Gallup: The most well known and well liked Republican contenders are … Mike Huckabee and Rand Paul

posted at 5:01 pm on July 18, 2014 by Allahpundit

“Huckabee/Paul.” Say it aloud. Go on.

It sounds like music, doesn’t it?

Seriously, though, I’m surprised. Not by Huck’s standing, but by Rand’s:

hp

Huckabee’s well known because he’s a former candidate and he’s been on Fox News for years. Paul Ryan’s well known because he was on the Republican ticket in 2012. Rick Perry’s well known because he ran in 2012 and has been ubiquitous on TV lately thanks to the border crisis. But how did Rand Paul get that sort of name recognition? This would kinda sorta make sense to me if it was a poll of all adults or all registered voters because Paul’s been trying so hard this year to get the attention of independents and disaffected Democrats. But it’s a poll of Republicans and leaners, and yet Rand’s “familiarity” score is 10 points higher than his Senate contemporary Rubio’s — and Rubio had plenty of air time last year from conservative media because of the Gang of Eight bill. I can only assume that libertarians are the difference. If you’re a fan of the Pauls but ignore mainstream Republican politics, you might (grudgingly) identify as “lean Republican” for a poll like this even though Rand’s the only guy on your radar screen. That means you’re largely unfamiliar with Rubio, Cruz, and Walker but very familiar with, and supportive of, Paul. Good news for him, if true — these are the voters he’s counting on to give him an edge in Iowa and New Hampshire while the rest of the field divvies up mainstream Republicans and tea partiers.

Those Christie and Bush numbers are interesting too, huh? It’s not a total disaster for Christie since he does comparatively well with Democrats in the poll. He’s at -12 among Dems, tied with Jindal for the smallest negative margin among the other party. (And Jindal’s number is mainly due to the fact that so few Democrats know who he is.) Obviously Christie’s not going to compete for many Dems if he’s the GOP nominee but this suggests that he may still have a little extra appeal to independents. Bush is a different story, though. Not only is he slightly underwater among Republicans, he’s — wait for it — at -34 among Democrats, the worst number of any Republican in the field, Ted Cruz included. That has less to do with Jeb himself, I’m sure, than with the residue of Bush-hate on the left, but it is what it is. If Jeb runs, his pitch will be that he can bring more undecided centrists into the GOP tent than any right-wing candidate could. “Jeb Smith” might be able to do that, true. But Jeb Bush?

Comments

No to the fake evangelical Huckster. And as much as it pains me to say it, NO to the open borders loving isolationist Paul.

ConstantineXI on July 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Huckabee/Paul 2016.

Rope/Soap 2017.

Rix on July 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Good grief.

SailorMark on July 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Throwdown!

I’ll take that party defining fight anyday.

Nessuno on July 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Welp, we’re boned!

squint on July 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM

YAWN another poll that means NOTHING RIGHT NOW.

Walker will be the nominee in 2016. He will be the only one who will have vast appeal in the Republican circle.

BroncosRock on July 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM

No and NO….

melle1228 on July 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I don’t care what Gallup says. I want Jindal!!!!

lineholder on July 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM

BroncosRock on July 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM

He’s wobbly on amnesty.

Let’s face it, the Establishment is going to force feed us the Jeb Bush crap sandwich and we know it.

ConstantineXI on July 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Oh good Lord!

This isn’t a poll with any merit. I know and like the Huckster (as a commentator). That doesn’t mean I’d vote for the guy who is a total squish on social issues and hides behind his Bible when it comes to defending his positions.

As for Paul, I know and do not like him. He’s as bad as his father when it comes to understanding that isolationism is not a good long-term solution and doesn’t stand up to what America should do if it aspires to being a world leader. Paul essentially embraces the same world view as Obama and that is unacceptable.

Happy Nomad on July 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM

It sounds like music, doesn’t it?

♫ Say it loud and there’s music playing /
Say it soft and it’s almost like praying…♪

Kensington on July 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM

So…President Warren, then?

Ugh.

Kensington on July 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM

The Left controls the public schools. They created the low-information voter. It took them decades, but they’ve won. They had better planning.

RBMN on July 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Look at the bright side…

The other side has a fake Indian, and a fake woman.

faraway on July 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

We’re screwed.

Walter L. Newton on July 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Jindal/Walker

“Little less talk and a lot more action

lineholder on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

The Huckster is loose

faraway on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Randabee?

LetsBfrank on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Look at the bright side…

The other side has a fake Indian, and a fake woman.

faraway on July 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

You mean Moochelle, right? As hard as it is to believe, Hildabeast actually is a real woman.

ConstantineXI on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

“Huckabee/Paul.” Say it aloud. Go on.

I tried, but it came out “YAY!/Groan…”

Stoic Patriot on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

RBMN on July 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

They play a proactive long game; we play “react and panic”.
You do the math.

squint on July 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Incessant media coverage. If you’re a member of the media who loves pushing for Republicans to become pacifist drug-lovers who think voter fraud isn’t a big deal, then Paul’s the guy you’re going to push.

Stoic Patriot on July 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM

The Rickster seems to be right up there, so all’s not lost. He’s been looking very Presidential lately, and had the nerve and the brains to show up Obutthead the other day.

Tell me, of the two of them (Perry and Barky) walking on the tarmac together, who looked more Presidential?

NOMOBO on July 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Last weekend I talked with 2 different non-political types; “independents” if you will, who couldn’t differentiate between Rand Paul and Paul Ryan (one kept calling somebody Paul Rand).

Who in hell can say who they think is going to be on the ballot, or who they thought was being asked about in a survey?

Uh huh, gimmee dem poll numbers, baby! Our Preezy Predictacator is on the money ebbery time!

Dolce Far Niente on July 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM

It’s over 2 years away. Polls this far out are meaningless (read – they mean nothing – they don’t predict anything). TPAW was also 1st. Huntsman was polling well at one time. Also, Lots of things are changing.

Paul and Ryan will be in the gutter as soon as the R LIV* find out that they are for open borders. Strangely, even though I am not a fan, Huckabee might be my guy if he keeps calling for deportation. Isn’t it a strange time when Huckabee is less “compassionate” and more rational than 99% of Rs in office.

* LIV might save the nation this time because ,believe it or not, they are overwhelmingly against open borders. Even they understand that it’s suicide. Even the LIV lock their doors at night.

BoxHead1 on July 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM

It will be interesting to hear which candidate the MSM tries to puff for the low info republican voter.

Deano1952 on July 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Huckabee and Paul are very likeable people. I have friends who are likeable people.

Doesn’t mean I want them to be President.

I’m a bit surprised Rand is that well known though.

cat_owner on July 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I’m writing in Sarah.

The whole lot is worthless.

renalin on July 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Jindal/Walker

“Little less talk and a lot more action“

lineholder on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

That’s seems ok.

LilyBart on July 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I’d stay home before I’d vote for Huckchuck; I could vote for Rand Paul with misgivings.

CatoRenasci on July 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I could vote for Rand Paul with misgivings.

CatoRenasci on July 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

But how would you know *which* Rand Paul you were voting for? He changes his positions so frequently.

LilyBart on July 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Rand Paul made a name for himself with his epic filibuster. Non-politicals noticed. And his purpose wasn’t about banning contraceptives (snark right there) so even Democrats who don’t know what left wing/right wing really means probably think he’s somewhat cool. Plus there is a whole lotta love from the Aqua Budda types.

LetsBfrank on July 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM

The huckster would appoint his BFF Todd Akin to some cabinet position. That rules him out for me.

meci on July 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I had a discussion with a Paultard in my family a few months ago. He went on and on about Ron, Rand, Justin Amash and that whole gang. Then I mentioned Scott Walker and he had no idea who he was.

Mark1971 on July 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I choked down vomit while voting for Romney.

But I will NEVER. EVER. vote for Huckabee.

NEVER.

portlandon on July 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Likeability is incredibly important. Don’t ask me why, but plenty of voters supported Obama–and still stand by him–because they like him personally.

Nevermind that he has been an abysmal president. He’d be great to have a burger and fries with. Why do you think the “bear” is spending shameful amounts of time visiting Starbucks and Chipotle when the world is in upheaval?

I’ve said over and over again that Romney didn’t lose because he was too moderate–as idiotic TruCons insist–but because he wasn’t likeable enough.

Meredith on July 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I choked down vomit while voting for Romney.

But I will NEVER. EVER. vote for Huckabee.

NEVER.

portlandon on July 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’ll second this. I can’t stand the guy.

deepdiver on July 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Be prepared to lose.

Huckabee: Preaching for profit, GOPe RINO

Paul: Unprincipled GOPe RINO

Christie: Marginal intelligence ( Mean and Stupid), Democrat RINO

Jeb Bush, perhaps the least intelligent of all the Bushies, and that’s saying a lot.

I will stay home with about 10 million of my best friends.

Exninja on July 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I’m begging you guys, please stop talking about the 2016 election. Unless something is done now there won’t be one. Worry about making this year’s election legal first.

crankyoldlady on July 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM

He’s wobbly on amnesty.

ConstantineXI on July 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM

They’re *all* wobbly on amnesty. Just who do you have in mind?

Buck Farky on July 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Likeability is incredibly important.

I’ve said over and over again that Romney didn’t lose (COULDN’T WIN) because he was too moderate–as idiotic TruCons insist–but because he wasn’t likeable enough.TRUCONS REFUSED TO VOTE FOR HIM LIKE i TOLD THEM TO.

Which is why the far right can light all the candles they want to Cruz and Palin, neither will ever win a national election. On a personal level, they just turn people off. I just hate them so much.
So write away, renalin. You’re wasting your time. At least Cruz has some substance, but the Palin nuts really are off-the-wall clueless. I really REALLY HATE HER. I hate him too but I HATE HER SO MUCH IT MAKES ME NAUSEOUS.

I hate all Conservatives, but that’s not the point. NOBODY could like a Conservative. So that’s why. They can’t ever win. And shut up.

Meredith on July 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Edited to reflect the inside of Merideth’s brain.

Dolce Far Niente on July 18, 2014 at 5:49 PM

BoxHead1 on July 18, 2014Paul and Ryan will be in the gutter as soon as the R LIV* find out that they are for open borders at 5:23 PM

Is there a potential republican candidate who is not for amnesty or open borders?

shubalstearns on July 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I tried, but it came out “YAY!/Groan…”

Stoic Patriot

You’re lucky. I tried it and my lunch came out….both ends.

xblade on July 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM

But how did Rand Paul get that sort of name recognition?

Because f*ckwits have been bleating about his father for so long, the see ‘Rsomething Paul’ and think they know who they’re talking about.

Midas on July 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM

“Huckabee/Paul.” Say it aloud. Go on.

Hell to the double-”NO”.

Midas on July 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I will stay home with about 10 million of my best friends.

Exninja on July 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

… loading ammo, stockpiling food and filling sandbags…

Reuben Hick on July 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

LilyBart on July 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

For example?

joana on July 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Very interesting..Still early..:)

Dire Straits on July 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Jindal or Rand, please.

Aizen on July 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM

He’s wobbly on amnesty.

ConstantineXI on July 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM

If you think Walker isn’t acceptable on amnesty, then there isn’t and won’t be any candidate who’s acceptable by your standards. Why don’t you run?

Are you afraid the electorate will see you as a spineless lunatic who claims to hate the GOP on even days and who obsesses over the GOP the rest of the week?

Considering you hate everybody, I’m not sure there’s a better alternative. If every guy is unacceptable to you, put your ideas out there and let’s see how popular they are.

joana on July 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Stoic Patriot on July 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I don’t think the republican establishment along with the so-called “conservative media” will let Rand get anywhere near the nomination. Rand is too much of a free thinker. However, this spells bad news for the gop in 2016 because it means we’re gonna get stuck with another “mainstream”, neoconservative candidate who pretends to be socially conservative while obeying the directives of big, corporate donors.

A McCain/Romney type of candidate won’t cut it in 2016.

shubalstearns on July 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Mobydith on July 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Romney lost. Get over it.

fortcoins on July 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The Ronulans have managed to spam Gallup now? I’m surprised at Rand’s name recognition too. I actually like him in many ways, but I’m kind of scared of him on the foreign stuff.

I hate Huck, like Perry, but whatever. Nothing I can say or do has any influence whatsoever on the presidential primary race, so I’m focused on 2014.

juliesa on July 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Are you kidding me? Huckster and Fence-Sitter?

What a clusterfark.

Conservchik on July 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I don’t care who likes who — I like Cruz, Walker, and Jindal. Rand Paul, Chris Christie and Jeb Bush make me ill.

Conservchik on July 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Cruz, Walker, Jindal, or Perry would have an uphill battle. They would face not only Dems and the media, but all the GOP Falsecons who would “Cochran” them at every opportunity.

fortcoins on July 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Yuck and yuck. Can we resurrect Thomas Jefferson?

rickv404 on July 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM

A McCain/Romney type of candidate won’t cut it in 2016.

shubalstearns on July 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The so-called “conservative media” is a paper tiger. Put them all together, from the talk radio hosts like Levin and Limbaugh, to bloggers like Allah and Reynolds, passing through columnists and pundits like Palin and Krauthammer and in terms of electoral impact, it’s all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The conservative media hated McCain with a passion and he easily warped up the nomination. They then hated Romney and he. Even more damming, the candidates they tend to like and support tend to fizzle out of the race after single digits performances in the first couple of states.

There’s only one way of winning the Republican nomination or at least have a respectable performance: be a bane in the conservative media eco-chamber. If you aren’t, then you’re likely seen as a hopeless nobody by the vast majority of Republicans – that’s why the conservative media supports you, because their way of milking their audiences and readers is by pointing out any viable candidate as an unacceptable RINO and instigate those feelings of perpetual victim-hood. They’re in the business of selling outrage, fury and victimization, not serious political analysis.

joana on July 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Can we resurrect Thomas Jefferson?

rickv404 on July 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM

The gop would “Cochran” him. The so-called “conservative” media would nettle him to death for anything he’d say that sounded unorthodox or did not line up with the interests of the corporate donor class.

shubalstearns on July 18, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Allah failed to mention Rick Perry’s rise, even pointed out by Gallup. He has gone up a ton since being well underwater in 2012. Perry/Walker 2016. Say it, get used to it! :-)

Jack_Burton on July 18, 2014 at 6:34 PM

McCain with a passion and he easily warped up the nomination

I’ll agree with you there,Joanna, he did WARP the nomination.

shubalstearns on July 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM

And in six months this poll will look different and in a year it will look completely different. Huckabee or Paul are not going to be our nominee.

terryannonline on July 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

If that is the best the Republicans have to offer, I will be staying home. Rand Paul is nothing but a lying, RINO, Obama-wanna-be….and Huckabee…no way. And the GOP wonders why they keep losing.

phoebe1 on July 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

It’s a good sign that Rick Perry is right up there with Huckabee, Rand Paul and Paul Ryan. Perry was harshly criticized by Romney in the 2012 debates, mostly for his support of in-state tuition in Texas for children of illegal immigrants, although his recent actions regarding the border crisis has probably earned him favor among Republican border-hawks, and the job creation numbers in Texas give him an advantage on economic issues.

A lot of this could change between now and 2016. Perry was considered a top contender in 2012, but did poorly in debates, and Democrats will remind voters that Perry is the successor to a former Governor named George W. Bush.

Governors Walker and Jindal have favorability ratings almost as high as Jeb Bush while being much less well-known. They are probably concentrating on managing their states this year (and Walker on his re-election in Wisconsin), but if they start campaigning nationally in late 2015, they have plenty of room to move up, since they are not yet very well-known.

Steve Z on July 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I choked down vomit while voting for Romney.

But I will NEVER. EVER. vote for Huckabee.

NEVER.

portlandon on July 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’ll second this. I can’t stand the guy.

deepdiver on July 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

The huckster pegs my smarm-meter. I won’t vote for him in the primary, but if he ends up with the nomination I will. He’d be better than Herself or the Chief.

slickwillie2001 on July 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Wha?????

formwiz on July 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Voters are stupid creatures.

abobo on July 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Meredith on July 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM
joana on July 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I dunno. I keep seeing things like this up against this and seeing images like this against this and I wonder why Palin gets accused of not having a prayer against Shrillary or Fauxchohontas. Especially when you add in Palin’s natural deep love of country and upbeat personality.

theotherone on July 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Notice how the Pro Amnesty hucksters are at the top of the list? That means that Ted Cruz, etc are meanies because they are against the import of infectious diseases

Brock Robamney on July 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

rand paul is the only candidate who might actually shrink the federal government… and everyone blows him off? this is why i don’t like this website.

dbilly76 on July 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM

…we are so screwed!
…which one of you guys just took a joana shit?…I thought that was flushed!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Bobby Jindal/Barry Goldwater’s reanimated corpse.

V7_Sport on July 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Who in the he!! does these polls? I mean, Really!!!!!

Where do these people live that support these candidates? No where I’ve ever been. Get real.

Barred on July 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

By the way, give us a break on these stupid polls at least until after November.

Barred on July 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Jindal/Walker

“Little less talk and a lot more action“

lineholder on July 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I could live with that. I also like Cruz. I used to like Rand too but then he started talking amnesty and I had to break up with him. Its for the best.

I’m not surprised that Rand is doing well. I think he is able to connect with voters. He did a thing on Hannity where they measured the audience’s reaction while he spoke and the dude (I can’t think of the guy’s name) said, he did better than he had ever seen. It was a while back.

Huckabee shocks me just because he annoys me personally but he didn’t seem like an amnesty squish or anything on last Sunday’s show.

magicbeans on July 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Time to throw the trolls some red meat…….

itsspideyman on July 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Man, I forgot all about Huckabee

Apparently others haven’t.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I like Walker or Jindahl. Perry is mostly okay compared to the rest of the potential field. Actually, I’d vote for the devil himself if he ran against Clinton or Warren. Unfortunately, the devil will probably be unavailable so that means I’d vote for flub-a- dub Huck. Obama hugging Christie, another Bush or I’m not really a dove Paul. I don’t understand staying home and letting somebody I agree with 50 to 75% of the time lose to somebody I agree with never. Does anyone really think we wouldn’t have been better off with Eastern moderate establishment squish Romney than we are with the Obama regime? The principled purity test here in Virginia gave us part time Clinton henchman and full time ninny McAuliffe as governor.

polly2150 on July 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM

“Huckabee/Paul.” Say it aloud. Go on.

Ok, “Huckabee/Paul”.

I actually like the sound of that.

And if they become the next President & Vice-President, I’m going to quote you, Allahpundit, as the first person to say it.

ITguy on July 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM

terryannonline on July 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

It’s okay to believe that, but if you understand the mechanics of the primaries, the reality is that Huckabee is a very likely nominee. In 2008, a shift of less than 15,000 votes (3.3%) in South Carolina, would have propelled MH to the nomination. In addition, if you look at the nation overall, Huckabee came in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in 32 states. That’s widespread voter approval. You might not like him, but the average guy/voter seems to. More important electorally, Huckabee does well with women and minorities.

Moreover, his popularity is enduring. He was at the top of the polls nationally in 2012 for a time (before he shut the door on a run) as well as in several early primary states. So from 2007-2014, there hasn’t been a year in which Huckabee hasn’t appeared as #1 in a national Presidential preference poll. The 2016 polls, albeit early, reflect the same sentiment: voters have not forgotten Huckabee, and in general, they like him.

2016, specifically, presents new opportunities for Huckabee. While in the past, Huckabee was limited in fundraising, the new PAC rules will allow long sustainability. He carries on his resume a previous run for President, which seems to be a qualification beneficial to past nominees. Potential donors and supporters now have a history of performance. The Secretary of State for Georgia is trying to organize and implement an “SEC” south eastern regional primary. That’s a huge chunk of delegates in an an area where Huckabee dominates.

ceruleanblue on July 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Jindal is impressive as a governor, but his weakness in my view is that he’s long-winded. He needs to be more succinct in his answers. I listened to a radio interview on Prager the other day, and Jindal was throwing out so much stuff, but nothing landed. I kind of just tuned him out.

Walker also has been impressive in performance, but you couldn’t ask for a more cookie-cutter politician. I don’t want to call him bland, but I have no way to finish this sentence.

I’m suspicious of R. Paul in that I feel he’s just putting on a performance sometimes. I’m also inclined to dismiss him, as well as Cruz, for being 1-term senators who think they’re ready for the White House. Please.

I definitely prefer a governor, and one who can win his home state at least.

ceruleanblue on July 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

magicbeans on July 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Don’t forget his Amnesty for Murderers and his Common Core Shilling skills

Brock Robamney on July 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM

“Huckabee/Paul.” Say it aloud. Go on.
Ok, “Huckabee/Paul”.
I actually like the sound of that.
ITguy on July 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM

If they become President and VP, then we better learn Spanish, and learn Common Core math

Brock Robamney on July 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Kiss the US goodbye, take down the flag and turn out the lights. If our choices end up being between Killary, Fauxcahontas, and Smuck for prezzy, we are at the end of the trail.

Kissmygrits on July 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Where was this poll taken, GOP headquarters? Sounds like the liberal/progressive movement is going to select the candidates again. Their love for tyrannical Democrat Presidents seems to outweigh the needs of the country. I don’t know about you, but I’m getting tired of voting for the lesser of the two evils every presidential election. Wait, I’ll extend that to every federal election.

savage24 on July 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM