Are you ready for some REAL football, finally? Hall of Fame game edition.

posted at 6:31 pm on August 3, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

After a long, difficult drought, less than two hours after this post is published the 2014 NFL season will finally be underway. And you know what that means. Ed and I will be back with our weekly open threads filled with prescient predictions and Ed’s charmingly optimistic hopes for the Steelers, balanced out by my well reasoned explanations of why the New York Jets will win the Superbowl this year. (You are, of course, invited to venture your own misguided opinions of why your teams will pull off a miracle and stop us.)

I think this has been a particularly tedious and endless seeming off season, primarily because the World Cup swallowed up so much of the sports news and frequently had my Twitter timeline filled with a flood of people who wanted to briefly pretend that Americans were suddenly interested in soccer. Thankfully that temporary insanity has passed and we can return to normal American affairs. And we can remind everyone else that soccer is not football. What we shall see tonight is football. Soccer is an excellent after school, aerobic activity to keep your kids in good physical shape.

Tonight, the Hall of Fame game will be broadcast on NBC with the festivities kicking off at 8 PM eastern time. The Buffalo Bills face the New York Giants and it will take place at Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio. Even though their own coaches don’t seem very interested in the final score, fans of the two teams should still be interested in seeing how the veterans have fared in the off season and how well the rookies are coming together. Both coaches are anticipating only having their starting lineups in for a drive or two, and then giving the rest of the hopefuls a chance to prove their worth against somebody besides the practice squad, under the bright lights and in front of a live crowd.

Since no Hot Air NFL thread would be complete without it (and given that both teams are from my home state), I’ll provide you with a bit of prognostication. I can’t afford to have the Bills do well in the regular season, since they’re in the same division as the Jets, so tonight I’ll toss them a bone. Sammy Watkins will run up a bunch of yards in his debut, helping to lead Buffalo to an otherwise error filled victory, 24 – 13. Enjoy it while you can, Bills.

Comments

Go Pack Go!

You AFC fools are delusional thinking you’ll win The Championship Game Whose Name Cannot Be Spoken™.

Steve Eggleston on August 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Are you ready for some REAL football, finally?

Where the fellas wear pink, & everyone’s afraid to hurt somebody’s widdle feewings about his nasty sexual habits that he’s told everyone about?
No thanks.

itsnotaboutme on August 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Go Oilers!

cozmo on August 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Saw some of the induction speeches last night. Two of them stood out.

Claude Humphrey got up, and said that they had only given him 10 minutes to speak. He ended up speaking for about 30.

And many parts of his speech would send chills down the spines of our resident Leftists! Some excerpts:

First of all, I want to thank God, my lord and savior

(That’s how he started the speech)

My dad was in the home. He was not an absentee father. He was in the home. He had to work odds and end jobs to do his part, but he was there, and he gave me a lot of confidence.

Coach Merritt came to visit us, and the first thing he did was made me go outside and stand on the porch. But our house was not the very best when it rained we got out the buckets. So Coach Merritt told me to go stand on the porch as he talked to my parents and I stood there. Of course I could hear what he was saying. He was talking about how he was going to make me go to church every Sunday. How he was going to make sure that I got an education. He was going to buy me clothes. He was going to feed me well because he knew I was used to eating, so he was going to take care of me.

I stood there and I listened, and I said, hey, Coach Merritt, he got something on the ball. Just as he was finishing his presentation to my parents, he dropped down on his knees and he prayed. Man, I tell you what, that was it. It was all over. Everybody that came to visit me, Nebraska, and Illinois, and all those schools came to visit me, after the presentation my mom, the first thing that came out of my mom’s mouth was, hey, but that Coach Merritt, he’s sure a nice guy. You’re going to like Coach Merritt. He’s going to take care of you. And he did. He took care of me.

Humphreys got a standing ovation from the Republican crazies in the audience when he finished.

He was followed by Aeneas Williams, who also generously mentioned God in his speech. Williams also got a standing O when he was done.

Del Dolemonte on August 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, I’m ready.

cozmo on August 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Let’s go you Baltimore Colts
And put that ball across the line,
So, drive on you Baltimore Colts -
Go in and strike like lightning bolts,
Fight, fight, fight,
Rear up you Colts and let’s fight -
Crash through and show them your might -
For Baltimore and Maryland -
You will march on to victory.

Akzed on August 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM

The Lions are in 1st place! This is the year they win the Super Bowl.

Flange on August 3, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Steve Eggleston on August 3, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The NY Jets suck. Always have. Always will.

philw1776 on August 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Yay!!!!

I hope the NFL has learned it’s lesson and has instructed all players to be really nice to each other, hug after tackles and stop the locker room shenanigans. Above all no name calling!!!!!

////////

darwin on August 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

No, 1 currently resides in your state (soon to be Toronto) and the others resides in New Jersey along with your favorite team.

RickB on August 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM

The NY Jets suck. Always have. Always will.

philw1776 on August 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I was going to save this for opening weekend, but since you said it first and thus are in line for the AP/Jazz banhammer,….

J-E-T-S! S*CK! SU*K! SUC*!

Steve Eggleston on August 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM

As for the game on the Nothing But Communists network, I won’t be watching because it’s on NBC. Steve Eggleston on August 3, 2014 at 6:46 PM

That’ll learn em.

Akzed on August 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I’m watching the annual Cowboys Blue and White scrimmage. The Boys are going to have a potent offense and the defense will be a huge question mark. I fear my team may set a record that will stand for eternity. Four consecutive 8-8 seasons……..lol

dddave on August 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM

He was going to buy me clothes

Hmmmm.

butch on August 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Hey, Womens’ World Cup Rugby is starting. That’s real football.

If I did the Twiiter thing, I’d send you regular updates Jazz, ’cause I know you’d want that. :)

USA, USA, USA…..

MichaelGabriel on August 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Steve Eggleston on August 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Banned

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Did Johnathon Martin sign on with anyone?

butch on August 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Steve Eggleston on August 3, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Banned

Jazz Shaw on August 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I guess that explains why jetboy gets away with so much.

cozmo on August 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Four consecutive 8-8 seasons……..lol

And what? Five more years of Romo to break your heart?

I thank God we have Aaron Rogers.

lowandslow on August 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Did Johnathon Martin sign on with anyone?

butch on August 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM

The 49ers?

darwin on August 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score — we want a lot more!
Beat ‘em, Swamp ‘em,
Touchdown! — Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on ‘Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Galtian on August 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I hate preseason games. The starters rarely play even a half.

I know it’s necessary for the coaches before they have to cut the roster. They need to see all those guys in game action. But it’s not “the Giants v the Bills” in any way resembling the teams they will field on opening day.

A waste of my time. Call me when it counts.

Adjoran on August 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Cleveland native hoping Johnny Football isn’t a bust

jaywemm on August 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Go Raiders! Hoping Derek Carr is the missing link.

jeffinsjvca on August 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM

dddave on August 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM

So true. The only good thing about our now almost 2 decades of mediocrity is no one claims you’re a bandwagon fan anymore when they learn.

TDSE on August 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM

And what? Five more years of Romo to break your heart?

I thank God we have Aaron Rogers.

lowandslow on August 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I give Romo two more years (three tops) if his back holds out. Most of us believe the Cowboys will draft his replacement next year. Rogers will be getting long in the tooth too.

dddave on August 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Da Bearz!

Ditkaca on August 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Rogers will be getting long in the tooth too.

Rodgers still has five plus good years. Should be enough for a couple more Super Bowl wins. Remember what those are?

lowandslow on August 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Go Seahawks!

cat_owner on August 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Da Bearz!

Ditkaca on August 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Yup! :)

JimLennon on August 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Cleveland native hoping Johnny Football isn’t a bust

jaywemm on August 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I think Johnny is going to get hurt really bad. NFL defenses are just too quick. I still remember watching RG3 take that shot to his knee.

butch on August 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Seahawks.

Packers.

MichaelGabriel on August 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I used to get really excited around this time of the year, but that was before Roger Goodell began feminizing the sport.

ThePainfulTruth on August 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I’m betting its the Pacifists versus the Milquetoasts for the Super Bowl Participation Trophy.

viking01 on August 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

you will use the redskins name right ??

dmacleo on August 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I hate preseason games. The starters rarely play even a half.

A waste of my time. Call me when it counts.

Adjoran on August 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM

If you’re a masochist, ESPN has the Red Sox hosting the Yankees. The 2013 World Series champion Red Sox blew up the team over the past 10 days, and 4/5ths of last year’s starting rotation is now gone elsewhere.

The first starter the Sox traded was Jeff “Duck Boat” Peavy, who had absolutely sucked this year. They sent him to the SF Giants.

I was watching Peavy pitch last night. True to form, he had a perfect game going into the 7th inning, then everything blew up. Mets score 4 runs and win, 4-2.

Del Dolemonte on August 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

My Cleveland Browns will again fail to reach the Superbowl this year.

ConstantineXI on August 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Yay!!!!

////////

darwin on August 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

dmacleo on August 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

you will use the redskins name right ??

dmacleo on August 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Yay Erythro-dermises !!

viking01 on August 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I know it’s pre season and the game is always a let down….I don’t care. ITS FOOTBALL TIME!!

Big Orange on August 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Thank God we can get back to some real football. I was about to throw a brick through the next TV I saw with soccer nancy-boys doing their best drama school impressions anytime someone got close enough to them to mess up their hair.

Defenestratus on August 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Cleveland native hoping Johnny Football isn’t a bust

jaywemm on August 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

butch on August 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I hope he does well but I am worried about those dainty little chicken legs just like RG’s. That’s one reason I would have taken Luck over RG.

slickwillie2001 on August 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

May Pantherfan forever remain banned, but would that the Panthers not be cursed on his behalf.

kpguru on August 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

The NY Jets suck. Always have. Always will.

philw1776 on August 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Ragging on my Jets is like booing at the Special Olympics.

JetBoy on August 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Cleveland native hoping Johnny Football isn’t a bust

jaywemm on August 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

You mean Johnny Eightball?

From what I’ve read, he won’t be starting. It’ll take some time for the dude to adjust…I just hope he doesn’t implode.

JetBoy on August 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Skol Vikings, let’s win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down,
Then get a touchdown.
Rock ‘em . . . Sock ‘em
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You’ll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol, Vikings, let’s go!

Patriot Vet on August 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM

OK, I must interrupt the lyrics of various fight songs with the fight song to end all fight songs, the ultimate expression of the genre, the greatest one ever written and performed (and pray that I’m allowed to post a mere youtube link, I swear that it is safe for work and appropriate to the description above)

Edunai on August 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Giants have new OC, but apparently ere still using Kevin Gilbride’s Eli-gets-hit-and-fumbles-play from last season. Both teams got their first units in and out of the game alive, so I’m assuming both Coughlin and Marone are going to be happy about that (teams don’t even want to play the current four preseason games, let alone five).

jon1979 on August 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM

You mean Johnny Eightball?

JetBoy on August 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Aug. 23. Manziel’s first home game in Cleveland. Against the Rams, in Michael Sam’s first road game. The hype meter will be off the charts for when the second-team offense and defense come in — ESPN might not even show first team highlights that night.

jon1979 on August 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

lolfootball.

Cyhort on August 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Hey, a thread about my town! Thought I’d jump in for a minute since the game is up the street. I, however, spent the afternoon in Cleveland enjoying the Indians sweep the Rangers with Brantley’s walk-off home run in the 12th. Wait, this was a football thread…

caveman on August 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Surely, surely the Texans’ win count will improve. It certainly can’t go much lower.

Please, no rotten tomatoes this way–We Texan fans have suffered enough!

Cleveland, good luck with the diva. Glad he is out of state now.

jazzuscounty on August 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Jets

Just
End
The
Season

Woo!

RI_Red on August 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Ha! Whatever, losers. Go Hawks!

WitchDoctor on August 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Seahawks. They’re stronger, faster, and the reigning champions. This might be the year that the Dolphins FINALLY get kicked off their unbeaten pedestal.

HiJack on August 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Sorry….since that whole reeducation crapola, I can’t get fired up. I have labored watching these multi million dollar players chest bump and act like they just saved someones life after making one play. They get millions to play, just play. Quit your dancing and goofy crap and play football. If you want to dance go and audition for Dancing With the Stars.

crosshugger on August 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM

jon1979 on August 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

That is going to be a spotlight game. Hoping Vick doesn’t become a distraction for Gang Green as well. As far as I can tell it looks good that Geno is going to start, but who knows with Wrecks Ryan still in charge.

JetBoy on August 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

One of the guitarists I gig with is a season ticket holder. He won’t be able to go to the Bears vs. Seahawks game on the 22nd, so he asked if I’d like to go take my autistic son to go to see a real football game. So I’m going to have some actual quality bonding time with my son, doing something he’s wanted to do for years.

I feel blessed.

Go Seahawks!

Kitsapbass on August 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM

No hope here… Cowboys are, at best, 6-10.

psv on August 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Have a great time kitsapbass… Judging by your name it Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods too :)

WitchDoctor on August 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM

The only question is which team my Seahawks are going to embarrass in Super Bowl 49. I’m pulling for the Packers.

Splashman on August 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Football? What is this football you speak of?

I got my season tickets in the mail last week. First year as a season ticket holder Whoo hoo!

Green_Bay_Packers on August 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Gonna be a tough marketing chore to promote Super Bowl IL. The potential one-liners are copious.

Splashman on August 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM

This must be West Sound night on HotAir. :)

Splashman on August 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Dude, you need to seek professional help. If your Twitter timeline was filled up with it, you either need to start blocking people or find different follows. Calling it “kickball”, repeatedly calling it a children’s game … etc. Your ignorance about the sport you claim to love and its roots in soccer would be charming were it not for your bull-in-a-china-closet insistence on jamming your neurotic hatred of it down everyone else’s throat who happens to click on an open thread. I get that on this subject HA is primarily an echo-chamber for other soccer-hating folk, but the Cup was over nearly a month ago and you’re still moaning about it.

As someone who was born and raised and rises and falls with the fate of the New York Giants, it’s not easy for me to witness what’s being done to the NFL and football in general, but the writing is on the wall: the left has gotten its sticky little fingers on the game, and it’s now their social laboratory. Don’t like soccer, don’t watch it – with the exception of a few games, it was all on ESPN and ESPN2 – you’re as bad as Gore supporters still bitter about ’00.

Fun fact: the last 5 teams to win the HoF game didn’t make the Playoffs. I didn’t expect the Giants to make the Playoffs this year, but that pretty much seals it.

King B on August 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM

JetBoy on August 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

The less Rex talks, the better he coaches. Unfortunately, after the J-E-T-S overachieved in 2013, he’s a chatterbox again.

jon1979 on August 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM

I’ll be happy if the Raiders have an 8-8 season!

On a positive note, Ray Guy made the Hall of Fame! Great athlete…the man was drafted by several Baseball teams as well as playing Basketball. Probably the best, most athletic punter the NFL ever had.

Guy fell on hard times a few years ago and had to sell his three Super Bowl rings. I hope some day he is able to get them back.

BierManVA on August 4, 2014 at 6:20 AM

meh.

The NFL lost me, a life long fan, last year with their flirtations with the Obama administration, agreeing to shill for Obamacare, and the ever increasingly pc rules changes.

I have better things to do than watch the government approved circus.

captnjoe on August 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM

butch on August 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Which is one reason it’s so much fun watching Andrew Luck run right over linebackers.

tommyboy on August 4, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Let’s go you Baltimore Colts
And put that ball across the line,
So, drive on you Baltimore Colts -
Go in and strike like lightning bolts,
Fight, fight, fight,
Rear up you Colts and let’s fight -
Crash through and show them your might -
For Baltimore and Maryland -
You will march on to victory.

Akzed on August 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM

doggone shame that bmore, who was abused by irsay that fatefull night he rolled out of town in the moving vans, would then turn around and steal a team from another city. like an abused child turing into an adult abuser himself. darn shame. you’d think a city like bmore, hurt like that would have been a little more sypathetic to poor cleveland. nope. every baltimororn i have talked to all these years has no remorse. and thats why we washingtonians and redskin fans always kind of look down at baltimore. no class. dirty little 2nd class citizen backwater. go skins. bmore sucks. if we even notice them at all.

t8stlikchkn on August 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM

captnjoe on August 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM

its a game. have some fun.

t8stlikchkn on August 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Ragging on my Jets is like booing at the Special Olympics.

JetBoy on August 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM

hey my son has partiicpated in the special olympics pal. and personally i am offended you would associated him with those scumdog jets. he actually tries.

t8stlikchkn on August 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM

King B on August 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM

i have a good friend in jersey. go to some gints games. but always for the skins visiting to get the jersey yokels riled up. over the years my hatred for the giants has somewhat receded. but now…after reading this, i know again why i really hate the giants: their fans. we can both hate on the cowgirls together someday. and phiily; well, who cares.

t8stlikchkn on August 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Splashman on August 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Typical bandwagoning Seahawks fan, doesn’t even realize that two NFC teams can’t meet in the Super Bowl. How long you been watching football? Two years?

TarasBulbous on August 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
On the road to Victory!
Fly, Eagles, Fly!
Score a Touchdown, 1-2-3!

Hit ‘em low, hit ‘em high,
And watch our Eagle Fly!
Fly, Eagles, Fly!
On the road to Victory!

E-A-G-L-E-S! EAGLES!!

HornHiAceDeuce on August 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM

t8stlikchkn on August 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Gee, was just posting an old fight song. I wasn’t trying to afford you a chance to show your ass.

Washingtonians look down on Baltimoreans? That’s pretty funny, like a pot/kettle situation.

There are more Dallas Cowboys fans in DC than in any other non-Texas locale anywhere. Hence, your own neighbors look down on you, and consciously try not to be like you. Question: do you need to remove your hat to use a urinal?

Akzed on August 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Damn skippy I’m ready.

I’m tired of watching 22 vaginas run around in short-shorts, pretending they’re athletes.

NoPain on August 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM