Andrea Tantaros to Geraldo Rivera: Let’s face it, you’re an apologist for Hamas

posted at 4:41 pm on August 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze, I have nothing to say about the clip. I just really wanted to write that headline.

Okay, I’ll say one thing about the clip. This snippet from an interview with Israeli author Amos Oz (highlighted recently by Jeffrey Goldberg) resonates.

Amoz Oz: I would like to begin the interview in a very unusal way: by presenting one or two questions to your readers and listeners. May I do that?

Deutsche Welle: Go ahead!

Question 1: What would you do if your neighbor across the street sits down on the balcony, puts his little boy on his lap and starts shooting machine gun fire into your nursery?

Question 2: What would you do if your neighbor across the street digs a tunnel from his nursery to your nursery in order to blow up your home or in order to kidnap your family?

With these two questions I pass the interview to you.

That’s not an excuse for Israel to do whatever it wants in responding to Hamas — even Oz says in the interview that he thinks the IDF’s gone too far at times — but when the rest of the world greets this conundrum with either indifference or noisome support for Hamas, don’t expect Israeli public opinion to quaver at their disapproval. The ol’ “root causes” argument works both ways. What do critics like Geraldo suppose is the root cause for near-unanimous Israeli support of the mission in Gaza, a mounting death toll and international opprobrium notwithstanding? Is it bloodthirstiness or rather a weary determination to cripple Hamas knowing that Israel will be demonized come what may?

I’ll say a word about this silliness too, since we’re on the subject of Israel.

Republicans believe that the deepening crisis in Gaza could ultimately loosen the grip that the Democratic Party has traditionally held upon American Jewish voters…

[According to former Bush advisor Noam Neusner,] “The bigger issue is with the Democratic Party electorate, namely academic elites, African-Americans and younger voters. As those blocs of voters become more skeptical of Israel’s right to defend itself — and that seems to be happening — that is going to make American Jews who are Democratic Party voters less comfortable in their own party.”…

Highlighting the recent polls, another Bush administration Jewish liaison, Tevi Troy, said, “Democratic voters are much less likely to be supportive of Israel and Republicans voters are overwhelmingly supportive. That means that, if you are a Democratic politician and you are speaking to your base, the audience that you’re speaking to has a less than 50-50 shot of being pro-Israel.”

But Troy also noted that expectations among conservatives that Jewish voters will align themselves with Republicans have been raised — and dashed — before.

Indeed they have. In fact, “Jewish voters defecting to the GOP?” stories are a staple of political writing whenever there’s a flare between Israel and the Palestinians and the lefty base reacts predictably. There’s just no reason to think it’s going to happen anytime soon, though. Like everyone else, Jewish Americans aren’t single-issue voters; Israel matters to them, certainly enough to make Obama leery of taking a position that’s as pro-Palestinian as he’d probably like, but by and large they’re socially and fiscally liberal. Unless Democrats in Congress and the White House turned on Israel completely — which is unlikely, right, Michelle Nunn? — Jewish voters are safely Democratic in the short term. Longer term is trickier for the reason Neusner gives in the clip. It may be true that as demographics change, the Democratic base will become more anti-Israel. According to Pew’s poll last week, young adults, blacks, and Latinos — all core constituencies of the Obama coalition — were far more likely to blame Israel for the current conflict than older voters and white voters were. If that trend persists, inevitably congressional Democrats will start to rethink their support for the Jewish state. And then Jewish voters will have a decision to make.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

1,800 casualties to 3? and I’m supposed to feel sorry for Israel?!

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Don’t feel “sorry” for them … simply AGREE that they were attacked ‘unprovoked’, and were justified in using the physical military might they have at their disposal, to deal with the attack.

No nation who has been attacked has any obligation to be “diplomatic” with the civilian population who harbor the enemy combatants that attacked them.
(how many German and Japanese civilians did we kill during our bomber raids? … not even counting the atomic bombs)

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM

nonpartisan what percentage of Israel is Arab?

What percentage of Pals support a two state solution?

How many times have the Pals turned down the opportunity to have a land of their own?

Please show me your vast knowledge.

CW on August 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM

u evaded my question nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I’ll answer it, for myself..

They should line up tanks and bulldozers in the north, and plow the place under. Drive them in to the Sinai.

Clear enough for you?

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Remember, nonpartisan is the guy that thinks law abiding citizens should lose their gun rights while the bad guys can do whatever they wish. Idiots like this one think that the person attacked owes the attacker a ‘fair’ fight. nonpartisan is an uneducated liberal loser. Sorry for so much redundancy.

CW on August 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Clear enough for you?

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM

He doesn’t really care. Remember in the past couple days he said he does not care about that region. You can tell the sincerity of his words in this thread.

CW on August 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM

They mean a whole lot less to Hamas.

Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM

you evaded my question

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

They “mean” semi-innocent civilian victims, among whom the enemy who attacked Israel are hiding … period.

I say “semi-innocent”, because the Gaza residents did willfully choose Hamas to be their political leaders.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

you know what CW, you’re right about one thing…I should stay away from this topic

it just gives me a headache

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

ou missed the point of my post when you weighed in, but to answer your question: After watching them dance in the streets while 3,000 Americans died and give their Nazi salutes (not just Hamas terrorists either), I quit caring about them. They get the government that they deserve…and their government doesn’t give a shit about them. Mothers gladly sacrifice their children (one mum has had 6 sons martyr themselves and she is thrilled). If they don’t care about their people, especially children, why should I? Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I believe you had a post on your site about that nazi connection, MB thang.

Your Harvard bud can’t put 2+2 together.

Hey nonP,,, it’s the joooooos.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM

1800 casualties to 3? and I’m supposed to feel sorry for Israel?!

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

You’re a sorry POS.

claudius on August 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM

it just gives me a headache

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Living “real-life” would give you a headache.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

u know what CW, you’re right about one thing…I should stay away from this topic it just gives me a headache nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Radical Islam has the perfect remedy for a headache.

Tell them you’re gay.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:30 PM

RWM, are you jewish?

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

RWM, are you jewish? nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Are you?

More importantly,, do you dress like her?

I doubt you could pull off the stilletto’s.

But you’ll lie that you can,, haaaavard boy.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Israel is wrong to fight so timidly.
They are going to be demonized no matter how they conduct themselves.
Fight the war to win.
Annihilate Hamas.
In the long run, they would probably actually decrease civilian casualties overall by winning and winningly completely. And if not, well, war is indeed hell.

justltl on August 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM

RWM, are you jewish?

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I am an atheist. My dad is sort of an agnostic Jew and my mum is a lapsed Anglican. As a child, I went to church, not synagogue. My dad’s great-aunt and her family were murdered by the Nazis.

My religion or lacked there of is irrelevant. I know history and I understand the position of Islamists. There can never be any negotiated settlement with them. They are supremacists and seek to make everyone in the world convert to Islam or pay jizya. If ‘infidels’ refuse to do either, they want them dead, dead, dead.

There can be no reasoning with people who value death more than life. Period. Story. End of.

Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Are you?

More importantly,, do you dress like her?

I doubt you could pull off the stilletto’s.

But you’ll lie that you can,, haaaavard boy.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM

no, I’m not jewish

not sure where you’re going with the rest of your comment

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

it just gives me a headache

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

RWM, are you jewish?

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

You’re certifiable.

CW on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

You used to bail when mommy said it was din-din time.

All Harvard grads do that.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I am an atheist.
Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

hmmm, another sign of your intellect (I also do not believe in fairy tales)

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Some may remember several years ago when Geraldo got booted back to the states for revealing the position of the troops where he was “embedded.”

Lefty poseurs like Geraldo should stick to Capone’s vault and human oddity shows tailored to LowFo Obama voters such as the dreck he and Phil Donahue used to peddle until Jerry Springer out-freaked them.

viking01 on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

You don’t deal with a rabid animal by wounding it. That would not be a favor to the animal.
You kill it.
And then you shoot it again just to be sure that it’s dead.
Later, you can feel bad for any innocent bystander animals that might have gotten themselves in the way.

justltl on August 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Not sure where you’re going with the rest of your comment nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I know.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Your mirror just barfed.

viking01 on August 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM

mmm, another sign of your intellect (I also do not believe in fairy tales) you truly are my lone intellectual peer on this board, RWM. though we may stand on opposite ends of issues (and you attended a slightly lesser though still prestigious legal institution), the power of our faculties are unrivaled and I enjoy our war of ideas nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

One could crap his pants laughing..

It has to be AP parody, and it’s quite good.

wolly4321 on August 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

RWM; there is a justifiable argument that no one is ‘atheist’. Those who claim to be so simply substitute one ‘god’ for another. The Israelis don’t need to be religous to defend themselves. The Muslims need to be religous to explain themselves. Square the circle here for me, will ya?

DemetriusPhalerum on August 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Oh, and RWM. I largely agree with your take on the Islamists.

DemetriusPhalerum on August 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I think we see our proof that this one is a sock puppet.

Anyone hear from Bishop tonight?

CW on August 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM

you evaded my question

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Hey fuk nutz, can you go just go to some community college refresher so maybe you don’t look so stupid 105% of the time?

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2014 at 11:07 PM

-Hamas launches thousands of rockets into Israel with the full intention of killing as many people as possible. They would gladly slaughter every Jewish man, woman and child in Israel if given the chance.

-Israel bends over backwards trying to minimize civilian casualties.

And despite the clarity of this, liberals’ primary focus is to demonize Israel.
This affair provides one of the most crystal clear windows yet into the twisted and completely gummed-up mind of the liberal.

justltl on August 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM

so palestinian lives mean nothing to you?

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM

They mean a whole lot less to Hamas.

Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM

you evaded my question

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I thought I gave a decent answer to your question.

But it wasn’t a “yes or no” answer, so maybe that “disqualifies” it.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2014 at 11:07 PM

A GED would be an improvement.

slickwillie2001 on August 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I am an atheist.

Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

hmmm, another sign of your intellect (I also do not believe in fairy tales)

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

“Theists” NEED NOT APPLY.

listens2glenn on August 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM

the power of our faculties are unrivaled and I enjoy our war of ideas

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

You are one troubled individual. Say “hi” to the hand that loves you tonight.

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

the power of our faculties are unrivaled and I enjoy our war of ideas

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

PS, she left a nonpartisan this morning who has more sense then you do.

arnold ziffel on August 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

“A perfectly good thread, shot to hell!”

Colonel Sherman T. Potter

Hey, non-p, I’m going snipe hunting now with my cap gun. Come on over.

Del Dolemonte on August 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

If the IDF gets rid of Hamas islam then the people of Gaza can turn the place into the “Hong Kong of the Med.”.

With Hamas islam you get death and destruction.
Without it you get a great chance for the people of Gaza to join the 21st century.

Bubba Redneck on August 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM

FIFY.

Rebar on August 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Leftists despise Israel because it is a high functioning democracy. It is also to them a surrogate of their main enemy, the United States. Furthermore, the Left has a longstanding tradition of loathing Jews.
So the Left’s position on this conflict is pretty easy to understand.

It’s just a tad more difficult to understand how Liberals ended up gleefully coming down on the side of terrorists who would gladly behead them for voicing even one of their kooky ideas. Somehow, liberals seem to have these empty, sheep-like noggins that just suck up the vile ideas of the Leftists like a Shop Vac sucking up some disgusting garage spill. (I just got one, thus the odd analogy.) Their brains are somehow programmed or hard-wired to receive the Leftist message. How else to even remotely understand the astonishing phenomenon of Jews supporting a progressively anti-Semitic political party and administration. Or the even more astonishing support of blacks for the Democrats, vile founders of the KKK, obstructionists to civil rights in the 1960s and presently a Party that has done nothing but grave harm to blacks culturally and economically.

Liberals truly are the useful idiots of the Left.

justltl on August 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM

BTW, no personal offense intended to any specific liberals here, bless their hearts.

justltl on August 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM

The mainstream media considers its primary job to bury the Muslim holocaust against us. (And by ‘us,’ I mean all non-Muslims.)

Refreshing to hear some push-back on this for once.

WhatSlushfund on August 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I’m supposed to feel sorry for Israel?!

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Why don’t you think with your brain instead of your emotions?

corkie on August 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Israeli author Amos Oz poses an interesting set of questions.

I have one of my own… for a Senatrix from CA.

Why does a Mayor giver herself a firearm for self-defense against a threat on her and her family yet deny that right to self-defense to her fellow citizens?

Some years later said mayor, now a senator says, “Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in.”

oryguncon on August 5, 2014 at 2:03 AM

She hates your freedoms.

Kenosha Kid on August 5, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Hamas-apologist Geraldo at 3:40s: “There is only one solution… there has to be a 2 state solution…

Let the record show that Geralod is yet another “final solution” genocide proponent.

Jordanian-Arabs of The Palestinian Authority demand removal of “settlements” and that no Jewish communities be allowed in Judea (the so-called “West Bank“).

Meanwhile, Egyptian-Arabs in Hamastan have ethnically cleansed Gaza of every ethnic Jew.

It would appear that people demanding the ethnic cleansing of Jews from these disputed territories envision one country (Israel) where Jews, Muslims and others may live as equals; and another (Palestine) where Jews are verboten.

If that isn’t Islamo-supremacist genocide, I don’t know what is.

Terp Mole on August 5, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Now that this “tank shell” attack has been proven to be staged by Hamas, will Geraldo retract his odious condemnation of Israel?

Tantaro is right. Geraldo should be stripped of his media credentials and indicted for his willful campaign of peddling Hamas “material support” propaganda.

Terp Mole on August 5, 2014 at 3:21 AM

That’s Geraldo’s trick…

He takes a side that is just wrong when a child’s logic is applied.

Someone calls him out on it and here comes the passive/aggressive defense like a playbook.

He snarks the predictable, “You should be ashamed of yourself” – you have the problem, not the position he holds he is supposed to support.

I like him but when it comes to political and human rights issues I’ve tuned him out over the last couple years.

zdpl0a on August 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM

At video 2:42 –Geraldo points out he has a Jewish star of David on his left hand?

So does he mirthfully joke about that with his Hamas buddies ? As everyone knows the left hand is the unclean hand that you wipe you arse with

Way to go Geraldo

BigSven on August 5, 2014 at 7:10 AM

It won’t. Never again has become “Hey, maybe it will be different this time.”

Physics Geek on August 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Does anyone remember Geraldo’s television program where he railed on and on against Clinton’s impeachers? We had to listen to him rationalizing lying about sex ad nauseuum and hear the disgusting tales of his own infidelity. He was a proud Clinton supporter and hated that evil, Ken Starr. Intellectual honesty? He didn’t know the meaning of the words. His program was pure demagoguery.

rhombus on August 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I sure do, and I remember when Clinton was walking in the Rose Garden after being impeached that Geraldo couldn’t help but cry on air “I just want to run and put my arms around him!!” I was disgusted when FoxNews hired him from MSNBC.

Marcus on August 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I remember Geraldo’s tv show where he opened up Al Capone’s’ lair amid great anticipation of long hidden treasures of the mobster only to find …………………………………nothing. And that is Geraldo the only official registered Republican who is a card carrying Democrat and has the Star of David tattooed on his hand. My sympathies to Israel.

Herb on August 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I see NP is back. I once had a discussion about Judicial Review with NP and after a few minutes NP’s final answer was straight from Wiki. My reply was Principles of Constitutional Law by John E. Nowak and Ronald D. Rotunda…use it as a source since that is the book used at Harvard Law.

If NP says she/he graduated from Harvard Law, who I am to disagree. It just seemed strange to use Wiki as a reference when NP should still have a copy of the Principles of Constitutional Law (POCL)sitting around.

Geez, I barely gots me GED, but still gots me a copy of POCL.

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

…Is the analogy of the child on the lap really appropriate? Gaza is densely populated and Hamas positions are inevitably in civilian areas…

(not) verbaluce on August 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

ou carry water for leaders on two continents.

Pathetic. You really are a POS.

CW on August 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Islamic terrorists, no matter where they are in the world always use the innocent as human shields — but you known that. Will you tell us that Hitler was just misunderstood next?

Axion on August 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Just for the record, the above quote is falsely attributed to me.
For some reason, listens2glen copied it and signed my name to it. (Thanks, L2G!), I will assume in error. But not my quote and not my sentiment.
(Though I have no doubt CW still thinks I am a ‘POS’.)
I think Oz’s analogy is an apt one and captures the dilemma IDF must deal with. But like Oz, I feel Israeli military action has still been excessive and insanely disproportionate to the threat. Every child in Gaza is not sitting on the lap of a Hamas fighter.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

In verbie and Jimbo’s world, the allies shouldn’t have bombed Berlin even though Hitler & Co were there…because civilians!

Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM

In RWM’s world, lame Hitler analogies are weak fall-backs from any substantive response to an actual position.
(And also, I’m not Jimbo.)

You live in Massachusetts, right?

NY & Maine.

Would you support an offensive against Connecticut if the ruling terror group there lobbed 3,000 rockets into your state in 4 weeks and built tunnels under your kids’ nursery school in preparation of a massacre?

Yes, I would.
Should such offensive consider such facts as the effectiveness and level of the threat and the impact of the offensive on the non-terrorists living in CT? Yes. If such threat resulted in virtually no civilian casualties – should the killing of 2000 CT civilians be viewed as failed strategy…or failed execution of one Yes. Should I just get lob tank shells into schools and neighborhoods, killing hundreds, and then go on Fox and say ‘well someone was shooting from near there’. No.
Again, Oz and I are much more on the same page than many here who couldn’t get past the little bit of him Allah quoted.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Nothing wrong with having that debate.

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Yes, Jerry Rivers, you have been covering war for years. You have also been thrown out of warzones for idiotic actions like drawing secret troop movements in the sand on live TV. You – in short – are a DUMBASS of the first order and should simply STFU.

PJ Emeritus on August 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Just for the record, the above quote is falsely attributed to me.
(Though I have no doubt CW still thinks I am a ‘POS’.)

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

It was slickwillie’ at 6:22 PM,

verbaluce on August 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

This is bullshit propaganda. There are plenty of open spaces in Gaza that they could shoot from. They choose not to because they want human shields and they hide the rockets in civilian and UN facilities.

slickwillie2001 on August 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I then copy/pasted it at 7:00 PM

I didn’t even consider that slickwillie’ (or anybody else I “copy’n’paste” for that matter) might misquote others, so I just went with it.

Guess I need to be more careful, in the future.

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM

No worries.
As I wrote, I assumed in error.
And like I said, it’s not like CW wouldn’t call me a ‘POS’ anyway.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Another member of the “Israel has a right to defend itself BUT” wing of the Democrat party.

Listen to them – they all throw that “but” in there.

TarheelBen on August 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

How is anyone compiling a record of Gaza children killed, who were NOT in the vicinity of a legitimate, military target ?

Before you answer … you should know that I consider ANY AND EVERY PLACE from which any kind of weapon is deployed against Israel, to be a legitimate, military target.

If a rocket is launched from the roof of a nursery/daycare center … GUESS … WHAT … period.

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Geraldo was exposed as a pathetic, embarassing, journalist wannabe when he aired the prime-time LIVE show on Al Capone’s ‘Vault’….that turned out to be completely EMPTY! He has been nothing but an ignorance/liberal-spewing hack ever since, not to be taken seriously.

easyt65 on August 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Gaza is densely populated and Hamas positions are inevitably in civilian areas…

verbaluce on August 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Ah, the Hillary Clinton defense of Hamas. It’s amazing to hear these people defend and make excuses for the terrorists, the IslamoNazis, whose origins can be traced back to the jihadist connection to the Third Reich.

TarheelBen on August 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM

(NOT SAID BY) verbaluce on August 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

TarheelBen on August 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Can you maybe read just a few comments up?

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Here’s a serious clue. Apparently the rest of the world has conveniently forgotten how you win a war. You win a war by killing more of the bad guys than they kill of your good guys, until they cry “uncle.” Israel has NOT forgotten, and the Obama Regime’s treatment of Israel has made them LESS likely to listen to the USA’s cajoling to stop as they have in the past.

PJ Emeritus on August 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

That’s an interesting point of view.

So you’re suggesting Israel should only respond by using similar unprecise and indiscriminate blanket rocket attacks back into the region, correct?

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

And when a nursery where no rockets are being fired from is hit…no issue or concern with that?
You’re parroting the same talking points as the Israeli govt. spokesmen have been. Independent reporting shows that many of these targets had no weapons, no fighters, no threat. I’m not at all suggesting the IDF deliberately and wantonly killed civilians.
I’m saying that their disproportionate attacks bring about these results by default. So the strategy is compromised morally.
It’s funny how on a site where there’s a healthy distrust of government as the arbiter of all truth, it’s just baying sheep for Netanyahu’s PR team.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Can you maybe read just a few comments up?

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Okay, I withdraw that comment. But I stand by my comment about the “Israel has a right to defend itself BUT” wing of the Democrat party.

TarheelBen on August 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

+1 and great point.

The weirdest part is watching our pro-government/pro-IRS posters decide all of the sudden that they don’t trust it again for this tiny instant, though.

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

No one wants civilians of any type killed that I know of. It does happen sadly, not just in war.

Interesting that you made the point “where no rockets are being fired from”. You do realise that any target that has civilians in and around the targeted area, be it an actual launch site or just a storage site, gets a pre-warning to leave the area. The IDF sends out messages both in digital and analog form. The truth is that Hamas forces the civilians to stay put and die because they need the body count to have a messaging ware against Israel.

I have no problem debating the above, as long as we stay in context. I will not even bring into the discussion, other than here, the many kids and civilians that have been killed using drones approved by President Obama. Those civilians never got a warning and lots more than a 1,000 were killed.

Wish you well and I don’t think you are a POS and folks should refrain from that type of comment.

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM

O/T

How times have changed. Used to be the left was for individual liberty and the little guy; against “The Man” the IRS and the CIA.

The current left/progressives are now “The Man”, the IRS and the CIA.

Sorry about the O/T, but you gots me little Irish pea brain off track.

HonestLib on August 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM

QUESTION AUTHORITY

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Whether my comment parrots the same talking points as the Israeli govt. spokesmen is irrelevant.

Killing of Gaza civilians who are not in the vicinity of legitimate military targets cannot hardly be documented accurately by ANYONE. Hamas can’t reliably prove that it’s happening in significant numbers, and Israel can’t reliably prove that it’s not. … “Fog of war” … and Israel carries no yoke of burden for having initiated these current hostilities.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

There ain’t no such thing as “independent” or “neutral” reporting on any of this. A few news agencies are pro-Israel, the rest are ANTI-Israel . . . . . NO ONE is pro-Hamas, except Al Jazeera.

I’m not at all suggesting the IDF deliberately and wantonly killed civilians.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

On the basis of WHAT information, provided by whom … has this conclusion that Israel’s attacks are “disproportionate” been arrived at ?

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

How “funny” is it ? … I’m not laughing.

Until someone proves responsibility on the part of Israel in provoking these initial rocket-attacks that started this whole mess, HANG YEAH … I’m gonna keep “baying” . . . . . baa-aa-aa-aa-aa.

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

How long will Fox put up with Rivera? The other day he was attacking Michael Scheuer, the former head of the CIA’s Bin Laden unit, for criticising Clinton’s failure to get Bin Laden. Referencing Clinton’s comment that he would have had to destroy the Afghan city of Kandahar, Rivera callenged Scheuer “Have you been to Kandahar?” as if the fact that he’d been there as a reporter gave him some insight or credibility that a senior CIA officer lacked. The audacity was staggering, not to mention the Derek Zoolander-like lack of self-awareness.

Oh and last week he was trotting out the made-up fact that 40% of the dead in Gaza were children. Taken together there is enough ammunition here for a campaign for Fox to ditch him. Let’s roll!

neocon stormtrooper on August 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

This bit seems to be lost in the ‘fog’ as well.
Obviously there was the kidnappings and killings.
And then there was an IDF targeted drone or missile strike of some sort on a Hamas figure. And then were rockets fired at Israel (some say not actually by Hamas but some other group?). And then, and then, and then , and then…

I’m not trying to blame Israel here. But there doesn’t seem to be a consistent story as to how this all started.
Aside from it being always bubbling under regardless.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I’m not at all suggesting the IDF deliberately and wantonly killed civilians.

verbaluce on August 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Israel didn’t blow a whistle while urinating and vomiting on itself and yelling “I’m menstruating” when attacked.

Or maybe inadequate trigger warnings.

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Courtesy of Blake, from the Americans support Israel and the press hates it thread.

How to set up and fire a rocket as filmed by an Indian reporter from his hotel window.

Blake on August 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM

listens2glenn on August 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Stop insulting RWM, she is clearly your (vast) intellectual superior

PJ Emeritus on August 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM

That’s not an excuse for Israel to do whatever it wants in responding to Hamas

Yes it is. That’s exactly what it is. Israeli soldiers are killed going door to door in order to prevent civilian deaths. They have the right to sit back and shell the enemy that has started this war and protect all its’ citizens, civilian and military. The British and American air war killed far more German civilians than the Germans killed British and American civilians. Are you saying we were not justified? That we were the bad guys in WWII?

peacenprosperity on August 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Or maybe inadequate trigger warnings.

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Oh, and tackling.

I always forget strategic tackling.

rogerb on August 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

LOL, I missed that original post.

Dude – I’ve got a bag of Funyuns on my desk that are *your* intellectual peer, but I won’t say it out loud for fear of offending them.

Midas on August 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM

It’s war not an 18 century dual. Tell Israeli infantry that they shouldn’t use tanks because it’s not a fair fight.

gxbhkt on August 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Jerry Rivers == Putz

Reaffirming my position … why in hell do people subscribe to cable?

Missilengr on August 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Resist We Much on August 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I lived in Saudi Arabia for four years. 1996-2000. I spoke with several Saudis who said that the Palestinians were a worthless people. They had a fundraiser that took in millions from the Saudis, and then disappeared with the proceeds. Probably to Switzerland.

The Saudis and Muslims in general don’t give a crap about the Pals. They are the bums of the Muzzie world. They kill Jews, so they get the lip service. Other than that, they can all die.

Yupper.

thejackal on August 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Wow.

hmmm, another sign of your intellect (I also do not believe in fairy tales)

nonpartisan on August 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM

NP equates atheism with intellect. You know, of course, Albert Einstein was not an atheist.

Funny, I always thought those who dismissed any theism outright because nothing could be “proven” to their satisfaction to have the lowest of measurable intellectual capacity.

I guess we will all find out sooner or later, huh?

BigAlSouth on August 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I see Geraldo is still the “Spitter” !

joeswampy on August 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM

even Oz says in the interview that he thinks the IDF’s gone too far at times

Good thing that people with that mentality were not running things during World war II. How dare any one second guess Israel when it is fighting a genocidal enemy!

Hilts on August 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I would love to know why this American hating liberal is on FOX. Do they need American hating Liberals on staff that bad? He even tried to give out Military information to the enemy during the beginning of the attack on Iraq. He is just like the rest of the liberals in America an Antisemitic .

Democrats = Antisemitic

pwb on August 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I’m simply baffled by how some of the worst antisemites in PRACTICE seem to be Jews, e.g. Schumer! How they can stomach a proven lawless, fascist Israel-hating nutcase like him & his party I can’t fathom; it just boggles the mind.

russedav on August 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I’ll repeat if its been said earlier:

American Jews are Progressives First, and Jews Second (or lower).

Another Drew on August 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM

“One does not negotiate with madmen!”

Especially madmen who have never left the 14th century.

If Netanyahu is pushed hard enough. It’ll be “Nuke ‘em ’til they glow. Then shoot ‘em in the dark!” time!

Jack Deth on August 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Geraldo Rivera is such a confused man. His opinions on the Middle East Conflict do not contain any truth . He tattoos “Star of David” on his hand espousing the cruelty of Israel for defending itself against an enemy who has no sense of humanity in how it carries out its annihilation of Israel by use civilian shields and killing those shields that survive.

While, we (the U.S.) are allowed to let presumed experts such as Geraldo Rivera to claim Israel is using inhumane means of defending themselves by shooting at the Enemy while shielding themselves with civilians which are simply the enemy of Hamas.

Let’s simplify radical Islamic rules of War -”My enemy is your target”

MSGTAS on August 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM