In memoriam: Robin Williams as William F. Buckley

posted at 8:41 pm on August 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse a sour news palate, something sweet that made the rounds this afternoon courtesy of Tim Cavanaugh. He’s right about this:

Williams was in some respects the reverse of the old show-business cliché of the clown who wants to play Hamlet (and by the way, his walk-on as Osric in Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet is fantastically funny). According to this tradition, comedians are always trying, and usually failing, to inflate themselves into careers as serious actors. I’m not sure the idea is ever true, given the widely acknowledged reality that comedy is harder to do than drama. But Williams’s movie career is a stunning refutation of the clown/Hamlet dichotomy…

[I]f you look at Williams’s dramatic roles there’s one great performance after another: The World According to Garp, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting (the Oscar-winner), Insomnia, a little-seen TV adaptation of Saul Bellow’s Seize the Day, One Hour Photo, and my favorite movie about the cultural Cold War, Paul Mazursky’s Moscow On the Hudson would be enough to earn anybody a ticket on the Space Ark.

Ross Douthat made the same point. I had that thought myself last night after the news broke. It may be a function of age but practically none of my favorite memories of Williams involves comedy. The only one that bubbles up is Mrs. Doubtfire (a “run-by fruiting”), and even there, the moment that stays with me from the film is that heartbreaking little speech he delivers in the last scene about divorce. His knack for heartbreak was uncanny, to the point where it almost feels as if his best-known roles were unfair. If you hand Robin Williams material as poignant as “Dead Poets Society” or “Good Will Hunting,” of course he’s going to destroy you with it. Those are belt-high fastballs to a Hall of Famer. And filmmakers sensed it early: He got famous playing a zany alien on a sitcom but had landed the lead in “Garp” in just his third movie role, and within five years of that he was a full-blown dramedy A-lister with “Good Morning, Vietnam.” Two years after that came “Dead Poets Society” and he never looked back. Somehow, for the funniest man in the world, comedy was a sidenote. John Nolte thinks it was his eyes that betrayed the heartbreak but I’ve always thought it was that lipless smile, as if he was physically holding something in even when letting some happiness out. It was always there. It’s why we responded to him.

We’ll never watch those movies the same way.

Comments

RIP: Lauren Bacall

No drugs. No hanging.

faraway on August 12, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Most of mine aren’t either. Dead Poets, Hook (although silly, it’s completely endearing), What Dreams May Come were pretty big. I had forgotten him as the voice of the genie, though…man I watched that with my sister so many times as a kid. Sad news. :(

Bee on August 12, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Bee on August 12, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I fail at quotes.

Bee on August 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM

It’s also a good way to reveal to younger people that SNL used to not suck. I know it’s difficult to believe, but there it is.

RBMN on August 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Seriously: fuck you, faraway. What a human pollutant as the first post.

Esoteric on August 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Enough already.

Pork-Chop on August 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM

We’ll never watch those movies the same way.

No we won’t. RIP

cat_owner on August 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

That clip was dumb. Not funny.

Bitter Clinger on August 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Lauren Bacall died today at the age of 89. RIP

cat_owner on August 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

The Fisher King would not seem to be a good first date movie. But it was.

(Subsequent screw ups were entirely my own fault)

rbj on August 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Speaking of Celebrities:
========================

celebrities
8m

Editor’s note: MSNBC reporter Thomas Roberts (@ThomasARoberts) is reporting on Twitter that actress Lauren Bacall has passed away at age 89. This is unconfirmed and we’re looking for more sources. – Jillian
=========

Thomas Roberts @ThomasARoberts · 24m

BREAKING NEWS – actress Lauren Bacall passes away at the age of 89 according to my source who is connected with friends & family.

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM

canopfor on August 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

POSTED AT 8:41 PM ON AUGUST 12, 2014 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

Nice write up, Allah. All great movies but you left out Good Morning Vietnam, my favorite. I’ll remember him more for making laugh rather than his great dramatic flair. RIP funny man.

CTSherman on August 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

His impression of Buckley explaining Goldilocks and the Three Bears was pretty funny.

“They weren’t black bears, not brown bears, let’s just call them third-world bears.”

Left Coast Right Mind on August 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM

My favorite Robin Williams performance is from Homicide: Life On The Street. He played the husband of a murdered woman. Not many people seem to remember it though.

Mark1971 on August 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

That was a great WFB by Robin Williams, and Eddy Murphy just reminded me how funny he was. I miss the old SNL.

Of course, even if SNL were as funny as it was back then, I still wouldn’t watch it. Too late. I’m not 18 anymore.

Nomennovum on August 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

CTSherman on August 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

No, he got that one. Didn’t mention Patch Adams, which I liked pretty well.

KCB on August 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM

it was all about him in the end.

no one else mattered.

in our world today, he’s considered a hero.

i’d rather live in mine, where he’s a coward.

renalin on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

RIP: Lauren Bacall

No drugs. No hanging.

faraway on August 12, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Until you, yourself know the amount of pain that a person has to have to get to the point of killing themselves, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

This thread wasn’t another thread to discuss the religious aspects of suicide, it wasn’t about the moral aspects of suicide and it certainly is not about you dumping this kind of self-serving shit on Hot Air’s carpet.

Just shut up.

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

He played some creepy roles too like in One Hour Photo and Insomnia opposite Al Pacino.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

it was all about him in the end.

no one else mattered.

in our world today, he’s considered a hero.

i’d rather live in mine, where he’s a coward.

renalin on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

(wash, rinse repeat)

Just shut up.

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Robin Williams explains golf.

KCB on August 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Have you seen “The Final Cut?”

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

@Left Coast, completely forgot about Insomnia. Weird but good movie.

rbj on August 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Sometimes he would talk about his kids at the end of a comedy routine. Get 1/2 way serious.

It was pretty moving stuff.

Some don’t want to talk about him, but I grew up with his work. From Happy days on.

I don’t see the problem.

If nothing else,, he loved our Troops.

It amazes me how small some people can be. And fragile.

And how large. And fragile.

The dude made me laugh. and sometimes think.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I have not. I believe I remember the cover art though.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I have not. I believe I remember the cover art though.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

It’s a future social fiction, not quite science fiction, but close.

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Mark1971 on August 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I remember that performance, Mark (recently watched the first 5 seasons of “Homicide” via Netflix — long wait for the last 2 seasons).

You’re right, he was quite powerful in that role …

ShainS on August 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I miss the old SNL. This is from it’s declining, but still funny years. I remember this skit coming after both Richard Priot and Michael Jackson caught on fire (literally).
I miss “Firing Line” too.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I am sick of this 24/7 coverage already…

OmahaConservative on August 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM

t was all about him in the end. no one else mattered. in our world today, he’s considered a hero. i’d rather live in mine, where he’s a coward. renalin on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

The dude spent his entire life making people laugh and smile, including our troops in warzones. You’ve got it azz backwards.

The only person he didn’t care about was himself.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

My favorite Robin Williams performance is from Homicide: Life On The Street.
Mark1971 on August 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

As I mentioned last night, he was great in the Law&Order SVU episode “Authority”.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM

First movie of his I saw was Popeye.

UnstChem on August 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

As the surviving sibling of one who committed suicide, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I am sick of this 24/7 coverage already…
OmahaConservative on August 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Thank you for reading about something you’re sick of reading about and sharing about how you hate it when you do that.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM

am sick of this 24/7 coverage already… OmahaConservative on August 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Then don’t partake in it, respectfully.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM

The only person he didn’t care about was himself.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

My thanks to you, too.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Besides it’s not 24/7. it’s 24/1.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Just shut up.

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

In other words, celebrate life?

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM

my thanks to you, too. kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

My father did.

He had terminal lung cancer.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:30 PM

it was all about him in the end.

no one else mattered.

in our world today, he’s considered a hero.

i’d rather live in mine, where he’s a coward.

renalin on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

You must also think our veterans who commit suicide after having survived the worst horrors of humanity are also cowards, right?

UnstChem on August 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

in other words, celebrate life? bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Why can’t we just celebrate his?

He made us laugh. Sometimes cry. Think.

I’ve heard bo stories of him hurting anybody but himself.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Sibling, mother, grandfather. I’m sorry for your losses. Many of us have the experienced the same.
What I don’t understand is – why does their death seem to be all about you (or the ones left behind)?
Let them go.

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Robin Williams on Jihad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvvTOzzQBE

From this, oddly, ISIS tweeters lauding Williams until they are reminded of the above clip.

Bee on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Love the clip.

That was back in the days when we were allowed to have a sense of humor.

petefrt on August 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Mark1971 on August 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Yeah, that was the pilot too, I think. Aired after the Super Bowl, if I recall. Absolutely brutal story. The guy’s life was destroyed and had to take care of his kids in a strange city with no answers from the police. And Williams played it as down to earth as possible. Maybe his most authentic performance. That episode raised the bar for TV in the 90s.

Dongemaharu on August 12, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Robin Williams on Jihad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvvTOzzQBE
Bee on August 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

That’s funny stuff there.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Let them go.

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Where did I make it all about me? I’ve never had a family member or friend, or a friend of a family member commit suicide.

But what I posted was what I have heard psychologists and other professionals say about the level of pain that a person has to be in to do something like this.

Methinks you jumped to conclusions. At least I hope you did.

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Yes, I’m not happy at all about how all the media has played up his suicide, bringing in shrinks and all and doing what they do to generally gin up hysteria or ratings, but the man was obviously seriously troubled for some time, and took what he saw as the last exit on the pain highway.

For those of you who wish to call this cowardice or belittle the man because of his choice, please tell me that you knew him well, were friends with him, and knew everything and every other choice he had.

No, I don’t condone what he did, but fortunately I never walked in those kind of shoes, always lucky and just hoping that if I die tomorrow, I want to come back as me. Not everyone, I realize, has had such a fortunate and good life, plus not one of us in a position to judge another on this point. That’s the job of the Heavenly Father.

TXUS on August 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

you make my point by focusing on the pain robin williams felt for HIMSELF!!!!!!

What about his loved ones.

Mickey Rourke didn’t slit his wrists cause he was worried about Loki his beloved chihuahua.

get the point?

nah…

renalin on August 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Walter L. Newton on August 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Sorry about the leap at you.
Though we all like to think we do – friends, family, professionals alike – we have no idea of what another person is fully experiencing.
The most loving thing to do is to not question how their actions might impact us but to cherish them as truly unblemished and loved human beings.

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM

He had terminal lung cancer.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I’m so sorry, but I totally understand. My sister had Type 1 diabetes, and was heading for amputations and organ transplants.

I’m glad she saved herself that pain, and lived her life until then to the fullest.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Okay, so I’m going to be called a cruel, callous, classless bastard. Oh, well. Won’t be the first time.

But it’s been just over 24 hours and I’m already sick to death of the Robin Williams news stories, commentaries, and people falling all over themselves to lavish public praise on the man.

Okay, he was a good comedian and a good actor. And it’s a tragedy that he was in so much pain that he felt the need to take his own life. But, you know what? He’s hardly unique. People take their own lives every day. And they don’t make the national news headlines.

Our obsession with celebrity is one of the things that is driving this country to ruin. Robin Williams’ death is not unimportant, but it is no more important than that of anyone else, anywhere in the world who killed themselves that day. And probably quite a bit less important than, say, the Christians who are suffering and dying in Iraq while stories about them get pushed aside to honor a comedian.

I pray for God to have mercy on Mr. Williams. I hope his family finds peace. But national news worthy of dominating the new for 24 hours this is not.

Shump on August 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Let them go.

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

What the heck are you talking about? I thanked Walter L. Newton and wolly4321 for taking to task those who are callous about suicide.

Believe it, or not, I totally understand why my sister did what she did, and never wished her back. She’s much better off where she is, and she is pain free.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Lauren Bacall, one of the last from Hollywood’s Golden Age…it’s ironic that we have had two different actors, both from very different eras, pass away in different ways.

WestVirginiaRebel on August 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I think you must jump to conclusions a lot.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 10:00 PM

All these Robin WIlliams fans could’ve helped him out by watching his TV show this year before it was canned. I read through Drudge his suicide could be a simple matter that he was broke and he said in interviews he “needed a paycheck” and was selling his 35 million dollar Napa home (which is gorgeous) at a 10 million dollar loss “just to get some cash”.

Look at it this way: he railed against his California law divorce settlements and had two ex-wives and if he made 10 million dollars for a movie, he probably kept 3 million and 7 went to the wives. And that’s not anybody else’s fault.

Marcus on August 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM

it was all about him in the end.

no one else mattered.

in our world today, he’s considered a hero.

i’d rather live in mine, where he’s a coward.

renalin on August 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Please save the comments about Obama for another thread. Let’s have a little respect here.

DaveDief on August 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I believe you!

Its your right to be offended at the “callous” suicide comments. Just don’t take them personally.

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I think you must jump to conclusions a lot.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Didn’t Walter just say that?

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I didn’t take them personally.

They were tacky, and callous, though.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Didn’t Walter just say that?

bettycooper on August 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM

He did, and he was right.

kakypat on August 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM

WestVirginiaRebel on August 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

There’s an old saying about famous people dying – “it comes in threes”.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM

The roles I remember the most were Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet’s Society, and Mrs Doubtfire. I think my favorite was Good Will Hunting. I know the Speech was Oscar bait but I loved it. I also loved Dead Poet’s Society.. damn was that an ending. But I thought that there was some Robin Williams moments like the Shakespeare impersonations.

Illinidiva on August 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM

WestVirginiaRebel on August 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

You’ve heard these things come in threes? Who’s next…

de rigueur on August 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:02 pm renalin
it was all about him in the end.
no one else mattered.
in our world today, he’s considered a hero.
i’d rather live in mine, where he’s a coward.

Shut the f*** up, will you? This line of thinking is so played, and so debased from reality.

I had two friends hang themselves. One when I was 14. One when I was 21.

If you think suicide is about “no one else mattering,” you aren’t paying attention. People ending their lives are not mentally well, you asshat. Anyone that repeats this sort of abject horesh1t above should be ASHAMED of themselves.

blatantblue on August 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM

You’ve heard these things come in threes? Who’s next…
de rigueur on August 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM

That’s a saying I remember from a long time back. I’m kinda surprised you haven;t heard it before, it’s pretty common, e.g.

It actually was one of the first things I thought of when I heard RW was dead: “Who’s next?”. It’s an old superstition.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

blatantblue on August 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM

i have friend who’s dad committed suicide. messed him up for the rest of his life.

renalin on August 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Robin Williams also did a William F Buckley impression in Aladdin when he’s telling Aladdin about the wish rules. And the animators drew him as a Buckley caricature during that scene.

bluegill on August 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Shump on August 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM

The dude visited our troops in combat areas. Over, and over, and over again.

You got some respect for that? They needed a laugh and it. was delivered.

I never got to see him. I had to settle for a free Ted Nugent concert. In a hanger.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Moscow on the Hudson

My favorite, a love letter to America.

itsspideyman on August 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I always thought Robin Williams did a very good job at the Oscars singing “Blame Canada” after he was brought in as a very last minute replacement for the voice actor who killed herself days before:

He had good stage presence and energy.

bluegill on August 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM

The dude visited our troops in combat areas. Over, and over, and over again.

You got some respect for that? They needed a laugh and it. was delivered.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Yes, I do have respect for that. Unlike some posters here, I’m not speaking negatively of Robin Williams. I do agree that he was a fine actor and comedian, and I do wish he had not had to contend with some horrid personal demons that ultimately resulted in this.

My point was simply about the news coverage of his death, which seems rather… disproportionate.

Shump on August 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM

moscow on the Hudson My favorite, a love letter to America. itsspideyman on August 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I’ce never seen it, but I want to now.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Williams did more than entertain the troops. He paid for the care of Christopher Reed the last ten years of his life and took care of the Reeve’s children after their mother passed away. He also contributed to over 50 charities. It is beyond sad that Williams felt that ending his life was the only way out of the darkness of depression. May he rest in peace.

fight like a girl on August 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM

point was simply about the news coverage of his death, which seems rather… disproportionate. Shump on August 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM

It’s been 24 hours. We haven’t reached malaysian jet yet.

wolly4321 on August 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Was a rhetorical question addressed to the poster quoted, and by extension to the rest of the thread readers. Yes, very familiar with the saying. And not hard to find real life (er, death) examples.

de rigueur on August 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

de rigueur on August 12, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Oops, sorry, my bad.

I don’t really believe in it, but when it does occur it pops into my mind. I think the pysch reason for it is the human tendency to try to find patterns even where there are none.
Or maybe it is true, heh.

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM

whatcat on August 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Back during a very brief sojourn on a bayou in Houston, I was told that when you found one copperhead or rattlesnake in the yard, there was always another one nearby.

That turned out to be invariably true.

de rigueur on August 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM

It was pretty moving stuff.

I saw him do that a couple times, Red Skelton used to do the same thing.

Whiterock on August 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM

And let’s not even get started on Sith lords.

de rigueur on August 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Good Will Hunting is one my favorite movies. I don’t know why Damon and Affleck went into acting when they have an knack for writing.

terryannonline on August 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Okay so are we done yet? HA has been way too TMZ in the last 24 hours. It was a friggin actor/comedian that I’m pretty sure nobody in the Hot Air community knew personally. It has generated three posts and over 400 comments. It has been on every friggin cable news show, NPR, the alphabet networks and on and on and on. I don’t care and I know that doesn’t matter–but what this inconsequential BS has buried in coverage does matter….God this kind of crap just wears me out and HA was a willing dupe—page views tell you everything we need to know about the viewer and the vendor.

HatfieldMcCoy on August 13, 2014 at 12:31 AM

And out the window goes the logic some pride themselves in painless topics. At what point is it time to stop identifying a stranger’s tragedy and others’ disjointed reactions to it as attacks on your own experiences? When are you going to let your own wounds heal?

derit on August 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM

terryannonline on August 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

GWH would have been better without the dipstick Damon in it.

slickwillie2001 on August 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM

terryannonline on August 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Apply the blind squirrel theory

rik on August 13, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Thanks for putting that up Allah. Classic.

lexhamfox on August 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

You know what I am gathering from all the remembrances of Mr. Williams? That he was boundlessly kind and generous. To everyone. How many people can you say that about? Contrast that outside to an inside that was in so much pain that death seemed the only relief. To get this much coverage, you know he has touched so many lives and I hope his family takes some comfort in that on the long journey without him.

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Marcus on August 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Apparently he has four movies to be released and signed to do a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire. Do you think he was that broke?

Cindy Munford on August 13, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Funny clip with two guys who’ve brought a lot of laughs to people: Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy.

About the only funny thing on SNL these days is Kenan Thompson.

pdigaudio on August 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I had never seen that Buckley skit before. Hilarious! And I did not know Williams could do Buckley that well.

WannabeAnglican on August 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I’m with team coco on this:
God bless Robin Williams.

drballard on August 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I always felt Williams was a better impersonator than actor. I remember about half way through the Fisher King feeling that I had been had. Not to mention that ridiculous “I Love New York In June” bit. Truly cringe-worthy…

Pest on August 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM

About the only funny thing on SNL these days is Kenan Thompson.

pdigaudio on August 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

No, especially not him. In fact he’s one of the least funny people ever on SNL.

slickwillie2001 on August 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Every list of his film credits that I have seen over the last couple of days omits the 1990 Awakenings with Robert DeNiro. His performance in that is a lovely, sensitive portrayal of kind and dedicated doctor whose care for his patients is palpable.

cheeflo on August 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM

What is that unfunny clip from SNL supposed to illustrate?

GEAH on August 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Nothing is quite as funny as people who think that people should STFU about what they approve or disapprove of, don’t think for a second to take their own medicine.

People who think that putting expectations on Williams is unfair, expect other people to say only certain things about his suicide.

Axeman on August 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM