Video: Riot tears through Missouri town over police shooting

posted at 10:41 am on August 11, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

It started as a vigil protest, and ended in teargas and looting. The shooting of an unarmed black teen in Ferguson, Missouri had the city on edge, and last night it exploded in anger:

CBS reported on the aftermath this morning:

A day of anger over a fatal police shooting of an unarmed black teen in suburban St. Louis turned to mayhem as people looted businesses, vandalized vehicles and confronted police in riot gear who tried to block access to parts of the city.

The tensions erupted after a candlelight vigil Sunday night for 18-year-old Michael Brown, who police said was shot multiple times Saturday after a scuffle involving the officer, Brown and another person in Ferguson, a predominantly black suburb of the city.

CBS affiliate KMOV-TV in St. Louis reports at least 12 businesses near the shooting scene were looted, including a convenience store, a check-cashing store, a boutique and a small grocery store. People took items from a sporting goods store and a cellphone retailer, and carted rims away from a tire store.

TV footage showed streams of people walking from a liquor store carrying bottles of alcohol, and in some cases protesters stood atop police cars or taunted officers who stood stoic, some carrying shields and batons. Video posted online by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch showed a convenience store on fire.

So far, it appears that no one died or got seriously injured during the riot, although that hasn’t been entirely confirmed yet. If so, consider that luck. Riots get very ugly very quickly, and usually include vendettas from old conflicts and new. That was the case in the LA riots of 1992 after the Rodney King verdict, which resulted in 53 deaths, more than two thousand injuries, and 11,000 arrests.

In the end, though, the LA riots did what the Ferguson riot did last night — damage the community that had the grievance in the first place. Riots are about rage and insanity, not justice or accountability, and it drives people away rather than heal, regardless of whether the underlying cause is just or not. It destroys investment, usually in areas which already suffer from a lack of investment in the first place, and mires the area even deeper into poverty and dysfunction. It’s senseless and harms the people that were allegedly victimized in the first place.

The riot will transform this shooting into a national issue now, if it hadn’t already. It will be interesting to see whether the police cars had dash cams or other surveillance technology that could have captured the incident (or perhaps cameras from nearby businesses), but it will most likely hinge on the eyewitness testimony. Don’t expect that to convince either side of the other’s arguments.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

I am sure Brown was a good man.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Sure..Rhodes Scholar, decorated marine, astrophysicist, pastor, and mentor to troubled youth.

Problem is he missed the lesson not to fight with the cops when you get arrested.

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Oh, come on. Aren’t people allowed to think and post what they’d like here? If they’re wrong, won’t they be shown to be wrong?

/”sunlight is the best disinfectant” ~ some Jew

LashRambo on August 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM

No need to see Hoat Air go the way of LGF..or DU.

I don’t mind the intellectual fencing with those that don’t always agree with my POV- that’s what having the Strength Of Your Convictions comes from.

But that guy is way off in the dark woods of ignorance: and no amount of logic was going to make it change.

Thankfully, Ed & Co. don’t have to deal with that kind of nonsense a lot on here…which is a good argument for keeping the Open Registration so rare and hard to predict.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Are you saying that all acts by cops are lawful because they are done by cops? Or did I miss something here? Cops have to follow the law, too. And I don’t trust cops to investigate themselves in these matters.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Yes, when you post stats that are suspect, just to try to win an argument, it isn’t just “disagreement” it’s misrepresentation.

Just throwing out stats, without analysis and understanding, just choosing whatever fits your stance…makes you a troll.

And it just seems that each of your “facts” had to deal with racism, whites vs. blacks.

It’s not a debate of who is worse…it’s what can be done in the minority community to stop them from doing what they are doing.

Who cares who has more serial killers, that is not a subject that is important, considering how few are actually involved when counting the number of deaths and murders…it is done to divert attention from the real numbers.

In these riots, how many are started by what group, and how often?

right2bright on August 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

AGAIN, I will answer like I did before:

Picking apart my analogy is silly because I admit it is an analogy. By virtue of being an analogy, it is by definition, not going to be the exact same as the object of discussion, so I don’t get what your point continues to be.

My original point still remains, and is one that was backed up by other posters, that riots are color blind. There have been a lot of riots in the black community, but also among other races.

East St. Louis Riot of 1917

Detroit Race Riot of 1943

Columbus, TN, Riot of 1943

Beaumont Riot of 1943

Zoot Suit Riots

Cicero Race Riot of 1951

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Now if you would have said most riots are committed by members of the LEFT we would have both agreed.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Just look at the London riots of 2011. There were many whites, who, by the way in case you didn’t know, needed subtitles on the news because their language was almost indecipherable.

I maintain that riots are the result of socio-economic conditions, which primarily begin with single-mother families.

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I call BS on this one. Almost all riots are done by blacks in the past 50 years..Watts, Detroit, Newark, Miami, LA after Rodney King etc.

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

OWS types Seattle and New York, not black Downtown Dallas 1984, not black.

There are others, mostly when a sports team wins, or loses, a championship.

Only an idiot would blame rioting on melanin.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM

There were riots in the Blue City of Boston last fall after the Red Sox won their third World Series in 10 years. Also at the Blue enclave of UMass Amherst.

Smaller riots took place after the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007.

But those pale in comparison to the epic 1917 Fenway Park Gamblers’ Riot.

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Gryph’s Fun Fact:

Eddie Grant’s 1983 hit, “Electric Avenue,” was written about the Brixton Riots of 1981(?) which to my knowledge had quite a bit in common with the “Occupy Wall Street” movement of 30 years later.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Hold on there, buddy. You won’t find a vote for Obama on MY record at all…so don’t blame ME for that Hot Mess…

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM

You’re one of the best commenters on this site.

ToddPA on August 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Theodore Dalrymple and others often point to the same social ills that occur in the UK as in America to escape the automatic dismissal as “racist”.

And they’ve done a lot of good work and have demonstrated just what you say – the breakdown of the family means the break down of civilization and severely damages the potential of kids born and raised in such circumstances.

gwelf on August 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I picked the very first source that was out there. No source shopping required. It even lists them going back over 100 years. The numbers remain nearly static as %s.

For pedophiles. The facts are that whites make up nearly an identical percentage of their representation. Which makes it a neutral position. So whites are not a predominant actor here. No making up of facts, it just simply is so.

Now for serial killers, blacks make up 3 times their numbers there. You still want to use serial killers as your white slam that is supposed to shut me up?

Are you sure you want to use domestic violence as your white attack line to shut me up?

The fact of the matter is that on most negative aspects of culture, blacks are on the wrong side. I do not particularly consider it a racial thing. I see it as a culture thing. Martin Luther King seems to have been the pinnacle of that culture, and since then it has been nothing but on the decline. Even in areas where it is rising it is a race to the bottom. I do not consider baggy pants and gangsta rap to be great achievements for our time.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Good for you. Not on the plantation of liberal idotic group think.

I just wish there were more like you.

There are quite a few like me, just not as many as one would like to think.

There has always been a Conservative bedrock in the Black community..otherwise we wouldn’t have made it to the 1960, let alone live past the 1860′s…sadly, its less about race nowadays that Political ideology…or “white guilt”…hell, maybe a Full Moon rising event that happens every 1000 years, i don’t know.

BUT, we ARE out there. Just like the Christians that had to go underground, we have too, in a sense…but I don’t think that will be for much longer. There WILL be a breakout point for Conservative Blacks…sooner than one might expect.

And I didn’t blame you for the mess Obama has us in.

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Don’t expect you to…no more than I blame White for the Clintons or Carter or LBJ….

We all have our crosses to shoulder…:o)

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Gryph’s Fun Fact:

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I agree. As I mentioned earlier, politicians feed on them, convince them that their plight is the result of the evil rich, corporations, society, etc. Meanwhile, the politicians gain power, fame, and fortune while those that they fed upon remain in the cycle of poverty, ignorance, violence, and abandonment.

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

RWM never used the words black fatherless males. He used the words fatherless males.

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM

SHE used the words ‘fatherless males.’

F-

:-)

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM

My bad! I’ll e-mail you a sundial…

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

and libfree/verbaluce/coolrepubic, the biggest racists I have seen here, get to drive on.
grommms crap was disgusting, least he was open about it.

dmacleo on August 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I live in Ferguson. I am experiencing this. I am deeply angered and saddened by the actions of a few thugs who are not representative of my town. Michael Brown’s death is their excuse. They don’t care. The actions of these people will not destroy our town. We will fight back with love, with charity. With forgiveness.

Logus on August 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM

My maternal family roots are based in Ferguson (they moved there from the big city in the late 1800s). I’m glad to hear that the town isn’t really the “little Detroit” it is being made out in the media. All with racial undertones for which I’ve seen nothing to support the innuendo. I remember visiting Ferguson during summer vacations- a nice town that deserves better than how it is being smeared by the rioters last night.

Happy Nomad on August 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Note the repetition of “maternal”:

Low MAO-A activity in combination with abuse experienced during childhood results in an increased risk of aggressive behaviour as an adult. High testosterone, maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy, poor material living standards, dropping out of school, and low IQ can also trigger violent behavior in men with the low-activity alleles (which are overwhelmingly the 3R allele).

If I understand this, it seems that the warrior gene needs triggers for the “anti-social behavior” to manifest. Blacks and Asians are not much different in the occurrence of the “warrior gene.” But we don’t see the level of “anti-social behavior” in Asian communities as we do in black communities.

Is it racist to point out that those triggers are more likely to occur in certain minority neighborhoods?

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Sorry that’s weak.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM

My bad! I’ll e-mail you a sundial…

Del Dolemonte on August 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Good deal! All’s forgiven.

A+++++

:-)

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Picture shows masked thug packing heat in a QuikTrip:

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Can’t be. I’m sure they honored the “no guns” sign at the front door.

Happy Nomad on August 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 2:07 PM

This is not getting anywhere. I said before and I will repeat, I had agreed with you in the main. I just didn’t like your and a few others posts suggesting that the black community is the source of all riots. I was posting the ludicrousness of that position.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

However painting the whole community with a broad brush only alienantes potential allies like me. There are plenty more conservatives in the black community who would join ranks with the GOP if they didn’t see sh,it like this grouping them all in together with the thugs that terrorize our communities.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM

If about 25% of the black community is conservative Why aren’t they speaking up and why doesn’t it show in the voting? It’s hard not to group people together with the thugs if all I see is just a handful that will speak.

wifarmboy on August 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

East St. Louis Riot of 1917

Detroit Race Riot of 1943

Columbus, TN, Riot of 1943

Beaumont Riot of 1943

Zoot Suit Riots

Cicero Race Riot of 1951

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Except you’ve left something crucial out of the original exchange:

All races riot. Don’t judge the whole black community by a few lawless thugs who are using this as an excuse to be lawless.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Just a quick google search disproves that.

Also don’t forget the Occupy Wall Street zealots who were predominantly spoiled liberal rich kids.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

And that’s when you supported your statement with a link to Wikipedia’s “civil unrest” and not “riot”.

(I’m not doing this to pick on you, btw. It’s more honing edges.)

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Such civilized people. Seriously. Punishing private businesses that had nothing to do with the incident. Not surprising at all. Obama sure has healed the racial divide huh?

sadsushi on August 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

wifarmboy on August 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

“25% of the black community is conservative.”

You might as well be saying that “25% of muslims are peaceful.” Those statements may both be true, but as it is the 75% of the respective communities that are giving the others a bad name, the “good ones” need to do more to speak up.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Sorry that’s weak.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I was making a point that blaming all criminal behavior/riots on the black community is wrong. The extreme analogies I used were just an example to show the absurdity of grouping people together by stereotypes.

Now we may agree on most threads, this sadly is not one.

We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Date the 9th:

Original report:
News 4 St. Louis is reporting “at least 100 cop cars and numerous officers armed with M-16′s in the area” after an incident on Saturday.

Police have confirmed that one person is dead after a officer-involved shooting at the Canfield Green apartment complex, according to Fox 2 Now.

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Occupy Wall Street zealots

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

So they rioted and looted. I know they were nasty but I missed that in the news.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Now we may agree on most threads, this sadly is not one.

We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Not all muslims are terrorists. But the overwhelming majority of terrorists are muslim. See where I’m going with this, Raquel?

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Protesters are gathering outside the Ferguson Police Department, demanding justice for the shooting death of an unarmed teen Saturday afternoon.

Michael Brown, 18, was killed by a Ferguson police officer outside the Canfield Green apartment complex Saturday afternoon. On Sunday morning, St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said a struggle over the officer’s gun led to the shooting.

The protesters have a list of four demands:
1. For the officer who killed Brown to be identified.
2. For the officer who killed Brown to be fired and charged with murder.
3. They want the police department’s “Protocol Handbook” released to the public.
4. They want the Ferguson Police Department’s employees to reflect the racial demographic of the community.

The group is asking for supporters to call Ferguson police demanding justice for Michael Brown. They are also planning a protest in front of St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Bob McCulloch’s office on Tuesday.

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Survey finds dads defy stereotypes about black fatherhood
By most measures, report says, black fathers are at least as involved with their kids as other men in similar living situations.

Love the qualifier.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Ha. You win all 57 of today’s HA points. That’s a great catch.

Poor professor.

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Just remember: when aiming downhill, hold low to compensate.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

“Shoot low, boys. They’re riding Shetland ponies”

katy the mean old lady on August 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

“25% of the black community is conservative.”

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I will speak “up” for myself and qualify it as a member of the black community.. I lived in a very violent part of Miami “pork and beans”, just speaking up could put a big target on your back.

Just because some of us don’t speak up doesn’t mean we APPROVE of thugs dealings drugs and shooting up our neighborhoods.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

You’re one of the best commenters on this site.

ToddPA on August 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

TY, but I humbly defer that title to others that have been on here or REALLY comment on a regular basis.

Posters like RWM, Raquel, and too damn many others to post have made some great reading for HA over the years: I even enjoy posts from those where we do fence intellectually on issues.

This is how it supposed to be: I don’t want to be in a HuffyPost or LGF Drone Zone not so much as its a difference of opinion but the willing ignorance that MAYBE, just maybe they may be wrong…and Heaven help you if you call them on it.

If i wanted to be spoon-fed that kind of shinola, I’d watch MSNBC or read Vox….:shudder:

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

IF Brown’s death was over a struggle for a gun, and that’s a pretty big IF, then I think his death meets the lawful-but-awful bar. As things stand, I don’t know, and I sure don’t trust the cops to investigate themselves.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Google Occupy Oakland.

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Disapprove all you want. Whatever is happening now, it’s obviously not enough to make thug culture go away. And yes, I am well aware that over the years, blacks have not had a monopoly on thug culture. That’s not what I’m saying.

When the tools you have at your disposal to fix a problem aren’t sufficient, you need to start thinking about finding better tools — whatever that problem may be.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM

As I mentioned before as an example, someone could be attracted to animals but acting on that would be wrong and immoral. Someone could feel inclined to steal or murder… acting on these things are still wrong.

Also, you cannot actively change your skin color, and in some cases your religion defines you. Just because some with your skin color decide to shoot up neighborhoods and sell drugs doesn’t mean there is anything I can do about it.

I can’t stop being black. I can however live a productive life and set an example.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I’m not following your point.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

+100000000000000000000000000

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

You really missed the “rape free tents” or the wide spread violence at Occupy Oakland and occupy Portland?

The liberal media doesn’t cover it, I know, but I know it was covered here.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Police say the FBI is taking over the investigation of a suburban St. Louis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed teenager.

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson tells The Associated Press that he was informed Monday that the FBI was going to take over the investigation into the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown. Jackson says he welcomes the move.

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I’m not asking you to stop being black. And good on you for doing what you should be doing in the first place. I just think it’s sad that we pat blacks on the back for being productive members of society when we see it happen.

The problem is thug culture. THUG culture. Not black culture, but thug culture. Thug culture has meant different things at different times; I’m reminded of the Draft Riots and the carnage throughout Five Points between Irish Catholics and American-born protestants. The thugs change over the years, but their underlying sociopathy never does.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Stop with the generalizations about races. Some of you suggesting all blacks are thugs, when reality is 15%-20% of the black community terrorizes the rest.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I would have thought it was a lower percentage ….
10-15% ,,,,

conservative tarheel on August 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM

grommms crap was disgusting, least he was open about it.

dmacleo on August 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

To be fair, I’ve called for the banning of all of them.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I find there are many like that.

/hat tip to the human condition

LashRambo on August 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I’m not following your point.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Let me cite my post at

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

and see if I can’t reiterate somewhat.

The problem is cultural. It’s not ethnic. And speaking as a white Christian male, it seems to me that the black people that wish to distance themselves from the culture need to do more to make themselves relevant.

You know, like I think “peacful Muslims,” if they do indeed exist, also need to do more to make themselves relevant if they really do wish to speak out against jihad.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I can however live a productive life and set an example.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

As can we all.

I have heard of pork & Beans but never been there. I don’t know about the 25%, but I do know there is a significant number of rightward leaning folks in the ethnic parts of the city I live in. Who keep it quiet for the same reason.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

And I already agreed with you that blacks do not cause all riots. So I do not see why when you respond to me you have to keep trying to argue I said otherwise. But unless you provide that comprehensive list of actual riots with racial profiles, I will stand with my assertion that when you hear about a riot, if you bet it is a black riot instead of another race’s riot you will make money over the long term.

Just like my original argument was if you hear of the constitution being trampled upon, you can rest assured saying it is democrats doing the stomping and be right more often than not.

Sure, the Republicans stomp on the constitution and the libertarians do as well, but predominantly, it is a Democrat thing. Think living constitution.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I’m not asking to be patted on the back. Again the thug culture will eventually wane. Just like all the others have.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Of course not.

However, if one is being arrested, for heaven’s sake, don’t start fighting and try to grab the cops gun.

That will always lead to a bad outcome.

I bet many of the white conservative Hot Air posters here have NEVER been arrested. An ounce of prevention….

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

A good goal for all of us.

Midas on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Lived in Brooklyn, NY (Far Rockaway) and The Bronx (home of Original Fort Apache)….

WORKED in all the worse areas of the 5 boros, and in sterling places like Paterson & Newark, NJ, New Haven & Hartford, CT…all the way up to Manchester, NH. and all the way to Baltimore, Murdaland…

NOT fun places to be, especially if your a bouncer or doing private security work.

Just because you were as Black as the area you worked, didn’t mean someone wouldn’t try to go upside your head or kill you because you’re tasked to stop criminal activity….so yeah, I know how bad P&B would be for you…everything from shootups and shootouts over the most trivial shyte.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I wish I could believe that. Thug culture may wane in the black community, but there was thug culture before hip-hop/rap, and it will exist long after hip-hop/rap is a historical footnote.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I will agree with everything here. Except the part I crossed out. Like I said we generally agree on 80% or more of threads here. Sad this wasn’t one of them.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Of course not.

That will always lead to a bad outcome.

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

As I said upthread, if Brown reached for the cop’s gun, I could see a case made for lawful-but-awful in this particular instance. My problem is that I don’t trust cops to investigate themselves. I’m not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt out of hand.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM

erguson, Mo. police chief says he plans to identify officer in Michael Brown shooting today, if he can reach the officer to notify him – @mattdpearce

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Ed, I wouldn’t worry that your posters think you’re “a fool” or are wondering “what the hell” you were talking about. These two don’t really *ping* the literacy meter.

libfreeordie on August 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Ed didn’t claim that it wasn’t a national issue. He said that it will definitely be one now – IF it already wasn’t one.

livestupid, you couldn’t have been more wrong about this entire issue. You are stupid. This world would be a better place if fewer people thought like you and more people thought like Gandhi and MLK.

I’m still LOL’ing that you even tried to claim that this incident was part of some government resistance. Fool.

corkie on August 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Michael Brown’s family has hired the same Florida civil rights attorney who currently represents Trayvon Martin’s family.

More good news! Guaranteed racism taking the place of the rule of law.

Happy Nomad on August 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM

More good news! Guaranteed racism taking the place of the rule of law.

Happy Nomad on August 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Ben Crump is an ambulance chasing shyster.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

17m
Police in San Leandro, Calif., respond to the Bayfair Mall after reports of shots fired – @nbcbayarea

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Do not get caught speeding using your blinkers for lane changes… I learned my lesson! Do not use blinkers!

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

RWM yeh I see what you mean:

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

*eyeroll*

On January 28, members of Occupy Oakland had planned a ‘move-in’ day to take over a vacant building and establish it as a social center…

Police first attempted mass arrests near Telegraph Ave and William St. This attempt failed when kettled protestors were ordered to disperse. As police moved in on the kettled marchers, the marchers overturned a chain link fence and fled across a vacant park. The march continued heading up Telegraph towards 20th.[91] Three officers were injured in the skirmish between Occupy protesters, as protesters threw bottles, metal pipe, rocks, spray cans, improvised explosive devices, and lit flares, police said, in a large skirmish on the front steps of the Oakland Museum of California…

CBS News: Occupy Oakland riots: More to come?

The Blaze: Riot Gear and Bonfires: Occupy Oakland Degenerates Into ‘Chaos’ Overnight

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

grommms crap was disgusting, least he was open about it.

dmacleo on August 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM

You sound like a cliche Malkinite who has drunk from the ‘raaacccissssttt’ well.
Yawn.
I’m making no comment on this riot or this shooting here…haven’t read much of even the little info that is available.
But your beef with me is that I actually think there’s such a thing as racism, that it does exists – and not only in the cartoonish ways you deem it to.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Thug culture has always been around us, Gryp…be you Black or White.

How many Italian and Irish or Jewish kids wanted to emulate firms like Murder, Inc or the Sicilian mob?

You couldn’t blame music or the Internet for that then…but Hollywood sure did generalize and serialized a lot of “Mob” movies and culture…up to and even today

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

It will wane somewhat, but at some point, it may not happen within our lifespan.

If we have a chance its to use the same media tools that promoted this insanity and show that its OKAY to e a productive member and that you have to think “long Term”…can’t expect everyone to be rich and live the high life without work…or at least not without consequences.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM

RWM yeh I see what you mean:

CW on August 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

*eyeroll*

PuffHo: Occupy Oakland: The Morning After

Occupy Oakland Riot in Pictures

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

And, if you give me a few, I’ll look for Zombie’s photo essay on the riot and its aftermath.

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:41 PM

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Had to read back to see what this was about – I confess, I presumed you were talking about libfree at first. lol

Midas on August 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

+1. People shouldn’t speak out against violent riots before they know all the facts.

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I had claimed a near 50/50 racial split. I was going by old memories. I’ve lived here for 7 years – Sept. 2007. In the 2000 census it was closer to that 50/50 split at 45/52, black predominate. In 2010 it was 29/67, black predominate.

White flight, the economy and the housing market no doubt has played a role in the demographic shift. We chose to live here though precisely because of the demographics. We could have easily moved to St. Charles County, especially because at the time my wife had a job there.

Foreclosures and a depressed housing market continue to plague our area while the rest of the county and area has seen an uptick in value.

It’s interesting to note that our town only has one black councilman – we have three wards with two councilpersons per ward. On a state level our legislator and state senator are black, but on a city level, much of the politicians and civil employees are white.

I live in the Jeske Park neighborhood.

We will rebuild. We will not back down. Our city will continue and thrive. We will cross racial and cultural divides and not allow hate to prosper.

Logus on August 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Somewhat agree, Gryphon..

But personally speaking, I’ve worked with cops of all sorts during my life…the vast majority were good guys and gals: they did the work, go home and have the same F’ed up lives just like the rst of the population they come from. Some were downright useless…thankfully, that ratio was almost 95% in favor.

Most of them were reasonably Conservative or more.

That being said, so far, because this was a reasonably large department, they may have a CCRB or equivalent…maybe it’ll turn out that it was like the office said…or maybe it’ll be like the “witnesses” stated…we won’t know.

Regardless, not everyone will be happy with the results…and unless proven otherwise, I don’t think the officer that pulled the trigger wanted this to happen. Not just because of the death of someone, but also who’s life goes back to “normal” after something like this?

Either way, the Holder DOJ is naturally dispatching a team down there to review this incident…so we wait and see.

BTW, because no one knows for sure, it would be schadenfreude indeed if it turns out the office is a minority themselves, no?

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Of course Holder isn’t dispatching a team to see if the murder of the rabbi in North Miami was a hate crime.

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Somewhat agree, Gryphon..

Most of them were reasonably Conservative or more.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM

When “good cops” don’t speak out against corruption, can you really say they’re good?

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM

We have banned Gormmm and deleted his earlier comments.
Ed Morrissey on August 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Bless you, Ed!

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Why do you continue to play this stupid game? And that is what it is.
I am not here NOT speaking out against ‘violent riots’.
But that’s your angle? Some snark b.s. on something I’m not saying and wouldn’t?

But you finally got me to respond to your ‘clever’ bits.
And I guess ultimately that’s the only game you’re playing these days.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I hope they don’t. That man needs to stay in hiding until any trial. I cannot imagine the grief and fear he is experiencing right now.

Just from the initial reports, it looks like he reacted in the heat of the moment. As I had read elsewhere, if he was truly a “bad seed”, bent on anger and lashing out at the community, he would/could have done it in a myriad of other ways and hid his tracks. An officer firing their gun opens up a whole can of worms for them, even if they never strike/hurt anyone – in other words, it’s not in their best interest.

We need to wait for the investigation to proceed. Too many people making assumptions and from there, acting out in anger.

To boot, now apparently the Anonymous thugs have decided to stick their nose into things with their idea of “justice”. Supposedly they hacked our police department. Wonderful. Make matters worse.

I feel very angry and sad for my town. I feel for the family of Michael Brown and I’m glad his family condemned the rioting and looting. But justice will best be served by calm heads and letting it run its course, not lashing out in anger, hate and assumptions. Not by reinforcing stereotypes.

It’s going to take the community stepping up to the plate and extending a hand of love.

Love one another… do unto others…

Forgiveness.

Reconciliation.

Logus on August 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Resist We Much on August 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM

And we aren’t sending any in to investigate Chicago City Hall or Detroit political machine either.

Because someone needs to be held to account for the wholesale murder and borderline ANARCHY those 2 major American cities have descended into.

If that isn’t a damn criminal conspiracy, I don’t know what is.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I am not here NOT speaking out against ‘violent riots’.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Wow.

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Why do you continue to play this stupid game? And that is what it is.
I am not here NOT speaking out against ‘violent riots’.

But you finally got me to respond to your ‘clever’ bits.
And I guess ultimately that’s the only game you’re playing these days.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

So you could rouse yourself to comment on rogerb…but not on whether violent riots targeting innocents is ok?

gwelf on August 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM

If you are talking REAL corruption, yes, I will say that they are fostering and abetting the problem.

To me, REAL corruption isn’t padding your time sheet or using your cruiser as personal vehicle…

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM

But you finally got me to respond to your ‘clever’ bits.
And I guess ultimately that’s the only game you’re playing these days.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

And btw verbaluce, it’s not my fault you’re incapable of engaging in an on-topic discussion.

rogerb on August 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I can understand the risk with speaking up but voting is private that to is speaking and I don’t remember seeing very high % voting against democrat policies. Nothing near the 20-25% range. You commented about a distrust of people on the right well I distrust people that run for office because I believe they are taking care of themselves first. Never the less if I agreed with what they claim is their policies I will vote for them.

wifarmboy on August 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM

That depends on how you define “real corruption,” I guess. It just seems to me that “real corruption” is far more widespread than a lot of people appreciate. I’ve seen several examples of it right in my hometown.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Looting and ransacking liquor stores has always been my favorite method of protesting injustice……

E9RET on August 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM

The liberal media doesn’t cover it, I know, but I know it was covered here.
Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM

And then there were the arrests…almost 7,800 of them

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

wifarmboy on August 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

They’re out having a coffee with the “moderate Muslims”.

kim roy on August 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM

The problem now is that it’s profitable in a way it never was before, given the welfare state. And I don’t just mean the giving of checks to certain groups in our society – I mean the socialization of risk. The earlier social groups left the “thug culture” behind because they had to or risk further marginalization. If there’s no risk, there’s no incentive to move on from “thug culture”.

GWB on August 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Well I am certain that Holder (the activist AG) will be impartial in a white on black death. The cops will be found guilty of civil rights violation (WTF is that except a white doing something mean to a black) at a minimum.

I trust the cops more than the politicized FBI.

And when Obama gets off the 19th tee, he will have a press conference and say the cops acted stupidly.

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM

gwelf on August 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Please read my comment.
Not rogerb’s one line.
What I’m saying is I am making no comment on racism, specifically, as a factor in the riots or a factor in the shooting. It’s preceding where I make a more general comment about racism..and was clarifying that comment should not be read as any particular commentary on these current event.
Do me the more than reasonable favor of accepting that I am opposed to ‘violent riots targeting innocents’.
Or don’t.
Whatever.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM

QuikTrip Employee: Workers Hid in Back Room as Ferguson Store Was Looted, Set On Fire

Pork-Chop on August 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM

GWB on August 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Agree. Which is another reason I’m dead set against the mollycoddle Progressive crap that’s been going on since LBJ…stupid acts are stupid acts, no matter how many excuses you make for it.

I grew up poor, not having a lot of anything…do you think that excuse would have saved me if my mom or my uncles found out i was out robbing and looting? Hell no, I’d been safer IN jail…because nothing the Justice system could have done to me would have been as bad as what THEY would do to me once I got out.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

here’s a article from NRO that puts perspective in this for the right. We all are suspicious of out-of-control rogue authorities…and I’m sure we can all name a few prominent ones. And there has been comments over the last several months on the militarization of police…and, as the central power increases, the police power increases and abuses increase…thus the widely circulated attacks on gumshoe SWAT teams that kill people/pets in the wrong house, etc.

The criminal riot of course is a different category all together, and should be condemned across the board (but, sadly is not…and is actually justified from the rioters p.o.v, cf. Alinsky)

Whatever historical and contemporary injustices black Americans face, they are not in fact being habitually gunned down in cold blood by white-supremacist cops, and nor are they faced any longer with routine “lynching” or quotidian “vigilantism” or any of the other loaded and terrible words to which we are subjected whenever something awful happens. Still, the way to fight such hyperbole is to engage honestly with the topic and to acknowledge that — even when our understanding of the facts is limited — incidents such as this open old and real wounds. It is not to change or to dismiss the subject. Can it be any surprise that many black voters believe conservatives are deaf to their concerns when “this cop shot my unarmed son!” is met by so many with “but there are lots of citizen murders in this city; let’s talk about that instead”?

Furthers complicating this is the Leftist media who are sympathetic to anarchist movements (from the weather underground to ows)…and where if it bleeds, it leads.

I tend to believe that the majority of cops are honest people…perhaps caught up in very bad situations. Criminals don’t like cops. As I said before I think that body cameras would help…criminals are less likely to act out if there’s a video of it. Even in looting many avoid showing their face in the act.

r keller on August 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Or maybe you have to stop putting the blame on people like her (and by extension, myself) for not being able to singlehandedly stop thuggery.

Now, in my case, I don’t live in an urban community, and I was raised by the white half of my family (which also happens to apparently be partially of Jewish descent). But again, if the shooting was to start, it sounds like most of you would lump me right in with the thugs.

I’ve never voted for a Demoncrat in my life. I’ve never rioted or looted. I avoid “Gangsta” BS as a matter of course.

It’s really not right to say that I’m to blame for “Gangstas” and Thugs.

I didn’t vote for Obama. Don’t hang his (or Jesse Jackson’s, or Al Sharpton’s, or Melissa Harris-Perry’s) BS on my head.

HikaruKitsune on August 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM

It’s really not right to say that I’m to blame for “Gangstas” and Thugs.

HikaruKitsune on August 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I’m not blaming anyone. What I’m saying is that whatever is being done is not enough. If it were, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

gryphon202 on August 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM

wifarmboy on August 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I said they are conservative, not that they are voting GOP. There is a general distrust for politics, and politicians in the black community.

Speaking for myself as a conservative member of the black community when I see threads like this and some commenters group all blacks together with rioters, and criminals, and then we see very few conservatives even bother to come by our communities and speak the virtues of conservativism and directly attack the democrat perception, it’s hard.

Rand Paul has done that, and his stock has grown. You will notice even some black sites have praised Rand Paul and have begun to question the status quo.

For some Jewish people, speaking the virtues of Israel and support is important, same with other groups.

Take Asians for example they are generally conservative, and they voted in the high 70%s for GHB. And even GWB got over 65% of the Filipino vote, 80% Vietnamese, a large chunk Korean, etc.

But the GOP just doesn’t reach out to any of them, and the democrats do. (I am not talking handouts, or pandering), I am talking visiting their communities and listening to their concerns, and speaking to them on the virtues of conservatism.

and I understand people say they should find conservatism on their own, but when they’re surrounded by leftist negative perceptions like:
GOP is for white old men, or they hate minorities, some people need to first get past the false perceptions before they consider conservatism on it’s merits.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM

If you think the riots are bad now, wait till the Obama-Amnetized illegals steal what few jobs they have left and they’ll burn St Louis to the ground (not that it would be any great loss–a good chunk of the city is gone already and former denizens have fled to the suburbs).

What has most likely occurred–a policeman, either legitimately or illegitimately killed a suspect (you’ve got to remember that “witnesses” here are not impartial and will lie to nail a white cop –but they aren’t racists because they’re not white)) . Phase 2–”Sharptonesque” agitators stepped in to foment trouble. Phase 3–opportunistic thieves (who could care less is cops mowed down the entire community–themselves excepted, of course–found a great excuse to pillage, burn and plunder like Vandals sacking Rome.

MaiDee on August 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I trust the cops more than the politicized FBI.

txdoc on August 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Not everything is political.

See comments like this is why many in the conservative black community distrust the GOP.

An unarmed person was shot. And you are more worried about the cops “civil rights”

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM