Lundergan Grimes: Iron Dome is great for keeping Hamas from tunneling into Israel

posted at 10:01 pm on July 30, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

By the Palin rule, any misstep on foreign policy by a politician with national aspirations must be shouted from the hilltops. And, since most of the press will not join me, as they think the rule only applies to Republicans, I shall shout this one extra loud. Because it is very silly:

Grimes was asked about foreign policy and the conflict between the Israelis and Hamas during a recent interview with the Lexington Herald Leader.

Grimes’ response casts doubt on her grasp of the basic facts in the Middle East.

“The Iron Dome has been a big reason why Israel has been able to withstand the terrorists that have tried to tunnel their way in,” Grimes was quoted as saying.

That is not the case.

Iron Dome is a joint U.S.-Israeli missile defense system that is able to track terrorist rockets as they enter Israeli territory and destroy them in mid-air. The system has saved scores of Israeli lives and protected the Jewish state during Hamas’s latest terror campaign, in which some 9,000 rockets have been fired at Israel.

Grimes’s comment is sure to draw the attention of critics who say that she lacks solid foreign policy bona fides.

The tunnels that Grimes refers to are a separate issue for Israel.

Grimes unconvincingly tried to finesse the answer in a later release after the NRSC piled on:

“Frankly it’s embarrassing that a Senate candidate would say this,” NRSC press secretary Brook Hougesen said. “Alison Lundergan Grimes is now a year into her candidacy and is still fundamentally unprepared to answer basic questions and has failed to provide any sort of substantive policy plan.”

The Iron Dome system operates in the air, intercepting rockets fired by Hamas using ground-to-air missiles. It does not defend Israel from Hamas-built underground tunnels, the destruction of which Israel has cited as a reason for its latest campaign into Gaza.

In a statement passed along by her campaign on Wednesday, Grimes clarified that the Iron Dome allows Israel to focus its military resources against the threat of tunnels.

I’m just gonna leave this right here:

How Israel’s Iron Dome Anti-Missile System Works

Correction: Changed Democrats to Republicans in my first sentence.

Update: I apologize to you and to Ed for totally missing his earlier post on this. I even searched her name to make sure no one had posted it, and it didn’t come up. My bad entirely, and feel free to go after me in comments. My sincere apologies. This is me right now:

Comments

Grimes…or turtle face…poor poor Kentucky.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Too be fair, Grimes fits right in with the fantasy land the rest of the Fascist-Democrats inhabit.

rbj on July 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Where would Judd be at this point I wonder?

Judge_Dredd on July 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM

and she is right because the qataris told her so. She was there with Piglosi.

burrata on July 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM

By the Palin rule, any misstep on foreign policy by a politician with national aspirations must be shouted from the hilltops. And, since most of the press will not join me, as they think the rule only applies to Democrats, I shall shout this one extra loud.

I think you mean ‘Republicans’. You have to go to Bizzaro World Washington, where the rule only applies to Democrats and Fox News is the liberal alternative to the mainstream media.

If Grimes gets elected, I eagerly await her Senate panel questioning on the 2015 military budget, when she wonders if we have enough torpedoes to shoot down Putin’s new array of missiles pointed at the United States.

jon1979 on July 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM

maybe she can clarify her comments tomorrow on “morning Jew”

avi natan on July 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Grimes…or turtle face…poor poor Kentucky.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Kentucky had a good candidate in Matt Bevin, but they missed their chance to elect him in the Primary.

Vote more carefully in the future, Kentucky!

wren on July 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Where would Judd be at this point I wonder?

Judge_Dredd on July 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM

She would be trying to dig under the Iron Dome.

RickB on July 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Not that I want to be that guy or anything but:

Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something
Jul 30, 2014 2:01 PM by Ed Morrissey
87 Comments »

joekenha on July 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Ed posted this at 1500, right?

Who is John Galt on July 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM

After McConnell voted for today’s immigration funding bill and then switched to a ‘no” vote when he was sure it had a veto-proof total, I hope Grimes wins.

bw222 on July 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Hey, a dome is just an upside down bowl. If Israel were in an iron bowl you couldn’t tunnel in, so…

Yeah. She’s an idiot.

trigon on July 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM

MKH … MY daughter is a new mom so I understand things can get overwhelming …

… but I am wondering if linking this post to the earlier post is going to cause an internet worm hole to be formed …

… besides … SharkNado 2just go for the low hanging fruit!

PolAgnostic on July 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM

jon1979 on July 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM

We don’t have torpedoes anymore. We have ships that go under water .
:O

burrata on July 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Guam could build an Iron Dome to prevent flooding when it finally tips over …

ShainS on July 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Come on, this was posted earlier, there’s NOTHING else to discuss in a thread?

Bishop on July 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM

bluegill will be along any minute now to point out the obvious..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Alison Lundergan Grimes…it sings, like “Provo’s Privy” sings…

Newtie and the Beauty on July 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I think someone bored a tunnel between her ears.

VorDaj on July 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Glorious! Send this dumb ***** to Gaza.

victor82 on July 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Well the Iron Dome covers all the Hamases, right? Like the Iron curtain encircled the Soviets? Before that Reagan fella told the guy with the funny birthmark ; Mr. Gorbychev, open that curtain!

rottenrobbie on July 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM

The thing: it’s not just a misstep. This is a sign that she does not study this problem in any detail. It’s not about being a military expert, it is about reading any single article with the review of the situation there.

PBH on July 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM

bluegill will be along any minute now to point out the obvious..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM

You reading my mind is scary, KochForBrains.

Judge_Dredd on July 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Does Grimes mean Under the Dome??

Sherman1864 on July 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM

bluegill will be along any minute now to point out the obvious..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Why would she call you an idiot?

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Didn’t we do this thread earlier today? Are we experiencing weird flashbacks now?

oscarwilde on July 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM

At least she didn’t credit Iron Man for keeping Israel safe. Now that would have been embarrassing.

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

She’s got the face to run the Kentucky Derby if she loses.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Nobody wants him…they just turn their heads.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

It’s like déjà vu all over again.

Brat on July 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

She’s got the face to run the Kentucky Derby if she loses.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

But who would want to dress in funny pants to ride her?

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

“What magazines and periodicals do you read to stay informed and understand the world Ms Lundergan Grimes?”

otlset on July 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

HA writers should read HA.

I don’t mind a different twist on the same subject. But Ed covered this.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Well, she’s pretty enough that I’d be glad to teach her about tunnels and domes, and stupid enough to probably let me try.

TXUS on July 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Must have erased this from my memory banks, but what was Palin’s foreign policy misstep? Not knowing the non-existant Bush Doctrine? Stating that you could see Russia from Alaska, momentarily misspeaking about N. Korea or Africa? Someone help here…

unaffiliated on July 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM

HA writers should read HA.

I don’t mind a different twist on the same subject. But Ed covered this.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM |

Totally my bad. I obviously read the site, but missed his post earlier. I even searched for it to make sure I hadn’t missed it, and it didn’t come up. My apologies, everyone!

Mary Katharine Ham on July 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM

She’s got the face to run the Kentucky Derby if she loses.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

But who would want to dress in funny pants to ride her?

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Billy boy said he’ll campaign for her…guarantee he’s not above wearing funny pants…before they come off.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Quick, turn it into a Sharknado 2 open thread and act like you meant it.

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:36 PM

HA writers should read HA.

I don’t mind a different twist on the same subject. But Ed covered this.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Some of us don’t even get here until late and, like me, are too lazy to scroll down into the weeds to see what might have been talked about before. So, cut MKH some slack, she deserves that, being one of the most intelligent and beautiful women who’s never had the chance to sleep with me.

TXUS on July 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Having to continually listen to that dope Juan can throw you off your game.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM

She wasn’t going to beat McConnell anyway.

GOPRanknFile on July 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I grant you an indulgence on this one, MK. Just because you are you.

Go forth, and sin no more…

JohnGalt23 on July 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM

War on brain cells.

wheelgun on July 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM

“And I should say that I’ve always been a big fan of Mel Gibson’s movies.”

-Grimes

Bishop on July 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

That’s true, he’s probably wearing jockeys anyway

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I don’t understand how Conservative writers lack material to write about.

No offense, but you post one, maybe two threads a day. All day to think about it. You post in the evening.

There’s a ton of crap going on.

A lot of your post are commercials about your tv spots.

I’ve seen you bring it. I know you can.

Wish you would. Instead of being the 15 minute warning for qotd. I’m sure you aee a fine gal. It just doesn’t seem like your heart is in it.

Just my opinion. Hope you don’t take offense. You can write. Well.

Just do it. quit phoning it in.

This crowd knows the difference,.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Is this one of them smart “rock stars” waiting in the wings to continue the comm dem legacy? Would be real funny except those nasty fkers keep winning over our lame ass candidates.

arnold ziffel on July 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM

It’s Hugh Hewitts’ fault.

If he weren’t busy slacking off, fishing in Montana, or hanging out with that Lileks guy at the Minnesota State Fair, Ed wouldn’t have to cover for him amd MKH & EM could compare notes.

MichaelGabriel on July 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

The Tortoise and the Racehorse rather than the Tortoise and the Hair?

bw222 on July 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I’m not trying to harp on you. I’m trying to encourage you.

I’ve seen you write some really great stuff.

You are capable of it.

I apologize for being critical.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM

That’s okay Mary Katherine, I missed it to.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM

She’s got the face to run the Kentucky Derby if she loses.

msupertas on July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Michelle Nunn will run right beside her.

slickwillie2001 on July 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM

OK…LOL…

Both Hammer and Ed’s posts even have the same picture….

BigWyo on July 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM

that’s okay Mary Katherine, I missed it to. Cindy Munford on July 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM

You don’t work here.

I look at Katie Pavlich, and Townhall. 4 out of every 5 articles are hers.

Fully engaged.

If you want the gig,, it’s what you make it.

If you are getting paid for one article or two a day,

Thing is,, I know she can. That’s why I’m disappointed.

She should do it, because she can. Or give it up.

I haven’t seen something provacative in months. But I know the talent is there.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

I think she’s a great writer, I want to see her write great.

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I wonder if she believes that moats will keep us for extraterrestrial attack.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM

^from

The Notorious G.O.P on July 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM

wolly4321 on July 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Wolly, I like you, always have, but don’t go whine-b!tch on us here. Don’t know about you, but HA doesn’t charge me a single dime to be here, and Mary Katherine is a treasure, period. Leave it.

TXUS on July 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I guess MKH doesn’t think Ed did a good enough job with this one…..

Diluculo on July 31, 2014 at 2:15 AM

C’mon! It’s the story so nice they posted it twice. :)

apostic on July 31, 2014 at 2:25 AM

The Obama speech is a nice touch.

talkingpoints on July 31, 2014 at 5:54 AM

So, she’s been taking lessons from Nancy Pelosi, huh?

jake49 on July 31, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Let’s take a moment to remember that 30 years ago, Ronald Reagan was called an idiot and a nut for pursuing this idea.

RadClown on July 31, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Heh, she must also think that anti-aircraft guns are protection against biological warfare.

I suspect only conservatives get excited about logic, contradictions and what appears to be stupidity–yet the left uses all deceit (particularly appearing inept) as very successful weapons to convince voters that they should be given power.

Logic and truth have very little to do with actually gaining power in America today–better to play on the raw emotions of the compliant masses.

Don L on July 31, 2014 at 7:12 AM

OOps! And how does Mitch finesse his anti-conservative,anti-Tea Party comments.I hope Grimes cleans the RINOs clock and helps stop the Gonadless Old Party win back the Senate.Only by destroying this effete,pusilanimous shadow of an opposition party can we ever hope to stop the march of socialism in America.If the conservative hating McConnell loses the GOP establishment will begin to crumble and start the process of building a strong third party alternative to Tweedle GOP and Tweedle Democrap.

redware on July 31, 2014 at 7:39 AM

She’s not qualified for the Senate, but she’s perfect for being a HA troll.

mankai on July 31, 2014 at 8:07 AM

My bad entirely, and feel free to go after me in comments.

At least you didn’t say that Hamas was firing missiles into Israel, like Ed did.

GWB on July 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM

This is a tough one.

On one hand I would like to see McConnell Gone – PERIOD!

And I am willing to see the seat go to a Democrat to do this.

But I can’t imagine how this “be-auch” figured that answer up.

Then again, how much damage could she cause as a Freshman Senator compared to the DAMAGE McConnell and Boehner are doing to this country through inaction and cuddling up with the “Treasonous” U.S. Chamber of Commerce?

Nat George on July 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM

redware

I agree with you Redware. I just hope Kentucky sees how bad McConnell is for the country votes his *$$ out.

Nat George on July 31, 2014 at 9:27 AM

She thinks this is high school and this is a popularity contest.

She is not a person who should have this big an ego, she has gotten where she is by using her name. But she is just not that special.

And now I see she claims she will even vote against the Obama agenda. Now how will she do that, if her election keeps Harry Reid as the majority leader? Off scott free.

Fleuries on July 31, 2014 at 10:42 AM

On one hand I would like to see McConnell Gone – PERIOD!

Get him elected and then pull the rug out from under him. There are a lot of more charismatic thinkers and speakers in the Senate to compete for this seat, and many of the new Senators will not have the power of seniority..not vested…so they will have nothing to lose. The Senate, where the term is 6 years need not treat newcomers differently, with the exception of an initial orientation period. Seniority is for Union Members, think of how well that works.

This would cure so many ills in the Senate.

So, Elect McConnell, and then get working. That is what is BEST for America, and the stakes are really dire, hold off on your libertarian insurrection until the democrats lose the Senate, Rand says so, and here, he is correct.

Fleuries on July 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Good ole Grimey. She deserves to be double-teamed.

Esaus Message on July 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Nat George on July 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Real simple:
Her first vote, is for Harry Reid as Majority Leader.
Never mind any other votes she might make, or has promised to make: if Harry Reid is in charge, then she won’t get to vote for or against the Keystone Pipeline (for example).

Stopping Harry Reid must be our first consideration. If the Republicans don’t retake the Senate, anything else is no more than passing gas in a hurricane.

ReggieA on August 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM