Watch: human tide of Yazidis scramble onto helicopter in rush to escape death

posted at 2:41 pm on August 12, 2014 by Noah Rothman

CNN’s Ivan Watson has been sending harrowing dispatches back to the United States from the areas of Iraq where Islamic State fighters have encircled minority Yazidis. His reports, and the footage he and his crew have been broadcasting, are positively heartbreaking.

Kurdish and Iraqi forces have been operating helicopter rescue flights in and out of the mountain where the Yazidis remain trapped. In missions Watson described as “heroic,” the local forces airlift supplies in and refugees out of the area.

The images coming out of those rescue flights are wrenching:

“We landed on several short occasions, and that’s where — amid this explosion of dust and chaos — these desperate civilians came racing towards the helicopter, throwing their children on board the aircraft,” Watson reported. “The crew was just trying to pull up as many people as possible.”

The crowd on board burst into tears as the chopper took off. Young and old, women and men, civilians and servicemen — all cried with the intensity of the moment.

Gunners had to open fire at the ground in order to make it away from ISIS.

“They flew in shooting; they flew out shooting,” Watson reported.

“There was not a dry eye on the aircraft.”

Each flight is able to rescue approximately 20 of what is estimated to be up to 25,000 Yazidis who have been trapped on Mt. Sinjar in Western Iraq for weeks. Many of the desperate refugees are turned away.

On Tuesday, one such flight operated by Iraqi forces reportedly crashed on Sinjar after dropping off supplies and picking up refugees. Legal Insurrection’s Bruce Carol reported that abroad that helicopter was Vian Dakhil, a Yazidi member of Iraq’s parliament whose emotional speech in Baghdad drew international attention to the crisis in Iraq. Preliminary reports indicate that she and her son survived the crash.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

But what makes the Yazidis more deserving than them?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM
It’s fine if you want to say that helping them should be a lower priority. It’s even fine if you say that we shouldn’t spend money to help them. What’s racist is saying that they don’t deserve sympathy for being slaughtered en mass.

Stop pretending that you didn’t say that.

How is the Yazidis a race?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM
You’re a stupid racist.

From Websters”

2b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
That’s how they can be considered a race.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Again maybe I spoke in haste after seeing an extremely emotional video, but to me it’s hard to build up sympathy after seeing that.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM

And their radicalism is well documented with honor killings, etc.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Unless you can find any of the “well documented” examples other than the 2007 incident, you are a liar.

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM

What is your point? You posted a video of some racist comments made by some zealot.. And I posted a video of a woman being stoned to death. And somehow I’m the bigot because I can’t see how I can equate the two?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Not surprised you can’t.

It’s the equivalent of saying all black americans should be left to die because of the ideological views of zealot King Shabazz and his followers. Just like you are saying all yazidis’s should be left to die because of the ideological views of a the zealots amongst them.

HumpBot Salvation on August 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM

You’d be furious if a Hot Air commenter condemned the entire black race for one video of a horrendous black-on-black crime, yet you feel justified in doing the same to a different race? What’s wrong with you?

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM

If you didn’t see the video you won’t understand what emotions I experienced when I saw it.

Did I maybe act in haste and over emotional? Yes. But still I contend this is not something you see among civilized societies.

It’s not like it was a video of 5 people. It was a huge crowd in the thousands and it happened in TOWN SQUARE.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM

If there is a Satan then ISIS is his army… ISIS must be annihilated from existence right now…

mnjg on August 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM

They say one of the biggest scams the devil played is convincing the world he doesn’t exist. ISIS is blowing his cover.

CurtZHP on August 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Not surprised you can’t.

HumpBot Salvation on August 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I’ll tell you what, I don’t advocate leaving “anyone” to die. And if I lead anyone to believe that, I should clarify that I didn’t.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I did see the video and it was disgusting. It’s a disgusting practice anywhere it is practiced whether in Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia….

And ISIS is crucifying young kids in town squares and then using their heads for soccer balls.

It is the zealots and radicals that need to be dealt with. And the ones in ISIS seem to be a little bit more radical, more zealous and more numerous than the ones among the yazidi.

HumpBot Salvation on August 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Even one is ONE too many.

Anyway here’s a more in depth look.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Cork the race card Corky.

Instead of foaming at the mouth about what you feel, why don’t you respond to RPB’s points. Either refute them or concede them.

The truth is never racist.

To summarize RPB, she’s asking why bother saving the lesser smaller of two evils when you still wind up with evil?

That, as we’ve seen with the Sunni v Shite, when one is dominat, they exterminate the other and that philosophically, if the shoe were on the other foot, the Yazidi would go barbaric on ISIS.

Here, start with this: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/alarabiya-studies/2014/08/11/What-you-did-not-know-about-Iraq-s-Yazidi-minority-.html

AH_C on August 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM

HumpBot Salvation on August 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I agree with you 100% here. But my general point is, even if they are better doesn’t mean they deserve “our” help.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Cork the race card Corky.

The truth is never racist.

AH_C on August 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Thank you for that reasoned post, and understanding my larger point.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I still take objection to the characterization of the Yazidis and the superhawk comments, but that’s fair.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM

And if you had not gone over the top, that might have stayed the focus, with some give and take (like the further information a couple of people presented).

Given that, can folks stop being reactionary and calling Raquel a bigot and a racist? Criminy. Unless your goal isn’t to actually convince people of things, but to simply name-call.

CurtZHP on August 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Amen to that.

GWB on August 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Even one is ONE too many.

Anyway here’s a more in depth look.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Do you even read your links? This doesn’t help your case at all, in fact is rather a sympathetic view of the Yezidis.

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Even one is ONE too many.

Anyway here’s a more in depth look.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM

You’re right, let’s arrest every African American in the greater St. Louis area. One quick-trip is enough!

TarasBulbous on August 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM

AH_C on August 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Your link does nothing to support your assertion that the Yezidis would “go barbaric” on ISIS (although SOMEONE should). It is an almost sympathetic view of them, not at all condemning.

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

There is no case I’m trying to make.

I said simply I was done with it. And One is One too many. If you disagree and think something like that happening once is not conclusive, is fine.

We will have to agree to disagree

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I did see the video. I saw the video years ago. It’s awful, and the crowd deserves to be condemned (or worse), but the entire people don’t deserve to be condemned for it. I sincerely appreciate you backing off a bit, but I’m still not convinced that you understand your own racism in this situation. You made it obvious that you don’t tolerate generalizations made about other demographics, so I think you need to come to terms with that.

I’ll leave it at that for now. Peace.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM

TarasBulbous on August 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I agree, anyone that had anything to do with the riot, heard about it, profited from it, or even just stood idly by as other people’s hard earned property was being destroyed should be arrested and charged.

And penalties should be harsh.

What do you think I condone lawlessness? Black, white , asian, hispanic?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I’ll leave it at that for now. Peace.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I appreciate that, however the video makes your heart turn cold. As you should know. Of course I don’t see that as actions of normal civilized people.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I’ll leave it at that for now. Peace.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I need to add one more thing. I’m not going to take exception to your main claim that the US shouldn’t be risking American lives to help these people. I have neither advocated nor opposed such action. I’m hoping that ISIS gets annihilated, but I hope someone else risks their lives and expends their treasure to do it.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM

the video makes your heart turn cold.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM

You are 100% right about that. Just don’t let your brain turn cold, too. That just leaves you vulnerable to being manipulated.

I don’t see that as actions of normal civilized people.

Nobody on here does, but that doesn’t mean that the majority of the Yazidis aren’t civilized.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Leftists, who oppose the help, you own the souls of all the dead.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Retweeted by Sara Hussein
Jonathan Rugman @jrug · 2h

Maj Gen Majid Ashour killed in helicopter crash delivering Yazidi aid. He flew us yesterday. Brave man rescuing his fellow Iraqis.

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM

The thing is that all of humanity and civilization needs to exterminate these animals, or else they will cut your head off too.

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Retweeted by Jon Donnison
Haaretz.com @haaretzcom · Aug 10

Pics of Obama golfing show he’s determined to not let Middle East ruin his summer vacation http://htz.li/1I

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Those poor kids will probably be killing out soldiers in 10 years. I’m not trying to be callous but I think it is true.

tomas on August 12, 2014 at 6:06 PM

why don’t you respond to RPB’s points.

AH_C on August 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I did. Expertly.

Either refute them or concede them.

I did despite the fact that I shouldn’t have to prove the null hypothesis.

if the shoe were on the other foot, the Yazidi would go barbaric on ISIS.

You don’t know that. How am I supposed to prove that the Yazidi wouldn’t being committing Sunni genocide if they could?

Schadenfreude on August 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Yeah, I’m not going to oppose anyone claiming that the US needs to do it. I’m not weighing in on either side of this argument. But I would certainly be taking a bold position one way or the other if I was the executive in charge of the US government – unlike Obama.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Tomas, they aren’t Muslims and they don’t believe in jihad so nothing to worry about there.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Wow! Interesting melt down by pinkbullet. Nice job there corkie, humpbot, and crowd. I think you brought her to her senses. After reading her comments yesterday and today, I am not sure what to think of her.

captnjoe on August 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Key point to consider when making grand accusations of Yazidis going ISIS. Kinda shoots RPb’s whole “they are just as bad because they would do the same thing” shtick out the window.

captnjoe on August 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM

People like Raquel Pinkbullet are why this world is so messed up.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You mean people realize all this criticising is really affecting Obozo’s short game, right???

KMC1 on August 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Iraq crisis
4m

Defense Department official: US military sends 130 advisers to northern Iraq to plan for evacuation of refugees – @USATODAY
Read more on usatoday.com

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Islamic radicals who use killing to promote the cause of Islam should be put DOWN … like rabid dogs.

listens2glenn on August 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I have to give her some credit Notorious, she did come to her senses. She watched a rough video and lost it a bit. It happens.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Iraq crisis
4m

Secretary of Defense Hagel announces additional assessment team sent to Iraq – @DeptofDefense
End of alert
============

U.S. Dept of Defense @DeptofDefense · 3m

Breaking: #SecDef Hagel announces that additional assessment team will be sent to #Iraq

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I didn’t assert anything beyond “philosophically” the yezidis are just as apt to go barbaric on isis. Why? Because it’s an islamic sect.

Yes the article is “sympathetic” to them and so are there dozens of articles that told us that islam is a religion of peace and that the wahhabis are a benevolent society concerned with missionary work and outreach. Or what if you read CAIRs selfserving articles?

Most westerners have never heard of the yezidis, seeing how they number about a half million and are somewhat related to the Kurds. About as much as inbred Appalachian hillbillies are related to Virginians. That’s why I said to start there with that article.

What RPB spoke of happened in the town square and after the burial, they exhumed her and sent her to a lab. To prove what? To determine whether or not she was a virgin!!! What??? Also it wasn’t the yezidis that condemned the act, it was the Kurds, the distant non-inbred relatives. That there’s only one video doesn’t disprove the mindset of this particular clan. Especially seeing how no one was punished.

Make of it what you will.

AH_C on August 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

People like Raquel Pinkbullet are why this world is so messed up.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I’m the reason eh? Lol.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM

captnjoe on August 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I stand by my point in the main. I only conceded that I was a bit too emotional.

I still don’t think the Yazidis are any more civilized than your run of the mill Muzzie radical.

Something else to consider, when they stoned that woman to death, the cheers in the crowd were similar to the cheers you would hear at a football stadium after a winning touchdown.

Then if killing her wasn’t enough they dragged her through the streets while random people spit on her, then she was buried with a dog. And finally if that wasn’t enough they later exhumed her body to see if she was a virgin.

No one was arrested, no one was condemned, no was even given a slap on the wrist.

If you still want to believe that these people are some innocent persecuted people, that’s fine.

Non-sequiturs like it was the only video, or it was an isolated incident are both disingenuous and inaccurate.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I’m sorry I misinterpreted your contrition Pink. You’re as misguided now as you were then. Worse really, as you can’t blame it on emotion. Believing the Yazidis are as bad as the Muslim radicals is ridiculous on its face. They are the ones being persecuted, not the persecutors.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM

mnjg on August 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM

CurtZHP on August 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Is anyone watching though? Everyone has moved onto the easier to grasp topic of depression and TMZ coverage of an actor’s death.

athenadelphi on August 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM

And you base that on what? Are you not going to see your so called “persecuted” populace stoning a woman to death in the town square while “police” and “military” were keeping the peace.

Are you serious? This is what passes for persecuted to you?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

B.S. You used anecdotal evidence to condemn over half a million people. Even if the incident was witnessed by 10,000 people, that’s less than 2% of the population assuming that none of the 10,000 were horrified yet feeling powerless to do anything. Yesterday, you freaked out when people were doing even less with more.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Don’t people who spam repeatedly get banned???

Nana on August 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

RPB, what would you say to someone that claims the 18 year old kid would have quickly shot the cop if the roles had been reversed – therefore the kid doesn’t deserve any sympathy? Don’t bother answering. I know you would have freaked out. You’re all emotion and very little brain.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM

But what makes the Yazidis Angelenos more deserving than them? Please tell.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:39

S. D. on August 12, 2014 at 8:50 PM

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Here we go again. It Doesn’t matter if it was witnessed by 10,000 out of 650,000. It was in the middle of town square. I can assure you something like that doesn’t happen in a civilized country. Last I checked I never heard of a honor killing in downtown “insert any Western nation.” What made it even worse was that the police/and/or military were on hand and they did nothing and in the videos they are clearly visible.

You can’t even concede that it’s POSSIBLE these people are not the persecuted victims you think they are?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I’m sorry what? That obviously didn’t happen. Could it have happened? Possibly. But we can’t compare a troubled youth with fanatics in the ME.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I’m sorry Pink, I came upon some links that detail how the Yezidis purge entire regions of religions other than theirs, while executing non-Yezidis indiscriminately. Here they are:

Whoops, they don’t exist. Your moral equivalency is laughable.

By the way, there are roughly 40,000 people starving and dying of exposure on a desert mountain because the jihadis don’t like the god they worship. If that doesn’t qualify for persecution, I don’t know what does.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Whoops, they don’t exist. Your moral equivalency is laughable.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

The whole premise of your post is ludicrous. There are only about 750,000 of them in the whole world. If they could would they? I don’t know. It would be conjecture to speculate.

There are 2 million Zimbabwe children dying of starvation and without clean water, what do you propose we do?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Someone could just as easily claim that the 18 year old WOULD have shot the cop if he had had the chance – therefore he doesn’t deserve any sympathy.

That’s the same as you saying that the Yezidis would be committing genocide if they had the chance – therefore they don’t deserve any sympathy.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

It would be conjecture to speculate.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

And yet here you are…speculating, no, worse, you are making a claim without any evidence.

Yazidis number in the 750,000 for the whole freaking world! They would exterminate people too if they could.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

How are you ok with contradicting yourself so flagrantly?

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM

It would be conjecture to speculate.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM
How are you ok with contradicting yourself so flagrantly?

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM

You are a piece of work you know that. Any people that commit barbaric acts like honor killings are not civilized people to begin with. And I don’t care if that was 2% or what. It was done in the middle of the main town square. MAIN TOWN SQUARE.

And I don’t get what you want to get at?

You earlier indicated that you had no position on boots on the ground. What exactly is your point? That these people are getting a bad rap from me?

I don’t see what your point is.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Yes, but there are plenty of other acts that are not done by civilized people. That doesn’t mean that one such incident can be used to brand an entire population the way you are doing. You claimed this yourself yesterday.

That these people are getting a bad rap from me?

It’s shocking that you are using typical racist rhetoric while simultaneously denying that you’re a racist. I’ve rarely ever seen someone less self-aware of their own racism.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM

You’ve said repeatedly the Yezidis are as bad as the radical Muslims. They don’t persecute Christians, Jews, and Muslims; they don’t engage in violent Jihad against kuffar; they don’t want to cut my head off, or yours either for that matter. Yes, you are giving those people a bad rap.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM

On the one hand, RPB says that”

It would be conjecture to speculate.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Yet early today she did just that. She speculated that the Yazidis would exterminate people if they could.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

And the only excuse for her hypocrisy is that the honor killing video was really really bad. She has absolutely no shame.

corkie on August 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM

The honor killing video was bad but I won’t extrapolate the behavior of the scum in the video to the entire population. The Yazidis aren’t Mormons but they’re not as bad as the jihadi pigs either.

The Grinch on August 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM

otlset on August 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM

In May 2012, five members of a Yazidi family living in Detmold, Germany, were convicted for having murdered their sister in a so-called “honour killing” and sentenced to terms ranging from five-and-a-half years to life in prison. The victim was 18-year-old Arzu Özmen (also spelled Ozmen outside Germany), who fell in love with a German journeyman baker and ran away from her family, violating the exogamy taboo. In November 2011, her siblings abducted her and brother Osman killed her with two shots in the head.

The Thin Man Returns on August 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I see flashbacks in my mind to the last days of Saigon, the picture of the last helicopter out. Yet, for as horrible as that was this event is infinitely more horrible. It combines the heartlessness and headlessness of the Khmer Rouge with the fall of Saigon and tosses in slow torturous death for added piquancy. And POTUS Phone I. T In is doing nothing about it. He is a permanent stain on the honor of the United States of America. For THIS we the people should place him in front of the World Court for Crimes against Humanity. He has the equipment and people to do something about it and sits by doing nothing.

{o.o}

herself on August 13, 2014 at 5:20 AM

The Thin Man Returns on August 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Heh, Pinkbullet thanks you Nick for rescuing her bacon and adding a case involving family members to the numerous other ‘well-documented’ ones. I agree honor killings have no place in civilized societies as evidenced by the two cases above…so I guess we should reconsider rescuing these folks as they die a gruesome death on that mountain./

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Yeah, how can anyone consider them persecuted victims when they’re about to be annihilated? Come on, we gotta save these people, post haste, and without all this unseemly equivocation about doing the right thing.

otlset on August 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

The Thin Man Returns on August 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM

These two are among the documented cases, I’m sure there are a lot more.

To be sure, I’m going to check for honor killings among Jews and Christians. Checking..Checking. Yeah I got nothing.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

otlset on August 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Again I asked this before and I will ask it again.. How about all the victims of genocide in Africa? DRC?

Why didn’t we do anything about the genocide in Rwanda in 1994?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Why didn’t we do anything about the genocide in Rwanda in 1994?

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM

You’ll have to ask our ‘first black’ president — Bubba.

otlset on August 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You’ll have to ask our ‘first black’ president — Bubba.

otlset on August 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Nice deflection.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet, own your racism. Display it with pride like Archie Bunker.

corkie on August 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM