Video: Baffling gun-control ad from Mike Bloomberg’s group draws inevitable response

posted at 8:01 pm on July 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via The Blaze, I’m torn between applauding the rebuttal ad (from Liberty Pennsylvania) and thinking it’s totally unnecessary. Apart from the most devout gun-grabbers, everyone watching the first clip below is already imagining the scenario in the second, right? Good lord, even the reliably liberal women of “The View” couldn’t help letting their thoughts drift to the obvious counter-scenario. That’s why I say the Bloomberg ad is baffling — of all the ways you could dramatize why guns should be controlled more closely, a confrontation between a defenseless woman and a larger, enraged man is one of the dumbest. For good measure, as others have noted, Bloomy’s group inexplicably imagines the woman on the phone with 911 before crazy guy bursts in, as if to emphasize that the cops can’t always help even when they know you’re in danger. Nor is there any attempt to suggest that the guy got his gun illegally or through means that would have been foreclosed by a more robust background-check system. Unless they’re pushing total confiscation, there’s no point here except that “guns can be used by bad people for bad ends.” True. And by good people for good ends, per the rebuttal ad. What now?

If Bloomberg wants to scare people into supporting gun control with scary but pointless non-arguments, why not a spree-shooter scenario instead? Or is that ad on the way?

Comments

Bloomberg=idiot leftist

bernzright777 on July 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I hate to say it but we are fighting for the left side of the IQ bell curve. Rational arguments don’t work on that side. EMOTION. Show women saving themselves and their children. Put real life out on ads. Be emotional. Otherwise the cunning will win the stupid and our country is gone.

jukin3 on July 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Her iron dome was cheaper, but very effective.

RBMN on July 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

As for the view broads making sense, it proves global warming is a farce because surely hell is freezing over.

bernzright777 on July 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Agreed, except that now I’m thinking I want to get a shotgun, too. Maybe a youth-size one is a good bet for a petite woman?

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Comments and likes are disabled on the original Bloomberg version of this video (Imagine that!), so as a last resort, create a public playlist named “Fascism” and add his video to it.

Glenn Jericho on July 31, 2014 at 8:10 PM

FUMBB

Love.

I’m Fumbbing my nose at control authority right now.

StubbleSpark on July 31, 2014 at 8:10 PM

On top of that, the woman has already taken out a restraining order against him. So, somehow, a guy, who is disobeying a court order, is going to abide by a law that prevents him from obtaining a gun by making him undergo a background check??? Yeah, right. There’s a reason that 93% of ALL gun crimes are committed with weapons that have either been purchased on the street or stolen by the perps.

Resist We Much on July 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM

The reason my ex never broke in on me? He knows I am armed.

And we used to go shooting together, and he knows the score I got when I took my concealed carry class. ;)

ladyingray on July 31, 2014 at 8:14 PM

In Bloomberg’s defense, good arguments for confiscating guns are awfully hard to come by. So they work with what they’ve got.

Fenris on July 31, 2014 at 8:17 PM

For most people, the only way to stop a BAD GUY (or GAL) armed with a gun, is a GOOD GUY (or GAL) with a gun.

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

ladyingray on July 31, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Note to self :don’t piss-off ladyingray.

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I think you’ve already answered your “what now” question.

Lolo on July 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Remington 870 youth model, 20 gauge. Perfect for the ladies, reliable gun. Get some practice with it.

iurockhead on July 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

She should have shot him. He’ll be baaack.

arnold ziffel on July 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

The reason my ex never broke in on me? He knows I am armed.

ladyingray on July 31, 2014 at 8:14 PM

lol, Maybe he just figured that you could be somebody else’s problem.

arnold ziffel on July 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Note to self : … don’t piss-off ladyingray.

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Why? I piss her off regularly.

Judge_Dredd on July 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

The Everyday ad was pretty clearcut on its own – women should be armed – especially if they have a violent ex.

We just had a lady robbed in her own house last night – jumped by 2 guys when she took the trash out and forced back in the house where the scum proceeded to rob her.

Women, and all other law-abiding potential crime victims should be armed.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

because mockery and derision is the final refuge of those who are insecure in the merits of their arguments. POSTED AT 10:01 AM ON JULY 31, 2014 BY NOAH ROTHMAN

Flange on July 31, 2014 at 8:27 PM

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You’re a wise man…

ladyingray on July 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM

. . . . . now I’m thinking I want to get a shotgun, too. Maybe a youth-size one is a good bet for a petite woman?

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM

It’ll do the job … just don’t take VP Uncle Joe’s advice on how to use it.

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM

The rebuttal remake ad is pretty funny though.

There’s also sort of a redo of the ad timeline on bearing arms where they show the difference if she is armed – not as funny as this one though.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You’re a wise man…

ladyingray on July 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM

What about him ?

Why? I piss her off regularly.

Judge_Dredd on July 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM

iurockhead on July 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Yup – something like that would be good for a small woman who may not think she can handle a 12 gauge – load it with something in the range of 00 buck.

My wife is afriad to even try my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. However, she loves her Colt AR-15, so she might even consider a 20 gauge.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Have any woman watch both videos and then ask her which situation she would prefer to be in.

Can’t lose.

HotAirian on July 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Anyone else see the way she’s holding the gun in the second video? Her trigger hand is not even holding the gun. It’s just kind of resting in the trigger guard. She pulls that trigger and that gun goes flying. You’d think they would do a better job of instructing the actress.

longshanks on July 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The old saying “when seconds count..the cops are only 15 minutes away” is all the rebuttal that is needed.

HumpBot Salvation on July 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

She shoulda just pumped a few slugs through the door if she heard something suspicious on the porch, per the imbecile VPOTUS.

Akzed on July 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Put real life out on ads. Be emotional.

jukin3 on July 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

You mean like this?

Oldnuke on July 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Bloomer’s ad basically screams for women to take up guns. Great job even if they somehow thought it would elicit a different reaction.

Southernblogger on July 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

iurockhead on July 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Thanks! I don’t want to buy another gun unless I can also have the enjoyment of taking it to the range and working with it regularly. Pistols are great, but a shotgun is much better for home defense. I’ve been afraid that a regular shotgun would aggravate my arthritic neck and kill my shoulder.

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I am not. I just received my Pennsylvania carry permit today. Licensed in 37 states. Keep calm and carry on. It is our rights as Americans.

dentalque on July 31, 2014 at 8:59 PM

who laughed when she cocked it and he screamed?
THIS GUY !!
HA

dmacleo on July 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

it was hard for me to tell, was that one of those non-lehtal skeet guns?
tsk tsk

dmacleo on July 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I have bone anchors holding my shooting shoulder socket to bone and I REALLY need to put a good pad on my 1200.

dmacleo on July 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM

iurockhead on July 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Buckshot loads tend to be both hard-kicking and over-rated in “stopping power”. At inside-the-house ranges, you’re probably better off with a slug load. Believe it or not, they don’t kick quite as much, and a .58 caliber, hollow-based lead slug traveling at about 1,200 feet per second was the most effective man-stopper of the American Civil War, statistically speaking. (Back then it was called a “minie’ ball” and came out of a rifle musket.)

Also don’t overlook a No. 6 or No. 7 birdshot round, or even skeet or trap loads. They have light recoil, and as for damage, the shot column tends to hit in a single mass at ranges under five yards, only “blowing” once inside the body. The result is rather like the impact of a very large Glaser Safety Slug as used in handguns.

If you do use buckshot, instead of 00 you might want to use No. 1 or even No. 4. A 12-gauge 2 1/2″ 00 buckshot load had nine pellets. A 20-gauge 00 load only has six. The slightly smaller No. 1 or No. 4 allows more pellets in the 20-gauge shell. They also don’t kick quite as hard as most 00 buckshot loads.

cheers

eon

eon on July 31, 2014 at 9:21 PM

The reason my ex never broke in on me? He knows I am armed.

ladyingray on July 31, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Note to self : … don’t piss-off ladyingray.

listens2glenn on July 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I know who I’d want beside me in the movie theatre/shopping mall/schoolyard or any other “gun-free zone” should an armed assailant make an entrance.

Alien on July 31, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Unless they’re pushing total confiscation,

Bingo! That will come later, after all their “reasonable” restrictions are inacted.

GarandFan on July 31, 2014 at 9:39 PM

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Get a Remington 870 youth model. It is what I use for home defense, and I am very much a man. Its benefits are a shorter barrel and stock for better maneuverability in tight spaces such as a house. It does not much matter what kind of shells you use in close quarters. Slugs kick the most. Buck shot kicks quite a bit. Bird shot kicks the least. All are lethal at distances commonly found around the home. The magic cone of death of a shotgun is very much a myth, so you have to hit your target no matter which kind of shell you choose.

[Just don't use skeet shells, because I have it on good authority they are designed to not be lethal.]

stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM

[Just kidding. Skeet loads are actually quite lethal and are a good choice--being slightly heavier than light bird shot.]

stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I really get a kick out of the anti American constitutionalists that hate the 2nd amendment and want guns band. Obviously going by their rants they would have felt a lot better if this guy beat her to death with his fist or with a base ball bat. I guess that shows how enlightened the left is.

pwb on July 31, 2014 at 9:50 PM

What gets me is the tag line: “Stop gun violence against women”

Is gun violence against men okay then?

It’s like the Violence Against Women Act that they’re pushing. Why is violence against women so much more heinous than violence against anyone else?

Mitoch55 on July 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM

obladioblada on July 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM
eon on July 31, 2014 at 9:21 PM
stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM

All good points.
Although slugs don’t give you a spread like other shot will, not that it spreads much in the short distances inside a house, but you’re back to needing a little better aim in a stressful situation.

I have my Mossberg loaded with alternating #4 and 00buck, but some shot sizes like 6 and 7 (birdshot level) are highly recommended for home defense as they will not get through drywall – therefore safe for family members who may be on the other side of the wall behind the intruder. (we no longer have kids in the house – so not a big concern for me any more)

My thought about the birdshot size in a 20 gauge was whether there would be enough stopping power.
Reality though is, if the intruder sees and/or hears you racking a pump shotgun, they don’t know what size it is, or the lethality, so you MIGHT never have to fire.
However, you want something that will do the job if you do need to fire.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM

What gets me is the tag line: “Stop gun violence against women”

Is gun violence against men okay then?

Mitoch55 on July 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Same as how it’s somehow worse if you kill a minority or gay than if you kill a white man…..
I’m really getting sick of all these special “hate crime” categories that somehow make it worse to commit a crime against them than against someone who not in a “protected” class.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Despite all this talk about shotguns, the reality is the first gun I grab when I hear something at night is my .40 cal Glock with laser pointer and a 22 round mag of hollow points.
The most important point is to have something you are comfortable with and can shoot well.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM

longshanks on July 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Pistol grip on the gun. She was doin’ fine.

iurockhead on July 31, 2014 at 10:40 PM

However, you want something that will do the job if you do need to fire.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM

There is very little difference in performance between 12 and 20 ga in home defense applications. They are both quite brutal at those distances, with both having excellent stopping power. As for the racking thing, it is not something I would risk. I would rather have a locked and loaded shotgun with the safety on, so I could quietly turn off the safety and get down to business. You never know how much time you will have in a home invasion situation, and it is often beneficial to be quick and stealthy.

stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM

No one is comfortable with a Glock. They are not made for human hands to hold. ;)

stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 10:57 PM

stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Well, I’ve never had a 20 gauge – had a .410 as a kid and have a 12 now – so I wasn’t quite sure how it compares.

Racking the gun for me is part of grabbing it and heading out the (2nd floor) bedroom door. I don’t keep my Mossberg with a shell in the chamber, but I have dogs in the bedroom at night – one sleeps on the foot of the bed, one on a pad on the floor at the foot – and they will make noise if something isn’t right. So I expect to have some warning to get out of bed and grab and rack a gun while heading out. But, as I said above, the first one I usually grab is my Glock, not the Mossberg.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 11:05 PM

stvnscott on July 31, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I quite like the full size Glock – and I’m a pretty good shot with it out to 20 yards or so. Also have a subcompact 9mm Glock I bought for CCW that is not very fun to shoot – bites the top of my thumb, base knuckle. Love shooting my S&W Model 60 (.357 Mag revolver) though – my favorite for CCW.

My son just bought a 9mm Walther PPQ that is VERY comfortable to hold – which is why he bought it. I haven’t gotten a chance to try that one out yet.

dentarthurdent on July 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Shotgun makers I give this idea out with no thought of recompense.

Add an mp3 player to the safety button. When take it off safe, it makes the racking sound so loved by Hollywood.

That way you can keep the gun locked and loaded and still get that scary racky sound!

glwhisler on July 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM

jukin3 on July 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Spot on.

kim roy on August 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Until they got to the tagline at the end of the commercial, I actually thought it was a pro-carry ad.

Funniest part is that they’ve disabled comments on YouTube. “LA LA LA NOT HEARING YOU!”

DarthBrooks on August 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Love the way that the woman in the Bloomberg ad is scared sh*tless and incapable of doing anything whereas in the second ad she’s in control and thinking fast. In fact I would say the first ad is a pretty much textbook case of how not to act in a dangerous ex situation. Also the man coming for the son I don’t believe that.

Anyway, where do I get my CC licence?

Esperanza on August 1, 2014 at 3:04 AM

Right. Are we supposed to think that the woman in the first video was totally safe until the guy pulled out the gun? Totally not getting that vibe.

As a side note, did anyone click through to Youtube and notice that the comments over there are disabled? I wonder how embarrassing it got before they had to pull the plug.

New conspiracy theory: Bloomberg is secretly on our side and is just trying to make gun control seem ridiculous.

JackOfClubs on August 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Oops. Didn’t see Darthbrooks’ mention that comments were off on the Bloomberg video. Sorry for restating the obvious.

JackOfClubs on August 1, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Democrat left wing slime bag trolls will never get it

TX-96 on August 1, 2014 at 6:15 AM

I think the anti-gun people who produced the first ad must have accidentally hired the NRA’s publicity firm to produce it form them.
As to the response ad– that was a hoot! Well done!

morganfrost on August 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Wow. Absolutely the worst ad for this. In fact, take away the man’a gun in the first ad, and does it actually change anything? He could have beaten her to death with his bare hands.

Women need guns if we’re ever in a violent confrontation just so that we stand a chance.

Esthier on August 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Ok, so like, um… is this a good time to short his companies? It seems he is really losing it.

OregonPolitician on August 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM

The obvious problem with the first video is that she did not pee on herself. That would have made him run away.

Shump on August 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM

But wait! According to the libs I’m not allowed to even WANT a gun, because I’m female. It would be so icky and unfeminine. I must rely on a man to rescue me!

RadioAngel on August 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM

If they wanted to push the “private citizens shouldn’t have guns” meme, they should have ended the skit with the man taking the child, the woman pulling out a gun to shoot him, and shooting the child by mistake.

That, after all, is there message: that guns are inappropriate for self-defense from home invasion and that you’ll just end up shooting everyone in your house except the bad guy.

Missed opportunity, Bloomy.

The Schaef on August 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Pistol grip on the gun. She was doin’ fine.

iurockhead on July 31, 2014 at 10:40 PM

OMG IT’S AN ASSAULT WEAPON!!!!

What? That’s what “pistol grip” means to liberals, right? Not “easier to handle, especially for smaller people like most women” but “evil assault weapon that we must ban”.

gekkobear on August 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Perhaps it might have been a better anti-gun ad to have the woman be a fairly buff person and the assailant some beta-type male, obviously physically out-classed who is obsessed with the buff woman and when spurned decides to take it out on her. Since he can’t compete physically, he must then resort to a weapon.

More plausible if the idea is to show how helpless the intended victim is when a firearm is involved.

Obviously, the intention was to show the danger of a big man with a gun against a not so big woman. But the man doesn’t need a gun to be dangerous.

OTOH, (on the self-defense side) there is a youtube vid (an ad I think) that has a woman, home alone, the power goes out, the phone goes out, a male with a knife trying to get into the house, then she pulls out a SMG and proceeds to blow him away with full automatic fire. :)

Russ808 on August 1, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Bloomberg is an idiot billionaire with too much time on his hand and with nothing to do.

jacobim on August 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM