Ben Carson authorizes new PAC, names would-be campaign manager for 2016

posted at 2:41 pm on August 1, 2014 by Allahpundit

I keep waiting for the “after due deliberation, I’ve decided I can best serve my country in other ways” statement but he keeps moving towards running, not further away.

Emerging from two-days of meetings with supporters in Palm Beach, Fla., Dr. Carson told the Times on Friday morning he has selected Houston businessman Terry Giles to be his 2016 campaign chairman should he run and approved the formation of a PAC called One Nation.

“Now is the time to start all of the appropriate exploration and investigation, and put down the structure that is necessary,” Dr. Carson said in a phone interview.

Asked about the likelihood he will run for president in 2016, Dr. Carson said: “I would say we are definitely a step or two closer than we were a year ago.”…

“Obviously we are very interested in what happens in November,” he said. “And if the people also continue to show strong desire for me to run, obviously that would be an important factor too.”

He hinted last year at one point that he was more interested in television than in running for office, which made me think if he did jump in it would be a Huckabee-an ploy to raise his name recognition to the point where Fox News might offer him his own show. But he’s already on Fox’s radar; they made him a contributor last fall. Even if Fox refused his request for a show, he could always try Glenn Beck’s network or go the Palin route and develop his own pay TV channel online. There’s an audience out there for it: Thanks to an aggressive direct mailing campaign, the “Draft Ben Carson Committee” actually outraised “Ready for Hillary” in the first quarter of this year.

So, yeah, maybe he’s talked himself into taking the plunge. But, er, why? The clearer it is that both Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are running, and it’s become pretty clear lately, the less room there is for Carson to make a splash in Iowa. What’s his niche? He’ll run as the outsider who’s going to shake up D.C., but so will Paul and Cruz — Rand is the guy who’s broken from the GOP pack on foreign policy and mandatory minimum sentences and Cruz is the guy who’s giving Republican leaders fits by demanding that they take a more conservative line on key bills. Even something like ObamaCare, which Carson could attack as a renowned surgeon, isn’t an easy winner for him. Cruz, after all, was willing to go so far as to shut down the government in the name of stopping O-Care before it launched. I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating: Carson’s better off running as an independent. Then he can bypass the primaries and the flak he’ll take from conservatives over his position on guns while setting himself up as a pox-on-both-their-houses protest candidate for disaffected independents. He won’t win, but maybe he can land a spot at the debates in October. And if he’s out there, looming as a Perot-type in the general election, Republicans will have to think carefully about nominating someone who’s too RINO-y; if they end up choosing Christie, tea partiers could defect to Carson and then we end up with President Hillary. So, on second thought, maybe this isn’t great news for establishment Republicans.

Here he is talking recently with Newsmax. Skip to 10:15 for the “are you running?” exchange. Exit question: He says the outcome of the elections in November will affect his decision whether to run. Er, why? If the GOP retakes the Senate, their time in the majority is likely to be short. And if the GOP doesn’t retake the Senate, all the more reason to elect a Republican president in 2016. You’ll want that veto pen in the White House in case something weird happens and Democrats win back the House.

Comments

Good man – awesome role model – great background.

While I think the odds are small – I welcome his voice – he is a great American.

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM

OK as long as he never hires Karl Rove.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Probably because he doesn’t want to be forced to shill for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and congressional Republicans (see: Boehner) if the GOP takes the Senate. And I wouldn’t blame him if that’s what he feels.

Aizen on August 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM

OK as long as he never hires Karl Rove.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Post of the day – so far.

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I doubt he’ll make the long haul…

But it’s early.

workingclass artist on August 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

AP, is that all you can do is question dr. carson’s rationale for entering the presidential race? and why are you so insistent that he should run as an independent?

dbilly76 on August 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Ben Carson would be the REAL first black president!

portlandon on August 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I doubt he’ll make the long haul…

But it’s early.

workingclass artist on August 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I agree – but then I think to myself – this is a brilliant man who reads everything – he may be the quickest study we have seen in many many years.

Who knows?

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Obama is on TV spreading his BS.

birdwatcher on August 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Carson > Romney
Carson > Christie
Carson > Bush

Not my first choice but better than the worst.

chuckfinlay on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

One thing I know for sure–any liberal who votes for his opponent will not do so because of long held values that differ from his but simply becasue they don’t want a black man in the white house.

Kataklysmic on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Obama is giving Boehner, et al, more unanswered taunts. He is threatening to make moves during the recess. POS.

Fallon on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Er, why is this so difficult to understand, especially since he says why in the video? If the American voting population is so far gone that it does not give the GOP the majority in the Senate in November than it is too far gone for anyone, including Dr. Carson, to do anything.

And, no, we cannot assume they will lose the majority in 2016. There is a whole flock of “Black Swans” flying around right now and 2016 for the Democrats may wind up being a lot like 1932 was for the GOP.

The700Level on August 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Hey, if Obama can do things without Congress with his pen and phone. Can the American people also bypass Congress with their pens and phones and impeach him?

Fallon on August 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Maybe he isn’t the best candidate, but may his voice be heard & heard often.

22044 on August 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Meh.

If Carson hadn’t mouthed off in front of His Highness, no one would know who he is.

Maybe he’d make a great president (or maybe not), but I’m betting he won’t make a great candidate. Even veterans make gaffes and stupid mistakes, nevermind a first-timer.

DRayRaven on August 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Fallon on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I say go for it Barry…

sandee on August 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I doubt he’ll make the long haul…

But it’s early.

workingclass artist on August 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Who knows?

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Lots of admirable qualities in his bio…

Yet…

Dr. Carson has some ideas as to the allocation of guns that I don’t subscribe to….Perhaps those comments were Speak-O’s

In this country anybody who is eligible can run for office…so if he wants to try he can.

I just doubt very much he really understands what that entails, most don’t till they are in the arena…so as with another potential candidate I’ll wait and see what develops.

workingclass artist on August 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM

i don’t think he should run. great person, but i’m not excited about the idea of him running. i feel like he’s not ready to handle the difficulties of running for president. talking about it is one thing, but how would things play out if he actually did it? i’m not so sure.

but maybe he could be in an important position within the next (republican) president’s cabinet.

Sachiko on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

OT: this was the Palestinians today:

When Al Qassam announced it had captured an Israeli soldier on July 20, posting his ID tag, the streets in Gaza City erupted in celebratory gunfire and shouts of “Allahu akbar!”

Reminds me of what the Palestinians were doing hours after 9/11/2001.

Not necessarily shooting into the air, but dancing in the streets. Amazing, here they are bombed night and day, and they take to such offensive celebrations that could help spur greater bombing. They don’t follow normal rational ways of thinking, see the book: The Closing of the Muslim Mind: How Intellectual Suicide Created the Modern Islamist Crisis (read just the Amazon reviews to quickly to learn a lot about what we face).

anotherJoe on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I really like him, and I hate to sound”racist” but I think obama has poisoned the well for African Americans… At least for awhile…

sandee on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

If the GOP retakes the Senate, their time in the majority is likely to be short

C’mon, AP. This assumes the electorate as it is today. We still have two more years of Obama going off the rails. 2016 is no sure thing for the Dems in the Senate.

chuckfinlay on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

This will be just like the Herman Cain fiasco

Xanatos90 on August 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I like that he makes leftists’ heads explode.

He’ll always be the best HHS sec. possible.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM

workingclass artist on August 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM

You make good points – no doubt

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM

He’ll also always will be the man who embarrassed the Oaf, who’s Chief, in front of the cameras, with said oaf sitting right next to him.

That right there took a big set…even if the oaf is a total eunuch.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM

He’ll also always will be

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Fine with him throwing his hat in the ring. Probably won’t vote for him because of his 2A position unless he’s the nominee.

In any case, I just don’t think that POTUS should be your first election. He’s certainly qualified for the job if this current dumbass is, but presidential politics is such a minefield for Republicans that the risk is just too great for someone’s first rodeo.

It took a surreptitiously recorded video of Romney to damage him, and the fact that Carson went on TV and used the example of bestiality to illustrate the absurdity of gay marriage (a sentiment that I agree with but some things are left unsaid publicly) tells me he’s not polished enough to beat the media in the gotcha game.

crrr6 on August 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Ben Carson would be the REAL first black president!

portlandon on August 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

You must not like Bill Clinton :)

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I hope some combo of Paul, Cruz a, Carson can do serious with the nomination. We must defeat those RINOs who stand mute to every insults every vilification of the non-Left world view.

I’m not optimistic about the future we face…one party state, like PRI in Mexico and many many others.

r keller on August 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM

He would expose all the truly bigoted rats in the land.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Does it really matter? So we elect a Republican president than what? Is that really going to bring our country back from the brink of death? Yes it’s a life line but unless it continues its nothing more than a speed bump to the ultimate destruction by the left. Its not just White house we need to get back we need our schools, the media and the press. The left needs to be driven out of existence like bad habit. Id like progressivism to be nothing more than a foot note in history.

phatfawzi on August 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Hmmm. I like him, but as chief executive? Dunno, perhaps we’ll learn more as we roll along.

Midas on August 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I like that he makes leftists’ heads explode.

He’ll always be the best HHS sec. possible.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Can’t we elect a president to do away with HHS and a ton of other federal bureaucracies? It is sad I see this more and more…. hypothetically plugging in conservatives into the very apparatus that should be destroyed.

chuckfinlay on August 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Bad news for conservatives. One more guy splitting the vote. Cons need to run Cruz and Paul, and leave everyone else at home.

cimbri on August 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Turn On Savage Show

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I like Carson. But how is he qualified to be President? How many states or cities has he run? How does being a doctor give one the experience and expertise necessary to run a country during times of great distress? Again, I really like Carson. I just don’t see how he can consider running for President.

Jack_Burton on August 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

sandee on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

So here we go again. Just as when Mitt Romney was running and it disheartened me to hear conservatives say, “I don’t know if I can vote for him. He’s a Mormon, you know.” Now we’re going to hear the same thing about Carson: “He’s black, you know, and I don’t think I can vote for a black.”

There are bigots on the left and right, no doubt about it.

Black, white, green or purple, it’s character and wisdom that count for me. That’s why I like Ben Carson and would support him if he ran.

Burke on August 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Great another RINO jumps in.

bgibbs1000 on August 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Dr Carson is a gifted accomplished man & a national asset who is nonetheless imo absolutely unqualified to be President.

He might make an excellent reform-or-perish HHS Secretary in a GOP admin, but not President without ever having faced the voters at any level and no real record of high-level executive management, performance & achievement.

This is a thoughtless pop culture choice, not a serious one in my view. I think Doc Carson is fine where he is: a respected and useful two-star general who knows every inch of his division, but would be fatally over-matched and a dis-service to the cause if you gave him a corps or army. History is littered with such people.

Sacramento on August 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM

No, No, NO.

We don’t need another amateur running and drawing votes away from the very good list of professional conservative politicians. All Carson will do is make it easier for Bush or Christie to win the nomination.

Of course, there were a lot of idiots on this site that fell in love with Herman Cain so I expect that this is what is going to happen in 2016.

Bill C on August 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM

phatfawzi on August 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I think it might. Obama will have left a ready-made, free stimulus for an incoming GOP president in the form of his regulatory state. Replace him with even a garden variety Republican, and I think you will see some serious growth just by removing the administrative gag off of the economy.

crrr6 on August 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Punk is on TV.

I want obama to “act alone”.

Let’s see how the poor of the land will pitchfork his kind, politically.

The Pimp/Punk of the land wants to be in the news on Sunday.

The Land and the World are on fire, and the scum will go to Martha’s Vineyard. Wouldn’t you also go on TV on Friday?

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM

chuckfinlay on August 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM

All true too – when I’m president 2/3rds of the agencies will go.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Like most newcomers to the political realm, he is unpolished and clumsy at times. In other words, normal.

This of course will get him a lot of criticism by the left, and the Republicans who will join in the chorus that don’t like him because he isn’t establishment. Sorta like they did to Sarah Palin.

The difference though? He is such a likeable character. Isn’t he? His voice is even and smooth. The perfect pitch. He talks and behaves like a doctor. Calm. Confident. I think he would have lot’s of appeal to women voters who are scared of Republicans normally and to black voters who don’t like white Republicans.

But what of his positions? Be prepared for the political Republican Establishment to start demonizing him early, like they did with Allen Keyes.

I’m sure of one thing about him. I won’t agree with him 100% of the time. But if he hits the main points, I’ll support him 100%.

Baggi on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Carson > Romney
Carson > Christie
Carson > Bush

Not my first choice but better than the worst.

chuckfinlay on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Nah, you can vote for him. I personally love America…
Is it moral for us, for example, to take advantage of cheap labor from illegal immigrants while denying them citizenship? I’m sure you can tell from the way I phrased the question that I believe we have taken the moral low road on this issue. Some segments of our economy would virtually collapse without these undocumented workers–we all know that–yet we continue to harass and deport many individuals who are simply seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Is there a way to apply logic to this issue and arrive at an intelligent solution?

All we have to do is look to our northern neighbor, Canada. They have a guest worker program, which allows people to enter the country as officially recognized guest workers who pay taxes, receive benefits, and are able to come and go as they please without infringing on anyone else’s rights.

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Bill C on August 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Yup, calling people with whom you disagree idiots ALWAYS helps the debate.

flipflop on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Personally he would not be my choice for the Presidency, but I would vote for him over any Marxist Democrat. As much as I hate to say it, I believe many people are backing him because he is black…we must get away from the identity politics that are ruining this country.

rjh on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

This will be just like the Herman Cain fiasco

Xanatos90 on August 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Herman Cain wasn’t a brain surgeon for children, with a book and movie made about his life with Cuba Gooding Jr playing the starring role.

Herman Cain had some interesting ideas, but was never able to put down his competition by saying, “This isn’t brain surgery!”

dominigan on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

This will be just like the Herman Cain fiasco

Xanatos90 on August 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Why like Herman Cain?
Carson is a Doctor. Bit of a rock star one once.
Ron Paul’s a doctor. Maybe you meant to make that comparison?

verbaluce on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

He’s a great guy, but I don’t think he’d get much further than Herman Cain did.

He’d be perfect as HHS secretary though.

cat_owner on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

All true too – when I’m president 2/3rds of the agencies will go.

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Sounds good.

chuckfinlay on August 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I would support Dr. Carson 100% over any other potential Republican candidate.

ObamatheMessiah on August 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

No, NO and NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I like Dr. Carson. He’s obviously very smart, but he has even less qualifications for POTUS than Obama did (if that’s possible).

He has absolutely no experience how to get things done in the political arena. I know some people think that’s a good thing, but it’s not. We already have one of that ilk in office now, and it isn’t working.

The last time we had “a really smart guy” as president was Jimmy Carter, a nuclear engineer in the U.S. Navy. How did that work out?

Carson is a great speaker and thinker, as a presidential candidate, or worse yet, a president, he’d likely be a stinker.

I feel the same way about Cruz and Paul. As short term senators, neither one is qualified to become president.

ZeusGoose on August 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

He stabbed a guy and his position on guns isn’t conservative for a start. I hope it doesn’t come down to him.

V7_Sport on August 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

He’s a great guy, but I don’t think he’d get much further than Herman Cain did.

He’d be perfect as HHS secretary though.

cat_owner on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Man, the amount of Herman Cain comparisons.
Come on.

verbaluce on August 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

wonder if gloria alred and certain people from fox (who lived in same buildings as the”victims”) have women lined up to say he harassed them, would be interesting to see if they have some who were harassed at a period when he wasn’t even there just like cain.
better hope he didn’t personally help some of them.
I shudder to think of the damage personal charity would do to him.

dmacleo on August 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

He’s a great guy, but I don’t think he’d get much further than Herman Cain did.

He’d be perfect as HHS secretary though.

cat_owner on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I think people forget Herman Cain was in the lead and frontrunner in the primaries, before the Establishment/Media went on an intense assault against him and he was forced out because of his dalliances with some women he worked with. If not for that scandal, I wonder how far Cain could have gone with 999. In any case, if Carson stands as good a chance as Cain did, then he would be foolish not to run, because he has obstensibly a better moral background. As he has said on numerous occasions, “there are no skeltons in my closet.”

I say, underestimate Carson at your peril. Cruz’s likability is in the tank outside of conservatives, Rand Paul will have to battle the whole notion that he’s a flake on foreign policy and then the whole racist deal surrounding his expounding on the Civil Rights act.

What conservative really stands a strong shot in 2016 post Obama? Carson is solid, likeable, reasonable, and can appeal and speak to voters who don’t even give the GOP a hearing. If Carson just pulls 15% of the black vote, it’s a landslide victory for the GOP in 2016. Too bad, the GOP is too stupid to recognize a silver bullet when they have one.

milemarker2020 on August 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM

He’s probably the most principled conservative candidate we have with courage second only to Scott Walker. I don’t know a single squishy neurosurgeon. As for the gun thing, listen, if all you knew of guns was pulling bullets out of kid’s brains in Baltimore, you’d be a little gun-shy. He’s on a listening/book tour in the South, I’m sure he’ll meet some responsible gun owners and start to evolve before you know it.

xuyee on August 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Kataklysmic on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Thread winner!

sauropod on August 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Baggi on August 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

What a moronic diatribe.

Who says all the low info voters are on the left?

All you missed was “He’s clean and articulate and doesn’t affect a Negro accent, unless he chooses…”

I think a lot of fools, both Democrats and brain-dead Republicans, voted for Obama based on his likeability, his even and smooth voice, ad nauseum.

We’re not voting for Prom King, or debate club president here.

It’s people like you, either left or right, that fall in love with nice sounding people that keep dragging this country further down in the pit.

ZeusGoose on August 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

In case you missed the Lord of the Land flies

obama has saved us!

Paraphrased:

He has added 1.2 million jobs so far this year..
Best numbers since the wonderful days of the late 1990s, he said.

He didn’t mention that 78% of them are servants, illegal alien invaders, and 18% of them are for lawyers for illegal alien invaders.

And the rest being part time private sector jobs.

And also he saved the world by working with Russia to make Iran and Ukraine into Free States or something.

And if Putin does what 0bama wants, he will help Russia grow its economy too.

Punk ranted about the republicans in congress.

Said he will do what he wants, since they won’t act, but they are stupid to complain that he does what he wants, because it is their fault for not doing what he wants.

He is the only one with common sense. Everyone else just plays political games to get the TEA party radicals to like them.

He also said that 80% of Americans (peasants) agree with his plan to secure the border and take care of the broken immigration system… and 80% of the Republicans in the House and Senate agree too.

But that damn 20% TEA Party racist xenophobe pool won’t let the good ones do what needs to be done.

The Eunuch in Chief then biatched about not being asked about his birthday (God, why wasn’t his mom more of a leftist?) and his Martha’s Vineyard vacation…and then he showed the land and the world a big finger and departed.

You’re welcome!

Schadenfreude on August 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM

He’s a great guy, but I don’t think he’d get much further than Herman Cain did.

He’d be perfect as HHS secretary though.

cat_owner on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

As long as the Huntsman camp doesn’t pull the same trick twice, the comparisons to Herman Cain are invalid.

Never forget that his camp blackmailed Mitch Daniels, and then leaked Cain’s background.

nobar on August 1, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Good man – awesome role model – great background.

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Hear, hear! I second the motion! Now, I wonder who his VP running mate will be? He/she could be the needed added ingredient.

Cherokee on August 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Jack_Burton on August 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

The current occupier of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. proves it takes absolutely no qualifications to be preznit.

rottenrobbie on August 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I actually far prefer Cain. He was the real deal. Carson – there’s something about him I don’t trust.

cimbri on August 1, 2014 at 4:00 PM

In opposition to Paul or Cruz, his best line of argument would be that the Congress is as important as the Executive branch, and so the country would be best served by the Republicans keeping genuinely conservative and effective legislators in place.

PersonFromPorlock on August 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I am sure that his running would cause the progressive left to spend a lot of money, time and ink trying to dig up dirt on him and smear him the way they did Palin. He does not deserve to be treated that way but I fear that is what would happen whenever one the groups the progressive left feels is theirs leaves the reservation.

KW64 on August 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Kataklysmic on August 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

A+

I’d love to see Dr. Carson run, if for nothing else just to see the heads exploding on the Left.

Del Dolemonte on August 1, 2014 at 4:10 PM

dominigan on August 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

No, this isn’t brain surgery.

A brain surgeon has to be focused on details all the time. He learned to focus on the details of saving a patient based on brain issues. In theory, he could be so focused on that problem that he’d miss the bigger picture that the patient was also suffering from terminal cancer, diabetes, etc.

By the same token, brain surgery isn’t politics.

Who would have thought that B movie star like Ronald Reagan could have become a two-term governor of California and probably the best president in modern history?

You cannot tie book learning like Dr. Carson’s to potential great political prowess to Reagan’s ability to read the average person’s desires.

That was the hubris of our current Idiot-in-Chief, and I don’t want to see it repeated.

Even the fact that Carson is contemplating a run for the presidency should be sending up warning signs about this guy’s inherent narcissism.

ZeusGoose on August 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM

ZeusGoose on August 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Read about his consultations and preparations for the first separation of cranial conjoined twins. He led a team of 50 surgeons involved in the 22 hour surgery. He’s a big picture guy. He was a division head at John Hopkins and besides teaching and surgery, his principle job was supervising other surgeons. That’s a job that required decision making and diplomacy. Not being a professional politician is no drawback in my book. I like him. He’s intelligent and communicates well without talking down, patronizing or adopting a false folksy persona. Every president has access to the “best minds”, the most informed experts. What’s needed is someone who can make decisions and implement his ideas. And who isn’t afraid to put in some actual work.

polly2150 on August 1, 2014 at 5:06 PM

ZeusGoose on August 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Any two people can look at the same situation and interpret it differently. To me, it shows that he cares about the country and wants to try to help.

Yet Obama ran and, despite his lack of experience and his ineptness, was extremely successful in accomplishing what he set out to do: radically transforming the country. We now have universal health care, more left-wing judges in the federal system (including the US Supreme Court) than anyone might have dared imagine, and Big Government has grown so huge that it will take a very long time to undo the damage, if that can even be done.

Yes, I would personally love another Reagan to come along, a good pol as well as someone smart and wise enough to articulate conservative thinking. That’s probably not going to happen, though. So now I’ll settle for someone who understands the value of free enterprise, American strength and conservative morals. I’ve heard Dr. Carson talk about all these things and no one but Palin in my mind articulates and champions these ideas so clearly.

Jimmy’s problem was that he was smart without being wise. He is and always has been a mean, petty, bitter, very foolish and partisan political ideologue. I doubt Dr. Carson will decide the country needs more gas rationing as Jimmy did.

Burke on August 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Cherokee on August 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Could you imagine Carson/Rice 2016? It would historic and unbelievable. They would wipe the floor with Hillary and Bill. I would so want to see what the black community would do in that scenario. I really would love to see it.

milemarker2020 on August 1, 2014 at 5:50 PM

dbilly76 on August 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Carson has made it clear, himself, that he’s a registered independent, and doesn’t consider himself a Republican.

What if he does turn out to be a Perot-style “spoiler.” Will you be on his bandwagon then?

JannyMae on August 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Man, the amount of Herman Cain comparisons.
Come on.

verbaluce on August 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

That’s because there are many comparisons between the two. Both are men of faith, who are not really politicians. Both are successful in their fields of study, Carson as a doctor, and Cain as a businessman. Both are good at talking about conservative values. Both have a desire to do something about the fiscal problems that this country faces, at the federal level. I could go on….

Why would you imply that the comparisons are only based on race? You wouldn’t be a bigot, by any chance, would you?

JannyMae on August 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM

If he’s elected do we call him Dr. President?

No thank you. Absolutely no qualifications whatsoever. If the candidate is not a successful governor, I won’t even look at him.

Joseph K on August 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM

milemarker2020 on August 1, 2014 at 5:50 PM

They would simply call them house slaves and crush them. I don’t know why so many of you think the conservative minority candidate will befuddle the Democrats.

cimbri on August 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM

He’s a good man with even less experience in actual governing than Barack Obama.

He could be a great point man on policy and be influential, but he isn’t a good candidate.

novaculus on August 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

You wouldn’t be a bigot, by any chance, would you?

JannyMae on August 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Verbie’s a big a bigot as any.

CW on August 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Schad/Bishop 2016

davidk on August 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Dr. Carson’s lack of executive experience is not necessarily a drawback. Some of the greatest leaders in history (not just US presidents, but even monarchs of other nations) came to their offices untrained. Character is the x-factor. Primaries are for us to see what the candidates are all about, and I’m willing to see what Dr. Carson offers if he ultimately decides to run. And note: There are no perfect candidates.

Obama’s problems have nothing to do with his lack of executive experience. He’s ideologically stubborn, childish, petty, and thinks he’s above negotiating with Congress.

The Bringer on August 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I love everything that Cruz and Paul stand for… but they are both 100% Politicians to the core. As much as I love them, they both have the stench of having served as U.S. Senators. Not that it will stop them from winning, but they both have that draw back.

Carson, on the other hand, is entirely authentic. No one will question his belief in the things he says. While everyone else in the field will be a “politician” who appears to make calculated decisions, Carson can be the guy who says what he believes, and means what he says. He can also be the candidate who strikes a cord with religious voters. This is a Neurosurgeon – a man of Science – who has an incredibly deep and sincere belief in God. In our continually secularized society I believe that he could bring a powerful message to the primary because of his unique position as a man of science, and a literal saver of peoples lives, who goes home at the end of the day and gives all the credit for his accomplishments to God.

As I said before, I love what Paul and Cruz stand for – but I can find a number negative attributes in both that could be used to make them look bad on the campaign trail. Carson on the other hand only has inexperience as a negative – but are we really going to call a guy who fixes human brains for a living inexperienced when standing on stage next to a bunch of D.C. politicians?

I have no idea if Carson will win. Probably not. But I would not be shocked at all if he does attract a large following. I should add: he’d crush any Democrat in the general election. Entirely because of the “not a politician” vibe (and his incredible backstory).

I think America would put a non politician in the White House in a heartbeat right now if given the chance. Had he not killed his chances with all his mistakes with his affair, David Petraeus would be the odds on favorite for 2016 right now.

eski502 on August 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM

This will be just like the Herman Cain fiasco

Xanatos90 on August 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM

The most racist thing I’ve seen posted on this website in awhile. Equating him to Cain the adulterer? On what grounds? The only comparison is their skin color. The intelligence gap between Herman Cain and Dr. Benjamin Carson is wider than the pacific ocean.

eski502 on August 2, 2014 at 1:25 AM

The Bringer on August 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Yup. Lincoln had less experience in the legislature than even Obama. And he had never led anything of significance in his life.

Washington was a soldier his whole life, outside of his experience as a convention delegate. While he led armies, leading a government was a wholly different thing.

Even beyond America. Michael Collins was a kid in his mid 20′s when he became the preeminent leader of Ireland.

eski502 on August 2, 2014 at 1:29 AM

RUN, BEN, RUN! The most intelligent voice out there. We could do a lot worse America. This guy is common sense incarnate.

Boats48 on August 2, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Who knows?

jake-the-goose on August 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

After six-plus years of being told how “smart” BHO is – which I don’t believe for a second (he IS a brilliant TOTUS reader, though), with Dr. Carson there is absolutely no doubt as to the man’s intelligence. Plus he has demonstrated a life of spiritual and patriotic devotion. Sure, there might be a few issues here and there you might not agree with, but do you really expect a perfect candidate? I would feel confident putting my trust in him.

sandee on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

IF this is true, Dr. Carson would be the antidote to that poison, right?

ncinca on August 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Burke on August 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Yes. Having a “high IQ” (Jimmy Carter) doesn’t necessarily mean that one is using one’s brain.

wutzupdak on August 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

sandee on August 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

That is racist. Extremely.

Did George Bush “poison the well” for White People in public office? Grow up.

eski502 on August 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM