Video: The lady ninja

posted at 2:41 pm on July 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, watching this makes me feel like half a man. Not because I’m a candy-ass beta male who couldn’t complete the course, although I am and I couldn’t. It’s because I’d never heard of “American Ninja Warrior” until today. I’ve spent years boring myself with “The Walking Dead” when I could have been bro-ing out, watching people running up walls?

How did this blind spot happen? Why wasn’t I aggressively marketed to?

The clip is postworthy because Catanzaro’s the first woman to complete this course and qualify for the show’s final “Mt. Midoriyama” challenge in Vegas. Her agility isn’t surprising — she’s a trained gymnast — but some of the upper-body endurance tasks are grueling. Stick with it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Cool, thanks for posting this…

OmahaConservative on July 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM

She’s very… flexible…

ConstantineXI on July 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Weird…me and my kids love this show and I watch Walking Dead with some America’s Test Kitchen…that is about it. So what have you been watching instead Allah?

Oh and now that you like it I am going to hate on it.

ClassicCon on July 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I never saw the part where they try to knock each other off the platforms with the big foam barbells. Is that the next episode?

rogerb on July 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Our family watches this show all the time. I was ecstatic for this young lady when she completed the course. It’s really a major accomplishment.

GAbred on July 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM

impressive

brak on July 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Whattatush!

JohnBrown on July 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Watch it all the time…good story lines as well with the folks who face the challenge..

hillsoftx on July 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

2 things:

1) I will never admit to watching this (its a guy-thing)

2) What is up with the dude waving a “Hi Mom” sign? Man, there’s a gorgeous lady swinging on the playground in tight clothes, and that dweeb tries to pass a note to his mom?

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

“Mt. Midoriyama”

So it’s called Mt. Greenmountain?

Good Solid B-Plus on July 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM

A-mazing. Wow.

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I’d hit it!

- lorien1973

pain train on July 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I need a nap.

Old eagle on July 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Her mom should be locked up for child neglect.

On a more serious note, they went on and on about her small frame being a disadvantage, but I think in her case it is a huge advantage. Women do not have the upper body strength of men, but her small stature means she didn’t need that kind of strength.

NotCoach on July 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Obama: “She didn’t complete that course.”

faraway on July 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Man, she sure made that all look easy.

Warner Todd Huston on July 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

All that and a great rack.

Rode Werk on July 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I prefer the show Wipeout myself.

WitchDoctor on July 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Obama: “She didn’t complete that course.”

faraway on July 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Warren: She could only do that because we forced her employer to pay for abortifacients.

NotCoach on July 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM

…but neither Kenny Blankenship nor Vic Romano were making many funny comments this episode.

Warner Todd Huston on July 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM

This show would have been better if she had to also kill zombies and then jump over them.

faraway on July 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I have been watching this for years. it’s good. What she did was absolutely amazing but she had to take 2 big leaps during the course and she nailed both. That rarely happens.

Rocks on July 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Stick with it.

Why did you feel the need to include that?

Beauty in motion.

I’ll be in my bunk.

cozmo on July 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM

So what have you been watching instead Allah?

ClassicCon on July 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Since 2007-2008, AllahP has been watching RNC Convention on a DVR loop. He’s never quite gotten past the ‘Cuda disappearing from his large plasma screen.

You do know AP had a galactic-sized crush on her……..

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

No big deal. I could do that course in my mind any day of the week.

But seriously, that young woman is amazing.

NOMOBO on July 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Eh, she’s sort of fit.

Bishop on July 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

That was pretty awesome and makes me want to get back to the gym.

Defenestratus on July 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM

“Mt. Midoriyama”

Isn’t that bit redundant?

DarkCurrent on July 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM

faraway on July 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM

The producers have considered adding the ObamaCare application process to the course, but the contestants threatened to drop out.

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Isn’t that bit redundant?

DarkCurrent on July 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I guess Mt. Midori doesn’t sound epic enough.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM

No, better than what you posted.

No woman has ever got past the “ladder”, let alone the next three obstacles, she is also the only woman to scale the wall…an amazing athlete, simply amazing.

So far beyond anything any woman has done, and I think out of hundreds of men contestants, qualified men, less than ten made it all the way through the course.

And funny, she had that typical “squeaky” voice that top gymnasts seem to have, and an awesome personality…a lot wrapped up in a 100 lb. package.

right2bright on July 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Oddly erotic. His boyfriend is one lucky guy.

Rix on July 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM

but her small stature means she didn’t need that kind of strength.

NotCoach on July 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I think what you meant is her strength to weight ration was much better than the big men.

Her disadvantage, and it almost cost her, was her reach, she had to “leap” where most of the men could reach.

Although I was a little suspicious as they were caught shaving her and feeding her bananas…

right2bright on July 16, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Oddly erotic. His HER boyfriend is one lucky guy.

Rix on July 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I hate autofill… Hate no-editing, too.

Rix on July 16, 2014 at 3:21 PM

obligatory comment about her spectacular looks aside…..I got nothing.

Mord on July 16, 2014 at 3:21 PM

She was smart in using leverage on a lot of the upper-body intensive sections of the course. Do men basically tackle this course the same way? I can see how having more arm/shoulder strength could help, but at the same time being only 100 lbs made it easier in some respects.

hawksruleva on July 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM

This is a Japanese concept that was Americanized. I think that’s why they have “Mt. Midoriyama”. The name of the final obstacle course must be “Midoriyama” over there. I doubt 1 in 100 people even knew “Mt.” was included in the word.

GAbred on July 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I say we build a wall on the southern border with doorways every mile or so. Go through the door and encounter this course except the water is concentrated acid instead.

You make it all the way through, you get to stay, you don’t make it, sizzle bubble sizzle.

Bishop on July 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I guess Mt. Midori doesn’t sound epic enough.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM

They should call it “Mt. Unmei” or “Mt. Kyōfu” or something like that

DarkCurrent on July 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM

OT: the obama legacy

ConservativePartyNow on July 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Impressive.

She is among the elite fit 1%….We of the 99% less fit demand equality in fitness and this example of physical exceptionalism drives too many others to strive for unobtainable heights or makes them give up altogether in frustration.

Please,for the good of fitness fairness for all slack off already!!!

/SNARK

hawkeye54 on July 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Oh and now that you like it I am going to hate on it.

ClassicCon on July 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM

LOL, poor AP.

Cindy Munford on July 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

You make it all the way through, you get to stay enlist and earn your citizenship through serving, you don’t make it, sizzle bubble sizzle.

Bishop on July 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM

NotCoach on July 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM

It’s adapted from a Japanese program called Sasuke (Excellence? I think)

The American version suffers from too much human interest mini documentary biographies of the contestants. But it is enjoyable when they crow about how awesome they are and they’ll be the first ever American Ninja Warrior and then they whiff on the first obstacle.

JohnBrown on July 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

What a distracting video. It was very difficult to ascertain how hard the obstacles were.

UnstChem on July 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

My teenage son asked me this past weekend if I had heard of “Mt. Midoriyama”. I had not until he told me about it.

There’s some interesting info about it here:

ITguy on July 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I was once beat by one of my fourth graders in a 25 yard dash. That’s all I’ll say about my physical abilities. Good for her though.

joekenha on July 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I was switching channels and happened to catch her. Wow, didn’t see anyone else, but heard that the men had a horrible time. She is just 5′ and weighs 100 lbs, so I guess you don’t have to be huge and muscular.
It was fun to watch her.
Thanks for showing it again.

Bambi on July 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I’ve been watching this show for years. Well I’ve watched the original Japanese version which is called Ninja Warrior in the US. (as opposed to the Japanese name Sasuke)

It’s always impressive to watch as the obstacles can be surprisingly difficult.

I will say that compared to the difficultly of the course competitors had to complete in the Venice Finals (where only 2 people finished and only 4 got past the first obstacle past the salmon ladder), the course that Kacy ran was much simplier (7 people finished) and definitely played to her strengths. It is an amazing run when you consider that she’s only five feet tall, but it also made clear that she is likely to struggle at the finals where some of the usual obstacles can be difficult if you are shorter than five eight. The “jumping spider” in particular comes to mind as that has been the end of many shorter competitors for years.

I’m looking forward to seeing her in the national finals in a few weeks. I think they have 4 more regional finals left before they have the full set of 90 competitors for the national finals.

mvargus on July 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

UnstChem on July 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

What obstacles?

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

like sleeping next to gristle

renalin on July 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM

UnstChem on July 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

They were very hard! The polls were way apart and slippery. The ring thingy was AMAZING. SHE HAD TO CLIMB A 14′ WALL. Most men can’t do it.
Most women don’t have the upper body strength to do that as well.

Bambi on July 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Considering some of the obstacles, being huge and muscular would be a significant disadvantage.

hawkeye54 on July 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM

That’s the only episode of that show we watched, taped in front of the Hall of State Building at Fair Park in Dallas (home of the State Fair of Texas), and one of the Art Deco treasures built at Fair Park for the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition.

Ward Cleaver on July 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I’d hit it!

- lorien1973

pain train on July 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Gonna have to agree this time.

Good Lt on July 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I like this show, when I remember it’s on. Impressive feat!

22044 on July 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

What obstacles?

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

The wall at the end is the real obstacle, one that defeats a lot of men. It caused a couple of nasty injuries in Dallas, including a dislocated shoulder. Ouch.

Ward Cleaver on July 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Wow … good show

darwin on July 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

It’s adapted from a Japanese program called Sasuke (Excellence? I think)

Actually Sasuke means Ninja. :P

They started with regionals, in those there would be 100 competitors and they take those that finish through the warped wall, or the top 30 if fewer than 30 reach the wall. They then add 4 more obstacles and take the top 15. From what they said the regional Kacy was in 37 competitors failed on the second obstacle and fewer than 30 finished. For the regional finals, only 7 of the 30 completed it, and only 15 got past the salmon ladder (the first added obstacle). Heck, the guy who finished the regional in the fastest time (and the only one faster than Kacy through the warped wall in the Dallas regional qualifier) failed at the Salmon Ladder.

It’s not quite as tough as Sasuke, where the course designers keep trying for a 0% success rate for the first stage and up the difficulty every year. There has always been at least one person who makes it through though.

mvargus on July 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM

What obstacles?

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Her boyfriend was the only one I noticed.

cozmo on July 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM

hawkeye54 on July 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Cats are in many ways the ninjas of the animal kingdom and notice that they aren’t particularly large, but very agile and flexible. With built in knives…

In tasks not requiring brute strength the female form has a similar advantage over the male.

ConstantineXI on July 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Mighty Impressive!

Now that is an athlete. The endurance and upper body strength alone would put 95% of ALL men to shame, sadly I include myself in that group.

D-fusit on July 16, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I didn’t see her on an episode of Ridiculousness, did I?

Oh wait, that was Chanel, West Coast.

ToddPA on July 16, 2014 at 3:53 PM

BTW, her mentor and boyfriend who had made it all the way to Japan before, did not make it this time. He was the one cheering her on.
Fun to watch her again. Can you imagine how her arms must’ve been aching?

Bambi on July 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Bishop on July 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I don’t know, I think we should stick to gators and moats.

GWB on July 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM

That was fun; what an incredible athlete.

Midas on July 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I want her diet.She does all of that because of her diet,right?

docflash on July 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM

She’s a grad of Towson U., where I got my Masters! Woot!

nukemhill on July 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Bishop on July 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Fo shizzle!

pain train on July 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM

SHE HAD TO CLIMB A 14′ WALL.

Bambi on July 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

It’s even harder than that, because the wall curves toward you at the top.

Kensington on July 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Bambi on July 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Wait. She made it, but he didn’t?

Dude. She’s going to dump you.

Kensington on July 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Probably a Lib.

WhatSlushfund on July 16, 2014 at 4:18 PM

And to think, they have different requirements for men and women in the military, but not on this show. Same course. Same rules.

LoganSix on July 16, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Wait. She made it, but he didn’t?

Dude. She’s going to dump you.

Kensington on July 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Based on his reaction when he failed and she succeeded, I swore that he would dump her. He’s already a little guy. It looked like being bested by an even littler woman, whom he had trained, would be too much for him. It looks like I was wrong and I’m glad of it. Seriously, it’s so great to see somebody succeed at something like that. We were very happy for her. I think there are only two other women who have a shot at doing what Kacy did.

GAbred on July 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM

but her small stature means she didn’t need that kind of strength.

NotCoach on July 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

right2bright on July 16, 2014 at 3:21 PM

She has no hips to weight her down.

slickwillie2001 on July 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM

…Nancy Pelosi…will claim that was her!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM

NotCoach on July 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

The lower weight did require lower strength for holding herself up… but a smaller “wingspan” was a serious difficulty for her moving forward on a number of those obstacles..

Having another foot of “reach” (as a taller person might have) would have simplified a number of those tasks (at the expense of extra weight)…

I’m not sure it was the serious drawback they state; but there was a trade-off at the very least. I wouldn’t say it was a net benefit for her that she couldn’t reach. Especially the crossing after the pull-up “ladder” she wasn’t reaching which required some risky “leaps” where grabbing & pulling herself across would have been simpler.

gekkobear on July 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

One of the men who succeeded was more than a foot taller than her. When he got to the pole section he was able to simply reach from pole to pole without any strain at all. Watching her was definitely more exciting, but also demonstrated just how disadvantaged she is on many obstacles.

mvargus on July 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM

“I remember the day, it was night…ok, when I had to run over water and hold a big log, and climb a wall…I’m a warrior you know”

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM

3 words: Female Marine Infantry! Stronger than a lot of Marines I know, and much better looking.

BJ* on July 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM

THAT IS RIDICULOUS!

Omg she’s so little, and so fierce! Her strength is incredible. Showing this to my daughter!

Bee on July 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Dude. She’s going to dump you.

Kensington on July 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

lol of course. Standards.

Bee on July 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM

She can climb my ______________________ anytime she wants. [fill in the blank]

TXUS on July 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM

gekkobear on July 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Can you demonstrate your theory? I’ll wait for the video. I expect you to finish well ahead of her time, and without straining or taking risks.

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM

WOW! That was spectacular!

scalleywag on July 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM

The commentators really hyperbolized how hard it was for this woman, which got a little annoying. But an impressive feat for anyone!

The upper body strength of most women would kill them on an event like this. She was probably helped by being small in that case. I imagine a taller woman would have found it nearly impossible.

(I remember a guy in the Army who was physically small, and you would never think he was all that fit. But he could do 85 pushups in a heartbeat. Sometimes that height-to-weight ratio works to your advantage.)

But when it came to reach, her size was a huge disadvantage. Several times, she basically had to leap to accomplish what a taller person could have just reached for. Fortunately, she compensated well by using her body momentum.

Overall, an incredible accomplishment.

And I can’t help thinking, “That looks like fun.”

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM

My neice’s boyfriend made it through to the second round but washed out in Vegas.

On the episode I saw, a small male mountain climber smoked the course. It was very impressive.

It almost makes me want to go to the gym more.

talkingpoints on July 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM

It’s my understanding they have never given out the half million grand prize for finishing as per said boyfriend, but I have not checked the accuracy of that claim.

talkingpoints on July 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM

How did this blind spot happen?

It’s on NBC. Draw your own conclusions.

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

talkingpoints on July 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Everyone has eventually washed out in Vegas. The ANW version of Mt. Midoriyama has not yet been conquered. The thing I have found interesting over the last few seasons is the introduction of girls. There is no reason why a female can’t be competitive on a course that is more strength and agility than brawn.

I first saw the Japanese version of the show with dubbed commentary. I’m curious if the ANW is shown in Japan.

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM

If she’ll be Ms. Thor, I’m all for the gender change…..

Fathom on July 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM

She didn’t even use her tail.

V7_Sport on July 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM

This is the 6th year they have held an American version of Ninja Warrior and as of right now the best they have ever had was someone get to stage 3 of the finals in Vegas last year (I’m guessing they were using a 4 stage final similar to the Japanese version).

In Japan they have held the contest 30 times and had winners only in seasons 4, 17, 24 and 27. Seasons 24 and 27 were the same winner.

mvargus on July 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Where’s verbaldouche? She should be here telling us how sexually exploitative of women this all is???

bimmcorp on July 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM

It’s even harder than that, because the wall curves toward you at the top.

Kensington on July 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Actually the curve makes it much easier. Without it there are probably few who could scale it. The curve allows your body to hang free when you have gripped the top which basically leaves you with a chin up to finish. If the wall were straight your body would rest against it and you would have to drag your body against the wall to scale the wall making it much harder.

Rocks on July 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I could do that if I wasn’t so old and fat.

Akzed on July 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM

gekkobear on July 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM

If she were taller her arms would be longer.
If her arms were longer she could reach further.
If she could reach further, she could reach and not jump that gap.

Those statements constitute only a “theory” for you?

Which one of those claims do you find so horribly questionable that you require evidence of said claim?

And why would my personal athletic prowess be required for the claim to be true?

gekkobear on July 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Watched a bit last year, more regularly this season. This final qualifying course was much more difficult than last year’s.

The final course is properly called Midoriyama. The “on-air talent” can’t help adding the improper “Mount” on the front, completely oblivious to the resulting redundancy.

The Warped Wall should be easier than many contestants make it; they don’t consider the launch angle they can get by planting two strides on the lower, upward-curving portion. Most instead try to make their last step on the flat face of the wall, and end up either pushing themselves away from the lip, or bleeding off all upward momentum.

BobMbx on July 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM

You misunderstood what gekkobear was saying. He never suggested that she did it wrong. He said that she was forced, by her smaller wingspan, to leap across gaps where a longer-limbed contestant could have reached. He was clearly pointing out that this created a risk for her, after saying that her smaller frame gave her some advantage in strength-to-weight ratio. I completely agree with his analysis.

Freelancer on July 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM

AP, don’t despair. If you were five feet tall and 100 pounds, I’m sure you could complete the course.

BTW, how old were you when you were five feet, 100 lbs.?

BigAlSouth on July 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Wow, she made that last obstacle look easy.

Walter Sobchak on July 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM