Video: The sadly obligatory “Hillary and Colbert name-drop” clip

posted at 3:21 pm on August 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

I read Ace’s post before I watched and figured he was overselling how bad it was. Now I see he undersold it. Good lord.

And yet, somehow it’s worthy of a story/transcript in the paper of record.

I wonder what the angle was. Ace thinks it was designed so that people could say Hillary’s a “good sport” afterwards, even though Colbert doesn’t lay a rhetorical glove on her. I don’t know. She’ll do a hundred “good sport” segments on late-night TV before election day 2016. She didn’t need to do this one, especially so early. Maybe she has reason to believe that Warren fever is spreading among the left, especially among young voters, and she wanted an outlet that would reach them directly. Maybe she’s peeved that, as the Times notes, Ed Klein’s book on the Clintons is actually outselling her own and she figured a little lighthearted PR was called for. Or maybe Colbert just wanted to suck up to her before he takes Letterman’s seat at CBS. She’ll be the most coveted interview in politics once she announces she’s running; go figure that a guy who’s about to inherit a high-pressure network late-night slot wants to give her a reason to come back to his show over the next two years.

Maybe they’ll even have him back to give the keynote at the White House Correspondents Dinner after President Hillary takes office. That’s bound to be hard-hitting, no?

Comments

I can’t watch, I just can’t click the button…

geojed on August 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Just seeing that smirky face makes me want to gag! Colbert was funny once, but that was a lllllllllllloooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time ago.

geojed on August 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Oh, I LOVE that. :)

cat_owner on August 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I tried over at Ace’s, I really did, but just couldn’t go through with it.

aquaviva on August 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Oh, and that NYT best seller list indicates Dr Carson’s book it outselling hers too. That’s even better.

cat_owner on August 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Having seen the warning over at AoS, I note that it may be obligatory for Allahpundit to post this shite but it is not obligatory for us to endure it.

gh on August 6, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Hillary is puffy…

JohnGalt23 on August 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I subjected myself to all 8 nauseating minutes of it. It if were any less bad, I would have turned it off, but when you’re watching someone reach the pinnacle (nadir?) of American propaganda, you can’t help but watch – if only in amazement at the way his clapping seal audience lapped up the propaganda like sweet nectar.

crrr6 on August 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I never got the whole Colbert thing in the first place. He’s a dude, playing a dude who’s pretending to be another dude. Which was funny in Tropic Thunder but kind of lame as an every day shtick.

HotAirian on August 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Allah –
Maybe…..she was promoting a book on a show that thrives on nationally known guests and talent?
But agreed it wasn’t that funny.
Doesn’t even come close to Colbert’s amazing bit with Laura Ingraham a few years back.
I think she was on…to promote a book?
One the greatest take downs ever.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Permanent stain on Colbert’s nose.

*blech*

workingclass artist on August 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

What did I just watch (for 3 mins) before closing my window? Are kids so dumb that they actually like Colbert?

chris0christies0donut on August 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Sadly I’ve noticed that many liberal bloggers these days, especially apparently younger ones, have emulated the nasty spite-filled, personal insult style of “humor” Colbert and Jon Stewart have specialized in since they’ve been on. And it’s not funny at all.

All the kids out there saying “Oooh Colbert really pwnd the dude, ha ha!”

otlset on August 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM

HotAirian on August 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I get that his young, unemployed audience is ideal for staying up late and having no particular reason to go to sleep. And, I get that this makes their choice between buying weed and paying their cable bill a lot easier.

What I don’t understand is how CBS expects him to hold an audience. Are his fans really going to watch him if he drops his fake-persona and has to become somewhat less partisan in order to maximize his audience appeal? I doubt it. I watched him in that clip on Letterman to see what he was like out of character and he was positively un-funny.

This is going to be Conan redux, only I think Colbert is going to crash down harder. Conan is actually funny and wasn’t asked to change his whole act in order to make the transition to that slot. He bombed out on NBC because his bread and butter jokes were more for a younger audience – The Masturbating Bear, all of that. Colbert’s ostensible appeal (to liberal lemmings, anyway) IS his smarmy fake-conservative persona which won’t be part of the show.

crrr6 on August 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Ah, would be leaders of the free world showing how hip and cool they are to the great unwashed. Perfect. Celebrity first, credentials second (or, in Obama’s case, not applicable at all).

changer1701 on August 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I made it about to the 6 minute mark. Where’s my medal?

blatantblue on August 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM

hillary-ous.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Is it just me or does Hilary look a bit crazy? Is that just her look?

I watched this episode earlier this morning while getting ready for work and almost vomited. Although as far as Colbert segments go, this one was less cringe worthy than others. So I guess there’s that.

ConservOvrGOP on August 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

A few weeks ago, in a scheduled appearance on “The Daily Show,” she played along with Jon Stewart’s questions about what shape she would like her next office to be.

I look forward to another 8 years of the media playing pattycake with our Democrat overlords.

HidetheDecline on August 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I never got the whole Colbert thing in the first place.

HotAirian on August 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM

What I don’t understand is how CBS expects him to hold an audience.

crrr6 on August 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Interesting take guys.
I suppose what Hot Arian isn’t getting and crrr6 doesn’t understand about Mr. Colber would be that he is:
Very Smart.
Very Funny.
Very Talented.
Very Successful.

I suppose the pros at CBS have a slightly different take than yours.
For sure they must be unaware that his “unemployed audience” “makes their choice between buying weed and paying their cable bill”

But I’m sure your analysis is a well informed one, and not just you being sore that he had Hillary Clinton on.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

One the greatest take downs ever.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Stephen Colbert couldn’t take down the tasteless wallpaper you and Bruce have up in your boudoir.

M240H on August 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Good ol’ Cankles…

djl130 on August 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Now and then lostmofo gets one right.

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Not only did Hillary murder Vince Foster, she just murdered comedy.

Luckily Colbert gets shitty ratings, hardly anybody saw this drivel.

sentinelrules on August 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Very Smart.
Very Funny.
Very Talented.
Very Successful.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

very.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on August 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I tried. Watched more than I should have before my lunch started traveling upwards. Pathetic pandering for the brainless.

halebyuca on August 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Bengahziiiii!!!!!Bengahziiiii!!!!Bengahziiiii!!!!!!

Ned Pepper on August 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

It was probably just me that (hopefully) thinks the audience was chanting the more accurate Killary.

But seriously you fence sitters, you really want that cackle in public life again?

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Very Smart.
Very Funny.
Very Talented.
Very Successful.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

A urine-soaked crucifix had its supporters too but that didn’t make it art.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

How anyone could find Colbert funny is beyond me. I don’t agree with Stewart politically, but I’ll admit that he’s funny (even beyond his monologue, which I know he himself doesn’t write). But Colbert? I don’t see it.

GOPRanknFile on August 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

One the greatest take downs ever.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

M240H on August 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

“They say Obama is smart, but the writing is terrible.”

Just perfect.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Allah –
But agreed it wasn’t that funny.
I think she was on…to promote a book?
One the greatest take downs ever.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Depends on one’s tastes I guess.

Sorry, but I feel Colbert is the most out of touch person
on TV with this sort of show format..I think I found him funny
once in 10 years, or however long he’s been on…same goes for
Letterman…his last bit of comedic talent was circa 1993.

I do like Stewart….he and I differ on political ideology, but
I find his humor to be spot on. But, that’s why I say, it
depends on one’s tastes.

ToddPA on August 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Interesting take guys.
Very Smart.
Very Funny.
Very Talented.
Very Successful.

I suppose the pros at CBS have a slightly different take than yours.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

But I’m sure your analysis is a well informed one (like it is on other topics, LOL) and not just because you sprung a boner because he had Hillary Clinton on.

$100 to your favorite charity if Colbert cracks 3 million in total viewers 1 month after his opening show.

My money is that he will be a ratings black hole…but hey something needs to be in that time slot.

HumpBot Salvation on August 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM

These two deserve one another.

GarandFan on August 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for the re-post. I’d follow the link, but I’ve suffered enough of the Colbert schtick for this lifetime. Maybe you’d like to link some Dane Cook next? I’ll happily not follow that as well.

M240H on August 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

In the end, what difference does it make?

Steve Z on August 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

OK wasted 6 minutes of my life..that was effing as lame as it could be. It was hard to determine who was more lame and unfunny Clinton or Colbert.

HumpBot Salvation on August 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Sure Colbert is a knee-pad socialist, but in the end his first priority is cultivating goodwill to further his career.

Ted the Average on August 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Stopped watching when Hillary waddled on stage. I just cannot stand her.

Ted the Average on August 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Would love to get a load of that audience.

I find chanting for politicians and over-the-top cheering creepy, whichever party it is. Sort of like the over-the-top cheering of golfers on the course.

reaganaut on August 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Stopped watching when Hillary waddled on stage. I just cannot stand her.

Ted the Average on August 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Her limp seems to be getting worse.

Brat on August 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Stopped watching when Hillary waddled on stage. I just cannot stand her.

Ted the Average on August 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Her limp seems to be getting worse.

Brat on August 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM

War on Womyn alert! Hey, sexist, she’s youthful and energetic and can handle the rigors of the Presidency!

Do I really need a /sarc?

Ted the Average on August 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Bengahziiiii!!!!!Bengahziiiii!!!!Bengahziiiii!!!!!!

Ned Pepper on August 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Hillary’s entire stint as Sec of State was a failure, as only partly evidenced by her Libya policy now in complete shambles as that country has descended into a hotbed of terrorist factions, violence, and chaos.

otlset on August 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM

That cackle. That god-awful, affected cackle. It causes mass extinction in my nether regions. And what was that expression on her face when she came out? She looked like she was imitating Jack Nicholson as The Joker.

KGB on August 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Bengahziiiii!!!!!Bengahziiiii!!!!Bengahziiiii!!!!!!

Ned Pecker on August 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

otlset on August 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM

She can always fall back on her accomplishments as a US Senator.

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

And yet, somehow it’s worthy of a story/transcript in the paper of record.

Somehow? This kind of shameless obsequiousness towards democrats is the Times’ bread and butter.

RINO in Name Only on August 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I watched a minute or so of the Hillary commercial, and could take no more. Never liked Colbert anyway, he’s really just a well paid smart alek.

scalleywag on August 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Saw Colbert on TV once …. thought he was funny. That lasted about 30 seconds ….. haven’t seen him since …… except on TV ads.

wutzupdak on August 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM

That was pretty pathetic… and in fact a rip off of an old SNL skit take off on Barbara Walters and her penchant for name-dropping (courtesy of Cheri Oteri) which was much funnier.

dpduq on August 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Interesting take guys.
Very Smart.
Very Funny.
Very Talented.
Very Successful.

Does anyone who isn’t a hardcore leftist believe that? His entire schtick is to exaggerate his opponents’ position to the point of absurdity, so that his audience can chuckle about how dumb his straw-man is.

And his claim to fame? He was “courageous” enough to do a passive aggressive rant against a president he didn’t like, in a setting where etiquette would almost certainly prevent anyone from booing him or mocking him in reply.

He’s “successful” in the sense that he’s carved out a niche for himself among a highly politicized audience, by stroking their egos.

I suppose the pros at CBS have a slightly different take than yours.

The “pros” at CBS? The “pros” at all 3 of these networks will tell you these decisions are completely hit-or-miss. Are you really citing that as evidence of talent, before he’s even started?

Colbert himself has said that he’s not going to be “in character” for his general audience. On the one hand, this is probably a necessity, given how snotty it comes across to anyone who is not solidly on the left. Even so, it’s in a lot of ways an implicit admission that his routine in the last decade hasn’t been very funny to many people.

CBS is hiring this guy based on a promise that he will not be who he has been for most o his career. They might have some kind of special insight that ordinary people lack, but it’s just as likely, if not more so, that they just whiffed – it would hardly be the first time executives have massively screwed up one of these decisions.

verbaluce on August 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

What on earth makes you think people here would be sore at Steven Colbert would have a leftist politician on his show? Do you get sore when Conservatives talk to each other?

RINO in Name Only on August 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

She is doing a book promo and Colbert is more than happy to help.

It is no secret that Colbert promotes Leftists, while mocking the Right. That is and always has been what his show is about.

So what is so difficult to understand?

nottakingsides on August 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Colbert: I did a show with Bill Clinton.
Hillary: I’m one of the women he’s slept with.

Tzetzes on August 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM

It’s a secret to the Leftists. They still believe that he’s a for-reals right-winger. And more, they think he’s a high-functioning example. Cruise through HuffPo now and then (if you have the fortitude, and see how often Colbert is referenced as a conservative authority. Even more than Rush.

It would be funny if it weren’t tragically stupid.

Moron is what moron does.

For example, verbalduck with his supposition that conservatives would be “sore” over Colbert hosting Hillary. That assumption is predicated on anyone seeing Colbert as a real conservative who should disdain a Hillary visit. Sadly, he is one of those useful idiots who can’t tell a leftist mocking a conservative, from the real thing.

Mom should really take the keyboard from him, help him into his onesie, and get him some nice hot cocoa.

Freelancer on August 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Did Hillary suffer a nasty fall and concussion back stage? She’s a bobblehead.

Esaus Message on August 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM