New Redskins ad: Some Native Americans like our name, you know

posted at 8:41 pm on August 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

A palate cleanser via Time, which notes that the “Redskins Facts” site is behind this and that the team itself is apparently behind “Redskins Facts.” (The anti-Redskins ad that inspired this rebuttal is also embedded below for context.) This is really just a taste of what they’ve got cooking; go to their YouTube account and you’ll find interviews with individual Native Americans defending the name. It’s an understandable counterattack — if your critics claim you’re victimizing a group, the natural response is to find members of the group who don’t feel victimized — but realistically we’re past the point of argument on this subject. It’s already reached litmus-test status. If you’re a Democrat, social justice demands that the name be changed lickety split; if you’re a Republican, the line must be held against political correctness. (Dan Snyder, for one, is obviously not giving in.) If you’re an average low-information voter, you probably don’t mind the name but don’t care much either way and will eventually be badgered into grudgingly accepting the bien-pensant position just to make this farking issue go away already.

Until then, though, its chief value is as a quick fix for self-congratulation. I’ll leave you with this, from Lakers owner Jeanie Buss, which must be the nadir — so far:

Comments

The name is NOT changing. Period! I mean, “Braves on the Warpath”… how is THAT degrading. Come on!

bernzright777 on August 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Ignore the PC nuts and move on. It’s a fad. The bullies will get tired of it and find something else if you just refuse to play their game.

crankyoldlady on August 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM

If it were up to the left, there wouldn’t be anything anywhere named after anything to do with Indians. Why it would be like they never existed at all. Not that the left would ever eradicate another people’s culture, memory or the people themselves. Oh wait. What’s that? Final Solution you say? Trail of Tears you say? Why, those socialists and Democrats had the best of intentions I’m sure. /

Wisdom_of_Homer on August 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Jeanie Buss ✔ @JeanieBuss
I decided NOT to draft any Washington players (apologies to them) on my #fantasyfootball team in deference to those offended by team name.

Ha. So she won’t draft someone, but doesn’t want them to be offended that she won’t draft them, because she afraid her drafting them might offend someone else.

Flange on August 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I still don’t understand why anyone would think that multi-millions of dollars have been spent and earne and decades of building this team can be construed as a slur. People have way too much time on their hands.

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I for one like the redskins name. I don’t care what the pansy azz liberals think, they can go the route of Robin Williams for all I care out of guilt, just stop dragging the rest of us into your pity party.

I know Native Americans, I call them NAs when I discuss things with them, and they refer to themselves as redskins often. Not a problem, and we live in Michigan. They also call me ghost man for fun, because I’m so freakin white it’s not funny. When I tan or burn they have a real good time with it, and I laugh right along.

Liberals would be horrified, but they can die in a fire for all I care.

Diluculo on August 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM

American Indians who like the name are, take your pick:

Tom toms, house injins, Uncle Tomahawks

/it’s all about name-calling, isn’t it

LashRambo on August 13, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Let’s ask the Yazidi, after all they don’t have anything else to worry about. I mean, the ones who weren’t beheaded, buried alive, died from thirst or starvation and didn’t have to drink their parents’ blood.

rbj on August 13, 2014 at 8:53 PM

You just can’t fix stupid!

(or political correctness for that matter.)

As for the trademark, hasn’t anyone ever heard of secondary meaning? Apparently not the PTO. (Oh! and it’s their legal doctrine.)

EdmundBurke247 on August 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM

First world problems.

lorien1973 on August 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I still don’t understand why anyone would think that multi-millions of dollars have been spent and earned, and decades of building this team can be construed as a slur. People have way too much time on their hands.

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I looked at the helmet in the pic above the vid. Looks pretty cool to me. The warrior depicted doesn’t look too humiliated.

arnold ziffel on August 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Why won’t this nonsense end? Don’t freaking leftist have anything better than worrying about the name of a football team? F- them.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Too much time on your hands huh Jeanie?

arnold ziffel on August 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Besides most leftists are beta pajama boys who couldn’t even name half the football teams.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Here’s my instant analysis — the detractors of the “Redskins” name like to look down on people. Here they get to look down on those who defend the name. It’s the height (or depths) of irony that they accuse those who defend the “Redskins” name as people who like to look down on the American Indian, when, again, their primary motivation is to look down on others.

If it wasn’t “Redskins” it would be something else where they could feel morally superior and look down their noses at others. Race, LGBT rights, gender, income inequality. They love to think others are smaller, dumber, meaner, than they are. It makes them feel bigger, smarter, kinder. Don’t ask me to explain it, this is just how they are.

LashRambo on August 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Hey Jeanie, must a missed the Lakers season last year eh? Nobody on the Lakers is worth a sh,it in fantasy OR reality.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM

No one outside of the obama administration, and obama’s state-run media is “offended” (more fake outrage, of course) by The Redskins’ name and logo.

Pork-Chop on August 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM

First world problems.

lorien1973 on August 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM

In other news, women are feeding their children their own blood so they don’t die of thirst.

LashRambo on August 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM

rofl. She was too busy navel gazing and picking fantasy football. Reality basketball is too much like work.

arnold ziffel on August 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Let me get this straight. She employs a rapist, promotes him as a super star, and is worried about offending someone?

Wisdom_of_Homer on August 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

rbj on August 13, 2014 at 8:53 PM

OMG. I posted the same thing before I read your post. Am I THAT unoriginal? (Answer: I guess!) :lol:

LashRambo on August 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Fighting Irish unavailable for comment…

Galtian on August 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM

arnold ziffel on August 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

We don’t get to seem them often since moving to Florida but all my kids grew up knowing the fight song. I haven’t been to Fed Ex field but there was nothing like a live game at RFK and riding in the buses through the city after a win. And you will never convince me that it didn’t start because Snyder isn’t a big Dem donator. If he was you would have never heard any of this.

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

The warrior depicted doesn’t look too humiliated.

arnold ziffel on August 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Doesn’t look like someone I’d want to go up against either.

But the left is hell-bent on emasculating anyone/anything that threatens their weltanschauung.

Shay on August 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM

@LashRambo, great minds.

Whenever I think I have a serious problem, I look to those just trying to survive. Shrinks my troubles down to size.

rbj on August 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Citizen of a tribe myself and support the name…

Kaptain Amerika on August 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM

It won’t be right if I can’t hate the Hated and Evil Redskins!
Even worse for me as a Cowboys fan, I’m now in the awkward position of rooting for them!

Don’t back down you Hated and Evil Redskins!

questionmark on August 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Why does anyone listen to the people in the grievance business? I don’t get it.

Tell the “offended” that their feelings and opinions are no more important than anyone else’s feelings and opinions.

Kohath on August 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM

The Redskins nickname issue is such LOW HANGING fruit. It IGNORES the crimes and human rights violations BY tribes against their own people.

Apartheid, disenrollment, theft of per capita which has surpassed $750,000,000 . Hallbritter of the Oneida is a big offender himself.

It’s a shiny object that keeps the focus off what REALLY should matter.

originalpechanga on August 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Tribes pile on the Redskins nickname issue so that nobody will notice the APARTHEID issue:

GET SERIOUS, Indian Country…

originalpechanga on August 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Hopefully the a-hole that ginned all this stuff up will have to reimburse the Washington team for all the time and expense their BS has caused!!

KenInIL on August 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I just love these people (and sportswriters) suddenly offended over the Redskins name. 70-80+ years of the Redskins name being used with no problem. Now that it’s the hip thing to do, they’re all jumping on the bandwagon, suddenly offended. These people have such strong convictions; they should all be laughed at and humiliated.

PatMac on August 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Why does anyone listen to the people in the grievance business? I don’t get it.

Kohath on August 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Because it can be very lucrative. Think Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton. Jackson extorted millions out of just one company, Texaco. It’s a cash cow. They convinced company owners that they can control public opinion by calling “racist”, and many owners believed them, and paid up. Sounds like extortion to me.

LashRambo on August 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Newspeak is upon us, and you’re doubleplus ungood if you don’t follow its edicts.

Wino on August 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM

the truth about the Redskins name and logo

smitty41 on August 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Ms. Buss’ family has owned the Lakers for a while, after buying it from even longer-time owner Jack Kent Cooke.

Who also owned the Washington Redskins. And never changed their name.

Jeanie could have told off Jack to his face 20 years ago when the Lakers’ sale from Cooke to Jerry Buss was being negotiated, because there were already activists back then griping about the team’s name. But she didn’t say ‘boo’ until it became a trendy liberal topic. (On the other hand, Cooke’s son John is criticizing Skins’ owner Daniel Snyder, not for the nickname but for how he’s screwed up the franchise since buying it from his dad in 1997).

jon1979 on August 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I grew up in N. VA switching the ‘skins when Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer were big.
SO proud of them for sticking to their guns!
This PC thing is a sickness.

Tard on August 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I am 37.5 percent American Indian. Dad was half and Mom was a quarter.

Dad was a Cowboy fan as he grew up near the Red River in Oklahoma. That is, until the Cowboys played the Redskins. Then he became a Redskins fan for that day.

He would be laughing and shaking his head today at this obnoxious “controversy”, may he rest in peace. I’m laughing for him.

As another great Oklahoma American Indian once said, “Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.” Will Rogers, 1879-1935. I’d add…Liberals!

Michael Harlin on August 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM

So when are we changing the name of Indiana?

Ronnie on August 14, 2014 at 4:25 AM

Since I live in Maryland I support the home team, the RAVENS! When the Redskins change their name to Landover, I’ll think about supporting them. Shame on all Marylanders supporting an out of state team. Washington fans are even lower forms of life than all the Cowboys fans I see in Maryland all the time.

doufree on August 14, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Why isn’t the sports media putting the pressure on Redskins players to threaten a strike the way they did with the Clippers players last Spring? Is it because they realize football players won’t risk losing the job security and make them and their entire crusade look foolish?

TarasBulbous on August 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Redskins is a good name for a warrior sport and for proud Native Americans, Indians.

Redskins, the potato, is a good name for a sissy sport like soccer where the teams just runs around in circles without using their hands.

Connecticut on August 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM

This is all about making up for past injustices like the trail of tears or any other US Army massacre of NAs, just like requests for reparations for former slaves. The left has just got to go back in time and try and fix every wrong ever done by this country to make us perfect.

Kissmygrits on August 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Washington

DC

Politics

Redskins

…better a Redskin than a Red Coat

Willys on August 14, 2014 at 10:40 AM

They will encounter the rage of Odin if they try to change the Vikings name.

Sven on August 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I decided NOT to draft any Washington players (apologies to them) on my fantasy football team, either.

Because they suck.

Professor Blather on August 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

SO proud of them for sticking to their guns!
This PC thing is a sickness.

Tard on August 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I think THAT right there is the real point here: however you may feel about the Redskins name, it is way past time that SOMEBODY stood up to the political correctness and groupthink madness that is truly a threat to liberty.

The Redskins’ stand here is almost heroic. And its important. Not because of the name itself, but just because somebody, somewhere, has to be willing to stand up to the madness.

I personally think the reason that this has gained so much traction in the media is that liberals have never, ever been denied like this. Those who started this idiotic campaign (80+ years after the team was named!) fully expected the team to rollover and obey, like almost any other organization or company has done in the last couple decades.

By standing firm, the Redskins enrage the Left. Because they show the weakness inherent in groupthink: that for now, at least, we have the option to speak our own mind. Liberty still exists, no matter how hard the Left fights it.

This whole thing is goofy – yet it might be the tipping point. When organizations like the Redskins and Hobby Lobby begin to stand up and stand firm, other (more cowardly) individuals and organizations will begin to join them.

And the Left is fully aware that any such revolt would spell their doom.

I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan so you know this pains me … but GO REDSKINS! I’ll even buy a jersey, even if you do suck.

I’m proud of them. Real Americans, they are.

Professor Blather on August 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Seriously, The LOS ANGELES LAKERS take SPONSORSHIP MONEY from a tribe that:
Practices Apartheid
Stripped 25% of its members of their tribal citizenship
Worked to steal water rights from reservation allottees
Stolen $450 MILLION in per capita payments
Denied health care
Physically removed children from tribal schools

GET SERIOUS JEANIE, READ AND LEARN: http://www.originalpechanga.com/2014/08/laker-owner-jeanie-buss-wont-draft.html

originalpechanga on August 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM

“It’s a warrior’s name.”

THANK YOU!

It’s a name that in fact honors American Indian heritage and their warrior spirit.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Here’s a famous cowboy showing respect for Redskins.

MrKleenexMuscles on August 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM