Rand Paul busts a rhyme against Grimes

posted at 12:31 pm on August 3, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Political figures leaving the well worn routine of policy stump speeches and venturing into the realm of verse doesn’t always work out all that well for them. (Rapper MC Rove, anyone?) But at this year’s edition of the Fancy Farm picnic in Kentucky, Rand Paul decided to try his hand at rhyming poetry, going on the attack against Alison Lundergan Grimes and in support of Mitch McConnell.

“There once was a woman from Kentucky,
who thought in politics she’d be lucky,
So she flew to L.A. for a Hollywood bash.
She came home in a flash with buckets of cash.
To liberals, she whispers: coal makes you sick.
In Kentucky, she claims coal makes us tick.
To the liberals, she sells her soul – the same ones who hate Kentucky coal.
One thing we know is true, one thing we know is guaranteed,
she’d cast her first vote for Harry Reid.
Grimes’ real pledge is to Obama; her first vote is to Reid;
as for Kentucky, if that happens, it’s too bad indeed.”

Not too shabby.

It remains to be seen if Paul’s support will rally any additional voters to Mitch’s cause. The Senate Minority Leader could apparently use all the help he can get, since the last round of numbers from the Bluegrass Poll shows McConnell with only a 2% lead over Grimes. Another poll from the same time period also shows that Kentucky voters are fed up with waiting for the candidates to face off in a debate.

Two-thirds of Kentucky voters say U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell and Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes have an obligation to the people of Kentucky to debate each other, according to the latest Bluegrass Poll.

The poll found that 66 percent of voters believe McConnell, a Republican, and Grimes, a Democrat, should debate, and large majorities of every demographic group polled said the two should face off.

At least 13 people and organizations have offered to host the debates, and while both McConnell and Grimes have accepted at least one offer, they can’t agree on which debate to attend together.

Generally when you see a race without debates it’s a case of a clear leader wanting to dodge the event to hang on to their edge and not give the underdog a chance to turn the momentum. That doesn’t seem to be what’s happening here, though. Given that both candidates are claiming to be ready to go, but disagreeing on the forum, it’s more likely that each wants to find a setting and moderator that won’t be quite so hostile to them. That could be a tricky feat to pull off, but hopefully some neutral ground will be located and the voters will get a chance to see the candidates put through their paces.

EDIT: (Jazz) It turns out that the poet was actually Rand Paul, not Paul Rand, the famous encyclopedia salesman.

Comments

Vote Carr
Not Lamar

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Two bad choices for KY. Grimes is a leftist running as a “moderate” as all dims do in red or purple states.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Kansas and Tennessee primaries this week. Time to retire Roberts and Alexander.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Wrong state.

ladyingray on August 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Very perturbing

The DIABLOs are dead set to lose, again.

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM

“Paul Rand”

genital reach on August 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Speaking of Kentucky, remember that in Tennessee the primary for the climate change pushing amnesty Lamar Alexander, who voted for Rubio’s amnesty billon Thursday, is on August 7th.

It’s a Cantor like situation where Alexander has been outspending his lesser known opponent by like 25 to 1. And Alexander is making a big deal about an “internal poll” supposedly showing him with a big lead, but other polls don’t show that. For example, a Red Racing Horses poll just out on Friday does have Lamar leading but only by 41 – 29. Yet there is 20% undecided which is very high for an incumbent. With the rising force of the amnesty issue, and about a week left, I can easily see a Carr victory.

In a single minute Laura Ingraham does an outstanding job summing up why defeating Alexander is so important: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/07/29/Laura-Ingraham-Stars-in-Robocall-Supporting-Joe-Carr

Vote Carr, not Lamar!

anotherJoe on August 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Expose the rats, in toto, and always, with NO reservations. It’s the only way they ever win.

p.s yes, sorry KY, you have two rotten choices but you must still look at the entire land and what miserable destruction she’s in.

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Vote Carr
Not Lamar

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Well said!

anotherJoe on August 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Vote Carr, not Lamar!

anotherJoe on August 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I stole this from you, but was in a hurry and couldn’t recall who’d posted it last night. Good one, and thank you.

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM

There was an old turtle named Mitch

He was the chamber of commerce’s B1tch

And then there was Rand, an elf of a man

Who chose the wrong Rino to pitch

If turtle get’s lucky, he’ll win Kentucky

But’s the elf’s aspirations

To lead this great nation

Are gonna wind up in the ditch

Exninja on August 3, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Grimes challenges Biden

butch on August 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I once knew i girl from ol’ kentuck

She couldn’t cook, but she sure could……………….sing!

VegasRick on August 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I don’t think a debate is going to happen. Grimes has spent a bajillion dollars already and is virtually tied with the Incumbent as they so gleefully said in the article about the poll and the picnic festivities.

So far she has shown that she is challenged in unscripted situations so she has a lot to lose in an actual fair debate. After all, this election is going to come down to which side has the most negative sound bites to toss at the other side. There is no way she is going to agree to a debate unless it is conducted by one of the two Liberal Newspapers here in KY, either the Journal who did this survey or the News Herald in Lexington. McConnell wont agree to that because they are way too far Left Wing outfits.

UK offered the other day to host the debate(s) but so far I haven’t seen an answer from either side.

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Grimes on Israel border issues

butch on August 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Besides being politically challenged, he’s limerick challenged.

Walter L. Newton on August 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Yes I would think Grimes would have a lot to lose in a debate. She comes across as very coached and scripted. She’d probably have trouble giving the time and date if it wasn’t written in front of her.

Although I think this race will remain close, I think McConnell will win. Barry is even more unpopular than he is.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

What it will come down to is two big issues for us in Kentucky, Gun Control and Abortion, and Grimes is on the losing side of both of them. That plus the fact she has refused or deferred answers on various other issues of concern as a candidate for the US Senate. I can’t vote for a person who is pro abortion and in favor of even more gun control laws.

I suggest everyone check out :on the issues” website for more detailed info on her stances or lack of.

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Though it’s not like I thought of it myself, as the Carr campaign & supporters has already been using that slogan for a while. Yet when Carr doesn’t have a ton of money, we just somehow have to figure out how to .. .. get through to the people of Tennessee .. .. in this last week that defeating the amnesty shill Lamar Alexander will go a long way toward getting the amnesty sickness out of the GOP. But sending Lamar back will signal that it’s business as usual for amnesty and the GOP leadership. Boot out Lamar!

Plus, Lamar believes the leftist baloney on climate change. That’s a pet peeve of mine. And Lamar supposedly backs Obama with his destructive anti-coal EPA garbage. In Kentucky that anti-coal stuff wouldn’t go down well at all, but I guess Tennessee doesn’t care that much about coal (??). Maybe Lamar feels the Al Gore thing as Gore is from TN, who knows why.

Laura Ingraham has really been working hard for Carr, as here: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/07/22/Laura-Ingraham-Skewers-Lamar-Alexander-As-Old-And-Out-Of-Touch-in-Rally-For-Joe-Carr

anotherJoe on August 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Have the Truconz said, “Rand Paul is dead to me, now.”? Just wondered.

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Kansas and Tennessee primaries this week. Time to retire Roberts and Alexander.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Yup, going down to the wire. In the stretch!

anotherJoe on August 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I’ve heard she also won’t say if she would have voted for Obamacare. She’s a leftist running as a “moderate”.

I think Mitch would destroy her in a debate.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Only racist leftist swine can do this.

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I once knew i girl from ol’ kentuck

She couldn’t cook, but she sure could……………….sing!

VegasRick on August 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

LMAO

celtic warrior on August 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I think Mitch would destroy her in a debate.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I have been watching this one very closely because I honestly don’t want McConnell back in DC for yet another six years, but I can’t vote for her. If I did I would have no one to blame but myself the minute she got to DC and started voting lock step with Reid. A bad situation overall.

Plus the fact that she believes in unrestricted access to abortion on demand for women disguised under “reproductive healthcare rights”. My morals wont let me vote for her on that alone.

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Too bad Grimes wasn’t born in Nantucket.

formwiz on August 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I definitely understand. No way could I vote for her either if I was in KY.

You are right it’s a bad situation overall. I think Mitch will win because Obama is even more unpopular than he is, and because lots of people like yourself realize that Grimes would be a rubber stamp for Reid.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Reality check

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Johnnyreb on August 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

We hear ya, and equally immoral is that her first vote would be for that souless, lying scum of the world, Reid. Then, after that she will vote for every Obama judicial appointment, even worse.

I pray that the good Kentucky folks who feel as you do will tough it out, hold your noses, and vote for McConnell. The nation can’t afford to lose a single R Senate seat this year, no matter what.

TXUS on August 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM

There’s a man from Kentucky named “Mitch”,
And he is Barack, Reid, and Pelosi’s bitch.
He promises the Republic to save,
But to democrat demands will always cave.

SouthernGent on August 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Grimes on Israel border issues

butch on August 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Alison Lundergan Grimes, “The Iron Dope”.

ChrisB on August 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM

There is a cute girl in Kentucky

With whom Bill Clinton may have got lucky…

Anti-Statist on August 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Well, all I can say is, McConnell has managed to keep Republicans united in their opposition to most of Obama’s initiatives. Grimes will vote the Party line….

To ME the choice is clear, one more vote for Obama or not…truconz see it differently. I don’t understand we win by losing….

TEA Party/Not-GOP(E) had their chance this May. Bevin lost.

So I guess “you” can NOT VOTE, vote the Natural Law Party or the Constitution Party, if they even have a candidate in Kentucky, but the reality is come the second/third Wednesday in November in Ky. Either Grimes or McConnell will be on their way to DC.

And why anyone would want to send ANOTHER vote for Obama to DC is beyond me… you can tell yourselves whatever, but those are your choices, ANOTHER VOTE FOR OBAMA or McConnell.

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM

For your delightful reading

Schadenfreude on August 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

“…but those are your choices, ANOTHER VOTE FOR OBAMA or McConnell.”

Or, you can vote not to let the GOPe sell you losers now and forever with ‘other guy’ threats, and get better candidates later.

PersonFromPorlock on August 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Y’all need to stop the hatin’. Allison Grimes just made a speako. She meant to say “Iron Spelunker.”

texacalirose on August 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

PersonfromPorlock, I am reminded of the old engineering adage, “The BEST is the enemy of the good enough.”. So I should sit out this election or vote for Grimes, IN THE HOPE, that in 2020 a better candidate will emerge & win????

OK, try that @ home…” Doc, I’d like to opt out of the cancer treatments, I think in a few years there’ll be even better ones available.”

Are you still holding out for Princess Buttercup or Wesley the Farm boy, depending on your gender & orientation?

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The Stockholm Syndrome is strong with this one.

Midas on August 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Midas, the Cinderella my Prince is Coming Syndrome seems strong with you…. I’m sure that should Grimes win, you will spend the next 6 years calling her a “scrunt” or an “idiot” or a “Lib’rul”, & excoriate her votes & positions, BUT AT LEAST she’s not McConnell, right?

You keep hoping for your Prince/Princess to come…..

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

You keep hoping for your Prince/Princess to come…..

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

… and you keep bending over, lubing up, and voting for the one that laughs in your face as you get get reamed over and over by the ones that are supposed to be on your team… Every time you do, you simply encourage them to keep on keeping on. Keep f*cking that chicken, I’m sure it’ll work out for you someday.

Cheers.

Midas on August 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Midas… funny Bevin ran against McConnell, & lost H3ll, Midas YOU could have run again McConnell, funny I doubt you did….I love TruConz who don’t run for anything but wish that there were options or demand options or demand that CINO’s lose (McConnell is NOT a RINO-he IS a Republican, just not your sort of Republican), but never seem to produce an effective Non-CINO alternative… but then demand that the Democrat win, because that’s how Conservatism advances, by losing in November…. McConnell or Grimes, those are the options Kentucky has, according to Midas it’s better it’s Grimes, even though s/he will hate pretty much every vote Grimes casts…..

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Have the Truconz said, “Rand Paul is dead to me, now.”? Just wondered.

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Rand was dead to me when he began to argue on the false premises of the left.

This has no bearing upon how I want the race to go.

nobar on August 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Go Rand! The productive, truthful and intelligent should have no shame in mocking the useless, liars, and the willfully stupid.

LawfulGood on August 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Slow day, Jazz?

bw222 on August 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

You may have heard that people who don’t *live* in KY can’t run for as Senator in KY. Then again, given the capacity for critical thought demonstrated in your posts, it wouldn’t surprise me to find that you actually don’t get that.

The rest of our political diarrhea that followed that particular bit of idiocy isn’t any more intelligent, either, so… lube up, pal. McConnell hates you, but will be more than happy enough for you to continue to volunteer to take it up the backside from him and the rest of the GOPe for another six years, because – as per your single digit IQ – you think continuing to do more of the same will somehow effect a change of some sort.

Keep f*cking that chicken.

Midas on August 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM

SouthernGent on August 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM

So true.

bw222 on August 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Resist We Much on August 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Dims can’t resist race baiting. They also detest any minority who is not a leftist like themselves.

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

This didn’t effect my view of Paul, but my view of him has been dropping in recent months as his colors have turned-out to be the same as his dads.

Nat George on August 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Clown bait.

Pork-Chop on August 3, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Have the Truconz said, “Rand Paul is dead to me, now.”? Just wondered.

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

TruConz? Really? I knew you were getting pathetic in your comments here but this did it for me.

Generalize away the last semblance of Conservatism. Most of you “GOPe” are no different from the Donks now.

hawkdriver on August 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Boo-Hood hawk…. so are you in favor of advancing by ousting a Republican, too? To me, that’s PATHETIC. How are you Truconz any different than Lugar, BTW? “My” candidate lost, so now I want the other side to win? We excoriate Murkowski & Lugar, Ingles & Bennett, but then turn right around & do the same thing…

JFKY on August 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM