Open thread: Semi-retired president to interrupt endless summer with new statement on Ukraine at 10:50 ET

posted at 10:41 am on July 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Over/under on when he walks to the podium is 11:15.

I’m intrigued by the setting for this one. A presser on the lawn instead of in the briefing room usually signals some semi-significant news.

My guess is he’s going to announce that U.S. intelligence now officially concurs with the judgment of everyone else in the world, that MH17 was brought down by Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine using a sophisticated missile supplied by Uncle Vladimir. How’d they learn to operate a system like that? Take one guess:

Indeed, Air Force Gen. Philip Breedlove said in June the U.S. military’s intelligence was that rebels were being trained in tanks and anti-aircraft capability across the border, before heading back into eastern Ukraine to put it into practice.

According to IHS Jane’s Defense, a resource for intelligence and defense analysis, operating a Buk requires a trained crew. While the government of Ukraine also has Buk missile systems, Jane’s notes that the Ukrainian military has none of the systems in the region near the MH17 crash, as they were overtaken by pro-Russian separatists.

“The system is not a simple system to use. You need at least four to six months of training and ongoing training to operate it,” Ronald Bishop, a former U.S. Air Force missile expert, told Australia’s Warwick Daily News. “To fire this system you need to have highly-specialized military training.”

Was it really “rebels” who fired the BUK or was it actual Russian soldiers posing as Ukrainian separatists, as has been Putin’s M.O. since he made his move on Crimea? Presumably a fully equipped Russian military force would have been able to tell that MH17 was a passenger jet; a bunch of rebels, armed with BUKs but maybe not the radar needed to distinguish military planes from civilian ones, might not have. Hence the fatal mistake.

Incidentally, if you’re wondering why President Bankshot didn’t abort his burger run last week as soon as the plane went down and return immediately to the White House, here’s what one of his aides had to say:

“It is rarely a good idea to return to the White House just for show, when the situation can be handled responsibly from the road,” said Jennifer Palmieri, the White House communications director. “Abrupt changes to his schedule can have the unintended consequence of unduly alarming the American people or creating a false sense of crisis.”

Changing his schedule at the last minute might alarm Americans more than Russian proxies blowing passenger jets out of the sky, says Ron Fournier? That’s not a crisis?

While we wait, enjoy Ron Paul being even Ron-Paul-ier than usual about MH17.

Update: He showed up late as expected, said nothing about sanctions, and was gone in 10 minutes. The reviews are in:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

LOVE the “semi-retired” moniker.

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

He’s more late than usual.

He probably saw that tranny Michelle naked this morning and it spooked excited him.

sentinelrules on July 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Fixed.

And then he had to run to the bathroom and gratify himself.

UltimateBob on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

The Associated Press @AP · 28s

MORE: Obama accused pro-Russian separatists in the area of removing evidence and bodies from the crash site: http://apne.ws/1mwvN3i

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

World, you mucking forons, you shouted orgasmically “obama, obama, obasma”. He’s all yours, you fools!

Schadenfreude on July 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Made me chuckle!

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

#dontshootdownplanes

There, I did Barry and Moochelle’s job. Now back to the tax-payer funded frivolities.

contrarian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

When’s the State Department going to issue a #hashtag and get this mess cleaned up?

jaime on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Did Dear Reader “call for” things to stop being fubar again?

I’m sure it’ll work this time.

forest on July 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Even shorter Obama: “I’ve done nothing and will continue to do nothing.” I guess that’s unfair. He did say he’d send bolt neck over to tell the Israelis to back off from defending themselves.

polly2150 on July 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Cessation? What’s he talking about, quitting smoking or acts of terror?

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM

JetBoy: Lol,..Choooming,…

….Back to 2012,..BiBi is going to tell Hopey to Boink Off-:0

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Can you imagine the outrage if MH17 had been full of Americans?

Happy Nomad on July 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Actually, I doubt Oblahblah’s reaction would have been much different. Some fundraisers, couple of late-starting, short, questionless “pressers” and off to another vacation.

Yep, I’m thinking even if it were all Americans, that’s about the way it would go.

Meople on July 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

contrarian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Doing the hard work of the Obama administration.

jaime on July 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

MTF on July 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

When you say “decimate” do you mean to reduce it by 10%, or to 1/10th of its current size?

Another Drew on July 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Get your bros to quit shooting rockets at Israel.

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM

davidk: Exactly:)

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Even shorter Obama: “I’ve done nothing and will continue to do nothing.”

polly2150 on July 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Let’s recap:
- Obama allowed Russia to put BUKs in Ukraine
- Obama allowed Russia to shoot down 11 cargo planes with the BUK
- Obama did not destroy the BUK systems
- Obama allowed Russia to move those dead bodies (he did not rescue them)

faraway on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

What’s up HL? Glad to see your post, I hope you’re well.

22044 on July 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for the kind words. Been out of country for 12 or so weeks and just getting back in the daily grind. Body thinks it is tomorrow early am, but will be back in tip top shape in a week.

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Sounds like I missed another rousing Obama presser. Is it January 2017 yet?

Jack_Burton on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Happy Nomad on July 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

President Precious does not do “outrage”.

Another Drew on July 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

What’s on his lunch menu today? Not covered very well by the media.

RSbrewer on July 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Meople on July 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

As I posted above, I think that the fundraisers are necessary for the rat-eared wonder’s ego. He needs to feed off a room of people that actually like him. That is why he loathes having to speak like he did today and literally said a bunch of platitudes, threw down the mic, and ran away without taking any questions. Seriously the man was running away from that podium.

Happy Nomad on July 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Cut him some slack. He’s been awake less than an hour.

ConstantineXI on July 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Thats probably the truth.

BobMbx on July 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Another Drew on July 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I don’t mean it in the Roman Army punishment sense (line up the troops and order each group of nine to kill the tenth next to them). I intended it to mean “destroy and demoralize” in the current popular usage sense. Was that not obvious in context? Sorry about that– I’ll be blunter in the future so you can better understand.

MTF on July 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

#dontshootdownplanes

contrarian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

(golf clap)

Oh, well played, ol’ sport…

JohnGalt23 on July 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Since 1948, the Arab countries and government have been paying mostly lip service to the Palestinians.

“They have money and oil, but don’t care about the Palestinians, even though we are Arabs and Muslims like them. What a Saudi or Qatari sheikh spends in one night in London, Paris or Las Vegas could solve the problem of tens of thousands of Palestinians.” — Abdel Bari Atwan, Palestinian editor.

“Some Arabs were hoping that Israel would rid them of Hamas.” — Ashraf Salameh, Gaza City.

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

And then he had to run to the bathroom and gratify himself.

UltimateBob on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Why would he do that when he’s got his media fluffers at the ready?

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

What’s on his lunch menu today? Not covered very well by the media.

RSbrewer on July 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

He’s celebrating Hispanic culture today, so it’s chihuahua for starters and then a main course of Chilean Fox Terrier.

mankai on July 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Cessation? What’s he talking about, quitting smoking or acts of terror?

I think it was Acts of Tragedy.

Mike Morrissey on July 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Congress, in a rare show of unity, passes by unanimous consent a bill to ban the personal use of the SA-11 Anti-Aircraft

BobMbx on July 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

damn ghost in my machine…..pushing buttons for me….I wonder if its the NSA or my own IT guys……

BobMbx on July 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 1m

Pres Obama says he has told @JohnKerry to push for an immediate cessation of hostilities by Israel and Hamas.

Replied to 0 times

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 6s

Before his remarks on Ukraine, Pres Obama mentioned @JohnKerry’s trip to middle east to seek ceasefire between Israel & Palestinians.

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Happy Nomad on July 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I have wondered about all the fundraisers myself. I have noticed that during stressful or high work load situations; poorly trained individuals tend to perform tasks they are most comfortable with instead of the correct or hard tasks.

Way to many times I have had to remind a student to fly the darn plane first and stop finger “insert F’ing word”) with the instruments or radio.

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Is it January 2017 yet?

Jack_Burton on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

913 days

Brat on July 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Sounds like I missed another rousing Obama presser. Is it January 2017 yet?

Jack_Burton on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Nope, but in two and half more years it will all be over if it’s not over before then.

HiJack on July 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

LOVE the “semi-retired” moniker.

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Semi-retarded is more like it.

Schadenfreude on July 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We’re living in a nightmare.

HiJack on July 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Washing hands:

BreakingNews Buster ‏@breakingnews70 3m

President Obama: ‘The burden now is on Russia to insist that separatists stop tampering with the crash site’ – live video #breakingnews

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

But your brain is back and it’s wittier than before. Good to have you home.

Schadenfreude on July 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

“Russia will continue to isolate itself from the international community”

Seriously? Putin has been so “isolated” that he was last seen yucking it up with Angela Merkel at the World Cup final in Rio. I guess Common Core also redefined the meaning of “isolation”…

rcpjr on July 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

LOVE the “semi-retired” moniker.

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

We’ll see it a lot more.
The Obamateurisms left us, but any of us could come up with “Semi-Retired Presidentisms of the Day” if we wanted to.

22044 on July 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Can you imagine the outrage if MH17 had been full of Americans?

Happy Nomad on July 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Again it depends..if it was a charter plane full of people going to the RNC convention, he would replace the missile and try for another plane.

However, if a bunch of faggots and transgenders going to a Gay Pride event, there would be hell to pay. He would demand the perps give out free contraceptives.

txdoc on July 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

The thumb-sucking little bear is hiding from the Russian Bear.

faraway on July 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

UK court orders ‘Glee’ must change its name in Britain because it breaches comedy club chain trademark – @APEntertainment

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Did the POTUS (Putz of the United States) level some kind of threat to Putin? Another red line?

Weak sauce. He looked way out of his league.

freedomfirst on July 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Israeli-Palestinian conflict
2m
Photo: Secretary of State John Kerry departs for meetings in Cairo on Gaza violence – via @JohnKerry

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

But your brain is back and it’s wittier than before. Good to have you home.

Schadenfreude on July 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Thanks my dear friend and I very much missed our chats. The wife (TIWSWTBCOTI) “That Is What She Wants To Be Called On The Internet”….just sent me a text and informed me I was only gone 9 weeks and not 12. Sheesh, I have my very own personal mod looking over my posts.

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

CNNMoneyVerified account ‏@CNNMoney

U.S. stocks retreat at the open as Ukraine and Gaza worry investors. Dow declines 56 points. http://cnnmon.ie/bkgnews

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Glenn Beck just announced he will take a bus load of teddy bears to the Ukraine.

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Man, read the thread this morning where you were getting beaten up pretty good (was going to say taking it on the chin…Chuckle!), but did not post as you would not see my comment there. While we do not always agree, I do not think the way you were treated was appropriate. Maybe there is history with you and some of the other posters?

You have always been cordial with me, even when we disagree, and I respect that.

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Respect is a two-way street, my friend.

(was going to say taking it on the chin…Chuckle!)

*giggety*

I’ll assume you’re talking about the thread re: Dude gets the shiz kicked out him by dad…? I can only talk to brick walls for so long before I realize nothing is sinking in, and it’s time to walk away.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Obama said international investigators have been denied access to the site “which begs the question, ‘what exactly are they trying to hide?’ ”

Hmmmm, let’s ask Lois Lerner.

Brat on July 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

“I am calling for the end of accidenting these planes out of the air.”

DWoDiego on July 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Just for the hell of it:

CNN VideoVerified account ‏@CNNVideo

“We didn’t have any motive to target this plane,” rebel leader tells @ChrisCuomo on #MH17: http://cnn.it/1tpOZFI pic.twitter.com/NQTO1zRPYq

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Heh, look at him way up there, like Zeus atop Mt. Olympus, waving to “the little people” way down here.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

*giggety*

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Brick wall?? Certainly not me, LOL.. I even defended you on that thread…

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

JetBoy: He looks stoned, or Loopy———————–:0

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

txdoc on July 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

That’s nice.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

We don need no steenking pipeline:

CNN Breaking News @cnnbrk · 10h

Fire official: Two trains collided in southeastern Wisconsin Sunday night, causing 5,000 gallons of diesel to spill. http://cnn.it/1kKHy6y

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

And STILL more than Obummer will do… ;)

dominigan on July 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Brick wall?? Certainly not me, LOL.. I even defended you on that thread…

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Wasn’t talking about you (or others that posted similar comments there) as a brick wall. It should be self-evident of whom I was referring to.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Which was he on his way to, a fundraiser or a golf date, when he stopped to make these inane comments?

maryo on July 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I hope they’re water-proof…it’s going to be a trifle damp on that bus for a while.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

That’s nice.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

The “doc” is a complete jackwad. Don’t even bother.

katy the mean old lady on July 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM

The Associated Press @AP · 59s

BREAKING: AP reporter: Train with bodies from Malaysian plane crash leaves station; destination unknown.

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

June…July….September……I feel I am getting warm.

HonestLib on July 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Once again, the title says “semi-retired president”, whereas the correct spelling is “semi-retarded”.

Rix on July 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine, July 17, 2014
7m
Malaysian PM says black boxes from MH17 will be handed over to Malaysian officials tonight – @CNBC, @Reuters
End of alert

The Associated Press @AP · 13s

BREAKING: Malaysia’s prime minister reaches deal with rebel leader to allow ‘safe access’ to crash site.

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Brick wall?? Certainly not me, LOL.. I even defended you on that thread…

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me, JetBoy!!! Do you know what LOL means? Get a sense of humor, pal.

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I really must have a big problem with getting my points across in a much clearer fashion. It wasn’t my intent to be snarky or sarcastic…and on second reading of my first reply, it seems it could be taken that way. I was agreeing with you 100%…just for the record.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Does he really think that just the sight of him mumbling platitudes works anymore?

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine, July 17, 2014
2m
More: Malaysian PM says MH17 victims’ bodies to be sent to Netherlands, with 6 Malaysian investigators accompanying them – @W7VOA

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM

No harm/no foul

bimmcorp on July 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Once every six years, this guy says something truthful that almost justifies his being a U.S. Senator. Guess he considers himself covered until 2020 after nailing this exactly.

Lindsey Graham Verified account ‏@GrahamBlog

The people who appreciated President Obama’s speech the most were the Russians. Talks loud. No stick.

Retweet
Favorite

Retweets 25

Gingotts on July 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

D*mmitts:

Sheera Frenkel @sheeraf · 4m

Israeli military just announced 7 more Israeli soldiers killed today in fighting in Gaza.

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Gaza, PS
3m
7 Israeli soldiers and officers killed in last 24 hours in Gaza Strip – @haaretzcom
Read more on haaretz.com

IDF @IDFSpokesperson · 41s

In the past 24 hours, 7 IDF soldiers were killed while fighting Hamas terrorists in Gaza.

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2014 at 12:44 PM

After seeing his interview on FOX with Chris Wallace yesterday, and his inane ramblings, the answer is a solid “yes”…he fully thinks his empty rhetoric works.

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Dylan Byers @DylanByers

What was the point of that press conference?
9:24 AM – 21 Jul 2014

The point, Mr Byers, was he went on record making a statement (however lame) and showed up to vote ‘present’.
He knows his presidency is over.

partsnlabor on July 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM

…what a low-life we have as president!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM

He showed up late as expected

Several years ago, I worked with a coworker that always walked into any meeting at one minute after it was scheduled to start. He felt that it made him appear ‘busy’ and therefore, less likely to have added work assigned to him.

BTW, each of us had a fixed calendar when work assignments were due. He’d complete his work prior to the due date, and turn them in only when due.

Sheesh, what a couple of maroons.

socalcon on July 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

NATOSource @NATOSource · 1m

.@FT posts photo of #MH17 crash, it says shows signs of damage from missile strike http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/1d6a9ac2-10e3-11e4-b116-00144feabdc0.html#axzz387eMDyhZ … #Ukraine

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM

JetBoy on July 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I was talking about The Won but watching Kerry tell us that those same said platitudes are saving the world is pretty entertaining.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM

He shows up late every time because he’s too stupid to understand Valerie’s instructions. They have to program TOTUS.

Jaibones on July 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Zeke Miller @ZekeJMiller · 11s

RT @NoahPollak: Emergency Committee for Israel statement on Obama’s call for a cease-fire: Let Israel win. http://www.committeeforisrael.com/eci_statement_on_john_kerry_s_trip_to_the_middle_east
============================================================

ECI statement on President Obama’s call for a cease-fire in Gaza
Posted by Noah Pollak 5pc on July 21, 2014 · Flag

Today the Emergency Committee for Israel released the following statement on the Obama administration’s call for a cease-fire in Gaza and John Kerry’s trip to the Middle East:

Israel does not need a mediator. Israel needs an ally. Pressuring Israel to agree to a cease-fire that rescues Hamas from defeat and leaves it in possession of its missiles, tunnels, and terror infrastructure is foolish and wrong. If President Obama and Secretary Kerry want to advance the cause of peace in the Middle East, they should support Israel and its campaign to end the terror threat from Gaza.

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

So he’s driving. Good choice.

Barnestormer on July 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Sheesh, what a couple of maroons.

socalcon on July 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

At least your former coworker completed his work. I’m not sure what Obama actually does substantively.

Fenris on July 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Stern warning

Schadenfreude on July 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Obama: “We also have serious concerns about the rising number of Palestinian civilian deaths and Israeli lives

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Digest that phrase.

He is saying he cares deeply about how many Pally’s are dying and worries how many Jooooz are living through the missile attacks.

In press conference mumbling, veritas.

Dolce Far Niente on July 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

#dontshootdownplanes

contrarian on July 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Crying for someone with photoshop and twitter abilities that I lack.

talkingpoints on July 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 6s

canopfor on July 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Apparently Barry read in the papers this morning that Kerry was to the Mid East to put a word in on the situation. It then occurred to him that he ought to mention this to the press as he is the Commander in Chief or POTUS or some such thing. Ergo, the mid-morning statement.

parke on July 21, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Just as many (23%) say the theory that Obama is not an American citizen is true, with another 17% who aren’t sure. Sixty percent (60%) reject that theory as false.

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Update:
Glenn Beck just announced he will take a bus plane load of teddy bears to the Ukraine.

Ummm…good luck with that.

Galtian on July 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Mosul’s remaining Christians were fleeing the city yesterday after the brutal ISIS occupiers told them to convert to Islam or face summary execution. In a statement read out at the city’s mosques, the Islamists told Christians that they had until midday to either convert or pay a “jizya” – a tax on non-Muslims. Those who refused to comply would be killed.

“We offer them three choices: Islam; the dhimma contract – involving payment of jizya; if they refuse this they will have nothing but the sword,” the statement said.

The BBC reports that the group cited a historic contract known as a dhimma, in which non-Muslims must pay a fee to receive protection. They may also be subject to various humiliations, such as having to shave their heads, wear a red belt around their necks or wear only one shoe.

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Fee hike Tax increase:

Transportation Security Administration fees on plane tickets are rising Monday, and travelers used to non-stop flights or long layovers will notice the biggest change.

The current fee is $2.50 for a non-stop flight or $5 for a connecting flight. The new fee will be $5.60 for all flights, with any connection longer than four hours counting as a separate flight.

Although Congress approved the fee hike to help reduce the deficit, TSA is the agency getting pounded by more than 300 comments through Friday largely criticizing the agency and government taxation. Although the fees are going into effect, TSA will collect comments through Aug. 19.

davidk on July 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM