Meriam Ibrahim lands in Italy, on way to US; Update: Meets with Pope Francis

posted at 8:01 am on July 24, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

There’s plenty of bad news already coming over the transom today and we’ll get to all of it, but one story we’ve followed here has a happy ending. Meriam Yahia Ibrahim, the woman sentenced to death in Sudan for her Christian faith, has left Khartoum and landed in Rome, greeted by Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi at the airport. Italy helped the US mediate her release with Sudanese officials in a quiet effort launched a few weeks ago:

Mariam Yehya Ibrahim, the Sudanese Christian woman sentenced to death in Sudan for apostasy but subsequently pardoned, arrived in Rome on Thursday, the Italian Foreign Ministry said.

Ibrahim “will remain in Italy for a short time and then will travel on to the United States,” the ministry said. …

[Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs Lapo] Pistelli said Italy had become involved in the case because, as a Catholic country, it was very moved by Ibrahim’s story and wanted to help.

Italy has good relations with Khartoum and offered to help the U.S. Embassy there to speed up the process of getting U.S. passports for Ibrahim and her family to leave the country, the minister said.

Pistelli said he had traveled to Sudan two weeks ago to start the process but it was not finalized until Wednesday night.

He posted an image to his Facebook page of himself with Ibrahim and the two infants, apparently taken on board the plane shortly before their arrival in Rome. “Mission accomplished,” he wrote.

Pistelli told the press that Pope Francis had been kept informed of the progress of their efforts, and planned on meeting Ibrahim while she was in Italy. The Vatican would not confirm or deny this, but said any private meeting would not get comment in the future either. For the moment, though, the government of Italy will keep Ibrahim and her family under protection — a wise move given the circumstances of her departure.

This raises some interesting questions about how Italy and the US managed to get her out of the country without causing a huge headache for Islamist dictator Omar al-Bashir.  His regime has managed to alienate most of Sudan already except for the radical Islamists, which includes Ibrahim’s stepbrother, who wanted her executed as an honor killing. The case drew a ton of attention inside and outside of Sudan, with Bashir’s Islamist credentials potentially at risk if he allowed Ibrahim to flee — which is likely why his secret police seized her at the airport when she tried to leave on her own, and why Ibrahim ended up at the US embassy looking for asylum. Either Bashir will face angry questions from Ibrahim’s family and other hard-line Islamists over her release, or other arrangements were made with the family.

However it happened, kudos to the Italian government for their intercession and success. Prayers have certainly been answered in this case, one bright spot in a bleak season of persecution for Christians. Hopefully, the US will get a chance to welcome Ibrahim and her children to the US soon, but let’s also hope that Ibrahim has a chance to enjoy Italian hospitality while the opportunity presents itself.

Update: Looks like the Vatican acted with alacrity to bring Meriam to meet Pope Francis:

Wonderful.

Comments

Happy to see that there is something good happening in this world.

Unbelievable that it came to smuggling her out of the country, and the MSM calls Islam a religion of peace…

NerwenAldarion on July 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Unfortunately there are thousands of muzzie nutters in the United States that would be more than willing to carry out her death sentence.

I am glad that she made it here but for the good of her and her family she needs to find a place to disappear.

ConstantineXI on July 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Finally… :)

Insert Semi-Retired Presidentism of the Day in 40 minutes.

22044 on July 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Thank God Italy and the Vatican took the lead on this and got it done.

forest on July 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Awesome!

3h
Sudanese woman who was spared death sentence for renouncing Islam has flown to Italy http://t.co/QGsekDCNUP http://t.co/cDs4p2nScE – @BBCBreaking

canopfor on July 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Good! Now let’s work on helping Christians get out of Iraq, Syria, etc.

iceman1960 on July 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Oh yeah! That just made me smile.

gophergirl on July 24, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Guaranteed that she’ll have to endure a phone call and/or visit with America’s rat-eared dictator where he will once again make the claim that he is a Christian……. Even as he and our government have remained silent as Iraqi Christians are facing extermination or removal from their home of two millenia.

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2014 at 8:11 AM

ConstantineXI on July 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

That’s the first thing I thought of. There is evil everywhere now and plenty of it here. But good news and way to go Italy.

crankyoldlady on July 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Really look at the top she is wearing & don’t get me started (again) on her wedding photo’s!
(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Excellent news

And given that she’s in Europe.

rbj on July 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Awesomes even better!

canopfor on July 24, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Just curious as to where her husband is. Is he traveling with her or is he meeting her in the U.S.?

BeachBum on July 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Tremendous.

BuckeyeSam on July 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Praise God! :D

Cheshire_Kat on July 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Excellent

Kudos indeed

cmsinaz on July 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Good Lord Debbie Downer! They were able to save her from the Muslims now it looks like they are going to have to protect her from the fashion Nazis.

iceman1960 on July 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Yes… a Rose garden appearance for sure. “I fought hard to get her out. I want to welcome her to the US. I will get you a guest spot on Jimmy’s show. I am great. I, I, I, I…”

Walter L. Newton on July 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Thank God!

oldleprechaun on July 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Looks like she got out of that h*ll-hole region,
in time sumpins!!!!

Retweeted by Agence France-Presse
Jean-Marc Mojon @mojobaghdad · 2m

UN says Islamic State fatwa orders female genital mutilation in #Iraq for all women aged 11 to 46 @AFP
=======================================

Ed Morrissey @EdMorrissey · 14m

Horror. RT @AFP: #BREAKING: Jihadists in Iraq order female genital mutilation: UN

canopfor on July 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Good for her. Let’s hope she’s not the one immigrant Obama sends back.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on July 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Some good news for a change….

georgealbert on July 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

ConstantineXI on July 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Don’t come to Michigan is all I would advise.

By the way, the new Mosque being built in the area is just about 1-2 miles away from 2 open air gun ranges. This is not uncommon here in Michigan anymore where Muslim communities start up around gun ranges.
It helps to displace other residents to make way for more “acceptable” residents who can use a Mosque.
Can’t wait for the loud speakers to start the daily calls to prayer.

mechkiller_k on July 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Grazie, Italia!

Bigfoot on July 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Now, she’s someone to whom the US should be extending asylum.

BuckeyeSam on July 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Can’t wait for the loud speakers to start the daily calls to prayer.

mechkiller_k on July 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Neither can Bammy. It’s one of the most beautiful sounds he’s ever heard you know.

iceman1960 on July 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

ATTENTION TROLLS AND OTHER ‘LIBERAL’ LIARS

THIS IS WHAT AN ACTUAL REFUGEE/ASYLUM SEEKER LOOKS LIKE

M240H on July 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Great job, Barack!!!! Woops…wait a minute…he wus golfin’ and fundraisin, wasn’t he?

Great job, Italy!!! Since the POTUS is no longer the leader of the free world, it’s nice to know that there are people in the world of good conscience and faith willing to fill the void left by the rat eared dog eater from Kenya.

bimmcorp on July 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Thank God….

crosshugger on July 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM

(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Hey, Mr. Blackwell, put a bit of silk hosiery in it.

M240H on July 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM

(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I looked. What am I supposed to be noticing in those photos? I don’t see anything unusual.

juliesa on July 24, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Praise God for her safe return, and God Bless her for not renouncing her Faith even upon the threat of death.

Islam – pure evil.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 8:51 AM

(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

A-hole

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 8:52 AM

” Hopefully, the US will get a chance to welcome Ibrahim and her children to the US soon…”

Nope…the president is busy fundraising/playing golf/vacationing…

ujorge on July 24, 2014 at 8:53 AM

(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

A-hole

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Ease up. He is reminding us of the screed from the douche astonerii.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

ATTENTION TROLLS AND OTHER ‘LIBERAL’ LIARS

THIS IS WHAT AN ACTUAL REFUGEE/ASYLUM SEEKER LOOKS LIKE

M240H on July 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

M240H: Legit and correct—-:0

canopfor on July 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM

A-hole

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Key West Reader: Chuckle,…Good Morning:)

canopfor on July 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Thank God she and her children are out of Sudan.

mmcnamer1 on July 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I won’t sit here and B*tch about this travesty…just
glad she’s safe now….

ToddPA on July 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM

So the family got “A NEW CAR”? This is great news and when the elites stop pandering to these radicals, they might change their ways.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Walter L. Newton on July 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

If only…she’ll show up, and he’ll have no idea who she is because he didn’t see it on the news.

msupertas on July 24, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Did I miss part of the story? Where is the husband?

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Obama will avoid a photo-op because it’d upset his buddies in the Muslim Brotherhood as well as the gender feminists in his base for giving undue attention to a devout Christian.

BKennedy on July 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Yes, it is good she and her husband and child got out.

But how many could not? How many had no Western connection? Not enough political juice to generate international attention in time to save them?

`

NEVER forget she was sentenced to death for just being a Christian. These islamists are murderous barbarians and should not be treated as civilized human beings.

They are rabid dogs and should be dealt with similarly.

Adjoran on July 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Great news!

Now Michelle: Bring back our girls!1 ##/

What an inept Presidency. Just inept.

CW on July 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Sadness:

LAGOS, Nigeria – In the three months since Islamic extremists kidnapped more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls, 11 of their parents have died, town residents say.
The town where the girls were kidnapped, Chibok, is cut off by militants, who have been attacking villages in the region.
Seven fathers of kidnapped girls were among 51 bodies brought to the Chibok hospital after an attack on the nearby village of Kautakari this month, said a health worker who insisted on anonymity for fear of reprisals by the extremists.
At least four more parents have died of heart failure, high blood pressure and other illnesses that the community blames on trauma due to the mass abduction 100 days ago, said community leader Pogu Bitrus, who provided their names.
“One father of two of the girls kidnapped just went into a kind of coma and kept repeating the names of his daughters, until life left him,” said Bitrus……. Canadian Press(CP)

CW on July 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Nice ending to a story and good for the Italians for getting the family out of Sudan. It is probably why the Western governments have been super quiet about this case for the last few weeks so that they could engineer Meriam’s exit.

As for the stepbrother, I thought my extended family was dysfunctional.. Geez. Apparently, Meriam is an educated woman, which is probably the main reason for her stepbrother and the Islamists’ wrath.

Illinidiva on July 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Ease up. He is reminding us of the screed from the douche astonerii.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Ewps! Thanks, KTMOL

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Ease up. He is reminding us of the screed from the douche astonerii.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Thanks for the clarification. How were the persimmon daiquiris? And do ever let the ‘possum have any?

Sorry for the “Mr. Blackwell” comment, JFKY. Pass the hosiery to the apprpriate party.

M240H on July 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Did I miss part of the story? Where is the husband? Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

We can neither confirm or deny the meeting. How do we know that’s really Pope Francis? ;0

Happy Nomad on July 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

M240H on July 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I hope when she gets to New Hampshire with her husband she doesn’t go to a Jesuit Parish. After hearing their neo pagan homilies for a few months she might demand to go back to Sudan.

celtic warrior on July 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Is she catholic? I hadn’t heard that.

mankai on July 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Oddly enough that didn’t help. Although very clever. All the articles keep saying “her family” so I guess I will assume he is there and just not worthy of including in the photos.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

mankai on July 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I don’t think she is but the Pope sure went to bat for her. I’m even going to believe that The Won took some time out of his busy golf schedule to lobby on her behalf. One good thing out of 5 year plus presidency isn’t setting the bar too hight.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Ease up. He is reminding us of the screed from the douche astonerii.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Oh, sorry, I missed the screed. I can just imagine it though.

juliesa on July 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM

With our clusterfark of a state department, I am glad someone else stepped up. As I understand john the traitor kerry was too busy stomping on Israel to play a part. Christians and Jews are under the bus according to this administration. Heard that jugears made the remark at one of his fund raisers stating that there is nothing to worry about in the middle east. All we are seeing is a changing from an old guard to a new.

crosshugger on July 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Gee, while you’re at it, could you make me a Tanqueray and tonic? Extra lime, please. M240H on July 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

The articles mentioned her husband! Man, nobody appreciates nothin around here.

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

All the articles keep saying “her family” so I guess I will assume he is there and just not worthy of including in the photos. Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Suitable for framing.

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Wearing that much makeup should be a criminal offense. It certainly is a visual one. I mean seriously, one of the most important days of your life, and you want to look like someone totally different than you who you are?

Stop using that photo! gag!

astonerii on June 24, 2014 at 9:30 AMOutside of the eyes, there is no human in that photo. Looking at the level of make-up, it is possible they are even wearing contacts that change the looks of their eyes. That is what is offensive. It is so totally unnatural as to be painful to the eye. Maybe it has some serious Photoshopping going too.

astonerii on June 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM

These were some of the comments.
Here was the headline.

Attorneys: Sudan arrests Meriam Yehia Ibrahim, family at airport

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM

LOL! You’re killing me. I mean where is he TODAY. The have some official helping her deplane (is that a real word?) with her children and I just wondered if he is camera shy.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Shoot, I wish they had photo shop when I got married.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

(For those who remember an earlier thread on Miriam)

JFKY on July 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM

juliesa on July 24, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Apparently they were aggressively over-photoshopped.

Yes, I share your blood-curdling horror…

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Shoot, I wish they had photo shop when I got married.

Cindy Munford on July 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Me too. Plus the DMV.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Akzed on July 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I bow to your skills, sir.

M240H on July 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Deo gratias!!!!

Is she catholic? I hadn’t heard that.

mankai on July 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM

According to the Archdiocese of Khartoum, she converted from Orthodox to Catholic in 2011 when she married. Her husband is Catholic.

As to where her husband is, I believe he has serious health problems, doesn’t he?

pannw on July 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

She is a very courageous woman, and I am thankful that God kept her and her children safe.

ezspirit on July 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Italy helped the US mediate her release with Sudanese officials in a quiet effort launched a few weeks ago.
– Ed

Great news.
Of course as with any news…about anything…at all… the snark is heavy here about Obama and US involvement.
But as I offered on previous posts about her situation, of course the US was working diligently on this. And as it turns out, successfully. Thankfully those efforts were coordinated by dedicated professionals. Obama rightly took their advice during all of this – and paid no attention to the squealing pundits or the committed cynics on the right

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

astonerii on June 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM

These were some of the comments.
Here was the headline.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Thanks… never paid any attention to this poster but I hereby declare it an uber douche.

My apologies to M240H

/Don’t forget yer sarc tag baby

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

ezspirit on July 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

See? We can agree on things… Isn’t that awesome? I think it is.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Ipecac has nothing on that right there. That worthless, fund raising, vacationing waist of flesh had nothing to do with this happy outcome, and you know it. How do you look at yourself in a mirror? You work for Valerie Jarrett, don’t you? loathsome…

pannw on July 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

/Don’t forget yer sarc tag baby

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Sarc tags went up. Very much in demand for the last 6 1/2 years. $2.78 at your local Apple store.

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Welcome home, sister!

CurtZHP on July 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I could not be happier!!!

I almost cried!! Be Safe Meriam!

JAM on July 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

pannw on July 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Well, you sound like a very reliable thinker of things and stuff.

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Glad to hear about this. I had feared this story was going to have a bad ending.

Doomberg on July 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM

the snark is heavy here about Obama and US involvement.

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

You water carriers are soooo sensitive.

CW on July 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Verbie , seriously, look at the world. Obama’s failure to lead is evident on so many fronts. GTH. You enable him.

CW on July 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM

/Don’t forget yer sarc tag baby

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Gurl, that was for the original poster, not YOU.

You’re awesome and I hope we’re still cool.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Gurl, that was for the original poster, not YOU.

You’re awesome and I hope we’re still cool.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We are always cool. Just couldn’t help meself.:)

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM

That is all well and good but where in the heck is he on the Christians in Iraq, not a peep

KBird on July 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

where in the heck is he on the Christians in Iraq, not a peep

KBird on July 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Where is he really on anything?

Look at Russia and the Ukraine
-The downing of the Malaysian plane
The Border
ISIS
Afghanistan
Syria
Boko Haram

CW on July 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

– Ed

Great news.

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

That’s a great point.

So you’re saying the things with Putin, Al Qaeda ISIS in Iraq, the hunt for the Boko Haram kidnapped girls, etc. are the result of the administration not working diligently enough, unsuccessful efforts, slackness, undedicated professionals, or Obama taking the wrong advice, correct?

Or are the bad things somehow different?

rogerb on July 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

We are always cool. Just couldn’t help meself.:)

katy the mean old lady on July 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM

:::smooches::: we oughta get together with Cindy MuMford lol.. Luv ya gurl.

Key West Reader on July 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I suspect her outraged family is keeping quiet because of the green incentive, that is they were payed off. after all religious craziness will take you so far. Money is the great equalizer in these cases.

warmairfan on July 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Excellent news. Thank God!

Let’s hope there is a similar on-the-QT effort to get the Christians out of Iraq.

PatriotGal2257 on July 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Well, you sound like a very reliable thinker of things and stuff.

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yes, I know an emetic when I see one.

pannw on July 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Good! Now let’s work on helping Christians get out of Iraq, Syria, etc.

iceman1960 on July 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Start with this American pastor held (and beaten) in Iran.

IrishEyes on July 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Hooray! At last a small spot of good news.

talkingpoints on July 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Wonderful news! Major thanks to Italy for taking the lead!

Now send the family to an “undisclosed location” and let them raise their children in peace and safety.

wren on July 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

This is one of the coolest things I have read all day.

Chudi on July 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Justina Pelletier ; check
Mariam Ibrahim ; in transit
Marine Sgt Andrew Tahmooressi ; still in a Mexican Prison
I guess we’re making some progress…

listens2glenn on July 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Well, you sound like a very reliable thinker of things and stuff.

verbaluce on July 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yes, I know an emetic when I see one.

pannw on July 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Better than charcoal ? … Or ipecac ?

listens2glenn on July 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Her clothes, her hair, her wedding dress… it doesn’t matter. The Lord sees her heart and it is beautiful.

the_moll on July 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Better than charcoal ? … Or ipecac ?

listens2glenn on July 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Here ya go: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/07/23/Hillary-Book-Rank-Dips-Below-Two-Anti-Hillary-Books

slickwillie2001 on July 24, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Great news for her but I weep for the many Christians being driven out of Iraq , Syria and others being persecuted all over the world. Especially in the Middle East. Mi pray that god will protect and give them strength to face the persecution and hate thrown at them.

sadsushi on July 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

God Bless this brave woman.

workingclass artist on July 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM