Video: MSNBC hosts pranked badly during Ukraine plane attack coverage

posted at 7:21 pm on July 17, 2014 by Noah Rothman

During coverage of the Malaysian plane which crashed in Eastern Ukraine, MSNBC’s hosts of The Cycle were pranked… badly.

After introducing someone billed as an American Marine sergeant live from an American embassy in eastern Ukraine (where there is no American embassy), MSNBC host Krystal Ball asked what he saw.

“It would appear that the plane was shot down from a blast of wind from Howard Stern’s ass,” the helpful guest submitted.

A competent guest booker would have more thoroughly vetted this person, but mistakes are made when news is breaking fast. At this point, a producer should have cut this guest off from the control room. That is not what happened.

“So, it would appear that the plane was shot down,” Ball replied. “Can you tell us anything more from your military training of what sort of missile system that may have been coming from?”

Yes, tell us more, helpful guest.

He obliged. “Boy, you’re a dumbass, aren’t you?” he asked.

After a stunned silence, and another ill-advised attempt to seek clarification from her guest as to what he was talking about, Ball finally went to break.

Ball did what she could in this situation, and this program’s producers and bookers are more at fault for letting this offensive call through. It is especially unforgivable on a day like today.

But the prankster in this case deserves particularly vigorous condemnation. Dark humor in dark times is a perfectly human trait, but you are a special piece of garbage if you think interrupting a newscast in order to promote a radio host is a great idea. Hundreds died, including, as was reported for most of the day, some 23 Americans. Their panicked and grief-stricken family members may have been watching. We can only hope they didn’t see this segment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What a marooon.

portlandon on July 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM

That appears to be a terrible tragedy.

rogerb on July 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Cripe

cmsinaz on July 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM

MSNBC is nothing but a parade of idiots. Can you even IMAGINE Megan Kelly wearing tampons on her face? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

MSNBC …. where Fail Prevails.

Key West Reader on July 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Ball did the worst thing possible. She kept asking him questions as if he were an actual guest. This was painful to watch. This Krystal Ball person personifies Brick Tamland.

portlandon on July 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Krystal would do better in front of a pole instead of a camera.

RickB on July 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Kudos to the pranker for punking messbc. Hopefully families weren’t using that network as their go to for breaking news in the 1st place. Ball deserved it-what goes around comes around and good riddance.

AH_C on July 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM

MSNBC is Network.

RedPepper on July 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Honestly, I wouldn’t see much tragedy in a bunch of dead foreigners, particularly from a populous Muslim country. Christians tend to associate a ridiculously high emotional value with an abstract human life, forgetting that not everyone in the world has the same moral norms. Twenty three murdered Americans is an entirely different issue, of course, but the prankster could not possibly know about that. Still a faux pas, IMHO.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

And Baba Booey to y’all.

Doughboy on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I hear both MSNBC viewers failed to see that it was a prank.

The Rogue Tomato on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

You’d think a person named Krystal Ball would have seen this coming.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

portlandon on July 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM

She has producers in her ear telling her what to ask next…so she’s barely paying attention to what the “guest” is saying anyway. Sure, there’s a bit of schadenfreud about this happening to MSNBC, but Ed’s spot on…the prankster is a doosh. Frankly, people who do this considering the events that happened should be beaten with a Louisville slugger…repeatedly. And maybe some basic common sense might find it’s way in through the skull-cracks.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM

No. That was perfect. Commie on commie punking over a commie tragedy.

You can’t ask for better entertainment than that.

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I see OJ!

Mark1971 on July 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM

They should stick to DNC talking points.

FadeToBolivia on July 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Wow. Just…wow.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

The airheaded bimbo is exposed. Ted Knight with tits.

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

And Baba Booey to y’all.

Doughboy on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

My favorite part is when Al Michaels breaks in to explain it all.

Mark1971 on July 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Why don’t they just bring on the Insane Clown Posse. More credible.

Zaire67 on July 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM

It appears Krystal, doesn’t listen well, and this is proof of MSNLSD hires complete idiots. She didn’t skip a beat to keep asking questions in the haste to get a ” scoop”.
This is a tragedy for all the families of those killed, yes, but the crass cheek of the caller was kinda of funny as far as Krystal was concerned.

Bakokitty on July 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I don’t think we need to worry that any grief-stricken family members were tuned into MSNBC. When you are seriously needing factual news you aren’t going to be tuned into that poor imitation of Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Report. In all likelihood, the only people watching were a half-dozen pot-smokers in a loft in San Francisco.

s1im on July 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM

How did she hear what the guy said and ask him yet another question…?

NeoKong on July 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

He should’ve called in as a survivor.

RBMN on July 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Airheaded bimbo who normally shills for criminals is shown up for what she is.

Ted Knight with tampons.

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Troll. I suspect the ban hammer may make an appearance.

peski on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM

That’s a given. The caller is of no earthly good.

If Ball is merely asking the questions and not hearing answers, news anchors are as intellectually important as a vacuum cleaner.

portlandon on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Meh … guess I decline to be outraged. We already have too much faux outrage. Was the prankster tasteless in his action? Yeah, but so is every Adam Sandler movie.

I’m sorry, but not outraged if “panicked and grief-stricken family members may have been watching” because … 1) why are they watching MSNBC for breaking news? 2) why are they watching “The Cycle” for breaking news? File under bulbs, dim, low wattage. Life is hard, it’s harder when you’re stupid.

I guess I’m just heartless. Or maybe just weary of all the silly back and forth, the banality of cable “news” hosts, the click bait / hyperventilating about everything … until something like this … which is legitimate news … is covered live by an opinion segment host instead of a straight news reporter.

Where was Andrea Mitchell? Or perhaps someone else borrowed from NBC, who was qualified to handle the segment? While Chuck Todd is more a political reporter, he would have been far better qualified to cover this. Finally, yes, the producers blew it … I would posit that their journalism chops have atrophied to the point that they can’t perform the basic tasks required to deal with breaking news. I don’t blame the prankster for that … MSNBC made their “news” outlet a joke, so be it, that is on them.

Grinch on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You’d think a person named Krystal Ball would have seen this coming.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I see what you did there.

tru2tx on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

295 innocent people blown out of the sky is a tragedy – no matter where they’re from.

TarheelBen on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

How did I know that it was Noah?

Simple, after making excuses for Krystal Ball, he blamed the prankster.

Listen, pranksters will ALWAYS be around, ESPECIALLY on days like this.

The fact is that this isn’t the first nor will it be the last time Krystall Ball and her fellow misanthropes completely f*ck up.

C’mon, Noah. It’s one thing to be Pwn3d and another thing to be seeking information that confirms one’s beliefs…and that is what happens to MSNBC on a habitual basis.

These guys would have been soooo psyched if it had been a Ukrainian job.

Resist We Much on July 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Proof positive what we always thought, liberal don’t listen. Sort of clarifies the dog whistles they are always hearing also.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Maybe she should change her name to Porcelain Bowl. It would be more accurate.

Flange on July 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

That was awesome. So between psychic and stripper, we’ll have to go with stripper.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM

portlandon on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

ding! ding! ding!

You’d think a person named Krystal Ball would have seen this coming.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I see what you did there.

tru2tx on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I saw it an hour before he posted the comment… o_O

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

OK. Who let Joe Biden sign up?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

You’d think a person named Krystal Ball would have seen this coming.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I think it’s like the bald guy in the Three Stooges being nicknamed Curly.

RBMN on July 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

She needs to go back to pole dancing

Conservative4ev on July 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I saw it an hour before he posted the comment… o_O

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Heh.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM

But the prankster in this case deserves particularly vigorous condemnation.

Good luck with that, Noah.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM

LOL. Watching that cultist get called a “dumbass” live on the air is pure gold. It’s exactly what I would say if I could talk to her live!

Rational Thought on July 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Noah, not Ed…

ladyingray on July 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM

There are still people watching MSLSD?

I mean beyond those on the right looking for clickbait…

ajacksonian on July 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Lol. I think you’re being too generous to her. :)

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Noah, not Ed…

ladyingray on July 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Yes…corrected. My brain mush is.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

He pranked a trained monkey reading what she’s told. I’m no fan of sterns radio program but the guy doesn’t need “promotion”. I believe he doesn’t even do a daily show anymore.
I have extreme empathy for the people lost and their families. But a guy pranking some airhead on tv I’m supposed to get all worked up over when Obama gave the most pathetic statement about the matter? I don’t think so.
I laughed. It was funny. I guess I should know by this point to not click on Noah’s posts. I love this site and I hope I don’t have to stop reading it, but Noah’s viewpoints and writings are beyond irritating.

tyketto on July 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

She should just go back to playing her reindeer games.

Flange on July 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

How did they mask the origin of the call…? Would they not have known the call did not come from the Ukraine?

I’m sorry, I have to confess, I laughed. Journalism….

d1carter on July 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Pranking MSNBC is for amateurs.

rbj on July 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Stay classy, conservatives. #RIP

BoehnerTears on July 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

**eye-crossed roll**

You were better when you blamed this on the Ukrainians without any evidence whatsoever.

Resist We Much on July 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Biden saw that clip and wants Howard Stern’s ass classified as a WMD.

redguy on July 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

The FAIL is spreading to all things liberal these days.

WisCon on July 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Yes…corrected. My brain mush is.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Totally understand.

ladyingray on July 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Death toll updated to 298, to account for three infants on board.

TarheelBen on July 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I am ashamed to say – I laughed at the MSNBC video.

jake-the-goose on July 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Stay classy, conservatives. #RIP

BoehnerTears on July 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM

You mean like Obama #stupid.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Um, for one thing, I believe most of the passengers were Dutch. Secondly, wtf is wrong with you?

As for the the actual topic, yeah the caller’s a d-bag but c’mon…Ball is a complete moron and demonstrated that royally here. Who continues to ask questions of someone who responds that way?

changer1701 on July 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

During coverage of the Malaysian plane which crashed in Eastern Ukraine

Noah, that is poor journalism. We know the plane was shot down. A crash implies something different.

Aplombed on July 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

No, she is a dumb@ss.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

So, can anybody tell us why Howard Stern has not been arrested? Need to put Krystal on that!

wsucoug on July 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Grinch on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I’m with you. Completely.

captnjoe on July 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM

TarheelBen on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

No, 295 innocent people blown out of the sky is MURDER.

captnjoe on July 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

It shows she does not think about what she hears, kind of like Psaki does not think about what she says.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Stupid liberals will be interrogating Howard Stern any minute now…stay tuned.

partsnlabor on July 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Resist We Much on July 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

OT: Please don’t miss “Axe to Hurricane RWM” :) Sorry — I just don’t see you much anymore, and I bet you’ll laugh.

K. :) /OT

I don’t disagree that it takes a special person to think making a fool out of someone is entertaining, under any circumstances. But the cringe comes from here:

^ The deafness huts.

Axe on July 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM

He should’ve called in as a survivor.

RBMN on July 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

He should have claimed to be helping bury survivors.

Southernblogger on July 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Resist We Much on July 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I blamed it on Ukrainians based on incomplete information that I had at the time. In light of the evidence, not only I openly regretted doing so, I also changed my view of the entire conflict. People blowing up a civilian aircraft to make a political point cannot be anything but pure evil.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Lets face it, pretty hot babe and sharp as a marble. You know she would be a good date.

Southernblogger on July 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Psaki is absolutely horrible as a spokeswoman.

And hey, I’m calling copyright infringement on “J. B.” ;)

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

The point of this piece was for Noah to tell us how much he disapproves.

Akzed on July 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

changer1701 on July 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

For one thing, I promise not to shed a tear even if they were Dutch, but it does affect the emotional impact.

And secondly, I am not a Christian. Your religion places a value on a human life outside of its economic value. Mine doesn’t. I respect your right to express your political views; please respect mine. We can at least agree that it was a heinous murder, and the people who committed it deserve to eat lead (or napalm) and suffer in whatever afterlife their religion offers.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Hey now… She reads a teleprompter just like Obama’s so stop all this H8 already, umm kay?

Key West Reader on July 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Psaki is absolutely horrible as a spokeswoman.

And hey, I’m calling copyright infringement on “J. B.” ;)

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

She’s a red headed clown show. She knows it.

Key West Reader on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

“Are you a Marine corpse-man?”

Akzed on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Ball did what she could in this situation…

Actually, she didn’t. What she SHOULD have done, after the Howard Stern crack, was cut off the caller, apologize to her audience, then either gone to break OR pick up on her coverage where she left off.

No excuse.

Newtie and the Beauty on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Ted Knight with tampons.

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Ted Baxter. And don’t compare Ted Baxter to that misshapen head dipwad.

Judge_Dredd on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

The point of this piece was for Noah to tell us how much he disapproves.

Akzed on July 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Remember, this was a Howard Stern caller and Noah was an Opie and Anthony intern. No love lost between these two shows. Animosity goes way back.

Mark1971 on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

And Baba Booey to y’all.

Doughboy on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

So you’re the one . . . . .

listens2glenn on July 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

A producer must have been in her earpiece right when the caller said “Howard Stern’s ass”. No one is this stupid.

Chuck Schick on July 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

OK. Who let Joe Biden sign up?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Yeah, insulting people who express a different religious view of a specific event. That’s a proper conservative reaction, isn’t it?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Grinch on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Yeah! What Grinch said. Noah, you’re just upset because this is an indictment of your profession.

Vince on July 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Chuck Schick on July 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

We’re talking MSLSD here, Chuck…

Newtie and the Beauty on July 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Looks like Rolling Stone will have to add a sixth gun to their list of most dangerous:

6. Howard Stern’s Ass

Was the caller tasteless? Yes.

Is this panty-wadding material? Noah seems to think so.

Dear Francis,

Lighten up.

Regards,

Sgt. Hulka

Left Coast Right Mind on July 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Wow. Just…wow.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

With you.

Axe on July 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

She’s a red headed clown show. She knows it.

Key West Reader on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Marie Harf, the blonde State Dept. spokeswoman with the hipster glasses is just as bad. How the heck did those two get hired for those jobs?

Oh, never mind.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Mark1971 on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Well, that explains a lot about Noah…

Shump on July 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

WTF does this have to do with religion? It’s about you being an ass because human life is about “economic value.” People died and no matter who they are, where they live or what color they are, they have people that loved them and are suffering. I think most humans can empathize or at least sympathize with that.

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

In the marketplace of ideas, MSNBC is the Kwik-E-Mart…

She heard what she wanted to hear. It was total buffoonery from beginning to end. You couldn’t make up a better SNL skit. I’m sure she will get a job offer from the current administration real soon…

wytshus on July 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Meh … guess I decline to be outraged. We already have too much faux outrage.

Grinch on July 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Yep. Noah had to claim he was so disgusted by this prank … which he had to make a post about, anyway. It is what it is and this plane crash is no different than a thousand other things that happen around the world every day.

I’m tired of these holier-than-thou attestations that are, so obviously, ridiculous.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

That wasn’t directed at me, but if I may…

You plainly stated your happiness that the dead were probably Muslim. You also claimed to only care if Americans were killed, so that non-American lives were somehow less “valuable”. And you insulted Christians by claiming they see human life not as important as money.

And you’re feeling insulted?

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

It has nothing to do with THEIR religion and a lot with MINE, and if I don’t have the right not to care about their “loves ones” and express this opinion on the forum, I missed that clause in the user agreement.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

so that non-American lives were somehow less “valuable”.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Yes. That’s part of the point of the whole nation-state thingy …

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

ALL HAIL CAPT. JENKS!!!

His “you’re a dumbass aren’t ya” quote could’ve been leveled at ANY of the Marxist trash hosts on that network.

CONGRATS JENKS!!!

acetylene420 on July 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

rothman sounds much more angry about it here then when he was letting everyone know about it on twitter.
possible I missed it but I didn’t see any condemnation from him there. and I’ll admit there is a high chance I missed it.

dmacleo on July 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM

And you’re feeling insulted?

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I never said “happiness”. What happened is still a crime, and crimes are evil and should be punished. But I have no moral impact from death of people I do not know personally.

I have to tell, for such a conservative bunch, you sure are quick to force your moral opinions on others…

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

You mind if I inquire as to what religion you follow?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

You mind if I inquire as to what religion you follow?

ReaganWasRight on July 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

You mind if I tell you that it is, regrettably, none of your business?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

You would think that somebody named Krystal Ball would have foreseen this prank.

Zing.

Cladinator on July 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

And hey, I’m calling copyright infringement on “J. B.” ;)

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

That is Jean Baptiste, mon ami.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM