Nice: Three of four “View” panelists speak up for women owning guns for protection

posted at 9:31 pm on July 29, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

The statistics about women and gun ownership tell a different story than the Michael Bloomberg-affiliated Moms Demand Action or its often obliging press corps would have you hear. Women are the fastest growing group of gun owners, with about one in four U.S. women now packing heat. CNN Money recently reported on the trends:

Almost 80 percent of gun retailers reported a rise in female customers in 2012, according to industry figures. In Florida, 22 percent of the concealed carry permits are held by women. In Texas, women hold 28 percent of concealed carry permits, up sharply over the past decade.

There’s a hint of this surge even in mainstream sitcoms, which you’d expect to be uniformly on the Bloombergian side of this equation. On “Modern Family,” Claire Dunphey makes her father’s wife Gloria suspicious by excluding her from a secretive weekly outing. When Gloria follows her, she discovers her secret is that this affluent SoCal citizen blows off the steam and relieves the stress of raising three kids at the gun range.

On the wonderful Mindy Kaling’s “The Mindy Project,” the titular Dr. Mindy Lahiri, a Manhattanite OBGYN, has referenced owning a handgun. When her fiance proposes they get married quickly, she responds, “Don’t you think that’s kind of rushed? It took me longer to get a permit for my handgun!” (which ticked off Salon, I found while Googling, leading them to write a piece that had to be corrected several times over).

A Season 2 episode of “The New Girl” presents Jess’ shooting of a long gun (I can’t remember if it’s a rifle or a shotgun), tutored by another woman, as an empowering act, though she has terrible aim and trigger discipline.

And, on Tuesday’s episode of “The View,” which featured guest hosts Fox’s Juliet Huddy and ABC’s Lara Spencer along with regulars Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd, took an unexpected and refreshing turn during a discussion of gun politics. The segment opened with a very dark and emotional ad from Bloomberg’s Everytown featuring an abusive partner breaking into his ex’s home, taking her son, and shooting her. Given that the ad is designed to make everyone who disagrees with Everytown shut their mouths lest they look like moral monster, the subsequent discussion was all the more surprising and interesting TV. I imagine it’s not the reaction Everytown was expecting it would get on “The View.”

Shepherd, Huddy, and McCarthy all three confessed times they’d felt vulnerable in their homes or with their children that had made them think differently about gun ownership. Spencer said she preferred not to have a gun in her home, but was open to the stories of the other three women. McCarthy mentioned that she keeps her gun locked up and Shepherd urged women to get to the gun range and “learn how to use it.” It was a real discussion with people on different sides who had respect for each other, and it ultimately offered a calmer, more nuanced, and more realistic reflection of the country’s position on guns than we normally see on TV. Nice job, ladies.

Geoffrey Dickens at Newsbusters has the transcript.

Comments

Definitely not against guns. Don’t own one myself. Would like to get some good training before I even consider buying one.

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Finally, some sanity…

OmahaConservative on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I have bears show up in my backyard. I pack.

COgirl on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Guns are the great equalizer against bad guys …and liberals.

CW on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

If guns were known to be prevalent among the population we wouldn’t have much in the way of robberies, knock down assaults, muggings, and rapes. Further, those that are easily preyed on, like women, or the weak or elderly, are given what is a great equalizer, and often lifesaver.

anotherJoe on July 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Yeah, but one (maybe both, I can`t remember) actress shows up in a “Demand A Plan” video. So they probably regret the episode.

ThePrez on July 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I own one. I’m 5’2 and less than 120lbs. My firearm is a great equalizer.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

anotherJoe on July 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

The only reason why I would even consider buying a gun is because I’m really small.

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I own one. I’m 5’2 and less than 120lbs. My firearm is a great equalizer.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

annoyinglittlearmedtwerp. Heh.

Doc Holliday on July 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I own one. I’m 5’2 and less than 120lbs. My firearm is a great equalizer.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Yeah I’m really small. I do get scared that it would be easy for a psycho to overtake me.

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

What is this “View” and why should I care?

Galtian on July 29, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Hi! We think protecting women is so important we have allocated almost 3 minutes for four people to discuss it.

PBH on July 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I have a CHL.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I have a CHL.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Need to get one.

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

It is interesting when reality sinks in with a crew like this and some real opinions come out. Makes you wonder how much of the other garbage they spout is real versus staged.

Doc Holliday on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Use the internet to find a local range near you. See if they offer NRA handgun courses (most do).

A good course will no only offer safe handgun training, but also give you insight into the moral and legal aspects of use of deadly force.

Don’t care how much the perp may have deserved it, you shoot someone, his/her relatives will come out of the woodwork screaming about “winning the lottery”.

GarandFan on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Someone (ahem) should start a show called “southern view”

faraway on July 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Well the class has changed since I got mine. There’s fewer classroom hours needed and there no more NSA/SA nonsense.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Heaven help us all.

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Shut up.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Are you from Texas? And is it different state to state?

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Yeah. I’m in Lubbock.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Everyone should own a gun.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Yeah. I’m in Lubbock.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

K cool.

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Shut up.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Makes me think of this.

And

My favorite

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Everyone should own a gun.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I can think of a few who shouldn’t.

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I took the concealed weapon class in 2008 — we were nearly evenly split between men and women. When I went to the Dept of Ag office to complete the application process last year, the group was split about 60% female, 40% male. When I go to the gun shop or range, about half of the group is women.

Alien on July 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Everyone should own a gun.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Only if NRA members get to keep the bullets.

nobar on July 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM

PBH on July 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

For that group this is “one giant leap”, so you can cut them some slack!

whatcat on July 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Alien on July 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Q: What’s worse than an annoying little yankee twerking twerp with a gun?

A: An alien with a gun.

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM

My favorite

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Heh…that’s a nice…weapon. :)

Doc Holliday on July 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM

You might start your journey here:

CorneredCat.com

(This site is about women and guns, not about cats.)

climbnjump on July 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I knew you weren’t all bad.

arnold ziffel on July 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Guns are the great equalizer against bad guys …and liberals.
CW on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

As the saying goes, God didn’t make man equal – Samuel Colt did.

crrr6 on July 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I knew you weren’t all bad.

arnold ziffel on July 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM

:-)

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Gun ownership (and the training to use it, even more so) is actual
“empowerment” for women (how I despise that term!)

Ladies, don’t be intimidated because you don’t know much or anything about guns. Gun shops and ranges are VERY aware that women are a rising demographic for gun ownership, and most places you can find a range or shop that will specifically cater to your needs.

Just call and say “I’m a chica who has never owned a gun. What will you do to help me learn?” and you will probably be told about their special classes for ladies, or ladies-night range time, or a salesman/instructor who will take you through this step by step.

Its not as scary as you might think.

signed,
a gun-totin’ grandma

Dolce Far Niente on July 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM

God made man Colt made them equal

Grunt on July 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM

The only reason I would even consider buying a gun is because I can.
Which is good enough for me, my wife, and my kids, who are all trained shooters. Every man’s daughter(s) should have one.

Our community has among the highest proportion of CCPs, as well as FFL holders in the nation.
It’s a very, very safe place. And respectful.

orangemtl on July 29, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Heh…that’s a nice…weapon. :)

Doc Holliday on July 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Yeah and that gun’s pretty nice too.

Oldnuke on July 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Makes me think of this.
And
My favorite

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

All very nice.

IF I was ever single again, I think I’d have to go for an Israeli girl.
(can’t think about that now though – my jealous possessive redhead wife who knows how to shoot wouldn’t like it)

dentarthurdent on July 29, 2014 at 11:17 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I own one. I’m 5’2 and less than 120lbs. My firearm is a great equalizer.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Note to self :leave ‘twerp alone.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Get some training.
Handle lots of different guns – and pick one the feels right in your hands, in a caliber you can handle.
My wife has tried several different calibers, and has several guns of her own, but she keeps going back to .22LR for pistols – loves her AR-15 though.

dentarthurdent on July 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Are you from Texas? And is it different state to state?

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Yes, it is different state to state. I got a CCW permit in Connecticut a few years back. When I moved to Texas I was surprised there wasn’t a reciprocity agreement where my CCW would be valid it Texas. You would think the training in CT would have been tighter as they are more strict with issuing the permits. But then I figured Texans would have more in-depth training requirements so people would learn “the right way” to handle their firearms.

Mitoch55 on July 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Guns are the great equalizer against bad guys …and liberals.

CW on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

As the saying goes, God didn’t make man equal – Samuel Colt did.

crrr6 on July 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Yep.
But they got back at Colt … by suing them out of business … : (

listens2glenn on July 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

From the Salon article :

. . . . . viewers may be surprised to see Kaling’s willingness to call herself a Republican in real life sneaking into her series, as in last night’s season premiere. When told that her fiancé wants to marry her in the week ahead, Kaling’s character Mindy Lahiri asks, “Don’t you think that’s kind of rushed? It took me longer to get a permit for my handgun!”

Alleging that gun restrictions are too onerous is an unusual step for a comic, and perhaps out-of-sync with the public mood in the wake of several mass shootings, some of which, like the Sandy Hook shooting, took place months before this episode would have been shot. But Mindy Lahiri is one of the good gun owners, and restrictions are as annoying as a guy changing the date of your wedding. Her self-described conservative persona is something Kaling’s been able to make hay over , and perhaps more and more such jokes will enter into the show.
This post has been updated throughout.

Daniel D’Addario
is a staff reporter for Salon’s entertainment section.

Yeah, that’s fine work, Dan … you updated it, as needed … again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again (repeat until the end of time)

listens2glenn on July 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM

In an episode of The Big Bang Theory, Leonard took Penny to a gun range for a date. Penny offered to show Leonard how to use it, and he talked some trash about how he plays video games, so he thinks he knows how to handle a “gat”.

He then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot.

malclave on July 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM

GarandFan on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Yet another reason to live here in Texas. We don’t cotton to such things. Any jury here would laugh them out of court.

Theophile on July 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Heh…that’s a nice…weapon. :)

Doc Holliday on July 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Weapon of Ass Distraction

soundingboard on July 30, 2014 at 12:53 AM

He then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot.

malclave on July 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I just watched that episode on DVD! You can tell that no one who has dealt with guns was involved in the episode though. At the range, Penny pulls the slide back and checks the chamber. After releasing the slide, she then inserts the magazine (no round in the chamber). Leonard takes the gun, they kiss and then Bang! Again, no round in the chamber.

Mitoch55 on July 30, 2014 at 2:23 AM

I was at the Range/Gun store, and asked the clerk if they have ever had anyone break into cars out front. Nope. Imagine that.

DesertEagle on July 30, 2014 at 2:54 AM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

It was easy enough to find a local NRA certified instructor and had a good course with him along with my niece. After the sit-down mechanical portion of the course was a couple of hours at the range, just to practice what had been learned.

A gun is a tool and if you treat it as such, understand how it works and why it works the way it does, then treat it as a tool it will perform its functions. Just as I don’t use all my hand planes all the time so, too, I do not use my firearms every day… but like them I know how to work with them, how they function and why they function that way, plus know how to clean up performance issues on the part of the tool or its user.

It was refreshing to get a course that was well taught by a multi-certified instructor, who had also taught LE and other courses in his time. He could even hook me up with the local IPSEC or Cowboy Action groups, or Civil War groups if I wanted to expand my understanding of the firearms sports. Sadly my body is not up to more rigorous firearms sports, that is what my workshop is for: to get my body back to semi-functional so that I can do more with my time that is useful. One thing at a time, first things first, prepare the worst, hope for the best, and always remain calm to keep your eye on the target.

ajacksonian on July 30, 2014 at 7:40 AM

My favorite

cozmo on July 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Heh…that’s a nice…weapon. :)

Doc Holliday on July 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Concealed carry.

Barnestormer on July 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Need to get one.

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

It’s ironic in a way.

Once you own a firearm, and you have taken the classes and practiced, it empowers you.

These animals prey on the weak, and once empowered, you are not perceived as weak, you have a change in attitude. That alone keeps you safer than you were before.

Owning, trained, confidence, and you won’t probably ever need to use it…but walk around vulnerable, and your posting shows you are concerned about your size and unsure of your ability to defend yourself, and these guys will pick out the weak, that is how they survive.

Good luck on your journey…you will find it liberating.

My wife shoots skeet, since picking up that sport and the confidence of using a shotgun, she doesn’t need a shotgun in her hand to show she is capable of handling herself.

That will happened to you.

right2bright on July 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM

This “speaking up” tells you, that like Rosie, someone else is carrying for them.

Fleuries on July 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

In addition to getting training from a professional, hook up with friends that have firearms. One thing I will say is that each type of firearm “feels” and handles differently. The only way to pick the correct one for you is to handle them personally. When I went on a men’s retreat and shot for the first time, I was surprised when the .45 had less recoil than the 9mm… but that was due to the type of gun, and its mass. Different guns “feel” different, shoot different and sound different. The only way to determine if one is right for you is to feel it and shoot it. Getting training at a range is great for this since many ranges/trainers have a variety of guns you can train on and “get a feel for”.

And as someone else mentioned. It truly does empower you. You don’t turn into a vigilante, but instead become a much more confident person. And that is a good thing!

dominigan on July 30, 2014 at 10:14 AM

right2bright on July 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Excellent insightful comment!

dominigan on July 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Whenever a woman learns to defend herself with a gun, Bloomberg dies a little inside.

kurtzz3 on July 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Even in Texas, it’s a months-long process to obtain a concealed carry permit.

It’s very thorough. Worth the time and trouble, though.

WhirledPeas on July 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM

You could add former host Whoopi Goldberg whom is an NRA member.

Russ in OR on July 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM

You could add former host Whoopi Goldberg whom is an NRA member.

Russ in OR on July 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Is she a real member-member – or did she just join to try to get “inside information” on the evil gun people?

dentarthurdent on July 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I ran across an article that perfectly describes the reason for carrying a handgun. It’s called “Reason or Force” and correctly addresses how we try to influence one another – reason or force.

It’s a great (short) read. You can read it on my Pesky Truth blog here: http://peskytruth.wordpress.com/2013/02/04/reason-and-force/

Garnet92 on July 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

kurtzz3 on July 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Perfect.

slickwillie2001 on July 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM

terryannonline on July 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Most gun ranges have training and you get to learn from a variety of weapons to discover what you are more comfortable with. In fact, many of them prefer you not decide which weapon to buy until you’ve been through the the program and have a base of knowledge to help your buying decision. You should look into it.

earlgrey on July 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM

kurtzz3 on July 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Maybe if enough of them sign up it will kill the bastard outright. I will celebrate that day.

earlgrey on July 30, 2014 at 4:29 PM

This was an amazing ad to show exactly how useless a restraining order is against a criminal who doesn’t care about breaking one more law. The woman in the ad was begging a 911 operator for help. It’s been said so many times before, but when seconds count, the police are minutes away. I have been licensed to carry since 1991 and can carry in 33 states now. Anyone planning to do so should attending training lessons to learn to shoot, and to learn the legalities and responsibilities of concealed carry for self defense.

Aodhan on July 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM