Fair share: Al Sharpton and his organizations owe $4.7 million in unpaid taxes

posted at 4:01 pm on August 6, 2014 by Guy Benson

This isn’t new news. The ‘Rev’ has owed the IRS huge sums of money for years. Here’s a story from — cough NBC News’ website in 2008 detailing the $1.5 million owed by Sharpton personally and his “business entities” at the time.  At the end of 2011 (by which point Sharpton had been hired as a host on NBC’s cable “news” network) Sharpton’s unpaid tab had swelled to nearly $3 million.  Three more years have since elapsed, so it’s time for an update (via the New York Post):

The Rev. Al Sharpton, along with his nonprofit National Action Network and two for-profit firms, have $4.7 million in outstanding debt and liens, according to federal and state tax records, the New York Post reported on Sunday. Among the debts include $806,875 that Sharpton owes the state, along with $2.6 million in federal liens against him for unpaid personal income taxes, the Post stated. Recent filings showed the National Action Network owed $813,576 to the federal government at the end of 2012, and his company Rev-Al Communications owes $447,826 to the state, while the Bo-Spanky Consulting firm has $18.21 in outstanding debt, according to the Post.

Sharpton — a prominent hoax perpetrator, race riot fomenter, and alleged drug trade-enabler-turned-FBI informant — insists the actual sum he owes is “significantly less” than public records indicate, and that the debts are “being paid down.”  The MSNBC host is, naturally, an ardent advocate for raising taxes on “the rich.”  Here he is holding forth on wealthy people’s duty to “sacrifice,” and (deliciously) attacking Mitt Romney for, er, not paying enough in taxes:

Between federal and state taxes and charitable giving, Mitt Romney has surrendered approximately 39 percent of his adjusted gross income over the last two decades. He’s paid every penny owed to Uncle Sam — and then some; liberals actually groused that he overpaid his taxes in order to bump up his effective tax rate, depriving them of a juicier class warfare talking point. Al Sharpton, a fellow millionaire, has been massively delinquent on his tax bills for years.  It’s impossible to overstate the shamelessness of that second clip.  Meanwhile, Sharpton is hardly scraping by.  To the contrary, he’s living the high life, seemingly unperturbed by his dizzying debts.  From Jonah Goldberg’s withering 2013 column:

If Tom Wolfe were writing The Bonfire of the Vanities today, he’d need a scene in the Grand Havana Room in New York City. It’s an Olympian den fit for what Wolfe called the “Masters of the Universe” — the super-rich gods of finance who today go by the name “the 1 percent.” Taking up the penthouse floor of 666 Fifth Avenue, the Grand Havana Room is a private, invitation-only cigar club and four-star restaurant. Through its windows, you can see the toiling salary men 39 floors below as they scurry about like ants, some furtively smoking in doorways, ever fearful of Nanny Bloomberg’s All-Seeing Eye.Named by Business Insider as one of the “11 exclusive clubs Wall Streeters are dying to get into,” the Grand Havana Room is where power brokers and celebrities hobnob with captains of industry in one of the last places where it’s still legal to smoke in the Big Apple. Immune as I am to the seductions of class resentment and Jacobin envy, I will admit it: I love the place. If invited, and if I could afford it, I’d join. The one question I have is: Who’s paying for Al Sharpton’s membership? “The Rev” is an omnipresent member of the club. After his MSNBC show, he’ll swing by for dinner and cigars amid the other Masters of the Universe. I couldn’t confirm that he repaired there after he broadcast his radio show, Keeping It Real, from Zuccotti Park to show his solidarity with the 99-percenters. The reason I ask who’s paying for his membership is that Sharpton’s relationship with money has always been complicated. When he claimed he didn’t have the resources to pay damages in a defamation suit he lost, Sharpton was asked in a deposition how he could afford his suits. He didn’t own them, he replied, someone else did. He was merely granted “access” to the garments as needed. The same went for his TV, silverware, etc.

This man appears on television every night to demagogue the successful, push for tax hikes (on people who actually, you know, pay their taxes), bellow about “fair shares,” and assail law-abiding Republicans for not forking over sufficient percentages of their money — all while offering his “insights” on “racial justice,” or whatever.  I can’t even.

Comments

$4.7 million is nothing compared to the $1 billion that Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway owed.

J_Crater on August 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

What do Al Sharpton and Warren Buffet have in common?

ctmom on August 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Sorry, but all those files were stored on Lois Lerner’s hard drive. Case closed.

AngusMc on August 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

No worries Al, we’ve got your back
Eric and barack

cmsinaz on August 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I won’t hold my breath for MSNBC to adopt a “Lean Forward” progressive policy that doesn’t allow people to show up on their network if they have unpaid taxes.

Taxing the rich is important because it gives the perception that lefty politicians want fairness. They don’t actually care if the rich pay those taxes.

airupthere on August 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Sharpton doesn’t own his own clothes. There was a great piece about him in the National Review about how he is a member of all these high-net worth clubs in Manhattan, but no one knows who pays his tab…

Washington Fancy on August 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He is in the IRS “Protected Class” files..

d1carter on August 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Obama’s corruption knows no end.

But what can we expect from the man who would turn his back on 40,000 Christians and other Iraqi religious minority groups in Iraq who are dying of thirst on a mountain top?

40,000 Iraqis Stranded On Sinjar Mountain After Islamic State Death Threats

thatsafactjack on August 6, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Me thinks,…criminals!!

canopfor on August 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Wesley Snipes went to jail for much less….

georgealbert on August 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Mitt Romney has paid more in taxes than Sharpton will earn, before taxes, in his entire life.

airupthere on August 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

My brain just locked up with the number of jokes this sentence provoked. I will forever associate the Rev Al with Bo-Spanky.

Renee on August 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM

The hypocrite Robert Redford too:

Robert Redford Sues New York State Over $1.6 Million Tax Bill Related to Sundance Channel Sale

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Washington Fancy on August 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He probably just shows up and no one has the nerve to boot him out because of fear of being called racist.

Similar to this public radio gem from years back:

Ira Glass
Act Three, Notes of a Native Daughter. Janet McDonald had already learned the language. She had already learned the culture, had French friends, and a French apartment, when something happened that made her realize how much she hadn’t figured out.

Janet Mcdonald
I was going to the movies with a friend of mine from Yale who is black also. And there was a long line. And we were like, let’s jump the line. These white people, they’re going to be scared of us. We’ll just go and jump the line. We’ll get to the front of the line. So, of course, you know, we walked up to the front of the line, like, yeah, you want to try me? I’m black. That usually works in New York.

These people were ready to rip our hair out. And they were white. I couldn’t believe it. And they were like, in French, what are you doing? The line starts back there. You can’t just walk to the front of the line. They were, like, ready to kick our butts. I was shocked. I’m like, these are white people, and they’re not scared of us?

That’s when I realized I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. And I liked it. I mean, of course, it was kind of humiliating, because you know, we’re supposed to be the intimidating, scary ones. And then all these French bitches in high heels were threatening us. And they were in our faces. And it made me realize that the whole black-white game just doesn’t work outside of the United States.

Because white people aren’t afraid of you here. And at the same time, they don’t hate you, because that sort of goes together. So I’ll take it. I’ll wait on line. Now I don’t dare jump lines. So that opened my eyes.

airupthere on August 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM

One of “our people”.

formwiz on August 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Business bad? F*ck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? F*ck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning, huh? F*ck you, pay me.

TarasBulbous on August 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Maybes the Justice Brothers are doin a Stealth LeftyMinded
Reparations sumpin sumpins!

canopfor on August 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM

What do Al Sharpton and Warren Buffet have in common?

Sharpton has been to many a buffet.

Bertram Cabot Jr. on August 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM

TarasBulbous on August 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Bmore on August 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Al Sharpton…Repeat Offender…

workingclass artist on August 6, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Wesley Snipes went to jail for much less….

georgealbert on August 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Al Capone went to jail for much less.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

airupthere on August 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Hush! I for one am looking forward to the video of him sitting on a Morning Jew panel as they rail against federal employees (or some other group) who owe taxes.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM

The hypocrite Robert Redford too:

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Hold on. I’m not Redford fan, but I’m not so sure about this.

He’s a Utah residence. This Sundance Channel venture–the article first calls it a limited liability company (which are usually taxed as partnerships), but later calls it an S corporation (which is taxed in a similar, but different manner)–was owned by him and some other entities. This is from a sale nine years ago. The other entities look as if they may be New York based. They probably reported the sale in that year. Maybe the NY taxing authority started snooping around and discovered Redford hadn’t reported the sale to NY.

Now, it could be that Sundance had some taxable income from NY sources that Redford and the other owners had to report to NY. Fine. But Redford owned an intangible interest–either an interest in an LLC or shares in an S corporation–in Sundance. His share of the gain on the 2005, even if this is a NY LLC or a NY S corporation, wouldn’t be taxable in NY under the general state-sourcing rules. I think NY loses this case.

BuckeyeSam on August 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM

A must read –
Shakedown: Exposing the Real Jessie Jackson by Ken Timmerman

Al Sharpton is a piker in comparision.

Missilengr on August 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

When is the IRS going to garnish his MSNBC salary? I assume big Al has that salary paid to that communications company. The IRS will have to get the tax money owed by Sharpton’s non-profit entity extortion outfit from some other source.

BuckeyeSam on August 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Fair share: Al Sharpton and his organizations owe $4.7 million in unpaid taxes

I doubt if he’s paid much if anything in the last 30 years. Same goes for Rev. Jackson and his Rainbow-PUSH money laundering outfit.

The hypocrite Robert Redford too:

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I don’t get these folks? I guess they really, truly feel that they are more entitled to the money they earn than us riff-raff. And if Mr. Redford weren’t a big government, tax and spend Liberal, but rather a real tax protester, I could support him (for whatever that’s worth to him…LOL).

Still, it is a progressive tax system, and even if the top tiers are still million- and billionaires after they file, they still pay the lion’s share relative to the population.

Maybe Mr. Redford, et al, might come to their senses and support a Fair Tax system. But I’m not holding my breath.

I for one don’t believe someone buying a yacht or a private jet should have to pay a higher sales tax just because they have more money.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I would not wish that on anybody… except Al Sharpton.

lexhamfox on August 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

In this Country, we have the Political Class….

and we also have the Parasite Class….and sometimes,

Hopey Presser at 5:00PM
=======================

5:00 PM – President Obama Holds a Press Conference

canopfor on August 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM

canopfor on August 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM

OT-

A member of the U.S. Army Band said he was forced out of the U.S. Army for having anti-Obama bumper stickers on his personal car, serving Chick-fil-A sandwiches at a party and reading books written by conservative authors like Sean Hannity, a federal lawsuit alleges.

Master Sergeant Nathan Sommers, a 25-year veteran of the military and a decorated soloist in the U.S. Army Band Chorus, claims he was forcibly retired from the Army due to his religious and conservative political beliefs.

Good for him! It was clear at the time that the gays who make up a significant portion of the Army chorus were singling out Sommers for sheer spite. DADT tolerance at its finest.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Bo-Spanky Consulting…

Yeah, I get the Bo part – Barack Øbama. I have to presume then, that Revrum Al is “Spanky.” Does he smack or receive? Surely Bo would love to “smack,” right?

ExpressoBold on August 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM

REV Al Sharpton? Must be the Church of the Race Baitin’ Hate Whitey But Take His Money, Sell Drugs, Lie, Cheat, Steal, Demagogue, Suck-Up to Libs, Laugh All the Way to the Bank….can’t think of any more. I just lost my lunch.

vnvet on August 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Debtors prison or send on a slow ship to australia

jaywemm on August 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Happy Nomad: Nice Intell Grab, unboinkingbelievable:)

canopfor on August 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Can’t the IRS garnish his MSNBC paycheck?

slickwillie2001 on August 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

This is all due to his race. He is being attacked by the IRS because of his race./s

SC.Charlie on August 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Debtors prison or send on a slow ship to australia

jaywemm on August 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

What do you have against Australia. My future home the way things are going.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

SC.Charlie on August 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

It’s a conspiracy by Greek homos.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Why isn’t this piece of shit in jail?

Midas on August 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Why isn’t this piece of shit in jail?

Midas on August 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Um…. HELLO! Sharpton is a black “civil rights leader.” To put him in jail would evoke media comparisons to Mandella and MLK.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

But black bros aren’t supposed to pay taxes, they are supposed to be getting reparations from whitey.

Jugears will give him a pass on his way out of the White House.

txdoc on August 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Peanuts. How is Obama buttboy and disgraced former Gov Jon Corzine doing ? He stole a billion dollars. Don’t hear his name ever mentioned when the left is discussing evil CEO’s of evil corporations. I’m sure Holder and Barry will be bringing him to justice soon.

DeweyWins on August 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

What’s that thing growing out of the back of Sharpton’s head? I didn’t realize he suffered from Conjoined Twin Myslexia.

iceman1960 on August 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Rifle. Scope. Foxtrot oscar alpha delta.

#BuckFarack

Nutstuyu on August 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Potato Head Sharpton hasn’t “earned” a dollar in his life. Doesn’t feel he should be taxed on graft and $ from corruption?

StevC on August 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

FAKE. Al isn’t yelling.

cat-scratch on August 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

All you naysayers are RAYCISS for criticizing a black man!

Oh wait, the fact I noticed he’s black makes me RAYCISS!

Tard on August 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM

What do you have against Australia. My future home the way things are going.

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

No nothing against Aussies. Wife loves it there and Tasmania. Just using it as a metaphor for sending him off to exile

jaywemm on August 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Happy Nomad on August 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Heh. Well, at least he’ll get a good retirement check every month…hopefully, he’ll get to enjoy that for a few more years until DEERS is officially bankrupt.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM

“Cheat we must”, Rev. AL.

I’m sure Al would rather owe it to the Treasury than beat them out of it.

ghostwalker1 on August 7, 2014 at 12:06 AM