Video: MSNBC hosts pranked badly during Ukraine plane attack coverage

posted at 7:21 pm on July 17, 2014 by Noah Rothman

During coverage of the Malaysian plane which crashed in Eastern Ukraine, MSNBC’s hosts of The Cycle were pranked… badly.

After introducing someone billed as an American Marine sergeant live from an American embassy in eastern Ukraine (where there is no American embassy), MSNBC host Krystal Ball asked what he saw.

“It would appear that the plane was shot down from a blast of wind from Howard Stern’s ass,” the helpful guest submitted.

A competent guest booker would have more thoroughly vetted this person, but mistakes are made when news is breaking fast. At this point, a producer should have cut this guest off from the control room. That is not what happened.

“So, it would appear that the plane was shot down,” Ball replied. “Can you tell us anything more from your military training of what sort of missile system that may have been coming from?”

Yes, tell us more, helpful guest.

He obliged. “Boy, you’re a dumbass, aren’t you?” he asked.

After a stunned silence, and another ill-advised attempt to seek clarification from her guest as to what he was talking about, Ball finally went to break.

Ball did what she could in this situation, and this program’s producers and bookers are more at fault for letting this offensive call through. It is especially unforgivable on a day like today.

But the prankster in this case deserves particularly vigorous condemnation. Dark humor in dark times is a perfectly human trait, but you are a special piece of garbage if you think interrupting a newscast in order to promote a radio host is a great idea. Hundreds died, including, as was reported for most of the day, some 23 Americans. Their panicked and grief-stricken family members may have been watching. We can only hope they didn’t see this segment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You mind if I tell you that it is, regrettably, none of your business?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Nope. But you sure went out of your way single out people as Christians and making judgements about them without actually knowing. I thought it was only fair.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

You mind if I inquire as to what religion you follow?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

You mind if I tell you that it is, regrettably, none of your business?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

sociology, max weber type sounds like.

dmacleo on July 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, but they’re still waaaaay better than Faux News.

/s

Oh, and Howard Stern sucks and isn’t funny. Retire already.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Ted Baxter. And don’t compare Ted Baxter to that misshapen head dipwad.

Judge_Dredd on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Indeed, quite an unfair comparison really. This dolt got a job by with dumb looks, being willing to vapidly tout leftist propaganda without enough of a thought in her head to question it, and finding notably original ways to ask Santa Claus for her dream job as a professional moron.

She never had to work her way up from a 5000 watt radio station in Fresno, California.

Gingotts on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

You mind if I inquire as to what religion you follow?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

You mind if I tell you that it is, regrettably, none of your business?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

You brought it up, slick.
I’m guessing the Order of the Truly Ignorant.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Rix doesn’t follow a religion. No religion defines the value of life economically, politicsw notwithstanding.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

You brought it up, slick.
I’m guessing the Order of the Truly Ignorant.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

A proud and noble armchair warrior, I see. They don’t agree with me, hey they must be stupid!

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

You mind if I inquire as to what religion you follow?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

You mind if I tell you that it is, regrettably, none of your business?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

You bring up religion in this, and when asked what religion you are an adherent of, you close up? Frankly, I believe it’s a pertinent question, given your criticism of others’ faiths. Why so shy about it? I’m Roman Catholic…and I’m never ashamed or secretive about that.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Remember, this was a Howard Stern caller and Noah was an Opie and Anthony intern. No love lost between these two shows. Animosity goes way back.

Mark1971 on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

True, but it’s not like he dictated the content of the show. If he were an actual on-air personality, I’d say he’s a hypocrite to be knocking “gallows humor” like this, but he was just an intern.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

You brought it up, slick.
I’m guessing the Order of the Truly Ignorant.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

That’s the fun part. We have proof with your every post, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Rix doesn’t follow a religion. No religion defines the value of life economically, politics notwithstanding.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Bingo, and I like the logic.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Should have stopped there.

Insensitive dolts will be around every day of the year.

lynncgb on July 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM

That’s the fun part. We have proof with your every post, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

The problem is, that proof solely exists in the delusion that passes for your mind.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

That is Jean Baptiste, mon ami.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I’ll let it slip this time… ;)

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on July 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

*snort*

ladyingray on July 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You’re burying yourself here deeper and deeper.

rlwo2008 on July 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM

That’s the fun part. We have proof with your every post, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I’m not the only who has noticed you’re an idiot.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Please note Mr. Rix declines to specify a religion, despite having injected it into the conversation, then admits (in response to my comment) that he has none. And he calls HS delusional! Unsheath the magical scroll wheel.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

About that career as a network anchor…

claudius on July 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

And hey, I’m calling copyright infringement on “J. B.” ;)

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

That is Jean Baptiste, mon ami.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

J. B.Say: O.M.G you ripped off JetBoy’s name!!!

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine, July 17, 2014
Ukraine

4m
Malaysia Airlines: Company will release passenger manifest of plane that went down over Ukraine after all next-of-kin have been notified, – @MAS
End of alert
============

South Korea
11m
South Korea’s 2 major airlines say their flights over Ukraine rerouted since March 3 because of security concerns – @Reuters
Read more on reuters.com

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

But the prankster in this case deserves particularly vigorous condemnation.

No he doesn’t.

We need more of these to expose these fools for what they are. They’re not journalists. Had they been journalists – they would have verified who the guy was before putting him on the air.

THEY NEVER VERIFY!!!

Nope – they had a guy on the line and they didn’t give a shit. They were greedy for a scoop and didn’t check – they got punked.

Punks get punked – that’s life, Noah.

HondaV65 on July 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I’m not the only who has noticed you’re an idiot.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, being in a group is a proof of everything. How many people voted for Obama?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

It is an open discussion whether agnosticism can be considered a religion. Fact is, however, that a value of human life is purely a religious construct, and you cannot expect non-religious people to accept it without a non-theological proof. Law is another thing; I have a healthy respect for it, and will only go on a murderous rampage when my state’s law explicitly allows it, which is hopefully never.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I’m not the only who has noticed you’re an idiot.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Now you’re just mailing it in, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Honestly, I wouldn’t see much tragedy in a bunch of dead foreigners, particularly from a populous Muslim country. Christians tend to associate a ridiculously high emotional value with an abstract human life, forgetting that not everyone in the world has the same moral norms. Twenty three murdered Americans is an entirely different issue, of course, but the prankster could not possibly know about that. Still a faux pas, IMHO.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Having spent alot of time in Malaysia over the years, I can say you’re pretty off base with this statement. Not that it isn’t a horrifying sentiment in general.

Chuck Schick on July 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I’m guessing the Order of the Truly Ignorant.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

See, when you’re asked a direct question that’s germane to a point you yourself made, and you get all evasive, you invite both speculation, and derision.

Watch how easy this is; “I’m massrighty, and I’m an active Episcopalian.”

Oh, and it’s possible to be both non-stupid and ignorant, champ.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Now you’re just mailing it in, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Do you have an insult generator there? Keep testing it.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

You are engaged in a game of cat-and-mouse.
You are not the cat.
How do you see this ending?

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

MR. Rix;, Please stop! Your obvious ignorance of dialectic (note: NOT theology) is quite painful to behold. ‘Value’ is not a religous construct.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Now you’re just mailing it in, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Do you have an insult generator there? Keep testing it.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

You really must become more self aware, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Watch how easy this is; “I’m massrighty, and I’m an active Episcopalian.”

Oh, and it’s possible to be both non-stupid and ignorant, champ.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Argumentative speculations are welcome, and derision is everyone’s right. If I gave a flying eff I probably wouldn’t post what I did and agreed with everything they say, right?

In any case, I do not question anyone’s right to be Christian. You know how it goes: religion is like a male member – it is okay to have one, it is perfectly fine to be proud of it, just don’t wave it around too much or try ramming it down my throat.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Do you have an insult generator there? Keep testing it.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

How long is the ladder for that hole you are so busily digging?
You made a disgusting comment and are too much of a pvssy to apologize and then zip it.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

You really must become more self aware, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Great. A Terminator joke, worth a chuckle. Now, can I politely ask you to go hug yourself?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM

How long is the ladder for that hole you are so busily digging?

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I reckon you guys are trying to get a ban-worthy insult out of me. Try harder. :)

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I have to tell, for such a conservative bunch, you sure are quick to force your moral opinions on others…

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Sounds like it’s a member of the Church of The Perpetually Offended. Quite the “tell” there, sparky.

Harbingeing on July 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

No, you are being called out beause you are an azzhole.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM

You really must become more self aware, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Irony is lost on you, slick.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine, July 17, 2014
5m
FAA bans US flight operations in airspace over eastern Ukraine until further notice – @washingtonpost
Read more on washingtonpost.com

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

No, you are being called out beause you are an azzhole.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Yeah, using bad words really makes your point across so eloquently.

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.” –George Carlin

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Well, the president of MSNBC told the world they weren’t good at following breaking news stories and reporting facts. This is merely further proof: nobody on staff checked to see if there was an embassy, nobody checked anything, as usual.
They’ve already admitted they aren’t good at reporting facts. What more should one expect? They are libs, ain’t they? Libs and facts don’t mix.

DublOh7 on July 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I assume that you are aware that the laws of the United States are based on a Judeo-Christian ethic which views man as valuable based solely on the fact that God created man in His image?

Didn’t think so.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Yet, you respond directly to the derision, without acknowledging you could have easily avoided it by forthrightly answering a direct question. For some of us, this is a dialog, a discussion, and you could follow the norms of civil discourse.

Cute that you would reduce a sincere religious faith, that I practice and share (as we are called to do,) in an entirely polite way, to a coarse joke. I’ve found that most of the over-the-top remonstrations here are from the non-believers.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Yeah, using bad words really makes your point across so eloquently.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Plenty more where that came from, dear. Worked for Canadian horsemen. I have “bad” words your brain couldn’t even comprehend.
BTW, I grew up with both Carlins and they would have called you worse.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

You are ontologically ban worthy. You have no economic value.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

********** WARNING TO ALL CREW MEMBERS **********************

BE ADVISED THAT THERE IS MO HUGGING ON THE DECKS OF THE
USS HOT AIR,

IF YOU MUST HUG, DO IT IN THE ENGINE ROOM**.

Also:

Be on the LookOut for RIX,….approach with caution!!

THAT IS ALL:

Please resume your Commenting BattleStations.

**( Proud member of the BIG CAPS BRIGADE SINCE 1776)
(snark)

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Didn’t think so.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I do know that, including the Constitution which I am sworn to follow and protect. The fact that I don’t agree with the morality of some laws does not preclude me from obeying them, same as you might loathe the tax code but still pay your due taxes. Moreover, many of the laws on the book are helpful in preserving social order.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM

You are ontologically ban worthy. You have no economic value.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

That’s a prima facie false statement. Given the amount of followup my comment had, I have a great economic value to the blog. Moreover, I did absolutely nothing to deserve a ban.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

********** WARNING TO ALL CREW MEMBERS **********************

BE ADVISED THAT THERE IS MO HUGGING ON THE DECKS OF THE
USS HOT AIR,

IF YOU MUST HUG, DO IT IN THE ENGINE ROOM**.

Also:

Be on the LookOut for RIX,….approach with caution!!

THAT IS ALL:

Please resume your Commenting BattleStations.

**( Proud member of the BIG CAPS BRIGADE SINCE 1776)
(snark)

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I’d hug you, Canada. We could break bread over a couple of smoked beavers dipped in surgery maple syrup and honey.

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

BTW, I grew up with both Carlins and they would have called you worse.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Don’t pop a vein, grandma.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Eloquence:

Yeah, using bad words really makes your point across so eloquently.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

This ^

Although “values” and “morals” and simple respect for human life are religious constructs, they’re not solely the realm of religion. And they are a part of basic human nature, regardless of faith…or no faith.

I gave Rix the benefit of the doubt, that he was opining with a minimum level of intellectual honesty…he did admit he was wrong about some calls earlier…and gets kudos for that. But when someone brings up a topic of discussion in any thread, then clams up about his own personal faith after he’s generalized about everyone else, he becomes irrelevant. Or at least his continuing comments on the subject do.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Don’t pop a vein, grandma.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Not a chance, little girl.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

HornetSting: You know your way to a mans heart,..hehe:)

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

J. B.Say: O.M.G you ripped off JetBoy’s name!!!

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Dang Frenchies…

:D

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine, July 17, 2014
7m
Malaysia Airlines shares fall 13% at open after crash in Ukraine – @CNBCWorld

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM

You are ontologically ban worthy. You have no economic value.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Maybe you should look up “ontological” in a dictionary.

Or are you a existentialist?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Not bad, but you should try the baby seal flipper pie too.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

But, you see, we don’t need your permission or indulgence for it to be “perfectly fine”.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Dang Frenchies…

:D

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM

JetBoy: Seriously ya,

…..Suck Le Blue el Tabernackle:0
(Le Sarc)

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Not a chance, little girl.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

That’s the best you could do, having grown up with both Carlins? Gosh, aging is gonna be hard.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Didn’t think so.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Inconsistency at best; hypocrisy at worst.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Did I say you need one? Just don’t wave it around too much.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

You’d have lasted less than an hour in Irish Harlem.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

By the way, in the “Western world”, anyway, it’s usually the evangelical anti-religious types who are constantly ramming their unwelcome thingies down throats.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

In the beginning God created space and matter.

Even so, come quickly.

Face.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Ok, this is what happens when an idiot Marxist/Progressive cable channel actually tries to do NEWS. They are SO OUT OF their element…

They should stick to reinterpreting history and literature. It’s worked so well for them so far.

Rest assured the only people that saw it were Ms. Balls (I like that) uh, erm a partner and HOT AIR subscribers.

old school on July 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Just don’t wave it around too much.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Who died and made you the judge of how much is too much, bucko?
Those of us who are called to witness, will.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Maybe you should look up “ontological” in a dictionary.
Or are you a existentialist?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I did look it up. Point to you, I did not know the word. Frankly, I’m still unsure if I do. And no, I’m not an existentialist. The question has been answered somewhere above, I believe: I am an agnostic.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

HornetSting on July 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Not bad, but you should try the baby seal flipper pie too.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

katy the mean old lady: You wimmens are driving crazy,
Seal Flipper Pie, is to die for,
succulent to the power of 10!!:)

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Did I say you need one? Just don’t wave it around too much.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Your permission isn’t needed to wave it around, either. In spirit and philosophy, the First Amendment says to wave away. It’s called “free exercise”.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Value:

Honesty is the best policy – when there is money in it.~Mark Twain

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

evangelical anti-religious types

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Nice turn of phrase – I think I just made that up!

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Just don’t wave it around too much.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Rix: That got Anthony Weiner in a pickle,….jus say’n!!

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I am not anti-religious, you dummy. The Constitution affords everyone the right to personal beliefs. That includes you. I presume it also includes me.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Malaysia Airlines plane crash in Ukraine, July 17, 2014
5m
Secretary of State John Kerry says State Department ‘reviewing whether any American citizens were aboard the flight’ – @StateDept

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Maybe you should look up “ontological” in a dictionary.
Or are you a existentialist?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I see you don’t understand existentialism, either.

Are you sure you understand agnosticism?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Wave it around here all you please. Just not in my neighborhood. Oh, you still mean religion? :)

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I am not anti-religious, you dummy.

You’re the one using penis metaphors to describe religious belief, dummy.

The Constitution affords everyone the right to personal beliefs.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

The Constitution “affords” no such thing. The Constitution says that totalitarian types like you can’t tell me when and where to “wave it around”.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Jet, TY. Although I would prefer ” the application’ of morals, values, and respect ‘may follow religous principles”, you are basically correct. However, Rix began with an outrageous statement and reduced the issue to ‘faux pas’. For me, ‘benefit of the doubt’ becomes mere doubt. About his reasons for the initial statement, that is.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Because of its role in debates about religion, some may mistakenly think that agnosticism itself might qualify as a religion. No one with a decent understanding of either agnosticism or religion, though, would reach such a conclusion. The easiest way to understand that is to examine the basic characteristics of religion and compare them to agnosticism: none of them apply.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Are you sure you understand agnosticism?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I’d like to see a person who truly understands religion or philosophy, and is sure of it. I suspect the former contradicts the latter. Do you truly understand Christianity?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Wait, I am an atheist. What do I get to wave around?

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Wait, I am an atheist. What do I get to wave around?

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Dunno. Is atheism a religion?

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Seal Flipper Pie, is to die for,
succulent to the power of 10!!:)

canopfor on July 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I think Old Home Week in P.E.I. is coming up. Someone has it it the freezer.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Uhm, Mr. Rix, them Constitution doesn’t afford anyone any rights, it constrains the government. Maybe you missed that part.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

The distinction is fairly vague but you won’t find any better on About.com or Wiki, and I doubt I have intellectual capacity to exceed their scope. I prefer to see agnosticism as a set of moral beliefs and intellectual ideas rather than religion.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Good grief. An eighth-grader.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Agnosticism is not a religion, as agnostics do not follow a God, or any other deities. Agnostics do not consider themselves as atheists either, but more of “a middle ground” between believers and non-believers.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Point well taken, though the distinction between “giving the rights” and “prohibiting prevention of exercising the rights” is mostly semantic. Especially since the framers saw God as the giver of “natural” rights, and the idea of God doesn’t exactly fit into my views.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Dunno. Is atheism a religion?

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I’ll settle for hops, barley, and Don’t Tread on Me.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I am not anti-religious, you dummy.

You’re the one using peenie metaphors to describe religion, dummy.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

The Constitution “affords” no such thing. The Constitution says that totalitarian-leaning types can’t tell us when and where we’re “allowed” to exercise our beliefs.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I’ll settle for hops, barley, and Don’t Tread on Me.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Fine.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Are you sure you understand agnosticism?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM

So I am allowed to exercise my religious, or non-religious, beliefs, too? Gee, that’s a novel concept for some locals.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Do you truly understand Christianity?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

what would you like to know?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

That’s a lofty and ambitious statement. Does not Christianity hold vanity as sin?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM

So there are no such things as “inherent rights”, merely “rights” bestowed by the state at its whim. So aside from anti-Semitism — not that there’s any “non-inherent” argument against that either — what would your beef be with the Nazis?

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Wait, I am an atheist. What do I get to wave around?

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

A spaghetti strainer.

;)

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Hey, I gave Charlie Crist the “benefit of the doubt” too before he bailed on the GOP…officially, at least. So I’m not always the best judge of these “benefits”. :/

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Who’s forcing you to go to church?

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM