Jesse Ventura: Don’t feel sorry for Chris Kyle’s widow, I’m the victim here

posted at 8:41 am on July 30, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Jesse Ventura, Minnesota’s former governor, won his lawsuit against the late Navy SEAL and American Sniper author Chris Kyle on Tuesday. He claimed he was defamed in that book and, while a jury agreed, the vainglorious former wrestler-turned-politician-turned-conspiracy-buff has not exactly comported himself in a fashion that elicits much sympathy.

After having been awarded nearly $2 million to be paid by the late serviceman’s widow, one might assume that Ventura would simply slip away and enjoy his victory. It seems, however, Ventura’s narcissism prevented him from taking the tasteful approach here.

In an appearance on CBS News’ This Morning on Wednesday, Ventura engaged in an amateurish attempt to manipulate your emotions by simply insisting rather forcefully that you should not feel sorry for the women who lost her husband to an assassin’s bullet who now has to pay millions to a professional self-promoter with a tenuous grasp on reality. Instead, Ventura insisted that he is the victim here.

“Taya Kyle had all her attorney fees paid by insurance,” Ventura noted. “I did not.”

“I’m already damaged,” Ventura said when asked if he had hurt his reputation by seeking restitution even after Kyle’s death. “I can’t go to a SEAL reunion anymore. That was the one place where I always felt safe. I can’t go there anymore without looking over my shoulder now wondering who is going to come after me next.”

After seeking sympathy for the consequences of his own actions, Ventura reassured the audience that he has not emerged from this episode “unscathed.”

Lacking any empathy or courtesy, Ventura was asked what he planned to do with the winnings after noting that they come at the expense of a widow with two children. “Pay my lawyers,” Ventura said. His response was met with a shocked pause. “I didn’t have an insurance company paying the freight for me. I had to pay my own.”

Finally, Ventura promised the CBS hosts that his crusade to further damage his already shoddy reputation would not end here. Asked if he planned any future legal action around this defamation issue, Ventura promised to “visit” HarperCollins – the publisher of American Sniper – presumably to seek further damages over what he alleged and a jury agreed was an unfounded claim.

What a small man.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What a douche.

KMC1 on July 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM

“I’m already damaged,” Ventura said

His one truthful statement – and it has nothing to do with the lawsuit.

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM

cozmo on July 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM

As a lawyer, I’m offended by that! JK.

And I understand your point: the publisher will want Mrs. Kyle to appeal. Fair enough. But the carrier won’t necessarily be influenced by that, particularly if it didn’t also cover the publisher.

Syzygy on July 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Publisher HarperCollins says it will remove a passage from best-seller ‘American Sniper’ that sparked former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura’s defamation lawsuit against book author Chris Kyle – @AP

davidk on July 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM

verbaluce on July 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I think he does that every time he opens his mouth but if finds a way to make money on it, I’m sure he’ll give it a try.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM

So in other words, Ventura made the deliberate decision to cause a fallen SEAL’s widow grief and piss off the SEAL community. And as a result he thinks HE’S the victim?

Ventura will always be remembered throughout the warrior community for this. He’s messed with the widow of one of their finest brothers.

AtTheRubicon on July 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM

This is likely true as well – if anything, mainly because of Kyle’s story being true – but more so now that he sued a real SEAL’s widow and kids.

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM

“$crew the woman who lost her husband and who I financially went after…$crew the US’s greatest sniper ever…my ego is at stake. I am the victim everyone should feel sorry for.”
– WHAT A DISGRACE!

easyt65 on July 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I know you guys are from Minnesota, but two (count-em 2) pictures staring at me from Hot Air this morning. This guy was just practice for Minnesotans electing obama and franken. I like northern Minnesotans, but they are all a little squirrely in their reasoning.

Barf is a lot harder to get off my keyboard than coffee.

Old Country Boy on July 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM

davidk on July 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I hope they just leave a blank space so people can re-insert the passage on their own after buying the book.

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM

-That is pictures of Jesse Ventura -

Old Country Boy on July 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Jessie, do us all a favor and go jump in a cholla patch.
What a sphincter you are.

Missilengr on July 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Old Country Boy on July 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Maybe frostbite on the brain is a common ailment up there….

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I would be impressed if Mr. Ventura donated that award to Wounded Warriors, or some such service caring for our honorable veterans.
I’m not impressed that he pursued the case in such a way as to deprive a widow with children after the death of Mr. Kyle, regardless of how much money the widow retains. His reputation will not be restored by such an action, at least not in my eyes.

bobthm3 on July 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

As if this idiot needed more negative promotion…

Schadenfreude on July 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

AtTheRubicon on July 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM

He may just get a real dose of that “victimhood” he keeps whining about – living in Mexico (drug cartel country) and having pissed off the entire community of the best special warfare people (and snipers) in the world – ya just never know what could happen….

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM

bobthm3 on July 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Don’t hold your breath on that….

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I watched “The Running Man” last night just so I could see him die.

ConstantineXI on July 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM

“Now that hit the spot!”

(OK, that was from the final scene where Arnie finishes off Richard Dawson, but I thought it was fitting.)

cableguy615 on July 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Remember this: no matter how bad your day is, you’re still not as big a piece of sh*t as Jesse Ventura.

Physics Geek on July 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Physics Geek on July 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Great point.

talkingpoints on July 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM

… that you should not feel sorry for the women who lost her husband …

How many wives did he have? o.O

Oxymoron on July 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Physics Geek on July 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Thread winner!

SailorMark on July 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Hopefully, Ventura will feel like he needs to look over his shoulder every minute of every day for the rest of his miserable life.

skspls on July 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM

A bit of trivia (only slightly OT) regarding REAL SEALs:
That guy at the top -

Commander, Naval Special Warfare Command, Rear Admiral Brian L. Losey, USN

is a classmate of mine (I should really say I was in his class, but I’m just not in his class IYKWIM) out of the US Air Force Academy. He was an inter-collegiate swimmer and scuba diver, and cross-commissioned into the Navy at graduation and went straight to SEAL training.
Way to go Brian!!!

I’d love to hear his thoughts about Ventura right now.

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Let me get this straight. Chris Kyle lied about Jesse Ventura and Jesse is the bad guy? A jury of his peers agreed that Jesse was smeared yet, in your bizarre world, Jesse is “scum.” He would be scum if he was lying about the incident, but the jury said otherwise.

NQJohnson on July 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM

The problem is that Kyle is dead and he personally is no longer able to make restitution. Instead of dropping the case after Kyle’s death, Ventura went after 1.3 million dollars that would have gone to support the widow and sons of the fallen fellow Seal. So, yes, Ventura is the bad guy, or scum if you prefer.

As are his lawyers. And aren’t they paid on contingency? They almost always are in a tort case. So if he hadn’t won anything, he usually wouldn’t owe his lawers anything. Someone should expose the lawyers-who may have encourged him to pursue the case-as the vile beings they are.

And do you really think Ventura suffered 1.8 million of damages from this incident? Do you think that Kyle and his family had unjust enrichment of this amount from this one trivial anecdote?

Can Ventura be booted from the Seals? The social equivalent of a dishonorable discharge?

talkingpoints on July 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Ummmm, no sir, you are a POS. Paranoid, bizarre, ridiculous.

sy212 on July 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Batman and Robin (19897) Jesse plays a prison guard

Flange on July 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM

The Running Man was released in ’87.

cableguy615 on July 30, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Don’t have time to read the whole thread, so this may repeat someone else’s thoughts.

I have had the privilege of working with former SEALS, former SF, and former Marine Force Recon. And I have a nephew who for the last 15 years has done things in the Marines which he cannot talk about …. but I know what schools they sent him to.

It strikes me that deliberately pissing off every active and former Special Operator of all services, and their families, by abusing Chris Kyle’s widow and children may be an act with consequences.

Subotai Bahadur on July 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM

The fact that Jessie won the Gov race in MN,and Al Frankin his Senate seat, tells you all you need to know about the peeps in MN.

Whiterock on July 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Let’s not forget Mr. “I-swear-on-de-Koran” Queef Al-Smellison

cableguy615 on July 30, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Its so sad. This guy is his own worst enemy. Nothing Kyle or anyone else could have said would have done more damage to his reputation than he caused by his own actions.

When Kyle was murdered, he should have made a public statement asserting his own ‘innocence’ in the story, but letting everyone know he would certainly not be pursuing the matter in court out of deference to the loss and suffering of Kyle’s family. In this way, he could have gone a long way in rebuilding his reputation and showing he was a good guy. But no, his ego wouldn’t let him be a good guy – he had to be the jerk.

LilyBart on July 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Subotai Bahadur on July 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM well Ventura is a idiot and asshole

sorrowen on July 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Jessie,

You claim to be a navy SEAL, – Your not.

You prove to be a crybaby punk, – You are.

Texyank on July 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM

talkingpoints on July 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Can’t get booted from something you were never part of.
UDT’s are not Seals.

Seals are UDT’s first.

Can’t imagine first of all why he’d show up at a Seal reunion unless he’s looking for some s&%t.

How any of the minor points of his service, and subsequent morphing into the Seal Hero he became to run for governor did not get into the trial as character testimony is beyond me.

Then again as eloquently pointed out here many times, Minnesota not only elected him, but Al Franken, and voted overwhelmingly for Barack Obama. These same voters no doubt made up the jury pool as well and the bench. The judge, that said he should probably dismiss the lawsuit, but then, what the hell….

Tenwheeler on July 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Streisand effect comes to mind. Guy is his own worst enemy. Sorry, I didn’t get to the end of the clip listening to him feels like being bludgeoned.

Esperanza on July 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Maybe Kyle defamed Ventura, maybe he didn’t. It does take a special kind of a-hole, however, to go after a widow for her late husband’s offense.

eaglescout_1998 on July 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Unless he’s a complete idiot.

But then, I repeat myself.

Tenwheeler on July 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Maybe frostbite on the brain is a common ailment up there….

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM

You know, generally we’re decent, nice folks. Excepting the majority of those who dwell in the Twin Cities (and some of the die-hard dems in the iron range and farm country), that is. If it weren’t for Hennepin and Ramsay Counties, MN would be a solid lock as a red state, although I suppose that could be said for many other blue states as well.

Othniel on July 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Apparently one mentally deranged space alien was allowed to come to Minnesota.

Krupnikas on July 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Krupnikas on July 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I take it you haven’t been to Minnesota.

More than one.

cozmo on July 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM

A jury heard much more about this case than anyone here ever did. And, they said the story was a lie.

You don’t get carte blanche to so whatever you want, just because you’re a popular military veteran. You have to follow the same laws as everyone else.

It’s not Ventura’s fault the guy died, anyway. And, it’s the guy’s book money they went after, not the wife.

Just because someone dares to say things you don’t agree with, many say are supposed to be treated differently. That’s cheap.

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Othniel on July 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Ya – a lot of my wife’s family (mother’s side) is all around the Twin Cities area – and we know what THEY are like….

Colorado is actually very similar – mostly red except for the Peoples’ Republik of Denver-Boulder.
Where you may have issues with frostbite, we have a lack of oxygen….

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM

And, it’s the guy’s book money they went after, not the wife.

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM

WHO do you think has the “book money” now that Kyle is dead?
So whose hands will he be taking “the book money” out of?

It’s not as if “the book money” is out living its own life, and telling stories…

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I’d say Ventura’s lawyers have that book money. The law is the law.

It was a popular bestseller book for quite a while. I’d guess there was more money made from it than that what was awarded. I’m sure there will be an appeal, and it could all still be dismissed (or at least reduced) anyway.

And, you guys don’t about about this. You just want to whine about a guy you don’t like anyway.

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM

HA still needs an edit button.

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I’m with Moesart on this. Ventura is a POS, but the jury found that Kyle lied. Ventura is still a jerk and always will be, but defamation cases are not easy to win.

I don’t really understand the distinction between suing Kyle and maintaining the lawsuit after he died. It’s the same $. Yeah, it would be graceful for Ventura to drop the suit after Kyle’s death, but the man has no class. It is what it is.

I have no idea how you justify $1.8 million in damages in this case – that’s the question I’d really like to see answered.

hamiltmc on July 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM

And that OJ was not guilty, and that Casey Anthony should go free…

This happened. 11 witnesses testified that they saw some aspect of it. Word of it even made it to Hot Air, long before Kyles book came out.

It’s not Ventura’s fault the guy died,

His name was Chris Kyle.

And, it’s the guy’s book money they went after, not the wife.

Which is why he sued Kyle’s wife. Ventuira is a lying scumbag and anyone who believes a word out of his troofer hole is a moron.

V7_Sport on July 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM

But the effect was the same.

LilyBart on July 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM

hamiltmc on July 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM

They are much easier to win when the guy you are accusing of lying about you is deceased and unable to defend his position.

PJ Emeritus on July 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I think it was Dickens who referred to a man who was so low he would “steal the coins off a dead man’s eyes”. It’s an archaic reference but; enough said.

DigitheadRex on July 30, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Hmmm…Well, Jesse, maybe if you hadn’t sued, you wouldn’t need to pay those lawyers. Idiot.

Mr. Bultitude on July 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Jessie put you DD-214 on line.

Your medical records of the vd you got in Longdepole too if you dare.

Show us any special order attaching you to any in country team.unit,or area where combat took place.

Do not use an RR trip to Cam Ron Bay.

Tell us if you ever where issued a fire arm to use in a combat zone.

Tell us in a monthy maner what you did for the U.D.T. operation.

Company Clerk?, Personal dept. , mess hall manager,,,?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Jessie the ugly stain of the U.D.T. honor.

He has put himself underwater with an empty tank.

He can blame himself to the end of time now.

He and Michael Mann need to cry themselves to sleep together.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM

PJ Emeritus on July 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM

This is all kinds of dumb. Yeah I’m sure there wasn’t even a defense put up at all.

Call Ventura what you want, but people cannot go around making money pn other people’s names. Whether the author is dead or alive, the jury determined it took place.

Some of you make it sound like Kyle’s widow will be breaking out the checkbook and writing a check. Get real.

WelfareWonderland on July 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I enjoyed this tweet.

whatcat on July 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM

NY Times said Ventura actually claimed that showbiz offers dried up because of the passage in the book that says he dissed a seal or whatever it was and got punched by Kyle.

First, why would showbiz offers dry up because of a bar fight whether or not it ever happened?
Who even read the damn book that is in the position of offering him showbiz stuff?
Why would one be dependent on the other???

OMG! He said something nasty about a seal (or not) We can’t have him host a truther show!!

And he deserves 1.8 million in recompense? Fuckin’ lawyers.

Allahs vulva on July 30, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Jesse Ventura: A$$HOLE OF THE YEAR!

(and it’s only July)

Another Drew on July 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

He a bit over the top here

gwhh on July 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Moesart on July 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Are you an ass on real life too? Do you have a single friend? This man continued a lawsuit he claimed was by design to just untarnished his reputation. He said he didn’t care about money. His vendetta was again Kyle himself. But he pushed the lawsuit even after the man was murdered and had to name, HAD TO NAME, Kyle’s widow as the defendant.

But you characterize our disgust with that as just being mad at a guy we don’t like anyway. JGFO.

You’re as big a douche as Ventura. Maybe bigger.

hawkdriver on July 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM

In the immortal words of Jim Norton, **** Jesse and his stupid Riff-Raff hair-do.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM

WelfareWonderland on July 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Where do you think 1.8 million is going to come from?

hawkdriver on July 30, 2014 at 5:10 PM

By the way, how do you defame a man who lies for a living?

Being a professional conspiracy peddler means that, as a rule, you are either going to lie via ignorance (this is the “Fire can’t melt steel!1!” camp of 9/11 truthers), or lie via omission (leaving out those juicy little details which tend to ruin conspiracy theories). His entire post-Gubernatorial career is built on lies.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 30, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 30, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Yep, and while I won’t say that “professional” wrestlers are extremely fit, it’s not real. I hope I didn’t crush anyone with piece of news.

Cindy Munford on July 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM

“how do you defame a man who lies for a living?”

Exactly. Jesse is a wannabe, greedy person who will do anything for money and press coverage. Gee! He qualifies for the Obama White House.

koolbob on July 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Geez, so even death doesn’t protect you against lawsuits? Shit.

Faramir on July 30, 2014 at 6:33 PM

This guy isn’t a real navy seal. He never served in combat. Never killed any bad guys. I do wish he’d go to another navy seal reunion though. He’d get his head knocked off. You’d no doubt have to hold back every real seal in that place from punching him.

sadsushi on July 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM

So he is admitting he got knocked out?

Interesting.

Odie1941 on July 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Ventura was a Frogman until the SEALS incorporated them into SEAL units. IIRC Jessie never underwent SEAL training. Jessie was a loon, now he’s a disgraced loon.

Old eagle on July 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM

There is a solution.

Pay off the lawyers. Give the rest of the money back

Then go to the Seals and tell them you regret your actions

Ask what you can do to make amends

Winter is coming.

entagor on July 30, 2014 at 8:45 PM

So he’ll use the proceeds from the widow to fund his legal assault on HarperCollins.

He’ll try to strike now, for a big settlement before Kyle’s widow gets the jury award overturned or sharply reduced. Harper will be cagey but will likely jump for a settlement if Ventura’s team lowballs a shakedown offer to make it all go away.

Pass the popcorn. This is far from over. Ventura hasn’t actually won more than the opening skirmish.

Toocon on July 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM

The excommunicated loser James Janos continues his course toward the coarse.

Scribbler on July 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Old eagle on July 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM

You recall correctly. Jesse never qualified to be a SEAL while he served.

non-nonpartisan on July 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Jesse Ventura has no moral compass.
As long as he breaths he will be shunned.
Jesse you have no friends. Bye

woodhull on July 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM

We have 2 imperfect people, both of whom went through rigorous training in the military. Both of them are self promoters (whatever happened to seals being secretive?). I don’t think either one is better than the other.

cimbri on July 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM

cimbri on July 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Do you think the majority of SEALs would agree with you? I sure don’t.

non-nonpartisan on July 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM

cimbri on July 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM

as we all are. In this case we have one that happens to be somewhat “normal” and the other, a very special a-hole w/plenty of prior baggage to judge him on.

arnold ziffel on July 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM

FLAMING DOUCHEBAG.

Tard on July 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Chris Kyle exaggerated about many things in his book. He slandered Ventura, and Jesse proved it in court. As far as I can determine from the info that is available, Jesse was saying that the war in Irag was wrong, Chris Kyle got mad, and potentially someone got shoved. The story took a life of its own and grew into the exaggerated story that was in the book. Ventura may be a kook, but Kyle’s story was false.

ZippyZ on July 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM

ZippyZ on July 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM

You don’t know for a fact it was false or exaggerated, as you weren’t an eyewitness.

Do you know that the verdict wasn’t unanimous? Do you know how courts work? Jesse didn’t prove in court the story was false any more than Casey Anthony and OJ proved their innocence there.

You sound kooky, just like Jesse.

non-nonpartisan on July 31, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Yeah Ventura, your reputation is secure. You can now return to your 9/11 conspiracy and government surveillance theories.

Kingfisher on July 31, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Jesse: I’m glad you got your ass kicked. Crybaby.

zoyclem on July 31, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Fake,
Fake,
Fake.

TimBuk3 on July 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Jesse: I’m glad you got your ass kicked. Crybaby.

zoyclem on July 31, 2014 at 8:04 AM

A 30 something year old guy punching on a 60 plus year old man (assuming Kyle really did that). Not a very fair fight.

cimbri on July 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM

WelfareWonderland on July 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Speaking of weapons grade stupid.

Let’s see, Wasteland, Kyle is dead, couldn’t testify on his own behalf, maybe even call witnesses HE knew to the incident, proving it wasn’t false – and you think what I said was dumb.

Public school education at work there, folks.

PJ Emeritus on July 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM

What. An. Ass. He will never be welcome anywhere in the military community again, especially in the SF community. Those people take care of their own, and good ol Jesse broke that cardinal rule into a million pieces. If he had a problem, he should have settled for no financial damages and just have the passage taken out of the book. Whether or not her insurance pays it, she still had to go through the whole emotionally grueling process. I hope he loses whatever shred of D list fame he has left over this. So gross.

Boudica on July 31, 2014 at 4:42 PM

cimbri on July 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM

When the 6o year old idiot shows up to the wake reception of someone who was awarded the Medal of Honor for jumping on a hand grenade to save his friends and announces that there needs to be more SEALs killed any concept of fairness goes out the window. Janos is lucky he didn’t wind up in the dumpster where he belongs.

V7_Sport on July 31, 2014 at 6:24 PM