Gallup: Obama’s job approval hits 39 percent, tied for his all-time low

posted at 6:21 pm on July 25, 2014 by Allahpundit

It’s the top story on Drudge as I write this. His worst-ever job approval recorded by Gallup was 39/55 in mid-March of this year. Today’s number: 39/54. Four days ago he was at 44/49, which naturally sent me into an eeyore spiral about the midterms. What could cause a five-point swing in less than a week? True to eeyorish form, my suspicion is that it’s noise: Only one other poll this month has had him below 40 percent approval, and Rasmussen has him as high as 46 percent today.

It could be, though, that he’s taking flak belatedly for the sturm und drang abroad. The MH17 shootdown happened eight days ago; maybe Americans withheld judgment at first as the facts were sorted out, but the clearer it became that this was more aggression by Russian proxies, the more O took a hit for having failed to rein Putin in. It could also be that as the Gaza war drags on, Obama’s caught in the middle between the pro-Israel wing of his base that thinks the administration is hostile to Tel Aviv (see, e.g., Mike Bloomberg’s comments about the FAA’s no-flight policy) and the Palestinian sympathizers on the left who think Obama’s being led around by the nose by those damned Zionists again. Some Democrats who’d normally be in his corner are bound to be alienated by whatever the White House does here. It’s hard for foreign policy to make the presidential needle move (or at least make it move durably), but a new cold war with Moscow and a new hot war involving Israel could do it. Temporarily.

In fact, via the Corner, here’s a fun number:

A CNN/ORC International poll found that 13 percent of Democrats it surveyed want to impeach President Obama. Those Democrats are joined by 57 percent of Republicans and 35 percent of independents who support impeaching the president, according to CNN…

And the greater amount of respondents who support Obama’s impeachment did not do so lightly. CNN found that 79 percent of those surveyed answered that, in general, Congress should only attempt impeachment against any sitting president for a “very serious crime” such as treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

A similar number of Dems (12 percent) support Boehner’s lawsuit against Obama. Er, who are those Democrats? CNN’s story didn’t dig deeper to find out but I’m curious to know. My guess is that they’re lefties piqued at O not for his offenses against separation of powers, a la Jonathan Turley, but for his interventions abroad and his NSA policies, a la Glenn Greenwald. Not part of the group that’s driven down his approval only lately, needless to say.

Comments

Still too high.

KCB on July 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM

So many racists.

faraway on July 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Ned of HA
Plagiarist extraordinaire

will dispute

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Despite having a Democrat Media propping him up 24/7 since 2007, it’s only taken O’bama slightly longer than it took his predecessor to get this low.

And his predecessor was never propped up by that Democrat Media, which speaks volumes.

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Er, who are those Democrats?

I always want to know who the Rs are who voted for obama.

Can you imagine a dumber lot in all of history?

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Batting .390 and on the way to the Hall Of Fame.

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Alternate headline: 4 in 10 Americans are Masochists

Kataklysmic on July 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

obama will always be worse than Carter and “chimpey”.

This is the ultimate mockery of obama and history.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Makes no difference. America will still elect Obama II (a.k.a. Elizabeth Warren) in 2016. The GOP will ensure that.

KS Rex on July 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM

If you disagree with his Highness (as in choomed) you’re not patriotic.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:26 PM

LilliPutin begs for a 3rd term of obama.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

IS (former ISIS) and the open border will kill you.

obama owns both.

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM

His predecessor was constantly attacked by the press. I remember reading the new London Day newspaper when we lived there and they had a “countdown to the end of this Failed Presidency” calendar feature running a few times almost two years before he left.

Johnnyreb on July 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Maybe it’s time for President Jarrett to step forward.

GarandFan on July 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Wait until the 39% read that Obama let AlQaeda 2.0 take over part of Iraq and Syria.

faraway on July 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Let me just remind you people where we are. Re-read stories about Elizabeth Warren and reflect on the fact that former Obama officials are attacked from the left, and the attackers are not at all completely unreasonable in their expectation of public support. In other words, there is a segment of US population that think that Obama is bad because he is too right-wing.

Now please resume celebration of the latest poll numbers.

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

This must be one or those newfangled poll-o numbers.

can_con on July 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

How about private health care that government stays the hell out of?

sharrukin on July 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I don’t think we will ever see Zero go below 37%, no matter what he does. I think it is he floor.

KCB on July 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:28 pm PBH

Talk to Dingy Hairy. He’s the party of no.

can_con on July 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM

faraway on July 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM

They don’t read.

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM

7-10 point of his 37% are afraid to be against him because of the label “Racist” be applied to them.

portlandon on July 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM

KCB on July 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Once Americans get a load of this and start seeing illegals take jobs it might.

Judge_Dredd on July 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM

This will really hurt Barry in the 2016 election.

He doesn’t care anymore, having never to face the voters again. Now Soetoro can build his legacy unencumbered by the opposition of an electorate who figured out far too late just how mangy was that pig in a poke they bought in 2008 and 2012.

Importing a proletariat from Latin America to guarantee a permanent democratic socialist majority devoted to race-based caudilloism is a great place to start, what with the ACA not functioning as advertised.

MidniteRambler on July 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

If you have a problem with your healthcare I suggest talking to a doctor or nurse. Not a politician.

And Obamacare is about Insurance not Healthcare.

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I don’t think we will ever see Zero go below 37%, no matter what he does.

More like 13% for Zero’s absolute floor in approval ratings.

MidniteRambler on July 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

race-based caudilloism

MidniteRambler on July 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Caudilloism. Is that bad?

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Good point. In fact it was the complete opposite with the media and Bush.

cat_owner on July 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Awww, somebody’s tired.

Chuck Schick on July 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

KCB on July 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I’m thinking it could drop a few more points, but there are lots of leftists who will support him no matter what. So likely close to as low as it will go.

cat_owner on July 25, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Still too high.

KCB on July 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I know that was funny, but I think this is pretty accurate, been saying if for years.

10% of the people are just nuts, so they will vote whichever way.
13% are dedicated black voters, they won’t vote anything but Obama,no matter…
So now we are at a solid 23%, unshakeable, can’t get below that no matter what.

Now add 12% tried and blue, never voted for anyone but a dem in their life, and never will change that no matter what.

We are at 35%, can’t get below that, most would not have the black vote so it would be maybe 25-30% floor.

But Obama is 35% base, not moving won’t be less ever, so he is only getting 4% of what is left, and that is not very much at all, those are “independents” who are liberal minded, maybe white guilt, or 4% just don’t have a clue, but not a very high %.

That 13% is a huge buffer, that keeps his number higher.

right2bright on July 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Caudilloism. Is that bad?

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Caudillo is a Spanish term for a leader who builds a following based on charisma and personal loyalty. Caudilloism is the system, common in Latin America, that encourages such strongmen to be the guiding force in national politics.

The caudillo rejects parliamentary politics, preferring rule by decree and/or military force, carried out by his band of followers personally loyal to him. Think Hugo Chavez for but one of many examples.

MidniteRambler on July 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

It is going to get worse. I just read over at Fox Business that most economists are looking for at least 3% GDP growth for Q2 in next weeks Fed data dump. This far along on his second term some of the blame is really going to start sticking to Obama and affect his poll numbers.

Johnnyreb on July 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

RE:I am glad these numbers came out and obstruct the utter lack of alternative proposals by Republicans on any relevant topic from healthcare to Ukraine. I know my healthcare will improve if I only call Obama a loser once more.

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Lest we forget, Tort reform, allowing Health Ins to be sold accross state lines (portability)… 2 of the easiest ways to see premiums actually decrease…but for some reason none of that was discussed by the Dems …

Von Kleist on July 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM

And Obamacare is about Insurance not Healthcare.

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM

OK. Obama policies have no effect on my healthcare. I see. I now roughly understand why we are where we are.

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Gee, Allah sounds so sad.

What could cause a five-point swing in less than a week?

2 words:

Bor Der.

formwiz on July 25, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Von Kleist on July 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I remember all of these. You tell me your estimate of the percentage of the general population who have any clue about what the hell you have just said.

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Meh … I doubt they factored in the millions of dead Dems who vote.

ShainS on July 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

About the same percentage of Congress who “read the bill” and voted for it.

Judge_Dredd on July 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

And yet, above that same link on Drudge is a Time piece on his coming executive actions on immigration reform, a topic on which he gets a blistering 31% approval on. The guy doesn’t care about these numbers…kings usually don’t.

changer1701 on July 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Like being told you will now be mandated to eat cat shiite sandwiches everyday and then complaining that no one is giving you any real alternatives to cat shiite sandwiches.

You never question the mandates, only the cat shiite, why is that?

Bishop on July 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Articles of Impeachment were being drafted against Nixon for less…

Newtie and the Beauty on July 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Noise?

I think the rat-eared wonder will rebound but let’s take a look at those four days. MH17 and situation in Ukraine escalated. Israel is still conducting a ground war in Gaza. The filthy invaders remain streaming over the border at Obama’s invitation. And all Obama did was go on the party circuit raising money for Democrats. John Kerry failed to broker a peace deal in Israel. Putin is openly mocking America. So why would Obama’s number bump up?

Or did I miss something that he accomplished?

And BTW, donning the mom jeans and bike helmet are not going to help when he and his disgusting family spend millions of tax dollars on vacation will not help either.

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM

You never question the mandates, only the cat shiite, why is that?

Bishop on July 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Who told you I never questioned mandates?

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Articles of Impeachment were being drafted against Nixon for less…

Newtie and the Beauty on July 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Articles of Impeachment were drafted against Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton for less. One of them a serial rapist and at least one of them showed up for his Inauguration so drunk he made an incoherent speech.

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I always want to know who the Rs are who voted for obama.

Can you imagine a dumber lot in all of history?

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Well, let’s see…Peggy Noonan, David Brooks, Douglas Kmiec, Christopher Buckley…

Yup. J@ck@sses all.

Kensington on July 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yeah but that wasn’t rape-rape.

Judge_Dredd on July 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Who told you I never questioned mandates?

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 7:06 PM

The fact that you believe there aren’t any GOP alternatives out there for Dog Eater’s schemes, as evidenced by your earlier comment, led me to believe you enjoy cat shiite sandwich mandates.

Why…I’ll bet there are even GOP proposals which suggest repealing the DeathCare mandate.

Bishop on July 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I’m sorry. I meant to write “USELESS j@ck@asses all.”

Sorry for the confusion.

Kensington on July 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

And what is YOUR plan on Ukraine? Is it similar to Obama plan, which has so far been to do jack-all while Putin funnels troops and heavy arms over the border? How about this administration’s bright idea to talk incessantly about sanctions, telegraphing everything well in advance so that the potential targets have ample opportunity to shift money to relatives and find the massive loopholes? Or maybe another poorly translated Reset button?

This is “flexibility,” alas the only time Obama opened his mouth without uttering a lie. Wonder why this is? Funny how I’ve seen Obama make no more stands for liberty than Putin. From one party of crooks and thieves to another I guess…

Gingotts on July 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM

And how many points oversampled are the dems in the survey?

dogsoldier on July 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM

“All your mandates are belong to us.”

—– Smirking Benedict “Eat my taxes, Peons !” Roberts the Slimy Robed Legislator

viking01 on July 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM

10 points too high, but he still has 2+ more years in office.

albill on July 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM

CNN found that

Seriously? They could find their own asses with a map, a flashlight and a friend to guide them.

dogsoldier on July 25, 2014 at 7:14 PM

could not

dogsoldier on July 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM

And how many points oversampled are the dems in the survey?

dogsoldier on July 25, 2014 at 7:12 PM

You can be sure DNC / Gallup is pulling out all the stops for their beloved preznit.

viking01 on July 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yeah but that wasn’t rape-rape.

Judge_Dredd on July 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Well, in the future you can explain that Obama wasn’t impeached because it wasn’t high crimes-high crimes. ;0

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

CNN found that

Seriously? They could not find their own asses with a map, a flashlight and a friend to guide them.

dogsoldier on July 25, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Dogsoldier, I think you’re watching HBO instead of CNN. I’m pretty sure I saw that episode last week. ;0

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM

We’ve never had a tactical flashlight discussion here for those of us who are addicted to the things.

Instead of cheese on the next open thread we should discuss tac lights.

Bishop on July 25, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Happy Nomad on July 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Impeachment isn’t the answer. Limiting these phony voting “rights” is. There is no “right to vote” spelled out in the Constitution. The Supreme Court has ruled this way on many occasions. It’s time to deny people access to the ballot box.

Judge_Dredd on July 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM

MidniteRambler on July 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Yeah but doesn’t a Caudillo need to be a Macho? That leaves out Obama so who are these “new citizens” going to follow?

I can’t think of any Dem politician that might be considered a Macho. Maybe Kerry, in a French sort of way.

Wait, I’m forgetting Hillary. Nevermind.

kcewa on July 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM

39%…….and he is still WINNING !
Hay carumba mi personas de la Aire Caliente!

FlaMurph on July 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Johnnyreb on July 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Bush was under attack by the press even before he became President. They immediately rushed down to Florida to recount the votes and try to prove that he really lost that state, but to their horror their recount actually gave Bush more votes. The only way they could recount them so Gore would win was by applying a ridiculously narrow vote-counting standard-one that no court would have ever approved, and one that Gore himself had never asked for.

And don’t forget the breathless Democrat Media countdowns to the 1,000th, 2,000th, 3000th, and 4000th US troop deaths in Iraq on Bush’s watch.

Contrast that to the total sound of crickets from that same Democrat Media starting in 2009. Since O’bama took office, over 4 times as many US military members have been killed in Afghanistan. And more of them died in O’bama’s first two years as “Commander in Chief” than died in all 8 years Chimpy Bush was in charge.

And in 2010, when the number of KIA in Afghanistan passed 1,000, there was a total sound of crickets by that same Democrat Media. Likewise in 2012, when the number passed 2,000.

BTW be sure to go back to visit New London in a few years. They just broke ground on the new US Coast Guard Museum there!

Del Dolemonte on July 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM

He doesn’t care.

crosshugger on July 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I always want to know who the Rs are who voted for obama.

Can you imagine a dumber lot in all of history?

Schadenfreude on July 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I’ve run across a few ignorant Republicans that voted for Clinton the first time around, “because they just didn’t trust Bush.” I’ve also run across a few ignorant Democrats that voted for Obama because they don’t realize all their values line up with conservatives/libertarians. But I’ve never come across any Republicans that voted for Obama. They must be spineless weasels who thought they had to prove to themselves they weren’t racist.

UnstChem on July 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

As a noted radio personality exclaimed today (paraphrasing) – “this administration has turned out worse than I could ever have imagined.” The world is falling apart and Obama’s reaction is zero (in fact, it’s falling apart precisely because he failed to act decisively in so many places and in so many ways,, its unfathomable). I did not vote for him twice (after checking out his history – not impressed by his resume, to say the least). As that commentator said, all of my worst fears and more have come to pass. But that’s nothing to the dead and dying throughout the world because of this man’s utter incompetence and lack of vision and leadership. Weep America. Weep.

pacificisland on July 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Obama is William Ayers goal.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Obama has not even had a single 3 day period at a net even in his Gallup tracking numbers since the day before Ted Cruz read him Green Eggs and Ham and we shut down the Government in late September back in 13. The shutting down of the Government was the beginning of America’s disdain of the one. Who woulda thunk.

KMav on July 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM

PBH on July 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

And yet you are perfectly fine with Harry Reid……Obamas puppet….. Sitting on and refusing to even debate around 400 bills that the House has passed that address a myriad of ills for NO other reason than the House is led by Republicans…. Not a single word about the never seen to this degree Democrat obstructionism and that they are the party of No. That’s just peachy keen to you huh.

The hypocrisy and utter ignorance of you lefties is something to behold. You know not a single thing unless it is fed to you as todays twisted talking points. Bet you still think if you like your plan and doctor you can keep it period.

Caseoftheblues on July 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Still a good split between approve/disapprove, -15. If only that number corresponded to an election…

54% against vs. 39% for

Gymistokles on July 26, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Pick any dystopian or apocalyptic novel, movie or whatever.
There is always a mass of crazed and ignorant followers on the side of evil, such as the participants in the Two Minutes of Hate in 1984, the audience in the Thunderdome, or crowds orgiastically shouting Ave Satani in stories of that bent.

The 39% are that crowd.