Maureen Dowd delivers the combo Robin Williams tribute and Hillary-bashing column you’ve been waiting for

posted at 10:05 pm on August 12, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I know, I know. I shouldn’t reward her. But much like the time the woman who ate an entire marijuana candy bar without checking what the serving size might be lectured us all on smart drug policy, everyone’s going to be talking about this.

You didn’t think she could get more awkward than tripping in a Denver hotel room? Well, take a gander at this opening. Watch her execute the most graceless, tacky, incoherent segue in recent memory:

WASHINGTON — I talked to Robin Williams once, about breasts.

In 1993, when he played a prim British nanny in “Mrs. Doubtfire,” I went to interview him at his Pacific Heights house.

“It’s great to be this blue-mouthed old lady hitting on somebody,” he said, in his character’s soft Scottish burr, “opening your blouse and saying, ‘What about these? Behold my dirty pillows, my fun bags. Come nurse at the fountain of bliss.’ ”

He was 42 then, wearing his Popeye outfit, a blue-striped T-shirt and black baggy jeans. Surrounded by kids, a rabbit and an iguana, we talked about everything from John Belushi to his father, a stern Ford Motor Company executive.

As our interview ended, I was telling him about my friend Michael Kelly’s idea for a 1-900 number, not one to call Asian beauties or Swedish babes, but where you’d have an amorous chat with a repressed Irish woman. Williams delightedly riffed on the caricature, playing the role of an older Irish woman answering the sex line in a brusque brogue, ordering a horny caller to go to the devil with his impure thoughts and disgusting desire.

I couldn’t wait to play the tape for Kelly, who doubled over in laughter.

So when I think of Williams, I think of Kelly. And when I think of Kelly, I think of Hillary, because Michael was the first American reporter to die in the Iraq invasion, and Hillary Clinton was one of the 29 Democratic senators who voted to authorize that baloney war.

This red-headed superheroine was on her way to rescue the world from neocon warmongers, but she just had to stop and drop some names first. The rest of the column is a thorough bashing of Hillary Clinton, not just for backing the Iraq War, but for being insufficiently loyal to her male boss— you know, the one who called her “likeable enough”— which seems an odd thing for the author of “Are Men Necessary?” to object to.

Stay for the pre-2016 blue-on-blue action but there’s nothing to lure you in like this zanily nonsensical opening.

And, congrats to our friends at the Free Beacon for this. “Trolling upwards,” I think someone called it, but after reading that transition, that’s far too generous to Dowd:

Pile on!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You seem upset a lot in your posts. Sit back and smell the coffee.

HonestLib on August 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Thanks, but I don’t drink coffee.

I do get upset with some of the name calling, though.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Strange, considering I copied some of the words he said.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Yes, you did.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM

More on the alleged remarks of Rush Limbaugh:

JannyMae on August 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM

And explain to me, please, how the Washington Times is now a “left-wing” paper in Twitchy’s and Malkin’s view?

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Limbaugh is scum, just like you are.

jim56 on August 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Yeah, me too.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Limbaugh is scum, just like you are.

jim56 on August 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Yeah, me too.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Yeah. All that radiation must have affected your mind.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Let me try this again. I haven’t had coffee yet.

Thanks, but I don’t drink coffee.

I do get upset with some of the name calling, though.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, me too.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Limbaugh is scum, just like you are.

jim56 on August 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Let me try this again. I haven’t had coffee yet.

Thanks, but I don’t drink coffee.

I do get upset with some of the name calling, though.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, me too.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Limbaugh is scum, just like you are.

jim56 on August 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I get it now. Sorry for the insult.

Probably shouldn’t have written that originally, but I do get tried from being called dishonest, scum, stupid, libtard, idiot, liar or whatever the flavor of the day seems to be.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Maureen who?

Galtian on August 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Yeah. All that radiation must have affected your mind.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Sorry but you fail again. You don’t have access to my NRC form 4 and thus don’t have a clue about my lifetime dose. You also don’t know much about radiation or it’s effects either. Might want to shy away from subjects that you don’t know anything about. Of course that would severely limit the range of topics that you could engage in with any degree of validity.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Did you plagiarize that from libfree or foolrepub……………

VegasRick on August 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

In all seriousness jim if it bothers you that much then you should just keep away from this site or at least not engage the other posters. There’s no way to say this without sounding harsh but you are without a doubt one of the worst debaters I have ever seen. You have no skill, never successfully back up your points, make foolish statements that you can’t support and take ridiculous positions. I don’t consider you a troll as some others do because you don’t just drop an inflammatory comment and run you do come back and try. But seriously you’re not very good at this.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I’m not saying Rush is right about Robin Williams. But both Williams and comedian Greg Geraldo were HUGE Barry fanboys and watching their idol in action could not have helped their mood any.

DeweyWins on August 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

DeweyWins on August 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I’ve never seen any correlation studies about political preference and suicide. Might be interesting but I doubt that it would be very illuminating. A few years ago the single group in the U.S. with the greatest number of suicides was dentists. Never knew what to make of that.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM

All eyes turn to Bruce Springsteen . I hope the staff at his mansion in Rumson keeps an eye on him.

DeweyWins on August 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Robin Williams was a HUGE supporter of King Putt.
And so considering his blind faith in the product, King Putt let him down badly, very badly.
Perhaps Robin decided to beat the rest of the Gimmedat supporters anticipating the colossal collapse coming in early November and just wanted to get out … permanently.
On the other hand prayers for his family and Rest in Peace, Robin Williams. You were a very cleaver court jester and apparently no one comprehended the demons with which you were dealing.

Missilengr on August 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM

The media is so skewed that Maureen Dowd, someone that attacks Hillary from the left, is considered a conservative.

corkie on August 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Maureen Dowd delivers

Probably took a fair bit of pushing and grunting too.

Marcola on August 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Evil Mercury? Mad dentists?

slickwillie2001 on August 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

The Washington times got it wrong. They picked up on another source who had gotten it wrong. All these fools, including you, have to do to find out what Limbaugh actually said is go to the transcript on his website.

Twitchy and Malkin didn’t say what you said they did, either. You’re really batting 1.000 here, troll.

Leftists do this to Rush Limbaugh constantly, taking things out of context that he says, and distorting the meanings. That is the point of the twitchy article, if you’d have set aside your faux outrage long enough to have actually read it .

You’re not worth my time. You’re not even good at trolling.

JannyMae on August 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM

DeweyWins on August 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Rush didn’t say that Robin Williams committed suicide because of his leftist world view. Haven’t you figured that out yet?

JannyMae on August 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I usually put links to back up my points. So explain how I can better “back up” my points.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

You’re not worth my time. You’re not even good at trolling.

JannyMae on August 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM

You are really stupid, aren’t you? The Washington Times article linked to the transcript on his website and what I posted was right out of the transcript.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

You’re not worth my time. You’re not even good at trolling.

JannyMae on August 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Not sayin’ jim’s slow but rumor has it that it takes him two hours to watch 60 Minutes.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

No. Figure it out yourself. Listen to what others, and myself have told you. It’s obvious to the most casual observer and it’s been explained to you numerous times you just fail to listen or comprehend.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Yeah. Telling me I’m a liar, stupid, libtard, goalpost mover or whatever is such a good and complete description…

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Ok, I want you to tell my just what it was that Limbaugh actually said that was so upsetting as to cause you to label him “scum”. Don’t past a link just tell me in your own words. Keep in mind that Limbaugh is only putting forth his opinion just as you are trying to do. Use quotes from the transcript and explain your position.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Limbaugh said, the way I read the article, that Williams was a lefty and that it was, in part, his lefty views that caused him to commit suicide because he was angry and unsatisfied.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Ok, then let’s assume that you are correct and he did say that and that he feels that way. Why does that make him scum? After all it’s only the opinion of one man. Does the fact that you disagree with him make you scum?

Now here’s your response to Crrr6

Don’t see how that amounts to speaking ill of anyone. He was speculating about the circumstances leading up to his death, like literally every single other media outlet did today. You’re just angry because he was indicting that gutter religion you call a political ideology, which Williams shared in common with you.

crrr6 on August 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Limbaugh is scum, just like you are. All indications are Williams died because of depression, not because he was a liberal.

jim56 on August 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

All he/she did was disagree with your point and speculate a little on your world view. Your response was to verbally attack him in a rather vicious way.

You did not try to debate or defend your point you just threw out an epithet in a fit of juvenile anger.

No one was arguing that Williams wasn’t depressed just that some part of his depression might be rooted in his ideology. Nothing sinister or evil there. Just people stating opinions.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM

crrr6 on August 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM

All he/she did was disagree with your point and speculate a little on your world view. Your response was to verbally attack him in a rather vicious way….

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I don’t consider someone saying I have a gutter religion to be a “little speculation”.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Yep, typical. You zeroed right in on the one thing that one little tidbit and ignored the entire rest of his post. It’s an opinion of a political ideology, nothing more. It was not a personal insult even if you took it that way. If you can’t take that without resorting to a childish burst of anger then you need to find a new hobby.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Oh yeah, Jim. I laid my post out to give you room to defend your position and actually engage in some debate and you ignored the entire point just so you could pout and whine about some perceived insult. Simply childish. Serious question. Are you actually an adult?

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Yes. If someone writes three sentences, and one of them is a personal insult, it’s tough to ignore it.

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM

jim56 on August 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM

d=m/v

Tough equation when d=infinity as in your case.

Oldnuke on August 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM