Hey, maybe the GOP should tank the midterms

posted at 8:01 pm on August 11, 2014 by Allahpundit

A fine bit of trolling from lefty Bill Scher. By the end of it, I think he’s almost talked himself into believing it. Almost.

There is a fundamental breakdown of trust between the party leadership and the conservative rank-and-file. Attempts by the leadership to tone down rhetoric, calibrate policy positions away from the ideological fringes, and avoid all-or-nothing legislative battles are irrationally decried as surrender. Such pragmatism would be crucial at the moment Republicans are in full control of Congress and carry a heightened responsibility to help govern, but they will be in no position to deliver. If the past few years have taught us anything, it is that the “party of no” GOP does not want to actually govern…

That track record suggests a Republican-controlled House and Senate wouldn’t completely jump the rails. But even when Boehner wins, he wins ugly. And if the GOP wins the Senate, these fissures will constantly be laid bare in the upper chamber too, preventing the leadership from presenting a consistent and welcoming face to the general electorate, and putting Republican presidential contenders in one awkward position after another.

A titanic budget battle, with the usual mix of unreasonable demands and threat of government shutdown, will be irresistible to the Tea Party once Republicans run all of Congress. But an outside-the-Beltway candidate like Jeb Bush or Chris Christie, inclined to run as someone who can end the federal government’s chronic dysfunction, will be hard-pressed to choose between criticizing Washington or praising the priorities of the Washington Republicans. If another natural disaster hits — especially in a key primary state or swing state — and conservatives again fight against emergency aid, presidential candidates who have a vote in Congress will be forced to choose between the compassion of the average voter and frugality of the debt-obsessed right-winger.

How is this meaningfully different from what we have now? The House was, is, and will remain in GOP hands; tea partiers who want to force a fight with Obama over the budget will still have that outlet regardless of what happens in November. If Democrats shocked the world by holding the Senate in November, Jeb Bush and Chris Christie and everyone else in the 2016 field who wants to inch towards the center for the presidential election would still be quizzed night and day about whatever tea partiers are up to in the House. The only important difference between the GOP retaking or not retaking the Senate is that Republicans in the chamber who are also thinking of running — i.e. Rubio, Paul, and Cruz — may have to cast actual votes on tea-party legislation from the House that they otherwise wouldn’t have to vote on if Harry Reid was still in charge. But then, that underestimates McConnell’s (and Boehner’s) willingness and ability to bottle up controversial legislation for the sake of protecting the party in 2016, especially under ferocious pressure from establishment outfits like the Chamber of Commerce to do so. Some conservatives mighty hypothetically want a vote on a bill to repeal the federal minimum wage; I guarantee you that Boehner and McConnell won’t allow that vote, knowing how well the minimum wage polls. If anything, having McConnell in charge might protect Rubio et al. from having to take hard votes that would otherwise be scheduled by a devious Reid. And I think this also underestimates the willingness and ability of conservatives like Cruz to moderate — a little — before the next election. Does anyone really think Cruz is going to lead another shutdown “defund” effort with a general election a year away and his own name potentially on the ballot? C’mon.

In fact, Scher’s piece inadvertently made me rethink my assumption that the midterms are almost totally meaningless. The only major difference between a Democratic-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled Senate, I thought, is how the votes might shake out on a Supreme Court vacancy — and even there I suspect that GOP moderates will cross over and confirm basically anyone Obama nominates. If you believe that, then Scher’s got a case. If tanking the midterms would make things a little easier on Republican presidential candidates, why not tank ‘em? There’s nothing at stake. Stay home. After reading various lefty defenses of Obama’s executive power grabs, though, I see that there is an important reason to take back the Senate. Ezra Klein et al. are citing protracted congressional gridlock as a reason for O to act more aggressively; Congress, by its inaction, has created some sort of power vacuum and now the executive needs to fill it. If that’s their pretext for blessing immense, unprecedented executive action like a unilateral amnesty for five million illegals, then by all means let’s solve that gridlock right away. Vote Senate Democrats out and Senate Republicans in. Now, with both chambers controlled by the same party, even lefties will concede that Obama’s authority to act on his own has shrunk and that he has no choice but to return to more traditional forms of executive action — in theory. I’ve got a funny feeling that what they’ll do in practice is claim that gridlock still exists, only now between Congress and the executive, and of course in case of a stalemate like that the tie should go to whichever branch is controlled by the Democrats. But let’s at least force them to make that argument.

Comments

LMAO.

Stopped reading right there. This idiot demonstrates the same level of credibility as Zero …

ShainS on August 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM

But, on the other hand …..

davidk on August 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

How is this meaningfully different from what we have now?

To Sher… it means that the left is losing.

Walter L. Newton on August 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Hahaha Hey give me whatever you’re smoking.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Was recently polled at home via phone regarding my choice for US Senate here in South Carolina.I told the pollster that since I was a conservative I didn’t have a horse in the race so I was staying home.Screw you GOP!

redware on August 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

AP–the 2014 is not just an election..it’s a restraining order…

HatfieldMcCoy on August 11, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Answered this (gave in to the trolling) in the headlines.

It’s just stupidity from a stupid person.

Lookey there, bit the hook a second time.

Diluculo on August 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM

What a great idea!

Let’s do intentionally what the GOP does so well in most elections without even trying!!

Brilliant!!!

RedPepper on August 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Not going to read…
But I will comment on the headline…
The GOP is tanking its midterm elections. It does not seem to be willing to actually try to win. Fortunately(?), like George W Bush and the Republican congress of 2006, the Democrats have completely destroyed their chances of victory by turning the masses against themselves.
The GOP is not going to win, they are just going to be the last man standing at the end of a complete gutting by the electorate.
Just because they will gain seats in the senate does not mean they are winning. It just means there is no other choice left.
I do not think they get any more chances after 2016 however. If they blow the next 6 years the Democrats have handed them, then I do not think there will be a Republican party anymore. I doubt there is a viable one going forward at this point.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM

[If Republicans take the Senate] I’ve got a funny feeling that what they’ll do in practice is claim that gridlock still exists, only now between Congress and the executive, and of course in case of a stalemate like that the tie should go to whichever branch is controlled by the Democrats. But let’s at least force them to make that argument.

To what end? To highlight another display of Democrat or media hypocrisy? To what end? LIVs don’t even read the highlights.

Either the Republican Senate goes to work with the House immediately to begin undoing Obamism, or we really don’t need a Republican Senate. Just provides an opportunity for the Dems and media to make the “greater gridlock” argument made above.

de rigueur on August 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Hey, maybe the GOP should tank the midterms

I’m sure they have thought about it. Well……Barbour certainly anted up.

Bmore on August 11, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Have the trolls been around today?

The string of sucky days must be starting to get to them.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

redware on August 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Yep. A liberal Republican is no better than a democRAT. The GOP has lost it’s base. And they have only themselves to blame.

bimmcorp on August 11, 2014 at 8:19 PM

What a great idea!

Brilliant!!!

RedPepper on August 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I do not like agreeing with you. But that certainly seems to be the truth these days.
Obviously for opposing reasons that you would say that.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM

The string of sucky days must be starting to get to them.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I suspect that string is going to get quite a bit longer as they watch their progressive-fascist agenda and vision implode.

Athos on August 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

RedPepper on August 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Obviously for opposing reasons that you would say that.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Heh.

astonerii, did you mistakenly think that was a comment by Ned Pepper?

ShainS on August 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

#gopworsethanthedems

Because they PRETEND to Conservatives…..but they are just as Progressive as the DEMS.

PappyD61 on August 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM

astonerii, did you mistakenly think that was a comment by Ned Pepper?

ShainS on August 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Damn, guilty as charged.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM

ShainS on August 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Probably stoned…again.

Athos on August 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I enjoy the peace while they are hiding. But I also enjoy the total ignorance of their ranting.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Just don’t reelect Thad Cochran.

Cindy Munford on August 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Take the Senate and the Republicans have an excellent chance to make Obama veto popular legislation. This would be a great set up for the 2016 election.

Of course, the RINO wing couldn’t really bring itself to do anything useful for the country…

trigon on August 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I’ve already decided to stay home. Since the GOPe told me what they really think of me as a Reagan conservative with those vile racist robocalls, flyers and radio ads in Mississippi — namely that I am a racist with a sheet and pointy hood in my closet who spends his spare time burning crosses — I will be damned if that party will ever get my vote again.

pdigaudio on August 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM

the “party of no” GOP does not want to actually govern…

How long has this guy been asleep?

GarandFan on August 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I hear that. That said, I have a good supply of clue-by-fours when they want to demonstrate their ignorance.

Scher’s efforts to offer a series of back-handed compliments towards the GOPe / Quisling Republicans speaks volumes on his fundamental dishonesty and unwillingness to acknowledge the real legacy of the last 5 1/2 years.

Athos on August 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Hahaha Hey give me whatever you’re smoking.

CW on August 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Barry must be sharing some of his good stash. He must have gotten a little side shopping in during that fundraising trip to Colorado last month.

parke on August 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Concern trolling by liberals. LOVE IT!! Will tune in just to see this libtards head explode on election night.

Liberal tears sustain me.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM

The “ferocious pressure” on the GOPe will be to enact immigration reform and amnesty to please the Chamber of Commerce …

… and they will do it with Democratic votes … Obama will sign it … and it will officially be GAME OVER

I’ve been saying for the last six weeks:

The GOPe is perfectly happy with Let.It.Burn because it’s passive rather than active in nature.

They expect it to cost the Democrats more net votes than the GOPe candidates and they just ran their “proof of concept” test case on how to defeat true conservatives.

So now it it time to change from the passive to an all encompassing, everywhere on the map voting against ANY GOPe candidate running for anything from “dog catcher to U.S. Senator” as long as the Republican Party lets stand the Mississippi outcome from June 28th

Or in a shorter, specifically targeting term you can relate to …

Burn.It.Down

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM

O/T Actor Robin Williams committed suicide .

RIP

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Glad to see the ignorant bigots didn’t run you off.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

The GOP has already given up, so this article is a bit late. However, at least the Left is consistent in saying the the GOP wins when it loses.

SouthernGent on August 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Dang, A. P. That picture you put on the front of this thread is about enough to make me agree with Scher. But then I saw a picture of Harry Reid, and I said, “Naaah.”

It would be nice, though, if there were a way for McConnell and Cochran to both lose, and have the Republicans still take the Senate.

Who would be majority leader, then?

notropis on August 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Nice to see the Lefties sweat.

It was only yesterday (literally), lib and Ned were telling us the country’s changing.

Maybe, but it would appear not their way.

formwiz on August 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Summary: “Because… SHUT UP!!”

Tard on August 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Glad to see the ignorant bigots didn’t run you off.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Never that! Thanks for your kind and supportive words on the other thread, you are a true class act.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

notropis on August 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Unfortunately, if McConnell and Cochran lose while the republicans take the senate, there won’t be enough cushion for the republicans to keep it in 2016. It will be their own fault, but it will also be harder to undo the destruction 0bama has wrought if there is a republican president.

I will leave it up to the voters of Mississippi and Kentucky though.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Liberal tears sustain me.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM

SPOT ON.

Always enjoy your posts, BTW.

ToddPA on August 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM

One thing Lefties should have taught Righties, you don’t win by losing. Every fight is important and should be fought tooth and nail. You want to know why the strategy of losing in order to win later is flawed? Voters don’t back losers, you got the attitude of a loser now you’ll find yourself without the votes to win later – someone more deserving and more willing to fight will take your place.

Ukiah on August 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

you are a true class act.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Hush your mouth. I am a cad and meanie. But, I dislike ignorant bigots more than being a cad and a meanie.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I’m not sure I care anymore whether Republicans win or lose. I lost interest in the GOP when it lost interest in preserving our borders.

Murf76 on August 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM

astoneril: despite the surface similarity, I am not Ned Pepper; in fact, I’m pretty sure I was here at HA first, though I don’t post a lot. Ned Pepper, IIRC, was the outlaw who was shot by Rooster Cogburn in True Grit. Why he is trolling here at Hot Air is a mystery to me …

RedPepper on August 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM

SPOT ON.

Always enjoy your posts, BTW.

ToddPA on August 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Thank you so much but your too kind (^_^) I always enjoy your posts as well …

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Desperado on display

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM

you are a true class act.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Lolz!!!

Bmore on August 11, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I hope John Boehner has a serious challenger for Speaker and he loses. He is a terrible Speaker, IMHO, although I’m not sure who would do a better job, no one in leadership now, that’s for sure.

McConnell will also be a pathetic leader in the Senate. Someone with a plan could have broken Reid and forced him to take some votes, McConnell didn’t even try.

bflat879 on August 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM

pdigaudio on August 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM

You poor thing. Harry Reid thinks you are making the principled stand against this GOPe.

V7_Sport on August 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, I know. Totally impractical. Just wishful thinking.

notropis on August 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM

you are a true class act.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

….?

You get to be a cad and a meanie to the ignorant bigots.

Just sayin’

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM

There is a fundamental breakdown of trust between the party (GOP)leadership and the conservative rank-and-file.

Bill Scher @theweek.com (uncertain date) at 6:08 AM

Awright … who “blabbed ?”

listens2glenn on August 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Two words :

Harry Reid

Two more words :

Committee chairmen.

If replacing Dianne Feinstein as chair of the Intelligence Committee isn’t important to you, then stay home and don’t vote in Novemeber.

MichaelGabriel on August 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM

These are not the elections you are waiting for. Move along.

dddave on August 11, 2014 at 9:19 PM

tea partiers who want to force a fight with Obama

would make things a little easier on Republican presidential candidates

It’s so obvious how HA hates conservatives, they don’t even try to hide it. They use the same demonizing tone and verbiage the left does.

peacenprosperity on August 11, 2014 at 9:20 PM

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I’m usually a cad and a meanie to everybody.

Except Cindy.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 9:23 PM

No, no–the gridlock created by the Obama veto means that the legislative branches must fill the void and act because of the dysfunction created by Obama.

blofeld42 on August 11, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I hope John Boehner has a serious challenger for Speaker and he loses

The leadership election will not be effected by the elections in November. They will have the house elections before the new members are seated, just like in 2010, so the squishy’s can keep Boehner in power to damage conservatives as much as possible. That will give the losers a chance to rebound in 2016.

peacenprosperity on August 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I’m usually a cad and a meanie to everybody.

Except Cindy.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 9:23 PM

… and MG …

… and Sophie …

… and Scrumpy …

… and Newtie …

… and COL …
and anybody else see a pattern here?

(ALT is not an out – you pick on ALT like she’s your kid sister)

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM

You got that wrong.

Its ALyT.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM

V7_Sport on August 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM

And everyone knows that it was people like you who allowed (and likely wanted) the GOP to move as far left as it has. Senate majority leader Harry Reid never would have existed without people like you to continuously move the politicians to the left.

astonerii on August 11, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Its ALyT.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I know
… just wanted to draw out the big brother reaction.

;)

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM

PolAgnostic on August 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Damn, I’m gonna’ have to go think about this…has my whole misogynistic life been a sham?

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I am ok with that. Isn’t that actually the best-case scenario? How great would it be to have the party in charge publicly say “We have no desire to govern you. Please, go govern yourselves.”

Komsomoletz on August 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Have the trolls been around today?

The string of sucky days must be starting to get to them.

cozmo on August 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Ned Pecker has been hanging around like a bad rash.

slickwillie2001 on August 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Best piece you have written in a while Pundit. The GOP could still do something to cause me to stay home. For now though, I plan on showin up and voting party line. You have made me more convinced to do just that.

KMav on August 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Re Disability_Dan

Everyone? Everyone nominated you as their spokesman? How is it that I missed that? Does everyone know that you are out to keep the left in power by jerking around the rubes? Is everyone familiar with your history here of begging, -outright begging- people to toss elections to the democrats?

There were at least three other times we had smaller discussions. Maybe you should get a notepad and write this down. (I did a$s#0Ie) If the Republican nominee is Romney, then astonerii and his extended family will be voting for Obama.
astonerii on February 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I vote Obama if the only other choice on the ballot is Romney.
astonerii on October 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Me, I will convince my 28 member extended family to vote Obama [...]
You can b!tch and moan all you want about how unfair it is….
astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

If you cannot live with another 4 years of Obama, pity to you for being such a pathetically weak person.
astonerii on March 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I will not go third party, I will go for the throat and vote direct for Obama.
astonerii on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would vote Obama just to shut people like you up.
astonerii on November 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I will vote Obama.
astonerii on April 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I vote Obama if Romney is on the ticket. I will not go so far as to send a donation or put a sticker on my bumper, I never put stickers on my bumper, but I will vote.
astonerii on July 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

On and on and on like that… You have never found a GOP election that you didn’t want to lose to the democrats. It gets you attention and you like that. It makes you feel powerful and you like that too. “Look at me everyone! I’m going to give this monkey a machine gun and drop him off at the orphanage! Don’t blame me if bad things happen…I really mean it this time!” Then you get to hear people of good will plead with you to not be such an irresponsible fool… Aren’t you soooo big! Gee, I’ll bet that’s just the reality of the situation as well! You have winner oozing out of every post you make here. You are Gordon Gekko Jr and that fact couldn’t be any more crystal clear with every word you type and every hour you spend here. .

These comments of yours are the most accurate because they show the allegiance that you and perhaps some of the other hyper indignant perpetual victims.. (Can someone please tell me when the heII it became “conservative” to constantly claim to be a victim? ) have to the United States:

I can vote for Obama. This gives the most value. I am young enough to fight in a civil war today and a decade or so more, thus if I vote Obama, and he can bring the collapse of the American dollar and our economy faster than the R, my vote for him gives me value.
astonerii on June 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM

My argument that the United States of America would finally fail around 2022 do to fiscal limitation seems to have been very conservative. We may not get to 2016 without some kind of breakdown.
The sooner the better I say.

astonerii on July 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Such patriotism! When “everyone” made you their spokesman did they know that you want the country to collapse so we can all be brought down to your level? This “everyone” that you supposedly speak for, they sound like a bunch of morons who are more interested in putting on preening displays of butthurt and indignation on the web than helping the country, since I’m not one of them you don’t speak for everyone.
I hope to God that it’s become so inescapable to people in this country what a disaster Obama has been, a categorical catastrophe, that it wont matter if you peel away a few suckers and rubes. I hope to God we can get rid of Harry Reid, despite little liars like you doing their best to keep him and his ilk in power.

V7_Sport on August 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Did I accidentally stumble upon The Onion?

Pelosi Schmelosi on August 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Concern trolling at its finest. If anyone actually tracked the money for “Sandy relief,” you’d be shocked to see how much Chris Christie “Stronger Than the Storm” ad-pron was paid for. A conservative response would be targeted towards needs… not a liberal wishlist of miscellaneous and non-germane items like support for Alaskan fish hatcheries.

blammm on August 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Therein lies the problem. The constitution makes no recognition of senority or rank in both houses of congress beyond the formality of maintaining order. The establishment has carved out power for themselves by bringing in rules such as the majority leader can bring bills forward to a vote or bottle them up.

Recall McConnell being a pro at the arcane rules? How powerful would he be if the constitution stated that any bill brought forward by a sitting member must be heard and voted on with each vote recorded?

Likewise committees would see their power diminished if a rookie member could submit a budget related bill without being vetted by Ryan’s committee?

AH_C on August 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Well, poop !
Just can’t hang around to bug y’all …..
Will read y’all in the am, tho !!

Blessings upon all who enter QOTD.

pambi on August 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Well, poop !
Just can’t hang around to bug y’all …..
Will read y’all in the am, tho !!

Blessings upon all who enter QOTD.

pambi on August 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

See how tired I am ??
Wrong thread !!
LOLOL.

pambi on August 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Wow. That article is just riddled with false assumptions.

For starters, he seems to believe the Tea Parties are just extremists who will ruin the Republican brand, the moderates are the responsible adults (they’re responsible, all right, but not the way he means) who will keep future Republican candidates viable, and, of course, the Democrats are the non-ideological and pragmatic elder statesmen.

Besides all that, I’m not so sure the GOP isn’t already trying to tank the midterms. The only reason I don’t think they’re trying to lose this time is that I’ve been watching how they tried to win the last two presidential elections.

The idea that it doesn’t matter who has control of Congress is absurd. Congress has more influence on the economy than the president. People keep wanting to act like the economy rises or falls on the president, but the only time I see when that was true was when the president was Reagan, and he probably couldn’t have had as much influence on the economy if the Nixon/Ford/Carter Keynesian approach hadn’t driven the economy into the dirt for so many years.

But just when I really want to denounce the idea of not caring who controls Congress, I look at the current crop of squishy go-along-to-get-along Republican Senators, and have to wonder if they would really be any improvement over the Democrats.

Even so, I suppose they might actually pass a real budget and occasionally vote on House legislation, so they would have to be an improvement.

Not that I’ll vote for Cochran under any circumstances. If we have to lose an occasional election to a Democrat in order to get rid of a useless incumbent, that looks more and more like a plausible tradeoff. At least we might have a chance at a decent conservative in the following election.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Amen and hang in there. Don’t let the GOPe shills get you down for drawing your red line.

If the immigration crisis had broken loose back in the Spring, probably more incumbents would have been cantorized. That or McConnell wouldn’t have felt cocky enough to say that tp/conservatives were the enemy. That’s Rands dilemma now. He gave support to Mitch and made a bunch of pro amnesty noises and now that the wind is blowing in a different way he’s literally scurrying away from the topic like a cockroach exposed to light. Lol.

AH_C on August 12, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Wow, the fear of less government has got people in a panic.

Meremortal on August 12, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Years ago the GOP controlled the House & Senate…the border was never secured, for example. In 2006, Liberals took a Super-majority in the House & Senate…the border was never secured. What was demonstrated was NOT the lack of ABILITY to get it / things done … it was the lack of DESIRE to get it /things done. The size of government has grown equally to the desire for power…as government has grown, personal liberty and freedom has decreased…and the less Americans have been truly REPRESENTED. Whether it is Bonner or Pelosi, McConnell or Reid, personal and party power, financial gain, and ideology has trumped Constitution, law, & what is best for America. It’s not a ‘GOP’ thing…it’s not a ‘DNC’ thing…it’s a political betrayal by those with power in power who want to stay in power.

easyt65 on August 12, 2014 at 6:46 AM

V7_Sport on August 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Hi Everyone, my name is v7_sport and I joined HotAir to push and shove Romney down your throats.
Thanks for another 4 years of Obama.
Everyone here on this site knows what you are about. Moving the Republican party to the left.

astonerii on August 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Sure, Romney would have made a better President than Obama. But then so would Daffy Duck.

pdigaudio on August 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM

By this reasoning, the Left should surrender completely and allow the Right to besmirch itself with power until 2016. Not that they won’t

WyattsTorch on August 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Funny AP has a pic of Turtle McConnell and Boehnhead.

The establishment has been trying to alienate, pi$$ off and drive away Conservative and Tea Party voters for the last 3 YEARS.

The establishment, which includes Preibus and the rest of the (R) “leadership” are absolutely willing, even eager, to lose races AS LONG AS the candidate losing is Conservative or Tea Party. They won’t support them, and will actively work to defeat them.

They’re working on losing support for 2016 now as well. The establishment is actively working to purge the GOP of all Conservatives and anyone supporting the Tea Party.

I have already dumped the GOP, and will never go back again.

Meople on August 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Strange that as a Tea Party member I am NOT a right winger. We are for what the Constitution set up, nothing more. However, Demos, RINOS and moderates hate us because they will lose their honey pots once we get decent patriotic representation back in our Congress and the White House. Sorry, but you all have made yourselves filthy rich on our backs while not representing us even though you know where we stand and in the majority on that stand. You must go and now, so pack up your stuff and prepare to move out of our way and our Congress. Enough of the donkey/elephant stuff. We want OUR country back, limited government, reduced spending and taxation (remember, the power to tax is the power to destroy which you all are so intent on doing on an ongoing basis). Like a broken dish, off you go to the trash and never more to be seen on any political basis. We want statesmen and not you!

Roselle on August 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM

astonerii on August 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I joined this site before the election and started off supporting Bachman, so you are lying again.

Thanks for another 4 years of Obama.

Said the clown who campaigned for him.

Appeal to popularity fallacy aside, I have been working to prevent the divorce of conservatives from the GOP which will move the country left. You are a parasite who sides with the left to help wreck the country. That makes you a traitor.

V7_Sport on August 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I joined this site before the election and started off supporting Bachman……….

V7_Sport on August 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM