Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on August 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

“We have striking evidence obtained from Yazidis fleeing Sinjar and some who escaped death, and also crime scene images that show indisputably that the gangs of the Islamic States have executed at least 500 Yazidis after seizing Sinjar,” Sudani said in a telephone interview, in his first remarks to the media on the issue…

Some of the victims, including women and children were buried alive in scattered mass graves in and around Sinjar,” Sudani said…

“The terrorist Islamic State has also taken at least 300 Yazidi women as slaves and locked some of them inside a police station in Sinjar and transferred others to the town of Tal Afar. We are afraid they will take them outside the country.”

***

U.S military forces continued to attack Islamic terrorists in northern Iraq on Sunday, successfully conducting several airstrikes from a mix of manned fighter jets and drones to defend Kurdish forces near Irbil, according to the United States Central Command, or CentCom.

A CentCom release said that at approximately 2:15 a.m. ET, “U.S. aircraft struck and destroyed an (Islamic State of al-Sham and Iraq, or ISIS) armed truck that was firing on Kurdish forces located in the approaches to Irbil.”

Several more armed trucks and mortar positions were destroyed in the subsequent five hours, military officials said.

***

President Barack Obama’s war in Iraq just got more ambitious.

Speaking to reporters before departing for a two week vacation with his family on Martha’s Vineyard, President Obama said the U.S. had to make sure the Islamic State “is not engaging in actions that could cripple a country.”…

No wonder the president said the new military campaign would last months and not weeks.

All of these goals are fine as they are, but they go way beyond the mission Obama spelled out on Friday in a formal notification to Congress that he was launching air strikes inside of Iraq.

***

Buoyed by U.S. airstrikes the previous day, Kurdish pesh merga fighters said they pushed back an attempt by the extremists to overrun one of their artillery positions on the northern edge of the dust-blown town of Makhmour, south of Irbil. Makhmour was seized by Islamic State fighters Thursday.

At the same time, however, commanders said Islamic State fighters had begun to return to positions that U.S. airstrikes had forced them to flee — a reminder that the so-far limited intervention may represent only the beginning of what President Obama warned Saturday could be a long campaign. Hours later, the U.S. military announced it had carried out four more airstrikes, in the Sinjar area farther west…

[T]here was little indication the airstrikes had done much more than slow the militant blitz through Iraq and Syria, where Islamic State forces now govern a vast swath of territory in the name of their self-proclaimed caliphate…

Unless the pesh merga are able to make advances, “it would seem likely that further [Islamic State] progress or escalated U.S. airstrikes are the only eventualities,” said Charles Lister of the Brookings Doha Center in Qatar. “Airstrikes by themselves can only ever represent a potential temporary fix against a force like the Islamic State.”

***

U.S. spy agencies have begun to see groups of fighters abandoning al-Qaeda affiliates in Yemen and Africa to join the rival Islamist organization that has seized territory in Iraq and Syria and been targeted in American airstrikes, U.S. officials said…

Counterterrorism analysts at the CIA and other agencies have so far seen no indication that an entire al-Qaeda node or any of its senior leaders are prepared to switch sides. But officials said they have begun watching for signs of such a development.

The launching of U.S. airstrikes has raised new questions, including whether the bombings will hurt the Islamic State’s ability to draw recruits or elevate its status among jihadists. “Does that increase the spigot or close it?” said a senior U.S. counterterrorism official, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity and noted that U.S. military operations in Afghanistan and elsewhere have crippled al-Qaeda but also served as rallying cries against the United States…

“It’s not to the point where it’s causing splintering within the affiliates,” said the senior U.S. counterterrorism official. But the defections have accelerated in recent months, officials said, and also involve fighters from groups in Libya and elsewhere that are not formally part of al-Qaeda.

***

The likely increased terrorist threat in the West that will arise in the coming weeks and months from U.S. air strikes in Iraq should be weighed against the risks of letting ISIS grow unchecked.

If ISIS is able to consolidate its territorial gains, it could set up training camps to rival any run by al Qaeda in Afghanistan before 9/11. Though its focus may be in Iraq and Syria for now, its viscerally anti-Western ideology means it would be foolish to discount it as a major potential future threat.

Though the unfolding humanitarian crisis in Iraq may have left the Obama administration little choice but to act, the concern is the limited US aerial campaign has now stirred the hornet’s nest without doing anything to decisively degrade ISIS.

And there could be one other unintended consequence. A rally-round-the-flag effect may now strengthen the ISIS position in the global jihadist movement, leading to even higher levels of fundraising and recruitment.

***

Analysts and U.S. officials estimate ISIS has as many as 10,000 fighters in Iraq and Syria, including those who were freed from prisons by ISIS and Sunni loyalists who have joined the fight as the group advanced.

But that number likely doesn’t include these latest recruits, mostly young men between the ages of 16 and 25 who are primarily poor, unemployed and lack an education, the two Iraqi senior defense officials told CNN…

“Once they are in, (ISIS) gives them cars to drive, guns, cell phones and cash money,” said one man, who lives in Mosul and has direct knowledge of ISIS recruit efforts.

In Mosul, for example, ISIS recruiting efforts appear to begin at information centers that have been set up around the city.

***

Chris Turpen of Chandler, Arizona, a 45-year-old architectural project manager, also sees a U.S. responsibility to Iraq. That troubles him.

“Once you break it, you own it. But it’s a war that will never be won,” Turpen said.

The Islamic State fighters are fanatics who “will never go away,” he said. “Don’t get me wrong, we should kill every one of them, but we’ll never get there. These are people that just hate America.”

He thinks that Obama “had to go back in.” The president has promised not to send ground troops, but Turpen would not mind if that happened.

“It’s a classic example of choosing the wrong that’s more right,” he said.

***

“The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad—there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle—the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled,” [Hillary] Clinton said…

“You know, when you’re down on yourself, and when you are hunkering down and pulling back, you’re not going to make any better decisions than when you were aggressively, belligerently putting yourself forward,” she said. “One issue is that we don’t even tell our own story very well these days.”

I responded by saying that I thought that “defeating fascism and communism is a pretty big deal.” In other words, that the U.S., on balance, has done a good job of advancing the cause of freedom.

Clinton responded to this idea with great enthusiasm: “That’s how I feel! Maybe this is old-fashioned.” And then she seemed to signal that, yes, indeed, she’s planning to run for president. “Okay, I feel that this might be an old-fashioned idea, but I’m about to find out, in more ways than one.”

***

Lindsey Graham on Sunday said that President Obama ordered airstrikes on ISIS targets in Iraq in order to “avoid a bad news story.” The strikes, he argued, will not prevent the jihadist group from tightening its grip over the country or from plotting attacks on the U.S.

***

Via the Corner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

petunia on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I’m not a Romney fan, but he would be a lot better than Barry. But then, who wouldn’t be? The bar has been set about as low as it can go.

Unless Liz Warren replaces him.

cat_owner on August 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Our government foreign policy is worst than the French. We have become a mercenary country. We fight for the highest bidder.

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

“government’s, worse”. Study up.
How much did you get for your services to Obama? Not much, I be thinking.

arnold ziffel on August 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM

What a mucking whiner

Schadenfreude on August 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM

The Seekers – I’ll never find another you (1968)

Schadenfreude on August 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Wait until Chelsea has the baby. The media will be in a frenzy. They will treat it like the royal birth.

Because to most media, the Kennedys and Clintons are royalty.

cat_owner on August 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Bet that offspring ain’t as purty as princess Kate’s.

arnold ziffel on August 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM

San Catri – Popa Chubby

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

“government’s, worse”. Study up.
How much did you get for your services to Obama? Not much, I be thinking.

arnold ziffel on August 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Thanks grammar nazi.

How much did I get for my services? Obama was just at my house the other day and he did a great job massaging my back and rubbing my feet. I am very happy.

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

You’re linking to a source which is locked.

However, I know what it’s about, since it was in the HA headlines earlier. I say what I said there – it’s good to see the the leftists get religion on genocide.

On ISIS you and obama have the souls of the dead on your souls. ISIS is obama’s gift and he owns it, in full, no matter how many excuses any of you will attempt to make.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Oh hell, the bar has been lowered, padlocked and the lights turned out.
After 8 years of this…I think we’ll ALL need a bar to turn to.

Unless Liz Warren replaces him.

cat_owner on August 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Cripes…don’t EVEN.

Bad enough you got dim bulbs like Kerry & Hillary running around like they deserve the damn title…Hell, I don’t honestly think that even Biden will put his all into a run for the WH…even HE knows he’s got ZERO chance of winning.

Warren is just a plain old hippie wanna-be She’d have a better chance of running for Governor of Massachusetts (especially with Patrick term limited)and knowing how bad those hacks are ruining the state year by year, she’d probably get it too.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

You should have sent him to Camp David. The copter in his back looked horrific.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM

As long as that blue suit still fits I don’t think you have to worry about losing any cool, Arnold.

thatsafactjack on August 10, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Oh it does, same weight as ever. Have to take you and your girlfriends downtown for questioning about a crime. Or stay at the pool.

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM

see the that the leftists get religion on genocide.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Notice how the trolls show up when the man they insist represents the epitome of their ideology, and gleefully elected twice to prove it, demonstrates that he has feet of clay ?

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Washington DC looks like a bunch of people in bumper cars. The cars don’t leave the ring, and they just ram each other. Driving in circles, never going anywhere. Not even caring that they can’t get anywhere in those clown cars.

There is no point to this. Bump bump bump… hahaha…. Ram ram…

Then once in a while someone quotes Romney. He sounds so sane, and so focused on the problem in front of him. And so disinterested in the bumper car parade. Romney is so focused on the problems and potential solutions! It is like a whole other level of human being when he talks about issues.

I’m so tired of the bumper cars. It is all so pointless.

I wish Romney was President.

petunia on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

So everyone else drives bumper cars while Romney is a whole other level of human being when he talks about issues?

Do the bumper car drivers have dogs strapped to the ruff?

SpongePuppy on August 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM

cat_owner on August 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Let’s face it, if we could replace the dog eater right now with, say, Pee Wee Herman, it would be a no-brainer. The bar has never been this low, nor will it ever be again.

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM

lol! I vote for poolside. :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Did he feed you a crate of Moochelles Lobster obtained with tax payer dollars?

SpongePuppy on August 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Schadenfreude on August 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Goosebumps.

gh on August 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM

If it were not so tragic it w/b down right schadenfreudig. The orgasmic “obama, obama, obama” world of way then deserve him now, in full.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Your comments do not deflect our attention from the blame obama deserves for aiding the rise of ISIS and ISIL. He has blood on his hands. The blood of a 100 thousand Syrians and thousands of Iraqis and Kurds. The blood of little children, beheaded and shot in the back. Killed for being Kurdish. Killed for being Christian. Killed for being the child of an Iraqi soldier.

obama has done this.

hawkdriver on August 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM

arnold ziffel on August 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Oh baby George is adorable. I don’t quite get the media fascination with the royals though. I mean the American media of course. I like William and Kate though and think the Queen is a very gracious woman who has served her people well.

As for Chelsea’s baby, I expect to be nauseated by the fawning media coverage. When Jenna Bush had her little girl, there were one or two stories but that was it. Chelsea will be on the front pages of People and everywhere else with the adoring media gushing over her.

Oh and speaking of People. They have a cover story on the ‘love story’ between John Kennedy Jr and Caroline. Yet by most accounts, the marriage was on the rocks. John apparently spent the last three nights before the plane crash living elsewhere.

But the media has to continue to romanticize the Kennedys, including Robert Jr who just married for the third or fourth time.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM

I read a book called Hollywood Lezbians that the ol’ lady had a few years back. Barbara Stanwyck, Agnes Moorehead, Ma Kettle, Nancy Culp were some of the prominent ones, and I forgot who else…
I’m surprised Stanwyck wasn’t more concerned about that…
OmahaConservative on August 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I’m sure, if’n she had still been around, Tallulah Bankhead would’ve given the author a run for his/her money…Claudette Colbert, though, would’ve been too shy and Marlene Dietrich and Garbo probably would’ve told the author to mind their own business… ;-)

AFK <—

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM

The Seekers – Georgy Girl

gh on August 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Oh, oh, my bad. I always thought you were a woman.

hawkdriver on August 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Did he feed you a crate of Moochelles Lobster obtained with tax payer dollars?

SpongePuppy on August 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Yes he sure did. He even got the most expensive wine money can buy. What can I say Obama spoils me.

coolrepublica on August 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM

NEVER say never.

Remember, we thought we would never have a President as bad as Carter…remember 1976-80?

Even then, while a lot of the 70′s wasn’t Carter fault, per se – and as a leader on the World Stage he was woefully unprepared…alongside with Mondale…they stood way out ahead of the current Administration….and I effin HATED the 70′s.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

The bar has never been this low, nor will it ever be again.

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Well I wouldn’t think so…… but then I used to think Carter was one of the worst Presidents ever.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

I knew you were easy. Little bony finger sissy. Did you miss his work out video?

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM

hawkdriver on August 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Hilarious!!!

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM

coolrepublica on August 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Oh, oh, my bad. I always thought you were a woman.

hawkdriver on August 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM

A chick with a little extra.

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Yes he sure did. He even got the most expensive wine money can buy.

Looks like my grandaddy was right: NEVER trust a person that just drinks wine.

What can I say Obama spoils me.

coolrepublica on August 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Wouldn’t brag about that: spoiled things are usually thrown out.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM

I wish Romney was President.

petunia on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I wish he would have put up instead of shutting up.

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM

And attending at least one fundraiser this week apparently. I can’t believe there are still fools giving money to the dim party.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Folks, I will not sit here idly and read comments from coolrepublica defending child murderers. I have to go.

Nite all.

hawkdriver on August 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Australia, once again, joining.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM

While the President of the United States of America is on vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, enjoying rounds of golf with friends and dining out.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Not to worry: If our (remaining) allies are able to pull off saving those people or even saving Iraq as a whole, then I’m sure he’ll be hard at work trying to figure a way to reap the credit.

If it goes t!ts-up? Well, like the song goes…

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

hawkdriver on August 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Goodnight, Hawk. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Nite hawkdriver

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Which one for this Administrations Theme Music?
This or That?
BlaxPac on August 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

FIFY… <—insert Oscar's evil, maniacal laughter here

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM

That 30% always will. They’d give money to anyone who promised to save their personal paycheck.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Which one for this Administrations Theme Music?
This or That?
BlaxPac on August 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Never mind that second link…not a good one…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Has anyone posted the article/pix of the Clintons’ day at the beach? Oy!

onlineanalyst on August 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM

But they have done so much to our country. We can’t forget that. What’s a little foreign invasion, serial cheatin, death and destruction among friends?

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I’ll go with the latter…I love my Stooges too much to have them associated with THAT crowd.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Well, you might be right, but if we ever get worse than Obama, our republic is done and over, and so is the world. We are teetering on that tightrope right now, and just a push away into the canyon below.

Carter, yes, was a disaster, but a piker of anti-Americanism compared to Obama. Plus, he was white and from the South, so he never got the media BJs they give the dog eater on a daily basis.

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM

And they thought they were doing it to ADVANCE American interests…you can’t even use that excuse with this bunch.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Is BHO a Sunni or Shiite? Which version were they preaching in Indonesia in his Barry days? Follow up, are these ISIS people, Sunnis or Shiites ? Thanks, if anyone can share some info.

steveracer on August 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM

steveracer on August 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM

ISIS are Sunni.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:21 AM

It’s (D)ifferent, because we are talking about the Kennedys.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Because we NEED a chuckle after all this grim thread food.

H/T to AoSHQ where I found it….

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Do the bumper car drivers have dogs strapped to the ruff?
SpongePuppy on August 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I see what you did there… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:30 AM

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Somehow, I thought that was the way you’d go, Blax… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:32 AM

steveracer on August 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Most Muslims live in Indonesia.

Most are Sunni.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:32 AM

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Yes, we are teetering on a tightrope right now. The world is burning while Barry and Congress are on vacation. I think Congress is being just as irresponsible right now.

I was just a kid during the Carter era, so I could be wrong about this, but didn’t the media at the time at least try to maintain some impartiality?

They are almost entirely leftist now and don’t even try to hide it, but I don’t think it was always this bad.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM

This is Obama’s war.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM

No, it’s his genocide.

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM

[sprays Febreeze Industrial Strength all around...sets out rat traps...sends out a round of Whatchudrinkin's and a Whatheshavin' for Alien's Little Friend...usual caveats apply...calls wacky wagon for It Who Shall Not Be Named...enters under "Civic Duty"...]

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Loner – Moore

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Somehow, I thought that was the way you’d go, Blax… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:32 AM

It’s a guy thing, I thinks…especially if you have a lot of brothers, like me..

So you know, the eye pokes and slugging each other with various blunt objects was already a daily occurrence…the Stooges just made it more mainstream…LMAO.

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Forever to be blamed – Carter should have had the Ayatolla killed in Paris.

Forever to be blamed – obama should have carpet bombed ISIS when they first began their convoys out of Syria.

Quit naming them ISIL. Only the oaf, who’s chief, names them by their ‘honorable’ denomination. Fluke them and him, into eternal hell.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM

They don’t feel too honored to be called ISIL anymore. They’re giving anyone in Mosul who calls them by that particular title 70 lashes in the public square. They insist on “IS”.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM

It’s a guy thing, I thinks…especially if you have a lot of brothers, like me..
BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Don’t I know it… @_@

Mom to three boys, step-mom to four more…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM

They insist on “IS”.
thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM

It depends on what your definition of “IS” is–William Jefferson Clinton

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Barack Obama
FACT: President Obama kept his promise to end the war in Iraq. Romney called the decision to bring our troops home “tragic.”
9:21 AM – 22 Oct 2012

And now he claims it was not his decision to pull out of Iraq. So glad Jazz did a post on this today.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Does oaf deserve 70 lashes then?

We should just call them what they are, 7th century barbarians with 21st century communication and PC idiots in DC.

——–
That “Loner” is a one good over and over. You’d make a fine DJ…for an eclectic crowd, just as another talent :)

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Islamic Extremists Impose Reign of Terror on Iraq

“The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (the group’s original name) decided that anybody who utters their (old) name will get 70 lashes,” said Ghaida’a Al-Rasool, a doctor in Mosul. “Their new name is simply the Islamic State.”

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM

No one called them ISIL, until oaf did; then, most all media did. They can all burn in hell, with him.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Yes, the media were somewhat better back then, at least in appearances, but not in their hearts. Now, though, they’re out of the liberal closet, completely. Carter and Clinton, for that matter, would’ve loved to have had the fawning, down-on-the-knees-mouth-ready-and-open coverage that they see Obama getting.

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I think Obama deserves imprisonment for what he’s done and for what he’s failed to do as President of this nation and a world leader.

—————-
Thank you, my friend. “The Loner” is one of my favorites, too. As you know, I’m partial to Gary Moore’s work. :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Unless Liz Warren replaces him.

cat_owner on August 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM

…..of course – the irrefutable substantiation of that is MASSACHUSETTS – where Romney did on a State Level……EXACTLY what Obama has – on a NATIONAL Level!……….Oh, wait – on Second Thought….NO he would NOT be “better” than Zero…….

williamg on August 11, 2014 at 12:47 AM

As you know, I’m partial to Gary Moore’s work. :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Really? :)

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Don’t I know it… @_@

Mom to three boys, step-mom to four more…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM

LMAO…Oh, you are SO in for it.

Some words you NEVER want to hear coming from them (especially if they’re under 15)…

“Wonder if they’ll burn?”

“Quick, get the First Aid Kit!”

“Hold this while we light the fuse…”

“I don’t think he’s moving…”

“He’s okay…hit him again.”

#1 – “Un-Oh”

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

It would be a fitting eternity for all of them, I agree.

By any name, IS are foul, mad with blood lust, inhuman,and utterly untenable and unconscionable on the face of the planet.

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM

TXUS on August 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

That’s very true. I do remember though Clinton got lots of help from the media during the impeachment though. They made it sound like he was being impeached for adultery, when of course it was the lying under oath.

It was enough to fool low information voters. But otherwise yes, Carter and Clinton would have loved to be fawned over like Barry has been.

However, they will make up for it with Hillary.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM

lol! surprising, I know, after all this time. ;)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM

I wouldn’t call ISIS “terrorists”.

More like a barbarian horde. Looting, raping, pillaging, heads on pikes. Just like the good ol’ days.

For those who think human beings have evolved since the Dark Ages and put all that behind us, open your eyes and take a close look.

Socratease on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

“Wonder if they’ll burn?”
“Quick, get the First Aid Kit!”
“Hold this while we light the fuse…”
“I don’t think he’s moving…”
“He’s okay…hit him again.”
#1 – “Un-Oh”
BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM

They range from 15-42…I’m lucky I missed the hand grenade incident–but I heard about it… ;-)

Oldest Dear Step-son brought in a de-activated hand grenade to turn into a lamp in shop class…he ended up being tutored for the last four months of his junior year…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Max Raabe – Rumba

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Still Got The Blues – Moore

I bid my friends a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

I’m going to sit out in the night air and look at the moon, and watch the moonlight dancing on the water for a while. I recommend it to my friends. :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Live in the moment.
“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Niters and sleep well, Jackie!

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Nite J – enjoy the moon and sleep well.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Good night.

cat_owner on August 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Rumba…oh, yes. :)

Goodnight, Paladin. :)

thatsafactjack on August 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM

I wish Romney was President.

petunia on August 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I wish he would have put up instead of shutting up.

arnold ziffel on August 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Remember – The Opponent That Romney Spent The MOST Money and The Dirtiest Tactics In Shreading and Defeating, were:

CONSERVATIVES!!

His strategy against OBAMA was to Step Smartly to The Center Of The Stage, Salute, Drop To His Knees:

……And Take Obama In His MOUTH!!

while The Nation WATCHED!!……and he was SHOCKED that using that tactic DID NOT “get him elected”……NO – I NEVER WANT TO SEE OR HEAR FROM HIM AGAIN!!!

williamg on August 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I wouldn’t call ISIS “terrorists”.

More like a barbarian horde. Looting, raping, pillaging, heads on pikes.

Socratease on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

…..Soooooo – “Terrorists“, then – Right?

williamg on August 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Poor kid, living in a liberal infested pansyitis infected community like that has got to suck.

oscarwilde on August 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM

As The Media And The Establishment Republicans SHRIEK!!!……

“ALL IS WELL!!!!!!!”

williamg on August 11, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Saudis have lost the right to take Sunni leadership. FT article

When Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the jihadi leader whose blackshirts over-ran swaths of northern and central Iraq in June, gave his Ramadan rant last month after proclaiming himself caliph, he had it translated into English, French, German, Turkish, Russian – and Albanian. Why did his Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (known as Isis), which now styles itself narcissistically as the Islamic State, take the trouble?
Since the end of the cold war and after the wars of the Yugoslav succession, the western Balkans – in particular Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia, Macedonia and even bits of Bulgaria – have been carpeted with Saudi-financed Wahhabi mosques and madrassas. This is moving local Muslim culture away from Turkic-oriented, Sufi Islam towards the radical bigotry of Wahhabi absolutism, which groups such as Isis have taken to its logical conclusion. This is fertilised ground for jihadi ambition.

Saudi Arabia not only exports oil, but tanker-loads of quasi-totalitarian religious dogma and pipelines of jihadi volunteers, even as it struggles to insulate itself from the blowback; and King Abdullah, in his end of Ramadan address, warns against the “devilish” extremism of “these deviant forces”. Jihadi extremism does present a threat to the kingdom. But in doctrinal terms it is hard to see in what way it “deviates” from Wahhabi orthodoxy, with its literalist and exclusivist rendering of Sunni Islam. Its extreme interpretation of monotheism anathematises other beliefs, in particular the “idolatrous” practices of Christians and Shia Muslims, as infidel or apostate. That can be read as limitless sanction for jihad. The modern jihadi is a Wahhabi on steroids. His main grievance with the House of Saud is that it deviates: its profligate deeds do not match its Wahhabi words.

The late King Fahd, Abdullah’s predecessor, for example, acquired a reputation as a playboy and gambler in his youth. Yet during his reign he built 1,359 mosques abroad, together with 202 colleges, 210 Islamic centres and more than 2,000 schools, according to official Saudi data. There seem to be no figures for Wahhabi “outreach” under Abdullah, a more austere and ecumenical figure. Anecdotal evidence says Saudi mosque-building is powering ahead wherever believers are found, especially in south, central and southeast Asia, home to about 1bn of the world’s 1.6bn Muslims.

The House of Saud, facing a potentially wrenching succession to the ailing Abdullah at a time of upheaval across the Arab world, is in a delicate position. As custodian of the holy cities of Mecca and Medina, it is the closest modern equivalent to the old Islamic caliphate. It thus abominates the violent presumption of Isis as much as it abhors the rival brand of pan-Islamic fundamentalism of the Muslim Brotherhood. Yet the kingdom still spews out the corrosive poison that helps fuel religion-based fanaticism. The Isis rampage of destruction of shrines and mosques, for instance, continues the two centuries-old record of Wahhabi iconoclasm. Nor should it be forgotten that the House of Saud used Wahhabi zealots as its shock troops in the last century to unite by force most of the religiously diverse Arabian peninsula – won by the sword in 52 battles over 30 years. There are no churches in Saudi Arabia, and permits to build Shia mosques are rarer than desert rain.
Saudi Arabia is not solely responsible for the result; resurgent jihadism amid the virulent battle within Islam between the majority Sunni and minority Shia is playing out across the Levant, down into the Gulf and across to the Indian subcontinent. But it is a primary source of doctrinal bigotry, as Saudi schoolbooks enjoining believers to shun all but their own well attest.

The worldwide surge in Wahhabi mosques began in response to Iran’s attempts to export the Shia radicalism of its 1979 revolution. The Anglo-American overthrow of Iraq’s minority Sunni regime in the 2003 invasion of Iraq – which installed a Shia majority and ignited sectarian carnage – and the west’s failure to support the rebellion of the Sunni majority in Syria, have fed Sunni grievances, sharpened by the Iran-backed Shia axis across the region. It is uncertain whether the Saudi state and its Gulf allies finance groups such as Isis, but their citizens do, encouraged by the Sunni supremacist discourse and tactical promiscuity of their rulers, fearful of being outflanked from the religious right.

Saudi Arabia’s position as the world’s leading oil exporter, a leading purchaser of western arms and a counterweight to Iran in the Gulf has shielded it from criticism. In the current turmoil in the Middle East – characterised by an absence of state and institutions, a loss of shared national narrative in mosaic countries such as Syria and Iraq, and the feebleness of previously influential big powers – there is a lack of mainstream Sunni leadership.
The petrodollar theocracy of Saudi Arabia, in its contest with the petrodollar theocracy of Iran, has smothered Sunni space – except for the vacuum in which Isis is building its (also oil-rich) cross-border caliphate, now striking east into Kurdistan and west into Lebanon.
Previous generations of mainstream Sunni Arabs gave their allegiance to pan-Arab nationalists such as Gamal Abdel Nasser, tarnished paladins of a dead-end ideology. The potential disaster now facing the Arabs demands a new generation of Sunni leaders, able to defeat extremism within their own camp. That is something Saudi Arabia, whose Wahhabi absolutism is part of the genetic code of groups such as Isis, cannot do.

coolrepublica on August 11, 2014 at 1:05 AM

oscarwilde on August 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Central Jersey, Oscar–and, not only did Dear Oldest Step-Son tell the authorities the hand grenade was de-activated, so did his father.

But noOOOoo…the local constabulary was there, the county mounties, the state whoopers, bomb squad…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

At the time we (brother me, and friend) were…ahem…experimenting with a 4 barrel remote-controlled (Thanks Radio Shack!) ‘potato’ gun with loads that weren’t Idahos Finest.

Long story short, the device worked GREAT…except for the 6ft hole we put in neighbors wall….which would have been okay too, except we lived in a apartment at the time.

Suffice to say, there aren’t a lot of places to hide out in a apartment…I know, because we sure as hell tried before Mom got home.

After that incident, and as soon as we could sit down again, we did it where SANE children were supposed to do stuff like that: on the roof.

:o)

BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I wouldn’t call ISIS “terrorists”.

More like a barbarian horde. Looting, raping, pillaging, heads on pikes.

Socratease on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

If what they do is not terror, then what is? They are in the US already, just not very organized, yet.

The open borders are manna from Heaven for them. obama owns them, in all ways.

Schadenfreude on August 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM

:o)
BlaxPac on August 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Mischief managed… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on August 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I wouldn’t call ISIS “terrorists”.

More like a barbarian horde. Looting, raping, pillaging, heads on pikes.

Socratease on August 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

…..Soooooo – “Terrorists“, then – Right?

williamg on August 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM

If you are in the middle if nowhere and you surrounded by Hamas and ISIS and you are about to be caught by one of those groups. Which one do you hope get to you first? Unless of course you have a plan to slash your wrist instead of getting caught.

coolrepublica on August 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM