Through the looking glass: White House that loves using anonymous sources upset at being attacked by anonymous sources

posted at 8:01 pm on July 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Josh Earnest had himself a day, didn’t he?

He’s grumpy here because of the WaPo story I posted earlier about Obama and the White House having had advance warning about the impending border crisis. Cecilia Munoz, O’s amnesty czar, is quoted by name in that one defending the administration; several law enforcement officials are quoted anonymously criticizing it. In Earnest’s universe, the Hopenchange apparatchik who puts her name to her own self-serving spin is more credible than the anonymous source who risks retaliation from the federal government by exposing the president’s negligence.

“I’m not suggesting that they shouldn’t run their story,” Earnest said. “They’re entirely entitled to doing that. What I think is important is that greater weight should be granted to those who are willing to put a face and a name with specific claims. Cecilia Muñoz, who’s the president’s top immigration adviser, is in that story conveying exactly the White House position…

Two reporters pointed out the White House is hosting its own anonymous call Monday afternoon on a job-training report.

“So, Josh, would you commit then when you have situations like today’s call, which is people picked specifically by the White House to roll out a policy of the White House — would you commit to having those people speak on the record?” asked one journalist…

Earnest said those decisions would be made on a “case-by-case” basis and repeated his position about the “weight” given to the anonymous sources, and told reporters to enjoy the anonymous call later in the day.

Ron Fournier of National Journal translates:

How bereft of a defense on the merits to WaPo’s story must this poor dope be to try convincing a roomful of reporters that anonymous sources are basically inherently untrustworthy? One of the weird things about it is that there’s no use at this point for the White House in pretending that Obama’s serious about border enforcement. He told immigration advocates this month that he’s hoping to extend DACA to a huge class of adult illegals; whatever he does to slow the flow of kids crossing the border illegally right now will be consumed politically by that mega-amnesty later. Even weirder, as John Sexton says, is Earnest arguing that the White House didn’t ignore warnings but has been more or less on top of the border crisis from the beginning. So even as O allegedly tried to stop it, the problem got bigger and bigger? That’s smart power for you.

Comments

These days you HAVE to be anonymous when you criticize Dog Eater, the best you can hope for is a full-bore IRS audit.

Bishop on July 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Do as we say, not as we do.

rbj on July 21, 2014 at 8:07 PM

We know we can’t trust any in the Choom Gang.

formwiz on July 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Trade ya a strawman for an anonymous there Josh. Your boss has a field full of them and won’t miss one.

can_con on July 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Anonymous pundit writes story about anonymous sources.

What a country.

faraway on July 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Most transparent administration ever.

cat_owner on July 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM

New Obama policy: “No Pinocchio Left Behind”.

Rix on July 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM

There are those who say…

rogerb on July 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Wait, this isn’t one of those problems that The Won learned about on TV?

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM

When he reads this in the paper tommorrow, oh boy…..

can_con on July 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Lying Liar.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM

by exposing the president’s negligence.

Holy Carp Allahpundit, you deserve to spend the entire rest of your life in prison for repeating that lie all by it’s self. Nothing that was done by the Whitehouse comes even remotely close to being negligence. Conspiracy with full Mens Rae, yes negligence, not a chance.

oscarwilde on July 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I can’t wait until the man steps out from behind the curtain…

Where’s Toto when you need him/her?

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Josh Earnest had himself a day, didn’t he?

…and the SOB…just started!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Oh, and Allah? Thank you for finding videos WITHOUT that annoying autoplay feature… ;-)

*smoooooch!*

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Where’s Toto when you need him/her?

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Why do you think everyone calls Barack, Dog eater??? Toto was on the menu several years ago just to prevent what you suggest from taking place.

oscarwilde on July 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Summary of every Obama Press Secretary’s job description when asked a question: 1) give excruciatingly long answer so people forget the question. 2) Speak with fake calmness. 3) Mock somebody. 4) Lecture. 5) Make sure you never point with a finger. Ever.

I hate politicians, especially these ones.

boivinator on July 21, 2014 at 8:31 PM

The implication that White House anonymous sources have credibility while others don’t is perfectly in tune with this administration’s attitude in general.

Meremortal on July 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Anatomy of a propaganda :

burrata on July 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM

oscarwilde on July 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!! o_O

[let the chin quivering COMMENCE!]

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM

…Earnest arguing that the White House didn’t ignore warnings but has been more or less on top of the border crisis from the beginning.

On top of it, orchestrating it. Potayto, potahto.

Syzygy on July 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM

He looks a bit like Goebbels. Notice that thin monkey-mouth. I’m a reporter and there is no way I would let this jerk tell me how to do my job. That’s my editors choice and not the Propaganda Department of the Obama administration.

Maybe he needs to get the 2014 copy of the AP Style Book and read some of the chapters on Media Law and News Values . Evidently the pages of his old copy has been used to wipe his ass too many times.

I would use my old copy to wipe that crappy-assed smile off his face.

Walter L. Newton on July 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I would use my old copy to wipe that crappy-assed smile off his face.
Walter L. Newton on July 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

The hardcover edition, I’m sure ;-)

Query: Front cover first or back cover?

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

More lies from Camp Tranquility.

Another Drew on July 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I would use my old copy to wipe that crappy-assed smile off his face.
Walter L. Newton on July 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Chucking one of those old Royals or Underwoods at him might do the trick.

Another Drew on July 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM

The hardcover edition, I’m sure ;-)

Query: Front cover first or back cover?

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I’d probably just smack him in the head with the whole thing. It’s almost 500 pages thick.

Or I could use my online version plug in for Microsoft WORD.

But then I would have to smash his face into my monitor.

Decision, decisions.

Walter L. Newton on July 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Decision, decisions.
Walter L. Newton on July 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I was thinking a two-fer (at the very least) would be in order…

Newtie and the Beauty on July 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

How long before Ernest gets tired of being President Liar’s punching bag and gets the heck out of Dodge?

HiJack on July 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Another Carnival barker clown, like Carney. All of the professional integrity of an MSNBC host.

Jaibones on July 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Piker…

KCB on July 21, 2014 at 10:22 PM

“There are those who say” that President DogEater should just put on her big girl panties, quit crying, and get to work.

RoadRunner on July 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Good Lord, he’s even worse than the last one.

I still can’t believe Terry frikn Mcauliff made governor.
We are so scroomed.

S. D. on July 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM

HiJack on July 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

You must be joking.

This little punk enjoys it.

Reminds me of Ezra Klein or Josef Goebbels.

Adjoran on July 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM

HiJack on July 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

You must be joking.

This little punk enjoys it.

Reminds me of Ezra Klein or Josef Goebbels.

Adjoran on July 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM

It’s obviously the peak of his career, to this point and thereafter.

slickwillie2001 on July 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Anonymous pundit writes story about anonymous sources.

The quality of his analysis, which is why I come to this site, is more important to me than his identity – which I’m sure he has reasons for not disclosing.

mrsknightley on July 22, 2014 at 8:22 AM