“Are you a Christian?” Tucker Carlson vs. Kirsten Powers on admitting children from Central America

posted at 6:41 pm on July 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via RCP, the fun starts at around 3:00. As far as I know, Powers has always supported open borders as a “solution” to America’s immigration problem. If she’s emphasizing here that the kids are “refugees,” it’s not because she or other lefties draw some firm line between people who are facing persecution and people who just want to work in America and can’t be bothered to wait in line. She’s emphasizing they’re “refugees” because, as we’ve seen before, that term tends to make Americans more forgiving when absorbing tens of thousands of people from abroad. It’s salesmanship. If you’re not in any physical danger back home but feel like Texas might be a better bet economically than Mexico, hey. Come on in. “Refugee,” “undocumented,” whatever.

Silly atheist that I am, I’m not sure how far the “Christian” response to the border crisis should go. Is it sufficiently Christian to let kids from Honduras make their own way north, in the clutches of human traffickers, or should we provide safe transport too? If we provide it to them, shouldn’t we provide it to “refugees” from other countries, especially countries without a land route to the U.S., who want to come here? If they can’t pay the fare, should we comp them? And if we’re going to do all that, why shouldn’t we work with foreign governments on some sort of annexation? It might be easier to bring U.S. jurisdiction to Central America than it is to bring hundreds of thousands or millions of Central Americans to the U.S. What say you, Christians?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I wonder if Kristen P. would let all the residents of the Bronx seek asylum in her Upper West Side digs?

jusstjones on August 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM

This is not a rule for nations today but for the Church. The “stranger” is the non-Christian, not the Honduran creeping across the border illegally.

Akzed on July 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

But once again the Left gets away with “using” their misunderstanding of religion because few challenge them. Aren’t we told time and time again that the US does not have a state religion and how dare anyone try and impose Christianity’s beliefs on the country?

If we did live in a theocracy, then the children from Central America who were being allowed into the country would be placed with Christian families, learn Christian values, and receive a Christian education.

HarryBackside on August 1, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Imagine how the liberal heads would spin and we’d be told – “no state religion.”

katiejane on August 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM

As a Christian, I say that I am sick and tired of being told, often by non-Christians, that I have to support and enable certain kinds of lawlessness or else I’m not really a good Christian.

“Christian” shouldn’t even be a part of this debate. It is a ad-hominen tactic used to silence dissent. We are not a Christian nation (or so I am constantly told), and last I heard, Christian ministries were not even being allowed to provide the care and assistance that they can at the border – Government employees only are allowed. So to be told that our Christian duty is to shut up and sign off on open borders is stupid and offensive.

dkmonroe on August 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I don’t like it when the left and the right use Christianity/religion to justify government policy. Public policies should be secular in nature and reflect our cultural and religious diversity. For Powers to bring up Christianity, means she’s (1) presenting a logical fallacy, and (2) trying to put words into JC’s mouth. Nobody is saying that we should be mean to the illegal children, just that the United States has no moral or constitutional authority to take care of the world.

Frank T.J Mackey on August 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

dkmonroe on August 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM

This. +1.

Amazing how often Progressives rely on the concept of ‘expertise’ but have no problem with non-Christians making pronouncements on what it means to be a Christian.

Ricard on August 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM

We can’t have it both ways. You either “allow” Christianity as a model for public policy or you do not. You can’t say Yes to Christianity, if it means expanding the welfare state, banning capital punishment, and giving illegals legal status, but no to Christianity, if it means government restrictions on abortion, no gay marriage, and no to school prayer.

Frank T.J Mackey on August 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Christianity should be the life you lead. When you inflict Christianity onto other people and government then you find people who are not Christian steal it to gain power and money. Good example is all the Democrats spouting scripture while killing 43 million or so unborn. That’s why Dems and Chamber of Commerce are pushing for immigration. We must grow our population for economic growth..

Herb on August 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM

dkmonroe on August 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM

THIS

Shay on August 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM

For those who don’t know…. Kirsten Powers is a believer. She goes to Tim Keller’s church in Manhattan.

j_ehman on August 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM