Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on August 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

FERGUSON, Mo.—Protesters here began smashing glass windows and looting local businesses early Saturday morning, before others calling for calm stepped in and barricaded broken windows to prevent further theft…

Just after midnight, protesters who had been content to stay on the sidewalks all Friday moved en masse into the streets and confronted police officers, who donned riot gear and drove up in armored vehicles for the first time since Wednesday…

Young men in masks kicked in the front door of a liquor store, and began looting bottles. The glass door of a beauty-supply store was also kicked in, but other men quickly stood guard to prevent looters from going in…

For almost an hour, some protesters were able to protect businesses from looters, but then the crowds grew in size and strength. The looters pushed through, first going into the liquor store, Ferguson Market and Liquor, which had been raided briefly earlier in the night.

***

“This is wonderful. This is what should have happened a long time ago,” Robert Powell, 42, said as he watched looters during the night hop through the shattered glass door of a meat market…

He dismissed the looters as “suburban nerds” likely to get busted. But after years of living in a town in which he said African American men are singled out for harsh treatment by the police, he shared the looters’ frustration.

He gestured to surrounding businesses, whose fluorescent lights were now shattered, their parking lots strewn with broken bottles.

“They support these police, give them free food. People just got tired of it,” he said.

***

Police presence is in question after St. Louis County and Missouri State Highway Patrol officers left the scene in Ferguson once looters began attacking businesses overnight.

Protesters believe the media has started to confuse the difference between themselves and the looters. Fights have begun on the streets as well as social media with some believing this has become similar to a game of chess.

According to one peaceful protester, several of them literally put their bodies in between the looters and the different businesses. She feels their efforts were forced after several police officers got into their cars and drove away.

***

I recall a television interview with Columbia University professor John McWhorter (it may have been on the Charlie Rose Show; I couldn’t find a reference to it online) in which he described being stopped by police in Oakland, Calif. McWhorter was walking across a street and jaywalked in front of a police car, an offense so trifling he was surprised when the officer stopped him. I can’t recall all of the details, but while McWhorter was upset by the experience, he came to understand it later.

He described the unwritten contract between the police and the community in places like Oakland, where one would think a petty affront to the commonweal like jaywalking should hardly warrant a police officer’s attention. But this unwritten contract, as McWhorter described it, places demands on both the police and the community. Under the contract, police officers ignore minor infractions like jaywalking, but they expect the community not to flout the law, even a minor one, in their presence. Thus when McWhorter jaywalked, the officer took it as a violation of the contract and a challenge, one that could not be ignored…

When the Ferguson officer drove onto the block and saw Michael Brown and his friend walking down the middle of the street, he expected them to move to the sidewalk as soon as they realized a police car was approaching. When they didn’t, the officer took it as a violation of the contract, even a challenge. Which in a way it was.

***

***

[I]n the end, my own answer to a question like “how do you feel about cops?” depends heavily on what I fear the most, what I want or need to be protected from, and how serious the threat of disorder at a given moment seems. If the crime rate is sky-high, and the cops seem handcuffed and/or outnumbered and outgunned, then the answer is more likely to be: I feel like cops deserve more support, more money, and in most cases the benefit of the doubt. But if − as is currently the case − the crime rate has been falling for two decades, and we’ve entered an age defined by security theater, city-wide lockdowns and cops armed more heavily than National Guardsmen used to be, then my answer is likely to be different, more skeptical, less deferential to the men in blue. (Or, in this case, camouflage.) That isn’t because severe police abuses don’t exist in high-crime eras, or because aggressive policing tactics don’t help contribute to lower crime rates, or because we’ve entered some sort of crime-free utopia today in which every tough-on-crime policy can be safely abandoned. (We haven’t.) It’s because we have to live by generalizations, at least to some extent, and the generalizations about cops and police tactics implied by the landscape of, say, 1968 or 1977 or 1991 are necessarily different from the generalizations implied by the American landscape of today…

So am I more of a police skeptic, a civil libertarian now on these issues, and is my generation more libertarian, than the conservatives who supported tough-on-crime policies in the age of Nixon and Reagan and Bush I? Well, yes, but not necessarily in a way that necessarily speaks to a fundamental shift in first principles or underlying ideological beliefs. Rather, we’re responding to what we’ve lived through and seen happen, in the same way that an earlier generation did. Or to rewrite a famous quip about ideology and experience, if the experience of the ’60s and ’70s didn’t make you a little more pro-law-and-order, you might not have a brain; if the experience of the 2000s and 2010s haven’t made you a little more skeptical of expansive police powers − well, you might not have one either.

***

[I]n the two decades since, violent crime has dropped and dropped. As a result, public attitudes have softened. The percentage of Americans who favor the death penalty for murderers, which hit 80 percent in 1994, fell to 60 percent last year. Even more importantly, crime has virtually disappeared as a political issue. In 1994, according to the University of Albany, 37 percent of Americans cited crime or violence as the “most important problem facing the country.” By 2012, it was 2 percent.

It’s not that many of the white conservatives who once voted Republican because of their fear of crime no longer harbor racialized fears about illegality and public disorder. They still do. But to a large degree, those fears have shifted from black crime to Latino immigration. And this shift has given Paul and other Republicans the space to challenge harsh police tactics and sentencing policies without incurring the wrath of their party base.

In intriguing ways, Rand Paul in 2014 is the mirror image of Bill Clinton in 1992. Clinton won white votes by confronting their stereotype of Democrats as soft on black crime. Paul is trying to win black and other minority votes by confronting their stereotype of Republicans as indifferent to white racism. By 1992, the rise of crime had made liberal Democrats so desperate that they were willing to accept Clinton’s embrace of policies that made them uncomfortable. Today, demographic change is making some conservative Republicans desperate enough to accept Paul’s embrace of policies that make them uncomfortable. If Republicans are smart, they will heed the shifting politics of crime and follow Paul’s lead.

***

Ferguson was hardly a happy suburban garden spot until the shooting of Michael Brown. Ferguson is about two-thirds black, and 28 percent of those black residents live below the poverty line. The median income is well below the Missouri average, and Missouri is hardly the nation’s runaway leader in economic matters. More than 60 percent of the births in the city of St. Louis (and about 40 percent in St. Louis County) are out of wedlock…

The more progressive the city, the worse a place it is to be poor and/or black. The most pronounced economic inequality in the United States is not in some Republican redoubt in Texas but in San Francisco, an extraordinarily expensive city in which half of all black households make do with less than $25,000 a year. Blacks in San Francisco are arrested on drug felonies at ten times their share of the general population. At 6 percent of the population, they represent 40 percent of those arrested for homicides. Whether you believe that that is the result of a racially biased criminal-justice system or the result of higher crime incidence related to socioeconomic conditions within black communities (or some combination of those factors) what is undeniable is that results for black Americans are far worse in our most progressive, Democrat-dominated cities than they are elsewhere. The progressives have had the run of things for a generation in these cities, and the results are precisely what you see…

The Reverend Jackson should not be surprised that places such as Ferguson, Mo., have feckless police departments. He himself has spent his career helping to ensure that they have feckless schools, self-serving bureaucracies, rapacious public-sector unions pillaging the municipal fisc, and malevolent political leadership that is by no means above exploiting racial sentiment in order to hold on to power. His allies have been running U.S. cities for a generation, and it takes a considerable measure of brass for him to come in decrying the results as though he had no hand in them.

***

***

Via Reason TV.

***

Via Gateway Pundit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Good evening ladies and gents.

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Ratso?

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM

No outrage over the new sheriff in town not doing a damn thing to help the shop owners.

Bishop!

Patriot Vet on August 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Good evening ladies and gents.

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Speak for yourself.

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

davidk, you need to toss up that link to the Dana radio show again.

John the Libertarian on August 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Ratso?

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM

^This

Patriot Vet on August 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Ferguson is going to be burnt to the ground by the time this is over.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Does anyone else but me find Rand Paul ‘Dukakis-esque?’

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM

No. It was. They just didn’t care.

Patriot Vet on August 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM

If I may, I think we need to discuss a serious subject before we go too far off the rails tonight. It has been a pretty rough couple of months for our trolls. I know we have reached pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to trolls, but if they don’t get some good news real soon, we might loose even these pathetic 0bama sycophants.

Every time they think something will go their way, it turns to crap right in front of them and they don’t have the mental capacity to adjust. The two latest examples, Ferguson and Perry, tuned on them so quickly the poor fools were lost. Most have done what idiot trolls do and they ran away. Others are bereft of self worth, or even a life, that they have to come by just to interact with life forms capable of more than eating and crapping. It is something they dream of attaining but are not quite capable of acquiring the intelligence to do so.

If something isn’t done to save them soon, I am afraid they will just slink away and without even the kind of contact they get here, they might cease to exist completely. And since the high mucky-mucks here need trolls to drive page hits and add to the comment count, they will have to have another open registration. And who knows what kind of trolls we will get then, with an election so close.

I propose we try the Cindy Munford maneuver and be nice to them. If it works, they may become civil and we could have actual debates instead of the usual crap they spew. If it doesn’t work, the exercise could be such a shock to them that their heads will explode. And that would be okay too.

That is all.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Ferguson is going to be burnt to the ground by the time this is over.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM

And they will blame everyone but the ones that did the burning.

Patriot Vet on August 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Let’s hold a candlelight vigil for the trolls and then go burn down a Quiktrip.

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Lovely and touching PSA, cozmo.

John the Libertarian on August 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Lovely and touching PSA, cozmo.

John the Libertarian on August 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I know I shed a tear

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM

That is all.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM

How come my keyboard ain’t gots that many words?

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Ratso!

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM

So Obama was golfing during Maj General Greene’s funeral.

The sad thing is I’m not surprised at all.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Nothing says “I demand Justice” like looting liquor stores.

KW64 on August 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I thought only white people lived in Missouri.

wolly4321 on August 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Good evening ladies and gents.

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM

First tonight and what a nice fine lady you are. Me, just and old perv that is mad I ant’s ats The Villages!

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Blah blah blah! It’s QOTD time!

Say to no militarized police in American cities

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I’m looking at the pictures on Gateway Pundit.

I know I shouldn’t laugh but the dude on the right – how the hell was he able to loot with his pants half way down his legs.

Oh and it looks like the Black Panthers are leading a death chant for the officer. Put him in witness relocation now – trial can come later if need be.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

A repeat? Isn’t once enough?

Barred on August 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Blah blah blah! It’s QOTD time!

Say to no militarized police in American cities

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

You know, I have tried to yak at you, but I guess I ain’t gots what it takes. You might be surprised with the conversation if, and this is a big if, you are really a black chick. If not, then you have not been honest.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I would go get something to eat but there is a gray hair-covered thing on my lap.

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I can’t imagine why the police would ever think to respond to a riot in riot gear. To do otherwise would be like going to the beach in a three piece suit.

NOMOBO on August 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM

So, coz is saying lets put away the camo pants and turn off the MRAPS, and try some kinder and gentler community troll interactions?

Yeah, no.
Cozmo just hates pants, camo or regular.

Dolce Far Niente on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Today has been a busy day on the net. Lots of fascists to take on.

I don’t know why people keep asking me if I am really black. Who the heck pretends to be black?

Yes I am black. Did you have a question about black people you wanted to ask me?

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Hush woman. Nobody knows yet we have hooked up!

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

You ever drink a 40 of Steel Reserve?

No wonder there pizzed off. Like that tribe that took on the English. Zulu’s

wolly4321 on August 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Sophie Ro @SophieRo3 · 9h

@ESPN_LGrand Where have libertarians been???? Dude, I’ve been screaming about the militarisation of the police for years!!!

Sophie Ro @SophieRo3 · 9h

@ESPN_LGrand Some of us, Libertarians, HAVE been ALL OVER the MILITARISATION of the HOMELAND for AGES (& we don’t wear aluminium hats) :)

Sophie Ro @SophieRo3 · 9h

@ESPN_LGrand Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/mxxnot8 SEVEN 49,000# MRAPs delivered to tiny towns in IA. In one, Wash., the pop is only 7,326.

Sophie Ro @SophieRo3 · 9h

@ESPN_LGrand I’ve been warning people that it’s becoming impossible to discern who is the cop in Kokomo & who is the soldier in Kandahar.

Resist We Much on August 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Hush woman. Nobody knows yet we have hooked up!

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I never kiss and tell.

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Bishbop!

BallisticBob on August 16, 2014 at 8:56 PM

This writer is obviously from a Mirror Universe. One in which the Democrats don’t like gun control, “assault weapon” bans, and midnight basketball on the taxpayers’ nickel.

In our timeline, Bill and the Dems went full-left crazy for two years, and were then brought up short by the 1994 midterm election, when they lost control of both houses of Congress for the first time since the Eisenhower administration.

The One, and this generation of Dems, haven’t yet taken the hint.

clear ether

eon

eon on August 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Blah blah blah! It’s QOTD time!
Say to no militarized police in American cities
coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Yes that is a problem. But do you think it is the problem in Ferguson?

anuts on August 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Cards up 7 over vikings

Football is back

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Cards up 7 over vikings

Football is back

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I’m watching the same game. Are your preseason announcers as bad as ours. I have to watch the game on mute.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM

You cant be shouting hands up and then whine if the cops are going to look the other way

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Today has been a busy day on the net. Lots of fascists to take on.

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Don’t be silly, if I had a question about black people, I would call my step-father or an ex-wife. Geez, I guess I could even ask a few of my kids. Do I have a question about black people. No. Forget I asked.

Was going to yak about how minorities are harassed by the police from 100′s of first hand accounts.

Wish you well.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Does anyone else but me find Rand Paul ‘Dukakis-esque?’

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Well, Paul seems to be bending over backwards in trying to appeal to traditionally Democratic constituencies like blacks and illegals. Not there’s anything wrong with that, but to do so almost obsessively and by taking positions that are contrary to the conservative base, is not a winning strategy.

anotherJoe on August 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Something that has puzzled me for quite a while is why the Hot Air logo at the bottom of the headline articles directs the reader back to the top of the page, while on blog articles it directs the reader back to the home page. Such inconsistencies are troubling.

NOMOBO on August 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Alleged Friend Of Officer Darren Wilson Offers His Side
“He pulled up ahead of them. And then he got a call-in that there was a strong-arm robbery. And, they gave a description. And, he’s looking at them and they got something in their hands and it looks like it could be what, you know those cigars or whatever. So he goes in reverse back to them. Tries to get out of his car. They slam his door shut violently. I think he said Michael did. And, then he opened the car again. He tried to get out. He stands up.
And then Michael just bum-rushes him and shoves him back into his car. Punches him in the face and them Darren grabs for his gun. Michael grabbed for the gun. At one point he got the gun entirely turned against his hip. And he shoves it away. And the gun goes off.
Well, then Michael takes off and gets to be about 35 feet away. And, Darren’s first protocol is to pursue. So, he stands up and yells, “Freeze!” Michael and his friend turn around. And Michael taunts him… And then all the sudden he just started bumrushing him. He just started coming at him full speed. And, so he just started shooting. And, he just kept coming. And, so he really thinks he was on something.”
The woman said that she came by the details via Wilson’s significant other. After I hung up she called back and told my programming direction that her relationship to the named officer is legitimate. I haven’t personally vetted the association, but wanted to post the audio for comparison to the pending results of the investigation.

Thanks to gatewayypundit for transcript

This makes sense.

gracie on August 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM

NO PEACE IN LOOTERVILLE!

Blake on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Well, not a question about black people in general. It would be unfair for you to shoulder that kind of burden. And I know some black folks whose opinions I trust. But, when you see video like that coming out of Ferguson, do you have an overwhelming urge to break, and steal, stuff that isn’t yours?

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Hey GG

No our announcers are pretty decent

*clink*

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

When a town becomes less than 97% caucasian, it is time to sell your home and move. If you delay, you end up living in a town like ferguson, in a house that is now worth 17,000 dollars.

Exninja on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Let’s hold a candlelight vigil for the trolls and then go burn down a Quiktrip.

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yeaaahhhhh!!!!!

BallisticBob on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Cards up 7 over vikings

Football is back

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Hubs is watching the Texans because he is a glutton for punishment.

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM

My Aunt and Uncle brought me homemade pickles from my Grandma’s recipe.

I’ve eaten way too many but damn are they good.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Exninja on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

That ninja job didn’t work for you so well.

It doesn’t look like coherent commenting will either.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Dallas appears to be in mid season form.

BallisticBob on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

cozmo, she ain’t quite right. They looked at her funny one time in Alabama and now she has PASD.

arnold ziffel on August 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM

The New Black Panthers are leading a march in Ferguson, Missouri tonight. Over a thousand people are marching.

The Black Panther are chanting:

What do we want? – Darren Wilson How do we want him? – Dead

sentinelrules on August 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Exninja on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Stop. This is a nice place to yap. Must be another troll.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Ferguson is located just east of the St Louis Airport and just outside of the St. Louis city limits. Here are two set of statistics which are overwhelming: 1) 856,796 2) 318,069. 1) Is the population of St Louis in 1950. 2) Is the population of St Louis now–a drop pf 269%. These figures speak for themselves–it’s called voting with your feet.

MaiDee on August 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM

A problem with Rand Paul is that the liberal class are not seeing his true self which is anti-entitlement and welfare state to the core. The major problem is that if Paul would ever be nominated that’s all we’d hear about from the MSM and Hillary, how Paul wants to eliminate Social Security and medicare and etc etc. I’m all for those things, but Paul better start talking about that now to see if the public will accept his bold plans instead of waiting until after he was nominated. And quit with all the sideshows about the militarized police, that’s a minor point compared to the bigger and radical anti-govt spending positions Paul takes.

anotherJoe on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Cool you are lurking….lets have a conversation about race in the open. Don’t be like Libby.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

MaiDee on August 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM

A mini-Detroit.

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

So is Nixon up for re-election in November? Cause I’m thinking he’s in trouble if he is.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Oh please no – not tonight.

It will ruin the QOTD thread tonight

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

My response to every post tonight:

“You’re a riot”

/art imitates life

LashRambo on August 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

My Aunt and Uncle brought me homemade pickles from my Grandma’s recipe.

I’ve eaten way too many but damn are they good.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Chicks burb and say ‘cuse me. Men fart and laugh.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

sentinelrules on August 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, I’m thinking that curfew is not going to work out so well for them, either.

Johnson is in for a long, brutal night and no one deserves it more.

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Nope, theirs is the same as presidential elections. But Nixon is term limited.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Let’s hold a candlelight vigil for the trolls and then go burn down a Quiktrip.

Corporal Tunnel on August 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM

As long as it’s for the children

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

How does burning down your own neighborhoods help your “cause”? I’ve always wanted to hear a clear, logical and educated response to that question and I think you are uniquely qualified to answer.

HotAirian on August 16, 2014 at 9:14 PM

A mini-Detroit.

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Where they burn down houses for an evening’s entertainment with a family reunion and a barbecue to boot.

gracie on August 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Cards up 7 over vikings

Football is back

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up, had to turn on that infernal TV machine. Knew I still had it around for sumthin.

whatcat on August 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM

After today, he needs to take his politician-hair and just go.

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Uh-oh.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Oh please no – not tonight.

It will ruin the QOTD thread tonight

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Seems I can ruin a funeral. Chuckle! You know, I read your comments all the time, but we never yap. Wish you well. I am sad as COL ignores me!!!

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Say to no militarized police in American cities

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Say no to militarized rozzers in British cities.

F X Muldoon on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Yeaaahhhhh!!!!!

BallisticBob on August 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Better version:

BuckeyeSam on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

You’re wasting your time. She doesn’t want an open and honest discussion on race.

She just likes to drop little quotes or links and then runs.

Barred on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

My Aunt and Uncle brought me homemade pickles from my Grandma’s recipe.

I’ve eaten way too many but damn are they good.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Homemade are always better. I even made some once and they were far better than store bought.

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Who the heck pretends to be black?

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Um…

Fallon on August 16, 2014 at 9:19 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I hear ya. One of my first interactions with her was a pretty scathing rebuttal of some point she made. Since then I’ve been in the same boat. Ha!

anuts on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

crankyoldlady on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

They really are. My MIL made the BEST bread ‘n butter pickles!

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

My ma’ always won blue and purple ribbons at the county fair for her bread and butter pickles. I hate sweet pickles…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

:) I’m not a troll fan. People on here are much snarkier and better responders than I am. I just wish they would go away. They ruin the place in my opinion.

Wish you well too.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Uh-oh.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Took a few garage queens out today and had a blast. Son got his 1997 Cobra SVT out the paint shop this week and we had some fun. Of course 300 wimpy hp weren’t no match for 560hp, but he keep up.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Won’t it be just wonderful when the police are outside your neighborhood and a mob is about to run rampant through it, and the police and just pick up and go. I think police feel ragged on. And they think if this is the appreciation they get for their hard and dangerous work as they come under fire of bricks and Molotov cocktails and maybe bullets they just decide to bail. Who could blame them.

anotherJoe on August 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

People on here are much snarkier and better responders than I am.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…

Wish you well too.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Even after he called you a chick?

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

coolrepublica on August 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Why yes I do. How come some black people seem to often blame not being liked out of so called “prejudice”? It might just be that one, the other or both are assholes. I know some people like me and others don’t.

arnold ziffel on August 16, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Um…

Fallon on August 16, 2014 at 9:19 PM

She has a helluva nerve quoting St. Paul…

OmahaConservative on August 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I still look at fast cars, I no longer have the desire for them that I used to.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I was watching MSNBC after Nixon’s presser this afternoon. They were rending their garments over Nixon’s five-hour curfew. One seemed to suggested that blacks would have serious problems with it because it would hark them back to the days when blacks had to off the streets by sundown.

Yeah, after midnight to 5 am is the equivalent to from sundown to sunrise.

BuckeyeSam on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Even after he called you a chick?

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I respond to chick – it’s the W word put before it that gets you into trouble

#betterdeadthanred

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

anotherJoe on August 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Yep and we can lay that whole episode at the feet of Captain Johnson.

He obviously figured that was the ONLY play he had so he chanced it.

I don’t know if he’s truly that naïve or just plain stupid.

WhirledPeas on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Dallas appears to be in mid season form.

BallisticBob on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Peaking?

arnold ziffel on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

anotherJoe on August 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

It is my understanding they were told to stand down and not do anything. Unfortunately, the law-abiding citizens are the ones that suffer.

Barred on August 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Something to add to your dossier.

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

She just likes to drop little quotes or links and then runs.

Barred on August 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Wish you well too.

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

What is sad and funny is that I have a foot in both worlds, but the trolls here will not have an open and honest discussion about race. Trust me I have been on the bad end of the stick many of times and if they would yak, we could have a meaningful conversation about race.

Bah, I give up.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Yeah, after midnight to 5 am is the equivalent to from sundown to sunrise.

BuckeyeSam on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

You don’t understand sir. For many of them citizens, midnight is morning.

arnold ziffel on August 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Evening All.

Judge Janine to give her statement on the indictment of Rick Perry after this commercial break.

CoffeeLover on August 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Even after he called you a chick?

cozmo on August 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I respond to chick – it’s the W word put before it that gets you into trouble

#betterdeadthanred

gophergirl on August 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Our Mom would most often say “broad”.

whatcat on August 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Ferguson is so militarized that people are still looting. I’d want my town’s police to be militarized enough that these people would be afraid to loot several days after rioting started.

Buddahpundit on August 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM

You don’t understand sir. For many of them citizens, midnight is morning.

arnold ziffel on August 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I live by Zulu time.

HonestLib on August 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Dallas appears to be in mid season form.

BallisticBob on August 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Cards up 7 over vikings

Football is back

cmsinaz on August 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Texans 13-7 over Atlanta. Clowney looking good.

slickwillie2001 on August 16, 2014 at 9:32 PM