Walsh: Blaming PTSD for my plagiarism was kind of a speak-o

posted at 4:01 pm on July 26, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Senator John Walsh had the worst week in Washington, as the Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza wrote yesterday, and not just for getting caught plagiarizing his Army War College master’s thesis. His office put out a “fact sheet” that claimed Walsh had survived “hundreds” of IED attacks, and Walsh himself claimed PTSD was a contributing factor to his plagiarism.  Walsh’s office had to issue a “clarification” retreating from both claims when the Post’s Aaron Blake ripped them to shreds. Yahoo News’ Chris Moody followed up with a brief interview with Senator Walsh, who faced a daunting election effort even before the scandal broke. In the interview, Walsh clarified that he’s never been officially diagnosed with PTSD anyway, but just symptoms of it.

Call it a “speak-o”:

Two days after Sen. John Walsh suggested he may have plagiarized a graduate school paper because of post-traumatic stress disorder, he told a Montana radio host that wasn’t the case.

“I am in no way, no way, tying what I did to any type of PTSD,” the Montana Democrat said in a Friday interview with KMMS radio in Bozeman. “That had nothing to do with the mistake that I made. … I may have said that, if that was the thought of that, that’s not at all in any way what I meant or said.”

That’s a change from what he said on Wednesday, hours after the New York Times broke the story that Mr. Walsh borrowed liberally from other sources for a 14-page paper at the Army War College. Mr. Walsh had said he was under a great deal of stress following the deaths of members of his military unit.

In fact, Walsh explicitly linked the plagiarism to PTSD in an interview with the Associated Press on Wednesday:

Walsh told The Associated Press when he wrote the thesis, he had PTSD from his service in Iraq, was on medication and was dealing with the stress of a fellow veteran’s recent suicide.

“I don’t want to blame my mistake on PTSD, but I do want to say it may have been a factor,” the senator said. “My head was not in a place very conducive to a classroom and an academic environment.”

Walsh insists that his still-officially-undiagnosed PTSD won’t affect his work, but there’s two problems with that claim. First, Walsh used it to avoid blame for his serious ethical violation earlier at the Army War College, which he’s all but conceding now. Second, that’s not the issue anyway. The issue is about Walsh’s integrity, and the continuing series of claims and clarifications makes that issue more and more clear — to any observer, and certainly to Montana voters.

Comments

Weird-o.

Flange on July 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

My only ? is: Did he come up with the PTSD excuse on his own…?

fortcoins on July 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

God I hate weasels .

Lucano on July 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Maybe he was afraid-o, or sauced?

Flange on July 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Veterans respond.

Eat more shit, Ned, you plagiarist. I hope you never get out of obama’s azz.

Schadenfreude on July 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Speak-o is a regular feature of politics. Can he survive and stay on the ticket, or will he leave-o for the good of the Democrat party?

MTF on July 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Have you ever noticed the similarity between Demorats and Muslims? They both lie if it is for their goal of taking over the system and having total power. The Muzzies call it Taqiyya but the Dims call it good intentions.

inspectorudy on July 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He mixed up PTSD with POS.

batterup on July 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

You could call it a speak-o.

Or you could be blunt and describe the lying sack of feces for what he is.

s1im on July 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM

He mixed up PTSD with POS.

batterup on July 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

This!

Doomsday on July 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Time for the Dems to pull a New Jersey where they let one candidate absorb all the negative advertising and at the last minute (or past it in the case of Toricelli) put in a clean candidate without all the mud while the GOP candidate has to carry all the mud dumped on him by the slime ball who exited stage very far left.

KW64 on July 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Even CNN did a negative story on him yesterday. He’s going to lose badly in November.

cat_owner on July 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

inspectorudy on July 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Great post.

faraway on July 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM

inspectorudy on July 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

So why would anyone, anywhere, even a fellow Democrat or Muslim, ever trust a Democrat or Muslim in anything where a lie would be to the liar’s advantage?

I think Democrats have learned not to trust each other. Muslims probably have too.

Yet Republican leaders keep getting duped by everybody. Anyone want to bet their average IQ is over 60?

s1im on July 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Bad week, but he’s a half-a** replacement senator who’s going to get buried in November.

I still think that POS Gruber had the worst week, unless you’re arguing that Gruber was not physically located in DC so that you arguing he had the worst week wherever he was located.

BuckeyeSam on July 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Dem colleagues to one another: “Great. We get a military guy to stand in for Baucus, and he turns out to be a bigger POS than any of us.”

BuckeyeSam on July 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Not surprising at all.

The last honest Democrat was a 106 year old woman in Alabama, but she died.

The rest of them are corrupt to their very dead souls.

Adjoran on July 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Shameless. Wonder if he’s runnin’ for preezy on the dem ticket next.

Rational Thought on July 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Walsh plagiarize or created an 18 page thesis.

Obama gave him a SOLID B+.

jukin3 on July 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Lying crapweasel, like all Dem/lib/socialist/Marxist douchebags.

battalion on July 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I remember when PTSD was called “shell-shock” and “battle fatigue”. But even then, the urge to commit plagiarism was the classic telltale symptom.

whatcat on July 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

“Vote for me, I’m unstable.”

Akzed on July 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I deal with people who have actually been diagnosed by the VA with PTSD on an almost daily basis and there is one thing they pretty much have in common, they generally don’t blame their stupid mistakes on their PTSD.

Just sayin…..

Johnnyreb on July 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM

whatcat on July 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Funny!

I’ve seen footage from WWI of a guy under his sickbay bed, shaking uncontrollably, plagiarizing.

Akzed on July 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Walsh: ‘If only I were running in Connecticut!’

Resist We Much on July 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Walsh: ‘Or in Massachusetts!’

Resist We Much on July 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Walsh: ‘Or even in Delaware!’

Resist We Much on July 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Funny!

Akzed on July 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

You joke, but you’ve never walked through the Plagiarism Ward at a VA hospital. Heartbreaking.

whatcat on July 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM

He’ll be fine, just needs to pop one of those blue Ocare pills….

hillsoftx on July 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM

If he breaks his shovel while digging will anyone hand him another?

RickinNH on July 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Trash.

CW on July 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM

whatcat on July 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Still laughing! My friend, you win the internet today.

Dolce Far Niente on July 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I, too, survived hundreds of IED attacks. I did this by getting out in 1989 after my 3 years were up. Can I claim PTSD?

malclave on July 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Another lie-o.

PattyJ on July 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM

PTSD can cause fear of loud noises, for example, but I never heard, before now anyway, of PTSD causing fear of quotation marks and footnotes.

VorDaj on July 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Conduct unbecoming an officer. These aren’t the standards of “selfless service” and all that crap they fed us when I was a young United States Army officer. As with so many things in our society, that stuff is just for the underlings-not the big shots.

I would hope that DOD is looking into his retirement pay.

Naw. Politics.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Who did this guy hire for a PR man, Mark Sanford?

pain train on July 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Just as it’s not the crime, but the coverup that’s worse, as with Nixon’s Watergate and Obama’s IRSgate and F-and-F=gate, and Benghazi-gate, Obama-gates et all, the pathetic excuse making this micro-small “man” is making is worse than all his plagiarism.

VorDaj on July 26, 2014 at 5:29 PM

But officer, you have got to let me off with just a warning for speeding as I have PTSD. Well, OK, speeding, and running a red light and almost running someone over, but who’s counting as I have PTSD!!! You pig! You should be thanking me for my service!

VorDaj on July 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM

KW64 on July 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Why even bother? They’re not gonna win this race anyway. New Jersey was a situation where they had to violate the law and replace their candidate if they wanted to avoid handing a blue Senate seat over to the GOP.

Doughboy on July 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM

The one thing PTSD does not make you lose is your ethics.

This guy has none.

He is an ass-o.

ajacksonian on July 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Walsh: “OK, that first story was stupid. How about a shiny new one?”

Meremortal on July 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I am part of a wounded warriors support group for REAL warriors suffering from PTSD and severe burn/blast injuries and traumatic brain injuries. To a man and woman, they despise this poseur. And for the record, I do NOT suffer from PTSD.

Chowderhead123 on July 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM

VorDaj on July 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Waking up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night screaming ” In-text citation!!!”. Horrible thing to endure.

whatcat on July 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM

The one thing PTSD does not make you lose is your ethics.

This guy has none.

He is an ass-o.

ajacksonian on July 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM

This is how General Dickweed made it through the officer ranks to general. You don’t think he’s alone in this appalling behavior, do you now? doing whatever they can to get locked in to that precious retirement pension. ME ME ME ME and screw everyone else.

There are plenty of senior NCOs like this as well.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 26, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Day O, day O
Daylight come and me wan’ go home
Day, me say day, me say day, me say day
Me say day, me say day O
Daylight come and me wan’ go home

claudius on July 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Great post.

faraway on July 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I’ll second that.

dogsoldier on July 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM

This lying, cheating bum is full of more crap than a holiday turkey. Somebody save this poor sick Republic . . . please.

rplat on July 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM

alive, alive-o
alive, alive-o
calling “white-out and
Type-o’s”
alive, alive-o

partsnlabor on July 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM

whatcat on July 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM

One word: semi-colon.

PattyJ on July 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Just admit that you’re a POS fraud and step off..

What ever happened to Integrity?

Key West Reader on July 26, 2014 at 8:04 PM

whatcat you rule !

Lucano on July 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

This returning vet
Sells comrades down the river
To win news cycle

This sort of careless talk is terrible for returning vets.

First of all, it plays into the public prejudice that returning veterans are unstable and could explode at any minute. A listener could be forgiven for concluding that vets obviously have no self control, because of the horrors they have witnessed.

Furthermore, it makes them much less attractive to prospective employers. according to this model, every time a returning vet screws up or is caught with his hand in the till, you can count on him screaming about PTSD, and accusing the employer of not accommodating his disability. Who wants to sign on for that?

Vets have a tough row to hoe, without having idiots like this making it tougher.

Haiku Guy on July 26, 2014 at 9:22 PM

It appears that, at least amongst Democrats, a “speak-o” (or should it be speako), can either be true or false.

For example, the so-called “speak-o” claimed by Jonathan Gruber was an example of a highly accurate “speak-o” which he is now lying about. He stupidly blurted back then in 2012 and told the truth about what the ACA statute quite plainly said — and continues to say.

Notwithstanding the obvious fact that he is now trying to disavow the consequences of what he truthfully said back then, the “speak-o” itself was accurate.

However, in the case of John Walsh, his “speak-o” was an out-and-out falsehood. The obvious negative reaction to his attempted PTSD fib has now caused him to try to backtrack. His “speak-o” was quite plainly false, and he is desperately trying to come clean without openly admitting that he lied.

Trochilus on July 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM

+100. Well played, sir.

I’d like to thank the governor of Montana for appointing Mr Walsh to the Senate, to finish Mr Baucus’ term. And, more importantly, to finish Democrats’ chances of taking the position in November.
I don’t think Rove and Priebus could even make UP a dream opponent like this guy.

orangemtl on July 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM

The epa has been in our state looking for weasels. I think we just found one. Brian Schweitzer is waiting in the wings for Walsh to suspend his campaign. He can’t replace him on the ballot but I’ll bet he could pull a Murkowski and ask for voters to write him in. Walsh had been found to have misused his position in the Mt Natl Guard in an unethical manner. Gov. Schweitzer pooh poohed the finding at the time and praised him for his service. Don’t think he’s issued any comments yet on this.

Kissmygrits on July 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM

The term “speak-o” is pretty dumb-o, as are the people who’ve been using it.

flataffect on July 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM

A speako is like a typo excepto it’s plain lying is the only slighto difference o.

Sherman1864 on July 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM

And speako was his name o!

Sherman1864 on July 26, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Does PTSD cause you to lose the ability to distinguish the truth from a lie? If so, maybe Barack Obama has PTSD from his hazardous service as a community organizer.

IndieDogg on July 27, 2014 at 4:19 AM

It’s obvious this man is unfit for public office. Institutionalize him.

zoyclem on July 27, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Ed,
Why is the word “DEMOCRAT” not plastered all over this entry?
Please explain.