“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hail, hail, the gang’s all here

posted at 8:01 pm on July 28, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a sneak preview of the coming season. Actually, is the gang all here? Where are Carol and Maggie? I did see Glenn but it looks as though he’s a half-second from decapitation, a death that’s been hinted about and that would help the show shed some dead weight. But alas, it seems it’s not to be. I think he may end up as TWD’s Jesse Pinkman, the relatable character who’s destined to hang on until the bitter end even though the show would have profited from dumping him a bit earlier.

One thing I like here is the big-budget stuff. A show as successful as this one has no excuse not to stage more ambitious action scenes. More explosions, more urban warfare, more chaos with lots of extras roaming about while the machine guns pop — that’s the makings of a good payoff. (If they ever manage a sequence half as creepy/thrilling as the SWAT raid on the Philly project at the beginning of “Dawn of the Dead,” I’ll consider the dozens of hours I’ve invested in this show to have been worth it.) One thing I didn’t like is how many spoilers there are. A friend e-mailed me on Friday night complaining about that too. When last we saw them, the gang was trapped in a train car at Terminus, surrounded by guards. Looks from this like they (a) somehow blow the train door open, (b) get captured and sentenced to execution by beheading, (c) manage to talk the leader of Terminus into sparing them at the last minute and joining their mission to get to D.C. to find a cure to the zombie plague, and then (d) set off together towards Washington for yet another multi-episode arc of walking in the woods, hacking at the occasional zombie, and lots and lots and lots of talking. Right? Why do I even need to watch the series opener at this point?

Exit question: What is that blurry image that Rick sees at 17 seconds in? I assume fans of the comics know, but I don’t.

Comments

Is this getting ready to start again? yay.
These “zombies” are scaring the punk out of people.

Cindy Munford on July 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM

What is that blurry image that Rick sees at 17 seconds in?

My sense was that there was some cannibalism going on at Terminus … and that’s the local butcher preparing dinner from that corpse-man laying on the table …

ShainS on July 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM

a preseason grumble thread so early! Way to be proactive AP!!!

You know you can’t wait!!!

JinVA on July 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM

You know, shows I don’t like; I don’t watch….

JFKY on July 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Where are Carol and Maggie?

I saw glimpses of both.

Brat on July 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Hooray! TWD rises again (soon, anyway.) Did anyone see a barbed wired bat in the preview? My eyes are not what they used to be.

jazzuscounty on July 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Must be desperate for content. The show doesn’t restart for months.

When does Justified come on again?

What about Longmire?

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

[Glen] the relatable character who’s destined to hang on until the bitter end even though the show would have profited from dumping him a bit earlier.

Actually, the show would have benefitted tremendously if they had simply kept his character as it was in the first season – resourceful, smart, able to get in and out of almost anywhere while avoiding the Zombies to get almost anything that was needed.

Instead they turned him into a wuss unable to do much of anything. It’s a darned shame – he was actually quite likable the way he initially was – maybe that was the problem, the writers don’t believe anyone could be likable or competent or something.

Rational Db8 on July 28, 2014 at 8:21 PM

==========================================================

No idea,…his Doppelgänger thingy!!

canopfor on July 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Justified season 6 probably not on until January. I heard it will be the final season.

Brat on July 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Longmire’s on tonight with a new episode (might be the season finale).

Ruckus_Tom on July 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM

So our gang gets together with Terminus? Sounds more plausible than a minority GOP getting bipartisan with Harry Reid in the Senate (other than willingly becoming steaks and chops for the majority).

Evi L. Bloggerlady on July 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Oh AP. Ye of little faith. Maybe the whole Terminus episode is a headfake.

blatantblue on July 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

What about Longmire?

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

It’s been on for weeks. Only two episodes left…

ladyingray on July 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Longmire’s on tonight with a new episode (might be the season finale).

Ruckus_Tom on July 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Next week is the finale.

ladyingray on July 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Okay, but do they get David Bridges alive and pin everything on the casino builder and the ex-reservation police chief?

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Carol and Maggie are in there. Carol briefly at around the 43 second mark and very clearly at 2:03. You can see Maggie at the 50 second mark and then again at the 1:56 mark.
Yes. I’m a Walking Dead nerd.
*hangs head in shame*

NavyMom on July 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

When does Justified come on again?

What about Longmire?

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Toss in HELL ON WHEELS and you’ve go a damn good trifecta of Westerns!

Bruno Strozek on July 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Bruno Strozek on July 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

The jury is still out on that one.

They are taking some major liberties with an historically important event.

And the Star Trek guy isn’t doing it for me.

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Savage Rick is not a Rick to be messed with.

sorrowen on July 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM

A guy who bites out some dude’s jugular is genuinely a bad ass.

Evi L. Bloggerlady on July 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I’m half-way through season 3 of HOW on Netflix; I think it’s the best so far.

Yeah, I know they PC to much, but heck, even Longmire PC’s and I let it slide.

BTW, if you want good, non-PC western reads, try CJ Box. The Joe Pickett series is great and THE HIGHWAY will give you a good case of the creeps.

Bruno Strozek on July 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, you couldn’t find a poll to post?

Your incessant whining will earn you an early exit when the real zombie apocalypse commences.

Adjoran on July 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

The filter doesn’t like something about the Longmire response.

Does Branch bring his nemesis in alive? And does that answer the other questions?

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Don’t have cable, watch everything on Netflix so I’m a year behind.

I thought you liked LONGMIRE?

Am I missing something here?

Bruno Strozek on July 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I thought you liked LONGMIRE?

Bruno Strozek on July 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I do. But the response I wrote about Longmire earlier got eaten by the filter…four times.

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM

The butcher!

Blake on July 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM

What

3.14159 on July 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

What

3.14159 on July 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

When you round off, you miss the details.

cozmo on July 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM

This show still on?

V7_Sport on July 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

This show still on?

V7_Sport on July 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

You still here Sporto?

Judge_Dredd on July 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Who?

Mitoch55 on July 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I think I’m actually more interested in Beth’s story now.

topdawg on July 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM

In retrospect, I was rather hoping they would go for a hugely shocking death last season finale. Like Daryl. People would be PISSED, but it would have made the show a little more Game of Thrones-y. In that no one was safe….

So I hope that there is a few shocking ones this upcoming season. The show is overstuffed with cast members.

mjk on July 29, 2014 at 12:17 AM

mjk on July 29, 2014 at 12:17 AM

As long as they don’t kill off Eugene’s mullet, I’m fine.

topdawg on July 29, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Who?

Mitoch55 on July 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

It was a reference to the other AMC show “Breaking Bad.”

TigerPaw on July 29, 2014 at 1:00 AM

mjk on July 29, 2014 at 12:17 AM

They have already had shocking or sad deaths. One of the stand out things about this show that people have remarked on, including professional tv critics/journalists is how often this show kills off main characters.

For as much griping people did over Lori Grimes (I never hated her), they sure cried a lot of sincere tears over her death (I saw it live tweeted the night of the episode). People who had extreme negative feelings about Lori Grimes were still shocked and saddened by her death.

Merle Dixon was killed off, as was T-Dog, Shane, Dale, Andrea, and a few others along the way.

TigerPaw on July 29, 2014 at 1:03 AM

I may be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure I saw a brief glimpse of Beth in one of the Walking Dead previews on the internet.

Also, I think the actress who plays Beth was at the recent San Diego Comic Con Walking Dead panel, with the other actors, so I would assume that means her character is alive at the start of season 5.

I like the show, but I was worn out by the Maggie and Glenn romance early on. I guess I am not too interested in romance in the zombie apocalypse.

One of the exceptions for me personally in this area might be seeing Rick Grimes get a new girl friend or wife in the ZA (zombie apocalypse), since his wife was killed and he went almost crazy mourning over her. It would might be interesting to see how he handles a woman showing romantic interest in him in the apocalypse.

But I don’t want to see the Daryl Dixon character get a wife or girlfriend, and gimme a break, I wish the “Caryl” (Carol + Daryl) and “Bethyl” (Beth + Daryl) shippers would shut up about pairing Daryl up. His character works best as a lone wolf, and it is so cliched to match every last person up on a show or movie.

In real life, too, the actress who plays Beth is about 19, or 20 years of age, and the actor who plays Daryl is about 46 or 47 years old now, so a big no on those two hooking up on the show.

If the show insists on fixing Daryl Dixon up with a woman, they better get someone closer to his age (and no, I don’t mean Carol. She seems more like his Auntie than a love interest).

TigerPaw on July 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Emily Kinney, who plays Beth, turns 29 years old next month. That songbird is not quite a spring chicken.

derit on July 29, 2014 at 4:38 AM

Yes. I’m a Walking Dead nerd.
*hangs head in shame*

NavyMom on July 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Maybe we can find a 12 step program

Franklin100 on July 29, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I agree with Big Fur Hat over at iOTW: Enough with this childish obsession with zombies already.

xstatic on July 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Okay. So Allah wants to know where are Carol and Maggie? And what’s that blurry image Rick sees?

:17 Sounds like/looks like someone being dismembered by a Terminus resident.

:43 Carol walking in the woods with the group

:50 Maggie walking behind Glenn

Sheesh. Do I have to do all the work for you blogger guys? ;-)

Pilgrimsarbour on July 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM