“Heads up high”: The Cumberland Little League consolation speech

posted at 6:11 pm on August 19, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, an instant smash online after the little scrappers were eliminated last night, 8-7, in the Little League World Series.

America needs this after a tough week. Maybe send this guy to Ferguson to huddle with the cops and protesters?

Comments

Outstanding. We need more people like him coaching America’s kids and pushing that kind of message.

Bitter Clinger on August 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Coach hell, how about president.

jmtham156 on August 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

That was a PHENOMENAL game to watch live. Being ANY part of that is a lifetime memory.

michaelo on August 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I wish I’d had a coach like that.

trigon on August 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Instant Classic is right.

Sacramento on August 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

It’s the beginning of his 15 minutes of fame. I hope it ends well.

Ward Cleaver on August 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM

This guy is classy and he is a white male. Do you really think that the folks in Ferguson would listen to him?

crosshugger on August 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Neat-o.

Galtian on August 19, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Awesome!

gophergirl on August 19, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I’ve been coaching girls’ basketball since 1999.

This guy gets it.

My record is 102-20, with five division titles, four undefeated seasons and five tournament championships.

You don’t reach his level without loving the kids you coach, and letting them know it.

He let them know it.

Now, I need to do something about the dust in this room.

Signed, Coach Dave

Conservative Mischief on August 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Bravo. And you’re right about this being the week to see something outstanding!

scalleywag on August 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Class act..total class act.

And, so right in what he said…winners are great, but we like fighters, people who dig in and don’t give up…falling short, but dirt on their hands…we love fighters.

right2bright on August 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Very Nice!

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Really needed that! Thanks AP

CoffeeLover on August 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

What a great coach! You can hear the kids trying to control sobs, but he brought tears to my eyes.

Christian Conservative on August 19, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh something…in…..my…eye……………

Those kids crying killed me. That coach, incredible. :) Sweet video.

Bee on August 19, 2014 at 7:02 PM

A man is never so big as when he stoops to help a child. This man is HUGE!!!

bimmcorp on August 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Wow! What a class act.

My guess is Coach was as good at encouraging kids’ improvements in their skills, as well as bucking them up when needed.

In my day, a long, long time ago, all our coaches seemed to do was yell at us. Perhaps it had to do with them all having served in WWII or Korea, and their role models were drill sergeants. (Same with our Scout leaders.)

ugottabekiddingme on August 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Maybe send this guy to Ferguson to huddle with the cops and protesters?

Nah … this guy is way out of the league of the latter …

ShainS on August 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I want to hear more about these kind of coaches.

Good on you, sir.

Those boys will remember your kindness and discipline and take it with them throughout their whole lives.

portlandon on August 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Thanks for this AP. This coach is quite an inspiration. We need more like him and less like the hate-mongers among us.

vamp57mw on August 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I want to hear more about these kind of coaches.

Good on you, sir.

portlandon on August 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

And I’ll wager that they will be better men from losing, than had they won the game.

bimmcorp on August 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM

A man is never so big as when he stoops to help a child. This man is HUGE!!!

bimmcorp on August 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM

AMEN to that, bimmcorp.

vamp57mw on August 19, 2014 at 7:16 PM

you really need to pair this clip with the coach’s speech from saturday’s victory. going into the 6th and final inning, new england was ahead 5-2 against southeast, the team from tennessee. southeast scored 5 runs in the top of the 6th to take a 7-5 lead. obviously the kids from rhode island felt like they blew their chance and coach dave belisle gave a rousing pep talk that began with, “We got the hammer! We got the home team! We’re putting 3 on the board!”

most of you should be able to watch espn through your cable provider. if you want to see the speech go to 2:05:30 on the watch espn link for game 12… southest vs new england.

dbilly76 on August 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I needed that pep talk. Thanks Coach, you did good and so did your team.

whatcat on August 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I’ve coached & managed in Little League.

That coach definitely gets it – I wish everyone involved in Little League had that attitude.

BD57 on August 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Thanks Alla , I might have missed that .

Lucano on August 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I was laid up with a broken back in ’02 when I began watching the LLWS and have seen a lot of good stuff since, but Coach Belisle takes the cake. He’s been a one man good will show ever since he arrived. Good luck to the entire RI team in the future.

Hucklebuck on August 19, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Nice.

Not great, mind you.

Yes. I realize I’m in the minority. Things are so screwed up in this country that a mediocre speech -followed by a lame a** group hug, no less- is thought of as awesome inspiration.

Nothing personal against the coach; I have no doubt he meant what he said and that it meant something important to those kids, I just felt is was a little too ‘special snowflake’.

BKeyser on August 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Darn, made me cry.

Mason on August 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I’ll also add that I am from IL but taking very little joy in our team’s play. The guys look like a HS varsity team, and many are larger than me.

The RI kids, by contrast, looked and acted like 12 year olds. Goofiness and all. What a bunch.

Hucklebuck on August 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM

BKeyser on August 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You are dead inside.

And I’ll wager you’ve never worn a jockstrap.

Hucklebuck on August 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Huddle up, Hot Air.

“Americans!”

Fallon on August 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Hucklebuck on August 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Well, you’d wager wrong.

Now bet I never served in the Corps…

BKeyser on August 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Good speech and a good man.

I remember when I was 14 I was the QB on my conference league football team. We lost the championship game on a bad call by the referee late in the game. The coaches were screaming and all the parents were upset. Driving home with my Dad he told me we had played a good game. But sometimes you just lose. I never forgot it and it has helped me overcome disappointment many times. My Dad was a good man too.

DeweyWins on August 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Sounds like an ESPN scripted and manufactured moment to me.

lowandslow on August 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I had a great comment typed up, and the page refreshed, and BOOM it was gone.
(Some of us can’t type fast)
To summarize, get out there and do what this coach did and spread your knowledge and love of the game to our youth,whether it’s football or baseball or softball or hockey. (Okay,soccer too.)And through it show our set of values. This is how we reach the yutes of America. Get involved with the local city leagues and start a revolution.
Because our values are reflected in the purest form of competitive youth sports.

Bruce in Fort Worth on August 19, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Sounds like an ESPN scripted and manufactured moment to me.

lowandslow on August 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Maybe it’s the cynic in me, maybe it’s the outright crassness ESPN has displayed in the past, but this was my thought as well. It seemed too staged; the coach huddling the kids around him, on the field, the multiple angle shots. Almost like a documentary on the team had already been concocted and they were following a storyboard.

Mitoch55 on August 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Is the accent annoying to anyone else? I liked the speech, though.

SouthernGent on August 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Mitoch55 on August 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Perhaps a whole different speech if ESPN cameras weren’t prying.

My wrestling coach in high school was always tough on all of us. Even at the end of the season in the state tournament, someone lost, he said “You should have put some more effort in and practiced more and MAYBE then you would have won” and that was it.

He was such a prick, but I learned more from that man than I did from most of my classes and I wouldn’t have traded that experience for anything.

He didn’t give out congratulations for losing, but I guess this is where we are in the “everyone gets a trophy” society.

nazo311 on August 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Thanks to all the volunteer Pop Warner League coaches who helped me pursue a dream.

BigAlSouth on August 20, 2014 at 5:54 AM

Thought that was Pete Rose in the pic when I first saw it…

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM

LOVE IT!!!

Cindy Munford on August 20, 2014 at 8:40 AM

This was a great speech and great reminder by the coach. Baseball is a game of failure and continuing on in spite of it. Don’t believe me? Show me another activity you can fail 7 times out of 10 and make $15 million a year.

His speech wasn’t geared toward making them feel like “special snowflakes.” It was a reminder of how far they came (the number of games played to even get to the LLWS is tremendous so yes, playing there is a reward in itself), that there can often times be only one winner, that there is virtue in having played the game hard and inspired people by doing so, and, most importantly, that this isn’t the end of anything but another opportunity to persevere and improve in the face of temporary defeat.

I’ve given many end-of-season speeches (not in LLWS or anything close) and didn’t even come close to nailing the message like he did.

Rufus on August 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Thanks for this AP. I’ve seen many a youth coach yell and scream at the team for losing an important game. This coach (and the team) took the loss with grace and dignity.

My eldest son and I watch this tournament every year. Japan as usual appears to be the international favorite. My son and I are rooting for Pennsylvania to meet them in the final to see if Mo’ne Davis can shut ‘em down.

rukiddingme on August 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Yikes! I’ve gone and jinxed both teams. South Korea beat Japan and Nevada is beating Pennsylvania.

*sigh*

rukiddingme on August 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Hillary Clinton. Secretary of State.

GEAH on August 21, 2014 at 2:21 AM