Leaked “transcript”: Obama demands unilateral ceasefire from Netanyahu

posted at 4:01 pm on July 29, 2014 by Allahpundit

David Harsanyi and Philip Klein are right. No one talks like this. This might be a fair summary of what they said but it’s obviously not a transcript.

Barack Obama: I demand that Israel agrees to an immediate, unilateral ceasefire and halt all offensive activities, in particular airstrikes.

Benjamin Netanyahu: And what will Israel receive in exchange for a ceasefire?

BO: I believe that Hamas will cease its rocket fire — silence will be met with silence.

BN: Hamas broke all five previous ceasefires. It’s a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of Israel.

BO: I repeat and expect Israel to stop all its military activities unilaterally. The pictures of destruction in Gaza distance the world from Israel’s position.

It goes on, with O allegedly promising to have our terror-supporting friends Turkey and Qatar mediate with Hamas once Israel ceases fire, to which Netanyahu supposedly says, “I protest because Hamas can continue to launch rockets and use tunnels for terror attacks.” “I protest”? Jeffrey Goldberg imagines the rest of the conversation:

Another possibility: Maybe the “transcript” is just a few translated iterations of an actual transcript. Apparently an American source provided Israeli media with the original transcript, then it was translated into Hebrew, and then possibly translated back into English by someone else, leading to the odd, stilted rhetoric here.

In any case, Ben Rhodes says the whole thing is false, as does the National Security Council’s spokesman. Just as I’m writing this, Netanyahu’s office is claiming it’s false too. Is it possible that O demanded a unilateral ceasefire, though, irrespective of the language he used? Sure, why not? That atrocious ceasefire proposal that Kerry floated last weekend was a Turkey/Qatar wishlist of Israeli concessions to Hamas. A unilateral ceasefire would be another. If the “transcript” is a total fabrication, it remains plausible enough to have experts wondering only because of how Obama and Kerry have behaved so far:

Kerry’s initial plan was to support Egypt’s demand that Hamas accept a cease-fire. When Hamas balked at surrender and it was clear that Egypt lacked the clout to make the deal stick, Kerry turned to Turkey and Qatar, which as friends and financial backers of Hamas had more leverage. That put the deal first and a stable solution to Gaza’s problems second. The deal blew up anyway, victim of Israeli and Palestinian inability to get to yes.

By turning to Turkey and Qatar, Kerry also enhanced their position in the regional power game. That’s contrary to the interests and desires of the United States’ traditional allies, such as Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the moderate Palestinian camp headed by Abbas.

Maybe the Turks and Qataris demanded that Kerry at least offer their proposal as a condition of working on this going forward. They have leverage over Hamas; in theory, if not in practice, they’d be willing to use it and Obama needs their cooperation in trying to contain Syria and Iraq. He doesn’t want to be sucked into some wider confrontation between Israel and Turkey a la the Mavi Marmara flotilla disaster in 2010 — although he may have no choice — at a moment when the region’s attention should be focused on ISIS. The sooner he can get Israel to stop firing, even though Hamas retains a gigantic stockpile of rockets hidden in as-yet-undestroyed terror tunnels, the fewer opportunities Erdogan will have to coopt another Israel/Hamas confrontation for his own Islamist ends.

Via RCP, here’s Kerry talking about the many productive discussions he’s having with Netanyahu. Ahem.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama dislikes Israel. Netanyahu is understandably defiant. THAT’S not news.

Yet American Jews remain 80% in Obama’s corner. THAT’S schizophrenia.

MaiDee on July 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Now you’re citing Alan Dershowitz of all people as a disinterested party?

The man is one of the most notoriously right leaning Zionist hawks alive.

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM

He is a liberal.

You are an anti-Semite.

Resist We Much on July 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I offer this parody of a leaked Kerry/Netanyahu transcript, from back in March “EXCLUSIVE: Transcript of Kerry’s Phone Call to Netanyahu Complaining About Insults” http://wp.me/p2K2y0-8ud

PunditFaP on July 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM

No one talks like this.

Normal rules do not apply to His Messiahness.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I hope Israel told Obamamuslim to GF himself with a chainsaw.

Doomsday on July 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM

How about this as a faux press release:

In a surprising announcement, the UN stated that it saw no other way to protecct the peace-loving Palestinian Muslims in Gaza from the evil war mongering Israelis other than by relocating the Palestinians to more culturally advanced and peace-loving Muslim territories. The UN is providing relocation costs for residents of Gaza to their choice of Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Egypt, Nigeria, or Somalia.

Alternative faux announcement, the NYT and LATimes announced fundraising drives to cover relocation costs of the peace-loving downtrodden Muslim residents of the Gaza strip to areas controlled by fellow peace loving Muslims including Iraq, Syria, Libya, etc.

talkingpoints on July 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Allahpundit on July 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM

21:33
Hebrew transcript of Obama and Netanyahu’s phone call

Israel’s Channel 1 publishes a Hebrew transcript of a portion of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Barack Obama’s telephone conversation Sunday, in which Obama is insistent that Israel unilaterally halt all military activities in the Gaza Strip.
The following is an English translation of the Hebrew account of the talk given in the report :

Benjamin Netanyahu: And what will Israel receive in exchange for a ceasefire?

BN: Kerry’s proposal was completely unrealistic and gives Hamas military and diplomatic advantages.

BO: Within a week of the end of Israel’s military activities, Qatar and Turkey will begin negotiations with Hamas based on the 2012 understandings, including Israel’s commitment to removing the siege and restrictions on Gaza.

BN: Qatar and Turkey are the biggest supporters of Hamas. It’s impossible to rely on them to be fair mediators.

BO: I trust Qatar and Turkey. Israel is not in the position that it can choose its mediators.

BN: I protest because Hamas can continue to launch rockets and use tunnels for terror attacks –

BO: (interrupting Netanyahu) The ball’s in Israel’s court, and it must end all its military activities.

I can’t agree with you, Allah’. Or David Harsanyi, or Philip Klein.
That doesn’t mean I believe it’s true … only that I believe it’s ‘plausible.’

Barack Obama definitely would talk just like that, and I believe so would Ben.

BUT, repeating … that doesn’t mean I believe it’s true.

listens2glenn on July 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Whether this is a valid or accurate quote or not, I believe that the spirit of it is accurate.

I totally believe that Obama is capable of being such a bully and attempting to mau-mau Israel into surrendering.

georgej on July 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM

It should be quite obvious to anyone with a scintilla of observational acumen that the extreme right in the United States has embraced intellectual mediocrity to an embarrassing degree, not just in its executive branch nominations (Palin and Bush could never have found themselves anywhere near the levers of power in a functioning democracy) but more recently, in celebrating such charlatans as Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Rick Perry, etc.

If you had any experience with academia in the US, you would understand just how much contempt serious intellectuals hold for the right wing.

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Ah, geez. It will be laborious, but I will try to make sense of this word soup. Translation follows.

No, I can’t point to anything specific or provide examples, so I will simply claim obviousness and use the biggest words I can summon in an attempt to make myself sound like I know something about which I write.

I will lump Palin and Bush together as two examples of similarly uneducated imbeciles even though their educational backgrounds are completely different. I will further lament the fact the Bush and Cruz graduated from the very ivy league institutions which I adore, and will cry myself to sleep over the fact that Cruz has achieved more in his professional career than I or any of my fellow travelers ever will. The fact that Bush, for all his faults, did the same yields physical ailments upon my body and crushes my very soul.

My inability to reconcile Obama’s ignorance and incompetence ravages my being, so I choose to ignore those aspects of his performance.

I shall cling to academia as a true believer and remain ignorant of the fact that the halls of knowledge in the United States have become inferior to those abroad, because of their propensity to self-select for like-thinkers rather than seek out the best and brightest of the American populace. I will furthermore assume that none of the HotGas community attended or graduated from the schools I adore, and therefore cannot possibly comprehend the concept that some are as well-educated as I. Please do not inject the possibility that some conservatives attended superior private schools as compared to the ossified ivy league and addle my brain with such thoughts.

I think that about covers it.

stvnscott on July 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Prime Minister Netanyahu pays no heed to talking turds like obama.

Pork-Chop on July 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Like the intellectuals have done such a great damn job running things. GFY

Leopard1996 on July 29, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Obama’s problem is not that it’s real. His problem is that it’s thoroughly believable.

RBMN

Bingo.

Under Obama, it’s our enemies, not our allies, who have nothing to fear.

BD57 on July 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

georgej on July 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Sorry but that sounds an awful lot like Dan Rather and the George W Bush National guard memo.

As much As I would like to believe this about Obama I can’t get there yet.

notalemon on July 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Israel needs to tell this Islamic Extremist Sympathizer, “F@c% You!”

easyt65 on July 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

There is no such thing as a serious intellectual, especially in academia, which is where all the low-wattage narcissists congregate and wallow in tenure so that no one can challenge them and they can lord it over naive kids who do not challenge them.

Socialism fails every time it is applied. Yet the “serious intellectuals” are sure it will work the next time. I do believe that this is the very definition of insanity, isn’t it?

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM

low-wattage narcissists congregate and wallow in tenure

JtL FTW.

Kenosha Kid on July 30, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

It isn’t surprising to see a vacuous, ethically-challenged and morally corrupt anti-Semite such as yourself embrace the faux intellectualism that runs rampant in today’s universities, nor is it surprising that you would turn to so-called ‘academics’ who preach hatred (rather than impart knowledge) to reinforce your twisted worldview.

zoyclem on July 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Have you ever noticed how few universities let their Business Schools run their endowment funds?

PersonFromPorlock on July 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Too bad the only person with b—-s to stand up to Obambi happens to be from another country. Give em hell Benjamin Netanyahu.

generouse on July 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM

President Obama demanding Israel to cease fire and then their numerous enemies will also stop killing is wistful thinking.

President Obama is supporting Israel’s enemies with weapons. Is it because they are running out of men to use as suicide bombers. and now are enlisting their women, children ans asses to perform these missions.

Therefore, President Obama and the left are supporting to wrong side of the war because the President and his followers always follow the wrong side because they do not understand the facts of the current conflict. The fact – Islam hates everyone that does not kowtow to it.

MSGTAS on July 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I think that about covers it.

stvnscott on July 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Absolutely fabulous! Exactly correct to boot…cue the wailing and gnashing of teeth ; )

DebraChicago on July 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM

John the Libertarian on July 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM

+++100!

DebraChicago on July 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Trotsky on July 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Self-described “serious intellectuals” have no idea how utterly useless and unnecessary they are to everyone outside of academia. As for their contempt, should I be concerned that the average house fly might be contemptuous of me?

littleguy on July 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM

HAMAS has fired well over 2,000 rockets into Israel since 8 July and has rejected several Cease Fire offers. Forthermore they have sent an attack squad through an undiscovered tunnel to attack and kill Israeli citizens.

And Obama actually has the cahonies to tell Netenyahu ‘If you just stop DEFENDING YOURSELF HAMAS will stop attacking you’?!

If I were Netenyahu, at this oint I would have gotten up, told Obama, ‘You are either an ignorant S0B, an Islamic Extremist / Terrorist Sympathiser, or both. F* You and your unilateral Cease fire’, would have added John Kerry will not be allowed in Israel again – n one will meet with him or talk to him ever again, and then I would have walked out.

easyt65 on July 30, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Odumbo said “silence will be met with silence.” What a freakin fool. How stupid can our deal leader be. If that is his response he is dumber than dog sh#$

rjoco1 on July 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM