Is Romney poised for a comeback?

posted at 8:41 pm on July 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’m pretty sure the answer was, is, and will remain “no,” but if it’s a day ending in “y,” I’m willing to troll you guys by revisiting the subject. Matt Lewis makes the case:

Romney would similarly have to get real. No more phoniness. No more telling us what he thinks we want to hear. He would have to be utterly authentic, and he would have to show that losing caused him to encounter pain and reflection. (The good news is that the Netflix film, Mitt, already helped show this side of Romney.)…

People like comebacks. We can identify with the guy or gal who is struggling to redeem themselves (and nobody has ever identified with Mitt Romney before).

Ironically, Romney is almost tailor made to benefit from having lost before. What might be a devastating blow to most political figures — a blight on their resume — actually transforms Romney into a more compelling candidate. Having struggled and stumbled is, for Romney, at least, a feature, not a bug. The same could be said for Hillary Clinton, who only became a compelling candidate in 2008 when she lost her frontrunner status…

[Pat] Buchanan, whose sister was a Romney advisor, believes that Romney should take a page from the Nixon handbook. Having lost to Kennedy in 1960, and then having lost the 1962 gubernatorial election in California, Nixon was assumed politically dead. But he was revived by working hard for other candidates — he worked hard for conservative Barry Goldwater in 1964, and backed liberal Republican Nelson Rockefeller’s candidacy in New York — just to name two of the many GOPers he hit the hustings for between 1962 and 1968.

Let me see if I can talk myself into this. Point one: Romney’s just seven months older than Hillary Clinton and has always seemed fit, energetic, and younger than his years. He’d be the same age as Reagan was on election day 1980. He’s not too old.

Point two: The big takeaway from the past six months of Republican primaries is that business interests are willing to spend big bucks to squash tea partiers before they can get traction. They’re tired of watching conservatives shutting down the economy and flirting with hitting the debt ceiling. They want someone sympathetic to them as nominee. There’s no one more sympathetic than Mitt.

Point three: Arguably, despite his record as a presidential loser, Romney’s still the most likable RINO on the Republican 2016. Ask yourself — if you had to choose between Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, and Mitt Romney, which one would you prefer? One guy has heavy baggage from his last name and will give away the farm on immigration; the second guy is boorish, has an anti-gun record (for which he’s lately tried to make amends), and smells of scandal. The third guy is Romney. QED.

Point four: Although it’s true that presidential losers are typically disqualified from future runs nowadays, Romney’s unusual in that he has a laundry list of told-ya-so’s he could run on a second time. The campaign commercials write themselves: First comes the clip of him saying something prescient about Russia or ObamaCare in 2012, then come the headlines from 2013-14 bearing him out, then comes the 2016 pitch (“a man of vision” or whatever). That sort of thing could, I guess, move perceptions of his candidacy from also-ran dismissal to “yeah, maybe we should have listened to this guy.”

Honestly, if he hadn’t run in 2008 and flamed out in the primaries, I think he’d be thinking seriously about it now. The main bar to another Romney run isn’t that he lost in 2012, I suspect, it’s that this would be three campaigns in eight years. A second bite at the apple doesn’t seem crazy; a third bite at the apple does, kind of. (And exhausting!) And if he did run, he’d (once again) be poorly suited to repel Democratic class-warfare attacks. Rubio, Ryan, and Mike Lee are building agendas aimed at the working class in hopes of siphoning off support from one of the Democrats’ core constituencies. A party that’s doing that doesn’t want to go into battle behind Mr. “47 Percent,” especially when Hillary will have no choice but to adopt Warren-esque populism for her own campaign, to appease progressives. How does Romney, who worked hard to undo his image as a centrist in 2008, then worked hard to undo his image as a social conservative in 2012, undo his image as a country-club Republican who sees the world in terms of “makers” and “takers”? And how does he improve with Latinos, who broke for Obama in a landslide because of his “self-deportation” comments?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m not saying it has to be Romney…it’s near time we’re going to start sizing-up potentials. We can all fight it out with each other during the primary season. But once we get a nominee…we better band together as one united party, and not whine and moan that our favorite candidate didn’t win the nominee spot.

If we don’t, we lose. It’s that simple.

JetBoy on July 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, JB, I don’t give a shit who our candidate is or how long I have to hold my nose in the voting booth, as to having another D at 1600, no more and never again. In the meantime, I’m going to do my best to make sure that no candy-ass RINO gets our nomination, and I think we’ll have a pretty good chance to prevent it this time.

But, if not, my nose is closed but the wallet isn’t.

No way, never again!!!

TXUS on July 31, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I’ve voted for Mitt many times and think he would make a great president-but-his time has passed-he says he’s not running so leave him alone

gerrym51 on July 31, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Seriously, you guys really need to start transferring comments from headlines.

Romney can run all he wants. If you pick him again, and I think HotAir might just throw in behind him again if the choice is him or a conservative, you will not even get my vote this time around. And no, Romney cannot convince me that he has grown up over the last 4 years. Rick Perry has a far greater chance of convincing me he would not pass amnesty during his time as president. I really do not see that happening. I am sure something horrible could happen to one of his family members by a Hispanic illegal alien, lets hope not, but barring something like that, I really do not see how he convinces me his mind and heart have been changed on illegal immigrants.

astonerii on July 31, 2014 at 10:04 PM

You left out the single biggest reason Romney would be a good candidate this time.

Straightening out our fiscal morass will require massive reorganization of the government, instituting new efficiencies and laying off hundreds of thousands of workers who just aren’t needed.

Only one guy on either side not only has a record of doing just that, but got rich doing it.

Plus, it would make all the nut cases’ heads explode.

Adjoran on July 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Can you tell me one thing — just ONE THING — that Crybaby Boner has done to roll back the massive clusterf**k of civil and natural liberties violation that is our modern federal government?

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Actually he has facilitated its increase. Obama gets his cash from the House with Boehner’s help. Boehner plays the Weak Sister act trying to stop that beastly Obama.

sharrukin on July 31, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Plus, it would make all the nut cases’ heads explode.

Adjoran on July 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM

It would also put the guy in charge of the national purse strings who worked on socializing medicine in Mass-uh-chewsits with Jon “Speak-o” Gruber and Ted “The Swimmer” Kennedy. Or is none of that important to you?

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:07 PM

sharrukin on July 31, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I can rattle off a laundry list of things that Pe-louse-i has done to curtail my freedoms. I’m perfectly willing to concede that there may be one substantive way in which Boner has moved to thwart Democrats, but I can’t think of any. Anyone out there? Feel free to help me think of something.

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Plus, it would make all the nut cases’ heads explode.

Adjoran on July 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM

You saw his campaign right? The inability to get a message. The inability to get the messages out. The inability to spend money wisely. The inability to execute actions. The inability to pick quality assistants. I am sorry, his daddy’s name gave him the ability to be friends and partner with smart people who knew how to run a company, not his mind and his abilities.
When you blow through hundreds of millions of dollars in a campaign and have what Romney had to show for it… well, you are not really a genius.

astonerii on July 31, 2014 at 10:10 PM

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:07 PM

QFT…

JohnGalt23 on July 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM

QFT…

JohnGalt23 on July 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM

QFT? I don’t know that acronym, John. Help me out?

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:14 PM

At least you’re honest about it.

conservative pilgrim on July 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM

QFT…

JohnGalt23 on July 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM

QFT? I don’t know that acronym, John. Help me out?

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Quoted For Truth …

[BTW, I also agree with you.]

ShainS on July 31, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Quoted For Truth …

[BTW, I also agree with you.]

ShainS on July 31, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Thank you. The fact that Romney worked gleefully with Gruber and Kennedy on Romneycare is self-evident. I don’t see how that fact can even be open to debate. That so many people are willing to overlook it because Romney skated through a fixed primary process? That’s the part I have a hard time wrapping my mind around.

gryphon202 on July 31, 2014 at 10:18 PM

NO! Severely NO!

mobydutch on July 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Strike three!

PolAgnostic on July 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM

all of your points were very valid. Just from a semi-normal man’s viewpoint, one more. Romney was slammed, his wife was as well. He was accused of contributing to letting someone’s wife die. Yet he doesn’t have the capability to say, “ok fukkers, it’s happening.” Or, maybe his surrogates?

arnold ziffel on July 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM

arnold ziffel on July 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Agree arnold.

Conservatives, and likely others in the country as well, would rally behind those who stand up to and fight back against the disgusting bullies.

That’s why Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz are feared so much and demonized by the sycophantic LSM whores as well as the corruptocrats who dominate both the Dem and GOPe parties …

ShainS on July 31, 2014 at 10:27 PM

arnold ziffel on July 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM

A very well-to-do acquaintance of mine was declaring he was going to run for the Senate from his home state and “YOU (moi) are going to run my campaign!” …

… which I politely discouraged in an encouraging way since the date for the next opportunity was some ways off.

As it got closer, rather than getting dissuaded he got more invested in the idea even when I told him how much a competitive campaign would cost him. He intended to pay for it out of his own pocket.

Next time I was out in his neck of the woods, he’s really insistent and wants to start planning and laying groundwork.

So over drinks one night, I gave him the unvarnished truth of what REALLY happens in the world of campaigns … saving the sucker punch for last, what the family goes through.

I told him, “I’ve known since you first brought this up the odds of this getting real we very unlikely. Since then, I’ve met your family in your home. The odds are now ZERO. You wouldn’t put your family through into the meat grinder – EVER.

He stared at me for a few minutes, called me some REALLY bad names and then said, “You’re right.”

I have an extremely LOW opinion of 99.99% of politicians of both parties because many of them wouldn’t think twice about sacrificing their families to their ambition.

PolAgnostic on July 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Not only no, AllahP, but hell no.

Here’s partly why:

Romney spoiled the election in 2012. He moved heaven and earth to take out his competitors in the primary, then refused to do the work to win the general election. He acted as if he were helping Obama get re-elected. Even if I thought, like his fans, that he was (1) one of the finest men ever to run for president, and (2) the right man to start shrinking the government and putting the country back on the road to financial sustainability, I would STILL not want this guy in 2016. If he runs again, is he going to pull the same stunts and help Hillary get elected???

Aitch748 on July 31, 2014 at 9:16 PM

That, along with what gryphon202 has been saying about Romney working with the architect of Obamacare puts Mr. Electable completely out of the running. Or–in a sane world, it should.

theotherone on July 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM

astonerii on July 31, 2014 at 10:10 PM

400,000 more votes – in the right states-away from hopies 65 million votes – .007%…….for Romney who killed that lady with cancer and didnt pay taxes…doesn’t seem so horrific……..does it?
Somebody had to lose…..and since it takes hundreds of millions of dollars to run for POTUS theses days, the dinero will always burn either way.

FlaMurph on July 31, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Aitch748 on July 31, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Yes indeed…… I felt Herb Cain was the real deal.

FlaMurph on July 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM

400,000 more votes – in the right states-

FlaMurph on July 31, 2014 at 10:54 PM

So Romney not making nice with the Ron Paul supporters, or the Palin supporters, and embracing Chris Christie instead may well have cost him the election?

And Romney ignoring the GOTV effort and embracing ORCA instead, probably cost him the election?

And Romney NOT lighting his hair on fire and instead praising Obama, probably cost him the election?

Romney did all three of these things.

Pure genius! /sarc

Let’s do that again.

sharrukin on July 31, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Eh A,EH AAAAAA…Slow Thursday huh?

flackcatcher on July 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Let’s face it Romney is a great guy, good father and excellent husband but he does not have killer instinct that he needs to finish the deal. He cannot bring himself to go to the depths that obama and his gang of thugs went to in vilifying him. He gets that deer in the headlight look and smiles instead of closing in and finishing his victim off. That was so evident in the infamous candy crowley debate where he knew obama was lying and he knew he was right but he let the fat lady sing and sat down like a good boy. He should have told crowley to wait a minute and let him finish what he had to say but he was too nice. Unless he grows a set he hasn’t a chance against the clinton machine where ethics and honor are listed under fiction in their family library.

inspectorudy on July 31, 2014 at 11:58 PM

not only no – h$ll no ….
I swear before a Holy G_D that if it is a squish
I will stay home … period …
Jeb, Christy , Mitt … any of em …
I am done … you can hold your nose all you want
I am buying ammo and food … and sitting tight
WHEN the crash comes – I will be ready …
now if you can manage to nominate someone
who is a conservative and not bought and paid
for by the chamber … well then i will be
happy to support them ….

conservative tarheel on August 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Not ever….period
III/0317

Sgt Stryker on August 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM

As for having to choose between Christie,Jeb Bush,or Romney…no thanks,I’ll stay home.

redware on August 1, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Romney is better than any candidate out there.

America royally screwed up last election, not only for how bad Obama is, but for how good Romney is.

I frequently hear Reagan cited as our standard bearer, most doing so have no idea about his liberal side.

EMTALA, Theraputic Abortion Act, gun control, Amnesty, Justice O’Conner, Lebanon, former Democrat and union member, to name a few.

Both men repented of liberal tendencies, but Reagan actually signed an abortion liberalization bill, Romney never did.

Perspicacious on August 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM

This overlooks the fact that, from the actual running perspective, he was the worst Republican candidate of my lifetime.

K. Hobbit on August 1, 2014 at 5:12 AM

‘tune for minimum smoke’.

Tard on August 1, 2014 at 5:33 AM

Of course he is, as gullible GOPe voters are taking the MSM/DNC bait for a sure loser

Brock Robamney on August 1, 2014 at 5:44 AM

Perspicacious on August 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM

So the Father of Obamacare is the new standard for the GOP? Explains why the GOP is the new Whig party

Brock Robamney on August 1, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Perspicacious on August 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Hmmm….

“Abortion on demand now takes the lives of up to one and a half million unborn children a year.
Human life legislation ending this tragedy will someday pass the Congress, and you and I must
never rest until it does.”
Source: Ronald Reagan. Speech in Orlando Florida , Mar 8, 1983

Brock Robamney on August 1, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Why all the focus on a retread? Romney may have been the right candidate for his time. But that time is gone.

Let’s move on.

A strong governor with a good record- say Scott Walker, Mike Pence or even a much stronger Rick Perry should be somewhere in this race. So should someone like Susana Martinez.

We have a very strong bench. The Democrats have one candidate- Hillary Clinton whose argument is “it’s time”. Whatever that means. To me it sounds like Hillary believes it’s an entitlement she’s earned, reasoning, capabilities, skills and ultimately voters be damned.

We’ve had enough of that- haven’t we?

We have met the enemy and it is us. Enough of killing each other and dividing the party. Let’s pick our candidate and support them.

Marcus Traianus on August 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM

We have met the enemy and it is us.

Marcus Traianus on August 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM

True, that.

The GOP leadership has done everything in it’s power to inspire distrust, resentment, and even loathing in the GOP’s natural constituency of conservatives. How does it go again….you reap what you sow?

ElectricPhase on August 1, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I voted for Romney in the last election and I would vote for him again if he chose to run. He has excellent leadership traits and smarts – something this country has been lacking for the past 6+ years.

Cherokee on August 1, 2014 at 8:57 AM

If you can’t coax Romney to run again, what about a RINO dream ticket: McCain/Graham?

#HelloBelize

motionview on August 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM

#HelloBelize

motionview on August 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM

LOL – Glad I came back and read this.

Fallon on August 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

My opinion is that Romney has “shot his wad”.

Everyone keeps stating that Romney would be good for jobs, for
the economy.

However, if one is weak on Obamacare and amnesty, both job killers
in themselves, then what is the point?

Romney would stand with the national Chamber of Commerce and
be concerned about low cost labor for large corporations.

Where in his resume does he have small business experience?

Quit trying to shove Romney down our throats. He wasn’t good the first time, the second time; nor will he be good a third time.
Yes, he is better than Obama, however, who isn’t?

Amjean on August 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Run as a supporter of a Republican controlled Congress. And, don’t forget a couple of SCOTUS appointments.

Or, you can go with Hillary, or Poke and Haunt Us

Willys on August 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM

FlaMurph on July 31, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Yeah, 400,000 more votes, in the right places…
You just do not get it.
He had one of the largest war chests this nation has ever produced for getting out the vote and he was a complete failure at it.

Did he have high quality compelling advertisements? Nope.
The low quality low compelling advertisements at least were plastered everywhere to at least get saturation? Nope.
He had the largest on the ground get out the vote infrastructure ever? Nope.
He had the most powerful get out the vote system to target those needed 400,000 voters (orca)? Nope.

Now then, lets talk about that Romney who killed that lady with cancer… Where was he while the Democrats created this image of him? Was he fighting back? Was he making his own image to compete? A true image of him that would be orders of magnitude more powerful than a false image of himself or the false image the Democrats created? Nope, no where to be found while he was defined. He had no problem fighting tooth and nail during the primary. Getting as dirty as anyone ever got to destroy his enemies (not adversaries, but enemies to Romney).

It is not just the votes that Romney did not deliver with that hundreds of millions of dollars he had available to spend… It was the entire campaign that was lackluster and therefore cost him all those votes. But we are told he is the most competent man to have ever run for president. Something does not add up. Either he is a far lesser man than you claim him to be, or he had to factually be trying to throw the election. It is one or the other. Which is it? Is he really less competent than a ham sandwich?

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Great. A big govt republican who hates and doesn’t understand conservatism and is inept, ignorant, and incompetent as a political candidate is “coming back”. And some “conservatives” think this is a good thing?

“ConservatIsm” apparently means big govt now

Monkeytoe on August 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Romney is better than any candidate out there.

Romney accomplished less than any other person in history in his campaign with more than anyone in history ever had available to them. No, he is not better than any candidate out there. He is a drain on resources and destructive to the coalition of conservatives you need to win elections.

Good god, we failed Romney! Is there a comment out there more narcissistic that even Obama would not utter? That is just ridiculous. Romney asked to be the standard bearer, and part of the responsibility for that position is to be inspirational to get the people to vote for you and hopefully your party members.

Perspicacious on August 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Reagan did repent of his liberalness way back in the late 50s. He then spent decades building his conservativeness such that by the time he was running for president in 1980 his core belief system was conservatism.
Romney “repented” on the other hand. He became a severe conservative. In other words, a faux conservative. He still believes in everything he did as governor of Massachusetts. Everything from Romneycare to gay marriage to putting regressive people on the benches. All regressive (liberal to you I guess) policies. Hell, he would not even lock him self into repealing obamacare for crying out loud. What exactly are his conservative positions?

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Romney, heed the advice of Tag(g). You really don’t want to run, so don’t run. Again.

Sherman1864 on August 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I see no difference between a big government Republican and a Democrat – so if the Republican nominee has not made a career (not just a speech) of eliminating taxes and shrinking government, I’m not voting for him – even if Obama is running for a third term.

Establishment, big government Republicans had their chance last decade and proved they would happily grow government and taxes. In my opinion, it looks like the Republican party needs to be destroyed to remove the rot – so the sooner we get with the creative destruction the sooner we can see the rise of a party that actually embodies and supports small government, low tax philosophies. Anything else is just Democrat-lite.

You want to lose again? Go ahead, nominate Romney.

Over50 on August 1, 2014 at 10:41 AM

He’s a nice man and an honorable man, but he will treat Hillary with the same politeness that he used against Obama.

The ads write themselves: three-time loser. I can see them now and they are awful.

Don’t do it, Mitt.

PattyJ on August 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Disclaimer: I don’t think that Romney should run because I don’t think he can win. This trumps everything else.

That being said, let’s try and summarize the article.

Pros: Has been right on everything.

Cons: Too rich for the left and very important in every day life of Americans considerations about how many times once “bite from an apple”.

Hmmm… I guess I still stand by my conclusion. He shouldn’t run in this stupid country.

PBH on August 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM

^ one bites

PBH on August 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM

What make the Clinton’s tick. It is all about power and connections. This is what their wealth is all about. To win the Presidency would insure Billions for themselves and establish the dynasty for Chelsea. To lose would be to lose it all, within 90 days no one in the world will return there calls. They would be marginalized. They know this. Is there a way to have a win-win for the Clinton’s? I think there is one. At the last minute she give the entire support of the Clinton machine and money to another Democratic candidate in return for the position of Sectary of Homeland Security. This group is the largest black hole money laundering operation in the US history. Talk about putting the FOX in charge of the Hen House.

jpcpt03 on August 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Stuck on stupid.

Gallifet on August 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Does the GOP want to lose again? While I like Romney, he would lose the election.

sadatoni on August 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Plus, it would make all the nut cases’ heads explode.

Adjoran on July 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Romney could be great as a cabinet or major department member or special adviser tasked with reform (but NOT Homeland Security, INS, EPA, or education), but NO WAY he should be a president: we do NOT need a RINO there!!

landlines on August 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM

America lost when Romney lost in 2012

Unfortunately this isn’t the era of Nixon politics. Romney can’t and won’t run again

And as usual, a white man will not win the white house in 2016. Not going to happen.

Redford on August 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Is Romney poised for a comeback?

Nooooooooooooooooope.

Next question.

alchemist19 on August 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Mr. Romney had his chance…absolutely NOT the next time around.

OneConservative on August 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Romney is too old and so is Clinton.

edrebber on August 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

America lost when Romney lost in 2012

Redford on August 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Actually, as many of us already said. America lost the moment Romney was selected in the primary. The rest was just sit back and wait for the results to be tabulated.

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

So who was your pick…Newt or Vest? Please.

Redford on August 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM

________________________________________

Romney is better than any candidate out there.

America royally screwed up last election,
not only for how BAD Obama is, but for how GOOD Romney is.

Perspicacious on August 1, 2014

________________________________________

Obama is AWOL and the world suffers
Obama’s dereliction leaves a leadership vacuum

GAO: Healthcare.gov Trainwreck resulted from Obama Admin Incompetence

Polls: Obama, Obamacare Hit New Lows

Obama readies executive action on immigration
Obama intends “to act broadly and generously”
on behalf of the “millions and millions” of
ILLEGAL immigrants in the United States today.

________________________________________

Why Exposés of the Clintons Fail — Clinton, Inc.

Today, despite Bill Clinton’s public record of
shoddy financial deals, brutal politics, and
endless abuse of women,
Bill Clinton is the most beloved of recent presidents.

……………………………………………………………………..
www. WhiteHouseDossier.com

Hillary Clinton blamed Bill’s sex ADDICTION on
the abuse he suffered as a child by his mother

Hillary: Bill Clinton was Abused by His Mother

Hillary Clinton claimed Bill Clinton’s sex mania
resulted from ABUSE he suffered from his mother,
Virginia Kelley, as a child.

……………………………………………………………………..
The Brass Standard — Bill CLINTON Master Politician
Many People STOPPED making MORTGAGE payments

……………………………………………………………………..
About those Policies that got us into This Mess

________________________________________

Gov. Rick Perry:
Illegals Committed 3,000 Murders in Five Years

………………………………………………………………………..
U.S.S. Obama Hits Immigration Iceberg
The new Fox News poll showed that
Obama’s immigration policies are approved of
by only 25% of independent registered voters.
67% percent of independents disapprove of
his immigration policies, according to the poll
of 1,057 registered voters.

________________________________________

Congress should sue the imperial Obama, even if it doesn’t work

Responding to Obama’s immigration edicts
There is a lot Congress can do to stop a lawless president.

________________________________________

Global HAWK on August 1, 2014 at 10:07 PM

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Hmmm…..
Are you really this stupid, or just naive? You do realize Ignorance is a LIBERAL trait.
You know damn well what the entire media (sans FOX) did to his campaign….and that even had to go into full Pravda mode after the Oct. 3 debate where Romney shook the Progtard world – made them cry- and exposed the lies that defined them. THAT will never ever happen again from another R candidate- even Paul Ryan.
And You still pine for those pathetic R primary candidates… What a freakin joke ….and guess what? There still is NO ONE on the R side that stands a chance in 2016. That’s why Romney’s name is still reluctantly out there- because there is still no one more competent than he is- on either side.
Ham sandwich? Yeah, promise the American voters a FREE Ham sandwich and guess what – they’ll vote for the Ham sandwich every time.
Haven’t figured that out by now?

FlaMurph on August 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM

_______________________________________________

Perspicacious on August 1, 2014

Romney is better than any candidate out there.
America royally screwed up last election,
not only for how BAD Obama is, but for how GOOD Romney is.

_______________________________________________

Ann Romney Introspection on the 2012 election:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I believe this, I really believe this:

You know, we lost, but truly the country lost

by not having Mitt as president.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Ann Romney said:

Really in life how do you define success,
and for me success is do you have a good relationship,
do you have a good family.”

Life is good. Our life is wonderful. And, you know,
I’m very happy right now, in a good place.

www. politico.com/story/2014/01/ann-romney-mitt-romney-netflix-documentary-102929.html

_______________________________________________

POLLING after POLLING Americans says that
their TOP concerns are JOBS and the Economy.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
JOBS and the Economy Gov. Romnney’s EXPERTISE:

_______________________________________________

Ascendant Mitt Romney

_______________________________________________

Today America need LEADERSHIP attuned to
the REVITALIZATION of USA companies and opportunities.

Back in the 1980s, Bain Capital under
Mitt Romney was a spearhead of a massive national
movement of CORPORATE RESTRUCTURING.

The HIGH TAX RATES of the inflationary 1970s had
FORCED a deadening SIEGE of conglomeration
and corporate BLOAT and resulted in a catastrophic
60 % DECLINE in the REAL VALUE of corporate EQUITY.

This was the era of palatial new Corporate headquarters,
jet fleets, and lavish entertainment budgets
all serving INCOHERENT JUMBLES of
unrelated COMPANIES that had EQUITY worth less
than the sum of their parts.

Corporations often had either to SPLURGE or MERGE
to AVOID a suffocating CONFISCATION of PROFITS
through the interplay of INFLATION with
exalted TAX GOUGES, which could rise to
EFFECTIVE RATES above 100 % of real returns.

Conglomerates ARTFULLY COMBINED companies
nursing LOSSES with companies harvesting PROFITS,
thereby MUTING the impact of the DEADLY TAX REGIME.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

But Ronald Reagan’s counter-inflationary supply-side
TAX policies, coupled with Paul Volcker’s
monetary contraction, made these
MORBID COMBINES DYSFUNCTIONAL.
They had to be dismantled and REORGANIZED for
a LOW-TAX, LOW-INFLATION regime,
kicking and screaming all the way,
and Mitt Romney was a KEY LEADER on the case.

This RESTRUCTURING campaign radically INCREASED
the VALUE of the ASSETS of USA Business.

The economic effects of a general RESTRUCTURING
that RELEASES CAPITAL for better uses, more jobs,
and higher VALUATIONS all across the economy.

Bain Capital successfully invest in entire companies,
which resulted in SHARP INCREASES in capital expenditures,
R & D, employment, and share value.

……………………………………………………………………..
The American Spectator
________________________________________

Another FINANCIAL MELTDOWN on the horizon?
And You thought the Last MELTDOWN was Brutal …

warning that near-zero interest rates may be
fueling asset bubbles while diverting funds
away from productive long-term investment

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The Fed’s Failure Complicates Its Endgame

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Global HAWK on August 2, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Good and decent man.
Poor candidate who ran a horrible campaign.
RINO

Emphatic NO!

Pelosi Schmelosi on August 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Good and decent man.
Poor candidate who ran a horrible campaign.
RINO

Emphatic NO!

Pelosi Schmelosi on August 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Is there another candidate in mind then? I would hate to see the Alinskyite media get another shot at fabricating their lies against Romney, again……and yet we still have NO ONE who has a chance at POTUS…..and the flavor of the month ain’t gonna fly in 2016.
The true commie will never admit this, but there are plenty of indies who wished they weren’t so “persuaded” by the American Pravda media to vote for Hopey Changey, again.
So we are stuck with a career politician to lead. Ugh.

FlaMurph on August 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I’ll vote, as usual, for whoever the R nominee is. If Romney shows up, out debates and out maneuvers the other hopefuls again, I’ll vote for him against Hillary. Pointless to sit here and whine about some theoretical conservative candidate who can’t get it done. I’m not looking for moles to pop up at the last minute. Hopefully, Cruz, Paul and a few other quality candidates will get in early and we’ll have some good choices.

cimbri on August 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM

No. He’s not. His record is clear and will be reposted every time I get a chance.

John_G on August 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM

You know damn well what the entire media (sans FOX) did to his campaign….

FlaMurph on August 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Give me a break. Romney had no campaign to go after. He had no campaign after sliming whatever GOP primary opposition he had. Actually media treatment of Romney was pretty much standard for any GOP nominee. McCain was hit much MUCH harder than Romney ever was. So was Dubya for that matter.

ddrintn on August 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

astonerii on August 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

So who was your pick…Newt or Vest? Please.

Redford on August 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Neither of them would’ve done any worse. It’s beautiful though: people actually entertain seriously the possibility of a lead-pipe demonstrably miserable failure of an electoral loser like Romney getting in there again and dazzling us with his political savvy, but yet practically anyone to the right of Romney is a hopeless case before the thing even gets started. It’s why squishes never win anything without riding piggyback on conservatives.

ddrintn on August 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM

FlaMurph on August 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM

What competence? The only thing Romney’s shown himself to be competent at in public life is making money and losing elections.

ddrintn on August 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Hey all, I haven’t commented on here for quite awhile but still read HA daily.

First off, and most importantly, it shouldn’t matter WHO are candidate this time around is we NEED to vote for anyone with the R by their name as if the last 8 years hasn’t made that point. I am sick and tired of the “pure” conservative sitting home as they did in 2006 thus giving the election to the Dems (and see where that got us), and then again those sitting in 2012 because they whined about Romney. How’s those last four years working out for you…if you are even working now?!!

Asteronii, ddrintn, and the like have never even liked Romney so I just glaze over their posts. If it is Romney and he decides to run and wins the nomination, I would hope we TPers, conservatives, RINO’s, and Beltway Repubs would all vote for Romney to stop our crumbling of our country any further. I seem to recall that Reagan also lost a couple of times before he was successful.

PS Asteronii, Reagan didn’t repent “in the 50′s” from his liberalism, those were laws he implemented while Gov of CA. (’67-’75) and yes, he later regretted the abortion law but he still implemented many things we “pure” conservatives TODAY would consider heresy when he became POTUS (amnesty to name one). Just so you know, I still rank Reagan in my top three of greatest presidents.

Good nite from Nigeria!

g2825m on August 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM

g2825m on August 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM

And when I see yet another “vote for our squish loser or the world will come to an end” post I just glance over it too. Nah as a politician no I never did really like Romney. But held my nose and voted for him anyway. Never again, brah.

ddrintn on August 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM