Video: Riot tears through Missouri town over police shooting

posted at 10:41 am on August 11, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

It started as a vigil protest, and ended in teargas and looting. The shooting of an unarmed black teen in Ferguson, Missouri had the city on edge, and last night it exploded in anger:

CBS reported on the aftermath this morning:

A day of anger over a fatal police shooting of an unarmed black teen in suburban St. Louis turned to mayhem as people looted businesses, vandalized vehicles and confronted police in riot gear who tried to block access to parts of the city.

The tensions erupted after a candlelight vigil Sunday night for 18-year-old Michael Brown, who police said was shot multiple times Saturday after a scuffle involving the officer, Brown and another person in Ferguson, a predominantly black suburb of the city.

CBS affiliate KMOV-TV in St. Louis reports at least 12 businesses near the shooting scene were looted, including a convenience store, a check-cashing store, a boutique and a small grocery store. People took items from a sporting goods store and a cellphone retailer, and carted rims away from a tire store.

TV footage showed streams of people walking from a liquor store carrying bottles of alcohol, and in some cases protesters stood atop police cars or taunted officers who stood stoic, some carrying shields and batons. Video posted online by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch showed a convenience store on fire.

So far, it appears that no one died or got seriously injured during the riot, although that hasn’t been entirely confirmed yet. If so, consider that luck. Riots get very ugly very quickly, and usually include vendettas from old conflicts and new. That was the case in the LA riots of 1992 after the Rodney King verdict, which resulted in 53 deaths, more than two thousand injuries, and 11,000 arrests.

In the end, though, the LA riots did what the Ferguson riot did last night — damage the community that had the grievance in the first place. Riots are about rage and insanity, not justice or accountability, and it drives people away rather than heal, regardless of whether the underlying cause is just or not. It destroys investment, usually in areas which already suffer from a lack of investment in the first place, and mires the area even deeper into poverty and dysfunction. It’s senseless and harms the people that were allegedly victimized in the first place.

The riot will transform this shooting into a national issue now, if it hadn’t already. It will be interesting to see whether the police cars had dash cams or other surveillance technology that could have captured the incident (or perhaps cameras from nearby businesses), but it will most likely hinge on the eyewitness testimony. Don’t expect that to convince either side of the other’s arguments.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Why can’t you see why I so object to this?
Do you need to be ‘confronted’ for us to know you’re opposed to child abuse? Should I ‘confront’ you to determine how you feel about mugging old ladies?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM

If this thread were about child abuse or mugging old ladies and people on my side were making excuses for child abuse and mugging old ladies then you could reasonably expect me to state my position because apparently the position you see as the default isn’t the default with your fellow travelers.

If you’re offended because we want you to state your position on something so obvious then maybe you should direct your ire towards the other lefties here.

And lets go back to your comment – where you were responding to someone who called you racist:

You sound like a cliche Malkinite who has drunk from the ‘raaacccissssttt’ well.
Yawn.
I’m making no comment on this riot or this shooting here…haven’t read much of even the little info that is available.
But your beef with me is that I actually think there’s such a thing as racism, that it does exists – and not only in the cartoonish ways you deem it to.

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

You want to defend yourself against accusations of racism, that’s understandable but a reasonable reading of what you wrote is that you don’t have an opinion on violent riots (and a shooting) until you know more of the facts.

But apparently you miscommunicated. So instead of getting mad at us for taking a reasonable reading of what you said – in a thread where other lefties have defended the riots or made excuses – you could say, “hey, I should have said that more clearly”.

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

A very specific and simple question for you –
Is it a fact that Lois Lerner’s and others’ hard drives were criminally destroyed in an effort to obstruct this investigation.
Or is that a theory?
Just let me know which…a fact or a theory?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I suggest we ask the intellectually honest verbaluce:

It seems that within 2 days, the department’s internal ‘investigation’ fully cleared it’s officers.
I just saw something on the shooting of Michelle O’Connell in St. Augustine a few years back.
Problem with these things is you have police investigating their own.

verbaluce on January 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM

rogerb on August 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM

rogerb on August 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Bringing up verbaluce’s actual comments is just dishonest.

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM

A very specific and simple question for you –
Or is that a theory?
Just let me know which…a fact or a theory?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM

It’s a fact they failed. It’s highly unlikely all of them failed with no tampering. So no it has not been proven they were criminally destroyed (if you were honest you’d also not that the IRS said that they were unavailable because they had been “recycled”, so hard to conduct an investigation).

Again, you’re being dishonest and moving a goal post. I never said criminal destruction of evidence had been proven – but you’ve always been obstinate about this – claiming there was nothing here to see and that it’s perfectly reasonable for these hard drives to fail. You’ve regularly described thinking something stinks here as ridiculous wing nuttery. You don’t even trot out the “hey, this might deserve some investigation, lets see what it turns up”, instead you say there’s nothing to see here. Pure hackery.

And you – true to form – ignore the FACT that it’s illegal for the IRS not to archive these emails (as well as being a failure to follow internal IRS policies).

It’s you who are demonstrating your hackery here. You pick the ONE thing I mention where you have the most room to dodge and maneuver and change the goal posts and quibble.

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Again, you’re calling me dishonest because I do not accept the theory.
I will accept facts. Now, of course there’s nothing wrong with pursuing a theory or even with reasonable arguing that such must be true. And I understand why you are making that case.
But it has a lot to do with perspective. Yours is that something bad was done intentionally. So you find little details supportive of that – like recycled hard drives. ‘Suspicious’. But it’s not uncommon for the IRS to recycle hard drives and computers. Regardless of zero evidence at all that this was intentionally done in this case to obstruct this investigation – zero – the recycled hard drives as become one of the most ‘incriminating’ details for those who are convinced of the worst here.
So for me, this has always been for the most part a conclusion in search of a narrative.

Are you saying there hasn’t been an investigation? I mean, how much more investigated could it be?
What would resolve this for you – short of Obama taking a lie detector test? Could anything?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

rogerb on August 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM

That’s unfair. verby fully supports a real investigation into why all the lies from the IRS, why the victims of criminal acts within the IRS aren’t being talked to and the crimes investigated, and an investigation into miraculous claims of hard drive failures.

/sarc

It’s a wonder trick – verby thinks the investigation is illegitimate, ignores most of the discovered facts and latches on to some aspect not fully investigated and says the whole thing is a theory.

But verbaluce is honest – there’s no facts (supposedly) that the IRS did anything wrong and the investigation which has and might uncover facts is illegitimate. Amazing how that works.

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Classic verbaluce. Absolutely classic.

Ignore the many facts I’ve mentioned. If you really are interested in an honest debate go back to my list and respond to each one.

Yet, you cling to one aspect not fully investigated and claim I’m peddling in mere crazed theories. You cant even bring yourself to say that catastrophic hard drive failure of multiple hard drives only a week or two after being subpoenaed is suspicious (you do know how rare total catastrophic hard drive failure is right?). And, to top it off the emails aren’t archived (a crime). And the current head of the IRS quibbles about emails even being public documents (which they obviously are according to federal standards).

The WH lies and Holder refuses to investigate anything and Democrats decry the House investigation (which is limited) as a witch hunt.
Bureaucrats lie. Bureaucrats can’t remember who made decisions or why they visited the WH so many times. The bureaucrat at the center of it pleads the 5th. And you want to hold up this investigation as thorough and conclusive?

Absolute classic. This is exactly what I expected from you.

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe an actual criminal investigation from the justice dept and the FBI?

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Lie detector? Well, the WH has already been caught lying about several aspects of this.

But I’m sure as someone who values honest debate you’re going to address that. A

nd while were talking about Obama – maybe you can give us the details of the investigation he promised and apparently lead him to conclude that there’s not a smidgen of corruption?

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

LOL, wow verbalduece..your stupidity is hilarious. But mostly just pathetic.

HumpBot Salvation on August 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

gwelf –
Because I hold you in higher regard than you do me – I will for the last time do this. How could that be a ‘reasonable’ reading?
For all your complaints about me, why would you ever think I was supporting violent riots?
You didn’t misread my comment….rogerb saw a way to warp it for you. You’re actually including the follow up sentence that rogerb didn’t. And he didn’t for a reason The ‘here’ is that second sentence. I was simply clarifying that in saying ‘racism does exist’ I was not making a comment on racism as a factor in the MO riots or the shooting. I was responding to someone who out of the blue called me a racist (I hadn’t commented at all on the post at that point).
But whatever.
I’m as exhausted as everyone else must be bored by all of this.

(And just fyi – I’ll be running away soon.
Not because I’m scared but because the ferry leaves on schedule.)

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Would that be the investigation that’s uncovered facts you and other lefties wont discuss?

Would that be the investigation filled with stonewalling bureaucrats who can’t answer basic questions? Where they acknowledge that what the IRS did was wrong they just have no idea who directed it?

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

And honestly, would you accept a finding of no wrongdoing by either?
Do you accept the decision not to prosecute Lerner for the contempt of Congress charge.?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

gwelf –
But whatever.
I’m as exhausted as everyone else must be bored by all of this.

(And just fyi – I’ll be running away soon.
Not because I’m scared but because the ferry leaves on schedule.)

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM

You said you were not going to comment on the riots and the next phrase was because you didn’t have enough information (also referring to the shooting).

So, your contention is that your comment which you spent 10 seconds typing is some masterpiece of communication?

And no, I didn’t think it likely you supported violent riots but I found it interesting that you “wouldn’t comment” and that you treat a call to clarify your position as some great effrontery to your character. I believe you when you say that you don’t support riots (other lefties here seem to) but I don’t presume to know exactly what someone thinks who I only know through the internet.

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM

And honestly, would you accept a finding of no wrongdoing by either?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Responding to a question with a deflecting question is the hallmark of honest discussion I guess.

Classic verbaluce dodge!

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

verbaluce on August 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Sorry I warped a direct quote of an individual sentence containing an idea that was clearly separate (since you obviously hit “enter” to continue in a new paragraph) from the next unrelated sentence, verbaluce.

rogerb on August 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM

For some reason I’m reminded of the guy who was complaining about how marriage sucked and griping about his six ex-wives until another fellow asked what they all had in common.

rogerb on August 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

And honestly, would you accept a finding of no wrongdoing by either?

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Classic verbaluce dodge!

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I’ll be more direct – I would at this point fully support a criminal investigation. We can agree on that – even if for different reasons. I know you hate that I see Issa’s efforts as a circus and a show, but it is. So I’d be all for something serious, focused, and professional.

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I disagree with your characterization of Issa’s efforts (any thoughts on Elija Cummings illegally requesting tea party info from the IRS) but I’m glad you think actual criminal investigations should take place.

So, why hasn’t Obama and Holder ordered investigations?

And why does it take so much effort to drag this out of you?

gwelf on August 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM

So I’d be all for something serious, focused, and professional.

verbaluce on August 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

You are so busted in this thread. You know that Obama refuses to appoint a special prosecutor to this, yet you only criticize Issa instead of criticizing Obama/Holder. Typical of hypocrites like you.

Problem with these things is you have police investigating their own.

verbaluce on January 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM