Wisconsin gubernatorial poll: Mary Burke 47, Scott Walker 46

posted at 6:01 pm on July 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

Somewhere Chris Christie and Jeb Bush (and Paul Ryan?) are high-fiving.

Dude, I’m nervous:

Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic challenger Mary Burke are in a dead heat heading into the November election, with Walker leading 46%-45% among registered voters, according to the latest Marquette University Law School poll released Wednesday.

Among likely voters, Burke led Walker, 47%-46%.

The results were all inside the margin of error.

I was nervous two months ago too, after the last Marquette poll dropped and showed Walker and Burke dead even at 46 among registered voters but Walker up 48/45 among likely voters. Today it’s Burke who leads ever so slightly among likelies. That’s within the margin of error, of course, so you can see this glass as half-full if you like — Walker might still be a tiny bit ahead! — but an incorrigible eeyore like me naturally sees it half-empty insofar as he hasn’t gained any ground since May. The slight shift among likely voters isn’t the only bad trend either:

His approval and favorable ratings have also dropped by a couple of points. That may be noise, but the bottom line is that he hasn’t established an edge on Burke yet. And needless to say, unlike lots of other state-level Democratic candidates, Burke can count on lots of dough from liberals down the stretch this fall in the name of knocking off Walker before he becomes a 2016 threat. He’s outraised her thus far, partly because he’s a conservative rock star and partly because he’s an incumbent, but Burke’s got a fair chance to catch up if Democratic Senate chances start to go sour and liberals begin focusing on her as their best chance for a big win. In fact, I wonder how much better Burke might be doing money-wise right now if not for Wendy Davis’s lame, futile campaign for governor in Texas. Burke raised $3.6 million in the first half of this year (Walker raised $8.2 million); since February, Davis has raised more than $11 million. Lots of that is due, of course, to the relative sizes of Texas’s and Wisconsin’s populations, but Davis has plenty of financial support from outside Texas too. If you’re a Democrat looking for the most bang for your political buck, you’re far better off trying to nuke a serious Republican presidential contender in a tight race in Wisconsin by sending your money to Burke than you are throwing it into the “yay, abortion!” sinkhole of Davis’s campaign. Let’s hope their stupidity keeps up throughout the fall. It might be the difference between President Walker and President Hillary in 2017.

Exit question: In a blue state, this can only be good news, right?

Comments

Bishop needs to have a talk with his people.

Stat.

BigWyo on July 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Breath Walker supporters. Breath into the bag. slowly.

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

What’s the matter with Wisconsin, anyway?

Yeah, I’m posting this from my home in Colorado….

Andy in Colorado on July 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

two things…

Marquette poll is liberal as hell

Walker could drop the amnesty crap and gain 10 points

DanMan on July 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Your move WI, or end up like IL.

22044 on July 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

A poster on Ann Althouse’s blog noted that in May of 2012, the Marquette poll had Democrat Tom Barrett slightly ahead of Walker in the recall election, which Walker ended up winning by a 53-46 margin, in a year where Obama defeated Romney in the Wisconsin presidential election. So take today’s poll for what it’s worth, 3 1/2 months out from people actually casting their ballots.

jon1979 on July 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Do Wisconsinites really want to go back to the debt and depressing days of being under a Dem gov?? Amazing!

mydh12 on July 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

In a sane world, it would be Walker by 90-10. One in 10 voters used to be nuts; now it’s 5 in 10.

Rational Thought on July 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I’m in WI. Burke is hitting him hard with the repetitive lies. GOP. Only message so far seems to be that she’s an outsourcer of jobs. Weak sauce. Walker needs to remind people of the fiscal discipline he’s brought – that’s a winner. And the tax cuts. Plus he is either hated or loved. He has to point out what an empty suit she is.

David on July 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Gotta hand it to those Dems, they know how to cut red-tape when it comes to getting illegals registered to vote.

Ukiah on July 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Paul Ryan should endorse Mary Burke so she’ll lose.

portlandon on July 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Dude, I’m nervous

I’m not. If Wisconsin wants more crap in their sandwich, they deserve to get what they want.

squint on July 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

FWIW: a D+8 poll. But, yes, I am nervous too!

cdog0613 on July 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM

This will test Wisconsin’s mental capabilities.

CW on July 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Walker has done a great job rescuing the state from leftist zealotry.. but Walker lacks personality, and his speeches are about as exciting as watching paint dry.

This is the same flaw shared by Jindal. The “Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz” personality..

Raquel Pinkbullet on July 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Too soon to worry about it.

wifarmboy on July 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Allahpundit’s nervous about something? NO WAY.

Get a new shtick, you coward.

wargamer6 on July 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Success is boring, man. Let’s go back to being completely reckless and bankrupt.

forest on July 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

mydh12 on July 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Apparently. If WI votes to put the unions back in charge, they deserve the fiscal hell that awaits them. I mean if Walker was doing a lousy job, I could understand a blue state reverting to a Democrat governor. But here the electorate is just being partisan and stupid.

Doughboy on July 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Listen, there is a huge cesspool of gimmeecrats in the Madison-Milwaukee crescent; these are the voters who are still pining after that high-speed rail line *so dreamy!* between Chicago and the Twin Cities (that Wisconsin would pay billions to maintain for but couldn’t really use).
And sad to say, there are plenty of corn farmers who will be voting for their own subsidies come November.

Wisconsin may have been tired of the billion and a half in deficit that the last Gimmecrat governor left ‘em, but now that Walker has taken care of that, “let’s par-tay!!”.

I don’t really see any part of the Frozen North east of the Great River joining the, uh, you know… new Republic.

Dolce Far Niente on July 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Sounds about like the way the polling was running during the Walker recall election.

According to the polls then, it was nip-and-tuck all the way and going right down to the wire. Remember how MSNBC’s Rachael Maddow had blocked out the whole election night for coverage, even into to early hours of the morning, because the recall was going to be such a squeaker?

Recall how it was declared for Walker (53%-46%) about 45 minutes after the polls closed – and a full point higher than his original win.

ss396 on July 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

mydh12 on July 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

No doubt the socialist democrats have been pounding the airwaves and streets blasting their propaganda.

It’s amazing the power propaganda has on people.

I suppose they’ll get what they deserve.

darwin on July 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on July 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Can’t speak for Walker, but you apparently haven’t heard any of Jindal’s speeches lately. He’s greatly approved!!! Got a real fire in his belly.

lineholder on July 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

If he loses, that’ll be one less pro-amnesty candidate in the ’16 GOP field.

Jon0815 on July 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Walker was supposed to lose everything in the past few years, if you believed polls.

However, his success may be his down fall.

Now that the WI fiscal ship is righted, lazy LIV’s will forget how the state turned around and are ripe for Dem operatives to flood the airwaves with every lie they can think of. I mean, John Doe case was thrown out – twice, but Dems ran with “we have the hidden subpoenas – Walker must be guilty of something”

When people want to make money, they vote Rep; when they want to spend money, they vote Dem. Now that the till is full – its spending time baby!!!!!!

Odie1941 on July 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Has King Putt been invited to any WI fundraisers? No? I wonder why?

Perhaps they are too close to folks who elected ‘The Body’ and the commedian Al “Hey Judge, here’s a trunk full of ballots” Franken.

Missilengr on July 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

If he loses, that’ll be one less pro-amnesty candidate in the ’16 GOP field.

Jon0815 on July 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

All the potential candidates are “pro-amnesty”.

cdog0613 on July 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

The ads from Burke have been really negative and dishonest, counting on low-information voters to not understand what the John Doe ‘investigation’ is actually about.

I’m pretty confident Walker will win. This state’s had a nice turn around since he got into office. That said, it’s going to be sad if we end up voting to undo the positives changes he’s put in place.

BadgerHawk on July 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Walker could win easily with Dave Brat’s populist message. But he’s cast his lost with the Chamber of Commerce open borders/cheap labor corporatists.

Jon0815 on July 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

All the potential candidates are “pro-amnesty”.

cdog0613 on July 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

All but maybe Cruz, yeah. But Walker might be the worst of the lot. He’s not just pro-amnesty, he’s basically for open borders. He’s said repeatedly that anyone who wants to work here should be able to.

Jon0815 on July 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I’m with the posters who say that Walker should hit Burke on being Obama’s faithful mattress when it comes to amnesty. He’ll tear off by at least 5% on that alone, not mention scoring major points in the GOP primaries.

Rix on July 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Breath Walker supporters. Breath into the bag. slowly.

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

“Breathe,” professor.

mankai on July 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Walker is for amnesty so maybe actual Conservatives have stopped caring about him. Not that they would like his Dem challenger much.

echosyst on July 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Your move WI, or end up like IL.

22044 on July 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Crapola, Wisconsin was my back-up plan if Quinn wins reelection in IL…

Fallon on July 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Walker 2016

The nations best governor has a great story to tell.

Those who listen – will learn – those who don’t, never will.

jake-the-goose on July 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

mydh12 on July 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Doughboy on July 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

What a bunch of idiots live in Wisconsin. Sad.

talkingpoints on July 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

This is all a result of the big media lie regarding the John Doe witch hunt.

BKeyser on July 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I’m guessing that those two numbers track exactly to free $hit army + government employees to taxpayers.

jukin3 on July 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Come on Scott!

MTF on July 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

“Breathe,” professor.

mankai on July 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

you are correct. I am always counting on the kindness of strangers such as yourself to correct all my mistakes. Keep up the good work.

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

This is all a result of the big media lie regarding the John Doe witch hunt.

BKeyser on July 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

This

The stronger Walker becomes – the more these attacks will follow – even from within the GOP itself – as is evident inside this thread.

The GOP is dying for a leader – and killing itself while it waits.

That said – we’ll be ok – the pendulum will swing

jake-the-goose on July 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

“Breathe,” professor.

mankai on July 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

My new favorite song. Word Crime. I am notorious for not giving a crap about comments grammar. lol

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I am notorious for not giving a crap about comments grammar. lol

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Of course you are … If I couldn’t spell I’d say the same thing.

Stop being so predictable.

darwin on July 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Of course you are … If I couldn’t spell I’d say the same thing.

Stop being so predictable.

darwin on July 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Ok I do care about grammar while typing on the run. You got me!

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM

#1: It is still early. The meaningful part of a close race hasn’t yet begun.

#2: Wisconsin, if your unemployment rate is lower than the national average (5.7% to 6.1%), then you can be pretty confident that your state IS creating jobs faster than other states. This quote: “9% say WI is creating jobs faster than other states, 42% say it’s about the same as other states, 43% say WI lags other state. #mulawpoll” makes me fairly certain of my third and final point:

#3: PUSH POLL!!!!!

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

OT:

Jesse Ventura vs Chris Kyle estate defamation case still no verdict

Published: 23 July 2014 10:59 AM
Updated: 23 July 2014 04:33 PM
ST. PAUL, Minn. — There’s still no verdict as jurors try to decide whether a decorated military sniper libeled former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura in his best-selling memoir.
Jurors deliberated from about 9 a.m. until about 4 p.m. Wednesday before leaving the federal courthouse in St. Paul. They received the case around noon Tuesday.
The jury has posed two questions to the judge. The subjects and answers haven’t been disclosed.
Ventura testified Chris Kyle invented a story in his memoir “American Sniper” about punching him in a California bar in 2006 after Ventura supposedly insulted SEALs.
Ventura’s attorney asked jurors for millions of dollars in damages.
But an attorney for Kyle’s estate says Ventura failed to prove Kyle made up the story or that Ventura suffered financially because of the book.

Seriously…what kind of sick and thinned skin nut pursues millions of dollars in damages from the family of a dead patriot and hero over something so meaningless?

anuts on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

“Breathe,” professor.

mankai on July 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I love when people pretend their ignorance is merely a result of a grammar mistake. Yes, I’m sure you were merely using the noun instead of a verb because of mistaken grammar. LOL!

corkie on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Walker has done a lot of good after the last D governor put their economy into the ditch. Now it appears Wisconsin voters may have learned nothing and will go back to another leftist.

cat_owner on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Breath Walker supporters. Breath into the bag. slowly.

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Why is a fine, upstanding Republican like yourself not a Walker supporter?

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

corkie on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Ok I am bad with grammar. Do you want me to be sad about it?

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Ok I do care about grammar while typing on the run. You got me!

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM

???

Ummm … ok?

darwin on July 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Ok I am bad with grammar. Do you want me to be sad about it?

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I hope you’re better with Russian military aircraft. I hear they “got some really good planes”.

darwin on July 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

The results were all inside the margin of error.

Also well inside the expected margin of Democratic vote-fraud in Wisconsin.

slickwillie2001 on July 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Why is a fine, upstanding Republican like yourself not a Walker supporter?

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I don’t find him interesting. Maybe he will get interesting in the future. But right now he is just blah.

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Relax.

Tsunami coming.

When the DFL is shitting bricks in MN-8 (Duluth & Iron Range) and Obama is spending 2 days In Minneapolis (Ellison’s home district), the Donks are seeing a whole lot of ugly headed their way.

The Cheeseheads will figure this out despite their genetics…

Bruno Strozek on July 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

corkie on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Yep. I expect it’s still grinding through those ESL courses and butting up against inevitable diminishing returns.

slickwillie2001 on July 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Why is a fine, upstanding Republican like yourself not a Walker supporter?

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Translation: I’m not really a Republican. I just play one on Hot Air.

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I’m not usually a member of the grammar police, but since right-wingers are generally assumed to be uneducated rubes by the left, I got some perverse pleasure in the correction (especially since it was a double fault).

My conservative siblings and I (4 of us) hold 4 BS degrees (Management, mathematics, biology, psychology), 2 MS degrees (biology, psychology) and a PhD (neuropsychology). I’ll spare you the honors that accompanied several of those degrees.

Oh well, I make my share of grammatical and spelling errors… I was just making an obtuse point.

Thanks for being a good sport.

mankai on July 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Translation: I’m not really a Republican. I just play one on Hot Air.

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Seriously. Who doesn’t find Walker “interesting” after what he’s done and survived in the so-called home of “liberalism”.

darwin on July 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Translation: I’m not really a Republican. I just play one on Hot Air.

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Is there any republican that you don’t find interesting, or do you find every republican candidate riveting?

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM

In reality, that’s not a lot of difference.

paulsur on July 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM

anuts on July 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Jesse Ventura

mankai on July 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Again…what does it say about one’s judgment that he thinks Christie is “conservative enough” to be the Republican nominee?

I had the last Walker caller take me off their list for donations because of comments like this…and of course, his view on amnesty.

(But I didn’t like his comments about the October 2013 shutdown either.)

I’ve been hearing for 10 years now, that Wisconsin and Minnesota were in play. And every time that “being in play” didn’t make it past the polls closing.

EastofEden on July 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Amnesty supporters aka “immigration reform bill” supporters are dead to me politically. I would not vote for them for any office. Period.

they lie on July 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I refuse to believe the people of Wisconsin are that dumb. Walker will win. And stop with the amnesty crap. Some of u are so damned hysterical and dramatic over this. Walker never said he was for open borders and amnesty.

Jack_Burton on July 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Walker 2016

The nations best governor has a great story to tell.

Those who listen – will learn – those who don’t, never will.

jake-the-goose on July 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Again, you are drunk, Goose. First off, Walker is hardly the nation’s best governor, and secondly, supporting amnesty is NOT going to gain him any support among conservative Americans. Maybe for unprincipled RINOs like you, but not for the base.

To quote a famous HotAir RINO: “We can do better”…

bimmcorp on July 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

If Walker loses, Hot Air should be shut down and Allah will be in prison.

davemason2k on July 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Wisconsin is a lost cause. Walker was a fluke. Even after doing a kick ass job the cheese heads (mostly liberal, even the registered repubs) are going to vote for a dem…I am not shocked. Wisconsinites love them some socialism.

Doomsday on July 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Ok I am bad with grammar. Do you want me to be sad about it?

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I want you to learn the difference between grammar and spelling.

corkie on July 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Maybe he should go ahead and quit while he’s ahead and run for president two or three (?) times like Mitt Romney.

joekenha on July 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM

What is WRONG with those in Wisconsin??

After the Job he’s done, the ‘Turn Around‘ he’s done for that state, Dem or not, you’d think they’d want to continue on such a better road!

Idea…. let’s trade Obama for Walker, straight across trade, right now!
I’d surely do it.

ObserverMI on July 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Jack_Burton on July 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Walker supports amnesty. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck…well, you know the drill.

Walker later claimed he was taken out of context, but has never explained how. He’s a lying weasel trying to have it both ways. He’s in the same boat with Paul Ryan. Both support amnesty.

they lie on July 23, 2014 at 7:57 PM

If we go back to a Dem stronghold just shoot me. Better yet we go South.

wi farmgirl on July 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Grew up there, lived there, visited there…too bad. Won’t be returning except to bury family. The Forward state is anything but.

The list of countries I will visit is falling to very few and the number of states in the US gaining my dollars is also falling. Elections do have consequences.

Behind enemy lines for now…

fewenuff on July 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

coolrepublica on July 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I find plenty of Repubs uninteresting. However, you just posted a patronizing, condescending, and (I beg your pardon Schad) schadenfreude-filled comment to supporters of this particular Republican on an article about that Republican.

Let me spell this out for you:

You wouldn’t do that if you found Walker uninteresting. You would only do that if you found him interesting but unsavory.

yaedon on July 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Mary Burke is as ditzy as they come. Let’s see the numbers after the first debate. There is nothing between the ears. The unionista’s and Madison liberal electorate are still irate that Walker won at all the first time. They are still cranked up to vote. I think we in Wisconsin are smarter than to elect another liberal spender. Marquette just trying to gin up support.

traditionalgal on July 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM

To quote a famous HotAir RINO: “We can do better”…

bimmcorp on July 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

And who is that better candidate in Wisconsin? Walker-unlike a lot of the names bandied about here as presidential contenders-fought the Left on their turf and won. Beating back the unions practically where they were born was no small feat, yet you’re going to whine about supposed amnesty support as a reason he shouldn’t be supported? FFS.

changer1701 on July 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Remember how close the polls were before the recall election?

Zuwie on July 23, 2014 at 9:19 PM

David on July 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Once again when will the GOP learn they need an aggressive strategy, an offensive one, yet time and again they go into sitzkrieg mode. Walker is a smart guy, but so was Romney and Paul Ryan. No matter what you think of them on a certain issue here or there, they are for the most part good guys compared to the people they faced on the other side.

Yet winning is more than being the right side, and the true side, and who is a good guy. You need to have a tough side, even a cruel side, to win in American politics. This seems to be really the case with establishment Republicans who are mostly about fiscal and business issues. They tend to play it safe, try not to offend, etc., just like you would run a business.

The Dems are slandering and attacking again, and Walker will need to be proactive, not just in defending himself, but attacking his opponent in kind. A positive campaign alone won’t win anything in America..

William Eaton on July 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Similar to what we’re seeing in Florida with Scott and Crist.

I still think that going after PEs in both states was a bad choice on the GOP’s part. Hasn’t accomplished anything except to maybe get some more folks out there to vote against the GOP incumbents in these states that didn’t the last time around. These anti-PE measures rode high on the TEA Party wave, and weren’t really about doing what is right for the taxpayer, but what was most advantageous politically for the GOP in those states.

Also, with PEs being laid off, the Dems can directly attribute that to GOP anti-PE policies, especially in education…and in case HA folks haven’t noticed, fellow Americans losing their jobs makes few voters happy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I hope Walker can pull this out..:)

Dire Straits on July 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Walker is always purported to be on the verge of being ousted… and he wins handily. I’m not nervous at all. I think the guy is solid.

dpduq on July 23, 2014 at 9:55 PM

It is indeed very difficult for a Republican to get re-elected in a blue state. Romney wasn’t about to win re-election in MA after moving to the right. Of course, that was used by certain people on the right as historical evidence that he was a bad candidate overall. I wish people could be intellectually honest when making their arguments.

cimbri on July 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM

The Walker/Barrett recall polls were NOT close…

Final Results – – 53.1 46.3 Walker +6.8
PPP (D) 10/20 – 10/23 1170 RV 48 46 Walker +2
PPP (D) 8/12 – 8/14 830 RV 47 48 Barrett +1

mypalfish on July 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM

PPP (D) 10/20 – 10/23 1170 RV 48 46 Walker +2
PPP (D) 8/12 – 8/14 830 RV 47 48 Barrett +1

mypalfish on July 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Thank you for pointing that out. And PPP can usually be thrown out.

J.B. Say on July 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Before Nov. 2012, election, 89% said that.

Does anyone in the know in WI have a sense that low turnout helps or hurts Walker? Gotta help, right?

Jaibones on July 23, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Laying aside the actual legitimacy of this poll, which seems questionable, I will say that Republicans seem to have an incredibly difficult time selling the success of their ideas and policies. His success as governor is unquestionable purely from a numbers standpoint. Erasing their huge debt and creating a massive surplus, for instance. You would think that would be a slam dunk, but from people I’ve talked to who either live in or have relatives in the state, Burke’s message of lies and deceit is everywhere and Walker’s is hard to find, and is tepid at best.

Or course, his prom amnesty position probably didn’t help him with his base. Why he would even go there is beyond me. He had no reason to and it only harmed him.

Paperclips on July 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

That’s okay Scott, we want you as the VP for President Cruz!

casaler on July 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Laying aside the actual legitimacy of this poll,

The MU Law poll is regarded as the gold standard of polling in WI. They nailed the both the Walker recall and the 2012 Pres and Senate elections. Last night there was a big Federalist Society event in WI, and this was the talk of the evening.

mypalfish on July 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I do NOT believe this poll PERIOD!

mmcnamer1 on July 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM

It’s all about the givers and the takers.That’s why America is doomed.There are so many people who want to live free off of the givers they will vote for the socialist pigs every time.Unless the % of givers who actually bother to vote(and the GOP gives them very little reason to)skyrockets then we will ultimately become France.

redware on July 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Very disappointing to see people here bashing WI. If you knew anything about the state and it’s residents, you’d know that outside of the professional politicians and the perpetually aggrieved, perpetually offended, and far-left Madison nut-jobs, no one give’s a rat’s ass about politics right now. We are in the middle of a beautiful (albeit a bit chilly) summer where people are enjoying our great outdoors. Festival season is in full swing. Our Milwaukee Brewers have the best record in the National League. Badger Football starts in about a month. And the Green Bay Packers open training camp tomorrow.

Walker has more support in this state than you know. It’s just his supporters have jobs, families, hobbies, and productive activities to attend to. Enough people remember the left’s collective tantrum in the wake of Act 10 to not want to hand the reins back to them any time soon. If the polls are still close in October, then I’ll get concerned.

Badger91 on July 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Odie is onto something. The trouble with liberals and voters in blue states is they have short memories an no ability to assign accountability and responsibility.

The Left gets into power AFTER the Right creates a cushion of prosperity and security. Then the “we can afford it” feel good crap shows up, we let the Left in charge, they screw the pooch. Then the voters put in an adult instead of a man/woman-child liberal, and the ship is righted.

Suddenly we see the “we can afford it” crowd show back up and go left, unable or unwilling to remember the last bad idea.

Carter to Reagan to Bush to Clinton to GWB to Obama. Like a freaking pinball.

archer52 on July 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

It is a downright shame that Walker is for amnesty because he is a obviously capable executive. But I will vote third party before I vote for anyone who supports amnesty and the attack on our culture that is underway. Is Walker really hardcore on the issue? I had wondered where he stood on it, but hadnt looked into yet. I was disappointed to see he was…but not all potential candidates in 16 are for amnesty, Cruz certainly is not, Perry is not..in fact Perry is now much better on this issue than he was last cycle.

Redstone357 on July 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM