Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off

posted at 7:21 pm on July 22, 2014 by Allahpundit

A quickie postscript to last Friday’s viral news story du jour. Quote:

“My immediate feeling was to kill him, so he will never hurt anyone again,” the father said.

The father believes Frolander’s bloody and bruised face is getting too much publicity. He said he doesn’t regret his reaction, but he isn’t bragging about it either. He is, however, bragging about his son.

“My son saved Raymond. Raymond was motionless on our floor. I went to the kitchen to grab a butcher knife and my son stopped me. My son came in front of me and saved his attacker’s life,” said the father.

The right of self-defense in Florida entitles you to use force to stop an attack on yourself or another person, including deadly force to prevent imminent death, great bodily harm, or “the imminent commission of a forcible felony.” You can shoot a rapist to stop him, in other words — but once the man’s down and out cold, the attack having been stopped and the perp neutralized, you don’t get to punish him by finishing him off. This guy’s son stopped him right at the line between self-defense and voluntary manslaughter.

Question for legal eagles out there, especially prosecutors: Public support for this guy means there’s no way he’s going to be charged for a crime, especially since he stopped short of inflicting any serious injury, but would his admission that he (momentarily) intended to stab this guy while he was unconscious make you take a second look at the beating? I don’t know how anyone would or could prove that the beating continued past the point that was needed to stop the attack such that it changed from self-defense to assault, but dad’s copping here to some desire to harm the guy, not just disarm him. If his son said, “Yeah, dad kicked him in the face a few times after he passed out,” would that make you revisit the case? Or, realistically, is there just no way you’re going to waste any time pursuing this, knowing that no jury will convict?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Raping a child is a CRIME. He can get ‘treatment’ in prison…while playing the role of the girlfriend to Big Bubba.
Resist We Much on July 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Although true, the father may have used a word that only irrational and incredibly over-sensitive people take as a racial slight. That’s the important thing here. That’s what the real takeaway from this story is!

//–nonpartisan

anuts on July 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I expect better from you

as a legally trained mind, you should know that our criminal justice system isn’t about retribution

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It’s about PUNISHMENT and JUSTICE. Both require anyone, who rapes a child, to be incarcerated indefinitely.

Resist We Much on July 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

You’re right RWM, but unfortunately most states do not impose life imprisonment for child rapists/pedophiles. They should, and I would argue that the death penalty should be imposed for repeat offenders. Fortunately, the inmates typically take care of the latter.

TXUS on July 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

We don’t punish thought crimes in America. If we did, every poster on this board would be in lockup.

With that said, if he did finish the job, most juries would go for not guilty by reason of temporary insanity.

Maddie on July 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM

why do only men rape…

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Care to explain her?

warren on July 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM

We don’t punish thought crimes in America.

Well, except for that guy in jail who made the crappy Mohammed movie Benghazi was blamed on, and the photographer who was forced to take pictures of the gay wedding, and the baker being forced to make gay wedding cakes, and if the likes of Impartisan get their way, nigh every poster on this board.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

A total lost cause, folks. We’re trying to reason with someone who when upon reading a story on child rape and a protecting father wants to focus on the race of the sicko and whether the father offended a sicko’s racial sensibilities. And that that is his/her takeaway gives us a clue to which this person finds more an egregious act.

We can’t infiltrate that level of derangement. It’s simply not possible.

anuts on July 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

We don’t punish thought crimes in America.

The father’s thought about grabbing a knife could prove that he was rational when beating the perpetrator. But that itself is not enough to convict him of battery.

The father would have to have known about his own strength, like if he were a wrestler or weightlifter or into boxing. The prosecution’s case would be stronger if they’ve found evidence he made specific blows to deal the most damage. And they’d need the son’s testimony of what his father said and did. Even then, they’d have a shaky case.

Obviously, that won’t happen.

DevilishSoda on July 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Warren,

According to a 2010 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States have been raped. The actual number is likely higher, experts say, as incidents of sexual violence are severely underreported in the United States — particularly among male victims.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM

We can’t infiltrate that level of derangement. It’s simply not possible.

anuts on July 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

um, I am not in anyway diminishing the horror of the rapists act

he should be punished as heavily as possible, and as I said to another poster, castration may be a fitting treatment

I was answering the question posed in this thread of whether it was possible that the father be convicted of assault

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Maddie on July 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Not for most of us … yet.

Selectively, though, some in high profile positions indeed have been punished for decades now owing primarily to the “political correctness” movement (earliest I recall is “Jimmy The Greek” but I’m sure there were some before him).

No need to run down the many examples, some quite recent (Chik-fil-A, founder of Mozilla, Washington Redskins, et. al.) …

ShainS on July 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Fred Astaire, you are not.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Fred Astaire, you are not.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I don’t follow…

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I don’t follow…

Imagine my surprise.

Fred Astaire was a superb tap dancer, you, not so much.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Imagine my surprise.

Fred Astaire was a superb tap dancer, you, not so much.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM

it’s not my fault for not getting your anachronostic references…I wasn’t born in 1910

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Fred Astaire, you are not.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Snort

katy the mean old lady on July 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Neither was I, but is your fault for not being educated.

F X Muldoon on July 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM

“If I had a son, he would sodomize you bitter clingers’ 11 year-olds.”

ezspirit on July 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Zimmerman!!!

He was set to be hanged by the MSM, especially NBC.

Warning: Soon to be criminals, STOP, you never know what house has a right/ability to catch you, and beat the living cr@p out of you. LOL.

Sabercat2 on July 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM

This nonpartisan joker has to be an AP sock. No one can be that stupid without trying, can they?

butch on July 22, 2014 at 10:58 PM

of assault

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM

No it is not possible.

Bubba Redneck on July 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM

of assault
nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM

No it is not possible.

Bubba Redneck on July 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM

End of discussion.

Remove the squirrel.

itsspideyman on July 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM

@nonpartisan,

Your mind is badly warped. I puke in your general direction.

Splashman on July 23, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Q: Has Parade Float Marshal Eric Holder figured out the father’s race yet?

Terp Mole on July 23, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Q: White House beer summit… too soon?

Terp Mole on July 23, 2014 at 5:49 AM

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Um.. when I encounter a reference in HA comments that I don’t “get” (music and movies, usually), if the topic is interesting enough, I Google the key words.

Find lots of interesting smidgens of information that way.

Like this one.

“Her male counterpart got the lion’s share of publicity but Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did and did it with high heels on and did it backwards,” Reagan commented in 1986.

AesopFan on July 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM

The father is obviously a racist and a homophobe. He thinks all black, gay men molest boys. So he suspected that the guy was a child molestor and wanted to catch the guy in the act so he could be him up.

/lib

/msnbc

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Or, realistically, is there just no way you’re going to waste any time pursuing this, knowing that no jury outside of the San Francisco Bay area will convict?

FIFY

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Still unclear the nature of the relationship of the perpetrator to the family…

Pest on July 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM

also, the fact that the dad, a white guy, called this black guy ‘boy’ makes me uncomfortable over the dad’s inclinations

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM

YOu have got to be sh!tting me!

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 7:43 AM

that’s irrelevant

pedophilia is a mental disease…the pedophiles can’t help themselves. they need treatment

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Serial killers are considered to have mental diseased, too…

Seriously, listen to yourself.

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 7:48 AM

in truth, most men have some impulse to rape, but most men are able to control that impulse or deterred by the legal deterrant. we need to find why some men give in to that impulse.

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Oh f*** off!

Seriously, are you sitting next to a woman and trying to get laid so you post stuff to show what a pro-gay feminist you are?

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 7:53 AM

According to a 2010 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States have been raped. The actual number is likely higher, experts say much, much lower, as incidents of sexual violence rape are severely underreported reported in the United States even when the woman has consentual sex and then regrets it the next day— particularly among male victims.

FIFY

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I’d vote not guilty even if the father tortured the guy for a month before letting him die. I suspect many jurors would at least lean in that direction.

Immolate on July 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM

You missed the point, alas, for reasons unclear, when I tried posting the actual link the post went into the ozone, however, the reference was to female on male rape being underreported.

F X Muldoon on July 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

F X Muldoon on July 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I didn’t miss your point. However, I hate hearing those super-false reports taht 1 out of 5 women have been raped. It’s a BS line that unfortunately still gets traction.

A 15-year-old girl has consentual sex with an 18-year-old man? Guess what. She’s now considered one of that 20%. Woman has consentual sex with a man and then regrets it the next day? She can now consider herself part of the 20%. Woman gets drunk and then has consentual sex? Guess what. The fem-nazis tell her that he’s been raped and consider herself part of the 20%. A woman shows ZERO signs of not wanting the have sex but does not very specifically say “yes, I want to have sex with you” to the man she’s having sex with? Guess what. According the the fem-nazis she can consider herself part of the 20%.

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Still unclear the nature of the relationship of the perpetrator to the family…

Pest on July 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Next-door neighbour. Family friend (presumably, former ff). Had been hanging out with son for 3 years.

gh on July 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Liberalism is a mental disease, so, we have to remember, they can’t help themselves.

Before the 2012 “election”, OFA paid young idiots like nonpartisan to go on every political board and make snarky responsive comments to everyone who was calling out Barry for his shallow class warfare act. Imagine the state of mind of this one, who wastes her time in and endless losing match of wits where she has elected, apparently, to disarm unilaterally

cosifantutte on July 23, 2014 at 9:58 AM

But good luck finding a jury to convict.

SirGawain on July 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Unfortunately, that’s accurate.

rplat on July 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

most men have some impulse to rape

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I need to file this one away.

corkie on July 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

You forgot the most horrifying of all, women who felt pressured to have sex but didn’t actually have sex are counted in that 20%.

JohnBrown on July 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM

JohnBrown on July 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Then there are the young girls…and young boys, like the one in this case…who are molested by their “uncles” and never say anything, or don’t say anything until years later, because they are threatened by the perps.

I condemn women who pull the false rape card, but you guys are simply barking up the wrong tree here. You look like sexist a-holes…which you likely are.

JannyMae on July 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I keep seeing this referred to as simply rape. It was, of course, but this child was a groomed victim, assaulted over several years…so while a single act of rape is always horrific, this was rape of a child, consistently. Much more egregious.

And to those who think there was a racial motivation: the man opened his home to this punk, and trusted him to babysit his child. Doesn’t seem like the actions of a hardened bigot, in my opinion. The father was entirely justified to beat the life out of that disgusting creature.

I agree with whoever said the only “treatment” for pedophiles is castration or death. There is no cure.

Bee on July 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Gay-bashing homophobe “hero”.

JohnBrown on July 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM

You know, I can’t tell whether this is some kind of sick joke or what. This wasn’t a gay relationship, that father isn’t a homophobe nor was what he did anything close to being a “gay-bashing”. The boy was 8 when the abuse started. 8. He’s now 11, which means during some of the more formative years when all he should have been thinking about was how girls have cooties or whatever this monster was subjecting him to some of the worst behavior possible. No, what that father did was justice. Granted a particularly Old Testament kind, which some may find my saying this ironic given that I’m gay myself, but it was justice nonetheless.

JohnAGJ on July 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM

There is only ONE cure for pedophilia.

Death.

portlandon on July 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM

We might not agree on much, but on this we do. Children are not sex toys and those who cannot get that through their sick heads are a very dangerous threat to society as a whole so should be removed – permanently. At the very least it should be an option in the justce system, with whatever protections are needed for false charges.

JohnAGJ on July 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Weird I listened to the video above and never heard the father call the child rapist “boy.”

Conservative4Ever on July 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If the father killed the perv with the knife, Allah is right that he’d have no self defense protection, but he would have a “heat of the moment” justifiable homicide defense.

Nessuno on July 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Pretty much. There’s nobody I personally know, gay or straight, who would disagree with this. I cannot say for certain what I would do if I had caught someone abusing my nephew or nieces, thankfully having been spared having to find out, but I’d guess it would be similar to what this father did.

JohnAGJ on July 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Given that there exists no treatment with any reasonable effectiveness, the recidivism rate isn’t nearly 100% for nothing after all, I’d say that death is the best “treatment” option available. Come up with something better and then maybe we’ll talk. Yet even in such an instance I’d still want their testiculos removed as punishment…

JohnAGJ on July 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM

obviously he was justifiably pissed at the perp…but I think in his anger, he let out his racist views as well (which may be important is he is prosecuted for assault)

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Perhaps, although in this particular instance I find such views to be entirely irrelevant. Besides, assuming that the use of racist words devoid of context is ipso facto evidence that the person using them is racist is a bit weak. Some people forget that there are some situations, like what the father walked in on, where a blinding rage brings out not only a physical reaction but a vocal one as well. In short, even if he had used the most recognizable racist words it would be nothing more than wanting to inflict on the abuser vocal injury, followed by physical of course. Hence why I am skeptical of so-called “hate crimes” laws.

JohnAGJ on July 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Nope. In Florida we have a standard called Corpus Delicti. You have to have 2 elements for a crime, the act, and the intent. The act in this case was not illegal as it was done to protect his son from harm as defined by Florida Statutes. The intent is debatable, but is irrelevant as there was no illegal act

Brock Robamney on July 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Bee on July 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Would you consider this a legitimate rape?

Brock Robamney on July 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Would you consider this a legitimate rape?

Brock Robamney on July 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Oh, absolutely. I probably didn’t word that well. I just felt like it was being minimized to simply one act. Rape is always heinous, but this was several degrees further. That child was groomed and raped for years. Crimes like this just get to me as a parent and I didn’t want the scope of the assault (against the child) to be diminished in the argument.

Bee on July 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

The father is an angel.

The creep will get killed in a cell, doing what he likes.

Schadenfreude on July 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Every pedophile who molests boys have one thing in common. They are all gays.

ConstantineXI on July 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

JohnAGJ on July 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Rape should be a capital offense anyway.

ConstantineXI on July 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM

JannyMae on July 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Looks like you completely ignored all of this…

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM

You used the term, anachronistic, incorrectly. An anachronism is an incorrect or out-of-place historical reference or portrayal. Since FX Muldroon wasn’t historically placing Fred Astaire in any period of time, there can be no anachronism. You could have used the terms outdated, outmoded, old-fashioned, aged, etc. You could have even used the terms archaic, antiquated, medieval, etc., but anachronistic is wrong.

There’s also no requirement to use contemporary references in criticizing one’s debating skills. Saying that nonpartisan is no Einstein, certainly isn’t an antiquated reference, yet Einstein’s birth and death predate Fred Astaire’s by about 20 years. A reference to Fred Astaire might be a bit more obscure, but that only demonstrated nonpartisan’s ignorance.

corkie on July 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM

They can’t be fixed/helped.

Sure they can. I hear there are a lot of guys in prison who do a very good job.

Pedophilia can’t be cured, except by removing the pedophile from this life. I highly recommend it as a treatment.

Of course, nonpartisan will disagree with me. We are in an age of PC that is destroying society. I’m glad I haven’t many more years left to me, but I fear for my grandchildren and I cry for my country that was.

hachiban on July 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM

ok, assuming you’re white and over 18, why dont you go to a black neighborhood and start calling the youngsters ‘boy’, let’s see how that works out for ya

*snickers*

nonpartisan on July 22, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Sure, that would be asking for trouble. That would also be a night and day level of difference to this situation here, with an adult father figure using the word boy to refer to the 18 year old kid who has lived next door since he was much younger, has had the free run of the older man’s home, and whom the older man loved like a son until fifteen minutes ago when he learned the 18 year old been using that relationship to gain access to and rape the older man’s child.

Still unclear the nature of the relationship of the perpetrator to the family…

Pest on July 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM

gh on July 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Probably had been hanging out with the family much longer than 3 years. He’d been molesting the child for 3 years. But pedophiles typically groom their victims AND the victim’s family for a while before they start molesting the kids. It’s unlikely that 3 years ago he showed up as a total stranger and molested the kid the minute they met.

He not only was a neighbor, he was somebody the dad had loved and thought he was mentoring and helping.

He deserved every blow he got. Maybe pedophiles are both that sick and they can’t help being attracted to kids. They can sure help what they actually *do* to kids, though, or would, if they weren’t conscienceless monsters. They plan their acts carefully, groom their victims, carefully lull those around their planned victims into trusting them, and they don’t go around advertising their criminal intentions and committing their crimes in public. That shows they have some control over their actions.

As an adult survivor of this kind of garbage from somebody who should have been my protector rather than my abuser, and as somebody who has consequently done a LOT of reading and studying the topic, anybody who defends them sympathetically (they can’t help it, they need help, not retribution) is somebody I wouldn’t trust around my kids. Just saying.

DeputyHeadmistress on July 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Er, that last paragraph was en re to nonpartisan, in case that isn’t clear.
It looks like that was part of a reply to gh, and I am really sorry about that.

DeputyHeadmistress on July 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Also, can somebody tell me why everybody is so sure the perp is black?

My high school was only 20% white, 70% Mexican (we lived 12 miles from the border), and I thought the kid was most likely hispanic. I see swelling and bruising where nonpartisan sees a black face.

DeputyHeadmistress on July 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I’m no lawyer, but child molesters are lower than Nazis. I think the man could have killed the pedo in cold blood while recording the whole thing and laughing about it and still get little more than a slap on the wrist.

As to the actual scenario, I’m getting the impression that he volunteered this information, even though he could have kept things cleaner by claiming he beat the kid until he stopped fighting and then called the cops. So, for me, this actually improves my opinion of him, as it shows a sense of remorse and some mercy to someone who didn’t necessarily deserve it.

Ultimately, I think a lot of people see this as a father’s job, to protect his children and make examples of those who harm them. That carries a lot of weight, especially in an age where a lot of men feel emasculated or devalued as a parent.

That said, society needs courts and prisons to prevent vigilante justice and as such cannot allow people to take the law into their own hands and execute those who have harmed them. So I would imagine there would be some sort of punishment if the son hadn’t stopped him, and if they were honest about what transpired.

Esthier on July 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Every pedophile who molests boys have one thing in common. They are all gays.

ConstantineXI on July 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

You speak very loudly about what you know so little about. Christianity is not a hammer and you do no good with your daily rants against gays. We have many kids and trust me…lots more than you and your wife have; and we have the same fears as parents have.

I am not religious, and after reading your rants….I do not want to be on the same team with you.

Chill dude.

I do wish you well and not looking for a fight. You may be the hammer, but life is not all full of nails.

HonestLib on July 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Every pedophile who molests boys have one thing in common. They are all gays.

ConstantineXI on July 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Chill dude.

HonestLib on July 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM

What did he say that was so offensive to you? I don’t get it. If an adult male molests male children only, never female ones when he has the chance, is it your argument that we should infer nothing about that molestor’s sexual orientation?

non-nonpartisan on July 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Anyone else have GoodFellas flash through their brains? lol

ddrintn on July 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Is that a reporter or some kind of Bobblehead?

How many times did her head shake there?

PappyD61 on July 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM