Video: American dominance prevails…at world yo-yo championship

posted at 9:21 pm on August 13, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Meet Gentry Stein, the 18-year-old Californian superstar of the yo-yoing world. He hopes to be the Tiger Woods of yo-yoing, creating a young, ahem, spin on the sport that he thinks can attract new fans and new respect. His championship routine has gone viral this week., its combination of electronic music and X-Games showmanship winning over the Internet.

But is it about more than that? Is it about watching America succeed, if only in an activity somewhere slightly above hacky sack and slightly below bowling? Take heart, fellow Americans.

I don’t think yo-yoing’s my thing, still, but it is pretty impressive. He’s almost so fluid you forget that thing has a string, but if you try to remember that and that he’s not getting it tangled—whoa. According to Stein, a lot of this is made possible by a relatively recent switch in the yo-yo industry from “fixed-axle” to ball bearings as the spinning mechanism. The ball bearing, according to Wikipedia (and common sense) allows for longer spins and more tricks.

Unclear whether he has groupies. MTV asked him, but he was sitting next to his girlfriend at the time.

Comments

‘dominance prevailing’ is kind of like ‘prevalence dominating’. neither phrase makes much sense when you think about them.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM

“American dominance prevails” makes perfect sense.

For an example of the opposite, consider that America has possessed military dominance on the planet since the end of WWII — but owing to morons like you making policy decisions, we continually fail to prevail …

ShainS on August 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Another one of those “sports.”

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I could do that when I was 9.

faraway on August 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Wonder how the Arab countries did? Is yo-yoing in or out in Sharia?

Missed my old fav trick “Walk the dog”

KenInIL on August 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Maybe we should drop 30,000 yo-yo’s over Northern Iraq. Distract ISIS from …

This is pathetic. I’m sorry, but it really is.

I get home from working all day and finally have time to catch up on the days events..

And I get yo-yo’s.

Did you work on this all day?

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Because ‘murrica.

Seriously, that dude will never have to pay for a beer.

Galtian on August 13, 2014 at 9:53 PM

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

And watching it after the EMP thread doesn’t help much either.

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Maybe we should drop 30,000 yo-yo’s over Northern Iraq. Distract ISIS from …

This is pathetic. I’m sorry, but it really is.

And I get yo-yo’s.

Did you work on this all day?

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

These are the comments that I never understand; NOBODY MADE YOU CLICK ON THIS LINK! There was literally 20 other posts on this website, all pertaining to important events. Heaven forbid there be one frivolous post.

TDSE on August 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I’m out. We got Ed & Allah left. There is no point to threads so woefully silly as this on a political blog.

Well sometimes. Allah can pull off snarknado…

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Was Tommy Smothers there?

Kevin K. on August 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

BREAKING: Obama intends to let 3,000 Yazidis die

I told you so.

faraway on August 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Was she even gayer than him?

WhatSlushfund on August 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM

As the resident geezer here, Saturdays at the local movie included Philippine wizard of yo yo. They sold a bunch of them…but can’t remember the name right (Duncan???) now but the Philippino guys were THE reason we went to the Sat matinee. (Late 40′s/eary 50′s).

Dingbat63 on August 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM

hese are the comments that I never understand; NOBODY MADE YOU CLICK ON THIS LINK! There was literally 20 other posts on this website, all pertaining to important events. Heaven forbid there be one frivolous post. TDSE on August 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I just got off of work after 11 hours and it’s top of the page. Besides, it’s like passing a car crash,, you slow down and look. I can handle, and enjoy the lighthearted threads, but you don’t lead with them.

Palate cleansers come last, not out of the gate.

Is there something of substance to follow? Or is this just the warning buzzer for qotd?

I could offer this content for FREE and get turned down.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Cool. Thanks for posting this, MKH.

DisneyFan on August 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Was Tommy Smothers there?

Kevin K. on August 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Tommy + Dicky Smothers + Boston Pops

Del Dolemonte on August 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

A Special Forces team flew to the mountain and found fewer people than expected, and those remaining were also in a better condition than feared, the Pentagon said.

So it appears that we’re bombing and invading Iraq (with bootless special forces troops) based on faulty intel? Or did Obama LIE about the intel? And where is Halliburton?

kcewa on August 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I love this stuff, not on a poli blog necessarily but if the dude walked into the bar I would order a round for him after he did that routine.

This is what separates us from those monkey turd savages over in the mideast, we don’t have a few million degenerates looking to chop this guy’s head off because he doesn’t have a beard or because an ancient prophet never owned a yo-yo.

Bishop on August 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

That is awesome…people admire someone running up a floor in their shorts and putting a ball through a hoop, or standing in one spot and hitting a ball thrown at them, 6or 7 times a game, and they call that amazing…

This guy blows all of those other sports away…is it worth anything? Probably not, but more impressive than 90 minutes of soccer and a 1-1 tie…

right2bright on August 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Palate cleansers come last, not out of the gate.

I could offer this content for FREE and get turned down.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Oh I forgot how HotAir mandates the order people read their posts, let alone that reading all of them is mandatory. Carry on.

TDSE on August 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

All I know is that I had a yo-yo once, I was lucky to get the damn thing to come back up, forget about doing any tricks with it. This guy here is amazing.

Bishop on August 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Maybe we should drop 30,000 yo-yo’s over Northern Iraq. Distract ISIS from …

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I don’t know why but I’m reminded of this.

HotAirian on August 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Maybe we should drop 30,000 yo-yo’s over Northern Iraq. Distract ISIS from …

This is pathetic. I’m sorry, but it really is.

And I get yo-yo’s.

Did you work on this all day?

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Did you ever stop for a moment and consider that because most of the day is riddled with depressing, saddening and frustrating news stories — stemming from the mayhem in the Middle East, ISIS throwbacks, the government’s continued abuse of power, Obama’s perpetual dithering, etc. — that posts like these are a necessary refresher?

I believe AllahPundit calls it a “palate cleanser.”

Aizen on August 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Maybe we should drop 30,000 yo-yo’s over Northern Iraq. Distract ISIS from …

This is pathetic. I’m sorry, but it really is.

And I get yo-yo’s.

Did you work on this all day?

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Suck it, blowhard. Read what you want. Skip what you don’t. That’s how freedom works.

Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

right2bright on August 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

A solid point on the soccer.

Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

forgot how HotAir mandates the order people read their posts, let alone that reading all of them is mandatory. Carry on. TDSE on August 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Yea, your right, I should start at the bottom of the page, huh?

Mary does one or two posts a day. She should probably lead with substance.

She can bring it. She just does it backwards.

And I can’t read them all. I have a job.

But carry on.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

suck it, blowhard. Read what you want. Skip what you don’t. That’s how freedom works. Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 Pm

At the rate your submissions diminish, I don’t imagine it will be an issue much longer.

Do you feel out of your league? You are pretty cocky for a 20 year old,, and a Katie Pavlich you ain’t.

The frigging world is burning and we get a yo-yo thread.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM

The frigging world is burning and we get a yo-yo thread.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Agreed.

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM

The frigging world is burning and we get a yo-yo thread.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Well the world problems are just going to have to wait a couple of minutes until this kid finishes his tricks…priorities in life, keep them in order.

However, feel free to solve the problems while we admire this kids ability…tell us when you are done.

right2bright on August 13, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I’ll leave it at this,, I’m done with your threads.

That’s a promise.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Agreed.

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM

And this stops you from solving those problems how??

right2bright on August 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I’ll leave it at this,, I’m done with your threads.

That’s a promise.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Mary KH will be very upset…she was counting on you to step up and give us some solutions to these world problems…now you are leaving, and letting the world burn…

Mary Katherine Ham…for the sake of the world, stop these posts…repent…the world is burning and you are fiddling yo-yoing…have you no heart…have you no shame? Where art thou?

This post has upset the critical balance of the world…the results are placed squarely upon your shoulders…a wasteland awaits us, because of your selfish indulgence.

right2bright on August 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM

And this stops you from solving those problems how??

right2bright on August 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM

He has a point. Why does it bother you?

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM

He has a point. Why does it bother you?

Cleombrotus on August 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM

The irony…and you don’t see it…why does it bother you? What I say to someone else?

Time for you to have a little self reflection and say to yourself…”Why did I post that stupid comment?”…

right2bright on August 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Over twenty years ago, so I guess that might just qualify as “relatively recent”. I have a teflon sleeve ball bearing yo-yo that old sitting in my drawers. Aluminum shaft, chrome steel belted clear plastic body. It might be old, but it gets the job done.

unclesmrgol on August 14, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

And he also can say what he thinks of your posts. That’s how commenting works. Your response was obscene and unprofessional. Very disappointing to see.

bluegill on August 14, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Suck it, blowhard. Read what you want.
Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

If a commenter had insulted a blogger on here in a similarly obscene manner, what would have been the response?

Sad to see the writers sink to unnecessary, Kathy Griffin-level vulgarity.

bluegill on August 14, 2014 at 1:20 AM

We are lagging way behind in education, but so what as long as we do great yo-yo.

Axion on August 14, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Meh, the performance was up and down.

No, just joking :)
That was impressive. I’m glad we are #1 at yoyo.
I didn’t see him do any of the classics like “walking the dog” and “loop the loop” but hey the sport has changed I guess. Couldn’t they do it to some Buddy Holly instead of the techno – it would be more appropriate – no?. Overall ,though, I’m proud that we dominated.

BoxHead1 on August 14, 2014 at 2:19 AM

I’ll leave it at this,, I’m done with your threads.

That’s a promise.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM

This is why HotGas is hundreds of times better than, say, Little Green Footballs. If you don’t like what’s being posted, you can skip it. If a wrighter doesn’t like what you say, they’re not likely to permaban you like good ole’ Chuckie does.

I, for one, don’t mind a light-hearted thread, every once in a while. It’s good to take a break, now and then, from watching the world burn.

Kanga on August 14, 2014 at 3:22 AM

*Writer. I’m still kind of new to commenting here. Is there a way to edit your posts?

Kanga on August 14, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Kanga on August 14, 2014 at 3:22 AM

That may be true for Allahpundit and Ed, but look at this previous threat from Mary Katharine Ham. (See below) I don’t know if she followed through on her nasty, ill-considered threat, but she has also said “screw you” to a commenter on here who disagreed with her.

Mary Katharine Ham, who apparently has come out in favor of “immigration reform” and who, through many of her articles, seems more concerned with appearing acceptable to liberal colleagues than anything else, seems like a more natural fit for MSNBC.

Exactly, and if you bad-mouth her or question her motives, you’ll get deleted or banned. Have as much respect as the Romney camp has had for her. It’s a far better way to honor her son’s memory than lashing out at her because she happens to like Obama or not like Romney.
Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Source: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/10/romney-wont-tell-story-of-meeting-former-seal-killed-in-benghazi-after-seals-mom-objects/comment-page-2/

bluegill on August 14, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Two things:

1. That was more impressive than I expected it to be. Must have taken hours and hour and HOURS of practice. Cool to watch!

2. I think his mama overreached for an unusual name. Gentry? Hmmm….???

Grace_is_sufficient on August 14, 2014 at 5:39 AM

Kanga, no and mostly no, regarding “is there a way to edit posts.” No, once posted, I have not been able to re-edit a post. There is a “preview” option of course. But new posters should also know that if you take over a few minutes to complete a post, it will be completely deleted since there is auto-refresh in the page code which Hot Air refuses to address (I suppose there may be different behavior in other browsers). Therefore I suggest writing your post in a word processor/text editor and then copy/paste it into the comment box. Alternatively, copy the text in the comment box regularly if you can’t finish it in a few minutes.

Finally, nothing wrong with yo-yo’s. The trolls are out.

G. Charles on August 14, 2014 at 6:04 AM

And I can’t read them all. I have a job.

But carry on.

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Thats why you clicked on the yo-yo post. I see.

Anyway, that was pretty cool. Usually for myself it takes a few throws and I’m untying a knot.

tommer74 on August 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Maybe we should drop 30,000 yo-yo’s over Northern Iraq. Distract ISIS from …

This is pathetic. I’m sorry, but it really is.

And I get yo-yo’s.

Did you work on this all day?

wolly4321 on August 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Lighten up. There’s no shortage of serious or bad news here or anywhere else. Oh, and I keep a Yo-Yo in my desk drawer and am still pretty good at it. Try it. Some silliness in your life is a part of good mental hygiene.

RadClown on August 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Rock on, MKH.

talkingpoints on August 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM

bluegill on August 14, 2014 at 4:09 AM

There is no rule that the contributors here need to put up with anyone’s “crap”…I like it when they snap back and take a stand.

Too many “journalists” are not challenged, and too many challenged journalist, especially conservative, sit back and let themselves get rolled over.

right2bright on August 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM

What is funny is bluegill trying to bait MKH, and each time ignoring his post, he gets more animated…like a child seeking attention.

MKH is awesome, and knows how to treat children…ignore the tantrum, put a stop to foolishness.

right2bright on August 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Class too – libertas!

Schadenfreude on August 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Can someone please explain this to me?

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

The great JPeterman was lost to HA, for utter shame. He was the epitome of freedom and liberty, having escaped tyranny.

Schadenfreude on August 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

right2bright on August 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Suck it, blowhard.

Mary Katharine Ham on August 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Schadenfreude on August 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

USA! USA! USA!

Wait, what?

jnelchef on August 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Finally, nothing wrong with yo-yo’s. The trolls are out.

G. Charles on August 14, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Hey, thanks, G. Charles. I’ll take your advice and copy/paste from MS Word.

Kanga on August 15, 2014 at 6:22 AM