitician on August 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM

give yourself a Capt. Picard DOUBLE FACE PALM

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Never drink and capitalize.

thejackal on August 19, 2014 at 4:34 PM

thejackal on August 19, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I only WISH it was late enough in the day for a tasty libation!

What’s YOUR excuse?

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

NotCoach on August 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

One was a stat for violent crime.

Second was all crime (violent and non-violent).

The definitions for violent and non-violent crime is up for discussion, but I went by the FBI’s definition; which I am familiar with.

HonestLib on August 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM

“GUNS ARE FUN”

great argument.

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Cannot wait for the next article: “Anti-masturbation advocates try masturbating for the first time.”

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM

“Wait until marriage advocates try pre-marital sex for the first time.”

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Living near Seattle for 32 years, I’ve taken at least 20 anti-gun liberals shooting.
ALL of them liked it, some loved it, one bought a gun and took classes, became an actual shooter.
A girl! She found out guys think girls with guns are hawt, just sayin’

The ones who immediately snapped ‘no’ when invited to shoot, all expenses paid, with me, a multiply certified instructor, were astounded when their cohorts returned displaying their best target, all proud.

That’s the key, btw, with first-time shooters, to have them shoot a clean target and take it home.

The brunette who wanted to come back shooting… Hawt.

Tard on August 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Harbingeing on August 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

give yourself a Capt. Picard DOUBLE FACE PALM

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I think you missed it. He was referring to one of our trolls, who famously made a fool of himself making a similar statement. We figured everyone knew.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM

everdiso is scared of boomsticks.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I love the smell of liberal scum in the morning.

Tard on August 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

everdiso is scared of boomsticks.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM

He wants to force the nutty style of gun control that he has in Canada on us.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

“GUNS ARE FUN”
great argument.
everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Great argument for what? And what would be your great counter for this strange argument you believe this to be?

They were good sports about exploring a subject of which they are clearly in total ignorance over their very strong opinion. Is your argument that they should remain in their ignorance? Do tell…

anuts on August 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM

*roger that* – I won’t ever claim I have the time or take the time to read every thread from beginning to end………

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM

give yourself a Capt. Picard DOUBLE FACE PALM

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Might be easier to get the joke if you checked the gun threads more frequently:

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Maddie on August 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM

He wants to force the nutty style of gun control that he has in Canada on us.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

yeah, those crazy canucks have it completely backwards, eh?

what’s their gun death rate, anyways?

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

He wants to force the nutty style of gun control that he has in Canada on us.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

yeah, those crazy canucks have it completely backwards, eh?

what’s their gun death rate, anyways?

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

You live there, you tell us.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM

The Associated Press @AP
Florida woman shoots 7-year-old grandson after mistaking him for an intruder, sheriff’s office says apne.ws/1uTy55L

those poor dumb canucks. what do they know?

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Lester apparently doesn’t know why certain things make the news.

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:47 PM

we live in a country where grandmas shooting their 7 year old grandkids isn’t news?

ach.

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I love shooting my handgun. I really do. Nothing like the feeling of looking for bullets on a Friday night and Saturday morning when you found them.

Buckshots on August 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Well, that went right over lester’s head. Like non-lethal skeet. Or rubber earplug bullets.

Puppy sick again, or did he run out of candy?

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Hi everdiso, I’m still curious about the answers for my 5:23 post. Thanks in advance.

anuts on August 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

yeah, those crazy canucks have it completely backwards, eh?
what’s their gun death rate, anyways?

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

If law-abiding citizens aren’t allowed to have guns, for everyone’s safety of course, then the gun death rate should be zero. Odd that it isn’t.

And in Canada, knife deaths now equal gun deaths.
But I’m sure it’s so much better to be stabbed to death than shot by a skeery gun….

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

“GUNS ARE FUN”
great argument.

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Yes they are.
And yes it is.

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

yeah, those crazy canucks have it completely backwards, eh?
what’s their gun death rate, anyways?

everdiso on August 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

And how about those safety conscious Australians who banned most guns in 1997?
Hmmm – seems it didn’t quite go as planned…..

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM

My first time shooting with my now-wife-of-34-years, a NY/NJ urbanite who thought only criminals had guns, went thusly:

Friend explains the workings of his Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum, hands it to her and shows her how to aim and fire at a concrete block about 30 yds away. A bang, the block vanishes, we feel bits of concrete block raining down on us, and she yells “Damn, that was FUN!”

We have a pretty nice collection now.

JamesS on August 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

JamesS on August 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Like I said above – yes they are fun.

Spent Sunday afternoon at the range with my wife and oldest son with several of our “toys”. After shooting her Ruger 10/22 and Colt AR-15, my wife finally got around to trying our son’s AK-47 – she’s been saying for awhile she wants one of her own. Fired a couple shots and decided it kicks a bit harder than her AR-15 and has a harder narrower butt, so she really didn’t like it or want one after all.

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

He wants to force the nutty style of gun control that he has in Canada on us.

slickwillie2001 on August 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

yeah, those crazy canucks have it completely backwards, eh?

what’s their gun death rate, anyways?

lester on August 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Know who has the highest gun death rate, lester? The Socialist “paradise” known as the island of Jamaica.

PS, still waiting for your “proof” that unarmed black kids get shot by the cops every day. When you find credible and multi-sourced proof, we’ll stop laughing at you.

Del Dolemonte on August 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

We have a pretty nice collection now.

JamesS on August 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Even before doing much shooting, my wife went that direction when the Dems started talking about gun bans. She declared – “I want at least one of everything they want to ban”.

I guess I made the right decision keeping her around for 26 years… ;)

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Wow…Pajama Boy and Blossom in the same vid…sweet.

MaxSplinters on August 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

And if you discount just a few US cities with the strictest gun control laws, and coincidently the most black on black gang-banger killings – like Chicago, DC, LA, and maybe a couple others – the US gun death rate falls below EVERY other “civilized” country in the world.

dentarthurdent on August 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Hey Ned Pepper,

I’m glad to see you felt “bad as$ed” after firing that weapon. But seriously, where did you get that rocking’ tee-shirt?

Oh, and I thought you were taller…and older.

USNCVN on August 19, 2014 at 7:01 PM

What…no black targets?

trs on August 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Oh the stories that Pajama Boy will be able to tell while enjoying hot cocoa now that he’s shot a gun.

Flange on August 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Hey, he felt badass. Maybe for the first time.

Maybe he’ll get addicted to the feeling and try other manly pursuits.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM

What…no black targets?

trs on August 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Damn… I waded through this whole thread and finally got to the thread WINNER!!!

44Magnum on August 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

CurtZHP on August 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Katfish on August 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM

It gets easier once you give up working. And sleeping.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM

What does it tell you when you have 650 rounds for your AR?

That you need more ammo!

claudius on August 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Wow, I finally got to watch the video – pretty cool, especially the girl that said she’d probably do it again.

Ward Cleaver on August 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM

It is only a “w” if the intention is to use it to harm. Otherwise we surrender the language to people who do not like us or our possession of firearms.

Johnny on August 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Yo Dent, TMI.

Johnny on August 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Guess my other post never made it out of moderation. I Suppose we have to be nice to Libs now.

“Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya, Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya…”

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 20, 2014 at 6:15 AM

The War Planner on August 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM

But will feel like a bad ass doing it.

roy_batty on August 20, 2014 at 7:22 AM

“This is a fun thing, but not every fun thing is legal,” another noted.

Yeah – like having religious beliefs that preclude you from funding an abortion. That’s fun, AND illegal! I’m “badass”.

CycloneCDB on August 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM