Video: The dad in this ad is not an idiot

posted at 10:01 pm on August 4, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I hate ads that make dads into morons to superficially boost moms by comparison as much as I hate beer ads that denigrate women to superficially boost men. Both versions of these lazy sexist tropes are insulting to both parties— the one actively insulted and the one whose itch the insult is supposed to scratch. I’ve noted some improvement on this front recently, and this ad is another installment. We’re all human beings and Americans who enjoy beer, Swiffers, and now Peanut Butter Cheerios, and can be treated with dignity and respect by the brands we buy.

In this modern dad ad, a clearly capable father of four illustrates that he— gasp!— knows how to be a parent. He can do things and teach things and mentor boy and girl children alike instead of just putting his daughter in a tutu and a scuba mask for a dentist appointment or burning microwaveable chicken nuggets or some such nonsense. He’s a grown-up Ferris Bueller, breaking the fourth wall to talk to all of dad-dom, handing Sloane her morning coffee— “Hot stuff comin’ through. The wife and the coffee.” And I imagine these days, with four kids, Beuller would be saying something like, “Holy crap, life is moving really frickin’ fast. But I will make time to stop and look around every once in a while because being here for these kids is better than belting Wayne Newton on a parade float in downtown Chicago.” (Though, he’s clearly not too grown-up because Peanut Butter Cheerios, ugh.)

Dad on, Ferris. Generation X is sick of your B.S., anyway, and this is another of its messengers. He’s gettin’ it done. So many are, and I like to see it on TV. I imagine for some it might have a tad too much of the feel of hipster insistence that this generation of parents is a new kind of parent, a cool kind of parent. But in its defense this dad also references making rules and enforcement, so it ain’t all about being Junior’s besty. Also, being a parent is cool, and it’s always nice to see it portrayed with a little joie de vivre instead of just a harried slog (which it most certainly is sometimes as well).

Comments

This Dad approves.

Midas on August 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

If only he didn’t say “aboot” instead of about showing me he is a Canadian. Sigh. Still, not bad. Good to see a dad not treated as a halfwit or a selfish creep.

Warner Todd Huston on August 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Love the Cheerios commercials.

crankyoldlady on August 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

We’re all human beings and Americans

This ad is obviously Canadian. I doubt this could have been made in the United States.

tetriskid on August 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

How to dad = dumping sugar on your kid?

Rode Werk on August 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Speaking of father figures, Bill seemed to be in a bad mood tonight. This dad and granddad thinks you handled it well as always, MKH.

Drained Brain on August 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM

This ad is obviously Canadian.

tetriskid

if it been USA, they would have lived in a 4,000 sq house, and the wife would have been gorgeous. This ad is too normal for USA. And racist !

williampeck1958 on August 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I SOOOOOOO despise the liberal dr.spock parenting, and absolutely have also been disgusted by the way fathers have been basically labeled the village idiot for the last couple of decades.

I place a lot of the blame on sitcoms generated by the leftists in stupidwood, ca, and the moronic droolers that gave them sustainable ratings through viewership over the decades.

It would be nice to see it change, otherwise all we can do is learn to swim.

Diluculo on August 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

TV rots your brain. I quit watching it a long time ago. TV ads use identity politics, negative stereotypes and propaganda to sell their products, just like our politicians and political parties do. The targeted pandering insults my intelligence and this ad is no different.

Corporal Tunnel on August 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

“The box says shut up, Steve.” Anybody else remember that?

Never bought a box of Cheerios since the first time they tried to peddle them with that miserable feminist cow. Although this is the peanut butter type and that infamous commercial was the “extra-grain for the obviously perpetually constipated” version of the product, they need several cool commercials just to break even from the lingering memory of that bit of obnoxious.

Anyway all that aside, who watches a 2 minute cereal advertisement?

Gingotts on August 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I like it. Not sure about the idea of peanut butter Cheerios.

acasilaco on August 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Warner Todd Huston on August 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I always get the willies when someone says/writes “arse” {[shudder]}

rottenrobbie on August 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM

@crankyoldlady

Even the one that showed a black dad with a white mom? Next thing you know, they’ll show the product of such a union as the New York Yankees short stop, with 5 WS rings and a first ballot Hall of Fame career.

rbj on August 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM

A dad who is still married to the mother of his children….oh and he has 4 children……um, this is an odd species.

terryannonline on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Drained Brain on August 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Bill certainly went off on Juan. I haven’t seen him yell like that in a while.

Brat on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I know its a slow summer, and while despots are running roughshod over the globe while our eunuch leader is destroying things at home, but man, some of y’all are humorless “Debbie downers”.

Geeze…

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

How to dad = dumping sugar on your kid?

Rode Werk on August 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Damn right. We get the jobs that Mom won’t do.

PackerBronco on August 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Geeze…

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Quit that. You’re spoiling the fun.

Corporal Tunnel on August 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on August 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Wha’d’ya mean “beer ads that denigrate women”?

If you mean ads with bikini-clad curvacious dolls, then I’m going to have to disagree with you.

I LIKE THOSE ADS . . . . . I don’t drink the beer, but I like the ads.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I WISH I had a dad like that.
Mine wasn’t even sort of like that.
*pout*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Awesome commercial. Way to go, MK.

1. Shows the solid Dad.
2. Who the hell has four kids anymore? Christians, that’s who. (OK, Muzzies too, but that’s only because they think they are going to take over the world but we’re going to crush them like the Islamovermin they are).
3. Did you see the bad peeling paint on the gutter pipe and the brown bushes? Awesome again … not some $3 million commercial house.

Jaibones on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Drained Brain on August 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Did I miss them screaming at each other ?

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Meh. It’s still a little too “cool dad” for me. But speaking of cereal, anyone here ever read Ace’s piece on “Kaboom” cereal from a couple of years ago? It is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read on a blog. I have shared it with so many people. I think you have to be a child of the 70s to get it, but if you are, and if you remember Kaboom, it is hilarious and so, so true. Google it.

Rational Thought on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I LIKE THOSE ADS . . . . . I don’t drink the beer, but I like the ads.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM

No you don’t, stop it. You just like the surgically enhanced chicks. Admit it … the guys in those ads are the biggest losers in our loser-dominated culture.

Jaibones on August 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Hubby, proud FOF (Father of Four), approves. Hubby is 6’4″, he laughed out loud at the kids-look-up-to-us-like-super-heroes-’cause-we’re-taller part.

Fallon on August 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Who the hell has four kids anymore? Christians, that’s who.

Jaibones on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Alright … I guess there’s truth to that.

A lot of the non-Christians get abortions.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Rational Thought on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Didn’t like Kaboom. My cereal of choice was Quisp.

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Fallon on August 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Spawn is slightly taller than his dad-and a LOT taller than his step-dad. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Thanks, MKH, for posting this!

Thankfully, my 13-year-old and 22-year-old already know that I’m not an idiot. Heck, they actually like me. Go figure.

Mark Boabaca on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I LIKE THOSE ADS . . . . . I don’t drink the beer, but I like the ads.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Jaibones on August 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM

YES … the “surgically enhanced chicks” is exactly what I was getting at.
Also, I agree with you about the guys in those ads.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I liked Apple Jacks and Sugar Smacks

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Drained Brain on August 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Did I miss them screaming at each other ?

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Film …umm, video at 11. I missed it too — catch it on the replay.

Alien on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Fallon on August 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Spawn is slightly taller than his dad-and a LOT taller than his step-dad. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

. . . . . and wayyy lot taller than mommy.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

A lot of the non-Christians get abortions.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Boom. There it is.

Jaibones on August 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Film …umm, video at 11. I missed it too — catch it on the replay.

Alien on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

If it was a good “hollerin’ match,” then someone will put it on youtube.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Also, I agree with you about the guys in those ads.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

The normal/cool/successful guys and womans are doing what normal/cool/successful guys and womans do. Who does that leave to make most of the TV garbage we don’t watch? Gay guys, angry liberal chicks, and these sissy guys with the skinny jeans who wear knit hats indoors in summer.

Jaibones on August 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

What do you know?

By the time you started eating cereal, they had already stopped giving out the fun prizes and premiums.

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
What do you know?

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Aw yeah … those were “the days”.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Dad of the year. And good kids, too. Commercial of the year. I even liked it, watched it twice.

Willys on August 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Well scripted, well acted, and clever. Problem is you could never get it down to 30 seconds without losing the message. Still, glad to see a major company go real life, no politically correct diversity smiling crap.

TXUS on August 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Also, forgot to mention, the opening with the kid wearing the horse head in the dad’s bed, an obvious Godfather metaphor, priceless.

TXUS on August 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Femanazis and Lefies in general are not going to like that.

Axion on August 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM

No one has picked up on this–loved the line “hot stuff coming through the Wife and the coffee”…how about that …4 kids later and he is still hot for his wife…This ad qualifies as a FemiNazi felony..

HatfieldMcCoy on August 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Forget about the commercial, Peanut Butter Cheerios?!?!?!

Dude, I am SO there.

Oxymoron on August 5, 2014 at 12:32 AM

HatfieldMcCoy on August 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

MKH picked up on it, but it was worth emphasizing.

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Willys on August 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Well scripted, well acted, and clever…glad to see a major company go real life, no politically correct diversity smiling crap.

TXUS on August 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Yup, yup.

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2014 at 12:34 AM

TXUS on August 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, then he tosses the kid overboard. That cracked me up. That’s a real cute ad, with little realistic touches like the kid with the cast, and the dog wearing the cone of shame.

I also like the car commercial with the cute red haired dad driving his redhead daughter around in circles so she can pretend she’s steering.

juliesa on August 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM

There’s still a wee bit too much “Dad is cool!!” instead of “Dad is not only loved he’s respected” for me, but otherwise, it’s a GIANT step in the right direction. My dad wasn’t trying to be hip or cool–he knew he was from an entirely different generation–but he was trying to be a loving, caring authority figure that I wound up respecting because he didn’t try to be my pal and instead came across as my father. We need to keep getting away from the need for parents to somehow be their kid’s bestie.

theotherone on August 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM

In my fifth decade of keeping my sperm out of the wrong spot, kidless for life, baby!

Tard on August 5, 2014 at 1:39 AM

How to dad = dumping sugar on your kid?

Rode Werk on August 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Really Michelle? That’s where that commercial took you?

May God have mercy on your children.

Spliff Menendez on August 5, 2014 at 1:41 AM

To all the haters of this commercial (even in the slightest degree), F-U.

Being a single father of two teenage daughters, this is the closest advertisement to real life that I’ve ever experienced.

UnstChem on August 5, 2014 at 2:38 AM

Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a minute. “Peanut Butter Cheerios” is a thing? A product sold? For human consumption?

I’m with MKH. Ugh-double-ugh from me.

Lolo on August 5, 2014 at 4:57 AM

He uses the word “awesome” too much. Once is too much.

BatGuano on August 5, 2014 at 5:16 AM

heh, my kids won’t let me say ‘awesome.’

Thanks MK. Clever and good ad. Loved that there are 4 kids.
I don’t watch tv anymore, but it has always been 2 kids as the norm, hasn’t it?

perries on August 5, 2014 at 7:00 AM

It’s getting the product some attention, but ultimately moms make the bulk of the buying decisions on cereal (and almost everything else except beer, outdoor gear and sports schwag), so it’ll be back to the usual “dads are nincompoops – stoke mom’s ego” formula.

Advertisers know what they are doing. Women in “the demo” are almost always the primary target. If they can appeal to men as well, it’s just a bonus. Take the ATT spokeswoman. They are going for the sweet spot of appealing to women (sharp, competent, pleasant but modest and non-threatening) while also subtly, ahem, appealing to men. It’s a fine line, but I think they are pulling it off.

forest on August 5, 2014 at 7:16 AM

In the sixteen years I knew him, my father never once said “awsome” but he did teach me a helluva lot. This guy may be smart but they still made him a wuss.

Mr. Grump on August 5, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Also, being a parent is cool,

MK, new parent. love new parents. never had a 17 y/o boy. or a 13 y/o girl. being a parent is cool. yeah. its survival. til you get to 23 or so…when they become humans again. i’ve had one in my house under the age of 14 now for…1987, doing my gazintas, looks like 27 years. i get to the finish line, last one out in 2023. funny how the ones that have left you really really miss; everyday.

t8stlikchkn on August 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Also, being a parent is cool,

Until the girls turn 13 years old! Chuckle. MKM, being a parent is cool and this is coming from an old guy with two in college, three teenage drivers at home, and a whole gaggle right behind all wanting dad to teach ‘em to drive.

Oh lord, as I have said before, what was I thinking. Well, having a wonderful wife/mother makes it pretty easy….now that I think about it. Time for a beer….oh, its not late and this is not QOTD I now realize. Hmmm…..

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Geeze…

cozmo on August 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

One of my favorite quotes…”Lighten up, Frances”. Of course, there’s always a handful of people that don’t get it.

As someone who’s in ad design, I really like this ad. Probably one of the better “focus on dad” ones I’ve seen…not too campy either.

terryannonline on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Until dad does something like in this classic:

JetBoy on August 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM

One other thing MKH. The turn 13 years old statement is in reference to middle school. You will find out soon enough what that means in today’s world!

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM

t8stlikchkn on August 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I just now read your post. Don’t let it freak you out that our minds were working the same for a few minutes. I promise, no long lasting harm will become of your brain; as long as it does not happen again.

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Feels like an answer/rip-off/homage? to the hybrid Cadillac spot– the one with the pale dude from Justified.

Whiskey Lima on August 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM

TXUS on August 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Also means it’ll be making an appearance at ‘the Chive’ website, in still or video format. They love things that use exactly that horse mask, for some reason.

Midas on August 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM

can be treated with dignity and respect by the brands we buy

No, if you’re buying Peanut Butter Cheerios, dignity is not something you get. Ain’t no way. *shudder*

The commercial is … meh. It’s better than the dad-is-a-doofus ones, but it 1) still assumes they are (hence the need to address them in such a fashion) and 2) this guy still is all about the cool (there’s not a single bit of the hard side of parenting in this). Yeah, it’s better, but it still feels … like a Hollywood family (even if the dude is Canadian).

GWB on August 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

To all the haters of this commercial (even in the slightest degree), F-U.

UnstChem on August 5, 2014 at 2:38 AM

I’m glad a 2 minute commercial selling breakfast cereal has made such an impact on your life.

portlandon on August 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

How refreshing it is to see something on TV that does not portray dads or males as morons, dolts, idiots, potential pedophiles, or serial abusers of women and children.

Denigrating males has been the meme for the last 20 years. Advertising for almost any product you can name as well as television, movies, and journalism has been aimed toward making single moms out as super heroes and the fathers at best as detached deadbeats, and at worst drunks and abusers.

No wonder males in an increasing number are deciding to go Galt and not get married, create children, or otherwise open themselves up to the tender mercies of “Family Court”, which should be renamed the Slave Market where men are treated as open ATMs for the sake of the children.

Kuffar on August 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Good Lord, what a bunch of humorless twatwaffles. I had to check the header to make sure I wasn’t reading a Slate column by mistake. But judging from the comments the grievance industry is no longer a domain of the left.

Now some trolls are gonna troll no matter what, because they are the True Believers In Conservatism and Judge of All Things Good. But allow me some points:

1)For those complaining about the amount of sugar in PBCheerios, allow me to point out that 3 oz of fresh OJ (right from the orange) equals the sugar in a serving of the Cheerios.

2)For those missing the discipline of being a dad, he got the kid out of bed, obviously knows his oldest daughter’s Crackbook account, and points out the one of the children needs to take out the trash.

3)For those missing the point of a commercial, it is entertainment. If you like depressing things as entertainment as some sort of masochistic desire to “keep it real”, I feel sorry for you. Most of us like to laugh, and not a single put down was observed in that commercial and it was happy, fun and wholesome.

MunDane68 on August 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Why does everyone always get that wrong? Canadians say “aboat”, not “aboot”, i.e “I’m going oat and aboat.”

TimB52 on August 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Of course “How to dad” = dumping sugar on your children.

I pity the child who doesn’t get to enjoy sugar rushes as a kid.

I learned that from my father. One of the things dads have to do is bring home the doughnuts.

Sackett on August 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Canadians say “aboat”, not “aboot”, i.e “I’m going oat and aboat.”

TimB52 on August 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM

They obviously pronounce “boat” differently where you live. I intereact with Canadians regularly, and all the ones I’ve heard (that weren’t Quebecois or such) say it closer to “aboot”.

GWB on August 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM

tetriskid on August 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

The American version would have to show two “dads”.

Cherokee on August 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Exactly. He wears an Oxford shirt, skinny jeans, and boat shoes to go outside. He’s not pudgy and balding. He apparently doesn’t need to get in 8-year-old car and commute 30+ minutes to a soul-sucking cubicle farm like most of us poor schlubs. He and his wife are alert and smiling before they have their coffee. His kids aren’t fighting with each other and complaining that dad is walking around with the box of Cheerios and not feeding them.

conservablogger on August 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I like the video. I’m not going to try Peanut Butter Cheerios, but they still get paid when I buy the Honey Nut kind, so maybe I’ll eat some more of those by way of thanks. And I may also move to Canada. Who’s with me?

joe_doufu on August 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Months ago there was an ad for Time Warner Cable. There’s a family meeting and Dad starts “What was the biggest mistake I ever made?” I wanted to kick in my tv screen. What makes it worse is I already have Time Warner Cable.

hadsil on August 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Nice commercial. Good casting.

disa on August 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Tard on August 5, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

cptacek on August 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM

He uses the word “awesome” too much. Once is too much.

BatGuano on August 5, 2014 at 5:16 AM

True.

And cereal is the breakfast of losers.

/Wheat Belly.

thejackal on August 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Peanut Butter Cheerios sound heavenly to me. Can’t wait to try it.

mike_NC9 on August 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM