ISIS Update: Sophisticated strategic advance puts Baghdad in the crosshairs

posted at 6:41 pm on July 22, 2014 by Noah Rothman

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria followed through with their threat over the weekend to expel Christians from Iraq’s second largest city and to impose Sharia law on the residents who remain. Those Christians who passed through ISIS checkpoints on their way out of the besieged city were robbed of their belongings by Islamist militants.

The Wire reported that the end of this month will mark the first time in 1,600 years that a Christian mass will not be held in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul. The report, via Adam Chandler, also notes that the Dubai-based news outlet Al Arabiya reported over the weekend that ISIS consolidated its gains by torching one of the oldest Christian churches on earth.

The Islamic State, the name ISIS prefers in order to convey their legitimacy as a state-like entity, is not merely pursuing a strategy of terror. According to a Reuters report filed on Tuesday, the Sunni fundamentalist group is using a sophisticated mix of “soft” and “hard power” to advance further into Syria and Iraq, putting Baghdad in peril.

The Reuters report described one operation in which ISIS fighters captured 30 al-Alam families, forcing tribal leaders to cede control of their town. “Weeks later, only a few masked gunmen guard checkpoints surrounding al-Alam at night, so comfortable is the Islamic State in its control through fear,” the report read.

The report adds that ISIS, an amalgam of anti-Western fighters with disparate ideologies, have put their differences aside in order to pursue one common aim: sacking Baghdad.

The assault on Iraq’s capital has been ongoing for weeks as terror operations aimed at softening Baghdad’s defenses have continually been linked to ISIS militants. Over the weekend, ISIS took responsibility for a series of five car bombs inside Baghdad’s mainly Shiite areas which took the lives of 27 people.

In this detailed (and GRAPHIC) report on ISIS, the six minute mark reveals how the group keeps meticulous records on their activities. Showcasing the group’s annual report from 2013, one analyst said she thought that the tactic was aimed at either an audience of potential or existing donors which financially support the nascent Islamic caliphate.

Comments

I blame Putin.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Obama allowed AlQaeda 2.0 to take over part of Iraq and Syria.

This would end most Presidencies.

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Let them get to Baghdad, then nuke them.

Ward Cleaver on July 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

What single world leader is there at whose feet responsibility for this debacle could be reasonably laid?

Whoever he is, you know that he has to be wishing for a huge distraction to arise, that his complicit press could point to, calling attention away from this.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I can say savages, can’t I?

formwiz on July 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Did y’all see that statement Barack made about the expelling of these Christians and the burning of this sacred church??

Neither did I…

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Well, publicly, at least…

JohnGalt23 on July 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

bimm, is the end of the world near?

8 weight on July 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Those idiots always look as if they walked out of the movie World War Z, nothing but slack-jawed looks and misshapen skulls.

No wonder jihadis hate everyone, if I and all my buddies were as ugly I’d be pissed too.

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM

How many times are you religious bigots going to trash the religion of peace. Just stop it. Stop it! ISIS did not rob Christians as they were leaving. They were merely recovering what those heathen infidels had stolen from the peace loving muslims. sarc.

they lie on July 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I blame Putin.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I blame Obaaaaama. lol and Bush and Clinton. And Abraham Lincoln. Oh heck, I blame George Washington too.

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

bimm, is the end of the world near?

8 weight on July 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Depends on how you define ‘near’. And the world? No. Just the world as we know it.

While I believe that we are definitely in the End Times, the Bible clearly states that no one, save God Himself, knows the hour our the day when it all comes to pass. He says it will come like a ‘thief in the night’.

All the signs are there…all the prophecy is being fulfilled according to the plan..it’s a good time to get right with God, in my humble opinion. Or don’t. He gave us all the gift of choice…

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

No one cares, azzwipe.

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:01 PM

….reset!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 22, 2014 at 7:03 PM

All the signs are there…all the prophecy is being fulfilled according to the plan.. bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Stop. Just stop.

“The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place.” -Rev. 1:1

“Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near.” -Rev. 22:10

“Look, I am coming soon!” -Rev. 22:!2

“Yes, I am coming soon.” -Rev. 22:20

“Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.” -Mt. 23:36

“Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.” -Mt. 24:34

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

…worked yourself out of the buckles again…huh?

JugEarsButtHurt on July 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

ISIS plans on taking Rome and reestablishing Andalusia, this is quite concerning, will I still be able to get a pork sausage pizza in Rome???

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Hey Bishop, liberals have that same look…..

crosshugger on July 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

bimm might want to read up on the 1860s, the 1910s, the 1940s, and the 1960s. This decade is a Disney vacay compared to that.

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

will I still be able to get a pork sausage pizza in Rome??? Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM

No, but there will be oranges aplenty.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Oh come on, dispensationalists have got to sell books somehow.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Those decades have no relevance to what I am referring to, far. I prefer to read up on the Bible and books that assist in the study of it.

You O.K. with that?

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM

If they get to Rome and destroy the Trevi Fountain I am going to be super pissed because I was quite impressed with the thing.

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

And your point is??

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Let them get to Baghdad, then nuke them.

Ward Cleaver on July 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Yuppers.

Bruno Strozek on July 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

…worked yourself out of the buckles again…huh?

JugEarsButtHurt on July 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Yep and took this great opportunity to come and blame Obama and George Washington for IS. It was worth the pain.

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM

And your point is?? bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Are you so dense that you need to be told?

All of the prophecy that you insist is unfolding today was fulfilled in the sack of Jerusalem in AD 70. See also Mark 13 and Luke 21.

Tell em this: in the “days of Noah,” who was taken, and who was left?

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM

IS?

Must be an offshoot of ISIS.

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

IS?

Must be an offshoot of ISIS.

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

ISIS is their old name. They have been IS for weeks now.

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

This can basically be traced back to the election of P.BO.

Count to 10 on July 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM

ISIS is their old name. They have been IS for weeks now.

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

It depends on what the definition of ISIS.

Count to 10 on July 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

IS?

Must be an offshoot of ISIS.

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Depends on what your definition of IS IS.

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Count, I bow to your speedy brain.

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

WOW! great minds think alike. Good one faraway and count to 10. lol

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

ISIS is their old name. They have been IS for weeks now.

coolrepublica on July 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

It depends on what the definition of ISIS.

Count to 10 on July 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

IS?

Must be an offshoot of ISIS.

Bishop on July 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Depends on what your definition of IS IS.

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

…I just had ice tea come out of my nose!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 22, 2014 at 7:23 PM

…I just had ice tea come out of my nose! JugEarsButtHurt on July 22, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Have you been recently drinking iced tea?

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Are you so dense that you need to be told?

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM

You are nuts, pal. And you are patronizing, rude, and obnoxious, to boot.

I was asked a direct question for which I gave my honest answer. And you chime in with your usual belligerence.

Go argue with someone else, pal. I’m not interested.

Have a good night, Bless your little heart…

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM

This should fix things

iceman1960 on July 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Only the REB can lose a war retroactively. God help us.

slickwillie2001 on July 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM

These idjits are so off the radar that even Al Qaeda says, “Whut?” They may take Baghdad, but, what then? They can’t hold crapola for long, but they can change the face of the Middle East for generations. When Christians are under siege in the middle East and everywhere else, (re, secular Europe and Prog USA), what hope is there for Western Civilization? I’m glad I’m on my way out.

vnvet on July 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM

How many of these punks are there? The only number I ever heard was 3000. And the Iraqi army, fully trained by the U.S. in “sensitivity”, “aerobics”, and “boot shining” ran away by the multiple thousands, leaving all the advanced stuff we gave them including tanks, just like the Iraq army did in Desert Storm.

ISIS was driving the tanks around, but I really, really doubt they are up to effectively operating modern US equipment.

Again, how many of these savage punks are there?

Don’t we still have a huge army in the area, Kuwait or somesuch?

Who cares what Al-Maliki thinks. A REAL President would have the answer, and would have already reduced said numbers substantially.

Who is John Galt on July 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Sorry to have called you out on your stalling tactic, and schooled you in basic hermeneutics.

If you’re so superior you should show me the error of my ways, li’l Miss Namecaller.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Religion of peace!!!!!!

/s

Defenestratus on July 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Religion of peace!!!!!! /s Defenestratus on July 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I am not in to getting into a long theological discussion with resident atheists here regarding End Times Prophecy, history or anything else.

I have never professed to be a theologian, although I am never ashamed or shy about sharing my beliefs when asked.

For those of you who are really interested in my reasons for believing as I do, I have often shared a link to a web site maintained by author John Price. He wrote a book on prophecy as it relates to America, Islam and the End Times.

Read it if you wish…or don’t. I do not care…

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I didn’t realize that I was a resident atheist hereabouts. Thanks for informing my ignorance about my theological views, or lack thereof.

Since you think that you know me well enough to call me names, you must also know that I am not an atheist, hence, you are a liar: if I may take a page from your slim volume, and engage in name-calling, by your leave of course.

And we all know who the father of lies is.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I don’t recall seeing your name on the post that I made referring to atheists, Sonny. I, of course, do not know you at all. Nor do I care to.

My post was for the benefit of all. Again, 8 weight asked me a direct question, and I answered. Pretty simple, really.

You simply butted in with a snarky comment and called me ‘dense’. And you say I am the name caller?

I’m done with you. Go argue with yourself, sir. Or ma’am..Whatever you are..

bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Who is John Galt on July 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The Iraqi army and intelligence apparatus have to be the most incompetent and dysfunctional entities of their kinds in history. The fact that ISIS was able to drive a large convoy across the Syrian border without being detected and then make it across miles of empty desert without being shot to pieces is proof.

Walter Sobchak on July 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM

So to which atheist were you referring?

And I commented on your answer, which is sorta what this HA thing is all about.

You are nuts, pal. And you are patronizing, rude, and obnoxious, to boot.

I didn’t call your sense, I asked if you were dense.

I’m done with you. Go argue with yourself, sir. Or ma’am..Whatever you are.. bimmcorp on July 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM

So you’re not willing or able to defend your novel assertions. Ok!

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Absolutely typical of Muslims from the beginning. Jihad is profitable. The early Muslims built their empire by attacking the wealthy around them. The Muslim invasion of Spain and Muslim raids on Europe both engaged in tons of human trafficking, selling women as slaves to harems. At the famous battle in Tours when Charles Martel stopped the Muslim raiding party, he was able to draw them off their defenses in part by making it look like he was out to take away their loot. The Barbary pirates made a lot of money collecting ransoms until we put a stop to it in the early days of our country. Somali pirates. They’re all of one piece. The religion of looting.

I’m not keen on endless wars with people who enjoy fighting too much as it is, but it might be time to pick out the most adventurous group and make an example of them. Then get the next most adventurous group and do the same. Repeat until they get the message.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

They’re all of one piece. The religion of looting. There Goes the Neighborhood on July 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

The Quran is a bandit/pirate code, with an occasional dash of theism. Been saying it for years.

Akzed on July 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM

You can view the full hour long ISIS video Clanking of the Sword over at Conservative voices. It was yanked from YouTube.

Savage.

can_con on July 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM

How’s that Outreach to Islam thingy working out, Your Holiness?

Never mind.

spiritof61 on July 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Soon the Quds Force will step in then the Iranian border will be somewhere west of Baghdad.

Viator on July 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Is it time yet to torch the Al-Aqsa Mosque?

Hammie on July 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM

faraway on July 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Really? The Mohammedan heathen are active in South America, Africa, Europe, the Mid-East, Southern and Eastern Asia. Even the Nazis weren’t as widespread.

And the Nazis and Imperial Japanese didn’t want to die needlessly; but the Mohammedans don’t mind a bit since they believe they’ll go straight to their Paradise.

And Churchill, FDR, and Stalin all realized the danger. Our imPOTUS is busy raising funds and playing golf; the Europeans have fifth columnists in their streets, and the Russians have pretty much put their Chechnyan problem behind them.

No, it’s worse than 1938 now, and it’s trending badly.

ReggieA on July 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM