Video: MSNBC hosts pranked badly during Ukraine plane attack coverage

posted at 7:21 pm on July 17, 2014 by Noah Rothman

During coverage of the Malaysian plane which crashed in Eastern Ukraine, MSNBC’s hosts of The Cycle were pranked… badly.

After introducing someone billed as an American Marine sergeant live from an American embassy in eastern Ukraine (where there is no American embassy), MSNBC host Krystal Ball asked what he saw.

“It would appear that the plane was shot down from a blast of wind from Howard Stern’s ass,” the helpful guest submitted.

A competent guest booker would have more thoroughly vetted this person, but mistakes are made when news is breaking fast. At this point, a producer should have cut this guest off from the control room. That is not what happened.

“So, it would appear that the plane was shot down,” Ball replied. “Can you tell us anything more from your military training of what sort of missile system that may have been coming from?”

Yes, tell us more, helpful guest.

He obliged. “Boy, you’re a dumbass, aren’t you?” he asked.

After a stunned silence, and another ill-advised attempt to seek clarification from her guest as to what he was talking about, Ball finally went to break.

Ball did what she could in this situation, and this program’s producers and bookers are more at fault for letting this offensive call through. It is especially unforgivable on a day like today.

But the prankster in this case deserves particularly vigorous condemnation. Dark humor in dark times is a perfectly human trait, but you are a special piece of garbage if you think interrupting a newscast in order to promote a radio host is a great idea. Hundreds died, including, as was reported for most of the day, some 23 Americans. Their panicked and grief-stricken family members may have been watching. We can only hope they didn’t see this segment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Point well taken, though the distinction between “giving the rights” and “prohibiting prevention of exercising the rights” is mostly semantic. Especially since the framers saw God as the giver of “natural” rights, and the idea of God doesn’t exactly fit into my views.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I see you are a postmodernist as well.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Rix; it is most certainly NOT ‘mostly semantic. Jeez. In addition (pay attention here) Agnostic: from the Greek ‘Gnosis’ meaning knowledge. The agnostic doesn’t know, for whatever reason, but cannot deny or affirm the existence of a diety. That is not ‘middle ground’, it is an admission of ignorance.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

what would you like to know?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I doubt that my modest theological background would allow me to test your knowledge of Christianity. But we talked about understanding, not erudition.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

That’s a lofty and ambitious statement. Does not Christianity hold vanity as sin?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

You asked me a question which I answered honestly.

Where is the vanity?

And where does Christianity condemn vanity?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

It’s not vanity if it’s true; davidk provably does understand Christianity. His posts here are valid proofs.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM

A spaghetti strainer.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

That it! Very good for sparging the mash.

J.B. Say on July 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I think it’s in the Book of Shakespeare, Act III, Scene 3, ‘Vanity thy name is woman’.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Who’s forcing you to go to church?

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Right now, quite a few people – some of them well-meaning and intelligent, others loudmouth fools – are working overtime to deny my right to express my views. If the latter behave the same way outside Hot Air, I partly understand the growing public animus against Christians.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

And where does Christianity condemn vanity?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Okay, I might know that. Isn’t it one of the seven mortal sins?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I see you are a postmodernist as well.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Nah. Home alone 15 yr. old with a bottle of Mad Dog and an 1/8th oz of ditch weed.

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I would never argue his knowledge, especially since it exceeds mine so much. But to find a person who claims to understand religion is a rarity that I haven’t seen even among clergy.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM

what would you like to know?

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

But one cannot engage in erudition unless one has knowledge and understanding.

You’ve been eruditin’ all evening without much understanding.

Seriously, one’s worldview is very important. I would encourage you to examine more closely the issues upon which we have touched.

And I would suggest from now on you check your animosity toward religion in general and Christianity in particular at the door.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM

’7 deadly sins’, son. And no it is not.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Well, put it back in your pants, right? Isn’t that the Rix Philosophy? Everyone else is supposed to tolerate YOU, but those religious types are given their “freedoms” at your sufferance.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

And for the record I’ve never called for anyone to be banned.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

And for the record I’ve never called for anyone to be banned.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Specific citation, please?
Where is this herculean undertaking happening?

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I see you are a postmodernist as well.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I gotta admit. That made me laugh.

But probably smarter than his 15 yo peers. Just needs a bit more book learnin’.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM

And for the record I’ve never called for anyone to be banned.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

And for the record I’ve never called for anyone to be banned.

ddrintn on July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Me either.

Me either.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Cool. First I am a little girl, now I’m hugging the bottle. What’s next, pedophilia or incest? You’re losing your edge, grandma.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Specific citation, please?
Where is this herculean undertaking happening?

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM

How about the last two comment pages? I’ll be damned if I knew my comment will summon such a firestorm. I expected some arched eyebrows plus a few insults from the least-intelligent crowd, at most.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

A spaghetti strainer.

JetBoy on July 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Good one, JB.

Gotta bring down that Flying Spaghetti Monster.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Rix, you add a lot with your comments here. This might be one of those times where you’d want to concede your first comment in the thread was a bit insensitive.

You’ve got a lot to offer with your insights. Don’t make everyone think you’re a heartless troll. Based on the exchange we had, I think I get you. Not everyone else does.

Sincerely offered.

hawkdriver on July 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Used to be an OZ. of Columbian Gold Bud…good times, good times..

Damn Inflation!!

ToddPA on July 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Non-response.

Your original comment elicited a response; you were asked questions, and chose evasion and derision rather than forthright answers. How this constitutes people working overtime to deny [your] right to express your views is anyone’s guess.

For the record;

We all have the same right to express our beliefs.
You don’t get to decide how much free exercise is too much.
Many of us believe those rights come from God, and cannot be removed from us by the state.
You don’t.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Rix, no one here is forcing you to do anything. You are here of your own volition.

You may come and go as you see fit.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Rix; the firestorm started because of the flagrant insensitivity of the initial comment. Your doubling down, attempt to veer the conversation away from that lack of insight poured fuel on the flames. Then your confirmation of lack of knowledge on the subject you brought up sent a few off the realm of intelligent discourse. You have no one t5o blame but yourself. Listen to the Hawk. He muight be your best friend here.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I’ll be damned if I knew my comment will summon such a firestorm.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

It’s just ’cause you’re special.

(This too easy and too inviting. I gotta quit.)

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Sincerely offered.

hawkdriver on July 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I appreciate the sincerity of the offer but unfortunately, sensitivity is not my forte. “Heartless” is pretty much a valid definition, so I’ll treat it as a badge of honor, not an insult.

I am, however, definitely not a troll. I offer an honest opinion, will accept a valid argument, and will admit defeat and apologize when faced with facts and logic. Those who see my comments as trolling are free to exercise their First Amendment rights (within blog rules) and/or go eff themselves, not necessarily in that order.

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Shorter:

Hawk, thanks for the offer, but screw you.

Geez, a well-respected poster here gets in your corner, and offers you both an affirmation and a way out, and you slap his helping hand away?

Nice!

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

OK, belay my last. Rix, your response to HawkDriver, with references to ‘logic’ and ‘facts’ is so far removed from the reality of what you have been actually typing that I no longer wish to try where you are concerned. Best wishes.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Rix; the firestorm started because of the flagrant insensitivity of the initial comment. Your doubling down, attempt to veer the conversation away from that lack of insight poured fuel on the flames. Then your confirmation of lack of knowledge on the subject you brought up sent a few off the realm of intelligent discourse. You have no one to blame but yourself. Listen to the Hawk. He muight be your best friend here.

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Again, I do appreciate an honest and intelligent advice but being sensitive is really not my game. I’ll take an argument or a fact that is not rooted in “moral superiority”; those willing to educate or enlighten me on any given subject will always have my attention, respect, and apology (when applicable).

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Especially if you’re promoting an extra-special piece of garbage radio host.

“Birds of a feather…”

itsnotaboutme on July 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

DemetriusPhalerum on July 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Folks, I really don’t know what these came from. I value Hawk’s offer, just cannot honestly abide by it. would you rather have me lie?

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Fair enough. I’d just add that in my poor opinion, for what it’s worth, Agnostics are usually fairly intelligent folks who still harbor a hope in the existence in God while they hang on to their analytical reasoning side. Lots of military folks like that.

In my experience, they normally seem to maintain some level of believe or end up entering a formal belief structure.

Last thing, most of the folks you’re exchanging here with might not be as salty as you, but they’re all good folks. Not a dimes difference in your basic world views from what I’ve read.

hawkdriver on July 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Rix on July 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM

No, I’d rather have you accept his offer graciously and improve yourself.

That you choose not to is not on Hawkdriver, or on DP, or me.

massrighty on July 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

level of “belief” …

hawkdriver on July 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM

My theory is Rix is Krystal Ball’s Hot Air pseudonym.

Hi Krys! Having a bad week are we?

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Ted Knight with tampons.

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Ted Baxter. And don’t compare Ted Baxter to that misshapen head dipwad.

Judge_Dredd on July 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Ted Kopel with tits?

papertiger on July 17, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Not a dimes difference in your basic world views from what I’ve read.

hawkdriver on July 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

There is an infinite, eternal difference between my and Rix’s worldviews.

davidk on July 17, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I think I’m getting more of a sense of this Noah’s world view and it seems that those who’ve been calling him a lefty are probably right. The signs are there. To Noah, who admits to being pro-’choice’, brutal butchering of innocent unborn human beings is fine and should be defended as a ‘right’. However, a prank on a leftist tool (and her scummy network) who has shielded the corrupt administration and helped promote the policies that are bringing this county to its knees is beyond the pale and should be roundly condemned. Is that right? Pathetic… I’m envisioning him driving a car with a ‘Mean people suck’ bumper sticker. No room for ‘Save the baby humans’ or ‘Abortion Stops a Beating Heart’ though.

No, I can’t muster an ounce of outrage on her behalf, regardless of how tasteless the timing and subject matter might have been. Not that I’ve tried…

pannw on July 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM

This man is an absolute moron… He could have carried out his charrade for a good 20 min on MSNBC if he had just started with “Bush brought down Malaysian Air flight 311…”

Glenn Jericho on July 18, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Kyrstal Ball needs to go back to pole dancing…a great headline name.

Sorry, but MSNBC has been pulling pranks like this for years under the guise of a “legitimate” news organization.

And the fact that she had no idea what he was saying, she wasn’t listening she is just a talking head, can only be proven under these kind of situations.

And the odds of a family member watching a network that has the lowest ratings of any network news, is pretty slim.

Everyone else is serious, as they should be, MSNBC is not…

right2bright on July 18, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Krystal was DeBalled

These MSNBC so-called hosts are just dialing it in not unlike how Obama runs the country. They only look for some key words they were told to highlight, not really paying any kind of attention to what’s said. hence they are nothing but news readers. On second thought, if people like her are so gullible as to believe in AlGore’s scam, why should another be surprised that she believes in the power of Howard Stern’s arse power??

poxoma on July 18, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Horse shit Noah. The pranker showed everyone what dimwitted twits the assholes at NBC hire to deliver news. MSLSD has never shown the slightest hint of humility or seriousness in other tragic events. They deserve to be mocked and mocked harshly.

RobertE on July 18, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Just as funny today as it was yesterday. Remove the stick from your behind, Noah.

tyketto on July 18, 2014 at 9:13 AM

The dumbass is the guy on the phone and her producers. Broadcasters have a 6 second delay so that they can delete comments like that. I feel sorry for the young lady. She was trying to save the moment but the dumbass doubled down on his idiocy.

cajunpatriot on July 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Noah, my man…..

First, its MSNBC so we know it isn’t a newscast. Second, Hillary has already confirmed its no big deal, and it’s someone else’s problem. Third, the “newscaster” is a known wearer of dildo’s, so what the serious-O-meter of the segment starts at a negative number.

Didn’t you get the memo?

BobMbx on July 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM

That was hilarious, is you have a sense of humor. Stern fans have been doing that since the 80′s.

And if it had happened to Fox News, it would be SCREAMING HEADLINES everywhere today.

Moesart on July 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM

As it turns out neither of MSNBC’s viewers could have had family on the plane. There were no Americans on board.

papertiger on July 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Happened to a perfect nitwit. With apologies to the families of the deceased.

Jaibones on July 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM

His own analysis to the contrary, Rix has quite thoroughly proven himself to be a troll, and ought, therefore, to be treated as such.

Please, folks, disengage. The value of discussion vanishes when there is no reasonable expectation that one side’s views will be considered by the other. There is no question that it will not back down, will not “condescend” to the equity of a view unlike its own, and will certainly continue to consume every bit of energy offered to it.

Quit feeding it. Now I’m going to appear to refuse my own advice. . .

Rix,

You seem like a person with a good grasp of the English language. That doesn’t automatically translate into effective rhetoric or logical understanding, a consideration quickly proven in your case, as you attempt to fence verbally with others. Those few statements you’ve made which seem on the surface to be of some substance, actually fall flat. The idea that life only has value where religion applies it is such a sad thought. You certainly value your own life, to the point of defending your “heartless” statements. Why be so thoroughly dismissive of the value of another human’s existence?

By the way, just to make sure you’ve been told, God loves you. And here’s the rub; it doesn’t matter what you think about Him, you can’t damage that love He has for you. All you can do to hurt Him is to come to the conclusion of your life without choosing to love Him back, at which point He will sadly permit you the final result of your free will, which is eternal separation from Him. Trust me, you don’t want that.

Freelancer on July 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Captain Janks stated the reason now he continues these prank calls to news channels is because they put anyone on the air without fact checking, and he is happy to expose that.

V-rod on July 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM